BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Matt Gilmartin's 2nd Quarter Group- back in the pool! FULL HOUSE Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2012-04-25 1:52 PM
in reply to: #4168549

Subject: RE: Matt Gilmartin's 2nd Quarter Group- back in the pool! FULL HOUSE
My first triathlon is 6 weeks away so I decided to test my conditioning by trying to mimic the bike and run portions of the race. (15 mile ride and 4 mile run). I even set up a transition area in my garage to make the experience more realistic. The good news is that I finished and was ok with my times (54 minutes for the bike and 35 minutes for the run). The bad news is that the run was really painful. My calves felt like cement and didn't loosen up until near the end of the run. Anyone have any tips to ease the bike/run transition?

2012-04-25 3:07 PM
in reply to: #4123663

User image

Sorry to hear that Gator...I hope that with the exercises and rest you will be able to get a handle on it before it gets too out of control!

Fish - That's pretty smart re: setting up and practicing transitions. I wish I had practiced more as I think I had the slowest times out there! I think it's normal (at least for me) for our legs to feel heavy on the run - you are using different muscles to run and they have been sedentary for the past hour+. Make sure you hydrate well and are good and rested before your event. Good luck and I'm sure you'll do great!

2012-04-25 3:14 PM
in reply to: #4172213

User image

melindacumming - 2012-04-25 11:27 AM

Thanks for the link, Matt.

I went to visit the venue for my first Tri in June, and came back totally depressed.  The water looked foul (man-made lake),  the ride through gentle rollers in suburbia looks more like not so gentle rollers but you will keep peddaling because it is not a neighborhood where you want to stop and look vulnerable for very long, and the run around the lake is on pavement under construction!

Hopefully, I will be ready by then and so will the venue.  The bright spot right now remains the sponsor - Seattle Dilletante chocolates. 

Melinda

What an AWESOME sponsor for your tri! Bet you will have an awesome treat somewhere - either in your SWAG bag or at the finish line!!

We checked out the bike course a week before my ride and it scared me out of my mind. It was super hilly (at least to me) and most of the roads were chip-seal and many of them didn't seem very conducive to riding in a car, much less a bicycle, however, things were fine. The hills were manageable and I finished happy.

Don't worry about the course - come race day you will be so ready to go that nothing will matter. Let the RD's worry about the construction on the course and going through a suspicious neighborhood should give you some incentive to HURRY!! Laughing

In all seriousness, just concentrate on your abilities and do the best you can given the circumstances - I believe in you and know that you'll do great!

2012-04-25 4:26 PM

User image

Since 68 miles wasn't enough, I signed up for my first CENTURY!!! I have a tri this Saturday (followed by a 2.6 mile run later that day) and then a 100 mile bike the next weekend! So STOKED...but maybe a little out of my mind! I promise I will take the next weekend off (as I will be at a crawfish boil at my dear, sweet Grandmother's house)!
2012-04-26 3:46 PM

User image

Thanks for the cereal Matt! We just got it and the kids have already started munching (after school snack). They LOVE it! Thanks again!
2012-04-26 8:35 PM
in reply to: #4171493

mmez - 2012-04-25 7:56 AM I totally forgot part of my story: Around mile 25 or so, a lady that I pass falls in behind me and asks if she can draft for a while. I agree and she sits on my back wheel. Before I know it, we've become a pace line (I think that's what it's called) of 5 riders with me leading the pack for about 3-4 miles. Eventually someone moves up and pulls in front of me but then within a mile, we've rotated to me being back in the lead, which I don't mind (I really felt like being in the middle was slowing me down). We got to a rest stop and 3 of us decided to stop with the other 2 saying they didn't need to. I got what I needed and got back on the road while the other 2 that stopped were socializing with other riders. As I continued on, I started passing folks that decided not to stop at the rest stops! The 2 that were in my pace line I passed around mile 45 or so. The riders that I mentioned in my (long) report that stated they had done the ride for many years - I passed them around mile 55. I don't know I they bonked due to not stopping or if they just decided to slow down, but I felt really good knowing that not EVERYONE was passin me (even though I know it wasn't a race). The pace line was cool because at one point I looked back and saw the shadows of 5 cyclists in a row and thought "Wow! That is so cool and I can't believe I'm really a part of it"!

Thanks for sharing such an awesome awesome story!!

2012-04-27 9:32 AM

User image

I had a nice little run yesterday, and had an epiphany!  My IT bands (both left and right) started to tighten up after only about 1/4 mile.  I started to do what I do best, analyze.  I realized that they didn't bother me on the bike, or while swimming, why? 

I realized my running form was flawed!  When I cycle my legs are spread around the bike, and when I swim my legs spread out naturally from my hip. While running I was carrying my feet almost directly under my body, far inside of my natural hip width.  So much so my knees were brushing together.  I made a concentrated effort to move them more towards shoulder width, and my IT bands loosen up!

With my feet so far under my body I was over stretching them, causing them to tighten/rub on my knee joint.  I felt like both a genius and an idiot at the same time!

Now I know I need to focus on strengthening my lateral hip/quad muscles to get myself to keep my legs apart comfortably.

Is anyone else having nagging injury problems?

Edited by GatorRunner 2012-04-27 9:36 AM
2012-04-27 9:51 AM
in reply to: #4176537

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

Nice job on figuring that out. That's interesting how much form can impact the body. I sympathize with your nagging injury. Luckily I don't have an ongoing injury problem, but I am very prone to bad sinus infections that put me on the sidelines for a couple of weeks because it gets in my chest and I can't breathe. It's so frustrating to have a goal or a race coming up and not be able to train. At least I know my infections will go away with antibiotics though. I wait until the last minute to sign up for races so I know I won't have a sinus infection. It's just harder this time of year with allergy season in fulll swing. Best of luck with the IT bands and you new form! 

GatorRunner - 2012-04-26 10:32 AM

I had a nice little run yesterday, and had an epiphany!  My IT bands (both left and right) started to tighten up after only about 1/4 mile.  I started to do what I do best, analyze.  I realized that they didn't bother me on the bike, or while swimming, why? 

I realized my running form was flawed!  When I cycle my legs are spread around the bike, and when I swim my legs spread out naturally from my hip. While running I was carrying my feet almost directly under my body, far inside of my natural hip width.  So much so my knees were brushing together.  I made a concentrated effort to move them more towards shoulder width, and my IT bands loosen up!

With my feet so far under my body I was over stretching them, causing them to tighten/rub on my knee joint.  I felt like both a genius and an idiot at the same time!

Now I know I need to focus on strengthening my lateral hip/quad muscles to get myself to keep my legs apart comfortably.

2012-04-27 5:11 PM
in reply to: #4176537

User image

GatorRunner - 2012-04-27 9:32 AM

Sounds like you might be on to something Gator...sounds like an easy enough fix! Hope your next run proves your theory is correct!!

2012-04-28 6:19 AM

User image

Packing for three of us to head out for a tri at noon. Afterwards we have a road run late this afternoon...what a busy day!
2012-04-28 11:13 AM
in reply to: #4178008

User image

Good Luck!

2012-04-28 4:57 PM

User image

Regular
WI

Did a half marathon this morning.  Wasn't quite ready for it, but decided to do it.  Was not feeling well last week or the majority of this so I considered scratching because I just hadn't been putting in the miles.  Luckily I survived to tell the tale.

Race report here.

The gym I belong to started a tri-training group.  We have a ride planned for tomorrow afternoon, so I will be doing some active recovery.  If it wasn't for them I'd probably be on the couch all day. 

Hope everyone is having a productive weekend!

2012-04-28 7:35 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

Christian, every time I click on that race report link I get logged out of BT.  Really odd- I sent a note to the admins, looking forward to seeing your report.  What was your time?

I love active recovery- you get so much better the next time out.  

2012-04-28 7:40 PM
in reply to: #4178725

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
mcgilmartin - 2012-04-28 6:35 PM

Christian, every time I click on that race report link I get logged out of BT.  Really odd- I sent a note to the admins, looking forward to seeing your report.  What was your time?

Seriously, this is so weird- I get:

A registered account is required to view this page.
Recently registered? Your account may be pending authorization.

Then I have to login again.  Anyone else having this issue?  Google chrome/Windows 7?

2012-04-28 7:43 PM
in reply to: #4178732

User image

New user
Western North Carolina
Same here, logs me off. I love race reports.
2012-04-28 10:06 PM
in reply to: #4178725

User image

Regular
WI
mcgilmartin - 2012-04-28 7:35 PM

Hmmm...  Never had an issue like that with race reports - I use Firefox.

Half marathon time was 1:51.  Would have been faster had I not stopped to walk 7 times. 

2012-04-29 6:51 AM

Hey everyone!

Sorry for being MIA over the last few weeks.  I have been away at chemistry camp (AKA University) with labs and exams (scoring 98% and 100% for my exams Laughing  followed by a little road trip (300km). I took my bike with me down to uni but wasn't able to get a ride in due to pouring rain and horrid red dust in my chain.  I did get a big walk in though - does it count that I walked from town back to uni after dinner and drinks with a guy from my lab?

I am back home now and getting back into it.  A walk/run home from work tomorrow afternoon is on the cards.  Our tri season is over for the winter so I am able to focus on weight loss and strength training for the next few months.

So happy reading everyone is training and racing hard.

Catie

2012-04-29 4:00 PM
in reply to: #4179048

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

Had a very disappointing first OWS experience today. I bought a wetsuilt because the OWS for my May 12 tri should be in water about 65 degrees. I bought the full suit. It felt very constricting and hard to swim in. I felt so slow! I don't have a tri suit, so I was wearing bike shorts and a running tank underneath it. Maybe that just made it too tight? And the arms, maybe I just can't pull the suit/fabric up enough and it gets stuck around my butt and the padded shorts so that there's not enough left at the shoulders, but It was like wearing rubber bands on my arms that made it difficult the more you tried to extend your arms. They were so tired when I got out of the water.

I followed Xterra's size chart and checked 5 pounds below and above my weight to make sure the recommended size wasn't on the border. I'm 5'4 130 pounds and that was the women's medium suit. I am going to try it again in the next few days, but I'm wondering if I should get a sleeveless instead so that my arms can move better? Plus I had a hard time getting out of it, but I don't have any body glide or anything either. What am I doing wrong? I am really rethinking this May 12 tri now. I would be so exhausted getting out of the water that I would have a terrible bike and the run would be a walk!

The good news is that I was definitely warm, and the water was 63 today. And my goggles didn't fog and I am better than I thought at siting. Have to focus on the positive!  

2012-04-29 4:19 PM
in reply to: #4179048

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
catiek - 2012-04-29 5:51 AM

Hey everyone!

Sorry for being MIA over the last few weeks.  I have been away at chemistry camp (AKA University) with labs and exams (scoring 98% and 100% for my exams Laughing  followed by a little road trip (300km). I took my bike with me down to uni but wasn't able to get a ride in due to pouring rain and horrid red dust in my chain.  I did get a big walk in though - does it count that I walked from town back to uni after dinner and drinks with a guy from my lab?

I am back home now and getting back into it.  A walk/run home from work tomorrow afternoon is on the cards.  Our tri season is over for the winter so I am able to focus on weight loss and strength training for the next few months.

So happy reading everyone is training and racing hard.

Catie

Catie- glad to have you back!  I think you'll get a lot out of us here in North America... our season is just getting underway

2012-04-29 4:22 PM
in reply to: #4179593

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Jenheaslip - 2012-04-29 3:00 PM

Had a very disappointing first OWS experience today. I bought a wetsuilt because the OWS for my May 12 tri should be in water about 65 degrees. I bought the full suit. It felt very constricting and hard to swim in. I felt so slow! I don't have a tri suit, so I was wearing bike shorts and a running tank underneath it. Maybe that just made it too tight? And the arms, maybe I just can't pull the suit/fabric up enough and it gets stuck around my butt and the padded shorts so that there's not enough left at the shoulders, but It was like wearing rubber bands on my arms that made it difficult the more you tried to extend your arms. They were so tired when I got out of the water.

I followed Xterra's size chart and checked 5 pounds below and above my weight to make sure the recommended size wasn't on the border. I'm 5'4 130 pounds and that was the women's medium suit. I am going to try it again in the next few days, but I'm wondering if I should get a sleeveless instead so that my arms can move better? Plus I had a hard time getting out of it, but I don't have any body glide or anything either. What am I doing wrong? I am really rethinking this May 12 tri now. I would be so exhausted getting out of the water that I would have a terrible bike and the run would be a walk!

The good news is that I was definitely warm, and the water was 63 today. And my goggles didn't fog and I am better than I thought at siting. Have to focus on the positive!  

Jen, 5'4 130 is right where you should be for an Xterra medium suit.  First thought is that you didn't have it pulled up enough- was the suit pulled fully up to your crotch?  I've seen folks struggle on the swim and it's because they have a ton of slack in the lower 1/2 of their wetsuits.  Definitely, definitely definitely get bodyglide too- that will help immensely!!!!

Glad you are staying focused on the positive, too.  Give it a try again this week and report back.

Matt

2012-04-29 4:25 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

Sorry to take up space here, but I'm starting to get a little desperate    I need to get to $250 in pledges by this weekend, and I'm sitting at $126 right now.  For those of you who are new, I'm running the Chicago Marathon in October for the American Cancer Society.  Even a donation of $5 makes a difference if you can support me.

https://secure3.convio.net/tacs/site/Donation2?df_id=1009169&PROXY_ID=26495672&PROXY_TYPE=20&FR_ID=42914&1009169.donation=form1

I promise I won't post about it here again. 

2012-04-29 10:17 PM
in reply to: #4179616

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

Thanks Matt. I think that's what the problem was. Going to get BodyGlide tomorrow hopefully. Forgot to ask, my calves were pretty fatigued afterward and I barely used my legs. Is this normal?

mcgilmartin - 2012-04-28 5:22 PM
Jenheaslip - 2012-04-29 3:00 PM

Jen, 5'4 130 is right where you should be for an Xterra medium suit.  First thought is that you didn't have it pulled up enough- was the suit pulled fully up to your crotch?  I've seen folks struggle on the swim and it's because they have a ton of slack in the lower 1/2 of their wetsuits.  Definitely, definitely definitely get bodyglide too- that will help immensely!!!!

Glad you are staying focused on the positive, too.  Give it a try again this week and report back.

Matt

2012-04-29 10:19 PM
in reply to: #4179621

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

We can donate anytime this coming week? That's awesome that you are running for the Cancer Society!

mcgilmartin - 2012-04-28 5:25 PM

Sorry to take up space here, but I'm starting to get a little desperate    I need to get to $250 in pledges by this weekend, and I'm sitting at $126 right now.  For those of you who are new, I'm running the Chicago Marathon in October for the American Cancer Society.  Even a donation of $5 makes a difference if you can support me.

https://secure3.convio.net/tacs/site/Donation2?df_id=1009169&PROXY_ID=26495672&PROXY_TYPE=20&FR_ID=42914&1009169.donation=form1

2012-04-29 11:12 PM
in reply to: #4180195

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Jen, calves being sore means that your feet were parallel to the rest of your legs- where they should be.  Do me a favor and try doing some heel raises in the gym.  See how those feel, then we'll talk about your kick.  Do you have Zoomers?  Are you using them on a regular basis? 
2012-04-30 6:15 AM
in reply to: #4179621

Hey Matt,

Great cause!  I hope you make it over the $250.  All money raised for a cure / prevention of cancer is money well spent.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Matt Gilmartin's 2nd Quarter Group- back in the pool! FULL HOUSE Rss Feed  

of 25