BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kim's Krew of Newbs CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2012-02-01 3:33 PM
in reply to: #3946139

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Kim's Krew of Newbs CLOSED

Hey Krew!  I hope everybody is still plugging along, working at goals!

I did take the roller/icing advice to heart and even had some cross friction applied to that knot in my calf...yes, there were tears...that HURTS!  But, happy ending, completed a 12 mile run this morning with no pain...yay!  Totally feel like I dodged a bullet!  I could feel that 'screw it' attitude coming on, like if I'm injured why bother.  I am not the best patient.  So, I am going to continue to stretch, ice and roll and hopefully that will be that!

How is everyone else doing?

2012-02-01 8:00 PM

User image

Regular
Annapolis

Swimming last night led to a nasty cramp in my calf, so I tried to swim with my ankle flexed, umm yeah that was a FAIL! … 

Kim's what's cross friction, and who does that for you? 

2012-02-02 7:15 AM
in reply to: #4024353

User image

Elite
Cross friction is locating the knot in the muscle and rather than massaging vertically, massaging horizontally across the muscle.  It hurt like a sonofagun!  I had my running buddy work on my calf Monday and Tuesday afternoon (hubby would've done it but was with our older daughter at pitching camp).  Whoever does it needs to have strong hands and a zeal for inflicting pain!  It was worth it though...the knot is totally gone.
2012-02-04 8:06 AM

User image

Regular
Annapolis

Anyone else with diet issues when training hard? The swimming class is kicking my butt and I'm super super hungry, I'm maintaining my weight but I'd like to lose. 

Maybe this is just a vent more than anything. I know I probably need to make better food choices. 

2012-02-05 10:40 AM

User image

Just had to share this crazy dream/nightmare I had last night with you guys....I'm now at week 40, and baby is still a little too comfy inside to come out and play.

Last night I dreamt that I discovered my hubs (also a triathlete, and one with a pretty undisciplined training schedule) had completed a marathon 4 days ago without telling me he'd even competed. A mutual friend (in my dream) casually mentioned it to me. I realized my husband (who runs his own restaurant in real life and therefore works insane hours) was training on the sly, and telling me he was at work, when actually he was running and leaving me (who can't bend over at this point) to take care of our 2 other kids all day (this actually happens in real life due to his long work hours)! Then, (in my dream) I found out that he had signed up for an Oly that was a 2 days away- also without telling me!! Never mind the stupidity of doing a mary and an Oly less than a week apart. I don't know what was more disturbing in my dream - that he got to train while I can barely tie my shoes, or that he was doing it all while pretending to be at work!! I was so angry in my dream I filed for divorce...

Sigh...in my first pregnancy I simply dreamed he was cheating on me (and once woke up and slapped him since the reality lines were still blurry). Now that we're both triathletes the end of pregnancy dreams have taken a weird turn!

Happy training ladies!!

2012-02-05 10:42 AM
in reply to: #4030294

User image

Regular
Annapolis
nursenoa - 2012-02-05 11:40 AM

Just had to share this crazy dream/nightmare I had last night with you guys....I'm now at week 40, and baby is still a little too comfy inside to come out and play.

Last night I dreamt that I discovered my hubs (also a triathlete, and one with a pretty undisciplined training schedule) had completed a marathon 4 days ago without telling me he'd even competed. A mutual friend (in my dream) casually mentioned it to me. I realized my husband (who runs his own restaurant in real life and therefore works insane hours) was training on the sly, and telling me he was at work, when actually he was running and leaving me (who can't bend over at this point) to take care of our 2 other kids all day (this actually happens in real life due to his long work hours)! Then, (in my dream) I found out that he had signed up for an Oly that was a 2 days away- also without telling me!! Never mind the stupidity of doing a mary and an Oly less than a week apart. I don't know what was more disturbing in my dream - that he got to train while I can barely tie my shoes, or that he was doing it all while pretending to be at work!! I was so angry in my dream I filed for divorce...

Sigh...in my first pregnancy I simply dreamed he was cheating on me (and once woke up and slapped him since the reality lines were still blurry). Now that we're both triathletes the end of pregnancy dreams have taken a weird turn!

Happy training ladies!!

that's a doozy! Funny how your jealousy turned from another woman to being able to train, sounds like your ready to get back to it as soon as you pop the baby out.. here's hoping for your sake it happens sooner than later, since you're 40 weeks… it's time! 

2012-02-05 2:40 PM
in reply to: #4029117

User image

Elite
kshuszar - 2012-02-04 8:06 AM

Anyone else with diet issues when training hard? The swimming class is kicking my butt and I'm super super hungry, I'm maintaining my weight but I'd like to lose. 

Maybe this is just a vent more than anything. I know I probably need to make better food choices. 

Kelly, boy did you post this at the right time!  My weight is stable right now with all the training I've been doing, but I too would like to lose the last 5 pounds.  Here is the thing though...my running is going great but I can't keep my diet consistent.  I'm not a 'quantity' type overeater, but I love love love candy.  I've been cutting msyelf some slack, but I know that no matter what my mileage is, if I continue to eat crap, eventually I'll gain weight and the last thing I want is to toe the line at my April marathon heavier than when I started.  This week I'm heading to Las Vegas for a conference Mon-Thurs so I'm going to do my best.  Saturday the 11th I'm running a half marathon...after that I'll be 10 weeks out from the marathon.  Maybe we can set up an accountability deal? Help each other with nutrition?  I know exactly how to eat properly...but by 3pm I enter the 'I ran 12 miles this morning, surely some M&Ms can't hurt' zone.  It's not a good zone for me because it carries over into the evening.  What do you think?  Up for some accountability?

2012-02-05 2:45 PM

User image

Elite
Noa...what a crazy dream!   Sounds like you are ready to get back to some training.   I remember with my second daughter when that 40 week hit and no baby, I collapsed in tears.  I just wanted her OUT!  We will be here waiting for you!  Happy pushing--hopefully sooner rather than later!
2012-02-05 4:56 PM

User image

New user

Vancouver

Hi Krew!!

It's only been a week but it feels like forever since I checked in. Got terribly side tracked with work and some lazy time. Took about 4 days off but now I am back on track!

My g/f and I decided to start with a new program called Insanity (very much like P90X but without all the equipment). Ive been very consistent and im enjoying it (started on Monday). It's a really hard workout... the first few days I could barely walk. Although I was doing so well with my tri training, I figured I could try this (60 day program) to see if I could cut back on some weight then get back to tri training. I am still going to try and include some biking and swimming when I get a chance.

I hope everyone is doing well!! It's nice to be back

-Sara

2012-02-05 9:54 PM

User image

Elite
Sara...I love Insanity! I've done the 60 day program through three times. I have to say I credit Insanity for getting me as fit as I am. You're right...it is really intense. I still do Insanity Cardio Abs but with the amount of running I'm doing now the other workouts would be too much. I miss it though! Good luck with it!
2012-02-06 3:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees

Well, I googled 'insanity' and came up with a set of dvd's on amazon for £105!!! Maybe not for me then - perhaps i'm not as insane as you lot! ;-)

Jennifer

2012-02-07 7:11 AM

User image

Regular
Annapolis

Kim, we can totally talk about being accountable. Since it's hard to actually check in on each other, how about when you hit the 2pm OMG I'm an athelete I can eat whatever I want feeling... we log in and tell what we DID eat, so that we can affirm the good choices that we've made.

(all typed as I sit at panera eating a breakfast sandwich...LOL)

What I need to get back to is setting a timer on my timex ironman watch, you can set it up to be recurring every 2 hours, it reminds  me to get up and eat something small, or go refill my water bottle. It helped sooo much, I never hit the wall with that OMG I need to eat something.

Not sure how much you all have read on the OMG I'm starving I missed lunch 3-4pm feeling; but apparently we're pre-programmed from caveman days that when our bodies think they are going into caloric starvation mode we end up craving carbs and fat; thus why the drive thru at 3pm looks so appealing!

2012-02-08 11:36 PM
in reply to: #4030947

User image

New user

Vancouver

ingleshteechur - 2012-02-05 7:54 PM Sara...I love Insanity! I've done the 60 day program through three times. I have to say I credit Insanity for getting me as fit as I am. You're right...it is really intense. I still do Insanity Cardio Abs but with the amount of running I'm doing now the other workouts would be too much. I miss it though! Good luck with it!

I am so happy that you know of insanity!! It totally just gave me even more encouragement to know that it worked for you. So far it's been amazing! Now that I am not sore after my workouts I get a lot more out of them. I am totally finding that I can do more and feel better and better everyday. I have also noticed some changes in my pictures.

I will definately be posting my before and after pic for you guys! Can't wait All I have to do know is be a little more consistent with my eating and I will be golden.

Today I went to a bike workshop were they taught me how to change a tire, lube my chain, and all the bike basics. I am trying to get more educated so I can get more out of the sport. I must admit that although I am loving insanity I definately miss my tri workouts. Hopefully I can get out for a swim or a bike tomorrow!

Hope this week is going well for everyone!!

-Sara

2012-02-09 9:03 AM

User image

Regular
Annapolis

here's one to laugh over...

my hubby is doing the bay swim this year 4.4 miles... OMG, anyway, I've been encouraging him to think about racing a tri, he's a great swimmer, loves spin class, and is a modertly good runner.

Anyhow, last night he asked if I was going to race Annapolis Tri Rock, which I've been thinking about skipping in lieu of a race in COlorado during our vacation (to be raced with hubby and his bro). would you believe he asked to use my bike... and even suggested changing the set up!!!

I reminded him that he just paid $300 for aero bars and a fit just for me, he's 3 inches taller with longer arms. His response was, I change the set up on the spin bike at the gym, how much different can it be on your cannondale... to which I just rolled my eyes, and told him under no cirucmstances was he to adjust my bike set up!

2012-02-10 11:12 AM
in reply to: #4037686

User image

Elite
kshuszar - 2012-02-09 9:03 AM

here's one to laugh over...

my hubby is doing the bay swim this year 4.4 miles... OMG, anyway, I've been encouraging him to think about racing a tri, he's a great swimmer, loves spin class, and is a modertly good runner.

Anyhow, last night he asked if I was going to race Annapolis Tri Rock, which I've been thinking about skipping in lieu of a race in COlorado during our vacation (to be raced with hubby and his bro). would you believe he asked to use my bike... and even suggested changing the set up!!!

I reminded him that he just paid $300 for aero bars and a fit just for me, he's 3 inches taller with longer arms. His response was, I change the set up on the spin bike at the gym, how much different can it be on your cannondale... to which I just rolled my eyes, and told him under no cirucmstances was he to adjust my bike set up!

Does he not know the sacred territory of our bikes...I panic when my 7 year old wants to climb on my bike while it's on the trainer lest her body weight changes the height of my seat by a nano-milimeter (not a real unit of measure I'm sure)!  If my hubby would ask me I would more drop over in surprise of him wanting to even do a race!

I do like your suggestions about the OMG 3pm food frenzy...post more on that later.  I have 27 7th grader incoming...!

2012-02-14 7:10 AM

User image

Elite

Happy Valentine's Day Krew!  I hope everyone is doing all right! I ran an indoor half marathon on Saturday, not sure if I would do it again, a bit mind numbing!  The race report is up if you're interested!

I'm thinking tomorrow I may challenge myself to quit sugar until the marathon on April 21st. I'm really struggling with sugar and I'm at a place where I really feel toxic again--I've just had so much candy the past few weeks.  I feel sugar 'hazy'.  I really believe it becomes a very toxic substance for me.  I know it would be futile to start today since I'll be inundated with sugar today at school.  Anyhow, something I've been thinking about.

Have a happy heart day!

2012-02-18 10:48 AM

User image

Elite

Pretty quiet Krew!  Hope all the training is going well!  How about some updates?

I'm still plugging along with my marathon training, it's really going well.  The only thing I'm nervous about it a possible cancellation of the whole race...there is a bit of controversy surrounding the race director.  The entire race is under new ownership now, so I'm hoping it will all be fine!

2012-02-22 2:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees

hi Kim,

Sorry about the silence - but it seems I'm not the only one..

Firstly - big congrats on the half marathon. I have signed up for one of those in the uk, the Great North Run - which is the biggest in the uk. At least with another 50,00 odd runners I won't be last. But its not till September. I couldn't do it now!!  And I hope your marathon goes well - you'll be doing an ironman berfore much longer.Smile

I am tootling along with the old training. Still missing a few and still not doing enough cycling, but the weather is getting better and better and I'm running out of excuses not to go out on my bike. I have a duathlon booked for March 25th and a 5 mile run race booked for April 1st.

What's happening everywhere else? Hope to hear from you soon. Its still only February - we can't all have given up so early????

Jennifer

2012-02-23 7:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees

You re all obviously very busy doing mad stuff. I though, actually got out for a run today but stopped after doing 2.77 miles in 30mins. I found it really hard going. Sometimes triathlon is one step forward and two back isn't it?

Hope you are all well

Jennifer

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kim's Krew of Newbs CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 7