BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (5th season) - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2013-05-26 10:29 AM
in reply to: Samyg

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group (5th season) - OPEN
Originally posted by Samyg

Another question that might elicit multiple responses (i am sure Crhis will have to say something about this if he sees this post)

Yesterday I stopped at a "LRS" (actually a chain of running specific mall stores called fit2trun), as they were having a great sale. Could not find my running shoes (currently using Saucony Hurricane, but also looking for Brooks Adrenaline) but bought a pair of Brooks PureConnect (0 mm drop) for $40.

I currently run in 8mm drop shoes (Saucony Hurricane), and was wondering any advice on including the Connect on my shoe rotation. I know your are supposed to start easy, but is a 3-mile easy run "easy" enough? Start once a week? I am probably planning to use these shoes for my shorter runs, and maybe sprint races, and continue to use the hurricanes for longer runs, as my calves are somewhat tight and don't want to force it.

Worse case scenario, for the price, these are cool sneakers to wear every day.

3 miles is pretty far to run on 0 drop for the first time. Go out for 1/2 mile in your new 0 drops, turn around and go home (so you've done 1 mile), change shoes and then finish your run. Do this over time each time increasing how far you go in your 0 drops, but increase total mileage in them slowly. And monitor how your calves and achilles feel.

2013-05-26 11:02 AM
in reply to: chris2533

User image

Veteran
clayton
Samy - I recently changed from Brooks 12mm to Brooks PureFlow 4mm - even though I had heard Chris's advice many time over within this group and I followed it, it still took me 3 months before I was ache free. I even went back to the store at 60 days a pleaded with them to return the shoes!

I finally realised that in addition to above I also needed to stretch more and use the foam roller daily to help tweak out the niggles.

I now love runnning in them and feel like I 'skip' along the road - cant wait for my first race on sunday.

Mark.
2013-05-26 11:44 AM
in reply to: markhodges1973

User image

Veteran
clayton
so, as I mentioend above my next tri is 6/2 - first oly and really excited.

After reviewing the registration I see the numbers are a meer 100 entrants with 7 in my AG. Ihave already reviewed their race tiems for the last few years at this event and others. I have looked at my individual training times and concluded that I should be able to achieve fourth place and if the top three have a bad day I could place!!

[wakes up from dreaming] ... am I the only person that does this, surely not ... ?
2013-05-26 12:46 PM

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Surely not.
2013-05-26 1:08 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Very attractive conversation regarding Garmin 910xt and others. I am new to this sport, running my first Sprint next June in Madrid- Spain, and if I finish with dignity, I will give myself one of these gadgets. For those of you with experience: Garmin 910xt or Polar rcx5? So far using free Apps like MapmyRide or similars, but would like to invest for once in a good one!
2013-05-26 6:59 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Master
Dallas
Hey guys, I'm getting back in the groove, putting things in perspective and trying to leave IMTX as a really bad day that I have to put behind, learning a lot from it. I will check the thread daily starting now, feel free to ask questions, especially those of you that are new on the thread.
I was able to train without feeling any of the usual wear after an Ironman, obviously because I walked the marathon and that is way easier to recover from than when you run it.
I haven't had the courage to write a race report yet, I guess I don't want to live those moments again. I will soon, but mostly to keep others from doing the same stupid mistakes. As for me, I may screw up but I hardly ever did it twice.
I really need some redemption now...

2013-05-26 7:23 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Originally posted by markhodges1973

After reviewing the registration I see the numbers are a meer 100 entrants with 7 in my AG. Ihave already reviewed their race tiems for the last few years at this event and others. I have looked at my individual training times and concluded that I should be able to achieve fourth place and if the top three have a bad day I could place!!

[wakes up from dreaming] ... am I the only person that does this, surely not ... ?

I do it for just about every race.

In fact, I did it for a 5k last week. 2 years ago I ran the same 5k and placed 3rd OA with a 20:19. I had a goal of sub 19:00 going in to it and figured that should be good enough for 2nd OA if not 1st OA. Last week at that race, I ran 18:14 and placed 5th OA.

Goes to show...you never know who is going to show up.

Edited by The Chupacabra 2013-05-26 7:24 PM
2013-05-26 8:25 PM

User image

Miami
Originally posted by markhodges1973

I do this for every race... Well, every race I did this year, last year I just wanted to finish, but as I keep improving and I start getting close to podium in my AG, I can't help it to look to the list of participants as well as to last years results from the races I am doing and start dreaming. Also, it is a huge motivation during those training days where it is hard to stick to the training plan or to even wake up early in the morning.
2013-05-26 8:35 PM

User image

Miami
Originally posted by Juancho

Very attractive conversation regarding Garmin 910xt and others. I am new to this sport, running my first Sprint next June in Madrid- Spain, and if I finish with dignity, I will give myself one of these gadgets. For those of you with experience: Garmin 910xt or Polar rcx5? So far using free Apps like MapmyRide or similars, but would like to invest for once in a good one!

Hey Juancho!

I am bias towards the 910xt, I have it and I love it. It does all I need and it has been very helpful to analyze my workouts and, more importantly, to improve my fitness and training methods. In my opinion, there's no better option out there to use as a single device for triathlon.

However, if you want an independent opinion, I recommend you to visit this webpage: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/This guy is awesome. You will be able to find an detailed review of any gadget you may be interested on.

By the way, I am going to be in Spain around end July/early August. Where can I search for races? I would love to do one while I am there.
2013-05-26 10:32 PM
in reply to: trisuppo

User image

Regular
Ernesto I would like to join your group.

Name: Mike

Story: I am 47. Way back in the day I was an Airborne Ranger. I left the service at the age of 27, as a Captain, in great shape (6.2 185). By the time I hit 36 I was up to 280 and not sure I could run a mile and still be alive. Still never did anything until about age 40 when I was going on a Boy Scout Scuba diving adventure with my son and they said you had to be under 250 to be able to dive. What a wake up. So I got 10 of my friends together and we decided to lose some weight. 4 months later I was at 220. However, I like to eat so I thought the only way I can eat and keep the weight off is to run. I've loved running my entire life. Fastest 2 mile is 9:48 back in college. So in 2009 ran the Charlevoix marathon in 4:07. Started on a goal to qualify for the Boston. Completed 5 more marathons between 2009 and 2012 but the fastest I've completed one is 3:41. 11 minutes shy of what I need for the Boston. Most of my runs have been through several injuries: IT Band, Hip problems, Planter Fasciitis, etc. I've found that about 10-12 weeks in a build up period for the marathon and I started developing some sort of injury. So in June 2012 decided to buy a bike and do triathlons. First one was in July in Texas, (was a highschool swimmer 30 years ago) and since I was in Marathon condition thought I could do an Olympic without any problems. I had not swam more than 100 meters in that time and I did complete the swim, and ended up with a podium finish, only 9 people in my age group. But not a fast time. Around 2:38. After getting off the bike I almost dropped out since I had no training experience with bike to run. LOL. Did the Toyota US Nationals in October (40 degrees day of race in Dallas) go figure. Did ok 2:36 finish time. What I've found is that I don't get injured doing the shorter races and giving my legs time to rest in between. Completed a sprint in March. Finished 2nd in the Clydsdales division (217lbs at start). Time of 1:09:08. But that was with a 400 yard swim. and a 14 mile bike ride.

Family Status: Been married to the most wonderful woman for 24 years. We have 2 young men 18 and 20. Great life.

Current Training: Currently Training for the Harvest Moon HIM Sept 8th in Colorado, but running 2 businesses and a ministry gives me about 8-10 hours a week to train. I would like to complete it under 5 hours, but 5:15 or under would be a great time.

Weight Loss: I was down to about 202 in October, then in November I got a cold and I never get sick, but when I do, I do it right. Back to 220 after the Holidays. As of this morning I'm back down to 203. Goal is to be down to 195 by HIM

2 reasons why I train. I love to eat, and I love to compete. Unfortunately this is about the 5th thing on my list of priorities.
2013-05-26 11:40 PM
in reply to: mharvey642

User image

Expert
Guatemala
No workouts for me this weekend as it was my wife's big 40 Bday and we went to El Salvador for the weekend to celebrate. Not great from a training standpoint since I had to skip my long run and long bike ride and am 6 wks away from my next 70.3 race. However, I'm getting better at picking my battles wisely and a happy wife goes a long way (especially if we want to entertain the thought of doing more Ironman races in the future :-)

Joe, how are you and your wife doing now? Hope both are doing a lot better!

Jim, glad to hear you are recovered from your marathon and doing hard, long rides

Ernesto, how is your IM recovery going? Ready to focus on IM Lake Tahoe now?

Hey Jackie, Chris, Ramon, Daniel, what is going on with you guys? Send us some news

2013-05-27 10:58 AM
in reply to: The Chupacabra

User image

that is fast, chupa.
2013-05-27 3:02 PM
in reply to: davidfedez

User image

New user
Madrid
David, thanks so much, extremely useful review!
Regarding races in Spain, you can check www.triathlonseries.org and also www.triatlon.cadenaser.com, I am doing 2 Sprints of the triathlon series, Madrid and Málaga. Also, you can check local federations, but these two are very well organized and very popular. Let me know if you are around, may not run but share a wine!
2013-05-27 6:11 PM

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
Gabe: We are doing well. Wife gets the stitched out tomorrow and two more weeks with the pins. I am actually feeling much better and I have no idea why, but I am going with it.

Big weekend of training for me. Saturday was a run - bike - run brick. Gotta say this is one of my favorite workouts. Today I swam outside in our community pool. Weather here has been into the 30s at night so I when I hit the water today air temp was 69 and water temp was 62. Swam for 30 mins in a set of jammers. My times were awful and I lost feeling in my feet. When I got out, I had really bad hamstring cramps and was uncontrollably shaking and disoriented. Even after spending time under the hot shower, it took me a while to come back to earth.
2013-05-27 10:06 PM

User image

Master
Dallas
Originally posted by mharvey642

Ernesto I would like to join your group.

Name: Mike

Story: I am 47. Way back in the day I was an Airborne Ranger. I left the service at the age of 27, as a Captain, in great shape (6.2 185). By the time I hit 36 I was up to 280 and not sure I could run a mile and still be alive. Still never did anything until about age 40 when I was going on a Boy Scout Scuba diving adventure with my son and they said you had to be under 250 to be able to dive. What a wake up. So I got 10 of my friends together and we decided to lose some weight. 4 months later I was at 220. However, I like to eat so I thought the only way I can eat and keep the weight off is to run. I've loved running my entire life. Fastest 2 mile is 9:48 back in college. So in 2009 ran the Charlevoix marathon in 4:07. Started on a goal to qualify for the Boston. Completed 5 more marathons between 2009 and 2012 but the fastest I've completed one is 3:41. 11 minutes shy of what I need for the Boston. Most of my runs have been through several injuries: IT Band, Hip problems, Planter Fasciitis, etc. I've found that about 10-12 weeks in a build up period for the marathon and I started developing some sort of injury. So in June 2012 decided to buy a bike and do triathlons. First one was in July in Texas, (was a highschool swimmer 30 years ago) and since I was in Marathon condition thought I could do an Olympic without any problems. I had not swam more than 100 meters in that time and I did complete the swim, and ended up with a podium finish, only 9 people in my age group. But not a fast time. Around 2:38. After getting off the bike I almost dropped out since I had no training experience with bike to run. LOL. Did the Toyota US Nationals in October (40 degrees day of race in Dallas) go figure. Did ok 2:36 finish time. What I've found is that I don't get injured doing the shorter races and giving my legs time to rest in between. Completed a sprint in March. Finished 2nd in the Clydsdales division (217lbs at start). Time of 1:09:08. But that was with a 400 yard swim. and a 14 mile bike ride.

Family Status: Been married to the most wonderful woman for 24 years. We have 2 young men 18 and 20. Great life.

Current Training: Currently Training for the Harvest Moon HIM Sept 8th in Colorado, but running 2 businesses and a ministry gives me about 8-10 hours a week to train. I would like to complete it under 5 hours, but 5:15 or under would be a great time.

Weight Loss: I was down to about 202 in October, then in November I got a cold and I never get sick, but when I do, I do it right. Back to 220 after the Holidays. As of this morning I'm back down to 203. Goal is to be down to 195 by HIM

2 reasons why I train. I love to eat, and I love to compete. Unfortunately this is about the 5th thing on my list of priorities.
welcome to the gang, Mike! I'm sure you will like it here.
2013-05-28 8:15 AM
in reply to: ernestov

User image

Expert
Thanks Gabe. The legs were strong I even did a 35 mile ride yesterday, but my Achilles was my Achilles. I had tendonitis in my left Achilles last week and I chaperoned my daughters class to the Henry Ford Museum ( a must see if you are in Detroit) and really aggravated it. Between the walking and the 6 hours in the car, it put me over the top. I had to switch to the old man shoes until the swelling went down. I am going to do my first run since the marathon today at lunch.

2013-05-28 9:27 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Regular

Today's workout,  After a 64 mile bike ride Saturday ave 19.4 mph 4000 feet elevation change (2000 up and 2000 down).  11 mile run on Sunday ave 7:48 HR zone mostly in 2.  

Swim Drills Form 45 1700 WU: 200 easy swimming. 4x50 swim golf. MS: 8x50 drills, all on 20" rest: - 2x50 are FTD (finger tip drag) - 2x50 are SAD (Single arm drill) - 2x50 are CUD (Catch up drill) - 2x50 are Swim. Swim an easy 100 focusing on your biggest weakness of the drills. Now repeat the set again, 8x50. Swim another 100 easy focusing on your weakness. Last set is 4x50 Swim golf. How does your score compare to the first go-around? CD: 100

Easy 30 min run 8 min pace zone 1

2013-05-28 10:11 AM

User image

Master
Hey guys. Had a good weekend - PB on a 15k run on Sunday. I'm not doing the HM I usually do in early June so I figured I'd let it out on a "training run". Felt good to push and think I had some in the tank as well. Legs felt fine next day. HR was pretty stable as well.

Question - anyone have experience with a possibly broken little toe? I jammed it pretty hard into a leather ottoman yesterday morning. Its black and blue and doesn't like pressure at the moment. Going to try to tape it and run tomorrow morning to see how it responds. I'd really like to avoid being sidelined on the run. Thoughts?
2013-05-28 11:23 AM

User image

Miami
Originally posted by trisuppo

Hey guys. Had a good weekend - PB on a 15k run on Sunday. I'm not doing the HM I usually do in early June so I figured I'd let it out on a "training run". Felt good to push and think I had some in the tank as well. Legs felt fine next day. HR was pretty stable as well.

Question - anyone have experience with a possibly broken little toe? I jammed it pretty hard into a leather ottoman yesterday morning. Its black and blue and doesn't like pressure at the moment. Going to try to tape it and run tomorrow morning to see how it responds. I'd really like to avoid being sidelined on the run. Thoughts?

A couple of months ago I kicked my couch and I also got a black and blue toe. I thought I broke it, but I think only damaged it pretty bad. I looked online for the best treatment for a broken toe and I didn't find much more than put ice for 15-20 min and rest the foot up. I did it twice a day for 5 days and it recovered pretty well (my toe went through a full range of colors during that week though).

2013-05-28 11:27 AM

User image

Miami
Originally posted by Juancho

David, thanks so much, extremely useful review!
Regarding races in Spain, you can check www.triathlonseries.org and also www.triatlon.cadenaser.com, I am doing 2 Sprints of the triathlon series, Madrid and Málaga. Also, you can check local federations, but these two are very well organized and very popular. Let me know if you are around, may not run but share a wine!

Thanks Juancho! I will look at them and, hopefully, I can fin something that works out. I'll be pretty busy when I'm there, but since I will be in different parts of Spain (Barcelona, Galicia, and Teruel), I hope I can't find at least a race that fits my schedule. Thanks again!
2013-05-28 12:39 PM
in reply to: davidfedez

User image

New user

WSU
Past weekend did a 2 hour ride on the new bike followed by a 20 min run. Bike felt great. Today I have a fit scheduled after an open water swim down at the river.

Little under 2 weeks to first race.

2013-05-28 1:04 PM

User image

Expert

Yes, I broke mine in Guatemala on Christmas Eve a few years back. There is nothing you can do, but let it heal. Nobody told me that they shoot off fireworks at midnight on Christmas Eve. I woke up to what sounded like a war outside of my window and walked into the edge of a door, breaking my pinky toe and giving myself a knot on my forehead. It took about a month to heal.

2013-05-28 1:05 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Expert
I had my first run since my marathon, I only went 4 miles well below MAF. I felt good.
2013-05-28 1:15 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala

Mitch, congrats on your new PR, well done! In regards to your little toe, same as David mentioned, icing it for several days did the trick for me.

2013-05-28 1:17 PM
in reply to: The Chupacabra

User image

Expert
Guatemala
Originally posted by The Chupacabra

I do it for just about every race.

In fact, I did it for a 5k last week. 2 years ago I ran the same 5k and placed 3rd OA with a 20:19. I had a goal of sub 19:00 going in to it and figured that should be good enough for 2nd OA if not 1st OA. Last week at that race, I ran 18:14 and placed 5th OA.

Goes to show...you never know who is going to show up.

Hey Chupacabra that is an awesome time, you are fast! (btw, still laughing at your username!)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (5th season) - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 21