BT Development Mentor Program Archives » willie05's Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2008-02-19 1:43 PM
in reply to: #1094615

User image

Rochester, New York
Subject: RE: willie05's Group - Closed
After an extended period of being off, I'm back. Was sick for a few days, then just really busy. Just now caught up on all the news from the past few weeks.

Thanks to whoever posted the tips on breathing pre-race. I feel the same way and it consumes me, in that I can't focus on swimming, strokes, or anything. All I really worry about is drowning! Eventually, I pull myself together & can swim, but I'm at the back of the pack 7 floundering by that point.

Workouts this week are going quite well, I feel like I've been on fire actually!

Hope everyone else is having a decent week & look forward to hearing again from our fearless leader.

2008-02-19 8:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Glad to hear you are back. I am going through being sick this week. I missed one of my two workouts yesterday and did not train at all today. I am suppose to do some weight training in the morning, but might skip it.

The only news on my end is I am considering working with a coach. I was that the Trek store over the weekend and learned there is a USAT certified coach in town. I spoke to her today and I think I am just going to bite the bullet and work with her. I'll let you know how it goes.

-Steven
2008-02-19 8:22 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Workouts went really well last week and I hit my planned targets - which felt really good after missing over a week due to illness (seems like a common complaint - kind of strange how we all got sick in pretty much the same period).

Trying to stick to the plan this week, but missed my strength training tonight - just didn't have the time. Swam last night, and was a bit disappointed as we did a 100M TT at the end of the session - I was done 1/2 way down the second lap and just tried to hang on till the end (bad form and all). Finished at 2:02 which is not what I wanted to see. Need to keep focusing on the swim, cause it remains an uphill battle.

Squishy
2008-02-20 10:49 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario
snowrider - I'd be really interested to learn how the coaching goes (alos what kind of fees are involved). Keep us posted.

Squishy
2008-02-20 11:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Squishy,,

There are two different training packages I am looking at. The Basic package is 150 a month and includes the following:

Evaluation of past training
Develop future goals specific to the individual athlete
Workouts are sent in blocks of three weeks
Unlimited communication via e-mail, initiated by the athlete
Programs are structured to the individual athlete to include the following:
o Detailed description of the workouts
o Purpose of the workout (speed, strength, recovery, etc.)
o Correct heart rate training zones and effort
o Distance and time to be covered in the workout
o Any other specific details or comments tailored to the athlete
o Taper plan
o Race day nutrition plan

The next one up includes:

Evaluation of past training
Develop future goals specific to the individual athlete
Unlimited communication via e-mail and one phone call per week, initiated by the athlete
Workouts are sent in blocks of two-three weeks
Programs are structured to the individual athlete to include the following:
o Detailed description of the workouts
o Purpose of the workout (speed, strength, recovery, etc.)
o Correct heart rate and/or lactate training zone
o Distance and time to be covered in the workout
o Other specific details or comments tailored to the athlete
o Monthly testing to fitness gains, or weak areas
o 1-weekly swim session in the endless pool
o Taper plan
o Race day nutrition plan
o Coach will adjust your schedule, as much as needed for unforeseen events.

I will be talking with her later on today, and I am going to try and find out which is going to be the best for me. It is expensive, but if I am out here working my butt off, and I want to make sure I am not spinning my wheels.

One another note. I signed up for a swimming workshop this weekend. It is a five hour workshop with video taping before and after. It will be interesting to see what I learn and how I progress.

S
2008-02-20 2:34 PM
in reply to: #1223630

User image

Swan Valley, Idaho
Are you doing a TI workshop - I've been thinking about one in Salt Lake next month.

So is everyone weight training while training for races? Are you focusing on upper body or are doing full circuits - how many times a week?

I'm having enough of a struggle getting in all of the tri workouts!

2008-02-21 7:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
Wendy

I try to include some weight/strength (including core) training all year, and I do this because I have read that at 40+ yo it is good to include weight/strength training even through race season, and women are recommended to strength train year-round.

Further, from what I've read, for triathlon at least, a couple times a week during the base & build periods is what is re. During race season once a week is enough. If you go to the link to D3 posted previously, they given both beginner & intermediate/advanced programs. Also, this month's edition of Triathlete Magazine has a nice article about strength training and recommended exercises.

I do agree, it is hard to find the time to fit it all in. I tend to do 2X weekly training in each area (swim, bike, run) and do strength training following my swim workouts because they are usually the shortest in duration.

I am curious to hear what others do.

Mark
2008-02-21 7:10 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

First off - my apologies for being away the last couple weeks.  I'll not let that happen again.  I'm happy that you all kept the group going.  There's no doubt that having these groups and being able to give advice and ask questions definitely helps.

Hope you're all doing well, but Mark I'm sorry to hear of the back issues you have.  I hope you get that fixed up quick.

Wendy - belated congrats on your race!  Now for Rage in Sage I have some advice - practice hills on the bike!  I actually rode the Olympic distance course there in October (on my own, not in a race).   Leaving T1 is all uphill for a quarter mile (make sure your bike is in low gear when you rack it), then it's all rolling hills after that.  Great scenery of Lake Mead! Cool

2008-02-21 11:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
Good to have you back Bob!
2008-02-22 8:27 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario
snowrider - thanks for the info on what the coach will provide. I think the basic package sounds quite a bit like what the training plans on this site are providing + some personalized pieces. But I would think it could only help, although as you said it is a bit pricey.

Swim clinic sounds like a great idea, especially if they are giving you some one on one attention. I definetly like the idea of being videotaped. I swim with a Tri group through a city swim program, and this has helped me, and the cost is so small ($115/3 months) that I would have paid the same in pool fees just going on my own. That said, the big focus of the group is the actual workout, so I'm still thinking about some private lessons to focus on technique. I find mine is rough to begin with, but really breaks down as I start to fatigue.

wswope - I'm trying to get in 2 strength training sessions each week, but only managed 1 this week. My big fear is suffering from DOMS the following days, and having that impact my ability to work on the other sports. I found this to be a real problem when weight training in the past, so I've been using very light weights to avoid the soreness. I'll try to gradually add on weight as the weeks progress and my body adjusts a bit.

Bob - really glad to see you back! Hope everything is well with you, and you're ready to lead us.
2008-02-22 6:53 PM

User image

Veteran
I will let you know how the swim clinic goes. It is the same concept as TI. The clinic is 5 hours long. When we first get there we get right in the water and get video taped. Then I think we do a mixture of classroom and pool work and then get video taped again at the end of the day. The coach claim he can teach the same concepts as TI in 5 hours compared to 2 days of the TI clinic.

I signed on with my new Tri coach. After talking it over with her I decided on the Silver package. She said the basic package was really for her out of state athletes that she does not train with. I think the biggest difference is the one on one sessions, group training sessions, and 1 hour a week in the endless pool. I hope to meet with her this weekend to get started on my training.

Train well!!!

-S

2008-02-23 6:48 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Made a new purchase today - the Garmin Forerunner 305. I'm very excited as up till now I've only had a basic HRM. This thing has all the bells & whistles (and more that will cost extra money of course), but it seems like the best all in one tool for Tri training. The only downside is that it's not waterproof, so I can't swim with it on.

I need to buy the extra cadence/speed sensor and mount for the bike, but then I'll be able to record all data with just this unit. The other very cool tool is that all data is downloadable into the included software, as well as the MotionBased website.

Haven't even used it yet, but I'll be trying it out tomorrow. Fingers crossed it doesn't disappoint. So, I'm really curious, what everyone else uses to help them monitor training for running and cycling. (In addition to the HRM I've been using a wired Sigma computer for my bike.)

Squishy
2008-02-23 6:49 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario
BY the way snowrider - congrats on the coach. Hope it works well.
2008-02-24 7:44 AM

User image

Veteran
I have been using the polar HR 725x. I am using all the features except the power meter for the bike. I have the cadence and speed senors for the bike, and the foot pod for running. With the foot pod I get live up to the second details like, pace and speed.

2008-02-24 8:44 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Took the forerunner out for a run this afternoon, and loved it. Very cool getting my pace alongside HR, etc. (I live for data). What was even cooler was when I logged on tonight I was able to upload my data to the google routes on this site, and then save it as a new route in my log- totally blew me away. I'm off to fiddle with the buttons, and see what else it does.

Squishy
2008-02-25 6:00 AM

User image

Veteran
that sounds really cool!!!

2008-02-25 6:58 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

I have a 305 and used it all of last year.  It was definitely excellent!  I use it for both my running pace and biking speed and elevations. 

My only complaint with it is that sometimes I have to take the elevations with a grain of salt.  It especially doesn't like the valley that I ride in, and shows all sorts of climbs that aren't there.   It's hilly enough here with it adding some more!  Smile

2008-02-25 4:23 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Bob,

Given that the unit is not waterproof (big drawback), how did you use it in races last year? Did you purchase the optional wrist to bike quick release mount? I know that I'm going to buy the cadence sensor, but am not sure about the quick release.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated - as would any ideas on creating routes or courses. Sorry everyone, not trying to hijack the thread, just trying to learn about the new gadget and make sure I buy the right accessories.

As a separate note, it's supposed to snow all week, so I don't know if I'll even get to run - which kind of figures.

2008-02-26 4:35 PM
in reply to: #1234710

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

squishybelly - 2008-02-25 5:23 PM Bob, Given that the unit is not waterproof (big drawback), how did you use it in races last year? Did you purchase the optional wrist to bike quick release mount? I know that I'm going to buy the cadence sensor, but am not sure about the quick release. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated - as would any ideas on creating routes or courses. Sorry everyone, not trying to hijack the thread, just trying to learn about the new gadget and make sure I buy the right accessories. As a separate note, it's supposed to snow all week, so I don't know if I'll even get to run - which kind of figures.

I agree with you that it's a big drawback.  I only used it in the races for biking and running.  I just wore it on my wrist for the bike, just like I do for training.  I figured that during the race, I'm not concerned with overall time, just what was happening with my pace and distance for either the bike or run.  So I left it with my bike gear (I think in my helmet) during the swim.

In the first race, I did make the mistake of not starting it for the bike.  I didn't catch that until after almost two miles.  So I only had my pace for a while until I passed a mileage marker, so I was then able to see that the watch was about 2 miles behind actual distance.

Then I forgot to stop it and switch it over to run!  I caught that one almost right away coming out of T2, but I was annoyed at the extra fidgeting I had to do while I was trying to run. 

I read a tip in one of the threads to turn it on before the race so that it acquires the satellites, then turn it off.  Then turn it on again at T1.  I didn't bother with that because the swim was going to be less than 20 minutes, so that wouldn't be an issue with battery life, so I just left it on during the swim.

Even without the swim info, I was very happy to have it for the bike and run.

2008-02-28 9:46 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario
wow - where is everyone?

Training has been scaled back a little bit this week, and I don't know if I'll get the strength training in tonight, because the mother in law is visiting tomorrow, so I need to tidy up a bit.

Swimming continues to be a bit of a frustration. I can feel like it is effortless at times and that I'm really moving well, but as I start to tire, my form goes to crap and I just get even more tierd trying to survive. It sort of becomes a vicous cycle - once the form is gone you try to get it back but just use up more and more energy.

Anyone having the same issues? Anyone figure out the best method to overcome it?

Squishy

Edited by squishybelly 2008-02-28 9:48 AM
2008-02-28 11:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
Squishy

If I remember correctly, TI would recommend not trying to swim any further, at least for distance, if you are losing form because you are then practicing incorrectly and losing 'muscle memory' for correct form. I think they may support working on drills when tired, but only if you can maintain proper form.

I have had this same experience. I accepted that swimming was going to take me the longest to develop endurance with good form. Before my injury I was finding that I was continuing to be able to swim longer distances with correct form, but it was a slow increase. I also would get frustrated that my speed was still slower than I wanted. Again, though, from everything I've read, sacrificing form for any other benefit in the short term is a loss in the end.

Mark

2008-02-28 3:41 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

Squishy - I had a look at your logs, and you're doing a lot of kick and pull and other drills.  I believe that these are designed to build strength and definitely wear me down when I do them.  I'm not surprised that you start to lose form as your swim session goes on after doing those.

Now I'm not saying not to do them because they should help you in the long run, but you may also want to have some sessions where you're only doing regular freestyle so that you're concentrating on that technique without getting tired out.

2008-02-29 7:55 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Thanks for the feedback guys. Swimming with this Tri group has certainly been a plus, but I have found myself concentrating more on doing the laps, and less on technique/form. At this point I'm still down the end of the pool in the "remedial" lane.

Squishy
2008-02-29 4:26 PM
in reply to: #1243166

User image

Swan Valley, Idaho
Speking of correct form nd distance
I've been working on the TI drills and it has been a lot of fun - I'm hoping it really helps with the next race (especially calming down with yoga breathes and Sweet Spot).

Has any body used the Chi Running book for form? I've started studying this book kmowing that my run needs at least as much work as my swim - anyone tried it?
2008-02-29 6:46 PM

User image

Veteran
I have never been a runner and I could not run 1/2 a mile without pain of some sort. Then, my brother-in-law recommended Chi Running. It made all the difference in the world for me. Now I can go out a run for an hour or more with no pain. I'm not yet fast, but hey, I can run!!!

I really liked the book and found it very helpful.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » willie05's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 10