BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's If the world is ending, I'm going to tri!- FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2012-01-09 12:34 PM
in reply to: #3978503

User image

Veteran
Murrieta Calif.
Subject: RE: Eli's If the world is ending, I'm going to tri!- FULL
Mitchparadise - 2012-01-08 4:07 PM

Well, I'm not going to say I have bad news, but not good news, that's for sure.  It seems I Broke my big toe on my race today.  This was such an amazing trail and I think I was too much in my Zen. 

I'm taking this as a blessing in disguise.  I really need to work on my bike and swim as running is my best discipline.  Time to get in the water and get on the bike as soon as I can. 

All things aside I'm still very pumped from this run today.  It was insane. I'll write a race report soon

So sorry Mitch, but let's make the most of it and fucus on your bike and swim! Oceanside is 9 weeks out, let's rock it!

2012-01-09 8:40 PM
in reply to: #3979985

User image

South Florida
Happy Monday evening gang. I'm back from the Ragnar Relay. And WOW is all i can say. What an amazing experience. I had an absolute blast with my team. A few mess-ups here and there, but it was expected. one of our runners was injured and could run the 2nd half of his legs so Eli and another teammate took over the mileage. Everyone put out 110% effort. it was great. I had the joy of running 16.1 glorious miles at around 1am through Islamorada. It was a picturesque evening. Fullish moon and tons of stars reflecting off the ocean. It was THE best run. Suprisingly i'm not to beat up from the run. Had a toenail fall off, and some other toenails are black & blue. But i consider it a par for the course. I'll now rest a few days and go for a few short runs. then its back to 70.3 training. FINALLY
Here's some stats of the relay

Leg 1 8.8 miles
Leg 2 16.1
Leg 3 6.2
Total mileage- 31.1 miles
Total hours spent running-5h3min
Hours slept in 2days- less than 3
2012-01-10 10:40 AM
in reply to: #3943465

User image

Master

Wow, I go away for the weekend and all hell breaks loose!

This is by far the most interesting group I have ever mentored. I have to say, I have heard of some crazy things that happen in training, but never of someone falling through the ceiling.

As Nick said, we are back from Ragnar. My wife, daughter and I stayed an extra day in key west to relax, but today, I am back at it. Got in a short run this morning, and am meeting Nick at the gym tomorrow.

I ran almost 40 miles in the two days of Ragnar, and managed to grab 3 hours of sleep in the Van while Nick ran.

The entire weekend was amazing-loud, hot, cold, dark, bright, busy, smelly and incredible.

2012-01-10 12:57 PM
in reply to: #3975134

User image

Master

Nimue - 2012-01-06 12:08 PM OK I get paid today so I am going to upgrade my gym membership to the one with pool and get back into swimming for the first time in a year.  Yikes!  Also I am taking my friend bike shopping on Sunday and then I am going to take her for ride.  Super excited.  Also-I am so excited for the wether this weekend.  It will give me a goog chance to run and ride.  I am finally settled back in at work and ready to do this.  Happy Friday!

Way to get back at it! How was the bike shopping!

Edited by eliwashere 2012-01-10 1:00 PM
2012-01-10 1:02 PM
in reply to: #3976848

User image

Master
Isomorphism - 2012-01-07 1:49 PM

I wanted to do 5 miles and break a 9 mm average and I'm happy to say I got both... 5 miles in 42 minutes!  I had slight pressure where the knee pain used to be but it was the first time I've run more than 3 miles without pain in 2 months...felt great.  My breathing didn't seem to take too large of a hit which was also encouraging as I was worried about that too.

It seems I'm back in business.  I'll probably do a 4 or so in on Monday and see how everything feels and then back to the chiro on Wednesday to make sure everything is still where it should be.

Great News! That is a great run if you haven't been running in a while.

Don't go too crazy. Sounds like you are still recovering. Make sure you let whatever it was heal and do some rehab to keep it strong.

2012-01-10 1:02 PM
in reply to: #3977007

User image

Master

bufit - 2012-01-07 3:51 PM So after 8 days of strep / sinus infection I finally got my butt off the sofa and knocked out 5 miles this morning.  Weather is great, mid 60's with sun and a slight drizzle, perfect.  Time wasn't the best, 65 minutes, but with a goofy HR and all the snot exiting my lungs and head I can't complain too much.  On a side note, I finally talked one of my friends into the Double Bridge Run in Pensacola in a few weeks.  We figured that since we were going to Mobile to pick up our Mardi Gras costumes we may as well go down a day early and run the bridges.  So....Lexi, we will possibly see ya there.  Full routine starts back Monday, my wife and another couple are starting C25K so Ill meet up with them at some point and combine our runs.  Oh, and I may an impulse buy of a Qunitana Roo on Friday.  It's used but in good condition and for $300 it will either serve as a back up or I'll sell it to a buddy who is thinking of taking the plunge.

Nice! Using Mardi Gras as a training excuse is awesome!

Keep us in the loop about the QR. Pictures maybe?

2012-01-10 1:03 PM
in reply to: #3979280

User image

Master

bufit - 2012-01-09 8:08 AM Good Monday to everyone!!!!  I have your Monday morning funny to carry you through the day.  Last night as it was raining I thought I heard a drip in the attic, so, I went to investigate.  Well apparently the joist I planned on stepping on to get to the area was only a kicker and when I transferred my weight onto it I ended up in my kitchen.  After 5 hours at the ER last night I came home with bruised ribs, cuts and scrapes to my legs and back, an updated Tetanus and lots of pain meds.  I hope my fall from grace will lighten your days like it has all of my other friends and especially my mom.  Stay safe!!

Pictures, or it didn't happen!

2012-01-10 3:43 PM
in reply to: #3982079

User image

Wetumpka, AL

Pic of hole is in my profile along with the "required" self portrait in the ER room.  More pics are on my FB page.  The QR pics will be this weekend.  It's currently in my storage unit as my better half doesn't know I bought it.

Edited by bufit 2012-01-10 4:19 PM
2012-01-10 3:45 PM
in reply to: #3982433

User image

South Florida
If you need a upload a large size picture file, use tinypic.com. It's what i use for forums.
2012-01-10 4:37 PM
in reply to: #3982433

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, NE
bufit - 2012-01-10 3:43 PM

The QR pics will be this weekend.  It's currently in my storage unit as my better half doesn't know I bought it.

Haha that's awesome. Almost all of my new tri stuff is in a hidden spot in our attic for the same reason.

2012-01-10 4:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

Those are some funny *ss pics!  Eli is correct, this was quite a weekend.  

Congrats on your relay.  It sounds like an amazing time!  I would love to be part of something like that.

My big toe is officially broken in 3 places. Got the Xray just in case it was more severe than I thought.  I'm still in a lot of pain but I figure I can be in the water in a day or two, the bike maybe another week till the swelling goes down.  9 weeks until IM California.  No running for prob 4-6 weeks. 

I'm wondering how much more I need to increase my swim and bike to maintain my current fitness?  I feel like I am almost 70.3 ready, just a little short on the bike fitness.  Any ideas on the best way not to lose fitness with no running?

2012-01-10 5:29 PM
in reply to: #3978503

User image

Master
Mitchparadise - 2012-01-08 6:07 PM

Well, I'm not going to say I have bad news, but not good news, that's for sure.  It seems I Broke my big toe on my race today.  This was such an amazing trail and I think I was too much in my Zen. 

I'm taking this as a blessing in disguise.  I really need to work on my bike and swim as running is my best discipline.  Time to get in the water and get on the bike as soon as I can. 

All things aside I'm still very pumped from this run today.  It was insane. I'll write a race report soon

Did you break your toe early and not even notice? That is crazy/hardcore. 

Plus, as you say, good opportunity to get on the bike/swim!

2012-01-10 5:31 PM
in reply to: #3982552

User image

Master
jpfeife - 2012-01-10 4:37 PM
bufit - 2012-01-10 3:43 PM

The QR pics will be this weekend.  It's currently in my storage unit as my better half doesn't know I bought it.

Haha that's awesome. Almost all of my new tri stuff is in a hidden spot in our attic for the same reason.

After what happened to Neal, be careful when you go to get it!

2012-01-10 5:34 PM
in reply to: #3982589

User image

Master
Mitchparadise - 2012-01-10 4:54 PM

Those are some funny *ss pics!  Eli is correct, this was quite a weekend.  

Congrats on your relay.  It sounds like an amazing time!  I would love to be part of something like that.

My big toe is officially broken in 3 places. Got the Xray just in case it was more severe than I thought.  I'm still in a lot of pain but I figure I can be in the water in a day or two, the bike maybe another week till the swelling goes down.  9 weeks until IM California.  No running for prob 4-6 weeks. 

I'm wondering how much more I need to increase my swim and bike to maintain my current fitness?  I feel like I am almost 70.3 ready, just a little short on the bike fitness.  Any ideas on the best way not to lose fitness with no running?

Can you walk after the swelling goes down? You can do steep uphill treadmill walking or water running.

How about Elliptical? or weights? Both can help you keep muscle fitness and the bike will support your cardio.

2012-01-10 6:22 PM
in reply to: #3982654

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Believe me, I knew it was broke instantly. It happened at about mile 9.5 wiith about 500 feet of climbing to go, then about 2000 feet of descending for another 4 Miles or so. I just limped my way to the bottom as about 100 people passed me. being out there in the mountains really makes you push yourself.
2012-01-10 7:39 PM

User image

Evansville, IN
Since I'm limited for a bit to cycling and swimming I found that I really enjoy being in the pool. I found that I can't ever pay attention to how many laps I've done so I just go for a set amount of time. I'll go all out for a few then tone it down repeating while I'm in there. Like I said not too bad at all of course it's easy to see through and heated so that could be it. Lol! Hope everyone is doing good with their training.

2012-01-11 7:42 AM
in reply to: #3982860

User image

Master

neumann_jc - 2012-01-10 7:39 PM Since I'm limited for a bit to cycling and swimming I found that I really enjoy being in the pool. I found that I can't ever pay attention to how many laps I've done so I just go for a set amount of time. I'll go all out for a few then tone it down repeating while I'm in there. Like I said not too bad at all of course it's easy to see through and heated so that could be it. Lol! Hope everyone is doing good with their training.

I am mostly the same way. I can count laps for a 200, but I am sure that when I am trying for a 500, I lose a lap here or there.

Good to hear that the swimming is going well. USA Triathlon's magazine had a good swimming article this month and I plan to get back in the pool for some technique work this week.

2012-01-11 7:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, NE
I use my 50 lap watch to keep track for me. Press the lap button every 100.
2012-01-11 4:46 PM

User image

Master

Didn't wake up to meet Nick at the gym, but I did make it to the pool today. Al I can say is YIKES!

I was inspired to get back at it, not only because I am 9 weeks from my race, or because I haven't swum since October, but because I saw an interesing article in the USA triathlon magazine and wanted to work on my technique.

Talk about needing some technique! My arms just weren't used to working this much. After the first 400 or so, I felt OK, but my breathing was a mess.

All things considered, I was happy to be back at it. If I can fix my underwater camera, I may take some new film to analyze, but mostly, I just need to spend some time swimming.

2012-01-11 5:30 PM
in reply to: #3984814

User image

Veteran
Central VA

I've used coins on the pool deck to keep track of laps. I've always have problems with remembering lap counts. Starting to look at a watch to mark each 50 meter time.

2012-01-11 7:04 PM
in reply to: #3984886

User image

South Florida

Weeeee! Happy Humpday gang! Went out for a quick run this evening due to work/dinner. Boy did i have fun! did a 12 minute warm up, then it turned into a tempo run. My last mile i avg'd 7:33. MY last 1/4 mile i was trying to go sub 5min/mile. And i did! GPS said 4:54. that made me happy. LOL I really can't wait to get back to full on training and some speed work.  May hit the pool tomorrow afternoon to see how much of my swim endurance ive lost since October. I'm betting it's not going to be pretty.

-Mitch. Those pictures are hilarious. Sorry. Hope everything heals quickly!

2012-01-11 7:30 PM

User image

Evansville, IN
Today flat out kicked my butt. I joined the triathlon training class at my local Y. We started at 430 this morning, before the place even opened, with a good paced walk for me for 30 min. Then on to the spin bikes for 30, strength training for 30 and finally 30 min in the pool. All this before 10 hours at work. I'll be in bed early tonight!
2012-01-12 8:41 AM
in reply to: #3985065

User image

Master

neumann_jc - 2012-01-11 7:30 PM Today flat out kicked my butt. I joined the triathlon training class at my local Y. We started at 430 this morning, before the place even opened, with a good paced walk for me for 30 min. Then on to the spin bikes for 30, strength training for 30 and finally 30 min in the pool. All this before 10 hours at work. I'll be in bed early tonight!

That sounds like an awesome way to start the day. I need coffee just thinking about it .

2012-01-12 8:21 PM
in reply to: #3985791

User image

Evansville, IN
No doubt! I could have used a coffee IV.
2012-01-13 7:29 AM

User image

Master

Hey Party People!

The weekend is almost here. I am excited for my first real brick of the season. Interested to see how my legs feel after a week of decent training.

Not sure about Sunday, as I have to fly out for work.

All in all, I am excited about being home, getting in some training, and cooking some good food!

Anyone have big plans for the weekend? It will be hard to top last weekend.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's If the world is ending, I'm going to tri!- FULL Rss Feed  

of 16