BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Iron Aardvark group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2013-03-01 1:03 AM
in reply to: #4641366

User image

Co Louth, Ireland
Subject: RE: Iron Aardvark group - Closed

discipleguideservice - 2013-03-01 3:39 AM Did anyone watch the video? I try to show you all a little of my sense of humor and you guys all just leave me hanging? What the heck

quality - reminds me of my last olympic!!

2013-03-01 10:27 AM
in reply to: #4641366

User image

Extreme Veteran

I saw that one before, but laughed again this time.

Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2013-03-01 10:27 AM
2013-03-01 11:15 AM
in reply to: #4642002

User image

People paddle your through the races!?! Ironmans must be brutal then. I bet it's really hard to get paddled on the bike. At least while running I can duck and weave.

That led me to look at tri bloopers on youtube and it reminded me of all the potential hazards I can perform for everyone. Tripping on nothing, swimming the wrong way, falling at the finish line, taking off too much clothing at transition etc... my fear level has sky rocketed. All this potential to hurt myself has been realized.

But you only live once right?

2013-03-01 11:25 AM
in reply to: #4559726

My anxiety went up after watching that video but didn't want to sound like a wus. Funny vid though. I'll make sure to stay clear for my first tri.
2013-03-01 5:38 PM

I was praying I wouldn't hurt anything but I am now suffering from a slight case of shin splints. One week before my first sprint. What should I do? Will compression sleeves help? Just curious if anyone else suffered from them before.
2013-03-01 7:08 PM

User image

I suffer from shin splints big time (have for 10+ years) - mine isn't caused by the usual stuff though, so I've been working with a PT for several months now to hopefully "fix" them.

Mainly, RICE. Yes, compression sleeves/socks will help, I always run with the sleeves or socks myself.

Depending on the severity, with a week out from your race I'd probably just not run until the race. Running between now and then will only aggravate them further and do more harm than good at this point.

2013-03-01 7:26 PM

User image

Just finished my 4 the week of my half ironman training and had to bust out an icy/hot patch for my lower back. Honestly I'm surprised it took me this long, Lol!!I think its these 2 hour bike rides on the trainer that's jacking up my lower back. Probably need to pay better attention to my posture while on the bike. Can't wait till the weather clears and I can get outside!!
2013-03-01 7:34 PM

User image

Just watched that video, pretty funny. I kinda felt like that the other day in the pool. I had a guy on both side of my lane who kept whacking me each time I passed em!!
2013-03-01 8:21 PM
in reply to: #4642875

User image

Sunkissed7 - 2013-03-01 8:08 PM I suffer from shin splints big time (have for 10+ years) - mine isn't caused by the usual stuff though, so I've been working with a PT for several months now to hopefully "fix" them. Mainly, RICE. Yes, compression sleeves/socks will help, I always run with the sleeves or socks myself. Depending on the severity, with a week out from your race I'd probably just not run until the race. Running between now and then will only aggravate them further and do more harm than good at this point.

As a PT (Physical Therapist not a personal trainer just to clarify), she speaks the truth. Take a break, give them some rest and wean yourself back into running after the race. If your shin splints flare up, lower the intensity until they recover. Otherwise RICE. Helps most things.

2013-03-01 8:37 PM

Ok. Thanks for the advice. I planned on slowing my training down this week anyway. Can anyone recommend a plan for my last week? I know I should rest from running but what would you do otherwise? Will biking worsen my shin splints?
2013-03-02 5:45 AM
in reply to: #4642942

User image

Sal Hontiveros - 2013-03-01 9:37 PM Ok. Thanks for the advice. I planned on slowing my training down this week anyway. Can anyone recommend a plan for my last week? I know I should rest from running but what would you do otherwise? Will biking worsen my shin splints?

If you use clips or a cage it might. Do a medium ride and find out. Swimming shouldn't. What generally flares up shin splints is when you have to do a controlled lower of your ankle against significant weight. When you run and your heel hits the ground, the front of your foot is lowered and that is where the problem starts. When your return from running it might be worth trying to change your running style to a trying to land with your foot flat instead of on your heel to prevent some of it returning.

How's your shoes? Have you gotten new ones recently?

Edited by PoleyPower 2013-03-02 5:45 AM

2013-03-02 8:10 AM
in reply to: #4643165

I bought new ones almost 2 months ago. I haven't felt comfortable in them though. The other day when I hurt myself, I tried running with my heel hitting the ground first which I now believe is the reason they are hurting. After reading your reason for shin splints, I remember doing that on a certain part of the run. Was trying something new. I don't usually run with my heel hitting the ground first. Oh well, I plan to get fitted for some new shoes today. I also plan to purchase some compression sleeves. Does anyone know if wearing compressions sleeves during the swim is legal?
2013-03-02 10:44 PM
in reply to: #4643257

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
Sal Hontiveros - 2013-03-02 8:10 AMI bought new ones almost 2 months ago. I haven't felt comfortable in them though. The other day when I hurt myself, I tried running with my heel hitting the ground first which I now believe is the reason they are hurting. After reading your reason for shin splints, I remember doing that on a certain part of the run. Was trying something new. I don't usually run with my heel hitting the ground first. Oh well, I plan to get fitted for some new shoes today. I also plan to purchase some compression sleeves. Does anyone know if wearing compressions sleeves during the swim is legal?
Depends on what race, but USAT does not allow compression sleeves during the swim. Maybe I missed something here, but why would you want to wear them during the swim?
2013-03-02 11:36 PM

I thought it would be easier to wear under my wetsuit allowing for a faster transition.
2013-03-03 8:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Josh, I don't believe you are correct.  They are illegal during Non-Wetsuit swims, but are allow if Wetsuits are allowed.   This is from Ironman's website, which is USAT compliant. 

In non-wetsuit swims, am I allowed to wear my compression gear?

No. Compression wear is considered illegal equipment in non-wetsuit swims. This includes compression sleeves, compression socks, or compression tights. Any compression wear that extends past the shoulder or knees will not be permitted in non-wetsuit swims.

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/ironman-70.3/racine/athletes/faqs.aspx#ixzz2MUC0mIxB

Sal, if you look at the training plans here on BT, you can chose to view the plans and will be able to see the last week schedule for every plan on BT and can go from there.

Also Sal, I'm by no means implying that your not having shin splints, but just wanted to let you know that some people (like me) become acutely aware of everything a week or so out from a race.  Hell, I had 1 time that my ankle started hurting really bad 2 days out and almost backed out of a race the day before.  My wife told me not to and said that I would be fine, and was just thinking about it to much, which was likely making it worse.  I showed up and never felt anything in my ankle the day of the race, during the race, or after the race (marathon).  Like I said earlier, I'm sure you have shin splits just pointing out that some times the situation and our body condition seems worse than it really is due to the pending race.   

Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2013-03-03 8:28 AM
2013-03-03 1:47 PM

I plan on running regardless of the shin splints or not. I just won't be able to run as fast as I would like to. Thanks for the advice though. It actually felt ok today but a little tender. I have been practicing my transitions and I believe I am doing pretty good. I've learned to put my already clipped in shoes on without accident. I plan to keep practicing everyday up until the race. I plan to go sockless for the bike but will put socks on for the run.

2013-03-03 4:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
Sorry guys, I stand corrected. I'm just used to non wetsuit swims here in the summer, and I remembered hearing several times at races last summer that there were no compression sleeves allowed, but those were non wetsuit races. I wear cool sleeves when ever it is hot, and they are time consuming to put on when your arms are wet that's for sure.
2013-03-03 7:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Forgot to mention that I had a first last month that I'm proud of.  I had a Peachy Month to take Abbie's phrase.  I completed a workout every day in February.Smile  I have never done this before and have made an effort in past challenges to do so, but failed. 

2013-03-04 1:24 AM
in reply to: #4644710

User image

Co Louth, Ireland
Hunting Triathlete - 2013-03-04 1:48 AM

Forgot to mention that I had a first last month that I'm proud of.  I had a Peachy Month to take Abbie's phrase.  I completed a workout every day in February.Smile  I have never done this before and have made an effort in past challenges to do so, but failed. 

Great achievement - well done!!

2013-03-04 3:40 PM
in reply to: #4644710

User image

Hunting Triathlete - 2013-03-03 8:48 PM

Nice Dude!

2013-03-04 8:13 PM

I swam open water with the wetsuit for the first time today. What a big difference. I'm actually nervous now. It is a good thing I've been swimming mile distances lately because my problem today was sighting and veering to the left. Because I tend to veer to the left, it will probably add more distance for me. I plan to work in the pool tomorrow closing my eyes. Need to get my swim straight.

2013-03-04 9:55 PM
in reply to: #4646436

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
Sal Hontiveros - 2013-03-04 8:13 PMI swam open water with the wetsuit for the first time today. What a big difference. I'm actually nervous now. It is a good thing I've been swimming mile distances lately because my problem today was sighting and veering to the left. Because I tend to veer to the left, it will probably add more distance for me. I plan to work in the pool tomorrow closing my eyes. Need to get my swim straight.
Wetsuit swims should get more comfortable over time, and they will be much faster than swims without. Practice sighting about every 3-4 breaths, that will help keep you going straight.
2013-03-05 9:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Josh, here's another bike question.  I am extremely happy with my new bike but have noticed a pattern.  My cadence on this bike is 75 - 80, while my last bike was 60-65.  I say that to say that my average speed is basically the same between my road bike and this bike. The question, I have a compact crank on my road bike and need to know if that's the problem with my tri bike (2 ring not compact - can not give more info at this time), should I switch cranks or why is this happening.  I do feel fresher off this bike, but think that I'm loosing speed somewhere in this equation.  Thanks as always 

Edit:  Josh after posting this I thought about it and maybe I just need to go a gear up, which would put me around 63 and likely a better workout to build up muscles.

Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2013-03-05 6:36 PM
2013-03-05 4:26 PM

User image

I was just starting to look for wetsuits. Does anyone have recommendations about brand or where to get a good price??
2013-03-05 4:34 PM
in reply to: #4647680

reverend5150 - 2013-03-05 4:26 PMI was just starting to look for wetsuits. Does anyone have recommendations about brand or where to get a good price??
I bought an Xterra sleeveless with discount code "C-NSTC" for $120.Regular price $300
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Iron Aardvark group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 16