BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RE-OPENED Birkierunner's 2013 mentor group - RE-OPENED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2013-01-07 9:05 AM
in reply to: #4542585

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE: Birkierunner's 2013 mentor/training group - CLOSED

As Neil stated, the issue of weight training is a hot topic.  Is it absolutely "necessary"?....I would say no.  Can it be beneficial?....I would say perhaps and it probably won't hurt either.  If you have limited time I definitely would not spend any of that time doing anything but s/b/r.  There may be cases where you have an injury and muscle imbalance has resulted due to the injury so that is a case where weight training would be warranted to correct the imbalance and get you back to regular training.  If your run efficiency is affected by weakness somewhere perhaps your efficiency can be improved by specific weight training to address it.  If someone wants to simply attain greater core strength and has the time to do it I wouldn't discourage it...with the caveat that it doesn't take time away from s/b/r time and the workouts aren't so severe that they impact subsequent s/b/r workouts.  There are some that say plyometric/explosive type resistance training may produce neuromuscular adaptations that benefit performance. 

How does the above fit into the original question by Todd above of doing this on a "rest" day.  If an athlete told me he needs that "rest" day to actually REST the we would incorporate total rest days into his schedule.  If an athlete was handling his assigned training load easily and he simply wants to do some "active recovery"...and I would suggest non or low impact activity.....on the rest day maybe we would discuss stretching, yoga, or some of the resistance training discussed above.  Its going to vary widely among individuals.  

Edited by Birkierunner 2013-01-07 9:48 AM

2013-01-07 9:45 AM
in reply to: #4565238

User image

Elite
Ontario
mandsberry - 2013-01-06 10:15 PM

To piggy-back a bit off the taper questions, I'm entering a recovery week for running; but, just starting to pick up biking again.

Should my recovery weeks for biking and running occur at the same time?  Will I recover enough from running if I'm building my bike endurance and intensity at the same time?

I concede that my issue arises from not following a tri-specific training program at the moment - I won't start that until late March; but, I think I need to work in some low mileage/high intensity bike rides to prepare for an early April Sprint that is two weeks after my Marathon attempt.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.  

I've followed both a half marathon training program, and Jorge's winter program at the same time, and had good results with both.  The key was to vary the days with higher intensity - I didn't worry about the weeks so much.  i.e. If Wednesday had a very intense bike session then I would expect my legs to suffer a bit, and would aim to choose a run workout that was easier the next day - I wasn't too concerned with dropping the volume, just making sure the intensity was lower.  Another good option, is mixing around the run/bike days, so that you swim following a couple of tough or high volume run/bike days.

At the same time, if I had a big weekend of training, with a long ride and run, then come Monday, I would aim for a less intense bike session.  Personally, I never aimed to lower the volume of my long runs on the weekend, even if they followed a ride the day before, simply because I liked the idea of training on legs that were a little tierd.  Come race day for the HM, I found that having fresh legs following the taper was really to my benefit.  If I had always trained on fresh legs I don't know that I would have run as well in the latter portion of the race.

2013-01-07 9:49 AM
in reply to: #4565192

User image

Pro
trei - 2013-01-06 8:25 PM

Ok, here is a question (or maybe two?):  I am trying to plan out my weeks of training for IM.  The program would officially start in Mid February.   I'd like to take one whole day off and preferably Monday after the long run and ride, but looking at all that needs to get accomplished I was wondering if putting the weight training on Monday would be o.k..  Since its not triathlon specific (swim, bike or run).  First, what is the thought on weight training (necessary or not) and second should my day off be completely off or could it contain some nonspecific training?

Thanks!

Todd, see my comments on the weight training post above...

2013-01-07 10:16 AM
in reply to: #4565828

User image

Pro
GoFaster - 2013-01-07 9:45 AM
mandsberry - 2013-01-06 10:15 PM

To piggy-back a bit off the taper questions, I'm entering a recovery week for running; but, just starting to pick up biking again.

Should my recovery weeks for biking and running occur at the same time?  Will I recover enough from running if I'm building my bike endurance and intensity at the same time?

I concede that my issue arises from not following a tri-specific training program at the moment - I won't start that until late March; but, I think I need to work in some low mileage/high intensity bike rides to prepare for an early April Sprint that is two weeks after my Marathon attempt.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.  

I've followed both a half marathon training program, and Jorge's winter program at the same time, and had good results with both.  The key was to vary the days with higher intensity - I didn't worry about the weeks so much.  i.e. If Wednesday had a very intense bike session then I would expect my legs to suffer a bit, and would aim to choose a run workout that was easier the next day - I wasn't too concerned with dropping the volume, just making sure the intensity was lower.  Another good option, is mixing around the run/bike days, so that you swim following a couple of tough or high volume run/bike days.

At the same time, if I had a big weekend of training, with a long ride and run, then come Monday, I would aim for a less intense bike session.  Personally, I never aimed to lower the volume of my long runs on the weekend, even if they followed a ride the day before, simply because I liked the idea of training on legs that were a little tierd.  Come race day for the HM, I found that having fresh legs following the taper was really to my benefit.  If I had always trained on fresh legs I don't know that I would have run as well in the latter portion of the race.

A agree with most of Neils first paragraph.  With regards to the second paragraph and long runs on weekends following a long bike...you will see 2 schools of thought on that in the tri sites and blogs.  One school is that you should separate your long run from your long bike by a couple or even a few days.  The thought is that you should do your long run on fresh legs and that you can never duplicate the run of an ironman or half ironman during training so why bother trying to do it....its just another day of running on tired legs according to that camp.  I guess I can see how some/many athletes would benefit from that approach is they are relatively new to training...heck, even more experienced triathletes may benefit from it once in a while.  I tend to lean towards the second school and part of that is related to my beliefs in the value of brick runs and epic training weekends as well.  As I mentioned a few pages back we are training to be triathletes...not someone that trains to swim fast, bike fast, run fast and occasionally will enter an event where they happen to do all 3 back to back on a given day.  Yes, your quality/higher intensity sessions for running should be done on fresh legs.  But if you are going to be required to do a long run after a long bike in a race I certainly would want to do that in training at least a few times before the race.  Doing a long run on Sunday after a long ride on Saturday can't mimic a long distance tri exactly but it sure as heck is going to give you better feedback than a standalone long run in the middle of the week.  Will you be able to run that Sunday session faster than the mid-week run???...probably not depending on the bike session on Saturday...but we aren't training to do a standalone run.   So I can make an argument for mixing up both approaches.  It still all boils down to what works for the individual and not everyone will respond the same.

2013-01-07 6:30 PM
in reply to: #4565284

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
GoFaster - 2013-01-06 10:56 PM

I think this is key.  Scott, although you have a pedigree background in athletics, I think it's key that you focus on the fact that how you tapered for swim meets 30 years ago, may not be the ideal way to prepare for triathlons today. 

I just think you need to be realistic about how your body will handle the adaptations it's going to go through over the next few months - and in to 2014.

Well, in a nutshell, that is why I am here.  I may have been an elite swimmer back in the day, I may have ridden my bike a couple hundred miles a week 30 years ago, but when it comes to triathlon, I am a babe in the woods.  I know that my swimming career and experience, while invaluable in many respects, is not going to directly translate or correlate to triathlon training and/or competition.  I am planning on leaning on those of you with more experience to learn the things I don't know.

2013-01-08 7:20 AM

User image

Sarnia

Call out to the 'chicks'. Laughing Being a woman, I've got these damn hips to contend with.  And they are always throwing my lower back out.  Anyone else experience hip/lower back issues?  What kind of strengthening excercises do you do for this?

Joanne

2013-01-08 5:53 PM

User image

Pro
How is everyone starting this week off???
2013-01-09 8:25 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Decent start for me - I'm getting back into the habit of two a days.  Mostly this means a lot of lunch hour workouts, btu it also means I need to suck it up and start getting out of bed in the morning.  I'm not a morning person at all.
2013-01-09 10:40 AM
in reply to: #4569584

User image

Pro

GoFaster - 2013-01-09 8:25 AM Decent start for me - I'm getting back into the habit of two a days.  Mostly this means a lot of lunch hour workouts, btu it also means I need to suck it up and start getting out of bed in the morning.  I'm not a morning person at all.

During Jan-Mar I try to get in a 3.5 mile run in on the treadmills at work simply to get in run miles in addition to my main workout later in the afternoon.  This serves 2 purposes...1) its an easy way to get in run frequency and build "durability" in legs, and 2) it serves as a way to ensure getting in some type of workout for the day in the event that something comes up to prevent getting in a main workout in the late afternoon. 

2013-01-09 11:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Smithfield, VA

GoFaster - 2013-01-09 9:25 AM Decent start for me - I'm getting back into the habit of two a days.  Mostly this means a lot of lunch hour workouts, btu it also means I need to suck it up and start getting out of bed in the morning.  I'm not a morning person at all.

I need to start using my office gym for lunch runs again.  This would free up my mornings and/or evenings to actually get on my bike, which I've yet to do.  It's all set up on the trainer waiting to go... getting dusty.  

Today is Wednesday, I'll officially commit to 3 rides this week of at least 30 minutes.

2013-01-09 12:54 PM
in reply to: #4570076

User image

Started this week with bike 1hr on Tuesday and swim 45 min on Wednesday (Monday is my off day).  I do these first thing in the morning, but have blocked off some time for lunch time training as well starting Mid February. 

Thanks for the input on the weight training.  I think I will keep it as an "only if I have time thing".  I think my core could use some help though.  I  have been doing yoga, but its mostly a yoga for runners, so isn't really optimal for core.  I'll  have to throw in some planks every now and then.

2013-01-09 1:56 PM
in reply to: #4570076

User image

Elite
Ontario
mandsberry - 2013-01-09 12:59 PM

GoFaster - 2013-01-09 9:25 AM Decent start for me - I'm getting back into the habit of two a days.  Mostly this means a lot of lunch hour workouts, btu it also means I need to suck it up and start getting out of bed in the morning.  I'm not a morning person at all.

I need to start using my office gym for lunch runs again.  This would free up my mornings and/or evenings to actually get on my bike, which I've yet to do.  It's all set up on the trainer waiting to go... getting dusty.  

Today is Wednesday, I'll officially commit to 3 rides this week of at least 30 minutes.

Do you have a plan for what these will look like?

2013-01-09 3:05 PM

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
GoFaster - 2013-01-09 9:25 AM

Decent start for me - I'm getting back into the habit of two a days.  Mostly this means a lot of lunch hour workouts, btu it also means I need to suck it up and start getting out of bed in the morning.  I'm not a morning person at all.

x2

I am trying to get back in the swing of things, but I have yet to get to the pool, which is pretty normal for me. However, I really need to start gearing it up a bit and that likely means getting up to train in the mornings.
2013-01-09 8:50 PM
in reply to: #4570362

User image

Veteran
Smithfield, VA
GoFaster - 2013-01-09 2:56 PM
mandsberry - 2013-01-09 12:59 PM

Nothing specific at this point.  For this week, my first ride in almost two months, my primary goal will be to just get on the bike and spin the legs for a bit.  I'll probably start up start up with Jorge Winter Maintenance plan though.

2013-01-10 5:47 AM
in reply to: #4571029

User image

Elite
Ontario
mandsberry - 2013-01-09 9:50 PM

Nothing specific at this point.  For this week, my first ride in almost two months, my primary goal will be to just get on the bike and spin the legs for a bit.  I'll probably start up start up with Jorge Winter Maintenance plan though.

I was going to suggest Jorge's plan - nothing maintenance about it though, it pushes you.  If you start asap then then first couple of weeks are geared to getting you back in the swing of things.  I'm not a big fan of HR for this program because HR lags too much for most of the interval work.  If you don't have power, then it's better to go by RPE.

Edited by GoFaster 2013-01-10 7:54 AM
2013-01-10 9:22 AM
in reply to: #4571327

User image

Veteran
Smithfield, VA
GoFaster - 2013-01-10 6:47 AM
mandsberry - 2013-01-09 9:50 PM

I was going to suggest Jorge's plan - nothing maintenance about it though, it pushes you.  If you start asap then then first couple of weeks are geared to getting you back in the swing of things.  I'm not a big fan of HR for this program because HR lags too much for most of the interval work.  If you don't have power, then it's better to go by RPE.

HR and RPE are all I have access to.  I've done Jorge's program before, and can attest to the intensity of it.  I'd love to enter the Power Meter market, but until an economical unit hits the market, I'm afraid I'm constrained.  Just can't sell the wife on the cost at this point.  

FYI, I'm an avid fan of DCRainmaker's blog.  If anyone is interested in Triathlon Tech related information, there is no better place on the internet.  His travel blogs are incredible to read as well.  I got to race against him once in an Oly.  He won his age group - I had my first and only DFL.

2013-01-10 10:01 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Agree about Rainmaker - fast dood, great blog.

I know he took a shot at Kona through IMC a couple of years ago and fell short, just wasn't his day.

Scott - have you taken a look at what types of times you'll need to have a chance at Kona?

2013-01-10 10:07 AM

User image

Pro
It's amazing how detailed Rainmaker's product reviews are....good stuff.  Scott and I are in the same age group (I turn 52 next week) and for the races I'm considering I'm going to have to go 9:45 to 10 hours for KQ.  Not sure when he "ages up" to the 55-59 AG but that will add some time to his KQ.  Seems like KQ times get insanely faster each year.

Edited by Birkierunner 2013-01-10 10:16 AM
2013-01-10 11:31 AM
in reply to: #4571768

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
GoFaster - 2013-01-10 11:01 AM

I know he took a shot at Kona through IMC a couple of years ago and fell short, just wasn't his day.

Scott - have you taken a look at what types of times you'll need to have a chance at Kona?

Yes I have.  Louisville last year in the 55-59 AG was 10:52.

I did a swim TT a couple weeks ago - 500 Yards in 5:53.  I was pretty happy cause I was able to negative split it so my swim fitness is pretty much where it needs to be.  The average works out to around 1:10.5/100.  Assuming I can hold near that pace for the full IM distance that would work out to a sub one hour swim for an IM distance.  I looked at splits for Louisville 2011 and the best I can find is an average - it was 1:19:00 for the swim so I might be able to come out of the water with a bit of a cushion.

I need to do some TT stuff to see where I am with the bike.  I am looking forward to a real bike on a real road for some real miles.  Come mid April I am thinking maybe a 50 mile TT to see where I am at?  Thoughts? 

And then the run - yeah that is still a problem.  That is "my Achilles heel" so to speak; and that is why I continue to be somewhat run focused.

JIM - I turn 55 in June so any competition this year is going to be in the 55-59 AG.

2013-01-10 11:32 AM
in reply to: #4571779

User image

Elite
Ontario

For fun I had looked up some of the times posted on this website.

http://www.runtri.com/2010/07/ironman-kona-qualifying-times-comparing.html

Agree, that the speeds you need to hit really are intense.  Looking at the old guys category Laughing, you need to be able to put together somewhere around a 10hr race at most of these venues just to have a shot.

ETA - looked at 50-54AG when I posted this.

Edited by GoFaster 2013-01-10 11:41 AM
2013-01-10 11:41 AM
in reply to: #4571996

User image

Elite
Ontario
k9car363 - 2013-01-10 12:31 PM
GoFaster - 2013-01-10 11:01 AM

Yes I have.  Louisville last year in the 55-59 AG was 10:52.

I did a swim TT a couple weeks ago - 500 Yards in 5:53.  I was pretty happy cause I was able to negative split it so my swim fitness is pretty much where it needs to be.  The average works out to around 1:10.5/100.  Assuming I can hold near that pace for the full IM distance that would work out to a sub one hour swim for an IM distance.  I looked at splits for Louisville 2011 and the best I can find is an average - it was 1:19:00 for the swim so I might be able to come out of the water with a bit of a cushion.

I need to do some TT stuff to see where I am with the bike.  I am looking forward to a real bike on a real road for some real miles.  Come mid April I am thinking maybe a 50 mile TT to see where I am at?  Thoughts? 

And then the run - yeah that is still a problem.  That is "my Achilles heel" so to speak; and that is why I continue to be somewhat run focused.

JIM - I turn 55 in June so any competition this year is going to be in the 55-59 AG.

I think the key is that most fo the fast guys are going to be in hour to hour ten range for the swim - and really, 10min out of the water at this distance is not much of a cushion.  A really good swimmer on this site, who is also an overall decent triathlete, came out of the water 14th overall at IM Tremblant.  He was mentally prepared to then be passed a lot on the bike - and it's not cause he's slow, just that others are reaaaaallly fast.

As for the 50mile TT, I think that is overkill.  If you want to put down a solid TT, 40km is the distance to give it a shot at.  Anywhere close to 1 hour on a basically flat course is a solid time.

Why is the run a problem?  I took at look at your logs, and you're being consistent, but with very short runs, at a slow pace (not being snarky with that comment).  Is it a case of building mileage/consistency at the moment, or do you have an injury? 

2013-01-10 11:41 AM
in reply to: #4571999

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

GoFaster - 2013-01-10 12:32 PM

Looking at the old guys category Laughing

HEY!  Show some respect!  LOL Laughing

2013-01-10 11:50 AM
in reply to: #4572024

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
GoFaster - 2013-01-10 12:41 PM

Why is the run a problem?  I took at look at your logs, and you're being consistent, but with very short runs, at a slow pace (not being snarky with that comment).  Is it a case of building mileage/consistency at the moment, or do you have an injury? 

I have never run.  I am in the last week of a Couch-to-5K program.  On Monday I start working specifically for the Mini-Marathon on May 4th (13.1 miles).  The log run times and distance include WU and CD so the pace is a bit lower than actual.  Normally I am around 14:30/mile give or take (and yeah, I know I need to get down to less than half that).  I have not been overly concerned with run pace, focusing instead on getting to where I can actually run.  I figure as I increase the mileage the pace will take care of itself to a point.  I know at some point I am going to need to do some work to increase run speed but right now I am just happy to be able to increase distance.

2013-01-10 11:55 AM
in reply to: #4572024

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

As for the 50mile TT, I think that is overkill.  If you want to put down a solid TT, 40km is the distance to give it a shot at.  Anywhere close to 1 hour on a basically flat course is a solid time.

Thank you.  I have a lot of bike miles, but have never done anything "formal" (racing, training, etc.).  Thinking I can average X mph and having the clock say I can average X mph are two different things so looking forward to actually seeing what the clock says.

2013-01-10 11:57 AM
in reply to: #4572056

User image

Elite
Ontario
k9car363 - 2013-01-10 12:50 PM

I have never run.  I am in the last week of a Couch-to-5K program.  On Monday I start working specifically for the Mini-Marathon on May 4th (13.1 miles).  The log run times and distance include WU and CD so the pace is a bit lower than actual.  Normally I am around 14:30/mile give or take (and yeah, I know I need to get down to less than half that).  I have not been overly concerned with run pace, focusing instead on getting to where I can actually run.  I figure as I increase the mileage the pace will take care of itself to a point.  I know at some point I am going to need to do some work to increase run speed but right now I am just happy to be able to increase distance.

I think that increasing volume conservatively is certainly a smart strategy - and likely the safest one.  As a new runner, spending most of your time in zone 1/2 is also a good idea, as long as your zones are correct.  If you have any doubt then an RPE of "I can do this for a long time" is a decent benchmark.

Pace will improve over time, but you also need to push yourself on occasion so the body knows what it feels like to run faster.  I'm not saying to do that at the moment, but in time, you'll need to.  Do you already have a specific plan for the mini-marathon?

Oh, and since I didn't mention it before - I wish I had some your swim speed!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RE-OPENED Birkierunner's 2013 mentor group - RE-OPENED!!! Rss Feed  

of 25