BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (5th season) - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 100

2012-12-27 3:24 PM
in reply to: #4550276

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group (5th season) - Open
HC203 - 2012-12-27 3:19 PM

Hi Ernesto and group,

This looks like a good place to start, seems to be quite a bit of combined experience in here.

I'm 49, almost 50. My only goal is to make the 50s my decade, take my training seriously, do some tri's, bike racing, cyclocross. Did a few cyclocross races this fall but I was simply unprepared for that level of exertion. I can do long distances, ride all day, but need to work on that high HR stuff, intervals etc.

Weight-I'm not terribly overweight, at six foot and 190-95 lbs I can certainly see getting down 20 lbs or so. This has dogged me forever on the bike, too much weight on the climbs but kill it on the flats.

Experience-I bike lots, or pretty much, 7000 miles in 2012, have run races, 5k, 10k, half marathon, but I'm very inconsistent in my training and have run several races with virtually no training. I did a sprint try a few years back and though the swim was very short it felt like torture. I'm signed up for a sprint next Sept, an event that I could not attend this year so they're holding my reservation.

I belong to a swim club here in Baltimore, great facility, lots of triathlete's, Michael Phelps and other olympians call it home, so lots of inspiration there. That said I can't seem to grasp the swimming thing and believe my next step is to take some lessons.

My goals-more consistent training, sprint, olympic, possibly half IM in the next year or two. Bike racing, MTB and cyclocross. Learning to swim better.

Thanks,

Harry

Another Baltimorean (or Baltimoron, depending on who you ask Smile)!!  Welcome!

I live in Canton near Patterson Park.  Are you a member at NBAC?  My daughter has a swim meet there soon (we're at the Merritt).

2012-12-27 3:27 PM
in reply to: #4543349

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cotati, CA
Any room left?  Count me in if there is!  Will send bio later but in a nutshell...I will be the lead weight anchor of this group.  Back of the Pack and starting from scratch.

Edited by Jimi 2012-12-27 3:28 PM
2012-12-27 3:35 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Wow...Ernesto's attempt at mentor group world domination is complete!!  The latest post in both the active and archived forums is for this group.  Just noticed it and thought it was amusing.  Smile

2012-12-27 3:37 PM

Extreme Veteran
Israel / NJ
mike you have 9 new routes Just a FYI lol
2012-12-27 3:53 PM

Ernesto/group,

I wanted to ask some swimming type questions regarding distance swimming.  Currently training for full IM in Texas this spring.   This is my first IM distance race--been following Fink's Iron Fit training regimen (30 wk intermediate).  Swimming and bike are my big weak points.... Today I did my second 2500 yd straight swim.  I will have to update my logs for everyone to see but I completed this in 50 minutes (1:55/100yd). My problem is that at about 800-1000 yds I start to get some sort of stomach ache.  When this occurs it becomes bothersome enough that I have desire to stop... I resorted to doing a 50 yd backstroke segment during this time which seemed to help alot.  I also had to do this on another occaision after about 2000 yds.  Both times these "breaks" seemed to help significantly.... I am new to this stuff but I am concerned about these events.  I feel that I should be able to push thru these issues as I have done OK with the training program so far.  Any advice on long distance swims?  Is there a good way of distracting yourself from the monotony? What are you guys doing nutrition wise?  (on my first swim I drank alot of powerade and 2 cliff bars--this time just a 2 small energy bars without liquid... I thought that the powerade may have contributed to my first stomach ache)  Are there any tricks or techniques when you feel a stomach ache or your form breaking down?  Do people do backstroke during the swim in the IM??  Should I start doing more distance swims in addition to the program swimming?

Thanks so much Augg

2012-12-27 3:54 PM
in reply to: #4550387

New user

temoniprince - 2012-12-27 4:13 PM Welcome! WHere in NJ do you live, i live 117 on the parkway!

Hi - I'm at parkway exit 138.  The Asbury Park sprint seems so soon!  Can I be ready for my first TRI by June 12th???  (REMINDER: I'm starting from zero.... or perhaps some negative number....)

Denise

2012-12-27 3:58 PM

User image

Roch-cha-cha

Hoping there is still room.
Name: Krista/ username: kristaae

Story:

I've been a runner for about 8 years, and started dabbling in duathlons in 2012 with some ok success (3rd in my AG last fall in a sprint du).

Family status: I am a combat vet , married for almost 8 years to a fellow soldier (now a reservist).  I am also a registered nurse in the Kessler Burn/Trauma ICU at University of Rochester Medical Center/Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester, NY.  For not having kids, I'm pretty darn busy.  Love my job to having the opportunity to heal others.  

CURRENT TRAINING: Canned plans don't work for me, since I have a crazy schedule (3-12 hour shifts per week, with occasional weekends.  Hence, I don't have the liberty of "long run Saturdays" or "Tempo Thursdays").  Work days are often light running days, and I cram everything else on my days off.  Unconventional, but it has worked for me in the past year quite well.  I also snowshoe a lot in the wintertime.

I also race for two teams affiliated with our local running store:  A general racing team, and also an endurance/trail running team that is co-sponsored by Salomon.

I guess my claim to fame is doing races/training in ridiculous conditions.  I completed a half-marathon in February in -10 degree weather and 50+ MPH wind gusts, and still only finished about 6 minutes off my PR.  Also completed a 3-stage, 2-day trail race on a grade-3 ankle sprain.  First and only marathon was a trail race with over 5k feet of climb.  Nope, never said I was smart about my training - just that I'll do it in about anything Cool

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Flower City Challenge du, Autumn Classic Du (3rd AG in super-sprint).  PRd in the 5k and HM this year, too, after a significant health issue over the summer.  I also did my first Century ride, with a few on the books for 2013.

For 2013:  Hope to complete a half IM, but in general, just get more comfortable with dus and tris and improve my run performance after the bike, and confidence on the bike itself.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm maybe about 5 lbs from my goal weight, but I've lost 20 over the past year.  Wasn't an eating issue, but more of a stress issue (to say I'm less stressed now than I was a year ago is scary, considering the profession I'm in)

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I don't take things too seriously.  I'm not lazy, but over the years I've learned to appreciate little accomplishments.  I appreciate the journey as much (if not more so) than crossing the finish line.  My pride is in my training to get to my goal.

Edited by kristaae 2012-12-27 4:00 PM
2012-12-27 4:03 PM
in reply to: #4550462

Extreme Veteran
Israel / NJ
nice to met you! YEs you can, i did it and if i can do it anyone can do it. Just get a plan and follow it. It wont let you down.  
2012-12-27 4:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada

Name: Derek

Story: Last June I decided that I needed to make a change in the way I lived my life.  I was 245 lbs.  I had taken up running a few years earlier however I consistantly hit road blocks with injuries to my knees.  Last June I bought a road bike off a friend for $40, a 1990 Specialized Sirus.  I decided that biking would be easier on my knees then running 5-6 times a week.  I had no idea how to train for races and ran 5-6 times a week at race pace.  When I decided that I would do a tri, I began searching the internet and found this site.  It opened up a whole new world of training ideas.  8 weeks later I had lost 20 pounds and complete my first sprint in 1:27:50.  8 weeks earlier I couldn't swim a lap without gasping for breath.

Fast forward 6 months.  Ive lost 40lbs without changing my diet.  Ive gone from a 2:30/100m avg. swimmer, to a 1:48/100m avg. swimmer.  I PR my last 10k of the season by over 3 minutes, at 47:26, and I just purchased a new P2. 

FAMILY:  Happily married for 2 years, and the proud father of the baby girl born August 8th.  Shes part of the reason for the change in life style.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I plan on doing a HM on May 19th.  I planed on doing this race 2 years ago and injured myself during the training.  Im two of them have pool swims.  I plan on then doing 2-3 Olympic races, with my A race being in early Sept.  Finly I may do a 10k or another HM near the end of the season if I can.  I currently swim three times, bike three times and run four times a week.

WEIGHTLOSS: Starting Jan. 1st I'm cutting back on booze and snacks.  It shouldn't be too bad as I can easily cut those out with out too much trouble.  The holidays and partys over the past few months have kept the weight steady.  Im looking to get to 190-195lbs.  Sitting at 205lbs right now.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  I have a drive to compete.  I can't exercise for exercise sake.  I need something to drive me forward.  In my early days I played a high level of ice hockey, after I was done with the competition I had nothing to work toward.  Racing has given me a drive to constantly better myself.

Cheers,

heres to the upcoming season, Derek

2012-12-27 4:28 PM

User image

Master
Dallas
All the people above this post, you're in the group. All the people below, sorry, officially closed.
2012-12-27 4:34 PM

User image

Baltimore
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group (5th season) - Closed
Mike,
Yup, Baltimore, I live up near Towson but have a riding friend who lives near PP. I am a member at NBAC, mostly just weights and some mucking around in the water. I'll be there tomorrow.
Harry

2012-12-27 4:40 PM

User image

Ernesto,

I would love to join your mentor group.

Name: Robert

Story: Father of five like you and I am 46. Ages 11 (boy), 8(boy), 5(boy) and twin 4 year old girls. I work full time and my wife besides being a fantastic mother is a small business owner. I'm not sure that she fully understands the time commitment this will take but she is trying to be understanding.Over the last two years I started running.

Races: In 2011 I did a half marathon and a full marathon. For 2012 all I did was a full marathon but I greatly increased my mileage from the year before.

Races for 2013: I'd like to do the Rockford marathon in May and a sprint triathlon in early June along with the half-tri in Racine Wi in July.

Current training: I had a bad hip injury during my marathon in September and just recently have been able to run pain free. Since it is cold here in the midwest I have moved indoors to the treadmill at my healthclub. We also have a pool at the club so I am beginning the total immersion path to swimming. I also have an indoor trainer for my bike in the basement. I hope to be able to dedicate 6-10 hours of training during the winter and increase that once the weather warms up.

Weight loss: I'm not too concerned about weight loss. Once I started putting the running miles in last year the weight came off. I have put those pounds back on since I haven't been running because the appetite didn't go anywhere. I think once I start adding miles on the treadmill and bike I'll be down to a fighting weight of around 180-183 on a 5'11" frame.

Why I would be a good mentee?: As my wife would say once I put my mind to something its hard to get me to not complete it. So my goal is a half ironman this year and a full in Madison in 2015. With the right mentor I'm sure I can achieve those goals.

2012-12-27 4:46 PM
in reply to: #4546073

User image

Roch-cha-cha
dangremond - 2012-12-23 3:32 PM

Still need to get my Admiral's support....it's our anniversary today (17 years) - got her a nice gift, figure today is the best time to bring it up again. 

Happy Anniversary.  You and I seem to "wargame" our training in a similar fashion.  Hubby wanted a new truck, and I said "fine, I'm getting my tri-bike next spring".Wink

2012-12-27 4:46 PM
in reply to: #4546073

User image

Roch-cha-cha

Still need to get my Admiral's support....it's our anniversary today (17 years) - got her a nice gift, figure today is the best time to bring it up again. 

Happy Anniversary.  You and I seem to "wargame" our training in a similar fashion.  Hubby wanted a new truck, and I said "fine, I'm getting my tri-bike next spring".Wink

2012-12-27 4:52 PM
in reply to: #4550509

User image

Master
Dallas
rgarcia1501 - 2012-12-27 4:40 PM

Ernesto,

I would love to join your mentor group.

Name: Robert

Story: Father of five like you and I am 46. Ages 11 (boy), 8(boy), 5(boy) and twin 4 year old girls. I work full time and my wife besides being a fantastic mother is a small business owner. I'm not sure that she fully understands the time commitment this will take but she is trying to be understanding.Over the last two years I started running.

Races: In 2011 I did a half marathon and a full marathon. For 2012 all I did was a full marathon but I greatly increased my mileage from the year before.

Races for 2013: I'd like to do the Rockford marathon in May and a sprint triathlon in early June along with the half-tri in Racine Wi in July.

Current training: I had a bad hip injury during my marathon in September and just recently have been able to run pain free. Since it is cold here in the midwest I have moved indoors to the treadmill at my healthclub. We also have a pool at the club so I am beginning the total immersion path to swimming. I also have an indoor trainer for my bike in the basement. I hope to be able to dedicate 6-10 hours of training during the winter and increase that once the weather warms up.

Weight loss: I'm not too concerned about weight loss. Once I started putting the running miles in last year the weight came off. I have put those pounds back on since I haven't been running because the appetite didn't go anywhere. I think once I start adding miles on the treadmill and bike I'll be down to a fighting weight of around 180-183 on a 5'11" frame.

Why I would be a good mentee?: As my wife would say once I put my mind to something its hard to get me to not complete it. So my goal is a half ironman this year and a full in Madison in 2015. With the right mentor I'm sure I can achieve those goals.

By  the time you posted this we were closed, but you're in since you were typing as I closed the group. Welcome!
2012-12-27 4:54 PM
in reply to: #4550518

User image

Master
Dallas
kristaae - 2012-12-27 4:46 PM

You would not believe my bag of dirty tricks to get spousal credit in order to sign up for races. Before all of you ask, it's a proffesional secret, haha! Surprised

2012-12-27 5:00 PM
in reply to: #4550530

User image

Master
ernestov - 2012-12-27 5:54 PM

You would not believe my bag of dirty tricks to get spousal credit in order to sign up for races. Before all of you ask, it's a proffesional secret, haha! Surprised
C'mon, you have to at least message me...ex-military, I know loose lips sink ships....
2012-12-27 5:30 PM

User image

Master
Dallas

Final roster:

Tiffany (roadrhino) new to the thread
Nikki (hippotude) new
Andy (Climbinggonzo) veteran from past seasons
Mitch (dangremond) veteran
Matthew (Matthews) veteran
Trevor (spie34) new
Taylor (tayvincent) new
Augg (auggiebishop) new
Scott/Doc (gobluedds) veteran
Jackie (jackiep) veteran
Gabriel/Gabe (sirgab) veteran
Chris (chris2533) veteran
Randy (RandyP1964) new
Chris (millscd63) new
James/Jim (JBacarella) veteran
Joe (JoePetto) veteran
Mark (markz) veteran
Sammy (themoniprince) new
Samy (Samy) veteran
Mike (jmhpsu93) new
Greg (Gla56) new
Barry (baurryman) veteran
Doug (speed22522) new
Jordan (flyingpenguin) new
Caroline (NovaMom) new
Darcie (Pixiedustlady) new
Kate (Ktbollman) new
John (Jables) new
Marc (Pitch) new
Juancho (Juancho) new
Lisa (NWrunner) new
Harry (HC203) new
Lisa (LisaGee) new
Denise (neeceeb) new
Rebecca (rebeccatrisirons) new
James (Jimi) new
Krista (kristaae) new
Derek (BigDaddyD79) new
Robert (rgarcia1501) new

That totals 40 if you count me. That's a good size boat! to all the new members, don't think that you will not get attention. I've been always really committed to the thread and everybody gets all the proper TLC. Wink

2012-12-27 5:37 PM
in reply to: #4550540

User image

Roch-cha-cha
dangremond - 2012-12-27 6:00 PM
ernestov - 2012-12-27 5:54 PM

C'mon, you have to at least message me...ex-military, I know loose lips sink ships....

Despite the bling I got for Christmas, and the bike I'll be getting next spring, he's still in the negative.  With the truck, and a few pieces of farm implement that right now are used for snow removal...heck, as long as he keeps buying crap, I'm gonna play my cards. Money mouth

2012-12-27 5:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Glad to be part of the group. I'm sure this will have a positive effect on my training. Let the fun begin!
2012-12-27 6:33 PM
in reply to: #4550566

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cotati, CA

YES!! Made it under the wire.  Happy to be here!

Name: James

Story:  52 years old.  Father of 2 daughters (19 and 15), been with the love of my life for the past 10 (got it right the second time), work behind a desk cleaning up the environment for the past 25 years, sports fan (Yeah Giants, Niners, Warriors and Sharks - last i will share about sports here), own the very best dog in the world, have a crazy cat that thinks she is a dog, am a suburban farmer and been a true fan of the see-food diet (I eat everything I see) and beer.

Was with BT several years ago and completed my first triathlon. Got distracted and quit exercising (the "too busy" excuse).  Just had the come-to-Jesus talk with my doc... way too fat, getting old, way too lazy, pre-diabetic heading for shots,  on pills for several things caused by my undisciplined eating and sedentary lifestyle.  My girls (partner, daughters and dog  [the cat could care less]) want me on the planet for  a while so i figure it is time to get serious.

Races in 2012: none

Races for 2013:  Sprints in June and September.  Starting very slow to rebuild a base.  I have a habit in the past of going out of the gate too quick and getting burned out or hurt....really want to pace myself this time for the long haul.

Current training: dabbling at the gym this week.  Starting regular program on 1/2/13.

Weight loss: YES, yes, yes!  Doc "suggests" trying the Paleo diet thing (no grains, no dairy, no sugar, and [gulp] no alcohol) for 30 days.  Thinking about trying the Whole30 plan.

Why I would be a good mentee?: never been one so hard to say.  How about "I am a good listener" and understand that guidance is a good thing.

Thanks to everyone in advance for being part of my team!  Here's to success!

2012-12-27 6:53 PM

New user

I've decided on my first two races:

Haddon Township (NJ) Mini Sprint, May 26th
Swim 218.72 yards Bike 6.45 miles Run 2 miles

New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Course, July 20th
Swim 546.81 yards Bike 11.5 miles Run 3.11 miles

I still need to develop a training plan. 

Denise

2012-12-27 7:04 PM
in reply to: #4550660

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
neeceeb - 2012-12-27 7:53 PM

I've decided on my first two races:

Haddon Township (NJ) Mini Sprint, May 26th
Swim 218.72 yards Bike 6.45 miles Run 2 miles

New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Course, July 20th
Swim 546.81 yards Bike 11.5 miles Run 3.11 miles

I still need to develop a training plan. 

Denise

Denise:Are you a fellow Delware Valley resident?
2012-12-27 7:05 PM
in reply to: #4546803

User image

Roch-cha-cha
Samyg - 2012-12-24 11:28 AM

My "Not If, but When" moment came today. When on a easy ride this morning, and just as I was about to finish, I look down at my Garmin for a sec and BAM! A road colored rock that I did not see. Happy to report no broken bones (I think) and no head banging. Nice road rash on my shoulder, wrist (?), palm, and knee on the left side. But my biggest concern is a nice hematoma on my right hand palm (will wait a few days to see if I need a doctor or not for that). Shredded left glove and a few nice holes in my shirt.

Dang, dude! 

Thankfully this year I managed not to fall.  The usual culprits are daredevil squirrels.  AKA:  "Gods little speed bumps".

Get better soon!

2012-12-27 7:07 PM
in reply to: #4550526

User image

Glad to be a part of the group. Not sure if I'll have much to add but I sure look forward to any advice and ideas.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (5th season) - Closed Rss Feed  

of 100