BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2012-01-03 3:41 PM
in reply to: #3968883

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)

Dave,

I think I made the corrections

Edited by TLakatos1259 2012-01-03 3:42 PM

2012-01-03 3:42 PM
in reply to: #3968911

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)
TLakatos1259 - 2012-01-03 3:41 PMI think I made the corrections
Yes. I can see your logs now!!
2012-01-03 3:48 PM
in reply to: #3942395

Master
SouthSide of Chicago
So this Training Log on BT.com.  How do I link my TP.com log to it?  Does anyone know how?
2012-01-03 5:49 PM
in reply to: #3967744

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Ybeal - 2012-01-03 8:47 AM

Hi all, I have a couple of swim questions....

The first is really for DH, what is the best way to ramp up with swimming and get breathing under control? Is it best to work with a kick board, just start slow, or what? He's not liking my advice given that I'm a newbie too

Second, any women with long hair that have any tips for swimming? I'm using a swim cap but my hair gets soaked no matter what which means swim training can only happen at the end of the day or on days I'm not working.  I'd like to cut it off but I don't think DH will go for that!

Managed to do 500 yard swim today and 30 min/7miles on the stationary bike today - wish I could have biked outside today but it's cold in NC! 27 degrees, I know, I know, that's nothing to you northerners, believe me I know since I'm originally from Canada but man i'm spoiled now!!

Yvonne

Swimming and breathing...I always want to know how hard you are kicking if you feel super tired at the end. A vigorous kick is good for a short effort but anything longer than that you need to have a more energy conserving kick.

But honestly, for swimming if anyone is REALLY struggling, I have to recommend some sort of coaching. It is really difficult to overcome poor form with brute strength. My husband is a better athlete than I am, but I can swim circles around him because my form is better...kind of fun but a little scary to think of what he will be able to do when his form improves.

For hair, the advice I got here on BT was to get your hair soaked with fresh water in the shower before you swim. A swim cap is not going to keep it dry. If I need my hair dry I budget time to dry it after my workout...

But honestly, I don't know that it helps much...my hair gets pretty trashed after a while. I always get a deep condition when I get my highlights touched up...I use moroccan dry oil too, but again, I don't know that it helps much...

I like my hair long, so I just put up with it and keep trying new things...

Q

2012-01-03 6:37 PM
in reply to: #3969226

User image

Veteran

Q, thanks for the advice and I'll give it a try....guess I'll have to suffer through

2012-01-03 7:20 PM

User image

Veteran

Is it important to have a specific training plan with distances/heart rate targets or will minutes suffice? Trying to decide if I should buy a plan or just use one of the free minutes ones ....thoughts?

Yvonne

2012-01-03 7:25 PM
in reply to: #3965975

User image

Veteran

Thanks for the props on the double and the info.  I love double workout days! I'm going to add everyone tonight.

Michel.Sutton - 2012-01-02 9:25 AM

Jacki,

Great double... you got me committed to one too. Weather is warm (32F, balmy for me) this morning in the "Great White North". Got to clense the NYE excesses!

Friend list add:      top of page >settings>training blog customization>friends   then add the names (e.g. Michel.Sutton) and click on "update friends". Hope this helps

Happy New Year to all of you!

2012-01-03 7:26 PM
in reply to: #3966015

User image

Veteran

oriolepwr - 2012-01-02 9:44 AM
DaDooRunRun - 2012-01-02 7:59 AM

Got in a 3.18mi run this morning...brrrr...cold and windy!  Skipped yesterday...decided to have a jammy day.  Saturday, though, did a long NYE workout to justify the lasagna and cocktails I had planned for the 2012 celebration.  Did 3.23mi run and then a 90 minute spin class. 

A few of you have mentioned adding each others as friends so you can share training logs.  How do you do that?  I'd like to as well.

Also interested in any basic tips you all have on nutrition.  For the last several years I've followed Weight Watchers on-line on and off and it's been very effective when I want to drop a few pounds.  But, I think it probably isn't the best option to just count "points" when I'm working out so much.  Thoughts you have or resources you know of?

Happy 2012 Gang!

Jacki

Jacki

www.myfitnesspal.com   is a free site.  For all of you apple product fans, its also an app for Iphone and Ipad)   of all the log your food sites out there that I have seen, this one seems to have the best food database.     Another great thing about it is that it does subtract out what you have burned in training.     Both me and my DW  use it.   YES They even have Kirkland brand items in there.   hee hee

And Happy 2012 to you too!

Great...thanks...I'll check it out.

2012-01-03 7:31 PM
in reply to: #3966062

User image

Veteran
oriolepwr - 2012-01-02 10:14 AM

mjh1975 - 2012-01-01 7:55 PM I got a 6.5mile run in today. Good tempo but got bored to tears on the treadmill. Anyone else get bored with treadmills?Pool time planned for tomorrow.

Nice run Matt,

Dreadmill, Satan's Sidewalk,  rodent wheel etc are some affectionate names for the treadmill.   I really like running on the treadmill and I don't get bored with it at all.  Hardly anyone will agree with me but I might actually even prefer running on the tready. versus outside.   ESPECIALLY on garbage day in the summer!      Now I do manage to get bored in the pool....  So need a lil help there. 

I'm with you Matt.  DREADmill is right.  I avoid it unless there's rain or snow/ice on the ground. Cold Indiana temps don't even stop me now!  The gym I belong to has an indoor track that's 200 meters.  Running in circles is equally borning.  Sometimes when I'm stuck indoors I split my distances on the DREADmill and the indoor track.  That seems to make it more bearable!

Jacki

2012-01-03 7:35 PM
in reply to: #3968934

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

mjh1975 - 2012-01-03 3:48 PM So this Training Log on BT.com.  How do I link my TP.com log to it?  Does anyone know how?

Click on the settings icon that looks like a wrench and go into training log settings...there is a tab that says import log data. The only option is to import a .csv file. Beyond that, it's hard for me to know if that will do what you need it to. But I don't see the elegant option to simply link the accounts and push data.

Q

2012-01-03 7:40 PM
in reply to: #3969435

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
DaDooRunRun - 2012-01-03 7:31 PM
oriolepwr - 2012-01-02 10:14 AM

mjh1975 - 2012-01-01 7:55 PM I got a 6.5mile run in today. Good tempo but got bored to tears on the treadmill. Anyone else get bored with treadmills?Pool time planned for tomorrow.

Nice run Matt,

Dreadmill, Satan's Sidewalk,  rodent wheel etc are some affectionate names for the treadmill.   I really like running on the treadmill and I don't get bored with it at all.  Hardly anyone will agree with me but I might actually even prefer running on the tready. versus outside.   ESPECIALLY on garbage day in the summer!      Now I do manage to get bored in the pool....  So need a lil help there. 

I'm with you Matt.  DREADmill is right.  I avoid it unless there's rain or snow/ice on the ground. Cold Indiana temps don't even stop me now!  The gym I belong to has an indoor track that's 200 meters.  Running in circles is equally borning.  Sometimes when I'm stuck indoors I split my distances on the DREADmill and the indoor track.  That seems to make it more bearable!

Jacki

I'm the same...

I'll use it if it's the only way I'll get a run in that day, but I have learned to embrace running in the cold. The weirdest thing that happened is now I can barely stand to have TOO much clothing on...I get WAY too hot. Weird.

2012-01-03 7:44 PM
in reply to: #3966443

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies-OPEN
mrkwhittaker - 2012-01-02 1:54 PM

With the new year, my goal for weight loss will be not not toss the eat less part (perhaps eat less is a bad way to say it, but rather eat more useful, or more healthy).

Mark W.

Mark...I like that...eat more usefully...not eat less.  I don't really struggle with weight much, but I don't make very good choices.  I'm good at planting images/words in my mind and using them.  I think I'm going to plant that in my brain...eat UESFULLY.  Thanks!

2012-01-03 7:55 PM
in reply to: #3969226

User image

Veteran
quincyf - 2012-01-03 6:49 PM

The first is really for DH, what is the best way to ramp up with swimming and get breathing under control? Is it best to work with a kick board, just start slow, or what? He's not liking my advice given that I'm a newbie too

Second, any women with long hair that have any tips for swimming? I'm using a swim cap but my hair gets soaked no matter what which means swim training can only happen at the end of the day or on days I'm not working.  I'd like to cut it off but I don't think DH will go for that!

Managed to do 500 yard swim today and 30 min/7miles on the stationary bike today - wish I could have biked outside today but it's cold in NC! 27 degrees, I know, I know, that's nothing to you northerners, believe me I know since I'm originally from Canada but man i'm spoiled now!!

Yvonne

Swimming and breathing...I always want to know how hard you are kicking if you feel super tired at the end. A vigorous kick is good for a short effort but anything longer than that you need to have a more energy conserving kick.

But honestly, for swimming if anyone is REALLY struggling, I have to recommend some sort of coaching. It is really difficult to overcome poor form with brute strength. My husband is a better athlete than I am, but I can swim circles around him because my form is better...kind of fun but a little scary to think of what he will be able to do when his form improves.

For hair, the advice I got here on BT was to get your hair soaked with fresh water in the shower before you swim. A swim cap is not going to keep it dry. If I need my hair dry I budget time to dry it after my workout...

But honestly, I don't know that it helps much...my hair gets pretty trashed after a while. I always get a deep condition when I get my highlights touched up...I use moroccan dry oil too, but again, I don't know that it helps much...

Q

Appreciate the swim tips.  Thanks!

Jacki

2012-01-03 8:26 PM

User image

Veteran

Happy to say I got my butt back in the pool today and swam 1000 yards.  I did alright.  It bothers me that I have to think so much about the breathing.  When I run...I just breathe.  Thinking about it and planning for it stresses me out.  Just gonna keep doing it though!

So...here's a question...what's with the DH or DW references when we're talking about our spouses?  Darling Husband?  Dear Husband?  Dumb Husband?  I can't figure it out!!

2012-01-03 8:31 PM

New user

When you suggest swim coaching, would taking a swim class at my community college be sufficient or do I need a specific trainer?

I'm glad to see Jacki asked about the DH.  I was wondering the same thing.

Also, I'm not familiar with blog posting, but I notice that many of the posts include text from a previous post.  Are you just copying/pasting sections to which you are referring? 

2012-01-03 8:34 PM
in reply to: #3967485

New user

I have to chuckle at that statement, my gf is an attorney and when we argue I usually am on the losing side unless I have a very strong case. Lol.

In addition to training for the tri, maybe I can coach you in debate

2012-01-03 8:39 PM
in reply to: #3969556

User image

Veteran
lmo123 - 2012-01-03 9:31 PM

When you suggest swim coaching, would taking a swim class at my community college be sufficient or do I need a specific trainer?

I'm glad to see Jacki asked about the DH.  I was wondering the same thing.

Also, I'm not familiar with blog posting, but I notice that many of the posts include text from a previous post.  Are you just copying/pasting sections to which you are referring? 

On the right side of each post, you can either hit "quote" or "reply".  If you hit "quote", it will quote the text.  From that point, you can cut and post and bold and highlight, etc., if you like.

My DH taught me that...whatever that means. 

Jacki

2012-01-03 8:54 PM
in reply to: #3969573

New user

DaDooRunRun - 2012-01-03 8:39 PM
lmo123 - 2012-01-03 9:31 PM

On the right side of each post, you can either hit "quote" or "reply".  If you hit "quote", it will quote the text.  From that point, you can cut and post and bold and highlight, etc., if you like.

My DH taught me that...whatever that means. 

Jacki

Haha!!

2012-01-03 9:02 PM
in reply to: #3969546

User image

Veteran
DaDooRunRun - 2012-01-03 9:26 PM

Happy to say I got my butt back in the pool today and swam 1000 yards.  I did alright.  It bothers me that I have to think so much about the breathing.  When I run...I just breathe.  Thinking about it and planning for it stresses me out.  Just gonna keep doing it though!

So...here's a question...what's with the DH or DW references when we're talking about our spouses?  Darling Husband?  Dear Husband?  Dumb Husband?  I can't figure it out!!

LOL! Of course when I use DH it means KissDear HusbandKiss  (just in case he's reading this).....

2012-01-03 9:17 PM
in reply to: #3969546

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
DaDooRunRun - 2012-01-03 8:26 PM

You got it Jacki   its    DW=Dear Wife  or  DH= Dear Husband     (Darling works too heh)

2012-01-03 9:18 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
I have to go to bed....       Just wanted to say that this Tour is really ROCKING!!!   I think this is a great group!  love the energy here!

2012-01-03 9:33 PM
in reply to: #3969481

New user

DaDooRunRun - 2012-01-03 7:55 PM
quincyf - 2012-01-03 6:49 PM

Yvonne

Q

Appreciate the swim tips.  Thanks!

Jacki

Hey, Jackie,

Like you, I get pretty winded swimming.  Doing yoga has helped my breathing capacity, but I'm a chest breather which means I breathe shallowly.  I just reading some of Q&A and came across suggestions for improving swimming.   One suggestion is to train using a flipboard to slow down your swim stroke and practice bi-lateral breathing.  Here's the link: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=783

Lauren

2012-01-03 11:23 PM
in reply to: #3969562

Rochester
lmo123 - 2012-01-03 9:34 PM

I have to chuckle at that statement, my gf is an attorney and when we argue I usually am on the losing side unless I have a very strong case. Lol.

In addition to training for the tri, maybe I can coach you in debate

I need all the training in debating. It has helped me a ton having her around because it makes me think several moves ahead. It does help me. I am a nurse and we have an agreement that if I ever save a life of a Supreme Court Judge that I never have to do any work in the house ever!
2012-01-03 11:37 PM
in reply to: #3969607

User image

Expert
Hammond
Ybeal - 2012-01-03 9:02 PM
DaDooRunRun - 2012-01-03 9:26 PM

LOL! Of course when I use DH it means KissDear HusbandKiss  (just in case he's reading this).....

Yeah that's what I mean too. Never damn husband or dumb husband or anything of that sort. No never those.

Shelly

2012-01-04 6:36 AM
in reply to: #3969664

User image

Veteran

Hey, Jackie,

Like you, I get pretty winded swimming.  Doing yoga has helped my breathing capacity, but I'm a chest breather which means I breathe shallowly.  I just reading some of Q&A and came across suggestions for improving swimming.   One suggestion is to train using a flipboard to slow down your swim stroke and practice bi-lateral breathing.  Here's the link: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=783

Lauren

I'll definitely check that out thanks, Lauren.  However, DH just pointed out, and you can interpret the D for yourself on this one, just pointed out that if I slow my swim stroke down, the current of the pool would take me backwards!  Ha ha...but he's right! 

Jacki

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 44