BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2014-01-27 4:51 AM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - OPEN

So I decided to do my FTP test yesterday because I was was making more excuses than anything about it now.  I would like to have done it at the end of the training cycle as I mentioned but knowing it was likely off a little bit thought I might receive a better benefit by doing it now.  For this test I decided to complete the 20 minute version as opposed to the 8 minute test I completed last time.  About 10 minutes into the test today I was really wishing I had done the 8 minute test!!!

I was trying to see if I was able to push about 300 watts for the test but this proved way to hard.  The first qtr. of the testing phase was targeted at 285 to maintain my FTP and I was at 295.  The second qtr. I leveled off my effort and began to suffer and landed at 301 watts over this 5 minute period, but I was suffering tremendously at the end of it.  

The last 10 minutes was going to be horrible!  When I had originally decided to do the test I thought I would try to go about 297 for the 20 minutes.  Then I thought "what are 3 lousy watts?"  I found out those 3 watts really, really sucked!!

At the beginning of the 3rd qtr. I dropped my effort a little bit to provide a little relief and still landed at 291 watts.  This probably was a somewhat wise decision given that I had gone out far to hard in the beginning.  The final 5 minutes of the test was a total mental effort and I was watching my HR spike into places I am not sure I have ever seen for this long on the bike.  Finally for the last qtr. I averaged 298 watts, a little lower than my 300 watt target but I am not so sure I was ready for that anyway.

My new FTP after the test and a 8.5 hour previous week of recovery riding is 280.  Now I'll see if I can legitimize that number for the next few weeks and over the racing season.

2014-01-27 3:37 PM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Hello,

I am Chris; I am brand new to Triathlons. Last year I lost a bunch of weight, got addicted to running, did the Marine Corps Marathon and have been biking and swimming too much. I am thinking about sprint in the spring. I have read your post and this seems like a cool place to hang out.

Is this group still open?

I can post a more formal bio after my spinning class...
2014-01-27 5:31 PM
in reply to: Captain_Chris

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by Captain_Chris Hello, I am Chris; I am brand new to Triathlons. Last year I lost a bunch of weight, got addicted to running, did the Marine Corps Marathon and have been biking and swimming too much. I am thinking about sprint in the spring. I have read your post and this seems like a cool place to hang out. Is this group still open? I can post a more formal bio after my spinning class...

Yes!  Jump on in the group Chris.  When you post a bio try yo follow something close tho the format from the other bios.

The Marine Corps Marathon was the first full marathon I completed too.  It is probably my most favorite race because I was able to run for a purpose.

2014-01-27 5:37 PM
in reply to: Jo63

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Originally posted by Jo63

I am doing Jorge's winter program and I was not riding on the road, and yes i was going 20 mph which apparently wasnt fast but at the time I was thrilled because I am having trouble getting faster when I started I tested using HR! I got a power meter for Christmas and didn't want to retest ( maybe this was wrong) so i have been using HR and just seeing where I am with power, my thought was to test with power the week before I start IM training. So.... If you can figure out why I am working hard and not going as fast as I should be or getting any faster that would be awesome!!

And thanks warren I will try at a lesser % so I can make it thru the ride!! Knowing this I will try not to beat myself up next time if I struggle to get thru

Ok, so you were NOT riding on the road yet you were going 20mph? How does that work?
If you were on a trainer then we can't assume that the speed at which your rear wheel was spinning is anywhere near what you would see in the real world!

Once you get outside on your bike we should double check your power output with your bicycle speed and come up with a guesstimation of your aerodynamic efficiency.
2014-01-27 5:46 PM
in reply to: JeffY

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Originally posted by JeffY

I am doing Jorge's winter program and I was not riding on the road, and yes i was going 20 mph which apparently wasnt fast but at the time I was thrilled because I am having trouble getting faster when I started I tested using HR! I got a power meter for Christmas and didn't want to retest ( maybe this was wrong) so i have been using HR and just seeing where I am with power, my thought was to test with power the week before I start IM training. So.... If you can figure out why I am working hard and not going as fast as I should be or getting any faster that would be awesome!!

And thanks warren I will try at a lesser % so I can make it thru the ride!! Knowing this I will try not to beat myself up next time if I struggle to get thru

Ok, so you were NOT riding on the road yet you were going 20mph? How does that work?
If you were on a trainer then we can't assume that the speed at which your rear wheel was spinning is anywhere near what you would see in the real world!

Once you get outside on your bike we should double check your power output with your bicycle speed and come up with a guesstimation of your aerodynamic efficiency.

And just to be clear...20mph is great, but your power number was even greater. I was suggesting you can ride faster than 20mph with that power output.

And in regards to following HR rather than Watts: As Dirk said there is a huge variation from day to day (perhaps...there is with me). But another thing to be aware of is that as you increase your fitness, there is a point in the process where your heart rate at threshold DROPS.
So just as an example, a long time ago you might have had an FTP of 150 watts while your heart was beating at 158bpm. After a huge increase in cycling fitness you could theoretically be turning out 175 watts at FTP but only be seeing a HR of 149bpm. At this point, if you insisted on targeting 158bpm, you might be trying to force yourself to hold 185 watts and be unable to.

That is to say, that if you use the same HR you determined to be your FTP a long time ago and have improved in fitness since then, you might actually be working far too hard at that old HR now.
2014-01-27 7:10 PM

User image

Although you haven't fully committed to becoming a Junkie, I'll welcome you any ways, CAPTAIN CHRIS!   This is a great group of folks and I'm sure you'll fit right in.  Your weight loss and completing the Marine Corps Marathon are great accomplishments.  Congratulations!   Don't get overwhelmed with all the triathlon lingo and data and general STUFF that'll be talked about here.     Just ask away on anything you want to know about.    I look forward to reading your bio and getting to know you!    Hope you enjoyed spin class! 

2014-01-27 7:44 PM
in reply to: bswcpa

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Welcome aboard Chris, you've come to the right place. This is the best mentoring group on BT hands down. I might be a little biased though but really this is a great group of people. You'll learn alot here and you'll get plenty of support.
2014-01-27 7:52 PM
in reply to: JonnyVero

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Originally posted by JonnyVero

Hi Junkies! I've been trying to run 3 days a week even though the cough has not gone away. I did get to spend a little time on a bike this last Sunday too. I still haven't gone to see a doctor about the cough yet. I'm really reluctant to spend the money to have a dr. say "its a cold, go rest" The plan is to run the 2 mile Frosty Fun Run tomorrow morning with some friends so we'll see how I do in that situation.

bro, how long has it been now? dont want to "mom" you, but go to the doc. We've had 5 men (all white males age 30-40) die from H1N1 in my area... some because they are men and they just tough it out and go to work, etc. and too stubborn to go to doc.
2014-01-27 7:59 PM
in reply to: pistuo

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Originally posted by pistuo

Originally posted by JonnyVero

Hi Junkies! I've been trying to run 3 days a week even though the cough has not gone away. I did get to spend a little time on a bike this last Sunday too. I still haven't gone to see a doctor about the cough yet. I'm really reluctant to spend the money to have a dr. say "its a cold, go rest" The plan is to run the 2 mile Frosty Fun Run tomorrow morning with some friends so we'll see how I do in that situation.

bro, how long has it been now? dont want to "mom" you, but go to the doc. We've had 5 men (all white males age 30-40) die from H1N1 in my area... some because they are men and they just tough it out and go to work, etc. and too stubborn to go to doc.

Just now got to page 7 and saw you went to the doc... good job.

Welcome Chris!
2014-01-27 8:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Originally posted by Captain_ChrisHello, I am Chris; I am brand new to Triathlons. Last year I lost a bunch of weight, got addicted to running, did the Marine Corps Marathon and have been biking and swimming too much. I am thinking about sprint in the spring. I have read your post and this seems like a cool place to hang out.Is this group still open?I can post a more formal bio after my spinning class...
welcome to the group Chris!
2014-01-27 8:25 PM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

USERNAME: CaptainChris Name: Captain or Chris

STORY: At 46 years old, I am a big man… currently 6’0” 230lbs, but 18 months ago I went 307! When I finally decided to get healthy I lost 80 pounds in about 10 months with a combination of dieting, weight training and running. I live in Maryland in a little town on the Chesapeake Bay.

I ran my first race ever in March of 2013, a 5k at 29:05. My second race was the Marine Corps Marathon in October. I did well and had an absolute blast, despite crashing at mile 20, I was holding 10:07 miles up until my quads cramped severely and I ended up walking most of the last 6 miles. I ran my third race, another 5k in December in 25:11. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/413091294My Garmin site is wide open if anyone wants to look around, feel free. I am always looking for insight.

I started swimming in June and quickly worked my way up to swimming a mile 2-3 days a week, albeit ridiculously slow. I kept thinking I would get faster, but never did. It never failed, there was always someone in the lane next to me literally going twice as fast as I was. About a month ago, I finally gave up and went looking for help and discovered a book called “Total Immersion”, I have essentially been relearning to swim ever since…. I went way too far down the wrong road ingraining the wrong stroke deeply into my muscles and brain. I am trying to fix it but am struggling.

I have always enjoyed biking and ended up with a really nice used Carbon Cannondale Synapse in the fall that I have hardly ridden, I hate cold! But I have been doing 2-3 spinning classes a week for 3 months or so.

FAMILY STATUS: I am happily married to a wonderful wife, Cindy, I call her The Admiral.

JOB: I am a computer Geek during the day while working for the department of the Navy and I operate a Charter boat on the Chesapeake Bay on weekends and day’s off. Hence the name Captain.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am currently focused on swimming and trying to reinvent my stroke. I am swimming 3-5 days a week doing very basic drills and working on stoke count. I run 3-10 miles 3 to 5 days a week and do 2-3 spinning classes a week.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I am thinking about a sprint tri in June on the Navy base I work at and maybe a longer one in the fall. I am also strongly considering the Disney Marathon in Jan of 15 with some friends form Church.

MY BIGGEST SUCCESSES: I am very proud of finishing the MCM and losing 80 pounds.

WEIGHT LOSS: At 230, I am 20 pounds overweight. I have a large frame and will never see 200lbs but would love to see 210!

Grammatical Integrity: none
Spelling Skills: None

2014-01-27 8:42 PM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Quick question on bike fitting. So far this winter I have added shoes, pedals and a new seat. I believe I have the fit dialed in, almost. Previously I discussed a pain in my foot, I believe this was coming from a slightly twisted ankle and then my cleat position putting stress on the area that was sprained. I adjusted my cleats so that the shoe moved further away from the bike and this has made a huge difference. I do not feel the pressure on the outside of my foot anymore and all is good. Now for the final issue, when measuring and adjusting my seat, I could not get it forward enough (according to mfg). I believe the instructions called for something like 2mm in front of center case. But I can only get it even with the center of the case, my seat post doesn't allow it to go any further forward. I even tried turning the seat bracket backwards but that still did not get me close enough. While riding I keep finding myself sliding forward which puts me in a position to where all the pressure is on the WRONG area. (Not enjoyable after about 90 minutes).

is there an easy adjustment I can make to get this issue straightened out? I looked at forward positioning seat posts, but these are around $200 and that is probably just not in the budget. Another thought I had was to shorten the stem on the handle bars, I thought if I didn't have to reach so far out I may be able to move my entire body back over the seat. Currently the measurements from the seat to tip of handle bars match directions from a bike fitting video i found (I think from tri-sports)

any thoughts! If I get a chance I will video my position and post it.
2014-01-27 9:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA

Welcome to the Junkies, Chris!

2014-01-27 10:02 PM
in reply to: pistuo

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA

Originally posted by pistuo

If it had been flu like symptoms I'd have seen the doc long before I did, but it only felt like a sore throat. I do appreciate all the "mom" attempts by everyone though

Anyway, I took Nyquil last night and slept through the night with no coughing for the first time in a month. I might go that route for a few days to see if it helps me recover.

I am planning on a short run tomorrow morning. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

2014-01-28 6:56 AM

User image

Enjoyed reading your bio, CHRIS!    I know the area you live in because we lived in Maryland for 18 years and still have family in Chesapeake Beach.  That's a beautiful location and a perfect spot for captaining a charter boat.  You're a smart man to name Cindy the Admiral.        Instead of "thinking" of doing a sprint tri on the Naval base, you just need to sign up and DO IT!  .  From the look of your fitness on your Garmin site, you'll be able to complete it easily and then you'll probably LOVE it and for sure you'll sign up for the longer one in the fall.    It only takes one triathlon for the passion to set in.  It happened to all of us on here.   

Glad you were able to get some relief from Nyquil, VERO and hoping you're able to kick this sickness out quickly.

WILL -  After picking up "End of the Spear" I realized I'd watched it before years ago.  Wow - what a story!   How cool that you're going in the same area but not having to worry about hostility.   Just neat that kids in your youth group want to go.   Did you decide to pull the plug and sign up for the race after your trip?

Sorry, I'm no help to you on your bike, MATT.   I'm so looking forward to racing with you at Mohigan. 

Another day of no school here.  Our thermometer showed -15.3 when I got up this morn.   Brutal!   Although I don't have trainerroad and all the Sufferfest videos I still plan on doing 9 days straight of biking on my trainer to kind of keep up with you all.   I did Local Hero the other day, DEREK and liked/hated it.    I was a sweaty mess.  Thanks for the recommendation.

Seeing some of you do two-a-days raised the question in my mind whether it's better to do one long workout in the morn or divide it up?  Is there a benefit to that?   I can make it happen but it works better in my life to do one long workout.

Have a terrific Tuesday everyone!

2014-01-28 8:11 AM

User image

Originally posted by bswcpa

Enjoyed reading your bio, CHRIS!    I know the area you live in because we lived in Maryland for 18 years and still have family in Chesapeake Beach.  That's a beautiful location and a perfect spot for captaining a charter boat.  You're a smart man to name Cindy the Admiral.        Instead of "thinking" of doing a sprint tri on the Naval base, you just need to sign up and DO IT!  .  From the look of your fitness on your Garmin site, you'll be able to complete it easily and then you'll probably LOVE it and for sure you'll sign up for the longer one in the fall.    It only takes one triathlon for the passion to set in.  It happened to all of us on here.   

Thanks Brenda! Not too many people know where Chesapeake Beach is, I am about 20 miles of there, in a little town called Solomons Island. Where did you live in Maryland?

I have not competed in my first triathlon, but the bug has already bitten me. I like the training, even though I am not on a fixed training plan yet. Currently, I pick the event (s) that I am training for on a particular day by the weather and my schedule. I like the flexibility training in multiple events gives me.

I feel good about my cycling and running, it is the swimming that I need to figure out. Does any recommend a strategy for improving your stroke? Maybe a book or drill?

2014-01-28 12:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Originally posted by JeffY

LOL It worked cuz my speed sensor said so hahahaha you know I am slow on the bike so when a reading says 20 I'll take it even if it is just psychological

Edited by Jo63 2014-01-28 12:49 PM
2014-01-28 12:10 PM
in reply to: Jo63

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Welcome Chris!!!
2014-01-28 1:27 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by bswcpa

Glad you were able to get some relief from Nyquil, VERO and hoping you're able to kick this sickness out quickly.

WILL -  After picking up "End of the Spear" I realized I'd watched it before years ago.  Wow - what a story!   How cool that you're going in the same area but not having to worry about hostility.   Just neat that kids in your youth group want to go.   Did you decide to pull the plug and sign up for the race after your trip?

Sorry, I'm no help to you on your bike, MATT.   I'm so looking forward to racing with you at Mohigan. 

Another day of no school here.  Our thermometer showed -15.3 when I got up this morn.   Brutal!   Although I don't have trainerroad and all the Sufferfest videos I still plan on doing 9 days straight of biking on my trainer to kind of keep up with you all.   I did Local Hero the other day, DEREK and liked/hated it.    I was a sweaty mess.  Thanks for the recommendation.

Seeing some of you do two-a-days raised the question in my mind whether it's better to do one long workout in the morn or divide it up?  Is there a benefit to that?   I can make it happen but it works better in my life to do one long workout.

Have a terrific Tuesday everyone!

Brenda I have the same issue with training. During the week it's evenings only so I can't split up my workouts. I think there might be some benefit to being able to say run in the morning and bike in the evening. You'll be doing it on a fresher legs with the rest in between so you can probably do it with more intensity and for a longer length of time with having some recovery time in between. I'm currently doing the Endurance Nation Outseason plan and they recommend trying to break up the bike/run workouts like morning and afternoon or evening. It you decide to do them as a brick they cut the run workouts to a shorter duration of time. I believe they also recommendi doing some of this for their IM training plans as well for the same reasons being fresher and having some recovery time in between.
2014-01-28 4:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

We mostly lived in Germantown, CHRIS, so further north of you.  Aside from the traffic around DC I came to love the state - mountains, beaches, rich culture.   It has everything and I really do miss it.    My hubby goes back at least once a year and fishes with a buddy.  Last time they fished the Chesapeake and had good success.   I'll keep you in mind if we come for a longer visit  - chartering your boat would be fun!       On the swim question.   That's my weakest area also so I won't be much help.    There's a couple places that the folks on here generally guide someone who asks that question - 1) To the Swim Smooth website here:  http://www.swimsmooth.com/  and  2)  To Swim Speed Secrets website here:  http://swimspeedsecrets.com/   I recently purchased the Swim Speed workouts and like them very much although I haven't increased my speed yet.      (I'm just in week 3, though, so I won't beat myself up too much).   DIRK is our resident swim speedster (actually everything speedster), so he'll give you some good tips.

JOANNE - you make me laugh.  Take the 20 mph and go with it!   You got this, girl!

TONY - how was your swimming after your tough mental workout weekend?  Good job on that, by the way!  And thanks for your insight into the two-a-days.  That makes sense.

Edited by bswcpa 2014-01-28 4:47 PM
2014-01-28 5:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Chris welcome, glad to have you on the team. I'm no Michael Phelps but I'll try and offer any advice I can. I'm sure if you keep with total immersion you will see big improvements.Matt, is your seat level? I had a problem with sliding off the front. When I brought it in for a fit it turns out it was nose down a few degrees. Made all the difference. Brenda, glad you liked Local Hero. Did stage 4 of the Tour last night with Hell a Hath No Fury, all I can say it the women in that video can race! That was tough.So after 4 stages my legs are feeling the burn. These next few rides are going to be tough I think.

2014-01-28 7:40 PM
in reply to: BigDaddyD79

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Brenda thanks for asking and I have to admit I was really tired yesterday and if wasn't for the pool having an open swim and no classes all day I might have taken a rest day. Monday is the best day to go to the pool usually less crowded so I did go and it wasn't that bad. I missed the 4 pm crowd, had my own lane and didn't drown or make the lifeguard leave his seat to rescue me so I count that as a positive swim I almost didn't workout this evening either I was pretty tired as well but I went ahead and got the bike/run brick in and it wound up being a decent workout. I'm thinking I should get to bed earlier the rest of the week. BTW don't give up on the swim improvements you're trying to make, it may take a little time but you may get the pay off you're looking for.

JoAnne x2 on your recent gains in speed, 20 mph is 20 mph. I think we'd all take that any day.

Derek glad to see you are still alive and fairing well on the tour. You know what they say what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

Chris I'm totally going to defer on the swim advice. I'm a terriible swimmer myself and am thinking for me to really improve I'll need to get serious and go get a coach and more instruction. I will say swim smooth and total immersion are good tools though and I've checked out both for helping to try and improve my swimming.
2014-01-28 7:57 PM
in reply to: BigDaddyD79

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Originally posted by BigDaddyD79Chris welcome, glad to have you on the team. I'm no Michael Phelps but I'll try and offer any advice I can. I'm sure if you keep with total immersion you will see big improvements.Matt, is your seat level? I had a problem with sliding off the front. When I brought it in for a fit it turns out it was nose down a few degrees. Made all the difference. Brenda, glad you liked Local Hero. Did stage 4 of the Tour last night with Hell a Hath No Fury, all I can say it the women in that video can race! That was tough.So after 4 stages my legs are feeling the burn. These next few rides are going to be tough I think.
Stage 4 and I am starting to falter, Hell hath no fury is just a brutalride. It seems like you are at such a high effort for so long that it is never going to end. There were a few times I was looking forward to the rest section only to realize the rest section was still at %100 FTP! Then to throw in that last interval is just pure evil, I barely was able to push the effort and reach target, I am also pretty sure that I may have damaged my spleen! If I did I'm pretty sure I will spit it out during tomorrow's stage.

I think stage 7 will be the breaker though, if I make it that far.

oh! and I will reconfirm my seat level, that's a good suggestion.
2014-01-28 8:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Chris, 80 lbs and a marathon, that is just awesome. I am always in awe of people that run marathons, that is such a long distance and the effort required is crazy. Which is why I stick to half marathons.
2014-01-28 10:03 PM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

Hey everyone,
I spent last week in Florida and got to run outdoors 4 times (in shorts), and swim outdoors 3 times.    It was awesome and amazing.  Then, I had to come home.  I'm trying to take this polar vortex thing in stride, but I'm ready to be able to get out on the trails!  I've been able to maintain a bit of a base in swimming, and a solid base for my run, but my biking has been pretty non-existent.  No worries.....plenty of time!  I've been doing a lot of yoga this winter and enjoying it very much.  I will probably continue with it through February and then take a break to free up more time for my other training. 

I'm signed up for a very hilly trail half marathon at the beginning of April.  4,000 feet of elevation change.  Any suggestions on how to prepare for run hills when I don't have any hills to train on?  I'm thinking I should spend some time on the stair climber.  Thoughts?

Chris,  welcome to the group.  Congrats on your weight loss and your marathon.  Love your enthusiasm.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 32

RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 17, 2011
author : Anderleka
Top suggestions for making the most of your off-season.
date : December 7, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
By gradually running for increasingly longer periods on a softer surface, you will learn the technique and come to realize the benefits in injury prevention and speed.

date : October 23, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their run. The athlete must be able to run for at least 1 hour and should be able to complete 4 weekly run sessions.
date : October 2, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 1
So which one is best for you? It boils down to the aforementioned questions only you can answer and, ultimately, to what extent you will use it as a tool for winter cycling fitness.

date : January 30, 2005
author : Glenn
Many of us do not enjoy the ‘pleasures’ of training on a stationery trainer. “Boring”, ”mind-numbing”, “a drag” are three phrases often associated with indoor trainers.