BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eriq's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2013-01-11 9:49 PM
in reply to: #4549295

Subject: RE: Eriq's Mentor Group - CLOSED

I had a great Friday night movie night...which translates to...I rode for 60 minutes on my indoor bike while watching a movie.  No popcorn, no twizzlers...just me on my bike pedaling away in the basement watching a movie I borrowed from the library.  I was focusing on endurance today, so didn't push myself too hard, but nonetheless pedaled 21 miles.  Good overall workout.  

My legs were heavy from yesterday's 10k run, but overall it was a good 60 minute session.  The weather here is supposed to be nice tomorrow, so hopefully I can get outside for another mid-winter run.

Hope everyone has a nice weekend.

2013-01-13 11:50 AM

User image

New user

An entire day without updates. Hope that means everyone is pressing away.

I updated my TP so all my updates should now be public. I plan on hitting the bike trainer later during a football game

2013-01-13 4:34 PM

User image

Been out enjoying the ridiculously warm weather. It was 13-15 degrees Celsius this weekend (high 50s?). Yesterday I did an easy long run (10 miles) to see if I was recovered from my cold, and felt fabulous at the end. Might have been the fact it was sunny and I was wearing shorts and a t shirt...in January, in Toronto. Yes, Canada.

Speaking of which, I have an odd question.

I felt like 10 miles was nothing yesterday. Wasn't tired at all. Wasn't sore. Nothing. Could easily have kept going. This despite not doing any 10 mile runs since November. Even then, 10 miles never felt crazy easy.

So, the question: From your experience, does building endurance on the bike translate to running? I've worked up to 2h rides on the trainer the past couple of months. Wondering if that is why running for only 1.5h seemed less challenging than previously - despite only really doing 11-12k long runs for the past eight weeks.

Jana
2013-01-13 6:26 PM
in reply to: #4576419

User image

Veteran
Inland Empire, CA

Definitely see the bike translating to the run. Hard to quantify it, but it definitely does translate.

A good amount of tri acquaintances will tell me about a bad race, especially on the run. A lot of these people think that they need to work on their run. But a lot of times it has to do with your bike. People push too hard leaving little left in the tank for the run. If you can improve your bike, your run leg will most likely show improvement as well.

2013-01-14 9:46 AM
in reply to: #4576525

eriqpimentel - 2013-01-13 7:26 PM

Definitely see the bike translating to the run. Hard to quantify it, but it definitely does translate.

A good amount of tri acquaintances will tell me about a bad race, especially on the run. A lot of these people think that they need to work on their run. But a lot of times it has to do with your bike. People push too hard leaving little left in the tank for the run. If you can improve your bike, your run leg will most likely show improvement as well.

x2 - this is very true, at least in my experience.  Most folks don't realise the toll the bike takes on you during a race.  It's alot more than most people give it credit for.  The best way to train on the bike to improve your run, IMHO (and I'm sure there are other opinions) is to focus on training at race speed and on hills.  Endurance will get you through the race, but speed and hill training will help the most.

The idea is that your legs will come off the bike fresher and you won't have spent a disproportionate amount of energy on the bike leg leaving you 'near empty' for the start of the run.  And once you're 'near empty', it's very difficult to recover...hence the usual story of how tough the run leg was.

2013-01-14 7:34 PM

User image

My first couple tri's the run kicked my butt.  I did more tempo and speed work running as well as started longer rides and some bricks.  This helped and I am working on running endurance at the start of this year to have a based to realize the full potential.

60 min ride tonight and a quick swim to cool down at 600 yeards.

Making progress.

2013-01-14 8:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Inland Empire, CA

Hope everyone had a great weekend! Maybe you got some training in, maybe you got some recovery in.

For me, it was the end of a tough block. Sat included some bike intervals. Sun was hill sprints followed by threshold miles and repeat. Now I'm on some endurance/recovery stuff this week.

In other news, my coach left the company I'm working with and got assigned a new coach. My new coach actually coached my previous coach to a Kona qualifier at IMWI a few years ago. My new coach also comes from a competitive swimming background so I might have some new swimming stuff to share with you.

Hope all is well. I'll be checking out all your logs again in the next day or two.

2013-01-14 8:09 PM

User image

Just wanted to say sorry for being so quiet... it's the first week of classes and I'm a college professor so not much time for posting, but I'm getting to the gym every day and doing something at least. 

Swam 1200 meters today and did some intervals.    I'm slow, but that's faster than my normal leisurely pace, and I know that if I want to get faster I need to swim faster.  I never know what my true pace is because I swim 200m, take a break, do some PT stretches for my back or psoas, put on fins, take off paddles, adjust goggles, adjust cap, chat with someone who wants to share a lane, WHATEVER,  and I don't always look at clock, so often I get out, and I see that about 30 mins has passed, and I've swam ~1000m, but it wasn't continuous.  I need to pay better attention.  

I can't find my 910xt, but I need to find it and start wearing it and keep track of stuff.   

2013-01-14 8:57 PM

User image

New user

I have searched these forums for an answer but without result. My question is about wetsuits, and I am not trying to start a discussion about sleeves or no sleeves but, I have a sleeveless wet suit and might be swimming in some cold water this spring. Do people ever wear swim sleeves with a sleeveless wet suit? or some type of arm warmer made of neoprene? I saw TYR makes one and was just seeing of this is an option for cold swims for those of us with only a sleeveless suit. Thanks

Eriq, at my current training level that you see, is Austin 70.3 in Oct a realistic goal?

2013-01-14 9:30 PM
in reply to: #4578656

User image

Veteran
Inland Empire, CA

i dont think ive ever seen people use the sleeves but that doesnt mean you shouldnt. if you have a sleeveless suit and dont have the means to buy a new suit, i think using sleeves would be the next best option.

is a 70.3 a realistic goal? hmm... how to answer this. depends...

my friend started the 2012 season with a few marathons and some biking under his belt, but no swimming experience. in 2012, his first EVER triathlon was IMAZ. he made it out of the water in under 2 hrs and finished between 15-16 hrs. would i recommend making a HIM or IM as your first tri? heck no! but is it doable, if you're willing to put in the time and effort, then sure. and one thing to consider in my friend's case is that he had a good sized running base and decent cycling base.

could you make it to the finish line before the cut-off? maybe... with enough time/effort invested in training. but i really wouldn't recommend it for your first season. plus i'm not too sure what kind of base you have previous to this year. i dont recall seeing it in the thread as i dont have it written down in my little cheat sheet on the group.

2013-01-15 9:51 AM

User image

New user

This is my first year of Tris but I have a solid running base and some experience on the bike. With that being said I think 70.3 is going to be my A race late 2014. For now I am going to do a few sprints this summer and try an olympic distance in July or August. Starting a good foundation sounds like a good idea.

I have been riding my trainer and it seems like to maintain the same speed, about 17 mph, it takes a lot more effort inside than it did this past summer. I have 7 levels of resistance but I have it set on the least and just adjust resistance with my gears. Is it typical for trainer rides to be harder than outdoor rides given the same desired speed? I was in the same gear and same cadence.

2013-01-15 9:59 AM

New user

Toronto, Ontario
I was at my Masters swim group last night and was pushing myself doing 50 m on the 1:10 (this is tough for me although I appreciate it really isn't that fast). Anyways, I started to get really bad cramps in my feet. Anyone have this problem before? Any suggestions on how to avoid in the future?
2013-01-15 10:16 AM
in reply to: #4579216

SweetClaire - 2013-01-15 10:59 AM I was at my Masters swim group last night and was pushing myself doing 50 m on the 1:10 (this is tough for me although I appreciate it really isn't that fast). Anyways, I started to get really bad cramps in my feet. Anyone have this problem before? Any suggestions on how to avoid in the future?

I've had the same foot cramping in the past, and I assume it's from being too tense in the water, ie. not relaxing enough.  Not sure if that's it, but as I've gotten better in the water, the frequency of foot cramps has decreased, so I just assume that's it.  

Ankle flexibility and keeping your foot flexed for a prolonged period of time might also be causing the cramping.

Hopefully there is someone in our group who has some better ideas on this.

2013-01-15 11:38 AM
in reply to: #4558658

Subject: RE: Eriq's Mentor Group - OPEN

Thanks Eriq. Sorry was away for couple of days (sick) so didn't login here. 

I just checked trainingpeaks site for a training plan for me (sprint - first timer). Can't see a free plan listed. Is there any another recommendation?  I plan to spend 5 days in a week on training (1 hour each) as follows

mon -swim 800-1500  yds easy

Tue - Run (interval or hills) 3-5 miles & strength training (30 min)

Wed-bike easy 15 miles

Thur - Swim 800 -1200 yds drills

fri - run (endurance for 4 -6 miles)

Sat - bike 25 miles

sun -rest

Would like to hear your opinion. Thanks!

2013-01-15 12:36 PM

User image

Foot cramping - is it possible you were dehydrated?  That's the source of a lot of muscle cramping.  I always eat a banana an hour before workouts for that reason. 
2013-01-15 12:37 PM
in reply to: #4579200

User image

Veteran
Inland Empire, CA

Now to answer a bunch of questions. =)

For it being harder on a trainer than outdoors, I guess it all depends on what sort of tension you are applying to your rear wheel. I also find it more challenging because there isn't the stop and go nature of riding outdoors with stop lights and intersections. Also there is no coast down a slope or anything like that. So in general, I say yes it is harder.

Feet cramps while swimming. I'm with Brian that it's usually caused from unnecessary tension in the legs and feet. Could also do with lack of flexibility and conditioning; this is especially true for runners/cyclists who have tight ankles.

Early in my swimming, I used to get foot cramps when pushing hard off the walls. Also I'd focus so much on pointing my toes that my feet would be in that position for so longer and just couldn't handle it. 

But since I've started swimming more, I've become more conditioned to pointing my ankles and I really don't have those issues anymore. One thing you can do is just flex your toes for a few strokes every now and then to give your ankles some time to relax. I've also worked on my ankle flexibility by spending some time just sitting on my ankles. Flatten out the tops of your feet, put your ankles together, and just sit down on them. Pretty simple.

I know BT has a few free training plans that you can browse through to get you to your first sprint. If I remember correctly, your race is coming up in March so you only have a few weeks left. But if your able to do the workouts you listed out, you'll be fine come race day.

One thing I would suggest is turn your Saturday bike into a brick. Even if you run for just 5-15 mins off the bike, it will make a difference.

Also for your Thurs swim, don't do too many drills. Look for my post on swimming for my view on that whole deal.

Hope you're feeling better!

2013-01-15 10:22 PM

10k this evening on my dreadmill.  Other than running outside or getting a better movie, does anybody have any suggestions how to make dreadmill running less boring/more 'interesting'.  At one point last year, I ran 8 miles on my dreadmill, but utter and complete boredom wore me down and I stopped at 8 miles.  I was even watching a good James Bond film, and that couldn't counter the boredom.

There has to be a way to make dreadmill running sessions more palatable.  Any ideas?  

2013-01-15 11:21 PM
in reply to: #4580421

User image

Veteran
Inland Empire, CA

yikes! i think that's my max too on the treadmill, 8 miles. that's a bit over an hour for me. after that, i just cant take it mentally.

only thing i could think of is switch up the speed a bit. the treadmills at my gym have a lap counter thing as if you were on a track, 400m/lap. sometimes i'll run lap 3 a bit quicker, then run lap 4 a little slower just to add some variation but still have the same pace/mile. you could also simulate hills if you wanted.

2013-01-16 8:23 AM

Sorry about not posting. I figured it would send me a email notification if I was accepted. We also have had some crazy weeks going on here. But now to answer your questions. I come from a running and wrestling background. I recently finished a 10k in 20 degree weather at 45 minutes, 1 st in my age group. My runs are usually around 7 to 8 miles in an hour depending on the day and if I jump to zone 4 in the heart rate. Unfortunately I just lost my heart rate strap to my garmin but I will be buying a new one. I don't know how far on the bike yet since the Dakota weather puts me on a trainer. My long rides are peaked at 3 hours right now. In the gym I can get in about 17 to 18 miles in an hour. Then in regards to swimming, I am now down to 65 minutes for a 3000 yard swim. I will met this Friday with a swim coach to work on my kick and high elbow catch. I will get my training log kept up for you, I have been sick so I missed three workouts last week and my new week has been slow. I only lasted 20 minutes on a elliptical yesterday and did Not get in my swim. Today I am going to try and do a 45 minute bike with a 15 minute run. The sickness though is in the lungs so I am coughing quite a bit. My week this week looks like this, W-45 min. Bike with quick change to 15 min. Run, T-3000 yard swim (500 WU, 400 drills, 7x125 @ 20 sec. 7x75@ 10 sec, 400 drills, 300 CD) and a 75 min bike with 5x1 min PU at 15 min., F- 3000 yard swim for time, 1 hour run with 5x1 PU at 45 min., Sat. - 2:30 min bike with QC to 15 min run, Sun. - 30 min bike 100+rpm to 1:00 run. All these are done in heart rate z1 or z2.What do you usually do when you get sick. I just skipped the workouts to let my body rest. I did this since I tend to go and go until my body just makes me stop for longer than I would like. But now I have missed 4 workouts, with two of them being my long bike and run.
2013-01-16 8:27 AM
in reply to: #4580458

One thing that works for me is that I watch reruns of the kona ironman on youtube, ucareospace2012 has a good selection. I watch these because I also get bored running for such a long period of time on the treadmill and it gives me the motivation to keep training even when it sucks. I did find a group at a local bike shop that will ride together on their trainers for their long rides.. The conversation helps it go faster, you may be able to find a running partner.

Edited by BKeller 2013-01-16 8:29 AM
2013-01-16 2:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Inland Empire, CA
One thing that I wanted to write on injury prevention. No matter how much or how hard you train, one of the keys is staying injury-free. For people just starting out, it's easy to get excited with early progress and push a little too much, too hard, too early.

I think this is especially true with running. With all the impact to the body, it's easy to injure ones' self. I speak from experience here. When I started running years ago, I was feeling great. From week to week, I'd increase the mileage of my long run from 5 to 7 to 9 miles. I was feeling great! About 2 months in, I had all sorts of issues... ITB syndrome, shin splints, runners' knee, etc.

So to prevent this from happening to you, just take your time. Build up slowly. Follow the 10% rule: never increase your mileage more than 10% from the week previous. That 10% goes for total weekly mileage and also for your longest run. Pretty simple.

Another way to prevent injury is to strengthen the hips. I'm sure you've all heard the importance of core strength. Many people hear this and just think of your abs and back, but it goes way beyond that. "Core" also includes the lower trunk and the pelvis, so your hip flexors, adductors, abductors, and glutes.

There's a ton of studies that link running related injuries to weak hips. If you do not have strong hips, it can lead to a break down in running form, which can ultimately lead to injury. So how do you strengthen the hips, you ask?! With this simple routine provided below. Throw it in after one of your shorter runs once or twice a week during the early stages of your base training, and you should be good to go for your season. 

Here's some links to the workout. 1-3 sets of 15-30 reps depending on your current fitness. I started this last year and had great success in staying injury free and improving my run.

Edited by eriqpimentel 2013-01-16 8:47 PM

2013-01-16 5:37 PM

User image

New user
Great advice, the links do not work though
2013-01-16 8:48 PM
in reply to: #4581720

User image

Veteran
Inland Empire, CA
sorry about that. links have been updated!
2013-01-16 9:00 PM
in reply to: #4580729

User image

Veteran
Inland Empire, CA

if you want email notifications, just click the link on the bottom right of the thread so you'll get emails whenever someone posts in the thread.

sounds like you've been putting in a lot of work. and I hope you would be since you're planning on doing a full IM this spring, right? seems like your workouts are well thought out. with still a few months to go, i'd add some intensity thoughout the week. and z1 workouts? i'm hoping you meant zone 2 and 3.

as far as working out when sick, i think i've posted about this before. they say if it's from the neck up, you are okay to exercise. just don't push too hard. but if the symptoms are below the neck, like chest congestion or whatever, then definitely rest.

when missing workouts, if it's one or two here and there, i say just skip them. no need to try and cram everything in. if it is a key workout, if your schedule allows, maybe replace a non-key workout. if you miss a whole week, i say adjust your schedule. push everything over that one week if your schedule allows.

2013-01-17 6:35 AM
in reply to: #4581947

Yes, I am planning on a full. Training is still on track. As far as z1, there are some workouts that are there. I am only in that zone if I do not feel right. The other 98% of the time is in z2 at the high end. Thanks for the post on injuries, my knee has been acting up for a little while so I have been using the elliptical a little more to reduce the pounding.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eriq's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 17