General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Arizona : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 70

2012-03-12 7:20 AM
in reply to: #3911896

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.
Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona : Official Thread

I'm planning on spending most of November down there to acclimate to the weather.  I've got an extended stay booked in Tempe..but thinking about spending a couple weeks training around the grand canyon.

First meeting with a coach later this week, meanwhile, following a full IM plan from Triathlete's training plan book.  24 week plan should have me more than ready for a 70.3 in June, then I'll reset and drop back about 12 weeks in the plan to recover and get on proper schedule for IMAZ.  Unless I end go with this coach...in which case I'll just do what I'm told.

Is it "outside help" if I stop during the bike and buy a cheeseburger?  Mmmmm, maybe I'll just put some leftover pizza in my back pocket...

2012-03-12 11:24 AM
in reply to: #4091321

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale

kmac1346 - 2012-03-11 9:33 PM So, I just did a century as part of my training for Az, and one observation I had for myself is that I'm going to really have to figure out how to carry the amount of food I think I'm going to need.  I don't think I can do the entire race on gels and sports drink.  I am going to need some solid food.  I'm thinking PB&Js, probably Uncrustables, and Honey Stinger waffles.  But, I'm going to have to figure out how to carry them all, including what I put in special needs.  Its continuing to be interesting to try to figure all this out.  I guess that's why so many say just to do a first IM for the experience.

You do not have to carry everything out of T1.  During the downhill on the second loop (about mile 65ish) you have your special needs area.  If you are not familiar with special needs, it is kind of your own little care package.  You can put whatever you like in there - extra nutrition, spare tubes, co2, etc.  If it turns out you do not need some of the stuff, leave it in the SN bag and that way you do not have to carry it.  Unless you are someone who needs vast amounts of "real food" throughout the race, you should be ok with T1 and SN to house your nutrition.

2012-03-14 7:02 AM
in reply to: #4091321

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

kmac1346 - 2012-03-11 9:33 PM So, I just did a century as part of my training for Az, and one observation I had for myself is that I'm going to really have to figure out how to carry the amount of food I think I'm going to need.  I don't think I can do the entire race on gels and sports drink.  I am going to need some solid food.  I'm thinking PB&Js, probably Uncrustables, and Honey Stinger waffles.  But, I'm going to have to figure out how to carry them all, including what I put in special needs.  Its continuing to be interesting to try to figure all this out.  I guess that's why so many say just to do a first IM for the experience.

A couple of things...

1) Why are you training for IMAZ now?  The race is over 8 months away.  There's no need to do 100 mile rides now.  You're going to burn yourself out.  There's a reason most training plans are 12, 16 or 20 weeks and not 36 weeks.

2) You'd be surprised by how well you'll get by on gels and sports drinks.  One thing you need to remember when thinking about your nutrition is what will I be able to digest well because I need to run 26.2 miles after the bike.  PB&J and Uncrustables sound great unless they settle like a brick in your gut. Not saying that is going to happen but it might.  Make sure you practice eating that and running after.

2012-03-14 9:44 AM

User image

Veteran
So I got the hotle thing squared away but wondering if anyone has found any good deal on flights (leaving form philly) Also anyone use the tribike transport? If so what was your experience I think thats the route im gonna go....thanks 
2012-03-14 12:35 PM
in reply to: #4095510

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
GMAN 19030 - 2012-03-14 5:02 AM

A couple of things...

1) Why are you training for IMAZ now?  The race is over 8 months away.  There's no need to do 100 mile rides now.  You're going to burn yourself out.  There's a reason most training plans are 12, 16 or 20 weeks and not 36 weeks.

2) You'd be surprised by how well you'll get by on gels and sports drinks.  One thing you need to remember when thinking about your nutrition is what will I be able to digest well because I need to run 26.2 miles after the bike.  PB&J and Uncrustables sound great unless they settle like a brick in your gut. Not saying that is going to happen but it might.  Make sure you practice eating that and running after.

To be clearer, I ride that century because its with friends and I like to ride my bike.  Its a ride that we do every year.  I have several more on the calendar, but its more because I like to ride.  I figured that while I'm doing that, I ought to start to thinking about what it will be like to do 112 on race day.  I do have some down times planned throughout the year to hopefully avoid burn out.  But this year, I am paying attention to how I feel, what I eat, when to drink etc, just to build the knowledge base.  Then, when I transition to IM prep, I'll have that information to build on.

2012-03-14 12:38 PM
in reply to: #4095857

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens
Question on the Special Needs bag.  Once I leave the  IMAz bike course, will I ever see the Bike SNBag again?  Are they returned to transition or recycled?

249 days until Sunday November 18 2012.

2012-03-15 7:36 AM
in reply to: #4096125

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
kmac1346 - 2012-03-14 12:35 PM
GMAN 19030 - 2012-03-14 5:02 AM

A couple of things...

To be clearer, I ride that century because its with friends and I like to ride my bike.  Its a ride that we do every year.  I have several more on the calendar, but its more because I like to ride.  I figured that while I'm doing that, I ought to start to thinking about what it will be like to do 112 on race day.  I do have some down times planned throughout the year to hopefully avoid burn out.  But this year, I am paying attention to how I feel, what I eat, when to drink etc, just to build the knowledge base.  Then, when I transition to IM prep, I'll have that information to build on.

Fair enough.  I was hoping you weren't doing something ridiculous like riding 100 milers every week starting in March prepping for a race in November.  Don't laugh - there are plenty of people doing that right now for IMFL or IMAZ... a fraction of which will make it to the start line in November.

2012-03-15 8:45 AM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN
While I'm not doing anything crazy like 100 milers yet, I am somewhat started training for AZ.  I'm doing a half iron plan leading up to Alcatraz in June, then a week or so off then starting a full IM plan leading up to AZ, with a 70.3 mid august.  Is that too much, am I doing it wrong?
2012-03-15 9:01 AM
in reply to: #4097303

User image

Expert

Climbinggonzo - 2012-03-15 8:45 AM While I'm not doing anything crazy like 100 milers yet, I am somewhat started training for AZ.  I'm doing a half iron plan leading up to Alcatraz in June, then a week or so off then starting a full IM plan leading up to AZ, with a 70.3 mid august.  Is that too much, am I doing it wrong?

Training for each person will vary, and like GMAN said, many will do too much and burn out.  I personally don't think what YOU are doing is too much as I am doing something similar.  I started training for a HIM in December.  The race is April 1.  I'll have 2 weeks of doing whatever I want before I jump into the 30 week Be Iron Fit plan.  I did this same thing when I did IMFL in 2010 and it worked well for me.  Some people might feel burned out doing it, but the Be Iron Fit program starts will low base stuff, so the first of the program feels pretty simple.  Just pay attention to how you feel as you go.  If you have a plan, follow it and if you feel like you need to take a day off, then do so.  (that's easier to say than actually do).  Some people do well with high volume training and others don't.  

2012-03-15 12:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Well Im training for a martathon I have in two weeks, than take a week off and begin tri season....got the philly tri sprint in June......oly in August......1/2IM in Sept and than IM Az in Nov.....thats my game plan to get ready
2012-03-15 12:24 PM
in reply to: #4097334

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens
While it doesn't blend into the 30 week training schedule perfectly, with 35 weeks to go, I've commited myself to 8weeks of #Fastcamp.  A little taste of speed EN style should spice things up a bit. 

2012-03-16 1:33 PM

First time doing an ironman this year. Whats the weather like usually over there? Anything else i need to watch out for?
2012-03-16 3:30 PM
in reply to: #4099650

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens
jbahjj - 2012-03-16 11:33 AM First time doing an ironman this year. Whats the weather like usually over there? Anything else i need to watch out for?

I think most IMAZ racers will say the wind is the biggest weather factor to be considered.
2012-03-17 2:42 AM

User image

Munhall, Pa

Hi folks, just joining the group. I haven't been on BT in forever.

This will be my first IM, and I'm looking forward to sharing information. 

Edited by zoroya 2012-03-17 2:46 AM
2012-03-21 8:57 AM

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN
Has anyone used Bike Transport company to transport your bike?  They do Arizona and I have looked into them and it seems reasonable.  I don't think they break down your bike at all.  Can you get your bike a couple days before the race to ride, etc.? Just looking for feedback. Thanks.
2012-03-21 9:19 AM
in reply to: #4106270

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN

Buckshot - 2012-03-21 8:57 AM Has anyone used Bike Transport company to transport your bike?  They do Arizona and I have looked into them and it seems reasonable.  I don't think they break down your bike at all.  Can you get your bike a couple days before the race to ride, etc.? Just looking for feedback. Thanks.

Where would your drop off be in the cities?  I haven't looked into it yet, I'm hoping to get a better deal by renting a box and flying Southwest.  That way I'll have the bike with me and not have to give it up a week before the race.

2012-03-21 10:08 AM
in reply to: #4106322

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN
Climbinggonzo - 2012-03-21 9:19 AM

Buckshot - 2012-03-21 8:57 AM Has anyone used Bike Transport company to transport your bike?  They do Arizona and I have looked into them and it seems reasonable.  I don't think they break down your bike at all.  Can you get your bike a couple days before the race to ride, etc.? Just looking for feedback. Thanks.

Where would your drop off be in the cities?  I haven't looked into it yet, I'm hoping to get a better deal by renting a box and flying Southwest.  That way I'll have the bike with me and not have to give it up a week before the race.

The drop off is Gear West.  From what I have been able to find out from GW and reading other blogs, the transport company packs your bike onto a truck.  No pedals, or disc wheels, or hydration systems (ie Xlab).  They are well wrapped and then they set up a station at the race site.  I have looked at FedEx ground, and the airlines.  The advantage with Bike Transport is that you will not have to set up your bike once you get to the race.  Perhaps a tweak on the derailleur, but that is about it. Install pedals, hydration, etc.  One disadvantage is that it takes about 10 days to ship the bike.  I think the cost is $300.  

2012-03-21 11:12 AM
in reply to: #4106441

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens
I've decided to use 'Raceday Transport.'  Same pricing structure as the others.  The pickup is my local bike shop.  I can claim the bike in IMAZ on Thursday. They also offer a service where they pickup my bike and wetsuit from Transition on my behalf after the race.   I do not currently own a Bike box.
2012-03-21 11:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale

Tri-Bike Transport is one of the official sponsors of WTC and Ironman.  I noticed their trailer and pick up station about 300 yards from the finish line at IM AZ this last year (in the Macayo's parking lot around the corner from the finish chute).

I have not used them, but a friend of mine used them for CdA in 2010, and they took good care of his ride.  The only bummer is you have to turn your bike in about a week in advance, and he did not get it back until a couple of weeks after the race.  My understanding is you can pick it up a few days early at the race to get some warm up rides in and to check it into transition on Saturday.

If you are coming to AZ (or any other race, for that matter) and are not comfortable taking components off your bike and traveling with it, I would recommend the transport companies.  They do this all the time, and I am sure they take great care of the bikes.

2012-03-22 7:38 AM

Regular
Crofton, MD
Tribike transport is awesome... I used them for IMCdA and will use them again. You drop your bike off, you can also drop off an equipment bag to go along with it. I put all my gear in it. You cant fly with CO2, so this worked well, also, I put all my nutrion in it as well, water bottles, etc. Then when you arrive, it arrives together, no need to put your bike back together. THe only thing they ask is if you will remove your peddles and carbon water bottle cages, then when you pick up your bike, they put the peddles back on. The bikes arrived for IMCdA on Wednesday, so if gave plenty of time to go out and ride. After the race, short walk over, drop it off, and you will see again about the same time your body says "i'm ready to go out for an easy ride". I hope this helps.
2012-03-22 1:59 PM
in reply to: #4107860

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

jborneman3 - 2012-03-22 7:38 AM Tribike transport is awesome... I used them for IMCdA and will use them again. You drop your bike off, you can also drop off an equipment bag to go along with it. I put all my gear in it. You cant fly with CO2, so this worked well, also, I put all my nutrion in it as well, water bottles, etc. Then when you arrive, it arrives together, no need to put your bike back together. THe only thing they ask is if you will remove your peddles and carbon water bottle cages, then when you pick up your bike, they put the peddles back on. The bikes arrived for IMCdA on Wednesday, so if gave plenty of time to go out and ride. After the race, short walk over, drop it off, and you will see again about the same time your body says "i'm ready to go out for an easy ride". I hope this helps.

It does help.  I am staying about 40 minutes away from Tempe with family.  Can I bring my bike from the race venue to their home and drop it off on Saturday?  That would be ideal since I want to do some riding on their side of town prior to the race and not have to drive to Tempe on Thursday and Friday to bike. 

2012-03-22 3:29 PM
in reply to: #4108709

Regular
Crofton, MD

It does help.  I am staying about 40 minutes away from Tempe with family.  Can I bring my bike from the race venue to their home and drop it off on Saturday?  That would be ideal since I want to do some riding on their side of town prior to the race and not have to drive to Tempe on Thursday and Friday to bike. 

Yes, Once you pick up your bike its yours until you rack your bike on Saturday for the race.
2012-03-23 10:52 AM

Nutrition question. If i burn about 2300 calories on a 3 hour bike, how much should i be taking in an hour?

2012-03-23 1:43 PM

User image

Veteran
I called tribike transport and they answered all my questions I will be going with them to transport my bike.....cant beat it and its headache free....haha. one thing less to worry about
2012-03-23 3:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin

Guess I should check in... training moving forward. Century ride tomorrow, Capitol 10K Sunday, then LoneStar 70.3 next weekend.

Hope everybody is doing ok. By the way, I will be driving out for IMAZ, so if any of you who will be flying in need CO2 cartridges when you get there, let me know in advance. I can get a box full at Amazon fairly cheaply compared to buying at the stores. If you don't use them and want to give them back, we can work out the $$ or donate them to a cycling club when I get back to Austin.

As long as I am here, I want to mention that if any of you know any military veteran-athletes that would be interested in participating in the Austin Triathlon Camp with Team Red, white and Blue, send them to www.AustinTriCamp.com to sign up. We do have some slots still open.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Arizona : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 70