BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's Tri-ing to get ready for an IM (and a sprint, and an olympic, and some running) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2012-06-01 8:37 AM
in reply to: #4238670

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Eli's Tri-ing to get ready for an IM (and a sprint, and an olympic, and some running) OPEN

annec - 2012-06-01 7:23 AM Lol...I figured that out after I re-read your post.   Woke up at 4:00 for a 7:30 start, at the sandwich at 6:00ish. Too close to race start?  I was figuring it would be there (in my system) to use during the race... ?

Sandwich at 6:00 ish is OK. However, you needed more, and probably earlier. Maybe not as much for a HM, but for an HIM, you really want some food early. Even a can of ensure or something like that would help.

2012-06-01 8:40 AM
in reply to: #4129044

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Eli's Tri-ing to get ready for an IM (and a sprint, and an olympic, and some running) OPEN

Hey All,

So, I am on week 2 of getting serious about my IM training. Volume is up, and...I hurt.

Not bad, but working out fatigued is a lot harder than I remember. Performance is down in some ways, but I can tell it is related to soreness or fatigue. I rode a bunch last weekend, and when I did my intervals running on Tuesday, my left leg was stiff.

I have been working the foam roller and it isn't roo bad, but it reminds me of an important rule-Don't follow your plan into a brick wall.

So, I hope to get in my swim today, and a long ride tomorrow and Sunday, but will be paying special attention to my leg to prevent a little niggle from becoming a major injury.

2012-06-01 11:11 AM
in reply to: #4238855

Rochester
That brings up a really good question...if you start a workout and you feel like you are slogging through it, do you just keep going? Or abandon it?  I usually keep going as much as I can (i.e. "I will run/swim/bike x distance more, and if I still want to quit, I will..."). Not talking about soreness or pain, just pretty much that exhausted, heavy leg feeling...
2012-06-03 9:48 AM

User image

Evansville, IN

Sorry for not being on here too much lately. Work has been busy so my time has been focused on that and getting in a good workout. I have hit it pretty hard lately. My run is getting better but my left leg is being sluggish post op. I have powered through a few runs but I don't want to ignore the pain too much. My doc said that is pretty normal for one to lag and that it will take a little time for everything to get back to normal. 

I do have a question for all you veterans on here. I know if you can answer this you will be answering the million dollar question but what are the benefits to minimalist shoes or barefoot running? Friday when I had my doctors appointment he wanted to see how I run so he put me on a treadmill. I run heel to toe and he says that is working the area I had operated on more and is the cause of some of the pain since i'm not healed up 100% yet. He wants me to start running with a mid foot strike and even suggested getting some of the Five Fingers shoes because they will let me know when i'm getting tired through my workout if I start getting sloppy and switch back to heel strike. Do you any of you run with the minimalist shoes or even the Vibrams? Just looking for thoughts of anyone who uses or has used them. 

Thanks in advance. 

2012-06-03 9:48 AM

User image

Evansville, IN

Sorry for not being on here too much lately. Work has been busy so my time has been focused on that and getting in a good workout. I have hit it pretty hard lately. My run is getting better but my left leg is being sluggish post op. I have powered through a few runs but I don't want to ignore the pain too much. My doc said that is pretty normal for one to lag and that it will take a little time for everything to get back to normal. 

I do have a question for all you veterans on here. I know if you can answer this you will be answering the million dollar question but what are the benefits to minimalist shoes or barefoot running? Friday when I had my doctors appointment he wanted to see how I run so he put me on a treadmill. I run heel to toe and he says that is working the area I had operated on more and is the cause of some of the pain since i'm not healed up 100% yet. He wants me to start running with a mid foot strike and even suggested getting some of the Five Fingers shoes because they will let me know when i'm getting tired through my workout if I start getting sloppy and switch back to heel strike. Do you any of you run with the minimalist shoes or even the Vibrams? Just looking for thoughts of anyone who uses or has used them. 

Thanks in advance. 

2012-06-04 8:24 AM
in reply to: #4241606

Rochester

HI Neumann:

I tried Vibrams, and was very enthusiastic about it.  But, it ended up causing a lot of inflammation in the ball of my foot (I have an extra bone in each of my second toes...long story).  Had to part with them. They didn't work for me, but I know a lot of other people swear by them.  I belong to a very large running group, and no one uses them, other than maybe for short (3 mile) runs...

You may want to check into Newton's...they have a design to work people into mid-foot striking...

Anne

2012-06-04 9:13 AM
in reply to: #4239270

User image

Master

annec - 2012-06-01 11:11 AM That brings up a really good question...if you start a workout and you feel like you are slogging through it, do you just keep going? Or abandon it?  I usually keep going as much as I can (i.e. "I will run/swim/bike x distance more, and if I still want to quit, I will..."). Not talking about soreness or pain, just pretty much that exhausted, heavy leg feeling...

I think it depends. If it is a workout that is supposed to be focused on quality-Sprints, intervals, etc, I might decide to rest or take it easy.

Rest and recovery are key parts of success in training. If you find yourself fatigued and unable to hit goal paces, you may need to take a break for a day or two. Your overall fitness won't be hurt by missing a couple of workouts, and you will most likely benefit from the rest.

2012-06-04 9:18 AM
in reply to: #4241606

User image

Master
neumann_jc - 2012-06-03 9:48 AM

Thanks in advance. 

Jake,

I run in vibrams once a week or so. I spent a large part of the last two years trying to slowly change my stride and strengthen my feet, ankles and calves.

So, virbarms WILL make new parts of you foot and calves stronger, as running in them FORCES you to run more midfoot. Without the heel padding, it just hurts to run on your heels.

However, it takes a while to get used to them. I have been running once a week or so in vibrams for over a year and I still get sore if I am not careful. I can go for about 5-6 miles max. Even then, I rarely run on pavement, since it isn't really forgiving enough for me and my 210 lbs in minimalist shoes.

I would say try a pair, but walk around in them for a while and don't do more than .5 miles at first. You will notice the difference. I also think that Anne's idea of Newtons is a good one, as they were designed to promote a midfoot/forefoot strike.

That being said, you can also change by focusing. It does take a while to switch, and you may develop new aches and pains. A shorter stride and more upright running position help a lot.

Hope that helps, and I am happy to answer other questions about it.

2012-06-05 7:58 PM

User image

Master

Whew, went for a short run tonight and I was...tired.

However, it still felt good to be out there. Not sure that starting a "streak" is the best thing for my IM training, but I will give it a few weeks.

2012-06-07 2:08 PM

User image

Master
Whew, long run of 2 hour tonight. Already a little tired. Should be interesting.
2012-06-08 9:13 AM

User image

Master

Yikes,

I made it through the 2 hour run. It was really only about 1:43, but I went 11 miles, so I am pretty happy.

I didn't leave till 9 PM, I got sidetracked reading a book And ordering Pizza,, and eating it.

However, I finally got out and ran, and was very happy. Feeling pretty good today as well. I need to swim and run a little today, and I am not sure when that will get done.

School is out here, so I have my daughter today. I need to get her swimming so i could take her to the pool!

2012-06-08 12:37 PM

User image

Evansville, IN

I got in a good run last night too. Not 2 hours but long enough for me. I going for a long bike ride (long for me anyway) tomorrow and depending on how I feel after I might jump off and go for a run to start getting my legs used to the switch from bike to run.

I have finally started dropping the weight now that I am able to actually do more stuff. I get to reward myself with some new clothes soon. The old stuff is starting to hang off me. That will be a love/hate day for me. I love that i've lost enough to get new clothes but i'm cheap and i'll hate buying them. LOL!

2012-06-11 7:34 AM
in reply to: #4252014

User image

Master
neumann_jc - 2012-06-08 12:37 PM

I got in a good run last night too. Not 2 hours but long enough for me. I going for a long bike ride (long for me anyway) tomorrow and depending on how I feel after I might jump off and go for a run to start getting my legs used to the switch from bike to run.

I have finally started dropping the weight now that I am able to actually do more stuff. I get to reward myself with some new clothes soon. The old stuff is starting to hang off me. That will be a love/hate day for me. I love that i've lost enough to get new clothes but i'm cheap and i'll hate buying them. LOL!

Jake,

that is the kind of good news/bad news you like to hear about. Congrats!

2012-06-11 7:35 AM

User image

Master

Hey All,

So...how was your weekend? Last week was another long one for me. I did most of my training sessions (I think I skipped a swim, maybe two) and had a longish day on Saturday.

4 hour ride with a 1 hour run. All in all, I did OK. My bike computer was being flaky, but aside from that, I was happy. It was hot here, and by the end of my run, I was feeling a little cooked.

Luckily, my training group got together for a cupcake bake off, so I was able to refuel.

2012-06-11 10:42 AM
in reply to: #4254858

Rochester

Super hot here, too all weekend!

Did a practice HIM in preparation for Welland (in 13 days).  Did a 1.2 mile open water swim, and a 60 miles bike (because 56 miles just wasn't long enough when it is 88 degrees outside...). Got in under my goal times for both!

Taper time!!!

2012-06-11 1:57 PM
in reply to: #4255286

User image

Master
annec - 2012-06-11 10:42 AM

Super hot here, too all weekend!

Did a practice HIM in preparation for Welland (in 13 days).  Did a 1.2 mile open water swim, and a 60 miles bike (because 56 miles just wasn't long enough when it is 88 degrees outside...). Got in under my goal times for both!

Taper time!!!

Wow, that is fantastic. What a great training day. Awesome to make it under your goal time as well.

So...are you tapering? Reducing volume but keeping some intensity? What is your goal time?

2012-06-12 7:03 AM
in reply to: #4255832

Rochester

Yep - tapering.  This week seems a little high...Sunday (a week before the race) calls for an 80 minute tempo run.  I think I am going to cut that back to 45 minutes...80 seems like a bit much so close to the race...

Just came off two rests days in a row - ready to jump back into it!!

Goals (remember, I am kind of slow) -

Swim: come in under 50 (I did 42 on Saturday, so that shouldn't be a problem...)

Bike: Come in between 3:30 -3:45 (I came in a 3:43 Saturday)

Run: Come in under 3 hours (my best half is just under 2:30, but I have NO idea what to expect after swimming and running.  Welland is also known to be humid, and I melt in the heat and humidity...)

I am freaking out a little bit that my training is coming to an end, and I have no plan after Welland.  No big races.  I have another HIM and a Full Mary on the horizon, but I haven't committed yet.  Very scary place for me to be...no plan...

2012-06-13 1:25 PM
in reply to: #4257087

User image

Master
annec - 2012-06-12 7:03 AM

Yep - tapering.  This week seems a little high...Sunday (a week before the race) calls for an 80 minute tempo run.  I think I am going to cut that back to 45 minutes...80 seems like a bit much so close to the race...

Just came off two rests days in a row - ready to jump back into it!!

Goals (remember, I am kind of slow) -

Swim: come in under 50 (I did 42 on Saturday, so that shouldn't be a problem...)

Bike: Come in between 3:30 -3:45 (I came in a 3:43 Saturday)

Run: Come in under 3 hours (my best half is just under 2:30, but I have NO idea what to expect after swimming and running.  Welland is also known to be humid, and I melt in the heat and humidity...)

I am freaking out a little bit that my training is coming to an end, and I have no plan after Welland.  No big races.  I have another HIM and a Full Mary on the horizon, but I haven't committed yet.  Very scary place for me to be...no plan...

Don't freak out!!! Here is a link to one of my favorite IM prep talks, but I think it applies to the HIM distance as well. HIM are NO JOKE!
http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/4-Keys-to-Ironman-Execution.htm

Which races are you thinking about?

2012-06-14 8:21 AM
in reply to: #4259855

Rochester

GREAT article!!

IM Wisconsin 2014...anyone done it yet?  Any advice?

2012-06-18 9:27 AM
in reply to: #4261168

User image

Master
annec - 2012-06-14 8:21 AM

GREAT article!!

IM Wisconsin 2014...anyone done it yet?  Any advice?

Ride a lot! There was a movie about people training for IM wisconsin in 2009. I think a BT'er was the producer and some of the people in the movie are on here. I will try to find the name.

That being said, IM training is about consistency, and biking. At least as far as I can tell.

2012-06-18 9:29 AM

User image

Master

Hey All!!!

How are you all. I had a decent weekend. I was out of town all last week, but luckily it was a short week, so I didn't miss much.

Ran more than rode this weekend, but I figure I need it either way, and my total volume was close to what I wanted, so I figured that should still put me in good stead.

7 weeks left till IM NY/NJ. Planning for a couple of long weekends the next few weeks. I am excited.

How is everyone else doing?

2012-06-20 7:59 AM

User image

Master

Wheee,

Wednesday already. What happened?

1 hour bike and 30 minute run for me today. May have to use the spin bike, as it is raining crazy outside.

How is everyone doing?

2012-06-20 10:20 AM
in reply to: #4271037

Rochester

4 days to go till Welland HIM.  Need to write down my "Plan of Attack."  I am feeling very anxious all of a sudden, and I think that will help settle me down...

2012-06-21 10:39 AM
in reply to: #4271413

User image

Master
annec - 2012-06-20 10:20 AM

4 days to go till Welland HIM.  Need to write down my "Plan of Attack."  I am feeling very anxious all of a sudden, and I think that will help settle me down...

YAY!!! Race day coming. 

You have done all the hard work. At this point, all you can do is focus on your execution.

Plan of attack is a good way to think of it. For the longer races, I always have an A, B and C plan. C is the "just finish" plan.

I would say the biggest things are to NOT go to fast on the bike, and to go slow at the start of the run. Ride the first hour at an "easy-medium" pace and focus on nutrition and feeling good. When in doubt, slow down. 

Same thing for the run. Go SLOW off the bike. Slower than you might think you need to. It is too easy to come of the bike and start running at your "regular" pace. This pace may be too fast. Run 4-6 easy first, and then go back to "regular" if you want. 

And most of all....ENJOY!!!

Good Luck, and I can't wait to hear about it.

2012-06-21 10:43 AM

User image

Master

So...got in my long run today. Got up at 6:30 or so and just got out there. It felt great, and I had a good run.

I didn't get my workouts in yesterday, aside from a 2 mile walk with my wife.

I was doing OK, but kept putting off the bike/run brick that was on my schedule until it became too much of a hassle to get it done.

Now, I know that one workout doesn't make or break my training, and I have been doing well so far, so I wasn't too upset.

Of course, since I was grumpy with myself about not training, I also ate some serious crap. I made almond/cranberry biscotti and ate about half of it (which is about 6 servings too many). Then, for dinner, I basically ate oreos.

Feeling OK now, since I got in my run, and amazed at how my attitude can swing so fast.

Next time, maybe 30 minutes on the bike and a few less oreos.....

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's Tri-ing to get ready for an IM (and a sprint, and an olympic, and some running) Rss Feed  

of 10