BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mndymond and Disturbed275's Awesome SBR Mentor group---Full! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2012-01-13 4:09 PM
in reply to: #3945488

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Mndymond and Disturbed275's Awesome SBR Mentor group---Full!

Welcome back Neal!  Glad to have you around!

Regarding the USAT membership- Usually I just do the calculation and see which one's cheaper.  I probably won't do it this year since I'm not planning on doing too many tris.

For the swimming question- I do what others have mentioned, and plan other gym-related activities (weights, yoga) if my plan called for a short swim.  That way, it was worth the trip there.

Updates on my end... I went cross country skiing this morning!  So excited!  This was our first real snowfall, so the first time I actually got to ski-train this year!!  I think I'm kind of screwed, though, since my 23k ski race is next month, so I just have about 6 weeks to train.  Hopefully the ground will be covered in snow the entire time from now until my race Wink

Planning on skiing more tomorrow, and possibly Sunday as long as the snow is still there.  Also planning on doing a ton of yoga since my hips are tight today, presumably from the skiing this morning!

2012-01-13 4:29 PM

User image

Veteran
My swimming lesson was cancelled due to a snowstorm. Booooo. But I had a good swim at noon today. I decided to relax a bit and I spent the first 15 minutes doing some floating drills to work on my head position, then added some kicking while still keeping the head down, then added in a few strokes to breathe. Then I went up and down the pool underwater (with breath breaks) to help me get comfortable under water (which still is a teeny bit freaky for me). Then I decided to just see how far I could swim in about 15 without stopping. I had a great time and my swim portion actually went much better than it has lately. I think the time spent in drills and getting comfortable was time well spent.
2012-01-13 6:35 PM

User image

Champion
On call tonight. I ended up doing my run this afternoon. Decided to take a little break and go run with my pager. Woooo. I feel accomplished. Haha
2012-01-13 7:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sounds like some good workouts today! I actually when swimming for the first time in a long time. I feel good tired right now! I am going to have to get my swimming lungs and strength back. I'm planning on going one more time this weekend plus getting on my road bike. I forgot the good swim sore. Now to just not get ravenous and eat everything not nailed down. Does swimming make anyone else really hungry?
2012-01-13 7:52 PM
in reply to: #3989545

User image

I'm incredibly hungry when I finish morning swim practices.... Actually, I feel hungry often since I've been increasing my training.

Edited by onbelay 2012-01-13 7:53 PM
2012-01-13 11:57 PM
in reply to: #3988188

User image

Champion
Shmashin - 2012-01-13 7:56 AM

I struggled with the option of joining USAT. I decided not to do it because I have 3 USAT races scheduled and 2 "other" races. It is nice to support the organization but I'd rather put out the money $10-14 at a time then $45 (plus first race reg fee) in one shot. If I end up adding another race, it will have been a small price to pay.

As for swimming short times: I would make it worth the trip. Do what you feel comfortable doing. Add some good stretching exercises and drills. Its silly but I used to just relax in the pool and remember why I loved swimming in the first place. I've been swimming competitively for a long time and its nice to goof around and enjoy the peace underwater. I would see how long I could hold my breath and do barrel rolls. All the things that kids do in the pool. I would've played Marco Polo but it doesn't work by yourself. Frown 

Hey Neal! Good to have you here! 

Couple questions: How quickly do the Ironman events sell out general entries? Should I volunteer at a an IM event just to see how things go? What are some important points to hit on the fitness journey to Ironman completion?

Thanks!

Re: IM sign up. Depends on the specific event you are looking at. When I signed up for IMLP in 2010 I was on the computer pressing refresh at like 8:59pst to get my entry. It sold out in less than 45min online. Now with the addition of mont tremblant in Quebec and the new York ironman it is easier to get an entry into those big summer ironmans because there are more. Same deal with the November ones: Arizona. Florida. Cozumel. All quick sell outs. IM St George, Texas, CDA, and some of the south American and Asian sell out less quickly or not at all due to time of year, etc. Never hurts to try and get out to the race site the year before to volunteer/ recon though. Re: milestones. I would say generally speaking your big milestones on the fitness journey are: 3500-4000m swim workout, 100 mile ride, 18-20mile run. It's also good to have a few 5-5:30hr rides with a 30-60min run afterwards (depending how fast you ride). As far as average monthly volume: maybe 10-15km total swimming, 1000-1500km riding, 160-200km+ running in your peak months before the IM. It's also nice to have the 70.3 done and possibly a marathon (though I know a few ppl who did the IM as their first marathon).

2012-01-13 11:58 PM
in reply to: #3989587

User image

Champion
onbelay - 2012-01-13 6:52 PMI'm incredibly hungry when I finish morning swim practices.... Actually, I feel hungry often since I've been increasing my training.
It just gets worse from here. Haha
2012-01-14 7:08 AM

User image

13k in this morning. Just seconds under 1h20m but I felt good throughout. Honestly, I did 1 more km than planned and felt like I could do more, but I'm trying not to increase the mileage to quickly for fear of getting injured. My running goal for the month is 145km (around 90 miles) and I'm almost 1/2 way there with 71km. Unfortunately, I missed a swim workout yesterday due to needing to shovel out 2 cars. (but at least the shoveling gave a good workout ) Now with a planned 45min ride for tomorrow am and I'll be happy with the week.

I'm looking forward to reading about how others are doing with their training. I hope everyone is well.
2012-01-14 7:37 AM

User image

Thx Melindy!

I am hoping to do IM Texas in 2013. Its just difficult to sign up a year in advance but I think I am just going to have to jump off that cliff. Unfortunately, IM Texas 2012 is the day after our son is to be born, so I won't be able to make it out for recon. I really feel like 2013 is my best time to do it. My body is not getting any younger and life is not going to be any easier. I have a few months to decide so we will see.

Training is going better than it ever has for me. I have been doing better with planned vs. actual. I took a rest day yesterday (family day/recovery) and really enjoyed it. School starts back for me on Monday. We'll see what adjustments need to be made.

I was telling Lindsey that it is amazing that you were able to squeeze in training with med school. Many people don't realize the amount of information and the time in which you have to 'know' it. High Five to you!

Congrats to everybody making progress!! It is inspiring to see everyone getting out and doing it! Statistics say we should have failed our New Year's Resolutions by now, so we are beating the stats!!

Keep on keepin' on!

2012-01-14 8:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

OMG I decided to the 5430 sprint in Boulder but I'm about give up on the entry form.  Seriously it requires me to fill in an athletic background, major personal personal accomplishments, local TV channel.  It's a sprint Triathlon!  I think I'm just going to fill out random crap.  Is this normal?  I'm a middle aged mom, who cares if I swam D1 or was a class 5 kayaker?  Why did I enter the triathlon?  Can I write I got drunk on NYE and thought it would be a good idea?

What do people put on those forms?

BTW this question makes me want to write that I had to have a C-Section after 24 hours of labor  Have you ever dropped out during a race for medical reasons or received medical care during or after an event? *

Edited by Moonrocket 2012-01-14 8:32 AM
2012-01-14 9:07 AM
in reply to: #3989987

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Moonrocket - 2012-01-14 9:30 AM

OMG I decided to the 5430 sprint in Boulder but I'm about give up on the entry form.  Seriously it requires me to fill in an athletic background, major personal personal accomplishments, local TV channel.  It's a sprint Triathlon!  I think I'm just going to fill out random crap.  Is this normal?  I'm a middle aged mom, who cares if I swam D1 or was a class 5 kayaker?  Why did I enter the triathlon?  Can I write I got drunk on NYE and thought it would be a good idea?

BTW this question makes me want to write that I had to have a C-Section after 24 hours of labor  Have you ever dropped out during a race for medical reasons or received medical care during or after an event? *

I have never seen a form like that for a sprint! I sure would put down random things as well! Especially the C section!

2012-01-14 11:30 AM

User image

That's ridiculous. I've never seen anything like that. The race organization must have horrible insurance that requires all that junk.
2012-01-14 5:14 PM
in reply to: #3990211

User image

Regular
Drayton
the scale at the gym says i'm 19.1% bf...that was a bit shocking!
2012-01-14 7:03 PM
in reply to: #3989928

User image

Champion
Shmashin - 2012-01-14 6:37 AM

Thx Melindy!

I am hoping to do IM Texas in 2013. Its just difficult to sign up a year in advance but I think I am just going to have to jump off that cliff. Unfortunately, IM Texas 2012 is the day after our son is to be born, so I won't be able to make it out for recon. I really feel like 2013 is my best time to do it. My body is not getting any younger and life is not going to be any easier. I have a few months to decide so we will see.

Training is going better than it ever has for me. I have been doing better with planned vs. actual. I took a rest day yesterday (family day/recovery) and really enjoyed it. School starts back for me on Monday. We'll see what adjustments need to be made.

I was telling Lindsey that it is amazing that you were able to squeeze in training with med school. Many people don't realize the amount of information and the time in which you have to 'know' it. High Five to you!

Congrats to everybody making progress!! It is inspiring to see everyone getting out and doing it! Statistics say we should have failed our New Year's Resolutions by now, so we are beating the stats!!

Keep on keepin' on!

You are very good at pep talks Sean! Haha. There is definitely a lot of information....everytime I start a new rotation I just feel like I am back to square 0 and know nothing. Medicine constantly intimidates me--someone is always judging you, watching you, telling you what to do now, next time. Don't do that, do this. Pimping you on random facts that no one cares about. I've been lucky this rotation, my preceptor is catering my experience to my likes rather than just telling me what I should do. I should write all your comments in my black book and take it out and read them when I get yelled at by the angry surgeons of Edmonton. (No offense to surgeons...just had a bad experience with one before Xmas where I got told "Well I can tell you arn't going to be a surgeon!"....I might be carrying that along with me...haha)

The only recon I had before IMLP last year was the Spinvervals Lake Placid ride. Haha. Well...my Mom took me for 1 loop of the course too the day before the race. I can't say it really gave a feel of the course. Haha. Feeling the grade of the hills is totally different than riding in a car over them pretending you could imagine it. But I got by...You just have to do some training of similar terrain for sure. Flat and windy? Do lots of biking on flats when it is windy. 

Glad your training is going well. It's great to have you in the group!

2012-01-14 7:08 PM
in reply to: #3990029

User image

Champion
ceilidh - 2012-01-14 8:07 AM
Moonrocket - 2012-01-14 9:30 AM

I have never seen a form like that for a sprint! I sure would put down random things as well! Especially the C section!

Lol. Like the C-section comment.

Never seen a form like that either. I've had to fill out accomplishments, etc before...but never all the medical stuff...

2012-01-14 7:13 PM
in reply to: #3989785

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
mndymond - 2012-01-13 11:57 PM
Shmashin - 2012-01-13 7:56 AM

I struggled with the option of joining USAT. I decided not to do it because I have 3 USAT races scheduled and 2 "other" races. It is nice to support the organization but I'd rather put out the money $10-14 at a time then $45 (plus first race reg fee) in one shot. If I end up adding another race, it will have been a small price to pay.

As for swimming short times: I would make it worth the trip. Do what you feel comfortable doing. Add some good stretching exercises and drills. Its silly but I used to just relax in the pool and remember why I loved swimming in the first place. I've been swimming competitively for a long time and its nice to goof around and enjoy the peace underwater. I would see how long I could hold my breath and do barrel rolls. All the things that kids do in the pool. I would've played Marco Polo but it doesn't work by yourself. Frown 

Hey Neal! Good to have you here! 

Couple questions: How quickly do the Ironman events sell out general entries? Should I volunteer at a an IM event just to see how things go? What are some important points to hit on the fitness journey to Ironman completion?

Thanks!

Re: IM sign up. Depends on the specific event you are looking at. When I signed up for IMLP in 2010 I was on the computer pressing refresh at like 8:59pst to get my entry. It sold out in less than 45min online. Now with the addition of mont tremblant in Quebec and the new York ironman it is easier to get an entry into those big summer ironmans because there are more. Same deal with the November ones: Arizona. Florida. Cozumel. All quick sell outs. IM St George, Texas, CDA, and some of the south American and Asian sell out less quickly or not at all due to time of year, etc. Never hurts to try and get out to the race site the year before to volunteer/ recon though. Re: milestones. I would say generally speaking your big milestones on the fitness journey are: 3500-4000m swim workout, 100 mile ride, 18-20mile run. It's also good to have a few 5-5:30hr rides with a 30-60min run afterwards (depending how fast you ride). As far as average monthly volume: maybe 10-15km total swimming, 1000-1500km riding, 160-200km+ running in your peak months before the IM. It's also nice to have the 70.3 done and possibly a marathon (though I know a few ppl who did the IM as their first marathon).

I'll just add my 2 cents to Melissa's good information.  It's unfortunate you can't volunteer this year.  I volunteered at Wisconsin the year before I participated and it was an incredible experience.  There's just so much energy from the spectators and athletes alike that it's just amazing to be a part of.  If you're going to sign up online better be safe and do it as soon as registration opens up.

As far as milestones go these can vary for each individual.  Personally I believe getting in a couple of 70.3s is a great idea.  I almost signed up for an IM after my first season, but waited another year and got a few more long races under my belt. I felt I was better prepared because of it.

For training goals in the year leading up to the IM it is all about the bike. You can be a great runner and have trained well for the marathon, but all will be for naught if you don't have the bike fitness.  Make sure you hit those long rides.  I was only comfortable after getting in 4-5 in preparation.  Now some people can get away with much less and survive okay, but if you can they do help.

I also did a "big day" about 4-5 weeks before the race.  This included 4000yds of swimming, followed by a century, and followed by 45 minutes of running.  This is a good test before the race. 

2012-01-14 7:15 PM
in reply to: #3987697

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Moonrocket - 2012-01-12 10:56 PM

Welcome Neal!

I think the day licenses went up to 14, so would have to do 4 to break even?  Since I started planning 1 in Dec and am up to 3 I'm a little worried I will exceed.

I have a training plan question.  I was looking at one of the free ones and am curious, it is really saying to swim for 12 or 14 minutes?  It just seems like it would be an awful lot of effort to drive to a pool, get changed and swim for 14 minutes then shower, change, drive home.  Am I reading it wrong?  Here's a link http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=... race are you planning to use as your Boston qualifier?  My husband did Grandma's in MN for his first marathon last summer and qualified. 

I looking at Chicago for the qualifier.  It's supposed to be flat and fast and as longs as it's not ungodly hot like it was a couple of years ago I like my chances

2012-01-14 7:18 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Moonrocket - 2012-01-14 8:30 AM

I think all that random personal information is so they can pick out a few random human interest stories for either a tv show or their website.  I go with frequent use of "NA" when face with those questions.  As far as extensive medical questions go I've never really seen that

2012-01-14 7:22 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
So I managed to lose track of time on the trainer today and actually went about 10 minutes over the scheduled 2 hr ride.  That may be a first for me.  Usually I'm checking my watch every minute during the latter half of a ride like that in hopes that it's time to be done.
2012-01-14 7:57 PM
in reply to: #3990635

User image

Champion
disturbed275 - 2012-01-14 6:18 PM
Moonrocket - 2012-01-14 8:30 AM

I think all that random personal information is so they can pick out a few random human interest stories for either a tv show or their website.  I go with frequent use of "NA" when face with those questions.  As far as extensive medical questions go I've never really seen that

Ya, Ironman registration makes you go through all that stuff for their human interest stories. I think I had to do it for a couple of Olympic distance too. Sometimes I put a random sentence or as Neal does "N/A"

2012-01-14 8:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oh, I think Ironman bought the entire Boulder Tri series including this sprint- so maybe they just have one entry form.  I wish I had thought of NA rather than entering a bunch of sarcastic random stuff.

2012-01-15 11:12 AM

User image

Champion
Well looks like winter has finally arrived....booo. We got about 2inches of snow last night and the temp has dropped to -20C. Looks like I'm going to have to bundle up for my run if I go outside today....Need to go find all my winter running clothes!
2012-01-15 12:45 PM
in reply to: #3991268

User image

Expert

mndymond - 2012-01-15 11:12 AM Well looks like winter has finally arrived....booo. We got about 2inches of snow last night and the temp has dropped to -20C. Looks like I'm going to have to bundle up for my run if I go outside today....Need to go find all my winter running clothes!

I'm totally enjoying this first weekend of winter!  I've gone cross country skiing twice in the last two days!  Now I have to go to yoga next week because my legs are sore Tongue out

2012-01-15 12:48 PM
in reply to: #3990632

User image

Expert
disturbed275 - 2012-01-14 7:15 PM
Moonrocket - 2012-01-12 10:56 PM

Welcome Neal!

I think the day licenses went up to 14, so would have to do 4 to break even?  Since I started planning 1 in Dec and am up to 3 I'm a little worried I will exceed.

I have a training plan question.  I was looking at one of the free ones and am curious, it is really saying to swim for 12 or 14 minutes?  It just seems like it would be an awful lot of effort to drive to a pool, get changed and swim for 14 minutes then shower, change, drive home.  Am I reading it wrong?  Here's a link http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=... race are you planning to use as your Boston qualifier?  My husband did Grandma's in MN for his first marathon last summer and qualified. 

I looking at Chicago for the qualifier.  It's supposed to be flat and fast and as longs as it's not ungodly hot like it was a couple of years ago I like my chances

Nice!  If you do Chicago, I will cheer you on!  Unless I decide to race it myself (not trying to BQ or anything- just to get back into running).

2012-01-15 12:51 PM
in reply to: #3991368

User image

Champion
yogachic - 2012-01-15 11:45 AM

mndymond - 2012-01-15 11:12 AM Well looks like winter has finally arrived....booo. We got about 2inches of snow last night and the temp has dropped to -20C. Looks like I'm going to have to bundle up for my run if I go outside today....Need to go find all my winter running clothes!

I'm totally enjoying this first weekend of winter!  I've gone cross country skiing twice in the last two days!  Now I have to go to yoga next week because my legs are sore Tongue out

Ya...I'm not a big winter fan...but I should probably dust off the cross country skis and go find new boots and bindings so I can use them since those are MIA. Would have done it sooner, but there just hasn't been any snow yet! Haha. I've also been debating running snowshoes. Its getting pretty popular up here and there are a lot of trail running snowshoe races around. I should embrace Canada.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mndymond and Disturbed275's Awesome SBR Mentor group---Full! Rss Feed  

of 18