BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2014-01-22 2:23 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED)

Welcome Colleen and Kate!   It's really exciting to be a part of these new journeys!  We all have to start somewhere, the important thing is to start, right?  Glad to have you two in the group!

2014-01-22 2:31 PM
in reply to: Jynxy

User image

Elite

A person can really drive him/herself crazy with nutritional data.  My rule of thumb when looking at snacks is low sugar and high protein. Now if it's pre/post hard training--I might choose just a carb source (banana, applesauce, etc).  Low sugar/high protein are the snacks that work best for me in the afternoons and hold me over until dinner. However,  rather than bars I go for an apple and a handful of almonds.  Or a banana and a couple ounces of turkey jerky.  In a pinch I grab a Larabar--don't know if they are available to you, however.

I do log my food on myfitnesspal.  That has been instrumental for me keeping my diet on track.  I like to look at the overall result of my nutrition choices at the end of the day.  I get a nice little pie graph showing % fat/carb/protein.  I can also look at total numbers as well.  As long as I hit my targets, I'm happy! 

2014-01-22 9:11 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: McFuzz's New Athlete Group (AJAR)

Originally posted by ingleshteechur

I put my helmet/sunglasses on my bike seat.  I place my bike shoes and socks under the bike along with a tank top/tech shirt (depending on weather) with the race bib already pinned on. I'll unvelcro my bike shoes so they're ready to be put on quickly. Under my wetsuit I wear a sports bra and bike shorts.  Next, I set out my running shoes, hat and fuel belt already loaded with a water bottle and GU (if it's longer than a sprint distance) and my race watch.  My bike already has a water bottle loaded on it as well. That's pretty much it! 

I am doing a good job of focusing on my training and keeping a positive outlook, but I have this one question constantly creeping in the back of my mind so I thought I might as well ask and put it to rest!

What do I wear?!  (I know life changing question, right?)

I do not have a wetsuit or anything like that. I could get one if you all recommend it. If I just wear a swim suit, how do I modify it for running? More than likely the water is going to be cold. I live in Northern Ohio so the water will be cold even in August probably. I figure once I get started the cold will be the last thing I am thinking about though so I just need to figure out the best plan.

Edited by annplumley 2014-01-22 9:13 PM
2014-01-23 5:43 AM

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

Well today was kind of a bummer. I'm not much of a morning person but everyday I wake up at 6 AM. I got an almost 4 year old alarm that has a biological clock set at 6 AM And due to a shortage of sleep and work related stuff, I decided to take a small nap after I brought the kid to school. I had time enough afterwards to train before I had to go to work. But my partner did a bad move and her neck got stuck so we had to go to the doctor. So here I am, just back from the doctor and in half an hour I have to go to work. Oh well, better luck next time.

PS. the misses is more or less fine.

2014-01-23 5:57 AM
in reply to: Tridimi

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
@tridimi Things like that will happen, try not to let it get to you. There's always stretching as well, I'm trying to incorporate stretching into my daily practice, not least to make me able to sit better on the bike and swim better. I do thin throughout to day so when things like that happen you can spend a few minutes practicing the stretching (depending on how embarassed your missus might be at the prospect of you doing that in public!). Hope she continues well.
2014-01-23 6:11 AM
in reply to: annplumley

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Originally posted by annplumley

I do not have a wetsuit or anything like that. I could get one if you all recommend it. If I just wear a swim suit, how do I modify it for running? More than likely the water is going to be cold. I live in Northern Ohio so the water will be cold even in August probably. I figure once I get started the cold will be the last thing I am thinking about though so I just need to figure out the best plan.

How long do you have to swim for? How to you react to cold? Cold water is tolerable but it's no good if you cramp half way through. Sometimes you can hire wetsuits for a race or a season but ideally you should try it before you race in it if you're going to use it. Other than that I'm a tall girl so I sorry about separates (a top and a pair of shorts) separating in the middle and displaying to the world just that part of me that I most don't want the world to see, what's worse it might happen on the bike when I have little control over it!! So I suck it up and wear a tri suit with a bra underneath and a jacket/gilet/Tshirt depending on the weather.

Kate

2014-01-23 7:03 AM

User image

I'm really enjoying getting inspires from people- thanks to you all, it helps!!

The cold has been pretty draining. I'm keeping up with my training, but the food control has gone right out the window! I suppose if I had to loose control somewhere, that's slightly better than skipping running for a week! I think the combo of the exercise revving my body to think more calories, and the cold doing the same has made it hard not to eat all the things!!!!

I'll get it back, I just need the house to get warm. wood stove is doing it's level best, but its fighting a hard battle.
2014-01-23 7:22 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Let's hope it isn't a "life changing question" but it can still be a source of stress. 

For any race short of an IM (or a few HIM's) there isn't usually a place to change and whild nudity might be appreciated, it is officially discouraged.  Plan to swim-bike-run in the same outfit more or less. 

Try riding and running in your swimsuit.  I did my first two tri's wearing swim trunks.  If your suit doesn't bind or chafe while you ride/run and it provides enough support (maybe add a tech-fiber sports bra), you can complete a sprint tri wearing a swimsuit.  You might pull a pair of bike shorts over your suit and pull on a t-shirt if comfort/modesty dictate.  Before you completely commit to the swimsuit option, try riding while it's wet (it may behave differently when wet...)  If the swimsuit doesn't work, you'll want to get either a one-piece tri-suit or tri-shorts and some kind of tri-top.  Tri-shorts have a thin pad for cycling that doesn't absorb water during the swim and doesn't interfere too much with running.  Tri-tops should fit tight enough that you can swim in them without creating a significant amount of drag and then ride/run in them as well.  They may offer more support than a swimsuit, but maybe not enough.   Whether you can find a 1-piece suit that fits you well or not may dictate whether you get a one-piece or a two-piece outfit, but you'll probably want to go this route for an OLY or HIM. 

How well do you deal with cold water?  This is primarily a matter of personal preference as some people can swim in 73F water without a wetsuit and others won't.  For a sprint, you're probably looking at 10-25 minutes in the water and once you're really swimming, you won't feel cold.  (For reference, swimming pools are often 76-84F depending on the clientel.  Pools catering to competitive swimming will be 76-78F while those catering to water aerobics often 82-84.  Swimming competitively in 83F water is pretty hard, comparable to running on a humid, 88F afternoon.  Even with a wetsuit, the first couple minutes will feel very cold because the wetsuit works by trapping a thin layer of water between you and the wetsuit.  That water is initially cold, but your body heat warms it up quickly. 

2014-01-23 7:26 AM
in reply to: el penguino

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Hang in there Nancy.  Are you able to "lose control" with healthy foods instead of junk food?  I can tell you that when I first changed my lifestyle to lose weight (late 2004 and early 2005) we chose not to purchase junk food because if it was in the house, I would eat it.  Cookies?  Gone!  Chips?  Gone!  Ice Cream?  Gone.  The boys grumbled about why they had to "sacrifice" because I wanted to lose weight, but we all got over it.  I have a lot more discipline now, so I occasionally have each of these in the house.  

2014-01-23 9:02 AM

User image

Originally posted by McFuzz

Hang in there Nancy.  Are you able to "lose control" with healthy foods instead of junk food?  I can tell you that when I first changed my lifestyle to lose weight (late 2004 and early 2005) we chose not to purchase junk food because if it was in the house, I would eat it.  Cookies?  Gone!  Chips?  Gone!  Ice Cream?  Gone.  The boys grumbled about why they had to "sacrifice" because I wanted to lose weight, but we all got over it.  I have a lot more discipline now, so I occasionally have each of these in the house.  

Nope. cookies!! and frutcake. We jsut came back from our family Christmas, and I got the leftover non-gluten free cookies- we are the only gluten eating family left that was there. So a little more availabiilty than usual. My husband is one of those annoying people who love cookies and sweets, and has a fast metabolism to boot. I know its partly because it is there, but more likely because of the cold and tired. I can get it back, I just need to get my focus back on eating healthy.
2014-01-23 10:19 AM

User image

Elite

I put my helmet/sunglasses on my bike seat.  I place my bike shoes and socks under the bike along with a tank top/tech shirt (depending on weather) with the race bib already pinned on. I'll unvelcro my bike shoes so they're ready to be put on quickly. Under my wetsuit I wear a sports bra and bike shorts.  Next, I set out my running shoes, hat and fuel belt already loaded with a water bottle and GU (if it's longer than a sprint distance) and my race watch.  My bike already has a water bottle loaded on it as well. That's pretty much it! 

I am doing a good job of focusing on my training and keeping a positive outlook, but I have this one question constantly creeping in the back of my mind so I thought I might as well ask and put it to rest!

You've received some great responses on this question.  The first few tris I did I wore a swimsuit and tri shorts under my wetsuit, then just biked and ran in swimsuit and tri shorts.  Not knowing how, um, 'endowed' you are, this may or may not work for you.  A quick note--you definitely want tri shorts--not bike shorts.  The padding in bike shorts is very thick and will absorb all the water making for a very uncomfortable ride.  Tri shorts can be spendy, but you can find deals and they are well worth the price.  I found wearing my suit under my tri shorts just wasn't that comfortable on the bike due to the seams of the suit. I switched to just wearing a sports bra and tri shorts under the wetsuit.  When I come into T1 and pull wetsuit down around my waist, I throw on the tanktop that I'll wear the rest of the race.

2014-01-23 10:24 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by el penguino

Nope. cookies!! and frutcake. We jsut came back from our family Christmas, and I got the leftover non-gluten free cookies- we are the only gluten eating family left that was there. So a little more availabiilty than usual. My husband is one of those annoying people who love cookies and sweets, and has a fast metabolism to boot. I know its partly because it is there, but more likely because of the cold and tired. I can get it back, I just need to get my focus back on eating healthy.

Ok...was this self-inflicted?  If the rest of the family has gone gluten-free, who's bringing non-gluten-free stuff to the gathering?  You?  If it isn't you, why are the rest not bringing what they'd eat themselves?  This might be something to discuss with the family prior to the next gathering. 

Stock up on healthy snacks and send the rest of the "bad" food with your husband who can burn it off.  (OK...stash 3 or 4 cookies for yourself...)

2014-01-23 11:49 AM

User image

nah, it was my mom- you know how moms are at Christmas, making cookies for everyone. Plus my kids really appreciate the cookies too. I just need to keep my hands out. You have a good diea, though- the cookies are now officially DH's property and he can share with the kids, I'll keep the fruitcake as an occasional treat- somehow my dad's fruitcake is the best. I can't stand anyone else's but he makes me one every year and I love it! (I think he likes that I beg for it every year too- Christmas tradition)

Onward to getting a run in on the treadmill tonight!

Edited by el penguino 2014-01-23 11:51 AM
2014-01-23 12:48 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Thanks Nancy. 

Maybe you and the siblings get together with your mom and explain that while cookies are appreciated, your gluten-free sibs are giving all of her cookies to your family.  Your siblings can be challenged to provide mom with some acceptable gluten-free recipes? 

I like fruitcake too.  Mom usually makes a few for the holidays. 

2014-01-23 1:10 PM

User image

Thanks Nancy. 

Maybe you and the siblings get together with your mom and explain that while cookies are appreciated, your gluten-free sibs are giving all of her cookies to your family.  Your siblings can be challenged to provide mom with some acceptable gluten-free recipes? 

just to finish off the tangent- she's way ahead of you. She made gluten cookies for us and gluten free for the rest of them. Everyone gets them! And normally I don't mind, its just this on top of the cold, on top of the finally getting in shape, and family Christmas happened late this year, so my defenses were down, admittedly.

Luckily, Christmas doesn't happen again for about 11 months. I'll be good.
2014-01-23 3:53 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Thanks Nancy. 

just to finish off the tangent- she's way ahead of you. She made gluten cookies for us and gluten free for the rest of them. Everyone gets them! And normally I don't mind, its just this on top of the cold, on top of the finally getting in shape, and family Christmas happened late this year, so my defenses were down, admittedly. Luckily, Christmas doesn't happen again for about 11 months. I'll be good.

Is it good that I'm almost as smart as your mother to come up with the same solution she's already doing? 

2014-01-24 2:56 PM
in reply to: ingleshteechur

User image

You've received some great responses on this question.  The first few tris I did I wore a swimsuit and tri shorts under my wetsuit, then just biked and ran in swimsuit and tri shorts.  Not knowing how, um, 'endowed' you are, this may or may not work for you.  A quick note--you definitely want tri shorts--not bike shorts.  The padding in bike shorts is very thick and will absorb all the water making for a very uncomfortable ride.  Tri shorts can be spendy, but you can find deals and they are well worth the price.  I found wearing my suit under my tri shorts just wasn't that comfortable on the bike due to the seams of the suit. I switched to just wearing a sports bra and tri shorts under the wetsuit.  When I come into T1 and pull wetsuit down around my waist, I throw on the tanktop that I'll wear the rest of the race.

Thank you for all your responses. I am planning on doing a sprint length and have no idea how cold I can tolerate! I will look in to some of the options you suggested. I appreciate all the feedback!

2014-01-24 3:19 PM

User image

question: I was looking at training plans, and I see some are HR (Heart rate?) and some are RPE. What does RPE stand for?

I have to psych myself up for my long run this weekend. The weather is awful- cold and windy and snowy, but I just can't do 6 miles on the treadmill so out I go. Do you think 20s and snowy and windy or low teens and windy, no snow sounds better? I'm leaning towards warmer and snowy and windy. Even if I have to dodge snowplows. I hope not.
2014-01-24 5:22 PM

User image

Chelmsford, England

question: I was looking at training plans, and I see some are HR (Heart rate?) and some are RPE. What does RPE stand for?

I have to psych myself up for my long run this weekend. The weather is awful- cold and windy and snowy, but I just can't do 6 miles on the treadmill so out I go. Do you think 20s and snowy and windy or low teens and windy, no snow sounds better? I'm leaning towards warmer and snowy and windy. Even if I have to dodge snowplows. I hope not.

ooh I know this one.

it is Borg scale for Relative Perceived Exertion

as I remember it is from 6 - 20. 6 being very very easy and 20 being very very hard. and all the rest inbetween
2014-01-24 6:56 PM

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

Let"s psych up together. Allthough there is no snow here, i'm pretty sure it will be windy, rainy and cold. But I really need to get out again because this week has been problematic. First have to finish this night shift, get some sleep and hopefully have slept enough to do a little running.

2014-01-25 10:53 AM

User image

Chelmsford, England
well i've had an eventful few days, after Fridays bike I noticed the back tyre was a little underflatted (its amazing how much of a difference it makes). I thought I would just put some air in and that would be that, ohh no life is just not that easy. I take my brand new bontrager pump off the bike and connect it when I hear the air coming out of the pump handle, so I know have a flat tyre and no pump to use. luckily I was due my first service on the bike this week so I drove the 45miles to the bike shop and have a chat to them there about my concerns for the bike. "from 3rd to 4th gear its very clunky never goes straight in", "the brakes are catching a little now"," I now have a flat tyre because my brand new pump leaks".

everything is now fixed 'fingers crossed' and I will be taking it out again tomorrow for 7 miles. while I was at the shop I picked up a beast of a pump to keep at home, i'm just glad that I didn't get a flat while I was out and about.

2014-01-25 11:41 AM

User image

Originally posted by Tridimi

Let"s psych up together. Allthough there is no snow here, i'm pretty sure it will be windy, rainy and cold. But I really need to get out again because this week has been problematic. First have to finish this night shift, get some sleep and hopefully have slept enough to do a little running.

I did it! ran 6.3 miles, in the wind, 18F and snow (just a little). Now, your turn!! It was SOOOOOOO nice to get outside.
2014-01-25 2:23 PM

User image

Elite

Nicely done!  Taking that first step out into the cold is usually the worst part!  The mental toughness that is built though, is worth every step.

I am going to try to take the advice I'd give to anyone in my position.  I'm battling a cold but have continued to train, although I have modified the lengths of my workouts.  Did 2 hours/32 miles on the trainer this am (16 mph is definitely on the slow side for me) so I know I have a decrease in energy.  I have promised myself that if tomorrow morning I wake up feeling cruddy I'm taking the day completely off to rest.  Sticking to that will be tough.  I hate having to slow down, but I also know it's a signal from my body saying "Whoooaaaa, Nelly!"

2014-01-25 3:09 PM

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

Originally posted by Tridimi

I did it! ran 6.3 miles, in the wind, 18F and snow (just a little). Now, your turn!! It was SOOOOOOO nice to get outside.

I accept my loss hahaha :D

No, the plan today was to do some family time this afternoon, get home, put the kid to bed and do a little run. Alas things ran quite differently. It was already 6pm when we got home. I had to make dinner (Home-made French Fries ). At 7:10pm I forgot i had to pick up a chalk board we bought second hand. It was a 45min drive to get there (it was so cheap it was worth the ride). So by the time I got back, it was 9pm and well, I really don't want to get out that late for a run... Especially now.

I don't know how you all feel about it but when you have a training plan in your mind at the beginning of the week and everything starts to fall apart, I sometimes have problems to get back up and get motivated. And I have a very rational mind also. And it says, monday is a new week, so forget about your plans, start again on Monday :-/. Something new can never start in the middle of the week! Thats blasphemy in my mind

PS I'm not crazy. I just hear little voices in my head.

Edited by Tridimi 2014-01-25 3:09 PM
2014-01-25 4:04 PM

Way to go Nancy. Just too cold for me. I worked out inside
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 21

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me) Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37999 Posts: 779

2014-05-23 8:02 PM Pink Socks

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : January 1, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
With the coming of the New Year, athletes commonly think about making nutrition resolutions. Good thing, given only 3 to 4% of Americans follow all of the established Dietary Guidelines.
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.
date : January 24, 2005
author : Michael
I heard an athletic trainer say that in life we have many setbacks. The key is to overcome these setbacks, but the question is how?

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.