BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FoggyGoggle's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2012-01-10 8:03 AM
in reply to: #3981445

User image

Subject: RE: FoggyGog's Mentor Group - Closed

Hi Jenny,

I think I know what program you are looking at. One thing that I'd point out, urge for you to do, is relax in the water. Especially when you are swimming on your own. The breakthrough that I had was on a warm up one day when I just cleared my head, relaxed and swam. What was supposed to be a 300 meter warm-up turned into a 1,200 meter non-stop swim. My thoughts were focused on how my hands were entering the water, how they moved through the water on the pull, and how my recovery was being performed. Once that felt "natural" I focused on my kick. Instead of flutter-kicking the entire time, I tried out a 2-beat and 4-beat kick. The last thing that I thought about was breathing since this was the one thing that was always first on my mind and seemed to limit me.

Hope that helps!

Ya, I do think about breathing a lot. When we are doing drills that require me to think about too much or think and stroke count I forget to breath, then get gaspy because I have been holding my breath. My tri-swim group does all the work on form and stroke I think I need. IDK, I think I just need to spend more time in the water, shooting for getting at least a few laps in 4 times a week....keep the feel for the water and comfort. I did do the first week of that program and the first set was breath-taking, but I managed it. 4x100-12 breath rest, 4x50-8breaths rest, 4x25-4 breaths rest. I did take longer rests on the 100s, but 50s and 25s were cake.

Jenny

2012-01-10 8:03 AM
in reply to: #3981445

User image

Hi Jenny,

I think I know what program you are looking at. One thing that I'd point out, urge for you to do, is relax in the water. Especially when you are swimming on your own. The breakthrough that I had was on a warm up one day when I just cleared my head, relaxed and swam. What was supposed to be a 300 meter warm-up turned into a 1,200 meter non-stop swim. My thoughts were focused on how my hands were entering the water, how they moved through the water on the pull, and how my recovery was being performed. Once that felt "natural" I focused on my kick. Instead of flutter-kicking the entire time, I tried out a 2-beat and 4-beat kick. The last thing that I thought about was breathing since this was the one thing that was always first on my mind and seemed to limit me.

Hope that helps!

Ya, I do think about breathing a lot. When we are doing drills that require me to think about too much or think and stroke count I forget to breath, then get gaspy because I have been holding my breath. My tri-swim group does all the work on form and stroke I think I need. IDK, I think I just need to spend more time in the water, shooting for getting at least a few laps in 4 times a week....keep the feel for the water and comfort. I did do the first week of that program and the first set was breath-taking, but I managed it. 4x100-12 breath rest, 4x50-8breaths rest, 4x25-4 breaths rest. I did take longer rests on the 100s, but 50s and 25s were cake.

Jenny

2012-01-10 8:47 AM
in reply to: #3945983

User image

EP

I got in 600 yards last night.  And it felt pretty good actually.  This is what I did.

http://www.100swimmingworkouts.com/swim-workouts/swim_workout_01.php

I was looking through the workouts on this page and they seem pretty good.  Do we have a Swimmer in this group???  Some input wouldn't hurt.

Also Foggy how do you recommend building a workout schedule?  Just like everyone else I'm a busy bee so I need to have my action planned out ahead of time to fit it all in.  Once it gets nicer out (i can't believe I just said that with almost 50 degree weather in Jan here) I will be able to really go outside and workout.  I work 4x10hr shifts monday-thursday so its the gym or trainer after work...

2012-01-10 12:03 PM
in reply to: #3981485

New user

NurseJenny - 2012-01-10 9:03 AM

Jenny

I started this same program 2 weeks ago. I made it through week one okay. Then came week two. Well, it didn't go well. If I make it through 200 m straight, I am exhausted. I know I am not breathing right but I just can't seem to get it. I am going to try again tonight. I have been swimming 3 days a week.

2012-01-10 4:34 PM

User image

Veteran
N.Ireland

I'm frustrated as I've been perservering wit custom made orths over the last month and I've dveloped quite an achy pain where my arch should be (both feet), can hardlhy walk this evening let alone think about going for a jog. (going back to see podi.)

Hit the crosstrainer this evening on the way home from work and had a strange ordeal, last session I was on intensity 20 for 60  min no problems, tonight the most I could do was intensity 16 for 40 min and I sweated buckets, feel I was running low on energy but enjoyed a good feed of pasta when I came home.

Interested in a swim program as I'm started to wonder should I aim for a sprint this year due to the challenge of an oly swim distance, I think this is where my main improvement will need to be over the next few months.

Ordering the bike tomorrow so looking forward to a few miles, still haven't decided exactly which one but all options will be good enough for me

2012-01-10 5:14 PM
in reply to: #3981974

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2012-01-10 5:17 PM
in reply to: #3981571

2012-01-10 5:29 PM
in reply to: #3982632

Veteran
N.Ireland

How are you taking that gulp of air? Most of the breathlessness feeling comes from taking a big breath and having the CO2 levels in your body build up. For me, I found that taking a slightly larger than normal breath and immediately, but slowly releasing it once my face hit the water worked best for me. This helped me relax and build up the distance in my swims. 

How do you release it, a steady stream or intervals with the strokes? is there a prefered method.

2012-01-10 5:40 PM
in reply to: #3982657

2012-01-10 8:47 PM
in reply to: #3982632

New user

FoggyGoggles - 2012-01-10 6:14 PM

How are you taking that gulp of air? Most of the breathlessness feeling comes from taking a big breath and having the CO2 levels in your body build up. For me, I found that taking a slightly larger than normal breath and immediately, but slowly releasing it once my face hit the water worked best for me. This helped me relax and build up the distance in my swims. 

I think I am probably gasping and inhaling as hard as possible because I feel like I can't breathe. Next time I will try to not gasp for air!

I went swimming tonight. It was ok I guess. I got in the full 900 meters but it took me about 37 minutes. I am not sure I followed the program exactly though. I did try to do the first 200 m without stopping but then after that I didn't follow the 4x100, 4x50, and 4x25 routine. I lose track of what lap I am on!

I think if I could breathe better to my left side, rather than just always my right side, it would be a little better. I think on Thursday I will take my flippers and wear them for awhile and just practice breathing. Thoughts?

2012-01-10 8:54 PM

EP
Ohh yes bilateral breathing, gotta get working on that too!!!

2012-01-10 9:10 PM

Veteran
Waterford, MI.
I got up early this morning to make up missing my run workout yesterday. 30 minutes on the trails behind my house. I forgot how much I like running early in the morning. Still dark outside, nice and quiet. All I could hear is silence. Absolutely awesome. I've got to start doing that more often. This evening was a different story. Down in the dungeon on the trainer for an hour. Nothing peacful about that.
2012-01-10 10:42 PM

Logan Ut
Just got done doing 300 yards in the pool and 8 miles on the bike.  Started the 16 week plan today and i feel great.  legs hurt a little while on the bike but that was due to the spinning class i did yesterday (18 miles).  after watching some youtube video's i finaly got my breating down so im not swollowing water.  still need to work on the legs but that will come over time. 
2012-01-10 10:54 PM
in reply to: #3982976

selenag - 2012-01-10 6:47 PM
FoggyGoggles - 2012-01-10 6:14 PM

I think I am probably gasping and inhaling as hard as possible because I feel like I can't breathe. Next time I will try to not gasp for air!

I went swimming tonight. It was ok I guess. I got in the full 900 meters but it took me about 37 minutes. I am not sure I followed the program exactly though. I did try to do the first 200 m without stopping but then after that I didn't follow the 4x100, 4x50, and 4x25 routine. I lose track of what lap I am on!

I think if I could breathe better to my left side, rather than just always my right side, it would be a little better. I think on Thursday I will take my flippers and wear them for awhile and just practice breathing. Thoughts?

I have noticed that I bring my head up more when I breath on the right causing my legs to drop and my rhythm gets all skrewed up! you can drill by laing on your side, arm extended hand on top of the water and put your face in the water enough to cover one eye and not the other, this should leave you a pocket in the water to breath and is the ideal head position for breathing. do it on one side down then switch going back. the next 2x25 do right side x 10 kicks then take one stroke to switch sides, then do the same 2x25 only x8 kicks this time, then 2x25 x6kicks then 1x50 normal swim and see if you feel a difference.

you can also just breath on your "weaker" side for a few weeks...that will work out the kinks...as painful as it sounds!

Jenny

2012-01-10 10:58 PM

Well I had to miss my swim to day due to working 1900-0700 last night and tonight, but I did manage to go to PT and it was painful! Electical stim, massage and then the workout. However, there is some good news! I get to use the eliptical...said to start with 5min...is 5min really anything? I am excited to get to the gym tomorrow! I'm going to do a bike/run brick, LOL. 1 hour spin class followed by an extensive 5min run on the eliptical! HaHa, small victories, right?
2012-01-11 5:38 AM
in reply to: #3982976

2012-01-11 5:41 AM
in reply to: #3983012

2012-01-11 5:43 AM
in reply to: #3983170

2012-01-11 5:44 AM
in reply to: #3983153

2012-01-11 5:46 AM

2012-01-11 7:03 AM
in reply to: #3983170

Veteran
N.Ireland

NurseJenny - 2012-01-11 4:58 AM Well I had to miss my swim to day due to working 1900-0700 last night and tonight, but I did manage to go to PT and it was painful! Electical stim, massage and then the workout. However, there is some good news! I get to use the eliptical...said to start with 5min...is 5min really anything? I am excited to get to the gym tomorrow! I'm going to do a bike/run brick, LOL. 1 hour spin class followed by an extensive 5min run on the eliptical! HaHa, small victories, right?

Yeah jenny I use the trainer and it has no impact on my itb, I woudln't set a time I would just get off when you feel you've had enough.

2012-01-11 7:05 AM
in reply to: #3983287

Veteran
N.Ireland
FoggyGoggles - 2012-01-11 11:41 AM

jdutton13 - 2012-01-10 9:10 PM I got up early this morning to make up missing my run workout yesterday. 30 minutes on the trails behind my house. I forgot how much I like running early in the morning. Still dark outside, nice and quiet. All I could hear is silence. Absolutely awesome. I've got to start doing that more often. This evening was a different story. Down in the dungeon on the trainer for an hour. Nothing peacful about that.

Yesss! I too love those early runs that all you hear is your feet hitting the trail!

I don't even like running in the afternoon, nothing beats spring time morning run

2012-01-11 7:28 AM

Expert
Had a temperate enough day to log some miles on the bike.  As I start again I curse myself for getting off the bike two years ago.  Running legs do not equal biking legs thats for sure.  Got in a solid 8 miles at a good cadence except for a few of those hills toward the end of the bike leg.  It seems that I ran out of gears....hahahaha.  Anyway it felt better than my last one and I'm sure it will improve over time.  Just gotta get a base built back up.
2012-01-11 9:45 AM

Logan Ut
Having a off day today.  Will be out swimming tomarrow while the kids are in school. ya for daycare at the gym for the one not in school.
2012-01-11 3:45 PM

Veteran
N.Ireland

swam 1000m this evening but it felt uncomfortable and I felt a bit burnt out, day off tomorrow to give the system a chance to recover.

Has anyone got a good bike and swim program for oly level, I should have  a bike by next weekend and looking forward to it.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FoggyGoggle's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 32