BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2013-01-22 5:17 PM
in reply to: #4581852

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!
Dana_Scully - 2013-01-16 7:37 PM

Well...I almost didn't make it today.  I'm approaching the last 24 hours of what will be a 96 hour stretch of not interacting with the outside world (National Science Foundation proposals are due this week).  I was up at 4 a.m., but not to work out.  When I go that long without people, the gym is like culture shock, and I whined all the way there.  Today the ladies locker room was filled with 6 to 8 year olds getting ready for swim team practice.  I nearly died laughing when this tiny girl came out of the restroom stall, turned to her friend, and said, "I peed through my bathing suit," and then stormed out to get in the pool.

I opted for the treadmill over a swim workout.

*Laughs and laughs and laughs*

Oh MAN do I feel your pain, Scully! Grant proposal season sucketh, verily. Hang in there, hon-- you're almost there! *cheers you on and waves pompoms*

Alex

**Edited to add: Just finished reading the forum entries-- I'm SO sorry about the horrible week and your job! Huge hugs from here, and lots of cheering you on with your next steps...**

Edited by wrkinprogress 2013-01-22 5:22 PM

2013-01-22 6:59 PM
in reply to: #4553673

Spring/Woodlands Area

If you need to ride/run/whatever with a Ninja mask, I will concede you are more hard core than I am!  

Nice job getting out there in the cold.  

2013-01-22 7:19 PM
in reply to: #4590166

User image

Veteran
Austin

I'm back!  I have to confess that I finally burned out.  I was having some trouble with burnout going into my race a week ago, but after a bad race it just got worse.  In the darker moments I had these brief flashes of walking away from tri stuff for a long time.  I took some time off and now I feel great.  I think a lot of my burnout had to do with the fact I was mostly just running over the past two months (and doing lots of it and not enjoying it) and not cross training.  I don't think I'm meant to be a single-sport athlete.  It felt so fun to be back doing all three sports again and I think the break (physically and mentally) did me a world of good.

I just finished checking up on the forum, and wow, you guys are doing some great training and looks like some fun racing planned!  Next up for me is to finally write my race report and check in on everyone's logs.  Hopefully tomorrow!  

2013-01-22 8:19 PM
in reply to: #4590026

User image

Expert
Falls Church
wrkinprogress - 2013-01-22 5:08 PM
hoffsquared - 2013-01-22 9:57 AM

So I had a very chilly commute this morning but was pretty toasty.  I have figured out all the right layering so I am not too cold but not too hot.  This is a terrific thing.  Too cold is a bummer but too hot can be just as bad.  Being too hot leads to too much sweating that leaves me chilled when I get to a certain part of the commuter where there are lots of stops and starts.

I wore my new full face balaclava.  Feel like a ninja rider.

Grin-- I have one of these, too! Ninja Beasts, unite!

Heehee. Ninja Beasts. I like it!
2013-01-22 9:25 PM

atlanta
Hope everyones week is going good. My apologies for just learning to correctly respond to the inspires (thanks Hilde). I need help with swimming big time. I use a pull/kick buoy but when I freestyle it feels like a have on ankle weights and my lower body sinks. I have been working on head position, breathing out quicker, not using legs... I get minimal results. I wonder if I could sneak a flotation device in my Tri suit for my first race.
2013-01-22 10:13 PM

User image

New user

Chicago
Good evening folks, sorry for slacking. I went out deer hunting last weekend and managed to fill the freezer with a very nice sized doe. (I eat what I hunt). I got back with the program today ran 4.5 miles and then swam 1000m. I felt great! Lots of energy with today's workout. My swimming is getting stronger so I'm pretty happy about that. Ill start speed work in a couple of weeks after I get my base distance up a bit. Thanks for all the inspiration it's really helping to keep me motivated.

2013-01-23 6:07 AM
in reply to: #4590445

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Ah yes, swimming woes.... my best advice is to get a coach or join a Master's team and get coaching.  Coming from a swim background, I feel for you guys that are just starting out.  To get your legs UP, push your head DOWN and when you breathe only turn your head enough to grab a breath, one goggle should always be in the water. 

Had a very successful trip to Dallas yesterday to Advanced Arm Dynamics.... LONG day, got up for a 5:30 a.m. swim, we left home at 8:30 a.m. and didn't get home till almost 7.  Over a 2 hour drive, had a crappy lunch, like REALLY crappy, and then spent 3.5 hours with the prosthetics consultation.  Reade does want to go with them, and time is of the essence, so looks like he will be going up to get his hand in a week or two.  They want him to come up for 5 days, they'll do a cast of the nub arm on Monday, he'll walk out either with a prototype prosthetic arm to allow for shrinkage temporarily, or the permanent arm on Friday.  In between they'll be doing more castings, training and practice on using the iLimb hand, fittings, building the socket, etc.  Very positive visit and they were VERY well informed and ONLY work with upper limb patients which are about 1/30 arm/hands vs leg amputations.  So now we have to get a statement from the insurance company to see exactly what we've paid for, pick up everything that we've paid for from the current prosthetics place and move on.  But it's good to be feeling proactive again and have a company that wants to work WITH the patient instead of expecting him to just take what they give him.  This is the first place we visited that asked Ron and I how WE were dealing with all of this.  It was nice....

We left there at 4:30 and got through Dallas traffic and it was good to get back home.  But man I am tired today, not looking forward to teaching AT ALL. 

2013-01-23 7:48 AM
in reply to: #4590582

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Hildebeast - 2013-01-23 6:07 AM

Ah yes, swimming woes.... my best advice is to get a coach or join a Master's team and get coaching.  Coming from a swim background, I feel for you guys that are just starting out.  To get your legs UP, push your head DOWN and when you breathe only turn your head enough to grab a breath, one goggle should always be in the water. 

Had a very successful trip to Dallas yesterday to Advanced Arm Dynamics.... LONG day, got up for a 5:30 a.m. swim, we left home at 8:30 a.m. and didn't get home till almost 7.  Over a 2 hour drive, had a crappy lunch, like REALLY crappy, and then spent 3.5 hours with the prosthetics consultation.  Reade does want to go with them, and time is of the essence, so looks like he will be going up to get his hand in a week or two.  They want him to come up for 5 days, they'll do a cast of the nub arm on Monday, he'll walk out either with a prototype prosthetic arm to allow for shrinkage temporarily, or the permanent arm on Friday.  In between they'll be doing more castings, training and practice on using the iLimb hand, fittings, building the socket, etc.  Very positive visit and they were VERY well informed and ONLY work with upper limb patients which are about 1/30 arm/hands vs leg amputations.  So now we have to get a statement from the insurance company to see exactly what we've paid for, pick up everything that we've paid for from the current prosthetics place and move on.  But it's good to be feeling proactive again and have a company that wants to work WITH the patient instead of expecting him to just take what they give him.  This is the first place we visited that asked Ron and I how WE were dealing with all of this.  It was nice....

We left there at 4:30 and got through Dallas traffic and it was good to get back home.  But man I am tired today, not looking forward to teaching AT ALL. 

Glad to hear things are progressing.

Edited by hoffsquared 2013-01-23 7:56 AM
2013-01-23 3:50 PM
in reply to: #4590203

User image

Expert
lounav - 2013-01-22 7:19 PM

I'm back!  I have to confess that I finally burned out.  I was having some trouble with burnout going into my race a week ago, but after a bad race it just got worse.  In the darker moments I had these brief flashes of walking away from tri stuff for a long time.  I took some time off and now I feel great.  I think a lot of my burnout had to do with the fact I was mostly just running over the past two months (and doing lots of it and not enjoying it) and not cross training.  I don't think I'm meant to be a single-sport athlete.  It felt so fun to be back doing all three sports again and I think the break (physically and mentally) did me a world of good.

I just finished checking up on the forum, and wow, you guys are doing some great training and looks like some fun racing planned!  Next up for me is to finally write my race report and check in on everyone's logs.  Hopefully tomorrow!  

Hurray! Congrats on your triumph over burnout, and welcome back to the multisport madness!

2013-01-23 3:53 PM
in reply to: #4590582

User image

Expert
Hildebeast - 2013-01-23 6:07 AM

Wow-- I'm so pleased that the visit went so well for all of you, though I'm sorry that the trip there and back was so awful. Rest up, and congratulations to Reade at his progress!

2013-01-23 6:20 PM
in reply to: #4588151

User image

Middle Tennessee

Hildebeast - 2013-01-21 2:27 PM So today is a holiday, no school, and I'm not feeling motivated... was going to swim, but sleeping in seemed like a better idea.  Was about to change and go run and daughter called with an invitation to go out to lunch, seemed like a better idea.... could change and go for a bike, but reading a book seems like a better idea, haha!  Even mentors deal with this crap, sigh....

Everyone needs a day off every now and then! Sounds like a good "lazy" day to me!

2013-01-23 6:23 PM
in reply to: #4590397

Spring/Woodlands Area
I had the same problem with the pull (pool? whatever?) buoy last year.  I ended up not using one and just letting my legs float during sets I was supposed to use one.  Some people say that's good because you aren't relying on the buoy, but I'm not a swim person so I don't know.  What I do know is that using one put extra stress on my shoulders and lower back that would quickly lead to problems. I skip the kickboard for the same reason BUT I've got a history of impingement in my shoulders, so I'm overly cautious.
2013-01-23 6:24 PM
in reply to: #4589159

User image

Middle Tennessee
hoffsquared - 2013-01-22 9:57 AM

So I had a very chilly commute this morning but was pretty toasty.  I have figured out all the right layering so I am not too cold but not too hot.  This is a terrific thing.  Too cold is a bummer but too hot can be just as bad.  Being too hot leads to too much sweating that leaves me chilled when I get to a certain part of the commuter where there are lots of stops and starts.

I wore my new full face balaclava.  Feel like a ninja rider.

NINJA BEASTIES UNITE!! Way to persevere in ANY weather! I've been wearing my balaclava for early morning runs for the past week!

2013-01-23 6:54 PM
in reply to: #4590203

User image

Middle Tennessee

Welcome back to the Beasties and to multisport!

2013-01-23 7:16 PM

User image

Middle Tennessee
2013-01-23 7:22 PM

User image

Middle Tennessee
OOPS! Sorry gang. I'm too much of a computer Neanderthal to figure out how to insert an image without a URL and write a post on the same page! That logo is from an actual photo of my sweet dog, Shadow. We lost her to cancer in November of last year. She LOVED a frisbee and would swim until she couldn't move as long as I would throw it for her. My partner's sister did the drawing for me. It was one of the best gifts ever and is the logo for my racing team of one (me). I am dedicating Ironman Louisville to the memory of her glorious life. Thanks for letting me share it here. In other news, I got in a great 2000 yard swim this morning. My coach wants to focus on building power and correcting some flaws in my stroke. In her lexicon, that means shorter, more intense workouts. WHEWIE! Tomorrow morning is another early morning run,probably a 4 miler. Happy Training Everyone!!

2013-01-24 4:55 AM
in reply to: #4591892

User image

Expert
Falls Church
shadow67 - 2013-01-23 6:54 PM

Welcome back to the Beasties and to multisport!

X2 on this.
2013-01-24 4:57 AM
in reply to: #4591919

User image

Expert
Falls Church
shadow67 - 2013-01-23 7:22 PMOOPS! Sorry gang. I'm too much of a computer Neanderthal to figure out how to insert an image without a URL and write a post on the same page! That logo is from an actual photo of my sweet dog, Shadow. We lost her to cancer in November of last year. She LOVED a frisbee and would swim until she couldn't move as long as I would throw it for her. My partner's sister did the drawing for me. It was one of the best gifts ever and is the logo for my racing team of one (me). I am dedicating Ironman Louisville to the memory of her glorious life. Thanks for letting me share it here. In other news, I got in a great 2000 yard swim this morning. My coach wants to focus on building power and correcting some flaws in my stroke. In her lexicon, that means shorter, more intense workouts. WHEWIE! Tomorrow morning is another early morning run,probably a 4 miler. Happy Training Everyone!!
Very nice drawing. And you even have your own logo. When is IM Louisville? Will you get a special t-shirt done with the logo. That would be neat.
2013-01-24 4:58 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Snow here today. Not much but just enough to cancel and thoughts of bike commuting and running outside. I will have to settle for a treadmill session later today.
2013-01-24 6:16 AM
in reply to: #4591912

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
shadow67 - 2013-01-23 7:16 PM

Shad, I'm glad you posted this, I saw you changed your avatar but I couldn't read what it said!  It WOULD look great on a Tshirt!    Shadow must have been a really special dog... all dogs are wonderful, but then there are those extra special ones that steal our hearts...

2013-01-24 6:19 AM
in reply to: #4591919

Spring/Woodlands Area

2013-01-24 6:43 AM
in reply to: #4592294

User image

Middle Tennessee

hoffsquared - 2013-01-24 4:58 AM Snow here today. Not much but just enough to cancel and thoughts of bike commuting and running outside. I will have to settle for a treadmill session later today.

IM Louisville is on August 25 Melanie. I am looking at t-shirts and possibly a cycling jersey with my logo on it. We may get some snow and freezing rain here tomorrow. Have fun on the treadmill,if that's possible.

2013-01-24 6:55 AM

User image

Middle Tennessee

http://cyclemeter.com/5a5edcc2612ed9cd/Run-20130124-0457?r=e 

Good Morning Beasties!! Here's a  link to this morning's run. I'm really grooving on the Cyclemeter app for running and cycling. It gives my all the info I'll ever need and the GPS is superior to anything RunKeeper or MapMyFitness use. Never loses signal. Happy Training Everyone!!

2013-01-24 7:00 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Apparently I am breaking the law in VA when I'm wearing my Ninja Biker Beastie outfit.  Technically, I could be charged with a Class 6 felony.  Here's the link.  
2013-01-24 7:03 AM
in reply to: #4592357

User image

Expert
Falls Church
shadow67 - 2013-01-24 6:55 AM

http://cyclemeter.com/5a5edcc2612ed9cd/Run-20130124-0457?r=e 

Good Morning Beasties!! Here's a  link to this morning's run. I'm really grooving on the Cyclemeter app for running and cycling. It gives my all the info I'll ever need and the GPS is superior to anything RunKeeper or MapMyFitness use. Never loses signal. Happy Training Everyone!!

Very cool.  Is this an app you are using on your iPhone?  There are some many useful things available.  I must consider getting one.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 17