Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 34

2007-01-26 6:38 AM
in reply to: #641608

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: COgirl's Group - FULL
Mel

I agree with Cathy do not swim on an end lane it is a pain Also if there are only two of you you can each take a side. When I swim there are five or six people so we rotate in a circle.

Good job swimming! Keep it up!

Heather

PS It was 24 and ice this morning at my house BRRRRRRRRRRRRR I froze after spin class!

2007-01-26 10:18 AM
in reply to: #668629

User image

New user
Hi girls!

I'll be gone all weekend, so you won't see me here until Sunday night. We're going camping with Drew in Big Sur, there's a chance of rain so think dry thoughts for us!! I'm planning on an early morning Sunday trail run, supposed to do 4 miles, but I'll settle for 44 mins!

Melissa - How's it going? Hope your feeling better soon. And the tot trot sounds too cool! I'll have to look for those around my area when Drew gets older. (I know, I have to wait til he can walk first! )

Heather - Good luck with your procedure. I know how hard it can be to have down time while recovering. You'll have plenty of time to be active once you're healed. And stay warm!!!

Mel - Keep up the good work with the swimming. I agree with Cathy; you're important too and need to have some space as well so you're not hitting the wall. It'll get easier the more you swim with people.

Have fun this weekend!!!

Kaci
2007-01-26 11:56 AM
in reply to: #668516

User image

MotoQueen
I'm here, just was out of town for business. Have been swimming a couple of times, the pool at the hotel was so small. I'm a walker, not a runner and I am walking to get ready for a 1/2 marathon in March. I've got to start logging in, I know, keep track of my training. I'll get better I promis.

Kendra
2007-01-26 2:34 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Heather - LOL!  I'm glad someone else in the country is having some winter weather! 

Kaci- have a blast, and defintely hoping for no rain for you! 

Kendra! - YAY!  Welcome back!    Good to see you posting and I'll be checking your log soon!

So I finally got to run OUTSIDE today.  It was very nice....totally sunny, but still lots of snow and ice on the trails.  I only fell once!    Hope everyone has a great weekend. 

BTW, we never really talked about this, but doing the longer workouts on the weekend seems to work for most people if you have to work during the week.  And you can also usually partner up with someone which keeps it from getting boring!

2007-01-27 10:03 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Well, it's the weekend, and that means it must be snowing in Colorado......and it is!  argh.

I know a lot of you are swimmers.....but for those of you that aren't....do you know how to use all the pool "toys?"  Like the pull buoy and such?  Also there are lots of drills that can be done to help your form....if you need any help with those, I can point you in the right direction. 

Have a great weekend!

2007-01-27 5:24 PM

User image

Veteran
SC

Cathy, I'm glad you brought that up.  I don't know how to use any of the pool "toys".  I see other people using them and was wondering what to do with them.

I went to the Tri training meeting this morning.  We are going to be starting 2/27 for 10 weeks.  We have a couple of people in the group that have done tri's before.  One guy has done an IM.  They are going to have training plans for us.  We will be meeting once a week.

Heather, Good luck with your surgery.  I hope everything goes well. 

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

Mel 

2007-01-28 11:28 AM
in reply to: #669904

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
lialog - 2007-01-27 4:24 PM

Cathy, I'm glad you brought that up.  I don't know how to use any of the pool "toys".  I see other people using them and was wondering what to do with them.

Your tri club sounds like a great group....that is an awesome resource!

So pool stuff.....there's the pull buoy, the thing that goes between your legs.  The point of this one is that you don't kick, you focus solely on your arms (your pull!).  Kickboards are great for kicking drills.....without fins is fine, but it takes forever!  I use Zoomers (fins) - the blue ones - for kicking.  Paddles or gloves are for working on your upper body strength and provides a bit of resistance BUT these can lead to shoulder injuries, so be careful if you use them.  I gave up on paddles....they did bother my shoulder. 

Do you have goggles that fit well?  It took me 2 years to find goggles that fit and didn't leak.  Finally settled on Aquasphere Kaimen goggles (the jr. version!). 

Any other pool questions?

Z
2007-01-29 8:29 AM
in reply to: #670360

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member
Cathy,

does Anti-fog coating really work well on your goggles? Fogging is something that really bothers me a lot.

I did my first real brick this past Saturday; 7 miles MTB and 2 miler running. Still learning to feel comfortable biking.

How is everyone else doing?

Z.
2007-01-29 9:09 AM
in reply to: #671041

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

zschaller - 2007-01-29 7:29 AM Cathy, does Anti-fog coating really work well on your goggles? Fogging is something that really bothers me a lot. I did my first real brick this past Saturday; 7 miles MTB and 2 miler running. Still learning to feel comfortable biking. How is everyone else doing? Z.

Hi Z!  I have not had much luck with the anti-fog stuff.  The best thing that seems to work fairly decently is just putting the goggles on totally dry....dry goggles, dry face.  they still fog up, but it isn't as bad.  I wish there was a miracle cure for that! 

Congrats on the brick!  Keep going on the biking!  are you feeling a little more comfortable on the bike?  or is it the same? 

2007-01-29 9:46 AM

User image

MotoQueen
You may have all discussed this already, but what is a brick workout?
2007-01-29 10:40 AM
in reply to: #671172

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

kns57 - 2007-01-29 8:46 AM You may have all discussed this already, but what is a brick workout?

No we haven't discussed it!  A brick is doing 2 sports back to back, typically in the form of biking then running.  It's good to do a few before races so you get the feel of how your legs will be after biking!

And one of my buddies (bsjracing) brought to my attention that licking the inside of your goggles sometimes helps with fogging.  I've tried it and had some luck with it.....but then forgot all about it! 

2007-01-30 8:13 AM

User image

Hi- So, I feel like a person again! Now it's time to get back to training-- I'm nervous! I'm nervous to get back in the pool-- not sure why.

I'm going to bike/walk tonight
Wed- Bike
Thur-Swim
Fri-Swim
Sat- My son's 3rd birthday party
Sun- Long bike and walk-try to run!

That's my plan for the week I also want to meet with a trainer to create a strength training program-- If I'm going through all this trouble I want killer arms this summer!
2007-01-30 9:36 AM
in reply to: #672445

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Trimomnewbe - 2007-01-30 7:13 AM Hi- So, I feel like a person again! Now it's time to get back to training-- I'm nervous! I'm nervous to get back in the pool-- not sure why. I'm going to bike/walk tonight Wed- Bike Thur-Swim Fri-Swim Sat- My son's 3rd birthday party Sun- Long bike and walk-try to run! That's my plan for the week I also want to meet with a trainer to create a strength training program-- If I'm going through all this trouble I want killer arms this summer!

YAY!  Welcome back to training!  You will do great!  Your plan for the week looks awesome (especially the b-day party!)

I'd love some killer arms too.    I also need to work on my strength training!  Do you  have an appt with a trainer set up already? 

Z
2007-01-30 7:38 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member
Hey everyone. I ran today for 45 minutes trying to push myself into zone 2 but still ended up at 3. Oh well. It is darn cold here in Northern VA! Swimming tomorrow, I'm teaching my hubby as well, he will do his first tri with me in March. He swims like a brick, I think it's the only sport where I'm 100% superior. He kicks my but in EVERY other sport

So my little guy here is breaking his eye teeth, all four are coming in. He is very uncomfortable and makes sure we totally aware of it. We eat Tylenol instead of food Has anyone ever felt like they are living with a little 27 pounds monster????

Z.

Edited by zschaller 2007-01-30 7:42 PM
Z
2007-01-30 7:54 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member
One more thing... Cathy, I've noticed you are using trainingpeaks.com

How do you like it, would you recommend it?

Thanks,
Z.
2007-01-30 8:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Hi Girls

Hope you all are doin well this week

Training this week:

Sunday: strength training and 1/2 hour road bike on the trainer
Monday: strength training and spin class
Tuesday: swam 3000 yards
Wed: Meet with trainer and run 1 mile under 11:00
Thurs Swim
Fri NOTHING ;0
Sat swimming
Sun Not sure yet!

Things are going well I am STARVING when I swim so I caved and ate a little pasta tonight.

Cathy tell me about transition gear and how that works...I know there are areas where you put your stuff but are people watching it? Do you put it all in a bag? Where do you put your shoes and stuff? Just curious.

Heather

2007-01-30 9:26 PM

User image

Veteran
SC

Melissa, I'm glad to hear you're feeling better! Sounds like an awesome workout. Hope your son has a fun bday. My twins are turning 3 on feb 12th. Our kids are very close in age!

Zoya, Great job biking and running. I hope I do that well when I get my bike. I can totally relate to 27 lb monster.  I have one of those too!  I hope his teeth come in soon.

Last night did a spin class/swam. I made sure and took a lane far away from the side of the pool. The coach in charge of the tri training had told us not to swim or use a kickboard until we meet with the swim coach. She said it's more difficult to correct a bad stroke. I used the kickboard last night. I felt like a kid again using a kickboard. It was fun.

Cathy, I have a couple of bt questions. The tri I'm going to be doing is in the summer. Should I just get a tri suit or wear a bathing suit and then put shorts on for the bike and run? What do you usually wear for a summer tri? Also after the swim portion of the race do you usually dry off with a towel or just run to the transition area and get your shoes on and bike?

I hope everyone is having a good one!

Mel

2007-01-31 10:42 AM
in reply to: #673501

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

zschaller - 2007-01-30 6:54 PM One more thing... Cathy, I've noticed you are using trainingpeaks.com How do you like it, would you recommend it? Thanks, Z.

I use it because I have a coach this year (markdills38 on this site) and he puts my workouts in Training Peaks....I do like it.  I know there is also a "self coached" version on there, but I don't know much about it.  If you want to know more about it, I can ask as I know someone who has used the self-coached version.  Just let me know. 

2007-01-31 10:49 AM
in reply to: #673514

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

countregirl - 2007-01-30 7:12 PM Cathy tell me about transition gear and how that works...I know there are areas where you put your stuff but are people watching it? Do you put it all in a bag? Where do you put your shoes and stuff? Just curious. Heather

Heather your workout plan looks awesome!  And hey, you need those carbs to sustain your workouts anyway  

For the transition area, there are volunteers at the entrance/exit.  Only racers are allowed in (you have to be wearing a number to get in).  So there is some oversight, though they aren't checking whose bike is whose, etc.  I haven't ever had any problem with someone taking my stuff....you hear about it, but it is truly rare. 

I put everything in a big backpack.  That way I can ride my bike from the parking area to the T-area.  But you are not allowed to ride your bike in the Tarea at all!  Anyway, all of my crap fits in there, I wear my helmet, ride my bike.  I have seen people use milk crates and then they have something to sit on also. 

I get there early so I can get a good spot, and then set up.  Bring an old towel to arrange all of your stuff.  Make sure your bike shoes velcro straps are open and stuff is ready to go! 

Do you know about Yankz or Lock Laces?  They are shoelaces that make your running shoes easy to put on and off without tying the laces.  They're cool! 

Does that answer your questions?  If there's more, let me know!

2007-01-31 11:00 AM
in reply to: #673583

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

lialog - 2007-01-30 8:26 PM Cathy, I have a couple of bt questions. The tri I'm going to be doing is in the summer. Should I just get a tri suit or wear a bathing suit and then put shorts on for the bike and run? What do you usually wear for a summer tri? Also after the swim portion of the race do you usually dry off with a towel or just run to the transition area and get your shoes on and bike?

Hi!  Ah yes, clothing....well you gotta look cute too!    I wear tri shorts and a tank with pockets for gels.  I would skip the bathing suit because if you put shorts on over top, the bathing suit edges might bother you and there is not much support for the chest during the run!  I even wear a sports bra under the tank....I like the boob smashers, can't stand the bouncing during the run!  LOL!  Oh and the material for the tank is coolmax typically....no cotton! 

Tri shorts have a pad in them like bike shorts but it is smaller/thinner.  I would not recommend wearing bike shorts with the thick pad because once it gets wet during the swim, it is huge!  and running in bike shorts is tough. 

I am personally not a fan of the tri-suit, though many people are.  My biggest gripe is that you have totally undress to use the bathroom! 

So, I wear the tri shorts (no underwear!), sports bra, tri-tank top with pockets.  All that is under my wetsuit, so it still gets wet on the swim.  There is usually a long enough run between the swim and the transition area that I'm dry enough.  I take off the wetsuit, put on my bike shoes (no socks at this point because I don't want my socks to get wet and then have to wear wet socks in the run - that is my personal opinion, others do put on their socks at this point).  And I go....I usually don't bother to dry off. 

I used to have really long hair (like in the avatar) and I always put it in braided pigtails for races just so I wouldn't have to mess with it.  I cut it all off in September, so this race season, I'll have to figure out what to do.  You wear the cap that they give you for your race, then put on a bike helmet, and then for the run, I like to wear a running cap - keeps me cool AND no one can see how messed up my hair is! 

So that was probably more than you wanted to know.....   To look for tri shorts, check out www.trisports.com (there is even a discount I believe with a coupon code from this website), DeSoto, Zoot, Pearl Izumi, etc to see what everything looks like!  Other websites for gear are www.sportsbasement.com  www.all3sports.com  www.teamestrogen.com   There are lots! 

2007-01-31 11:01 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Oh and most people just run barefoot from the swim to the T-area, though I have seen people plant some shoes at the end of the swim.  Not sure that it is worth it though.  Just toughen up your feet by walking around barefoot for a while....you'll be good!

2007-01-31 1:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Thanks for the info Cathy

Heather
2007-01-31 3:13 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
oh, and you North Carolina people.....I'll be in Duck, NC for a week starting 5/26....so if you'll be in OBX, let me know!  I have no idea where in NC you two are! 
2007-01-31 4:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Cathy that is about 8 hours from me all the way accross the state but it is BEAUTIFUL there

Are you doing a tri there or vacation?

H
2007-01-31 4:53 PM
in reply to: #674684

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

countregirl - 2007-01-31 3:36 PM Cathy that is about 8 hours from me all the way accross the state but it is BEAUTIFUL there Are you doing a tri there or vacation? H

WOW, 8 hours is far!  It's Memorial Day weekend that we'll be there.  It's for vacation, my parents and all 4 of my brothers! 

I hadn't thought about racing....I'll have to see if there's a memorial day 5K or something!  Maybe I could get my brothers to run if I could find a race!   

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » COgirl's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 34