BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly Focus Group - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2014-06-17 3:01 PM
in reply to: marriedthepoolguy

New user
Subject: RE: Dominion's Sprint/Oly Focus Group - OPEN
I LOVE that you chicked the Clydesdales! You go girl!

2014-06-17 3:07 PM
in reply to: kmstig

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by kmstig You can be a great athlete, in great shape, and still feel like you are drowning after one lap in the pool. Swimming is the most technical of the three disciplines, so they tell me, and seems as if it is the biggest challenge for the majority of triathletes. So first, give yourself a break on this and don't expect the same performance level out the gate as your bike/run. Second, and I'm not the fastest but I'm a decent swimmer, breath on every stoke except when you switch sides if you do breath on both sides. Oxygen is your friend.

I will add, just to make sure you are exhaling into the water.  You should not be holding your breath at any time.  Breath on every stroke and exhale when your face is in the water.

2014-06-17 3:18 PM

User image

Americus, Georgia
Originally posted by kmstig

I LOVE that you chicked the Clydesdales! You go girl!

LOL! Thanks!!!
2014-06-17 3:19 PM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Americus, Georgia
Originally posted by Dominion

I will add, just to make sure you are exhaling into the water.  You should not be holding your breath at any time.  Breath on every stroke and exhale when your face is in the water.

And he means FULLY exhale! Not just a little, but ALL of it. It will make you appreciate that next breath a lot more, and reduce the feeling of hyperventilating.
2014-06-17 8:18 PM
in reply to: #5012376

User image

Rjchild if your results are typical than I'm a million miles away from ever being even a ok swimmer: (
1700yds in 10sessions??? Even if it took 32mins I would give a damn I would be happy!!

Thanks for the swim workouts marriedapoolguy!!

And if I'm breathing every stroke how can I have proper head position? Also it's hard to breathe out every bit of air for every stroke so I'll do every other stroke I think even that's hard to breathe it all out.

Dumb question is a stroke count each hand is one stroke or both hands is one stroke?: )
Is that a newb question or what.. Haha
2014-06-17 8:52 PM
in reply to: #5013846

Hi all! I'm on vacation this week, but have still gotten a couple of workouts in at least. We stayed at a friend's lake house for two days, and I spent an hour or so swimming in OW. It's hard having no idea how far you've gone, and I couldn't really do the sets of shorter swims that I normally do in the pool. Our local races are mostly in small lakes or ponds though, so I'm sure it was good practice.

I've always been a swimmer, but it's hard to offer tips over the internet. Technique is really important - otherwise you expend a ton of energy, and it doesn't help you go any faster. Even one session with a coach/instructor (or friend with a swim team background) would probably be a good investment. Don't worry about speed right now, try instead to concentrate of efficient strokes. Check out some websites and watch videos, and once you get a little more comfortable a kick board and pull buoy will become your friends - it's easier to work on technique if you isolate one or the other. I couldn't imagine breathing on every stroke, but every other is totally fine. I usually do every 3rd for distance swims. The main thing is not to hold it so long that lactate builds up. Can you do the breaststroke? Many people find it takes less energy than freestyle, and if you switch to that when you get tired, it may help you go a little farther. Good luck with your training!

Marriedthepoolguy, congrats on your race! I hope you kicked all those Clydesdales' as$es, that would have pissed me off too, lol.

2014-06-17 9:17 PM

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
During my learning curve on the swim, breathing was definitely something that required some effort and attention. I know during my first few swims I was holding my breath. It definitely took some time for me to convince myself to exhale under water. I have a fear of drowning and it took a concerted effort to overcome that and get myself to exhale while face down in the water, especially when I started to feel fatigued. But once I started doing that, then I started to develop a rhythm to my breathing. When I'm really in the zone, I even find myself humming a little as I exhale.
I think the only other thing that I felt helped me was to stay calm. Feeling stressed would cause my chest to tighten and made it harder to breathe. I tried to be mindful of this, especially during times when I was giving max effort or when I was first getting accustomed to sharing a lane at the pool and would have to cross paths with another swimmer.

Swimming is tough. It isn't like the bike or run where you can just stop and catch your breath. You can't coast down hill or run by a water station. But if you take some time to understand what goes into being a good swimmer, then I thin you'll find that the results will come.
2014-06-17 9:30 PM
in reply to: rodzilla

User image

Originally posted by rodzilla

Rjchild if your results are typical than I'm a million miles away from ever being even a ok swimmer: (
1700yds in 10sessions??? Even if it took 32mins I would give a damn I would be happy!!

Thanks for the swim workouts marriedapoolguy!!

And if I'm breathing every stroke how can I have proper head position? Also it's hard to breathe out every bit of air for every stroke so I'll do every other stroke I think even that's hard to breathe it all out.

Dumb question is a stroke count each hand is one stroke or both hands is one stroke?: )
Is that a newb question or what.. Haha

rodzilla, I'm not sure what is typical, that's just what I was able to accomplish. I wish I had been able to do 1700 meters in 32:00, but that was the time for my 1000 meters. The 1700 meters was at a very slow/deliberate pace and it took me something like 58:00. More than anything, I just wanted you to know that you can make gains relatively quickly if you are using the right form. I would really encourage you to do some research and find out what an efficient swimming stroke looks like. There are many aspects to it (body rotation, high elbow "catch", the wrist cups at the top of the stroke, the elbow is slightly bent during the stroke, fingers are slightly open, and more).

I don't mean to dismiss anyone else's suggestion, but I would like to respectfully disagree with the "breathe every stroke" suggestion. Like you said, you couldn't possibly have the proper head position. Essentially, your head would be out of the water the entire time. Perhaps they meant every other stroke (for example, breathe every time your stroke is made with the right hand, but not the left)? Personally, I like bilateral breathing on every 3rd stroke. From what I've read, one of the only real negatives to breathing to a single side is that it can make it harder to sight during an OWS (open water swim). I know for my event in August that all of the buoys are on the left side, so during my swims I have been tossing in an occasional breath on the 4th stroke (to sight to my left). Ultimately, I think it's probably just whatever you feel comfortable with.

(swim_stroke_points.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
swim_stroke_points.jpg (67KB - 2 downloads)
2014-06-18 1:01 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
Originally posted by rjchilds8
I don't mean to dismiss anyone else's suggestion, but I would like to respectfully disagree with the "breathe every stroke" suggestion.

I'm just guessing, but I think "breathe every stroke" means breathe in on one stroke and breathe out under water on the next? I'm not sure it means breathe in on every stroke as that would pretty much be hyperventilating. I'm still working on the bilateral breathing for the longer distances, which would be breathing in on one stroke, and breathing out on two.

I watched a lot of YouTube videos to work on my technique and learn how to swim better, and still do. Not only can I swim a lot further than I used to be able to, but I can also swim a lot faster. I wish I could find a good swim coach here in the backwoods of Mayberry RFD as I kind of feel I've reached the limit of self-taught swimming, but no luck.

What's funny is for me the hardest discipline by far is running. I've never been a runner, even as a child, and it is definitely not something that comes naturally to me.

Edited by burner2 2014-06-18 1:04 AM
2014-06-18 7:14 AM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by rodzilla Rjchild if your results are typical than I'm a million miles away from ever being even a ok swimmer: ( 1700yds in 10sessions??? Even if it took 32mins I would give a damn I would be happy!! Thanks for the swim workouts marriedapoolguy!! And if I'm breathing every stroke how can I have proper head position? Also it's hard to breathe out every bit of air for every stroke so I'll do every other stroke I think even that's hard to breathe it all out. Dumb question is a stroke count each hand is one stroke or both hands is one stroke?: ) Is that a newb question or what.. Haha
rodzilla, I'm not sure what is typical, that's just what I was able to accomplish. I wish I had been able to do 1700 meters in 32:00, but that was the time for my 1000 meters. The 1700 meters was at a very slow/deliberate pace and it took me something like 58:00. More than anything, I just wanted you to know that you can make gains relatively quickly if you are using the right form. I would really encourage you to do some research and find out what an efficient swimming stroke looks like. There are many aspects to it (body rotation, high elbow "catch", the wrist cups at the top of the stroke, the elbow is slightly bent during the stroke, fingers are slightly open, and more). I don't mean to dismiss anyone else's suggestion, but I would like to respectfully disagree with the "breathe every stroke" suggestion. Like you said, you couldn't possibly have the proper head position. Essentially, your head would be out of the water the entire time. Perhaps they meant every other stroke (for example, breathe every time your stroke is made with the right hand, but not the left)? Personally, I like bilateral breathing on every 3rd stroke. From what I've read, one of the only real negatives to breathing to a single side is that it can make it harder to sight during an OWS (open water swim). I know for my event in August that all of the buoys are on the left side, so during my swims I have been tossing in an occasional breath on the 4th stroke (to sight to my left). Ultimately, I think it's probably just whatever you feel comfortable with.

Yes, to the bolded above.  I should have been more clear.  If you are breathing on your right side, then breath "every stroke" of your right hand.  Every time you right arm comes over the top, you should be rotating your head (preferably as part of an upper torso rotation) to breath. Rotate back to face down during  your pull.  You remain face down exhaling through the pull and then as your left arm stroke is taken.  Repeat. 

By all means you can breath every 3rd stroke, or 4th or 5th, whatever is comfortable to you, but I just find that when swimming hard (ie. it is always what I revert back to during race, so it is how I train) I need the Oxygen intake requiring breathing on every stroke (one sided.)    I hope at least some of this makes sense.  It is somewhat difficult to explain over the internet in a typed message.  I think it just takes practice, and you will "get it" at some point after some trial and error.  It is one of those things that just kind of "clicks" eventually.  To Randy's point, your swim fitness should improve after only a few weeks of regular swimming.  The breathing may take a little longer.  Just remind yourself that nothing has really changed from dry land.  You breath in, you breath out.  You just have to find the rhythm to it.  Once you have it, it's like riding a bike.  

2014-06-18 2:49 PM
in reply to: #4996689

User image

Thanks for all the replys!!! I actually had a decent swim today did a couple 150s a 125 quite a few 100s and a ton of 50s!! Pretty happy with the day consider it's my 6th day in the pool. My breathing is a work in progress I was using the every other stroke mostly but sometimes I forget to breathe out so I get all messed up. I also try and focus on hip rotation and the glide a bit more today so my head has a lot to sort through when I'm swimming.

2014-06-18 3:01 PM

User image

Americus, Georgia

Thanks for all the replys!!! I actually had a decent swim today did a couple 150s a 125 quite a few 100s and a ton of 50s!! Pretty happy with the day consider it's my 6th day in the pool. My breathing is a work in progress I was using the every other stroke mostly but sometimes I forget to breathe out so I get all messed up. I also try and focus on hip rotation and the glide a bit more today so my head has a lot to sort through when I'm swimming.

Great! I would suggest just focus on the breathing for now. Remember: the body will follow the head. i.e. head goes up, butt goes down; head turns left, body rotates left. hip rotation and glide will come as you become more comfortable with breathing. Rock on!!!
J~
2014-06-18 10:52 PM

User image

HELLO - I would like to join your group.

39M CT, USA. M w/ 2 young children 7&6 yo boys. I have completed 3 FM and one ... indoor... Super Sprint? I have signed up for end of July. I feel I am already prepared to do the OLY tomorrow! (ok after a taper) but I feel really good about where I am and am looking to HIM or IM in 2015 if all goes well on race day.

I have lost 40-50 lbs over past 2 yrs to current 203 at 6'2". I could still use to lose 10 lbs, but no hurry to get there. I have done 2 (ha, and I think Im ready?) OWS with local TRI goup. This past Sunday I did a 37 mile loop and felt great. I have already cycled the OLY route - just not in correct order (route starts uphill, ends uphill. I started downhill, ended downhill)

I just ran a 24:00 5K tonight (barefoot). Not a PR tonight, but a great run.

I keep posting newbie questions here on BT and would love to be in a group of like-minded individuals.
2014-06-18 11:10 PM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Personally, I like bilateral breathing on every 3rd stroke. From what I've read, one of the only real negatives to breathing to a single side is that it can make it harder to sight during an OWS (open water swim). I know for my event in August that all of the buoys are on the left side, so during my swims I have been tossing in an occasional breath on the 4th stroke (to sight to my left). Ultimately, I think it's probably just whatever you feel comfortable with.

Hi - Newb here, but my 2c. In pool w/ coach, I tried to bilateral breathe on my own. After few efforts coach told me to forget that for now. Reason I had seen online was it gives you options. If there are waves / wind / arms, you can choose to breathe to the other side easily.

Also at OWS, the coach asked who breathes to the Right. Ok, who breathes to the LEFT? I am working on my swimming and its probably the scariest part of my first TRI, but for now, Im not worrying about bilateral breathing.
2014-06-19 9:24 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by BF JEFF

Personally, I like bilateral breathing on every 3rd stroke. From what I've read, one of the only real negatives to breathing to a single side is that it can make it harder to sight during an OWS (open water swim). I know for my event in August that all of the buoys are on the left side, so during my swims I have been tossing in an occasional breath on the 4th stroke (to sight to my left). Ultimately, I think it's probably just whatever you feel comfortable with.

Hi - Newb here, but my 2c. In pool w/ coach, I tried to bilateral breathe on my own. After few efforts coach told me to forget that for now. Reason I had seen online was it gives you options. If there are waves / wind / arms, you can choose to breathe to the other side easily.

Also at OWS, the coach asked who breathes to the Right. Ok, who breathes to the LEFT? I am working on my swimming and its probably the scariest part of my first TRI, but for now, Im not worrying about bilateral breathing.

You can find plenty of articles online that debate the topic of bilateral breathing vs. only breathing to one side. As I mentioned, one of those issues is sighting. I did see a comment from someone on this site that only breathed to the right side, had an event course with the buoys all on the left side, and said that he went way off course because he couldn't see the buoys. Another issue they bring up is if you only breathe to one side and you come upon a swimmer that is kicking a lot and you are getting water in your face/mouth making it difficult to breathe. If you only breathe to one side, you'll have to slow down and let them pass or speed up and pass them in that situation. If you breathe bilaterally, then you can always turn away from the splashing and not have to change your pace. I am in no way trying to criticize anyone that only breathes to one side. Like I said, I think it ultimately comes down to what you're comfortable with. For me, I like the bilateral breathing on every 3rd stroke. I feel like it helps me get into a good rhythm. It works for me, but it may not work for everyone.

Edited by rjchilds8 2014-06-19 9:33 AM
2014-06-19 10:07 AM
in reply to: burner2

New user
Yes, by breath every stroke I mean every time your arm comes out of the water on one side, not trying to breath to your left and right every time your arm on that side comes out of the water.

2014-06-19 7:40 PM
in reply to: BF JEFF

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by BF JEFF HELLO - I would like to join your group. 39M CT, USA. M w/ 2 young children 7&6 yo boys. I have completed 3 FM and one ... indoor... Super Sprint? I have signed up for end of July. I feel I am already prepared to do the OLY tomorrow! (ok after a taper) but I feel really good about where I am and am looking to HIM or IM in 2015 if all goes well on race day. I have lost 40-50 lbs over past 2 yrs to current 203 at 6'2". I could still use to lose 10 lbs, but no hurry to get there. I have done 2 (ha, and I think Im ready?) OWS with local TRI goup. This past Sunday I did a 37 mile loop and felt great. I have already cycled the OLY route - just not in correct order (route starts uphill, ends uphill. I started downhill, ended downhill) I just ran a 24:00 5K tonight (barefoot). Not a PR tonight, but a great run. I keep posting newbie questions here on BT and would love to be in a group of like-minded individuals.

Welcome to our group Jeff!  If you have questions, ask away, that's what we're here for!

Congrats on the weight loss.  Don't worry about that other 10 pounds.  One thing I have learned about triathlon training is that any excess weight usually comes off on it's own.  No need to worry about it much.  Looking at your logs,  I can tell you are definitely a runner.  Impressive volume there! But, If you are serious about preparing for Olympic distance and Half or Full distance in the near future, I would start to move toward a more balanced training regimen.  Make time for that pool and get the miles in on the bike.  Unless you just have unlimited time (which I'm sure you don't with 2 boys) that will mean cutting back some on your running, but it will get you ready for races with longer distance bikes and swims. 

2014-06-20 7:03 AM

User image

I am by far no expert on swimming, but I know exactly where you are coming from. My very first swim I was exactly where you are, only doing 50m, feeling like the other end of the pool was so far away. After that day, I thought it would take me at least 3 solid months to reach my goal of 600m. Let me say that my only credentials for giving advice are that I was able to increase my distance to 1000m non-stop on just my 7th swim! I don't know if those results are typical, but it was what I was able to achieve on my own with no coaching and no background in swimming.

What I found was that, for me, my swimming technique was more important to performance than in either of the other disciplines. I had a friend tell me that I would really see improvements when I started to "get it" and she was right. I did a lot of online research into learning to swim and breathe with better technique and the results speak for themselves.

In addition to this web site, I found very useful information on www.totalimmersion.net and www.swimsmooth.com. I particularly liked the "Mr. Smooth" app (free) you can download from Swim Smooth. It lets you view an efficient swim stroke from numerous angles and at different speeds. In particular, my swim distance was especially helped by learning to use body rotation to help utilize my larger muscles to propel me through the water for a more efficient stroke. Once I knew that I could comfortably make my event distance, then I could start to focus on improving/fine tuning my technique and increasing my speed.

Hope you find at least a little of this helpful and encouraging!

Well that is encouraging but in only 7 sessions? That would mean this week I would be able to swim 1000yds? Not gunna happen for me . I did do 100yds today but that was a task. A guy told me at the pool today I wasn't breathing enough so that's something more I need to worry about now. I guess I just have to stay the course and keep cracking the whip on myself. It sucks cause I feel I have an above average fitness level with running/bike and my weight training but the swim has humbled me

Rodzilla,

Took me months to be able to go 1000 yards. I started from a zeroish on the fitness scale and was swimming 2-3 times per week initially just for low impact cardio, and then thought a tri would be fun. I was initially swimming 50's and a 100's but I didn't feel like I was making improvements. As I dropped a few pounds I felt like I had to work harder. You look pretty lean. First thing would be to invest in jammers if you haven't done so. Swimming in a regular "beach" bathing suit increases your drag. Sounds silly but there is a huge difference. Toward the end of your distance you wont feel like you are dragging your lower body. I would recommend if you are swimming multiple days a week you develop short, medium, and long days. I think the long days are key. 300 repeats or 500 repeats if you can. I would not try to build your distance to fast because over use injuries of the shoulder seem to be common and this would just set you back (we typically talk about a 10% rule in running, I think the same should apply). Get comfortable going slow. This is tough, but once you do things start to click. Once you are able to due 500 x 2 or 3 you can likely swim a mile if you can get your mind around it. I couldn't. I removed the medium days and tried to do continuous swimming instead increasing the distance by 100 yards each week if I could. Often times I realized I was stopping really only because of time. As workouts got longer I started swimming only twice a week and my distances and times still improved.

Another thing that help me improve the swim was not running or biking immediately before. This allowed we to focus on one activity.

Hope this helps. Take it for what it is. One newby to another newby...
2014-06-20 3:07 PM
in reply to: #4996689

User image

Nepoulin, I have some tight swim shorts on order but they were bought on eBay overseas so I sit and wait for them cause I'm a cheapskate..ha..my swim has improved every time i get in. Today I had a 300,200 a handful of 100s few 50s as well. Things are starting to come together a bit more now. I'll be ready for my swim in a few months for sure
2014-06-20 3:23 PM

User image

Originally posted by Dominion

Looking at your logs,  I can tell you are definitely a runner.  Impressive volume there! But, If you are serious about preparing for Olympic distance and Half or Full distance in the near future, I would start to move toward a more balanced training regimen.  Make time for that pool and get the miles in on the bike.  Unless you just have unlimited time (which I'm sure you don't with 2 boys) that will mean cutting back some on your running, but it will get you ready for races with longer distance bikes and swims. 

Hi Dom. I am really new to the site. Only after finding this forum, did I think it would be a good idea to figure out the logs. I kinda did. I was able to upload what was in my computer (May 15th?) or so. All my sports were listed as "other" and I told it to assume that it was a run. Then I started going back and writing down info for bike rides, entering a new entry, then deleting the old entry. Couldnt figure how to change the sport type from Run.

Anyway, FM end of May. Week later HM. Week later 7.1 race. Most of the 20+ miles in the log are actually bike, but havent gotten around to changing all of them. Also, there is a newer Garmin with an accelerometer that is pretty good at estimating Treadmill run distance. I dont have it. And I lost my foot pod. So, if I have to enter my miles manually every time. I havent gotten around to that (but if its a distance under a mile, thats a swim day).

Ive been streaking for over 200 days with over 1000 run miles. I expect that I will have to do less FM races if working towards HIM or IM. Im already shifting focus towards swim and bike for my upcoming OLY.

Local YMCA TRI group offered something. Today I get a notice that they are doing a practice (Sprint) TRI. Timed, but no awards. Really hoping I can fit it in. It is next week and they put out the notice today?? There are a bunch in the group doing a Sprint July 9th, so this is pretty perfect for them. It will be a good experience for me too since I really havent been swimming in a crowd and havent done all 3 sports in one day very often. They are having music and food afterwards. Seems really worth using a sick day for.
2014-06-20 5:30 PM
in reply to: BF JEFF

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by BF JEFF
Originally posted by Dominion   Looking at your logs,  I can tell you are definitely a runner.  Impressive volume there! But, If you are serious about preparing for Olympic distance and Half or Full distance in the near future, I would start to move toward a more balanced training regimen.  Make time for that pool and get the miles in on the bike.  Unless you just have unlimited time (which I'm sure you don't with 2 boys) that will mean cutting back some on your running, but it will get you ready for races with longer distance bikes and swims. 

Hi Dom. I am really new to the site. Only after finding this forum, did I think it would be a good idea to figure out the logs. I kinda did. I was able to upload what was in my computer (May 15th?) or so. All my sports were listed as "other" and I told it to assume that it was a run. Then I started going back and writing down info for bike rides, entering a new entry, then deleting the old entry. Couldnt figure how to change the sport type from Run. Anyway, FM end of May. Week later HM. Week later 7.1 race. Most of the 20+ miles in the log are actually bike, but havent gotten around to changing all of them. Also, there is a newer Garmin with an accelerometer that is pretty good at estimating Treadmill run distance. I dont have it. And I lost my foot pod. So, if I have to enter my miles manually every time. I havent gotten around to that (but if its a distance under a mile, thats a swim day). Ive been streaking for over 200 days with over 1000 run miles. I expect that I will have to do less FM races if working towards HIM or IM. Im already shifting focus towards swim and bike for my upcoming OLY. Local YMCA TRI group offered something. Today I get a notice that they are doing a practice (Sprint) TRI. Timed, but no awards. Really hoping I can fit it in. It is next week and they put out the notice today?? There are a bunch in the group doing a Sprint July 9th, so this is pretty perfect for them. It will be a good experience for me too since I really havent been swimming in a crowd and havent done all 3 sports in one day very often. They are having music and food afterwards. Seems really worth using a sick day for.

Ok that makes more sense then. 

I think the logs are pretty good here.  At least the best I have found of the freebies out there. 

I would try to do the practice tri if you can make it.  There are always things on race day that you won't think about or that can go wrong, so it is a good idea to get a dry run like that if you have the opportunity.

2014-06-20 8:55 PM
in reply to: #5015431

Hi Chris,

My name is Adolfo, I just joined BT and am a newbie on Triathlon.
From Guadalajara, Mexico where Triathlon is beginning to grow. Slowly but we are getting more races near by every year.

Just survived my first sprint and training to do another one in August.
My goal is to do an Olympic and become better at it year after year.

Can I join your group?

Adolfo
2014-06-20 9:57 PM
in reply to: #5015542

Welcome to the new folks, and congrats on the swim improvements!

Question for those of you who run - I've been running for about a year. Longest race 5 miles, longest run 6 miles (both just under 10 min/m). When I jumped into the tri world, I was debating either HM or sprint tri this year. I picked tri, but now kind of want both. My goal tri is in mid-August, and there is a local HM a month later. If I start consciously incorporating one long run per week into my plan now and slowly increasing volume, does that sound like enough time? I don't know that I can run more than 3 x/wk and still get everything else in. Tips appreciated, thanks!!!

2014-06-21 12:09 AM
in reply to: MMW37

User image

HI MMW, I think there is time. Mid October there are still plenty of races, IMHO the best time of year to race! So, we are talking about 8 wks to recover / train / taper. I think if you can get yourself to 9-10 miles in training, you will be all set with the HM.

- I think a rough training plan would be Week 1 (recovery) 4 miles - Wk 2 (6miles) Wk 3 (7) Wk 4 (8) Wk 5 (9) Wk 6 (10) Wk 7 (11) Wk 8 (taper 6 miles).

Pay attention to drink enough and cut back your speed / effort when its really hot and humid and you can do it. Run / walk can help you get to your distance goal and build endurance.

Good luck
2014-06-21 5:35 AM
in reply to: MMW37

User image

Originally posted by MMW37

Welcome to the new folks, and congrats on the swim improvements!

Question for those of you who run - I've been running for about a year. Longest race 5 miles, longest run 6 miles (both just under 10 min/m). When I jumped into the tri world, I was debating either HM or sprint tri this year. I picked tri, but now kind of want both. My goal tri is in mid-August, and there is a local HM a month later. If I start consciously incorporating one long run per week into my plan now and slowly increasing volume, does that sound like enough time? I don't know that I can run more than 3 x/wk and still get everything else in. Tips appreciated, thanks!!!

Hey MNW37 where I am a total newb at tris I do have years of running under me. Yes you have time on 3 days a week. I trained for full marathons on 3-4days a week. Now I only run 3:45ish in those marathons but it can be done.

Just adjust running mileage at around 10% more per week and u will be fine. say if you run 10miles a week now run 11miles next week!! Don't build 2 fast or you may injure your legs. Good luck and enjoy your tris and HM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly Focus Group - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 24

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40

Started by lutzman
Views: 43832 Posts: 980

2015-01-10 7:42 PM mtsnorider

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 51166 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19837 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 23, 2010
comments : 0
I want to follow the Winter Maintenance-Run Focus program (8 weeks), but don't know when to start. I also want to do the Intermediate Sprint-12 week program before my first race.

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
comments : 0
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. Heavy on the running, swimming, push/pull-ups and sit-ups, will you find yourself man (or woman) enough to finish?