Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 42

2007-06-09 11:05 AM
in reply to: #804244

User image

Veteran
Okiehoma
Subject: RE: triOK's Group - CLOSED
Oh! I have a question as well. I have a bit of a phobia about water. Yea, I can even get myself freaked out in the pool. One of my biggest problems is water up the nose. I can be in the groove swimming right along, get some water up my nose and bam, it can make me stop. Would it be detrimental to practice with nose plugs until I get my stroke down, or is there some uber secret method to keep water out of my oversensitive nose?

2007-06-09 11:25 AM
in reply to: #837119

User image

Expert
I just got a relatively inexpensive heart rate monitor. Robyn, can you repeat the zone training lecture???
2007-06-09 11:30 AM
in reply to: #837112

User image

Regular
Lubbock, TX
I use a heart rate monitor, but its just a cheap one. It fits right under where your sports bra goes...I'm not sure about the problems you may have being 'butsy'...I've never had that problem(Some days I wish I did though ).

I'm no expert, but I use it primarily to make sure I'm not pushing myself too hard or not hard enough. I really only use it during running, but that is my definate weak spot. But its kinda cool because in just a few weeks I've noticed a definate change in how quick my HR comes down after I quit running....MUCH faster than before.

I'm curious what everyone else has to say about the HR monitors...
2007-06-09 4:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
Heart rate monitors go under your boobs, not over them. I keep mine right where the strap of my sport bra starts (base of boobs). I have a Polar f6 heart rate monitor.

http://www.heartratemonitors.com

If you dont' know what you need, call the number on that web site and they will walk you through it. (I had no idea.) And no, they won't get you the most expensive one. They are super nice people.

Also, Polar heart rate monitors are very very easy to use. Much easier than any digital watch I've ever used in my life. You don't have to know anything to use one. They are super intuitive. The watch part basically tells you what to do to set it.

You can also get sport bras with the heart rate monitor part built in.

I think heart rate monitors are very valuable. They tell you when you are working harder than you think you are, and keep you within a range such that you won't kill yourself, but you do continue to get a workout.

I was running on a treadmill one time without a hrm, and I started getting dizzy and VERY thirsty. I slowed down to a walk and put my hands on the bar part that has the monitor built in and found that my heart rate was at 90% -- and this was after I had been walking for a minute or two. I got scared and I'll never exercise without one again.

Edited by grnidone 2007-06-09 4:26 PM
2007-06-09 4:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
Oh! I have a question as well. I have a bit of a phobia about water. Yea, I can even get myself freaked out in the pool.

I'm so glad to hear I wasn't the only one who has a water phobia. And this isn't a joke, I saw the movie "Jaws" at a young age and didn't get into a pool or other body of water until this last Feb. And I'm 35 years old. Literally each time I get into water, I have to convince myself I won't be eaten. Even in a pool where I can see all the way through it.

I know it sounds really stupid, and probably you guys will make fun of me for it, but it's the honest to god's truth.

If the only part of the tri I do is finish the swim, it will still be a triumph. Especially since it is in a lake. God help me.

That being said, my swim instructor told me that "Do whatever you need to do to get through the swim. If you need a nose plug do it." It's your tri. I actually found a nose plug to be difficult to keep on. I exhale AND inhale when my head is above water. Somehow, it seems to work.

For me, I *have* to have ear plugs, goggles, and a swim hat when I swim.

Edited by grnidone 2007-06-09 4:26 PM
2007-06-09 6:08 PM
in reply to: #837261

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX

grnidone - 2007-06-09 5:21 PM
Oh! I have a question as well. I have a bit of a phobia about water. Yea, I can even get myself freaked out in the pool.
I'm so glad to hear I wasn't the only one who has a water phobia. And this isn't a joke, I saw the movie "Jaws" at a young age and didn't get into a pool or other body of water until this last Feb. And I'm 35 years old. Literally each time I get into water, I have to convince myself I won't be eaten. Even in a pool where I can see all the way through it. I know it sounds really stupid, and probably you guys will make fun of me for it, but it's the honest to god's truth. If the only part of the tri I do is finish the swim, it will still be a triumph. Especially since it is in a lake. God help me. That being said, my swim instructor told me that "Do whatever you need to do to get through the swim. If you need a nose plug do it." It's your tri. I actually found a nose plug to be difficult to keep on. I exhale AND inhale when my head is above water. Somehow, it seems to work. For me, I *have* to have ear plugs, goggles, and a swim hat when I swim.

I would sure hope that no one would make fun of anyone for a phobia....they are really hard to overcome, but it can be done. I wonder if specialized swim instruction would be helpful. My understanding of the treatment of any phobia is to continue to face it and de-sensitize yourself to whatever makes you fearful...BUT it is usually not something you can do on your own.

I know that at my gym the instructors work with adults who have been afraid to get into the water their whole lives....with great results.

I have been so surprised to see how many triathletes deal with some level of discomfort in the water. Personally, I have always loved to swim, and feel confident in my ability, but the first couple of times I tried to get into the open water with my wetsuit on I was very nervous. The first time especially I had to force myself to stay in the water...I never thought I would feel that way. Since then I've practiced a few more times and am starting to feel more comfortable...we'll see what happens at my first real swim tomorrow.

Good luck to both of you (and anyone else who doesn't feel so comfortable in the water)!

2007-06-10 9:23 AM
in reply to: #837119

User image

Veteran
Waco, Texas
Medusa_Ann
About HRMs, I use a Polar HRM. The company has upgraded the series that I have, but I have the one that has all of my stats in it, so it is specific to me. I really like it. It helps me keep up with avg. HR during activity, how long I worked out. It also reports my body mass index - a ratio composed of my lean body mass and my fat body mass (I get that info from my scale). I have to regularly update it with that info, but it's not too hard to scroll through the menu features. I have used the HRM in OWSs and pool swims in all of my races. It doesn't keep up with splits or max/min HR, but if it did, that might cause my OCD to spool deeper into left field than it already is ;) . I like it. Especially as I have been gradually returning to running, I was using it to keep my HR low...kind of doing some "foundation" work. Mine has a strap that I put under my training bra...that helps to keep it in place. I, too, am a "poor returning student", but some days that has more to do with my attitude than my finances! I would suggest going to the companies' websites and investigating the options and prices and talking with more folks about their specific likes and dislikes. There are SO many options with many of them, now. Some even have GPS and computer dump options.
Ramblin' on
Vanessa

Edited by vmax3000 2007-06-10 9:27 AM
2007-06-10 9:55 AM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Thanks for the HRM info, I will do some online shopping for some good deals and see how that goes! Any bike opinions yet?

As for swimming you just need to try different methods to find out what works best for you--that's why we practice this stuff. Visualization is a really good tool--imagine yourself getting into the water, see yourself swimming a strong, relaxed stroke, breathing slowly and steadily, feel yourself enjoying it, and see yourself successfully leaving the water having done great. While doing OWS training, maybe stay in close to shore until you feel better going deeper. I grew up swimming in lakes and instead have a fear of lap swimming laps in pools, since I don't know the 'rules' or feel comfortable in that setting.

2007-06-10 1:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX

I DID IT!!!!!!!!!

I finished BOP but not DFL!!!

For my first race, it was a great experience. Hard but not horrible. My time was 1:48:38 which was about what I was hoping to do.

Thanks so much for all of your support and encouragement!!

I AM A TRIATHLETE!!!!!!!!!!!

2007-06-10 1:55 PM
in reply to: #837655

User image

Regular
Lubbock, TX
Congrats Kristen!!! You have to tell us the details on what went well and what didn't....I'm very curious to hear about everyone's first race experiences!
2007-06-10 2:44 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Way to go, Kristen! I will look forward to a full report! Congratulations, that goal is ACHIEVED!!!!! YAY!

2007-06-10 3:25 PM

User image

Regular
Gator22 and I finished Keuka.  He as a sight to see with his leopard speedo and 1/2 shirt.
2007-06-10 3:25 PM

User image

Regular

Kristen,

Congrats 

2007-06-10 4:23 PM
in reply to: #837655

User image

Veteran
Okiehoma
kriscrn - 2007-06-10 2:21 PM

I AM A TRIATHLETE!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats!!!

firstriguy - 2007-06-10 4:25 PM Gator22 and I finished Keuka. He as a sight to see with his leopard speedo and 1/2 shirt.

Congrats to you two as well! You get a pic?

2007-06-10 5:12 PM

User image

Congrats everyone! Unfortunately, my second tri (and first olympic) didn't go as planned this weekend.

After a delayed flight, and a long drive out to Montauk in the rain and fog I managed to get my packet right at the 10PM deadline. Race morning things really started down hill. What a disaster..

Gear bag is ready, car is parked... Feeling good. Time to top off the pressure in the wheels. Next thing I know I'm saying to my wife "uh oh, worst case scenario." The valve stem broke on the rear wheel tube when I was filling the tire 45 min before my wave start! 100's of miles of training and this happens on race morning? Ugh, murphy's law.

Okay, so I still had time and had my spare and tools. With some friendly guidance from another participant and calming words from my wife, I amazingly was able to actually change the damn thing. I was in business, or so I thought.

I was quite releaved that I was making it through one of my worst nightmares - a flat on race day. Then the unthinkable - if you can believe it (I didn't) the valve was bad and I couldn't fill it! UGH. A brand new tube andThe wave of disappointment started to swell in my gut.

After some soul searching, I decided to swim since I put so much training time in for this race.. I barely made it to the wave start and water was cold - around 60 at the most. I couldn't get my breathing routine going until at least the 2nd bouy. The water was just so cold on my face that I couldn't catch a breath!

The real drain emotionally was during the swim knowing my day was over as soon as I got out of the water. After all that training and to be sidelined by a faulty spare tube!

So here's what I'm taking from this "lesson" learned:

- I've heard from some that they put in the pressure they want to ride the night before, and don't touch the wheels at all after that. Seems like a good plan.

-Bring more than 1 tube to the race. Even if I only carry one on the bike, I should have more at the start in my bag, etc. If I can afford it I may even bring a wheel ready to go in the car for any issues before the race.

-Make sure I have time to get in the water if possible to get acclimated - especially if it's cold.

-Try to avoid planning a race the morning after you get back from a week long conference out of state if possible.

-Realize that there will be more races and not to be too depressed for long. Months and months of training for a race that you can't start because of equipment failure is disappointing, but I'm going to hit the training even harder, and plan even better for the next race.

Rob

PS: Anyone know any good Olympic tri's near NY in June? My next scheduled race is a sprint in July - I really would like to get an oly under my belt to get back in the game and get out of this funk ASAP
2007-06-10 5:49 PM
in reply to: #837822

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX

rperissi - 2007-06-10 6:12 PM Congrats everyone! Unfortunately, my second tri (and first olympic) didn't go as planned this weekend. 

Rob, so sorry to hear that......what a disappointment. I have no words except to say that I'm sure with your level of commitment, you'll be completing that Oly sooner rather than later. Good luck!

2007-06-10 5:51 PM
in reply to: #837747

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX

firstriguy - 2007-06-10 4:25 PM Gator22 and I finished Keuka.  He as a sight to see with his leopard speedo and 1/2 shirt.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2007-06-10 9:35 PM
in reply to: #837747

User image

Expert
firstriguy - 2007-06-10 3:25 PM

Gator22 and I finished Keuka.  He as a sight to see with his leopard speedo and 1/2 shirt.

I cannot believe I let you get the first shot in..TODAY WAS Great. I will have the story in my blog, but I did much better than I thought I would, even with a flat tire break Can't wait to do it again on 7/29....Now off to job #3. Child support and triathlon are breaking me!!!
2007-06-11 7:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Virginia
Congratulations Aaron, Kirk and Kristen!  You are Triathletes!
2007-06-11 7:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Virginia
Sorry to hear about your race day Rob.  You will do awesome in your next race though!
2007-06-11 8:43 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

Congrats to the New Triathletes and to the racing fools.  Fools used in the fondest terms!

Try not to get down on yourself too much about the bike tire.  Things happen and you learn from them.  The thing you need to look at is the fact that even though your bike wasn't ready, you decided to start the race.  Many people would have just called it a day and left.  Not you!!  You rolled with the punches and started anyway.  That tells you something right there.

There is the New York city Tri on July 22nd:  http://www.nyctri.com/site3.aspx

New Jersey State Tri on http://www.cgiracing.com/

2007-06-11 8:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Okiehoma
Hang in there, Rob, you will kick a$$ at the next one!
2007-06-11 9:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Waco, Texas
I wish to send a hearty congratulations to ALL of you went out to race yesterday, regardless of where you finished! I, too, have had the dreaded DNF - I too just went in and swam, knowing I couldn't finish the race due to "technical difficulties"! Hey, great t-shirt! For the scared swimmers in the crowd, I got this bug up my butt about 7 years ago that I wanted to complete a triathlon. I ran track as a kid and did it moderately to stay fit as an adult. I rode my bike to and from work on occasion, but, due to a bad experience as a child in a swim instruction session, I never learned how to swim. I talked with a swim instructor at my health club. As it turned out, he was "fluent" in adult instruction. I had to overcome years of dust that had built up on the terror lurking below - in this case, the water. He taught me some tricks and taught me to swim. I have gone on to do several triathlons - some better than others . I encourage anyone struggling with the 'swim shivers' to talk with someone about adult instruction, if you can. I still struggle with the water on race day, but it isn't as bad as it first was. Also, I just have to admit to all of you - I am a land creature.... BTW, I am 40, so I learned to swim when I was 34.......
Keep swimming!
Vanessa
2007-06-11 10:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Okiehoma

My fear of water started when I was four when my mother threw me over the side of our boat... when we were in the middle of the lake! Of course I had a life jacket on, but I was pretty sure something was going to eat me and that fear has never left me. (add to that one to many times watching Shark Week on Discovery)

I learned to swim when I was ten, and was pretty good at it, and grew up swimming in pools and in the ocean. I am fine as long as two things are present: one, I can see what it is in the water with me, and two, the water is not over my head. (I still have to look in the water before I will swim into the deep end of a pool) Take one of those away, and this big, bad, butch can turn into a screaming ninny.

It does not help I almost drowned in four feet of water tubing the Guadalupe River when I got caught in the washing machine of a water fall. Exposure of the good kind helps with the fear, but for every 5 good stories around the water, I could tell you one story of Panic! at the Disco, River, Ocean, Lake, Pool, (insert any type of body of water here).

2007-06-11 11:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
I finished BOP but not DFL!!!

OH...that's...uh.

What's BOP and DFL again? And is there somewhere on this site that has a listing on common acronyms?

But Congrats on being a triathlete.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 42