BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2012-01-03 3:22 PM
in reply to: #3943322

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED

2012-01-03 3:28 PM

User image

Expert

Good to see you back Sarah and Keith.

I ended up getting a workout in but not what I was planning.  I was all set to get to the pool this morning until Myles was up from 1:30am to 5am.  My wife looked miserable with him when she cam up at 4am so I took over and ended up just doing a 45 minute bike/15 minute run brick after he fell asleep.  The pool will have to wait until tomorrow...

2012-01-03 3:30 PM

User image

Expert
So Brian (SkinnyArm) - Been meaning to ask...what event company are you working for now and what race are you working in Chicago?
2012-01-03 3:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

For the IM Moo crowd.  I did it last year.  It was pretty good information.

http://www.evotri.com/2011/12/team-evotri-presents-wiba-2012.html

2012-01-03 4:51 PM

User image

Expert

Thanks to Scott, KC and Dave for helping promote my site www.thetriathlonreport.com!  I took some time off for the holidays but updated today.  Check it out.  You can also follow the page on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/TriathlonReport

2012-01-03 4:51 PM
in reply to: #3968954

User image

Expert

I registered last week for this!!

IceManScott - 2012-01-03 3:56 PM

For the IM Moo crowd.  I did it last year.  It was pretty good information.

http://www.evotri.com/2011/12/team-evotri-presents-wiba-2012.html

2012-01-03 7:24 PM
in reply to: #3968875

User image

Veteran

tmoran80 - 2012-01-03 4:30 PM So Brian (SkinnyArm) - Been meaning to ask...what event company are you working for now and what race are you working in Chicago?

Vision Event Management - We have 13.1 Marathon Chicago on 6/9/12 and Chicago 1/2 Marathon and 5K on 9/9/12.  Also Madison 1/2 Marathon 8/18 and Summerfest Rock N Soul on 7/23

2012-01-03 7:43 PM

User image

Regular

Here's a dumb question for the group.  Am I the only real newbie here as far as triathlons go? (Done 1 sprint.)  Is it ok for me to hang out with all the cool kids when I know nothing and can't contribute much advice?  All this IM talk, and I probably won't do my first IM for another year or two, but it's kinda fun to see everyone getting excited about it.

Speaking of being a total noob, I just bought my first big girl shoes and pedals today.  Haven't put them on the bike yet, but will tomorrow.  So it should be hilarious if anyone wants to come to my neighborhood and watch me fall down over and over. 

2012-01-03 8:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI

Good evening!

I survived the computrainer ride today.  It was a tough one!  We did a "moderate" course, but there was two decent climbs at 5.1 and 9.9 grade.  My legs are tired!  It was good though,  out of the three sports, the bike is my weakest.  My friend who is helping me with training gave me the nickname the poky puppy last year because of how slow I was, but she reassured me that my training will transform me into a Whippet (fast little greyhound).  Does anyone have any advice on how to improve your strength and power on the bike?  Just through time in the saddle?

Monique- If anything, you are in a great group because there are lots of people here with experience to give you advice! 

Sarah- The powerplate gym sounds awesome!  I am working on my doctorate right now in biomechanics, and our research lab has actually applied for a grant to get funding for a vibration plate to conduct research on the effects it has on muscle function and joint movements.  Thanks for the link to your gym!

For those who have done IMWI, what would you say is your number one piece of advice for training leading up to the race?

Have a great night everyone!!

Jenny

2012-01-03 8:53 PM
in reply to: #3965755

User image

Subject: RE: Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! OPEN

Great!  I got the script on my BT Blog page.  Thanks!  Yep, I'm in for IMAZ.  Didn't make the registration for IMFL so opted for AZ.  I'm excited to look at the Fink IM plan, thanks for that as well.  I am a Computrainer user and need help improving my performance on the bike.  Look forward to seeing posts from the Netherlands.  One of my inspirations in doing Tri's is to be able to travel and see other parts of the world.  So, just hearing about France is inspirational.  

All right, I didn't go running midnight new years eve.  Decided to do one last ride since I was in charleston, sc.  Had a good time. Jan. 1, 2012 was a no go as I had to drive 11 hour's back to The Space and Rocket Center. . . yes, Huntsville, AL is very near the NASA.  I did get a good 9 mile run in yesterday.  Took tonight off.  Feel guilty.  I had a late meeting.   So, I'm doing a test 5k to set pace zones.  I'll let y'all know how it goes.   

2012-01-03 8:57 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

OK who messed up the sizing on the page???????

Hi Sara and Keith nice to see you guys again.

Brian that is cool that your working in the race field.  You still doing the baskets?

Monique, don't worry about not fitting in.  Heck KC has only a couple races under his belt and is doing IMNYC. 

And were far from the COOL kids we just have fun and support each other! lol

Make sure you practice with the pedals on a trainer before riding out doors.

NIce ride jenny! I might have missed it but do you train with a group?

2012-01-03 9:04 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

Did anyone have the same problem as me today, actually went to the YMCA to swim and drove around about 5 times without finding  a spot and they were parked blocks away.  So I adjusted my plan and will not be swimming this week unless I can go on an off time.  With all the NYE resolution members it will be crazy.   Decided to do a nice and slow 6 mile run and some core work. 

How was everyone's day.

2012-01-03 9:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI

Yep, a couple actually.  There are a ton of triathlon clubs and teams in Milwaukee.  One of the groups I train with is the Racers Against Childhood Cancer (RACC) who recently paired up with Geargrinders, a cycling team.  The team has access to the computrainers at a local bike shop on Tuesday nights for free.  The other two I train with are Team TriFaster (a new team started by my coach), and TriWisconsin (which is a much larger group, but they sponsor various workouts and a couple supported rides of the IMWI and Racine 70.3 courses each summer.

I know what you mean about the YMCA!  I had a similar experience yesterday.  It is ridiculously cold here in Milwaukee, so I decided to run on the treadmill yesterday...it was insane trying to find an open one to run on.  Then for lifting, just finding a corner to do my core exercises was challenging.

2012-01-03 10:48 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hey Team.

Just got home from curling - another loss in the loss column Frown but had some fun.

Keith - welcom back my friend, great to have you with us again - looking forward to an update and your plans for 2012.

Sarah - My Physio guy has one of those vibrating plate things - sound interesting, keep us updated and you are getting a sponsorship - that is great!

Skinnny Arm Brian - let me know if you try out the curling - if you do, you will love it.

Tim - thanks for doing that and Team - if it does not work you can complain to me but I will just foward your complaint to Tim Smile - thanks for being our web master LOL.

Jenny - nice work today and amazing you are doing your doctorate - so many cool people in this group to learn from - awesome.

Coach - we should consider a road trip to Chicago and use the run in June as a training day and sorry to hear you got shut out at the pool - the ones around here have been pretty busy as well. I am sure you were disapointed, I know how much you love to go swimming Laughing.

Monique - don't be silly. Like the Coach, said, I am a novice as well even though I have done some sprints. You have to stick around, we can lean on each other and learn from this team of amazing people. To prove it to you I am posting some pics I posted for this team from the past spring of me falling off my bike before I even got out of my garage LOL. I also posted some pics about a month ago in our old forum when I fell off my bike when it was on my trainer in the basement - Pathetic Smile. Scott even suggested I might want to consider wearing my helmet on my trainer - I did not take it personal.

OK Team - off to bed - ride and a swim tomorrow - Hope you all enjoy these pics - from one of my first rides last spring - I was so brutal, I did not even get out of my garage LOL. Please notice the file names for these pictures Embarassed I made it a whole 3.7 meters before my epic fall - so sad. Don't make to much fun of me ok.

(Keri - consider these my first pics for Picture Wednesday)

Edited by kcgolf 2012-01-03 10:55 PM

(anotherangle3.7meters.JPG)

(bikeonwall.JPG)

(sceneofthecrash.JPG)

(scrapedknee.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
anotherangle3.7meters.JPG (93KB - 3 downloads)
bikeonwall.JPG (94KB - 5 downloads)
sceneofthecrash.JPG (90KB - 6 downloads)
scrapedknee.JPG (72KB - 4 downloads)
2012-01-04 3:16 AM
in reply to: #3968684

User image

Regular
Utrecht
razorxp - 2012-01-03 9:31 PM
Niezels - 2012-01-03 8:19 AM

Here is my IM video if you are interested... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQojI_prd8o

Very cool video. Makes me wanna do an IM too.

I'm sure we can find you one to get into! lol

I'm sure you all will. Though being realistic I'm not sure if I will make one in the next year. As I'm planning to go back to school while keeping my current job I wonder if I have enough free time left to train for a IM. So let's hope that the race in France this yeat will turn me from a addicted one with denial to a flat out junky .

And to add to the list of cool video's. This is the preview of my planned race: http://youtu.be/H3RlvBbbWIQ

2012-01-04 3:24 AM
in reply to: #3969464

User image

Regular
Utrecht
MoniqueGriffith - 2012-01-04 2:43 AM

Speaking of being a total noob, I just bought my first big girl shoes and pedals today.  Haven't put them on the bike yet, but will tomorrow.  So it should be hilarious if anyone wants to come to my neighborhood and watch me fall down over and over. 

Woooohoooot!! And another tip to prevent the clicked in crash: Train yourself a view times to unclick when you decide to break. It has to become a natural thing to unclick like looking in the mirror before breaking in a car.

2012-01-04 3:31 AM
in reply to: #3969611

User image

Regular
Utrecht
razorxp - 2012-01-04 4:04 AM

Did anyone have the same problem as me today, actually went to the YMCA to swim and drove around about 5 times without finding  a spot and they were parked blocks away.  So I adjusted my plan and will not be swimming this week unless I can go on an off time.  With all the NYE resolution members it will be crazy.   Decided to do a nice and slow 6 mile run and some core work. 

How was everyone's day.

I'm very fortunate that we have the pool reserved 5 1/2 hours a week for the tri club. Though we swim with about 36 people over 6 lanes. Since we all know our pace we all swim in the proper lane to swim in and make kinda perfect lines.

My day was a bit bummed since I couldn't run. Having a nasty blister from a hike last week with new shoes, using my running shoes was all but comfortable. But today I get to go swimming again so should be a nice training day 

2012-01-04 3:37 AM
in reply to: #3969591

User image

Regular
Utrecht
Subject: RE: Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! OPEN
bearun - 2012-01-04 3:53 AM

Look forward to seeing posts from the Netherlands.  One of my inspirations in doing Tri's is to be able to travel and see other parts of the world.  So, just hearing about France is inspirational.  

Cool!! Have you already penciled some races over the globe you wanna do? Just make sure you do not go for the long distance triathlon in Almere, Netherlands. Unless you wanna try and go for PR. It is a complete flat course with kinda boring loops.

I will try and take some picks of typical Dutch things for the wednesday picturewall.

2012-01-04 6:06 AM
in reply to: #3969600

User image

Regular
Utrecht

saskat - 2012-01-03 6:36 PM
Oh, and some exciting news is that the owner of the gym said he wanted to sponsor me as an amateur triathlete.  

razorxp - 2012-01-04 3:57 AM
Monique, don't worry about not fitting in.  Heck KC has only a couple races under his belt and is doing IMNYC.

And were far from the COOL kids we just have fun and support each other! lol

Reading these two posts I can understand her worry. With Satah we have an real professional amateur among us. Which is very cool actually....Sarah!!

If it helps you Monique: I have not done any race yet longer than a sprint myself.

2012-01-04 6:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

I have been avoiding the club.  They calm down by the end of January.  Masters pool heater is out, water is 75 but I plan to hit it for the first time tomorrow morning. Yes I will!  Truck was acting up on the way home so I thought I would miss because of mechanicals but it worked OK coming in today so thank god for favors large and small.  (That's just a saying.  I really don't believe god cares about my truck  

I did strength exercises on the computrainer last night.  70 mins with 3 X 15 mins at 85% @ 55 rpm to resemble long hill climbs.  There were 3 X 1 min of extremely high power at 120% during each set.  We do these for a few weeks.  They are the best strength exercise because they target the exact muscles we use for climbing. 

I also did some kettlebells, squats, stretching, yoga and foam rollers.  

Glad to be back at it with the coach. 

I run an hour tonight and more PT.   In the 30s so I'll go outside. 

The Paleo thing is going well.  Lots of energy so far.  Just fruit for breakfast, a salad with chicken for lunch and moderate amount of meat, veggies and fruit for supper.  I am down about 400 calories each day from where I was with the grains and breads.  So far nothing seems to be suffering.  Had plenty of power on the bike last night.  I know this isn't true, but I just feel less bulky already. 

Have a great day.

Ice.

Edited by IceManScott 2012-01-04 6:48 AM
2012-01-04 7:16 AM

User image

Expert

@Monique:  Don't worry about not fitting in.  Despite the fact that I am beginning my 4th year I will be the first to admit that I know nothing of what I am doing.  This is why I joined a mentor group this year.  You may wan't to investigate local triathlon clubs as well.  They can be a good resource for local rides, swims & runs and may provide some insight to your local race/training grounds that you are unaware of now.

Speaking of Tri Clubs, anyone here a member of a Triathlon Club?  If so did your club take part in the USAT National Challenge ( http://www.race-tracker.net/usat/)?

Edited by Batlou 2012-01-04 7:16 AM

2012-01-04 8:44 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Good Morning Team.

Just had enought time to say hello. Have a great day - be safe.

KC

2012-01-04 10:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

I put in a nice 6km trail run yesterday. The snow was mostly packed down which was nice and the trees still had snow on the branches which gave it a nice winter wonderland effect. It was about 3f so it was cool to start but not too bad once I got moving.

No DreadMill for me! Laughing

2012-01-04 10:17 AM
in reply to: #3969875

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Niezels - 2012-01-04 3:24 AM
MoniqueGriffith - 2012-01-04 2:43 AM

Woooohoooot!! And another tip to prevent the clicked in crash: Train yourself a view times to unclick when you decide to break. It has to become a natural thing to unclick like looking in the mirror before breaking in a car.

Clipless pedal stories huh? Well I have used clipless pedals for about 18 years but last year I slowly pulled out of my drive way and heard a funny noise on the bike. I looked back while slowing down trying to figure out what was going on. It turns out a single spoke was lightly hitting my rear derailleur arm. Just as I figured that out I realized I was pretty much stopped and starting to keel over.  No time to unclip so I fell over. doh!

Practice lots and it does become second nature and it well worth the occasional fall when you are starting out.

2012-01-04 11:36 AM

User image

Regular
Utrecht

For my first picture on picture wednesday I went for a shot near Central Station of Utrecht. The town I live in. It is to show that biking over here is quite common and the best form of transport in every town over here.

Which means we hardly have any triathletes over here that are very poor at biking.

And as a result we do have a slight parking issue . Below is just one of the many ally's

Welcome to Holland

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 43