BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society 2 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 70

2013-05-15 2:57 PM
in reply to: #4726389

User image

New user
Holliston
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society 2 - Open

Ok, if the group is still open, I would love to join.  Cool

NAME: George

STORY: Last year, I reached 239 pounds in June, was bursting the seams of my size 38 pants, and was in the worst shape of my life.  I was tired of not being able to keep up with my kids and was determined to not buy new pants with a size that started with a "4".  I knew I needed to find a way of becoming healthier and happier, while not ignoring the fact that I have bad knees - my left knee has been operated on 5 times (2 scopes and 3 reconstructions) and my right knee once (1 reconstruction).  So, I started bike riding with my neighbor (who competes in Iron Man events) with the goal of dropping the weight and getting in shape.  I made good progress over the summer - weight was coming down, pant size getting smaller, and overall fitness getting stronger and stronger.  

As the Fall went by, my neighbor suggested I try to do a Sprint come the Spring.  With the weight loss + some help from my physical therapist I was able to run without pain for the first time in years.  Next I started swimming. By April I had dropped 40 pounds, reduced my pant size to 34 or 36 depending on the pants, and signed up for not one, but two races in June (Holliston and Ashland).   

FAMILY STATUS: I have been happily married to my wife Randi for the past 12 years and we have two great boys - ages 11 and 9

CURRENT TRAINING: I have been swimming, biking and running for the past 5+ months.  I tend to bike 3-4x times a week while swimming 2-3x a week, and running 2x a week.  Recently, I have had to scale back my training a bit (especially running) as I have re-injured my left knee (it needs to be scoped again).     

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I haven't raced yet.

2013 RACES:  Holliston - Sprint,  Ashland - Sprint.  After that, I'll see how my knee is doing and determine next steps.  I would love to try and complete an Olympic distance by the Fall, but that might be too much until after I have surgery.

BEER PREFERENCE: I will drink just about anything but my favorite styles are IPA's, Ales, Weiss, and Stout's.  My favorite beers include the following:  

Russian River:  Pliny the Elder, Supplication, and Pliny the Younger

Stone Brewing: Ruination,  Arrogant Bastard

Maine Brewing Company:  Zoe, Lunch

New Belgium Brewing:  Fat Tire 

Dogfish Head:   Brew, 90 Minute IPA

WEIGHT LOSS: I have dropped 40 pounds since the end of last June and saw the scale hit 199 for the first time in almost 15 years!  My goal is to get into the 180's before the end of the year.

I look forward to learning from all of you and hopefully having a lot of fun (and beer) along the way.

George

2013-05-15 3:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Well went for my first lunch time bike ride....was great! A quick 10 miles exploring the paved trails. Need to cross the roads a few times but not bad overall! The one redeeming positive of having an hour for lunch
2013-05-15 3:35 PM
in reply to: #4738738

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Qua17 - 2013-05-12 1:37 PM

Burd - 2013-05-12 8:54 AM Have a smoking race today David!

Mission Accomplished!  New PR in this race despite the hardest rain in which I have ever raced.  1:21:13 unofficially.  No Coors light for meLaughing

More later.  Thanks as always for the support and inspiration!

Saaawwweeeet!

2013-05-15 3:38 PM
in reply to: #4739378

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
thor67 - 2013-05-13 7:47 AM

SportzVision - 2013-05-11 6:21 PM Missed my training today. I was ambushed for early m-day spa day. Now on my way to the first grad party of the season. Best one though; hecka old drunken pilots reliving their glory days is inevitable .

You can always train but family is #1.

You sound like my wife when I get together with old rugby or hockey friends...and of course she is right. Same old stories every time. Laughing

I am counting dancing until 3 in the morning as a workout.

2013-05-15 3:39 PM
in reply to: #4739403

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
thor67 - 2013-05-13 7:58 AM

Had a great weekend in Canmore! That is righ by Banff for all of you geographically challenged friends. Rode the Banff Legacy trail connecting the two towns together with my wife. It was an awesome ride in the mountains. The sun was shining on the snowy peaks and the trail was great.

I am still lost...Banff?
2013-05-15 3:46 PM
in reply to: #4744247

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
SportzVision - 2013-05-15 2:39 PM
thor67 - 2013-05-13 7:58 AM

Had a great weekend in Canmore! That is righ by Banff for all of you geographically challenged friends. Rode the Banff Legacy trail connecting the two towns together with my wife. It was an awesome ride in the mountains. The sun was shining on the snowy peaks and the trail was great.

I am still lost...Banff?

Here are a few postcards from Banff, AB...

http://ab-banff.civicplus.com/Postcard.aspx

2013-05-15 3:57 PM
in reply to: #4740816

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
ockeme3 - 2013-05-13 7:43 PM

Did someone say IPA's?

Hello, I looks like I'm a little late. Can I still join your group?

Bio to come.

Octavio

San Diego! My husband moved me from Coronado to the high desert...talk about culture shock...I vote yes!  

2013-05-15 4:06 PM
in reply to: #4744282

User image

San Diego, California
SportzVision - 2013-05-15 1:57 PM
ockeme3 - 2013-05-13 7:43 PM

Did someone say IPA's?

San Diego! My husband moved me from Coronado to the high desert...talk about culture shock...I vote yes!  

I used to live in the high desert now I live in SD. Yes that is a huge culture shock. Thank you for welcoming me!

2013-05-15 4:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Kind of last minute but my wife is calling around to see if any hotels are available for me to volunteer this weekend at the HIM in Haines City.  What a cool day that would be.  I'll probably go up Saturday, spend the night, and help at the race on Sunday then head home since it's only 2.5 hours from me.  I actually swim with 2 folks that are racing but I doubt I will be able to find them out of all the people.
2013-05-15 5:05 PM
in reply to: #4744326

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Burd - 2013-05-15 3:34 PM Kind of last minute but my wife is calling around to see if any hotels are available for me to volunteer this weekend at the HIM in Haines City.  What a cool day that would be.  I'll probably go up Saturday, spend the night, and help at the race on Sunday then head home since it's only 2.5 hours from me.  I actually swim with 2 folks that are racing but I doubt I will be able to find them out of all the people.

try vrbo.com...hell stay for the whole weekend, I am sure the atmoshphere would be awesome!

2013-05-15 6:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

Just found a way to have that Girl Scout Thin Mint cookie fix without feeling to bad about it.  Clif Bar Cool Mint Chocolate.  Had my first one that flavor for lunch today and it tastes just like that.  

YUM!

2013-05-15 6:47 PM
in reply to: #4743208

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
thor67 - 2013-05-15 6:32 AM

Well with my change of work location and hours, I need to make some training adjustments. 

Before I was working from home 3 days/wk. Now I am in the office 5days...blah, no more beer for breakfast...just kidding. 

I have brought my bike for my first lunch time ride as I have found some paths about a 5 minute drive away. I am super stoked as I am required to take an hour lunch. I will now eat at my desk before lunch, drive 5 minutes, bike 50, drive 5 and come back to the office covered in sweat. Too bad there is no shower in my office...well to bad for the people I work with at least. 

I am pretty sure I have found a Cycleop fluid trainer for a hundred bucks! Will be checking it out this weekend!! yeah, now me and my bride will have matching trainers!

Freaking cool about the ride and the trainer. 
2013-05-15 6:53 PM
in reply to: #4743580

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

bobddsmd - 2013-05-15 9:00 AM Well back from the Crossfit dungeon. Went for a fast 20 mile bike ride last night. Had a lot more power in the legs and hammered past several punks without tri bikes.Trying to decide about signing up for IM Texas 2014. Not sure I want to do that until 2015. My ITB issue during my 70.3 training is giving me pause. I am also kinda enjoying Crossfit with some sprint runs and long weekend bikes right now. I think I'm just not ready to commit right now. I don't think it sells out immediately so maybe 4 months from now I will feel different. I just want more muscle work and some more base. Also. Want to enjoy the journey and IM training right now gets me tired thinking about it.

Good choice Bob.  I'm doing mine IMCDA in 2015.  Maybe we'll be here to spur eachother on while training for it.

2013-05-15 7:04 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Alarm didn't wake me, or there was operator error last night.  I didn't get my run in this morning.  Just to make it up, tomorrow I'm going to make it 2x the distance.  That'll learn me.
2013-05-15 8:00 PM

User image

Veteran
New Mexico
Wow glad to see all of the new people in the group!  Welcome!  Sorry I haven't been active in the last couple weeks, work has been super crazy and we are fixing to get worse being that Memorial Day is coming up.  Aside from that I have not done much training for the past 3 weeks trying to rest the knee and see if it feels better.  Unfortunately, still in pain and have finally decided that I best go to the doc and get an opinion.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Hope everyone else is doing well!
2013-05-15 8:23 PM

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

Would love a little insight from the group on how to improve my swimming.

My current workouts look something like this, all supposed to be in Zone 2:

2 x 100m 45 sec rest

6 x 50m 45 sec reset

The first 100 is no problem but by the end I'm more in zone 3 than zone 2.  Second hundred is a little harder and I end up in zone 3 about half way through (side note this is actually supposed to be a 75m interval but the pool is setup as a 50m long course so it's hard to do 75m).  By the time I get towards the end of the 50s I'm really struggling. 

I guess my question is, what are some things I can do to keep my heart rate down so I'm not so gassed at the end?  I already feel like I'm swimming as slow as possible (about a 2:00 100m).

Any insight would be appreciated.

2013-05-15 8:49 PM
in reply to: #4744568

User image

New user
Jacksonville
podemma - 2013-05-15 9:23 PM

2 x 100m 45 sec rest

6 x 50m 45 sec reset

The first 100 is no problem but by the end I'm more in zone 3 than zone 2.  Second hundred is a little harder and I end up in zone 3 about half way through (side note this is actually supposed to be a 75m interval but the pool is setup as a 50m long course so it's hard to do 75m).  By the time I get towards the end of the 50s I'm really struggling. 

I guess my question is, what are some things I can do to keep my heart rate down so I'm not so gassed at the end?  I already feel like I'm swimming as slow as possible (about a 2:00 100m).

I'm no swim coach, but based on what you've provided I'd try a longer rest between sets, say a minute vs. 45 seconds, see what that does. If you can't slow the pace down any more without just sinking, my only other thought would be extend the rest.

How's your breathing? That might be something to look at as well - too long between breaths will tire you out fast, but sometimes, depending on what you're used to, too often is bad too. I go every third, can go all day like that, if I try to do every second stroke the extra motion tires me out faster than any benefit I might have gotten. Just a a matter of what you're used to.

Hope that helps,

Andres
2013-05-15 8:51 PM
in reply to: #4743658

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Asalzwed - 2013-05-15 9:30 AM

NAME: Adrienne

STORY: I was about 30+ lbs heavier and just decided I needed to make a change, did so, found triathlon about 2 years ago and then found running.

FAMILY STATUS: Partner of almost 7 years, 3 cats all grey, one pug, blonde

CURRENT TRAINING: Just jumped back into triathlon training, getting back into triathlon shape. Planning on working on shorter distance speed for running.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I'm just coming off of some heavy run volume from my build-up to the 2013 Boston Marathon (RR here) Now I am planning on lots of 5 and 10Ks and bike rides just getting back into the triathlon mode, and perhaps some track meets (1500, 3k, 5K etc.) AG Nationals (Olympic Distance) in August.

Planning to run cross country in the fall before jumping back into marathon focus for Boston 2014. My training partner is doing Cal. Intl. in December hmmmm …

Oh yeah, and I am going to do a beer mile in a few weeks. Look it up. Serious business.

BODY COMPOSITION: Trying to find the balance of eating right and eating enough while getting as close as possible to race weight. I think it’s a dance we all do with in one form or another.

BEER: I LOVE beer. Lots of racing and training has forced me to a be a little more quality, not quantity focused Smile I'm a huge micro-brew fan. Not any particular one as I just like the culture in general. I like going to tastings, learning about the stories behind different breweries, the process and even the graphic design of their labels. I guess my preference is wheat and fruit beers (I'm not ashamed to say it)  

A few of my favorites:

21st amendment's to Hell of High Watermelon

Georgetown Brewery's Lucille IPA

New Belgium Mothership Wit

Recently discovered Sam Adam's Blueberry Hill

Holy He77 BDAS, I think we've just reached a new level of madness!  You are a runnin fool!!!
2013-05-15 9:09 PM
in reply to: #4744592

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Ajokisch - 2013-05-15 9:49 PM
podemma - 2013-05-15 9:23 PM

2 x 100m 45 sec rest

6 x 50m 45 sec reset

I'm no swim coach, but based on what you've provided I'd try a longer rest between sets, say a minute vs. 45 seconds, see what that does. If you can't slow the pace down any more without just sinking, my only other thought would be extend the rest.How's your breathing? That might be something to look at as well - too long between breaths will tire you out fast, but sometimes, depending on what you're used to, too often is bad too. I go every third, can go all day like that, if I try to do every second stroke the extra motion tires me out faster than any benefit I might have gotten. Just a a matter of what you're used to. Hope that helps,Andres

^^This.

2 months ago I couldn't swing 25 yards w/o stopping and walking some.  Then I did a bunch of n x 50 with 45+ sec rests.  Then when I could I moved to 100s at 1 min rest.  Now I'm up to around 12 x 100 on 10".  Still can only swim 500 straight but it's getting better.  I'm crazy slow (2:25ish/100) but it gets the job done.  More pool time fixes all.

As for zone 2 swimming...well I haven't been able to get it down to Z2 even when barely moving.  I think it's getting closer though.  It boils down to swim fitness.  From talking with the lifeguards if they take even 2 weeks off they have a hard time doing a 500 and have to build up again.

Take this for what it's worth: someone super new to all of this and this is only a repetition of what I have seen and heard.  It makes sense though.

2013-05-15 9:12 PM
in reply to: #4744592

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

Ajokisch - 2013-05-15 8:49 PM

How's your breathing? That might be something to look at as well - too long between breaths will tire you out fast, but sometimes, depending on what you're used to, too often is bad too. I go every third, can go all day like that, if I try to do every second stroke the extra motion tires me out faster than any benefit I might have gotten. Just a a matter of what you're used to. Hope that helps,Andres

I'm currently breathing every second stroke, I'll have to try stretching it out a little on the next swim.  Sometimes I do feel I don't have time to fully exhale before it's time to take the next breath.  Maybe I'm hyperventilating myself a little.  Thanks for your thoughts.

2013-05-15 9:18 PM
in reply to: #4744608

User image

New user
Auburn, AL
Burd - 2013-05-15 9:09 PM

^^This.

2 months ago I couldn't swing 25 yards w/o stopping and walking some.  Then I did a bunch of n x 50 with 45+ sec rests.  Then when I could I moved to 100s at 1 min rest.  Now I'm up to around 12 x 100 on 10".  Still can only swim 500 straight but it's getting better.  I'm crazy slow (2:25ish/100) but it gets the job done.  More pool time fixes all.

As for zone 2 swimming...well I haven't been able to get it down to Z2 even when barely moving.  I think it's getting closer though.  It boils down to swim fitness.  From talking with the lifeguards if they take even 2 weeks off they have a hard time doing a 500 and have to build up again.

Take this for what it's worth: someone super new to all of this and this is only a repetition of what I have seen and heard.  It makes sense though.

That makes me feel a little better.  I just seem to always be behind the 8ball with the swimming.  It might just be the 50m pool as my training plan is set up for a 25m pool.  That extra 25m per lap is rough for a beginner.

As for walking in the pool....the shallow end is 9ft deep so I'm SOL there. 

2013-05-15 11:11 PM
in reply to: #4744611

User image

Veteran
Illinois
podemma - 2013-05-15 9:12 PM

Ajokisch - 2013-05-15 8:49 PM

How's your breathing? That might be something to look at as well - too long between breaths will tire you out fast, but sometimes, depending on what you're used to, too often is bad too. I go every third, can go all day like that, if I try to do every second stroke the extra motion tires me out faster than any benefit I might have gotten. Just a a matter of what you're used to. Hope that helps,Andres

I'm currently breathing every second stroke, I'll have to try stretching it out a little on the next swim.  Sometimes I do feel I don't have time to fully exhale before it's time to take the next breath.  Maybe I'm hyperventilating myself a little.  Thanks for your thoughts.

You are probably swimming too hard, too fast.  Slow down; think smooth.  I found buoy drills and pencil drills very useful starting out, just to find balance in the water.  

Though my swim is pretty weak, I can still pull off 1x2000 if need be, at 2:30/100.  I found a local masters group, which starts in about two weeks, and I'm looking forward to making some big progress in the water.

2013-05-16 7:40 AM
in reply to: #4744568

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
podemma - 2013-05-15 7:23 PM

2 x 100m 45 sec rest

6 x 50m 45 sec reset

What is your swim background?

Either way what it comes down to is more pool time...

I wouldn't worry too much of zones. Based on looking at your logs you have just began swimming. It will take some time and consistency to get your swim fitness. Make sure you are getting 3 swims/wk.

You may want to skip the 100's and go with more 50's. I also thing 45 seconds rest is way too much, you could have a couple beers in that time...Laughing

2013-05-16 7:41 AM
in reply to: #4744543

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

jlangene - 2013-05-15 7:00 PM Wow glad to see all of the new people in the group!  Welcome!  Sorry I haven't been active in the last couple weeks, work has been super crazy and we are fixing to get worse being that Memorial Day is coming up.  Aside from that I have not done much training for the past 3 weeks trying to rest the knee and see if it feels better.  Unfortunately, still in pain and have finally decided that I best go to the doc and get an opinion.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Hope everyone else is doing well!

Try water jogging.

good luck!

2013-05-16 8:16 AM

User image

New user
Holliston

Ok, I am just over two weeks away from my first triathlon...

Thanks to the generosity of a local person (FlyTheBlueSky), I now have a wetsuit!  I hope to try this out before the race on June 2nd so I can see what it is like to wear one.

Do people just wear their tri suit under the wetsuit so that it makes for any easy transition?

Any other thoughts or wisdom for a first timer (besides have fun and finish)?

George

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society 2 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 70