BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mimir98's group-CLOSED AGAIN...FOR REAL THIS TIME Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2008-01-23 8:31 PM
in reply to: #1098772

User image

Master
South Florida
Subject: RE: Mimir98's group-CLOSED AGAIN...FOR REAL THIS TIME
my response got lost in the body of your text amy!  anyway, what I had said was that most of my rides at this point are in zones 1-2, rpms between 85-95.  For your shorter rides, you could throw in an easy 10 min spin, 10 min of big ring, small cog, then 10 easy spin.  Early in the season is all about building the foundation.  The closer you get to race day, the more you try to *almost* tear it down and then rebuild.

2008-01-23 8:42 PM
in reply to: #1172312

User image

Master
South Florida
Subject: RE: Mimir98's group-Opening up for 1 more....BUT YOU GOTTA WANT IT!!

k_hase - 2008-01-23 3:42 PM So much to comment on.... First, Mimi, I don't think I'll be dropping and doing 20 pushup three x a day, as my suit and heels and workshop particpants might find it strange! Swimming hair-its green, and dry, and feels mostly like straw Snow-try upstate NY (where I lived until August), we had 10 feet last year Food: Food for fuel is no fun, my nutritionist put me on a plan during my HIM last year that included one bag of peanut M&Ms a day. Of course I was eating 2500 calories minimum a day during training. I still eat popcorn and chocolate everyday (100 calorie bags are awesome for this!!) That said, Cooking LIght magazine has been an outstanding resource for healthy food that's easy to make and doesn't taste like doody. Dork Report: I didn't know the little exclamation pt on the logs is a comment flag!! I didn't know you could even comment and until a week ago or so I didn't use the log. I can't promise I'll continue, mostly because I just forget to do it and I can write in my paper log easier than logging in to the computer. Also, I didnt' know I could read other people's logs. Did you hear, they have the internet on computers now... oh, and I have to run 7 miles

Now my turn:  pushups-I have my husband doing them, he will do them after coffee before his shower, before bed, or right in the middle of watching a movie   He's pleased with how his upper body is looking.  hair - yeah, not green, but straw like is pretty close.  I often have dreadlocks after swimming   food - food as fuel doesn't have to be punishment...as far as that goes, it all depends on what your goals are for sure (racing, body comp and otherwise).  there's a time to be uber serious about nutrition, and that may not be for everyone.  just try to eat things that are real, and came from the earth.  peanut m & m's are an exception to this rule, as are all other things chocolate!  Cooking light ROCKS...never made a recipe out of there I didn't like!  dork report - yes, there are many things people can do on this website that I have no clue about!!!  don't feel bad, but definitely get in the practice of inspiring others, as they in turn will inspire you.  I've met some really great people in the flesh through this site.   It's always nice to go to a race and feel like you are part of the group, that you know someone. 

And lastly, I hope you had a great 7 miler Kim

2008-01-23 10:47 PM

Extreme Veteran
Seoul Expat Community
By Special Request, here's the gist of Doenjang-chigae:

[Doenjang-jjigae (Bean Paste Stew)
If Koreans were asked to nominate a national dish, they would probably name doenjang jjigae. It is eaten very frequently throughout the country. The key to the flavor lies in the quality of the bean paste. Bean paste is made early each Lunar year by soaking meju (bean paste blocks shaped like bricks) in brine for forty days and then draining off the soy sauce this produces. The residue is mashed into a yellow paste.

Other ingredients of doenjang jjigae can be tofu, clam meat, pork or beef, but some recipes are meatless. Seasonal vegetables such as zucchini, spinach, green peppers, and onions can also be added. Seasonings include garlic, anchovies, red pepper powder, and salt. A more exotic recipe, known as kungjung doenjang jjigae (royal soybean paste soup) calls for beef, mushrooms, tofu, and gingko nuts.]

I make my own Americanized version and it rocks my tastebuds!! It's the only Korean food I've learned how to make. Have tried others but usually the house just ends up smelling real bad.

You can probably find specific recipes online.......it really is good!!
2008-01-23 11:22 PM
in reply to: #1173018

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Mimir98 - 2008-01-23 7:26 PM Scott, let's not forget...YOU ARE AN IRONMAN! You can put in 35 minutes on the trainer...remember the good feelings you had when training - how it made you feel, what it did for your body, mind and spirit, and get er done!

Well, as I hit the trainer tonight, I wasn't thinking about what the plan said.  As such, I had it in my mind I was doing a comfortable 30 minute spin.  It felt good, was easy to get into, and I wasn't stressing about how hard I should be working, doing ladders or anything.  Settled into a low zone 2 HR.  It was easy to do after lifting - helped that my wife was down there lifting too.

As for mind and spirit, THAT IS WHAT RIDING OUTSIDE IS FOR!!   and I am looking forward to doing that this Saturday if we don't get any more snow this week. 

2008-01-23 11:43 PM
in reply to: #1173050

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
Subject: RE: Mimir98's group-Opening up for 1 more....BUT YOU GOTTA WANT IT!!
Hi Amy, Hans, and Scott. Welcome to the group. My comments...

Snow: Love it. Never too much except in the summer.

Hair: Since we must all wear hats, everybody here has ridiculous looking hair all the time. I don't own a brush or comb. (That sounds stranger than it is... I hope.)

Diet: I'm 23 days in with 8 to go. I'm sick of eating healthy but I've lost 12 lbs in January.

Pushups: Couldn't do one. Crashed my bike this summer and had multiple fractures in both hands/wrists. None surgical but still a hassle and one is still hurting badly. Docs up here are great. When I asked if I could still ride my bike on aerobars he said, "sure as long as you don't crash again." Skiing isn't helping either.

I'm sorry some of you aren't feeling well. Hope you get well soon!

Steve
2008-01-24 7:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

Good Morning-

In the pool for what felt like a solid, if not slow swim. I've got a looooooooooooooooooong way to go with the swim, so it's just gotta be practice, practice, practice.

Bob- Bean paste stew sounds good. Another bad thing about living in the Hinterlands as I do is that we have almost no access to ethnic food )(other that the mexican restaurant that my irish husband owns.) In other Asian food news, I am meeting friends for lunch today at a Japanese place (which is about an hour from here)

What's up with y'all today??

2008-01-24 7:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Randers, Denmark
I had to stay home from work today; I think I have a flu coming. So I did skip my morning run, but now I feel like coming out in the fresh air. The weather is quite mild for the season here in Denmark, normally we have snow and ice at this time. Today it is up to 50°F, dry, but a lot of wind. The forecast for the weekend is heavy wind, rain and up to 45°F, so I might stay in door and use the trainer.

Chocolate (and M&M’s) are food for the gods, we should consider us self lucky that Christopher Columbus discovered America. As for normal food, I like healthy food, but I’m not fanatic. I do take the family to MacDonnell’s once in a while. I don’t train for weight loss, I’m steady around 155 lbs, but I did loose about 15 lbs when I started training.

Push ups work wonders, I learned that when I started boxing some years ago. My neighbour, who is a female world champ, started a fitness/boxing centre, so I had to try. Very good training, but I had to stop, due to time constraints.

As English is not my native language, I hope you all can understand what I’m writing. I do use the spell check, but sometimes the spelling is correct, but the meaning is slightly off.

And now I’m into my running shoes

Hans

Edited by DDTech 2008-01-24 7:36 AM
2008-01-24 7:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

Hans- I think your English is PHENOMENAL! I only wish I could speak a second language that fluently!!!!

2008-01-24 7:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Randers, Denmark
Two micro seconds after I hit the submit button I discovered an error. But that is how it goes when I’m not reading what I’m writing.

I helps that all my documentation at work must bee done in English, as I work with Norwegian, Swedish, German, Swiss and Americans.
2008-01-24 8:13 AM

User image

Master
South Florida

Hans, I only wish I was as good at my native language as you are at your second   It seems like EVERYONE I know is SICK!!!  Yuck.  I have 2 reschedules this am, so it's a less hectic day today, but tomorrow will suck.  OH well.  I'm sorry so many of you have to ride a trainer.  When everyone asks how I can stand living in Florida because it's so hot and humid, I point to the ability to train year round.  You acclimate.  It's foggy here, but I expect that will burn off by my 2pm bike start time  .  I have one hour on the bike and I'm looking forward to it.  I've really been liking the bike lately. 

I, too, eat mostly healthy, but enjoy life and the food that goes with it.  60 days prior to Ironman Florida, I cut out all alcohol and ate very clean.  I think it really made a difference in how I felt race day...then november and december were the months of anti-ironman   I'm easing back into the clean eating...so for dinner I had brown rice and broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, onions, tofu...then later had a bowl of lucky charms.  Like I said, I'm easing back

Have a fabulous day kids!!!

2008-01-24 8:31 AM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
That you even had Lucky Charms in the house as an option is funny!!!

2008-01-24 8:55 AM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX

Not much to add this morning.  My workout is done and I'm tired now.  Wish I could sleep under my desk until it's time for my massage.

I get bonus points for yesterday well actually a 1/2 a point.  I resisted the donuts yesterday and I bought ice cream for the house but we all had smoothies instead for our snack.  Mostly because they didn't know there was ice cream but that's beside the point.

On the bike question Amy....learn to spin easy without effort between the 80-95 range to the point where it isn't an effort but your not bouncing around on your seat either.  Once you can maintain that for your goal time period then go to a bigger ring and start over.  I love to keep up with the guys and that usually means pushing bigger gears but I'm having to slow down now that I'm going long and just learn to spin a high cadance in Z1/Z2.  It's driving me crazy because I was holding a 18mph pace and now I've slipped to low 17 pace the difference however will be that I will be able to go alot farther than an hour and a half bike and I'll be able to run a marathon when I'm done.   ...at least that's the plan.

2008-01-24 9:52 AM
in reply to: #1173490

User image

Veteran
Randers, Denmark
Mimir98 - 2008-01-24 3:13 PM

When everyone asks how I can stand living in Florida because it's so hot and humid, I point to the ability to train year round.  You acclimate.

That is what Jette keeps telling me, she lived in Miami for 10 years. I often wonder why she came back to Denmark, cold climate and high taxes. Of cause - she came back after me ;-)

When she lived there she did not train so much, but now she has completed her first sprint tri and a half marathon. Maybe she will do a race in Florida if we can find anything, while we are there.

Just got back from my “morning” run, took it easy, but I was okay. Tonight I will either go to spin class or take a ride on the trainer.

Hans
2008-01-24 11:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Effect Snow Country
Aside from the chocolate, my eating habits have been described as "my green hippy food" by J. He's pretty healthy too, but has been known to put entire donuts in his mouth at once. Its amazing, really.

I've had a long bike lay off and am trying to improve my spinning in harder gears. Its only been a couple of weeks, but I'm frustrated!!

My office Biggest Loser competition has given some incentive to lose the 8 I've gained. I'm cutting back to about 1800-2000 calories a day, as that is reasonable with the workouts and leaves me a fair amount of play in what I choose to eat. Of course, at that rate I'll lose less than a pound a week, but I'd prefer not to starve for a month to lose wt and then gain it back once I eat normally again.

Typically I try to determine what my workouts are, how much they burn and then divide by 7 to determine my caloric needs each day (I add that number to 1400, my sedentary bmr). So now I'm ranging from dead on to short 500 for each day, or short 2000 calories for the week.

That's way too much thinking...
2008-01-24 11:42 AM
in reply to: #1173991

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
Typically I try to determine what my workouts are, how much they burn and then divide by 7 to determine my caloric needs each day (I add that number to 1400, my sedentary bmr). So now I'm ranging from dead on to short 500 for each day, or short 2000 calories for the week.

I kept exact track of my activities for a few days then used this site http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.phpto come up with an average of what I burn each day. Then I tried to be 500-1000 under that per day (for a month). I kept an exact record of how many calories I ate and the fat % trying to stay around 15% calories from fat. The overhead of counting calories itself made me eat less. My wife did it too which made it easy. She's lost 7 lbs in January which is huge since she now weighs 103. Once February comes in we'll stop counting calories but we'll still eat a lot of the low-cal meals we've discovered.
2008-01-24 11:56 AM
in reply to: #1173490

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
Mimir98 - 2008-01-24 7:13 AM
When everyone asks how I can stand living in Florida because it's so hot and humid, I point to the ability to train year round.  You acclimate. 

I spent three weeks in Jupiter, FL this past fall and the heat/humidity almost killed me. My body does not deal with heat well but some of my buddies back in Texas love the hot summers. We don't have AC in our house (nobody does). During the summer it's pretty much 75ish and dry most every day and our doors/windows stay open for days.

2008-01-24 12:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Dork question:  how do you do pictures?  Actually, how do you get BT to accept your pix?  Every time I've tried, it keeps telling me that my pix are too big.  (I'm using Kodak software).  I did save a couple of pix of my training partners as the smallest version possible (I think they're called thumbnails -- something like 96 pixels) and BT accepted them.  I put them into an album, but they're so tiny    How do you get those beautiful pix in?????????
2008-01-24 12:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Effect Snow Country
After all that about calories and diet, I just ate and omelette, three pancakes and two pieces of toast for lunch.
2008-01-24 1:09 PM
in reply to: #1174262

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

jacsuza - 2008-01-24 11:55 AM Dork question: how do you do pictures? Actually, how do you get BT to accept your pix? Every time I've tried, it keeps telling me that my pix are too big. (I'm using Kodak software). I did save a couple of pix of my training partners as the smallest version possible (I think they're called thumbnails -- something like 96 pixels) and BT accepted them. I put them into an album, but they're so tiny How do you get those beautiful pix in?????????

Usually I just have to keep shrinking the jpeg file until I get below 100.  For me it is just trial and error.  Anyone have any better solutions? 

2008-01-24 1:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Randers, Denmark
Found this info:

--- Photos must of the following type
(.GIF, .PNG, .BMP, .JPG) and less than 200KB ---

You have to save your pictures before uploading them. I prefer .jpg and size them to app. 800 x 600 pixels (remember the max. file size of 200 KB)

There are many programs that allow you to edit a picture. Choose whatever you have on your computer. On a Windows machine you should have "Paint" and "Photoeditor" as standard

Hans

2008-01-24 2:59 PM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX

I download my pics to Corel Draw on my computer and then I resize them to 50% and then upload that to the album and it usually takes it.

WooHoo!!! I hour till my massage.

Edited by tri-chic 2008-01-24 2:59 PM

2008-01-24 5:46 PM
in reply to: #1173636

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

Well. tomorrow I will have to try to stay in that 80-95 (keep in mind that my bike computer isn't in yet- and then I have to get someone to hook it up for me). I have an 80 minute ride scheduled. It is going to be a push to ride that long and that fast for me, but I plan to watch a movie on pay per view and just take it from there. 

Today, I bought myself-

*The Nike + iPod for my running shoes. I think @ $29.00, it was not much of an investment, even though someone told me it's only accurate to about .2 of a mile. Truthfully, I usually don't do a run unless I already know the distance, so I will just be using it more as a fun toy that anything. If I like it, I will maybe get down with a Garmin as time goes on. If I don't, I know I don't need a Garmin.

*A new scale with body fat, BMI and hydration features. Again, at 49.99, I know this is not NASA type technology, but as I told my boss, at this point in my life, I don't have an need to know my PRECISE body fat %age, just as long as I can see it going DOWN. Again, if I find this is a useful tool, maybe I will invest in something better. I needed a new scale anyway (I think it might say I'm a pound lighter, but I will have to check for sure in the am at my normal weigh in time) and I wanted one that weighs to . 1 of a pound, instead of only by 1/2 pounds like mine.

*A new blender. Mine burned out two weeks ago, and though I don't smoothie every day, when I want one, I want one. This one is NOT top of the line by ANY MEANS, but for $20 on clearance,  it had it's own blend and go travel smoothie cup- since I usually drink them in the car on the way to work, that works for me.

In short, if nothing else, you should all be impressed at the way I can ever so craftily justify spending $100 on things that I know all could possibly be a waste of money. It's no wonder I'm an attorney.

2008-01-24 5:50 PM
in reply to: #1174591

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
tri-chic - 2008-01-24 2:59 PM

I download my pics to Corel Draw on my computer and then I resize them to 50% and then upload that to the album and it usually takes it.

WooHoo!!! I hour till my massage.

Let us know how it goes!!! I am something of a spa addict (I think I once called myself a spa , but that sounds so dirty). Last year, I actually got a embroidered pillow and a thank you note for my patronage from our fancy spa in town at the end of the year. I think my husband was horrified. Embarassed Do you get deep tissue or swedish? I had a deep tissue two weeks ago that kicked my axx.

Edited by aquinn 2008-01-24 5:51 PM
2008-01-24 6:27 PM
in reply to: #1174111

User image

Master
South Florida

breckview - 2008-01-24 12:56 PM
Mimir98 - 2008-01-24 7:13 AM When everyone asks how I can stand living in Florida because it's so hot and humid, I point to the ability to train year round.  You acclimate. 
I spent three weeks in Jupiter, FL this past fall and the heat/humidity almost killed me. My body does not deal with heat well but some of my buddies back in Texas love the hot summers. We don't have AC in our house (nobody does). During the summer it's pretty much 75ish and dry most every day and our doors/windows stay open for days.

Yes, I *heart* heat and humidity!  However, 75ish and dry with windows and doors open often describes our WINTERS!  Too dry, like in Arizona, and I've got nose bleeds and lizard skin! 

Steve, your wife must be a PEANUT at 103 pounds!  I haven't weighed that since high school!!!!

2008-01-24 8:29 PM
in reply to: #1174962

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Mimir98 - 2008-01-24 5:27 PM

Yes, I *heart* heat and humidity!  However, 75ish and dry with windows and doors open often describes our WINTERS!  Too dry, like in Arizona, and I've got nose bleeds and lizard skin! 

But it's a dry heat  (for 6-7 months out of the year).  I lived in Connecticut for 10 years in between stints here in Tucson.  A bad summer day there is worse than a bad summer day here.  However, the long hot dry season here can be extremely ennervating.    I spend a fortune on assorted lotions and potions.  Still haven't found one yet that I like.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mimir98's group-CLOSED AGAIN...FOR REAL THIS TIME Rss Feed  

of 36