BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jesswah's group - FULL of sexy triathletes! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2008-01-15 12:17 PM
in reply to: #1090400

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: jesswah's group - FULL of sexy triathletes!

Hi all,

Need some advice on kickboard drills:

My experience with kickboard drills are pretty disappointing: I barely make it to 1/3 of the pool length and then, no matter how hard I try, I am slowing down to almost a point where I am barely making any progress... while I see others "just" kicking and buzzing by me. This is pretty frustrating and while trying to find some advice online, I am not sure what I do wrong...

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

2008-01-15 1:12 PM
in reply to: #1114070

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
Subject: RE: jesswah's group - CLOSED like a box of fruitcake

Hi, this Ditchdoc ( DUH) from TriOK's group. I just wanted to let Ronen know, since he was kind enough to give us a choice on Bikini colors, ( if we should lose) I am gonna choose white. And before I pose for the picture I will make sure that the bikini is wet, so it is see through and leaves nothing to the imagination.  Heck I might even have to throw this match just so i can post that pic for you Ronen.Laughing

Ya'll have a nice day now...ya hear!?!?

Edited by ditchdoc 2008-01-15 1:39 PM
2008-01-15 1:33 PM
in reply to: #1157630

User image

Veteran
ditchdoc - 2008-01-15 11:12 AM

Hi, this Ditchdoc ( DUH) from TriOK's group. I just wanted to let Ronen know, since he was kind enough to give us a choice on Bikini colors, ( if we should lose) I am gonna choose white. And before I pose for the picture I will make sure that the bikini is wet, so it is see through and leaves nothing to the imagination.  Heck I might even have to through this match just so i can post that pic for you Ronen.Laughing

LMAO!!!! 

I think pretty soon I may not be allowed to open these threads at work!!

2008-01-15 1:37 PM
in reply to: #1157685

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
jesswah - 2008-01-15 1:33 PM
ditchdoc - 2008-01-15 11:12 AM

Hi, this Ditchdoc ( DUH) from TriOK's group. I just wanted to let Ronen know, since he was kind enough to give us a choice on Bikini colors, ( if we should lose) I am gonna choose white. And before I pose for the picture I will make sure that the bikini is wet, so it is see through and leaves nothing to the imagination.  Heck I might even have to throw this match just so i can post that pic for you Ronen.Laughing

LMAO!!!! 

I think pretty soon I may not be allowed to open these threads at work!!

I will prefface with a :"NSFWOSCOOL" ( Not Safe For Work Or Small Children Or Old Ladies)Laughing

Edited by ditchdoc 2008-01-15 1:38 PM
2008-01-15 1:42 PM
in reply to: #1157470

User image

Veteran
Ronen - 2008-01-15 10:17 AM

Hi all,

My experience with kickboard drills are pretty disappointing: I barely make it to 1/3 of the pool length and then, no matter how hard I try, I am slowing down to almost a point where I am barely making any progress... while I see others "just" kicking and buzzing by me. This is pretty frustrating and while trying to find some advice online, I am not sure what I do wrong...

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

I'm assuming it's a 25yd pool?  Best I can suggest is to keep at it.  My kick is really really weak.  I think my pace for kicking drills (no board) is ~3min/50yds and that definently feels like you are going nowhere.  If you keep at it, you'll build the strength and speed to zip down the pool with a kickboard.

My kicking drills (I prefer trying to drown over using a kickboard) are like this:

25y kicking on left side, 25y catch-up drill, 25y swim

25y kicking on right side, 25y catch-up drill, 25y swim

25y kicking on back, 25y catch-up drill, 25y swim

repeat, but replace catch-up drill with hesitation drill

25y right arm only, 25y swim, 25y left arm only, 25y swim, repeat

I put in other drills and swimming as recovery since kicking takes a LOT out of me.

2008-01-15 1:57 PM
in reply to: #1157440

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
You are spot on with this one. You need to have the support at home to train properly and still spend time with your family. Luckilly, I have the best wife in the world when it comes to supporting me. Involve the family or significant loved ones as much as possible.

2008-01-15 2:02 PM

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
You might want to think about fins. My kicking is terrible as well. When I first started, I would kick without fins and it started feeling like I was not moving at all. Kicking with fins allows for momentum, but it also helps with flexibility (pointing your toes) and builds strentgh. My kicking is still not great, but it has improved.
2008-01-15 2:06 PM
in reply to: #1157710

User image

Expert
Hawaii
jesswah - 2008-01-15 8:42 AM

Hi all,

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

I'm assuming it's a 25yd pool? Best I can suggest is to keep at it. My kick is really really weak. I think my pace for kicking drills (no board) is ~3min/50yds and that definently feels like you are going nowhere. If you keep at it, you'll build the strength and speed to zip down the pool with a kickboard.

My kicking drills (I prefer trying to drown over using a kickboard) are like this:

I put in other drills and swimming as recovery since kicking takes a LOT out of me.

I'm sooooo not a kicker.  I use my legs more for balance while swimming...they don't like to kick much.  I found these online (http://www.wsumastersswimming.org/workouts/drills.html):

Kicking Drills
Kicking drills done without the use of a kick board will improve overall skill level and allow a flatter body position in the water.
1. T-press kick: kicking on your belly, arms at the side. Keep the head low and the body balanced in the water. Purpose: to learn good body position.
2. Streamline kick: similar to the T-press kick, except the hands and arms are in front above the head in the streamlined position.
3. Kick on side: one arm at your side resting on the hip (it should remain dry), the other arm out front, head face down in the water looking at the bottom of the pool. Purpose: to learn body position and balancing on the your side.
4. Six-kick switch: flutter kick on side with one arm at side and one out front. On six count give hard pull, extending other arm and roll to opposite side, six count and repeat. Purpose: to learn body position and roll.

2008-01-15 2:06 PM

New user

New Jersey
I have the support of my 5 y/o daughter, my mom, step dad and real dad. Plus friends support me in this endevour. Like I said, it's a long story. My wife "supports" me in theory. She has other issues that she needs to get over to fully support me. Right now it's about me and what I want to accomplish. And I can do this!
2008-01-15 2:10 PM
in reply to: #1157784

User image

Expert
Hawaii

matthewmac - 2008-01-15 9:06 AM I have the support of my 5 y/o daughter, my mom, step dad and real dad. Plus friends support me in this endevour. Like I said, it's a long story. My wife "supports" me in theory. She has other issues that she needs to get over to fully support me. Right now it's about me and what I want to accomplish. And I can do this!

You can totally do it! Have you seen any of the threads that people have posted here about spousal support? Here's a recent one....lots of people shared:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=100048&start=1

I'm not married...so I can't offer any insight, but hope that it all works out for the best for you.

Edited by naners 2008-01-15 2:11 PM
2008-01-15 3:00 PM

User image

Veteran

Naners!!

Here's the Black Bean soup recipe:

1 lb black beans, soaked, drained, and rinsed

1 can chicken broth

4 c water

1 t ground cumin

1/2 t garlic powder

16 oz jar salsa

4 oz can green chiles

1/2 lb turkey polska kielbasa

Threw it all in the slow cooker on low for 8 hours.

I think it needs some chili powder, and maybe a little salt.  And In the future I'd cut back on the water (<2 c) and use 2 cans of broth.  Also, if you want it thick, you can take out some beans and mash them up (throw in blender?) but I added the meat before I thought about that.  Maybe next time.

2008-01-15 3:49 PM
in reply to: #1157783

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
naners - 2008-01-15 12:06 PM
jesswah - 2008-01-15 8:42 AM

Hi all,

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

I'm assuming it's a 25yd pool? Best I can suggest is to keep at it. My kick is really really weak. I think my pace for kicking drills (no board) is ~3min/50yds and that definently feels like you are going nowhere. If you keep at it, you'll build the strength and speed to zip down the pool with a kickboard.

I'm sooooo not a kicker. I use my legs more for balance while swimming...they don't like to kick much. I found these online (http://www.wsumastersswimming.org/workouts/drills.html):

Kicking Drills
Kicking drills done without the use of a kick board will improve overall skill level and allow a flatter body position in the water.
1. T-press kick: kicking on your belly, arms at the side. Keep the head low and the body balanced in the water. Purpose: to learn good body position.
2. Streamline kick: similar to the T-press kick, except the hands and arms are in front above the head in the streamlined position.
3. Kick on side: one arm at your side resting on the hip (it should remain dry), the other arm out front, head face down in the water looking at the bottom of the pool. Purpose: to learn body position and balancing on the your side.
4. Six-kick switch: flutter kick on side with one arm at side and one out front. On six count give hard pull, extending other arm and roll to opposite side, six count and repeat. Purpose: to learn body position and roll.

Thanks for the detailed replies.

It is a 25 meters pool.

On those: Kick on side: one arm at your side resting on the hip (it should remain dry) drills: Can the arm really remain dry??

I am always looking for sortcuts and apparently (close to) none exist in sports I guess... Will add fins to my wish list...

2008-01-15 5:32 PM
in reply to: #1158089

Kickboard drills...not that I'm an expert by any means but here is a tip that I learned a while back...

This may be hard to put into words but here goes...when using the kickboard, try to let your hips naturally pivot in the water as you kick. This provides extra movement and glide through the water. So your body is naturally rocking in the water as your legs are kicking. Your entire leg should move, not just from the knee down (although most of the movement comes from the knee down). Typically I don't create too much splash. I have heard different opinions on this but I have had better luck when my "splash" is minimal. In a 25 yd pool, I can make it down in about 25-30 seconds.

You might want to focus on your skill and technique doing straight kicks before you mix it up with side kicks etc. Maybe you can isolate the motions easier and then try other methods? It's always personal preference, but that is what has helped me.

Let me know how it goes: )

Andrea
2008-01-15 6:56 PM

User image

Regular
Ronen - 2008-01-15 12:17 PM

Hi all,

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

I have a friend who is an amazing triathlete and even better swimmer. She says that she never uses a kickboard for kick drills, but does them on her back which helps her to practice keeping a more true line in the water.

2008-01-15 6:59 PM
in reply to: #1157942

User image

Expert
Hawaii
jesswah - 2008-01-15 10:00 AM

Naners!!

Here's the Black Bean soup recipe:

1 lb black beans, soaked, drained, and rinsed

1 can chicken broth

4 c water

1 t ground cumin

1/2 t garlic powder

16 oz jar salsa

4 oz can green chiles

1/2 lb turkey polska kielbasa

Threw it all in the slow cooker on low for 8 hours.

I think it needs some chili powder, and maybe a little salt. And In the future I'd cut back on the water (<2 c) and use 2 cans of broth. Also, if you want it thick, you can take out some beans and mash them up (throw in blender?) but I added the meat before I thought about that. Maybe next time.

Sounds tasty, thanks!

2008-01-16 9:21 AM

New user

New Jersey
I noticed the other night after running that my upper hip/butt was hurting from the past couple of days of running. We, me and the wife, went to see a broadway play last night and it really hurt/sore from sitting (like 3 hours). So, I went weight training this morning with my trainer. He says that I need to take a day off so that the pull can heal and I can resume on Firday with a 3 mile run. Bummer b/c I was really enjoying running! But I understand to take a rest so that it does not become a bigger problem down the line where I can't do anything. He also has started me on some leg exercises to strengthen them up.

On the plus side. The play, Rock-n-Roll, was AWESOME! Written by Tom Stoppard. I highly recommend anyone see it if you get a chance.

2008-01-16 9:26 AM

User image

I have the same exact problem I don't feel so bad now.

I did hear a tip I'm going to try tonight: Do not kick from the knees down. Kick from the hips on down.

Also, make sure your butt is on top of the water. Somebody watched me swim and said I have good technique, but my body is too deep in the water so I am "plowing". What you ideally want to do is stay atop the water as best you can and "glide".

Edited by Dream Chaser 2008-01-16 9:31 AM
2008-01-16 10:40 AM
in reply to: #1158089

User image

Veteran
Ronen - 2008-01-15 1:49 PM

On those: Kick on side: one arm at your side resting on the hip (it should remain dry) drills: Can the arm really remain dry??

I don't think so.  Or at least I do not have enough buoyancy.  Only thing out of the water when I do that is most of my head, and maybe a bit of shoulder.

2008-01-16 11:51 AM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA

Thanks all for the replies on my kickboard question.

At least, I feel that I am not alone on that. When those teenagers from the swim team did those drills the other day, they seem to be so fast at it, while no sign of effort was noticed on their faces... oh well.

I'll get back at it tomorrow at the pool and practice more...

2008-01-16 7:44 PM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)

Bike lust....  DH and I had the bike talk this afternoon.  He and I both want new bikes.  We're not talking about huge $$$$$, but still $$$.  Especially when you make that TWO bikes.  We're re-doing our bathroom this winter and that is going to cost $$$.  Basically, the bathroom remodel would buy two very nice bikes.  So, how much do we need a bathroom?  I mean, we go to the gym every day and shower there.  For the record, we haven't used that shower in over a year.  It leaks and was rotting the floor.  Our solution- don't use that shower and join a gym.  I'm still going to petition for those new bikes. 

Pattie

2008-01-16 8:10 PM
in reply to: #1160706

User image

Veteran
rowdypaint - 2008-01-16 5:44 PM

Bike lust....  DH and I had the bike talk this afternoon.  He and I both want new bikes.  We're not talking about huge $$$$$, but still $$$.  Especially when you make that TWO bikes.  We're re-doing our bathroom this winter and that is going to cost $$$.  Basically, the bathroom remodel would buy two very nice bikes.  So, how much do we need a bathroom?  I mean, we go to the gym every day and shower there.  For the record, we haven't used that shower in over a year.  It leaks and was rotting the floor.  Our solution- don't use that shower and join a gym.  I'm still going to petition for those new bikes. 

Pattie

A new bike sounds a heck of a lot more useful than a remodeled bathroom to me.... especially if it doesn't get used!  And since it sounds like the remodel cost is greater than the cost of two bikes... maybe 2 trainers as well? 

2008-01-17 9:26 AM
in reply to: #1160750

User image

Expert
How is everyone doing with their challenge goals. I feel great this week, but I know I will have court a lot next week from this weeks nonsense on the streets. I might have to adjust my goals. Hopefully Robyn won't ding me!! I might have to send her a private pic of me in the speedo to keep her happy (or ill, however you look at it)
2008-01-17 9:45 AM

New user

New Jersey
I plan on running 3 tomorrow and 3 on Sunday. That will put me one mile over my goal for the week.
2008-01-17 10:07 AM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
I have not done all the math yet, but I expect to be okay on the running side and behind on swimming and bicycle riding... 27 hour days would help me greatly

Edited by Ronen 2008-01-17 3:49 PM
2008-01-17 3:09 PM

New user

New Jersey
Cloning....it's all about the cloning!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jesswah's group - FULL of sexy triathletes! Rss Feed  

of 18