BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mcgilmartin's 2013 Mentor Group~ let's get swimming! CLOSED FOR TRAINING Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2013-01-12 11:19 PM
in reply to: #4575690

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Subject: RE: mcgilmartin's 2013 Mentor Group~ let's get swimming! CLOSED FOR TRAINING
smartine - 2013-01-12 10:54 PM

oriolepwr - 2013-01-13 1:44 AM

WEIGHTLOSS:   Lost a bunch of weight in the past  but I do like to drink beer.  maybe too much?  Am food logging EVERY thing I eat and drink in 2013 on  Myfitnesspal.com

STORY:  I could not "DO as I say, not as I do" as a role model.   

Hi Dave

Very nice introduction. Do you use the MyFitnessPal app to track your calories or just the site ? Have you tried other sites/apps? I am currently using an app called Tap&Track but the MyFitnessPal seems to have a more elaborate database. Am willing to give it a shot since it seems to be free.

Quite like your take on parenting as well.

Kind regards

Max

Max

Thank you so much!   

I did try a couple of other food logging sites.  Including BT's  they just did not have the database that Myfitnesspal has.  And that is sooo important.    I wanted to like the BT one I really did.  Just was not as good.

The myfitnesspal app for Iphone works even better than their website does.   They should fix that.   But I use both,  they sync together  so you use both for convenience.   

I actually put together a group on Facebook of 20 of us that are all committed to food logging everything for 2013   we even have a nutritionist on there that answers questions and is food logging along with us.  let me know if you have interest in that. 

2013-01-13 6:42 AM
in reply to: #4573184

User image

Regular
Olney, Maryland
Subject: RE: mcgilmartin's 2013 Mentor Group~ let's get swimming! CLOSED FOR TRAINING

I nearly fell out of my chair laughing at this---thanks for sharing Dave!  I'm forwarding it to my husband who is entirely too serious about his Bikram yoga.  Enjoyed reading your intro---we both share a love for harassing Matt!

I have to confess to the group that my workout goals for the week were completely derailed by work and family this week.  Uggh.  Must do better next week!!!!  This group is keeping me inspired.......

Go Ravens!!!

oriolepwr - 2013-01-10 10:08 PM

Sorry to barge in here and interrupt.   I took a peak at Matt's training log and saw all of the Yoga he has been doing.   OMG Yoga is hard.   Anyhow  thought he might want this bargain found on craigslist

Yoga mat for sale. Used once.

Date: 2011-09-13, 10:32PM

Yoga mat for sale. Used once at lunch hour class in December 2009. Usage timeline as follows:

11:45a
Register for hot yoga class. Infinite wisdom tells me to commit to 5 class package and purchase a yoga mat. I pay $89.74. Money well spent, I smugly confirm to myself.

Ok sorry for the intrusion.    Get back to training...  er  swimming,   carry-on folks!

2013-01-13 8:00 AM
in reply to: #4575708

New user

I'm a big mfp fan as well, helped me keep track of things and shed about 80 lbs.  very comprehensive database and super easy to use.

Did my first run off the bike yesterday and while I'm still trying to get a handle on the concept of basing your exertion on your HR zones, I felt pretty good about it, tried to keep my HR at pretty close to the top of Zone 2 for the duration, but its hard not to bump up the speed/incline on the treadmill when I don't feel like I'm actually working hard  Guess that's a byproduct of running for weightloss/max calorie burn as opposed to endurance?  It doesn't help that its very hard for me to get more than a solid hour for any one workout session (yesterday was nice, my son was having a ball at the kid watch program at the Y so they had him for 90 minutes as opposed to the regular 60 minute max)

Any thoughts on this?  Should I be trying to run slower to keep to Zone 2, or pushing as hard as I can as long as I can?  From what I've been reading online about 80% says keep to Zone 2 if you want to run long, while some says to just push and your body will acclimate?

2013-01-13 8:51 AM
in reply to: #4552506

New user
Singapore
Hi Dave

What's the name of your Facebook food logging group?
2013-01-13 10:04 AM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

Hey All,

Sorry I have been MIA!  I've had the flu, then being a single Dad on weekends leaves me drained (literally no time for anything).  I'll be back in the game this week.  

I'm thrilled to see Oriolepwr join us.  He's not only a great athlete and Fantasy Football Guru, he's also hilarious.  I learned much from his FFB prowess, I'm sure I'll pick up some eating tips too.

PM me if you guys need anything, I send those to my personal e-mail and get right back to them!

Matt

2013-01-13 11:19 AM
in reply to: #4575850

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
jgwinn0 - 2013-01-13 8:00 AM

I'm a big mfp fan as well, helped me keep track of things and shed about 80 lbs.  very comprehensive database and super easy to use.

Yup Logging is being very aware to what you are putting into your body.   It does not mean always have to eat healthy, but does make you think  "is this worth it?"    Or let's try and limit the damage.  

Did my first run off the bike yesterday and while I'm still trying to get a handle on the concept of basing your exertion on your HR zones, I felt pretty good about it, tried to keep my HR at pretty close to the top of Zone 2 for the duration, but its hard not to bump up the speed/incline on the treadmill when I don't feel like I'm actually working hard  Guess that's a byproduct of running for weightloss/max calorie burn as opposed to endurance?  It doesn't help that its very hard for me to get more than a solid hour for any one workout session (yesterday was nice, my son was having a ball at the kid watch program at the Y so they had him for 90 minutes as opposed to the regular 60 minute max)

Any thoughts on this?  Should I be trying to run slower to keep to Zone 2, or pushing as hard as I can as long as I can?  From what I've been reading online about 80% says keep to Zone 2 if you want to run long, while some says to just push and your body will acclimate?

Ok I totally understand where you are coming from on this.   The thing about running/cycling with HR zone training is that most of us do not run/bike easy enough on our easy days,  and then we don't work HARD enough on the hard days.   We will typically like to run/bike in a narrow exertion band. 

The HR monitor  keeps us honest.   And lets face it your body will lie to you.  Tell you  you are superman sometimes,  when you are not.   Then other times it can be a spoiled brat.  "I don't feel like working, and won't do well if you try to push me"  but then after you warm up you have this kick A$$ workout.    The only truth is told by that HR monitor.   It does not lie. 

Problem is, you are spent when its time to really push it, so you can't.  and thus don't get the training benefit from the really hard effort.

Lots of good things happen running easy.  and you are less likely to get injured.   just go easy when running long,  if you want to push it for a mile during your long run, that's fine, but at the end of the run your goal should be that you can train well the NEXT DAY.   So if you work too hard on your run you won't be able to do that.   Really on a long run you are not trying to prove anything.  You are just training your body to burn more fat for fuel so you can run farther and farther.   Just kick back on your run and chill.   Listen to music and relax.    

Every run has a purpose.  most of your running should be really easy zone 1-2  

Some shorter runs should be at Tempo  (Lactate Threshold -30 seconds or so below your 5K speed)  you can lengthen this work out by adding a bit of distance (warm up) before  you hit Tempo, then add a couple of miles after it (cool down)   But the W/U and C/D   should be easy.            

So I dont know how many miles you run per week.  but say a 25 mile example week while base building looks something like this while months away from racing

Monday 3 miler easy

Tuesday 5 miler (1 mile W/U  2.5 miles tempo, 1.5 mile C/D)

Wednesday-cross train

Thursday- 5 miler (1 mile W/U  2.5 miles tempo, 1.5 mile C/D)

Friday- 3 Miler easy

Saturday-Cross train or rest

Sunday- Long run  9 miler  (as easy as possible without falling asleep ha!

After a base is put in for some length of time and race day gets closer, add some speed.  Your body will be better able to deal with it.    So some speed work  put in at an effort above your lactate threshold.  will then improve your ability to run at speed. 

There is a great adage that is tossed around BT  about running.   It's not complicated.   "Run lots,  mostly easy, sometimes hard. "      It's great advice.   use your HR monitor to make sure you do just that.      In a race you need discipline to not light matchsticks before you need them.   build that discipline  now.  

Sorry for being so wordy...

2013-01-13 11:24 AM
in reply to: #4575890

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

smartine - 2013-01-13 8:51 AM Hi Dave

What's the name of your Facebook food logging group?

Here is a link     https://www.facebook.com/groups/foodloggerbloggers/

Youhave to request to join before you can see any of the messages etc.   So if you are so inclined, go ahead and request, I'll approve it.    We can always use another dedicated  Food logger blogger!

Edited by oriolepwr 2013-01-13 11:25 AM
2013-01-13 11:38 AM
in reply to: #4575946

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
mcgilmartin - 2013-01-13 10:04 AM

Hey All,

Sorry I have been MIA!  I've had the flu, then being a single Dad on weekends leaves me drained (literally no time for anything).  I'll be back in the game this week.  

I'm thrilled to see Oriolepwr join us.  He's not only a great athlete and Fantasy Football Guru, he's also hilarious.  I learned much from his FFB prowess, I'm sure I'll pick up some eating tips too.

PM me if you guys need anything, I send those to my personal e-mail and get right back to them!

Matt

Aww  thanks Matt!   :-)     Get better bro!   

2013-01-13 11:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
I just found out the local tri race is going to be 3 weeks before my HIM. This is the first year they are doing an Olympic distance too. Is that too close in time to do both? I would still be in my last week of peak training but not yet in the taper phase.
2013-01-13 11:54 AM
in reply to: #4576057

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

stevesflyshop - 2013-01-13 11:39 AM I just found out the local tri race is going to be 3 weeks before my HIM. This is the first year they are doing an Olympic distance too. Is that too close in time to do both? I would still be in my last week of peak training but not yet in the taper phase.

Steve-  To me I think its perfect timing!   I like to do an oly even up to 2 weeks before.   I'm not a long taper guy.  (wait that sounds so wrong)    So go for it!! 

2013-01-13 7:58 PM
in reply to: #4565050

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Subject: RE: mcgilmartin's 2013 Mentor Group~ let's get swimming! OPEN
mcgilmartin - 2013-01-06 6:48 PM

Current roster.  If I missed you, please let me know.  

NameAgeLocationPrimary GoalOther Information
Matt/mcgilmartin- Mentor!40Chicago, ILMentor all of you, have fun doing it, and keep my own fitness level up!Ask me about yoga and kickboxing
Steve/ Stevesflyshop Nebraska- Near ColoradoRunning man- "A" race is Ironman 70.3 BoulderYear II
Bryan/Katartizo Austin, TXAustin 13.1 in FebuaryYear II
Jen/ Jen Heaslip Western North CarolinaCharlotte 70.3Year II
mmez/ Mariah Germany- military assign.Monster on the bike- wait till she tells you her accomplishments!Year II
Robin/ Robin RN Bethesda, MDMainly running, hopefully a 2013 triathlon tooMarathon Maniac
Kellie/ Kellie 3939Des Moines, IATurning 40, complete a few sprints and an Oly this year 
Mecole (Me)/ Jus_Me DC AreaRecovering from injury, April sprint Tri 
April/ newbie99 Tennessee2 sprints and one Olympic triathlon.Year II
Tom/Touchdown40MichiganWants to become a better swimmer, do a few tri's 
Bryan/blaeiouk45Plano, TXMotivation and accountability (I Love this!) 
Bruce/bwingate45 Injury recovery, wants to become a better swimmer 
Richard/Traveljunkie303 Washington StateRunner, doing a couple tri's this year too 
jgwinn037 Single Dad, needs some motivation and accountability 
Donald/Donor71133Japan3 tri's this year, Ironman 70.3 Japan in 2014 
Darcie/pixiedustlady North CarolinaBecome an effective, confident swimmer, maybe Charlotte 70.3 
Melinda/melindacumming Washington State Year II

Robin!  what's your Maniac #?     I'm #3186!! 

2013-01-13 8:56 PM
in reply to: #4573362

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
bwingate - 2013-01-11 3:58 AM

I am still struggling to get training time.  I used to run in the morning and everything was great.  I could get in an hour run, shower and get to work in plenty of time.  I have been out on my own as an attorney for a year and my day starts earlier so its tougher to run in the morning and at night I am often wiped out when I get home (plus SWMBO deserves some attention too).  I think I'm going to have to force myself to get up early (EARLY - like 4:30) to get in the run.  And Monday night its back to the pool.

Wish me luck.

Those 4:30 wake-ups should only be done 2-3 times a week or you're going to burn out.  What's your significant others thought on joining you in S/B/R after work hours?

2013-01-13 9:02 PM

I've been out of training on a family vacation to Singapore this past week.  Max, I don't know how anyone living in Singapore can stay in shape with all that good food going around!  Heading back to the pool this afternoon.

Going back to the discussion on kicking technique, I've been watching the Total Immersion swim videos and trying to mimic the technique taught on those.  They talk very highly of the two beat kick for triathletes and long distance swimmers as opposed to the flutter kick.  Does anyone have any thoughts/experience with this? 

Donald

2013-01-13 9:06 PM
in reply to: #4576628

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

Updated list... sorry, working off several different devices and the SS is at home.  If you have to update/add/modify/delete, feel free.

Matt/mcgilmartin- Mentor!40Chicago, ILMentor all of you, have fun doing it, and keep my own fitness level up!Ask me about yoga and kickboxing
Steve/ Stevesflyshop Nebraska- Near ColoradoRunning man- "A" race is Ironman 70.3 BoulderYear II
mmez/ Mariah Germany- military assign.Monster on the bike- wait till she tells you her accomplishments!Year II
Robin/ Robin RN Bethesda, MDMainly running, hopefully a 2013 triathlon tooMarathon Maniac
Kellie/ Kellie 3939Des Moines, IATurning 40, complete a few sprints and an Oly this year 
Mecole (Me)/ Jus_Me DC AreaRecovering from injury, April sprint Tri 
Bryan/blaeiouk45Plano, TXMotivation and accountability (I Love this!) 
Richard/Traveljunkie303 Washington StateRunner, doing a couple tri's this year too 
Darcie/pixiedustlady North CarolinaBecome an effective, confident swimmer, maybe Charlotte 70.3 

Smartine/MaxSingapore

Dave/OriolepwrChicago burbsSomewhat co-mentor, supply barbs about Matt, Fantasy FB advice

2013-01-13 9:11 PM
in reply to: #4576700

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
DONOR711 - 2013-01-13 8:02 PM

I've been out of training on a family vacation to Singapore this past week.  Max, I don't know how anyone living in Singapore can stay in shape with all that good food going around!  Heading back to the pool this afternoon.

Going back to the discussion on kicking technique, I've been watching the Total Immersion swim videos and trying to mimic the technique taught on those.  They talk very highly of the two beat kick for triathletes and long distance swimmers as opposed to the flutter kick.  Does anyone have any thoughts/experience with this? 

Donald

Donald,

I would agree in general that a simple 2-beat kick is probably going to serve you better in a tri, especially if you are a less experienced swimmer.  Logic being obvious- you save your legs for the bike and run.  However.... I have personally found that I have had much stronger races by using a full-on swimmers kick during my tri's.  I find that my circulation gets going, and the lack of impact (not to mention the horizontal position in the water) results in better blood flow.  

What's your experience swimming?  I think I recall you saying you're a stronger runner?

2013-01-13 9:14 PM
in reply to: #4576057

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

stevesflyshop - 2013-01-13 10:39 AM I just found out the local tri race is going to be 3 weeks before my HIM. This is the first year they are doing an Olympic distance too. Is that too close in time to do both? I would still be in my last week of peak training but not yet in the taper phase.

Agreed with Dave, Steve.  It's 3 weeks out, that's a perfect time for a dress rehearsal.  2 weeks taper will be plenty.  Get out there and kill it!

2013-01-13 9:42 PM

Matt, thanks for the advice.  I'll try to practice the flutter kick a little more.  Do you have any suggestions for freestyle breathing drills?  I occasionally need to push down in the water in order to get my head high enough to get a breath.  This disrupts my flow and slows me down because of the drag. 

My swim is my weakest sport.  I've done a few survival swimming classes, but never got instuction on proper freestyle technique.  That's why I went to the TI videos.  My thought process right now is that if I continue to swim several times a week, then eventually I'll get to the point where I can swim 500m non-stop and do it in a reasonable time.  My lack of percieved progress over the past few months is what drove me to join this mentor group.

2013-01-13 10:30 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

Donald,

It's hard to describe in words how to swim, so I'll find you a video.  One thing I always mention to new swimmers regarding breath- you only need to turn your head enough to get your mouth out of the water.  This should be about a 30% head roll.  I see a lot of people go a full 90 degrees- that's a waste of energy.  Also, forget the whole bilateral breathing technique for now.  Is is easier for you to breathe left or right?  For starting out (and this is the only time I will recommend this) take a breath to your preferred side every stroke.  You will find that the repetition makes the movement easier to execute.

Let me find a good video to share with everyone.

Matt

2013-01-13 10:34 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

Here's the site I love- worth a download for everyone for sure.  

http://www.swimsmooth.com/

My 2nd year members should have this already.  Right?

2013-01-14 4:27 AM
in reply to: #4576628

User image

Regular
Olney, Maryland
oriolepwr - 2013-01-13 8:58 PM
mcgilmartin - 2013-01-06 6:48 PM

Current roster.  If I missed you, please let me know.  

Mecole (Me)/ Jus_Me DC AreaRecovering from injury, April sprint Tri 
Bryan/blaeiouk45Plano, TXMotivation and accountability (I Love this!) 

Robin!  what's your Maniac #?     I'm #3186!! 

#6243---squeaked in by the skin of my teeth this past fall (bronze level). 

2013-01-14 5:39 AM
in reply to: #4576743

Extreme Veteran
DONOR711 - 2013-01-13 10:42 PM

Matt, thanks for the advice.  I'll try to practice the flutter kick a little more.  Do you have any suggestions for freestyle breathing drills?  I occasionally need to push down in the water in order to get my head high enough to get a breath.  This disrupts my flow and slows me down because of the drag. 

My swim is my weakest sport.  I've done a few survival swimming classes, but never got instuction on proper freestyle technique.  That's why I went to the TI videos.  My thought process right now is that if I continue to swim several times a week, then eventually I'll get to the point where I can swim 500m non-stop and do it in a reasonable time.  My lack of percieved progress over the past few months is what drove me to join this mentor group.

Do a search for "0 to One Mile" swim workouts.  There are a few of them around but they all work up to getting you to swim a continuous mile in six to eight weeks. 

One thing about "just swimming more" - some people say that you will naturally get a better technique others that swimming badly a lot will just make you a better bad swimmer.  When I was really ramping up my swimming a couple of years ago, I did not take lessons or do drills, but paid attention to the TI "form".  It wasn't perfect, but it also didn't make swimming feel like work.

Bilateral breathing:  Doesn't matter in the pool, but if you are in the ocean or a choppy lake, its nice to be able to comfortably breathe to the side that does not have waves hitting you in the face.

2013-01-14 6:00 AM
in reply to: #4576694

Extreme Veteran
mcgilmartin - 2013-01-13 9:56 PM

I am still struggling to get training time.  I used to run in the morning and everything was great.  I could get in an hour run, shower and get to work in plenty of time.  I have been out on my own as an attorney for a year and my day starts earlier so its tougher to run in the morning and at night I am often wiped out when I get home (plus SWMBO deserves some attention too).  I think I'm going to have to force myself to get up early (EARLY - like 4:30) to get in the run.  And Monday night its back to the pool.

Wish me luck.

Those 4:30 wake-ups should only be done 2-3 times a week or you're going to burn out.  What's your significant others thought on joining you in S/B/R after work hours?

I am normally up at around 5 and out of bed at 5:30, so the early morning runs should not be that bad.  I really don't stay up much after 10 pm anyway so I am normally ok with sleep - except when insomnia hits.  Evening workouts are possible, but the real problem for me is that I am usually exhausted at the end of the day and will find any excuse not to workout and that's also usually the best time to relax, unwind and spend time with the wife.

That being said - tonight I'm going to force myself to go to the gym, get into the pool and swim at least 1000 yds.  My goal for this month is 10,000 yards - only 10,000 yards left to go!

2013-01-14 3:38 PM
in reply to: #4576900

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
bwingate - 2013-01-14 5:00 AM
mcgilmartin - 2013-01-13 9:56 PM

Wish me luck.

I am normally up at around 5 and out of bed at 5:30, so the early morning runs should not be that bad.  I really don't stay up much after 10 pm anyway so I am normally ok with sleep - except when insomnia hits.  Evening workouts are possible, but the real problem for me is that I am usually exhausted at the end of the day and will find any excuse not to workout and that's also usually the best time to relax, unwind and spend time with the wife.

That being said - tonight I'm going to force myself to go to the gym, get into the pool and swim at least 1000 yds.  My goal for this month is 10,000 yards - only 10,000 yards left to go!

I'm holding you to this, Bruce.

2013-01-14 3:40 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

Hey All,

I'm thinking of posting a weekly beginner swim workout for you each Monday.  If you could let me know if that's something you want, or if you'd prefer something else weekly, let me know.  This group is here for your benefit (and my enjoyment), so it pays for you to tell me what you are looking for.

2013-01-14 4:52 PM
in reply to: #4578138

Matt that would work for me.   

Now that I am not heading to the superbowl I am going to start looking for a bike and an indoor trainer.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mcgilmartin's 2013 Mentor Group~ let's get swimming! CLOSED FOR TRAINING Rss Feed  

of 23