BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dirk's Junkie group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 68

2012-01-10 8:23 PM
in reply to: #3945020

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Subject: RE: Dirk's Junkie group - OPEN AND READY TO ROLL
Dirk, I would never make fun of you.

2012-01-10 8:46 PM

Bellevue, NE
Hey guys! I was looking forward to interacting with you all. But unfortunately I have to tap out. I am not finding the extra time I need to participate in the group, be mom, work full-time plus (dang work picked up), & wife. Best of luck to you all! I can tell there would have been tons of support & useful knowledge flowing.I was really looking forward to getting to know the Hoosiers in the group.Have a great 2012.Heather
2012-01-10 9:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Urbana, MD

Just uploaded pics of the bike for anyone interested - they're in my profile. Trek X01 cyclocross bike, AWESOME to ride (not that I have much experience). It'll get some road-ish tires before the first triathlon in June.

If anyone has any neat tips on staying warm and safe while cycling in the winter, I'm willing to listen!

HEATHER - I'm sorry you won't be joining us!

DIRK et al - I hear you about the training pace. I got a little over excited this morning! No more hammering around the neighborhood unless the training plan says I should!

John

2012-01-10 9:31 PM

User image

Carmel
I see some using watt meters--I have a polar HR, I use mostly for running-I like to keep HR in check on longer runs--prevents me from getting too punk -- will this work on the bike trainer? seems like my HR does not get nearly as high on bike as it does when I run??
2012-01-10 9:52 PM
in reply to: #3982759

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
DirkP - 2012-01-10 7:39 PM

jgerbodegrant - 2012-01-10 6:48 PM I'm heading out for pizza, but I finished my 20min power test with an avg of 308 watts.  This puts me at 3.7 watts/kg.  I'm making progress, but honestly I pushed harder than last time.  Now I understand how you can really push it mentally.  I could have convinced myself to quit at 10 mins.  Had anyone come into the room, I think I would have just stopped.  

I am sooooooo not looking forward to the next test!!!  What week and workout are you on?  I am in week 8 now so I am hoping I have one more week to breath before another test comes up.  Although tomorrow night's WO looks pretty brutal:

"MS:
40' start @ 77% and every 5' increase effort by 5% (when you get to 100% start again until you complete time)"

Knowing I just did the 6x4' and about died at the end, I don't wanna do it.  Will you make fun of me if I cry like a school girl?

Dirk: I think we are in about the same spot on this bike program.  I completed the 6x4 on Monday and had the same outcome.  Finished the ride hanging over the front of the handle bars gasping for air!  I even cheated and didn't get up to the 100% it called for, stayed around 90% until the last 4' then went for the gusto.  I try to not look ahead though!  I get on the bike and then copy the day into my phones notebook for review and go at it.  I find there is less anxiety when I don't know what is coming!!

2012-01-10 9:57 PM
in reply to: #3983049

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio

pgrun - 2012-01-10 10:31 PM I see some using watt meters--I have a polar HR, I use mostly for running-I like to keep HR in check on longer runs--prevents me from getting too punk -- will this work on the bike trainer? seems like my HR does not get nearly as high on bike as it does when I run??

I use the HR monitor for all of my trainer logs and for the most part I believe it is adequate.  The only time it becomes an issue is during short intervals, it takes time for the HR to get up to where you want and by that time the interval is done.  Most times my rest period looks like the strong section and vise versa!  Consistent rides longer than a couple of minutes though it is extremely accurate!

2012-01-10 9:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
If I had a dollar for every time someone on BT told me to SLOW DOWN the run, and then INCREASE the volume.. I would have a new shiney bike.  Fortunately I have followed the advice over the last year and to this point it has worked well!
2012-01-11 4:30 AM
in reply to: #3982936

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Danbones - 2012-01-10 9:23 PM Good evening. I was wondering if you still have any openings in your group. I've just joined BT and just found the mentoring programs? I'm 53 and am looking for help in training for my 1st olympic tri this fall.I completed a sprint last fall after a 8 week training schedule. i've never been a runner, swimmer or cyclist so I need some help in the details as well as advice from some vets. Thanks

Go ahead and jump in.  Post a bio as soon as you can.  We can definitely give you some help getting to your oly.

2012-01-11 4:33 AM
in reply to: #3982937

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

jgerbodegrant - 2012-01-10 9:23 PM Dirk, I would never make fun of you.

Oh and I so believe you!

2012-01-11 4:48 AM
in reply to: #3983025

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

John, the bike looks nice.  Have you been fitted for it?  Since you are just getting into the sport it is probably a good idea to get a things adjusted correctly now so you won't have readjustment problems later. 
And we all have been in the same boat with running too hard early in our training.  The thing about running hard is that most of the time it doesn't catch up to you on that run or the next.  It's the run that you never saw it coming.  Meaning things catch up to you.  It's best to take things slow at first, establish a base and then start to very slowly pick up the tempo of and an occasional run.

Jeff and Jonathon, you guys are resident bike experts, is there a different fit for a cyclocross?  It seems to me it would be similar but I don't really know enough.

Paul, good idea about the HR monitor on the runs.  I would suggest you use the it on all your runs and your bike as well.  You can learn a lot about how to perform each of your runs with this tool.  As Matt said the only real problem with the HR monitor is that the feed back isn't instantaneous and the lag can allow you to make some incorrect assumptions, but once you learn how to use it it can become very valuable.

The bike HR is nearly always going to be lower than the run.  I don't have time to get into detail because "the man" is calling......time to get to work.

2012-01-11 7:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Urbana, MD

Thanks Dirk! I got a little fitting done before I test rode it and the guy watched me ride for a while then said we probably didn't need to adjust it. I'll take that! He did show me how to adjust the seat and said I may want to move it around a little to fine tune it, but nothing crazy.

I believe cyclocross bikes have a slightly longer wheelbase than road bikes. They also have more clearance around the fork and brakes, and slightly more ground clearance, so you can get them muddy without jamming things up. Probably a different set of gears too, but they're very similar!

Okay - work time!

2012-01-11 8:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Urbana, MD

I did actually have a question now I think about it - I'm working on planning my seaso nand I have two races I'd like to do, but they're only about two weeks apart. They're both very close to me and beginner-friendly, so I'm not looking at very fast or competitive events. However, they are only a month before my A race which will be my first Oly distance. Here's what teh schedule looks like:

7/21-7/22 - Hagerstown Triathlon (Sprint)
7/28-7/29 - Off/Training
8/4 -8/5  - Fort Richie Triathlon, (Sprint)
8/11-8/12 - Off/Training
8/18-8/19 - Polocrosse (MD, No travel)
5/25-8/26 - Off/Training
9/1 -9/2  - Polocrosse (NC, 9 hours travel)
9/8 -9/9  - Nation's Triathlon (Oly) - "A" race.

Am I being too ambitious for a rookie? What should I look out for?

Thanks!

2012-01-11 9:28 AM

User image

NH

David:  I'm with Jeff and Jonathan in that I'll run all winter up here in NH.  We don't get the mind numbing MN temps, but there will be some days in the single digits with wind.  I find the key is to do whatever it takes to minimize the wind and precipitation impact, and actually dress so you're cold the first mile or so because you heat up more than expected.  I typically dress too warm and end up shedding clothes are carrying things around.  I sometimes do loop type courses so I run by the house and drop things off to simplify.  In terms of biking, I use a trainer tire that's a bear to mount, so once I'm on the trainer I'm on it for the winter.  For me, that's after the first snow storm and since we got a dump in late October, I've been on the trainer since then.  I may be odd in that I actually don't mind the trainer (or rollers) so I have no problem riding indoors.

Allison: I have to agree with Dirk on this, and Matt and others can hear it too.  I think we all really want to run WAY faster than we should while training.  When I first saw the suggested training paces/HR zones, it shocked me how slow I should be going.  For reference, my last half marathon pace was 8:30, and my training paces should be in the 9:20+ range.  At first it feels ridiculous and like it can't possibly be helping, but then you realize that a lot of the aches and pains aren't there, so I can run more without stressing my body too much.  I spent most of last year on the running sidelines with Achilles/calf issues, so I learned the hard way that staying injury free is more important than having a kick training pace.

Paul:  Totally normal for bike HR to be less than run, sometimes significantly.  My HR for run threshold is 164, bike is 150 (or was last year).  I just started using HR on my runs again, it helps to remind me to relax but I don't like being too overly tied to it on every run.

Dirk:  I totally agree on that 6x4' interval workout.  I did day #57 last night, which is the second 6x4.  It's a mental thing for me - my mind really wants me to quit so if there were any excuses I'd take them.  Legs are almost numb at the end of that workout for me.

2012-01-11 9:47 AM
in reply to: #3983556

User image

NH
guitarfrk75 - 2012-01-11 9:05 AM

I did actually have a question now I think about it - I'm working on planning my seaso nand I have two races I'd like to do, but they're only about two weeks apart. They're both very close to me and beginner-friendly, so I'm not looking at very fast or competitive events. However, they are only a month before my A race which will be my first Oly distance. Here's what teh schedule looks like:

7/21-7/22 - Hagerstown Triathlon (Sprint)
7/28-7/29 - Off/Training
8/4 -8/5  - Fort Richie Triathlon, (Sprint)
8/11-8/12 - Off/Training
8/18-8/19 - Polocrosse (MD, No travel)
5/25-8/26 - Off/Training
9/1 -9/2  - Polocrosse (NC, 9 hours travel)
9/8 -9/9  - Nation's Triathlon (Oly) - "A" race.

Am I being too ambitious for a rookie? What should I look out for?

Thanks!

I don't think there's any problem doing races, especially sprints, a month before your A race.  Just fit them into training and train through them - don't taper or anything like that.  One piece of advice I learned this year though - even though the races aren't "A" races, all that means is that your training isn't geared toward a peak that day.  Once the race is on, it's on.  Give it all you can that day with whatever fitness you bring.  There's a lot to learn by pushing during a race, and I missed a few opportunities by taking it too easy during non-A races.  Unless you just want to use the race as a well supported training day - then ignore the racing comment.

2012-01-11 9:51 AM

User image

Thanks for all of the replies on outdoor training.  I would like to hear some of your specific strategies for dressing for the weather.  I figure if you've already experimented and found solutions, there's no point in me doing it too.

Allison, I tend to get calf cramps; sometimes really painful ones.  What I have found is that if I eat a banana every day, I won't cramp at all.  If I've gone a few days without a banana, I'll get random muscle twitches in my arm or my eyelid.  If I don't load up on potassium, my calves will be cramping soon.  No idea if that will help you or not, but it can't hurt.

Regarding wetsuits, I'm doing my first tri in Michigan in May, so I figure I'll need a wetsuit.  They rent them for $45, but xterra sells them used for $79.  Is there any reason to not buy a used one?  What about sleeves vs. sleeveless?

David

2012-01-11 11:09 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Okay, so I don't know much about cyclocross, but I would say it is very similar to a road position, but slightly up.  So adding a bit more weight to the back wheel for slippery conditions to give that wheel a little more grip.  I know this isn't much help, but a good fitter would be able to answer this question over the phone, no problem.

2012-01-11 11:24 AM
in reply to: #3983809

User image

NH
cycletherapy - 2012-01-11 10:51 AM

Thanks for all of the replies on outdoor training.  I would like to hear some of your specific strategies for dressing for the weather.  I figure if you've already experimented and found solutions, there's no point in me doing it too.

Regarding wetsuits, I'm doing my first tri in Michigan in May, so I figure I'll need a wetsuit.  They rent them for $45, but xterra sells them used for $79.  Is there any reason to not buy a used one?  What about sleeves vs. sleeveless?

David

Dressing for warmth is very personal, but here's mine for running.  One caveat for me - I have zero fashion sense while training, and I'm generally a pretty warm person (not a personal statement, but I mean physically).

Over 50 - nothing special, shorts and shirt. 

40-50, I'll add a long sleeve light sweat shirt over my shirt and sometimes a headband that typically comes off after a mile or two.  If it's windy from here on down, I'll add a wind breaker, and if it raining/sleeting I'll add a full waterproof coat and a hat. 

35-40, I'll add gloves, either light biking gloves or I have wool mitten things where the whole finger part flips up and off.  Love those. 

25-35, I'll add the wool gloves and also light tights and another short sleeve shirt. 

Under 25, I'll add heavier winter pants and real winter hat. 

At some point below 20 or 25 I'll add another long sleeve sweatshirt type thing.

Under 15 or 20, if it's really windy, I'll wear my ski mask face thing.  It gives me full access to breathing but protects my cheeks.  I have had frostbite there so the cheeks are overly sensitive to wind chill.

2012-01-11 11:25 AM

User image

NH

David

My belief is if wetsuits are allowed - wear one.  If you wear one, wear a long sleeve.  A well fit tri wetsuit shouldn't give you much, if any, restriction in the shoulders.

2012-01-11 11:37 AM
in reply to: #3983269

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
DirkP - 2012-01-11 4:48 AM

Jeff and Jonathon, you guys are resident bike experts, is there a different fit for a cyclocross?  It seems to me it would be similar but I don't really know enough.

Not really.  Some riders may prefer a slightly different fit on their CX bikes for personal reasons having to do with the terrain or their riding style.  But CX bikes are basically road bikes modified for durability, wider tires, different brakes.

2012-01-11 11:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Urbana, MD

Here's my winter stylings, although it hasn't got much below 30 here:

Feet - Shoes and socks. I haven't had a problem with cold feet, although I do make sure I don't stand around long outside before getting started.

Legs: Long johns or running shorts with track pants over the top. Compression shorts would do the job as well, anything to lend a little support!  

Top: long-sleeved, compression, wicking undershirt. Something to get sweat away from your skin. Long-sleeved running shirt over that, although I only have one, so I use other long sleeved tops as well. Finally a windbreaker or rain jacket - I've found something with a zipper helps regulate temperature because you can adjust it to let in more or less air as you heat up and cool down.

Head and hands: Gloves and Hat - AWAYS! I make sure I have something with pockets so I can put gloves and hat away if I need to.

From what my Dad has said and what I've learned outside with the horses the key is LAYERS and something on the top the wind won't get through. The only thing I added with running is something to wick away the sweat so it doesn't sit on your skin and cool down.

If you need extra gear, check out Target. I got a whole bunch of reasonable quality stuff for less than $20 an item. It's not the best, but it's good for stocking up quickly.

I think that's it!

2012-01-11 11:44 AM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
cycletherapy - 2012-01-11 9:51 AM

Allison, I tend to get calf cramps; sometimes really painful ones.  What I have found is that if I eat a banana every day, I won't cramp at all.  If I've gone a few days without a banana, I'll get random muscle twitches in my arm or my eyelid.  If I don't load up on potassium, my calves will be cramping soon.  No idea if that will help you or not, but it can't hurt.

David

At that price, there's no reason not to buy a used xterra.  Get one with sleeves.  They won't sell used suits that are damaged beyond little knicks.  By buying at that pricepoint you will get some experience with a wetsuit and the basic fit you want (or worst case, DON'T want).  It's probably a great idea for a first purchase so your next purchase will be more informed...that is if you fall in love with triathlon and continue forever!

2012-01-11 12:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Huntertown, IN

Dirk, Warren, and David- Thank you for your imput.  Even though I am afraid to do it, I will trust your expertise and try to slow down for awhile.  Thanks for the wake-up call. 

I figure I will chime in on the coldgear while I am on.  I don't run outside much when it's below 40 degrees, but when I get out there I usually wear a pair of running tights and a coldgear compression top.  I have all sorts of brands, but I recently discovered Old Navy's fitness line, which is much less expensive and I actually prefer some of their stuff to the more expensive brands I own.  I like to wear gloves (and think the ones with the key pocket built-in are pretty cool) and a headband.  I'm not sure that the guys will benefit much from take, but perhaps some of the ladies will

2012-01-11 12:15 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

David

I can answer both these questions, yee haw! 

Regarding the outdoor clothing, it is of course going to vary based on the actual temperature.  The one major difference between cycling and running clothing has to do with the wind.  You want to dress about the same, but on the bike you want something that is going to block the wind (you are going faster so the wind will obviously make you colder).  This applies to each piece of clothing.

These are my rules/must haves for cold weather training.  We are going to call this anything under 35 degrees:

1.  All clothing should wick away moisture.  ie no cotton etc.
2.  Hat/hood.  I use a hat for running and a hood for cycling.
3.  Base layer.  You can find good cold weather base layers at a ton of stores now.  This base layer needs to fit snug/tight.
4.  Mid Layer.  Something that a little thicker than your base layer, like a fleece material.
5.  Jacket.  Light weight for running and windproof for cycling.  That's all it needs to be.  Don't go crazy unless you want to.
6.  Pants.  One good pair of windproof cycling pants can work for both running and cycling.  I prefer tights.  I have two pairs (one for biking one for running) because I use them every day.
7.  Socks.  I use the same socks running in the summer and winter.  My feet don't get cold.  I use heavy wool socks cycling.  I also use shoe covers for cycling.  Keeps the wind out.
8.  A good pair of glasses to keep the wind out of your eyes cycling is also a good idea.
9.  Gloves.  There are a thousand options based on how cold your hands get.  The best bet is to try them on.
10.  Reflectivity.  It gets dark out this time of year.  Make sure you are seen!

In reference to the wetsuits, if you are going to buy just one, go with a full sleeved suit.  They are more versatile, give a bit more buoyancy, increase the amount of water you can pull and are warmer for races in cooler water.  Buying used really isn't that big of a deal.  I would ask if they are inspected for any tears or flaws first.  Other than that...not really a bad option for your first suit.  Do they tell you which one they are selling?  I'm assuming it's the Vortex 3.

2012-01-11 12:29 PM
in reply to: #3984142

User image

NH
abergdol - 2012-01-11 1:09 PM

Dirk, Warren, and David- Thank you for your imput.  Even though I am afraid to do it, I will trust your expertise and try to slow down for awhile.  Thanks for the wake-up call. 

But remember, you're not running easy for the sake of running easy, you're running easy for the sake of being able to run more.  The real goal is to get as much running in as possible.

2012-01-11 1:47 PM
in reply to: #3984142

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
abergdol - 2012-01-11 1:09 PM

Yeah...I'm on the same band wagon.  Slow and steady.  You'll be back at it.  Being patient is the hardest part.  I'm the worst, but you'll get there.  Just have to trust us.  :-)

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dirk's Junkie group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 68