BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Waterdog's Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2008-02-06 3:03 PM
in reply to: #1197683

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Week: 5 2008
First of all you really need to throw out the scale for a couple of weeks... honestly. I hate the scale. I can go from feeling great about the way i look to feeling like $hit in a matter of 15 seconds if I get on the scale.

Muscle growth while doing cardio/endurance is not going to happen, you usually will lose muscle mass. Please dont make yourself believe that you can gain that wieght in a week on muscle growth alone. I dont know much about your situation but 2.8 lbs is not even 1% of your body weight right? Hell that is just a BIG glass of water or a Really full bladder. I know the number is important to you but if you just keep at the running/walking and try and keep moving more than you did before you will shed pounds.

I dont know if others have found this so Ill just throw it out there.

When I was looking to drop a bunch of wieght, i seemed to stay the same and then just all the sudden drop like 5 - 7 lbs what felt like overnight. I am not sure if your boday holds on to water even if it is not needed for that wieght just to make sure you are not going to need it.,.. I dont know but that is what happened to me all the time.

Just a few ways you can "gain" weight during your week if you are true about your diet and training:
1. Salt intake = water retention
2. Sugar intake = water retention
3. Large dinner that you had the night before
4. Full bladder
5. Have not hit the morning throne visit.

2008-02-08 2:56 AM
in reply to: #1197728

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Week: 5 2008
I think you're right about throwing the scale out the window!! Believe me I felt like doing that many of days. It's just my ego gets the best of me sometimes and I always have to keep myself in check and be patient when it comes to my health and the goals I want to accomplish.. I appreciate your advice and will take that into consideration.
I know you can't gain 2.8lbs. of muscle in one week by just running. My brain tends to want to find a reason for such a bump in weight and any irrational logic will make sense. I haven't given up on this at all. I am considering a weight training regimen to compliment my running during the week. I 've lost enough and feel more flexible to start soon. Thanks again for sharing your personal experience and taking the time to respond to my little gripe session..Best of luck to you and your training goals...All the Best KEN
2008-02-08 5:29 PM
in reply to: #1103805

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: RE: Waterdog's Group - Full

Hope everyone has a great weekend

2008-02-11 1:56 AM
in reply to: #1202167

User image

New user

WEEK 5#: It's amazing how the body works! It never ceases to amaze me when you are in the process of changing your body for the better. This was a powerful week compared to last week. Contrary to what some of my fellow competitors suggested, I didn't throw the scale out the window. I still like to measure my progress. I was pleasantly surprised in that I lost another 7.9 LBS this week and the total YTD of 19.50 lbs. My Bodyfat % went down 2 percentage points. A great bounce back from last week. I broke the 300 pound marker and trudging along. It pays to focus on your daily activity and take it one day at a time. At this point, I wouldn't say that running is getting easier. I'm feeling incremental progress in running longer instead of walking. The minutes have increased for my sprints so I'm not going to lie and say that they are getting any easier. I will say that I like where I'm heading and that I'm also trying to not be so hard on myself. Well, I'm in this thing to lose weight, get in shape, and hopefully fall in love with a sport that I hear is rewarding on so many levels.
Thanks Baggyman for being frank and honest about approaching this thing.I'm ready to take on this week with a fire in my belly. I'm in the KILLZONE...locked and loaded. Happy Safe and productive workout week!!!

2008-02-11 6:36 AM
in reply to: #1204426

Extreme Veteran
andiamo989 - 2008-02-11 12:56 AM

Thanks Baggyman for being frank and honest about approaching this thing.I'm ready to take on this week with a fire in my belly. I'm in the KILLZONE...locked and loaded. Happy Safe and productive workout week!!!

No problem man. I am glad you had such a good week! Continue it and know there will be up and downs in your quest but that is what is going to make you love the good weeks even more. I should send you some before and after pics so that you know it can be done by training and being "healthy" Not that I am some star athlete or anything but I did drop quite a bit of weight and feel much better about everything in my life.

Again Congratz, and you can always look to me for "frank" and from the hip comments, I seem to speak before my brain thinkd
2008-02-11 6:38 AM
in reply to: #1202167

Extreme Veteran
WaterDog66 - 2008-02-08 4:29 PM

well my weekend sucked.... thanks for asking Other than a good date I am SICK, one of the downfalls of working in a hospital i guess. I cant walk across the room with out my HR getting up to 170... hell that is a better work out than my bike i guess lol Hope everyone else had a better time.

2008-02-11 9:16 AM
in reply to: #1204488

User image

Extreme Veteran
Podunk County, MN
baggyman - 2008-02-11 6:38 AM
WaterDog66 - 2008-02-08 4:29 PM

well my weekend sucked.... thanks for asking Other than a good date I am SICK, one of the downfalls of working in a hospital i guess. I cant walk across the room with out my HR getting up to 170... hell that is a better work out than my bike i guess lol Hope everyone else had a better time.

Sorry you're sick, Chris - I was at the beginning of last week, so I really sympathize.  Kinda sent my last week's training for a spin, but I'm back on board for this week.

Take it easy, lots of fluids, you know the drill.  Feel better soon! 

2008-02-11 11:05 AM
in reply to: #1204487

User image

New user

Frank, That will be awesome...Any images you can send of your lifetime progress would be great!! It will help me out during those times of frustration..

Ken
[email protected]
2008-02-11 11:05 AM
in reply to: #1204488

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

baggyman - 2008-02-11 4:38 AM  well my weekend sucked.... thanks for asking Other than a good date I am SICK, one of the downfalls of working in a hospital i guess. I cant walk across the room with out my HR getting up to 170... hell that is a better work out than my bike i guess lol Hope everyone else had a better time.

Yeah, seems like the season for everyone to be getting sick. Seems like it comes with the rest of the package when it comes to training for endurance events.

At least it did not hit you during taper time for your "A" Race

Hope you  get well soon.

2008-02-11 11:06 AM
in reply to: #1205055

User image

New user

My Bad...I thought your name was Frank...Thanks Baggyman
2008-02-11 11:17 AM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: Week 6: 2008

How did everyone's week go last week. Sounds like a few of us (Me included) were battling some sort of illness through our training. It is certainly the season for it.

We seem to be down quite a few folks from our original count. But we do have a great group of folks who have stuck around and participated with some great training and support.

I wanted to throw out for the group, the idea of opening it up for a few more participants to fill in for the missing folks. (I think most all of them have not signed in since the first week of January at the latest) I plan on keeping a seat at the table for them in case they decide to join in. (I think one of them has canceled his BT Account so he is gone for good)

As for the question of the week:

What Interesting Sights or Smells are more memorable from one of your training sessions. Do you run past a Coffee Roaster, or maybe a Bread Factory or Fish Cannery? Maybe you have seen something cool on a run like a elk, a bear or a coyote. (Hopefully not a Mountain Lion or a Grizzly)

Hope everyone has a great week

2008-02-11 12:24 PM
in reply to: #1205096

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Week 6: 2008
I am all for opening up the group to new members. Some new blood would be great and hopefully spark some discussion and debate on topics that intrest us all as we train for out goals.

Q of the week.

I love to be outside. I havent always been that way but I am now and regret the time spent on the couch and in front of a game or computer. I love all the sounds and smells that I run across while out side training. Where I live now on the trail that I do most of my running on there is a couple large herds of Antelope as well as grazing cattle, mountian lions (thankfully i have yet to see one of these), lots of reptiles and a bob cat that I see infrequently. They make me smile when I am hurting the most.... but I envy thier agility and quickness. Watching them clear a 6 foot fence with out breaking stride and looking back at me with a stare of empathy while I land foot after foot out of breath and out of a human element.

I do have a very memorable time on that trail this past summer during our monsoon season. I left the house for 14 mile run out and back 7 - 7. There was some clouds forming off in the distance but no rain or thunderstorms in the forcast. By the time I got to mile 4 I knew I was going to be in trouble so I turned around and started back home. The wind, rain, hail, and eventually the lightning caught up with me. I was in very close proximity of 4 lightning strikes during my last 3 miles of running. So close that the hair on my arms, legs and head would stand up on end about a second before the strike. The sound of the strike would make my ears ring and for a second I would not be able to hear anything else. But the most amazing thing was the smell produced by the strike. Do you know or have you ever smelled the desert after rain? It has a clensing smell.... ozone i think is the word for it.... Well that smell was so powerful that I will never forget it...even as i sit here and type i swear I can smell it.

I eventually made it off of the trail and home to my kids but wondered the whole way if it was ever going to happen. The last mile was ran in water over my ankle and my final 20 yards i had to cross a ditch to get to the road... water is so powerful but I was able to push through.... scary times.

My week of training went well. I am right at the 10 hour mark for last week and wonder how I am going to fit in any more time in to my busy schedule for my IM training. But I am sure that It will work out well. Hope to get over this stinking sickness in time for a sprint on Sunday and so I can get back to the road to CdA. The Flu has hit arizona real hard this last couple weeks... I did get the flu shot like i do every year... so hopefully it will help me recover faster if it is the flu that i have

2008-02-11 3:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Douglas County
I'm game for opening it up for new people--- it's fun to see Team Waterdog at the top of the page every day!
Last week's training went well....I managed to hit every workout that I had planned, went mountain biking for my first time (what a workout), and had a blast on my new bike.  Everyone has been sick around here, but thankfully, my Zicam-sniffing managed to fight off the scratchy throat and dry cough that I felt for 1/2 the week.  My knees are finally getting into a groove, although I'm doing my PT every day trying to make sure I don't have any flare-ups.  This week, am looking forward to some of the longer swims we have planned.  I'm about over the speedwork. 
Sights and sounds in our training, huh?  Well, this week I had to come to a complete stop on a busy bike trail to maneuver through a whole flock of ducks!  (Are ducks in flocks?  or gaggles?)  Nonetheless, they were adamant about not moving.  It was kind of amusing.  When we bike the Back Bay, we get to see gorgeous waterfowl.....herons, egrets, pelicans.....  When I lived in Colorado, there were plenty of occasions where I'd have to slam on my brakes to avoid bull snakes....here in CA, I swerve to avoid rattlesnakes.  And swimming, I suppose the most exciting thing I've spotted is a potted Sago palm.  (What'd you think I was going to say?  Shark?!)  It was a lovely tree that somebody must have thrown off of their boat.  One of my trainingmates actually dragged it to shore and kept it-- she said it was a nice plant. 
So, that's the extent of my excitement.  Thankfully no bears or mountain lions.  Just snakes and vegetation.
Ken, congrats on the weight loss this week!  I am exceedingly jealous.....well done.
2008-02-11 6:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Podunk County, MN

I'm up for opening it up as well.  A few more bodies around would be nice.

As for interesting sights, I have had many.  First, on a trail that I often run and bike in the spring/summer/fall, I will often scare up deer (or they'll scare me).  That run goes by a mine pit lake, and it can be really beautiful... the deep red of the turned ground against the dark of the water.  I plan to start taking my camera phone along on my runs and take pictures as I go, because I often feel like I see cool stuff.

Oh, and I also found a huge field of blackberries on this run - on a couple of runs I stopped and had a quick snack, and then came back later with my husband and the kids to pick berries (which made an awesome crumble).

Last summer I also decided (against my better judgment) to go out for a run along Lake Superior when there was a thunderstorm coming through fast.  It was so cool - the clouds just poured over the top of the hill toward the lake - again, I wish I had a picture.  It wasn't fun running, but the sights made up for it! 

2008-02-11 6:25 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: RE: Waterdog's Group - Open For a Few More

Wow, everyone has seen some great stuff while out training.

I do a lot of my runs down at the beach but at odd times and get to experience the local wildlife in peace and quiet. Dolphins are common and certain times of the year we get whales close enough to see from the land. (Grey Whales)

Closer to home, Coyotes are common to hear and sometimes seen (Especially when you come around a turn late in the afternoon)

The smells seem to be what I remember most. The Annis along the northern part of the trail along Camp Pendleton (Annis smells like black Licorice) and of course, the many smells associated with the ocean. Different parts of the year, it will have a different smell.

Even when the surf picks up, it will take on a different aroma. (Southern Hemisphere South Swells smell differently than Northern Swells coming down from Alaska) I think it has something to do with the changes in the currents.

This week has been a strong week for me. My training paces have picked up as I head into my second build cycle. Have been struggling a bit with hydration and nutrition (Not getting enough to sustain my workouts) but I seem to be getting back on track with my rest day today.

Seems like the whole idea of training through a half marathon has worked out well. This is the 4th time I have tried this and I think I am finally getting the hang of it.

My ortho appointment was moved from Friday to Tuesday so it looks like no swimming this week. (Unless my PT says otherwise) They are going to do some imaging of my shoulder and determine how well it is healing up. (It feels nearly 100% at this point)

Another build week for me and this rest day is setting me up nicely for another strong week.

Oh, and I opened up the group for a few more fresh faces. I think it sorta went the same way last year too. We started out with 8-10 folks and it very quicky whittled down to 4-5 active members.

Thank you all for your participation and support

2008-02-12 8:29 AM
in reply to: #1205815

User image

Extreme Veteran
Podunk County, MN
mtngirlincali - 2008-02-11 3:50 PM
So, that's the extent of my excitement.  Thankfully no bears or mountain lions.  Just snakes and vegetation.
Ken, congrats on the weight loss this week!  I am exceedingly jealous.....well done.

I forgot to mention that there has also been some bear sign on the trail I run, so I always try to keep my wits about me.  Not sure what I'd do, but I've run into black bears before (we used to have one that would raid the garbage at our old house), so I hope I'd be able to handle it.  If not, well...

And Ken, I think what you're doing is great.  The health gains that you make with each pound lost and each mile walked/run/biked/swam are so important.  Keep it up... hopefully I'll soon be dropping a few of the 15 or so I've picked up as "winter insulation".

2008-02-12 9:27 AM

User image

Royal Oak, MI

Well, I can't say I've really had much to look at since I started my training. Its only 24 degrees here in Royal Oak, MI with wind chills below zero. Let's just say I can't wait for summer. I'm not an indoor person and that's probably why there are times I hate living here. I'd rather be back in my house in Cave Creek, AZ, but, my wife won't move so, end of discussion. I try to envision being outside while I run around the indoor track. I'm really looking forward to running in my first 5k run this April in Tempe, AZ. That race is close enough to keep my motivation and focus on training and should get me over the hump this winter.

It is great here in the summer! We have thousands of lakes and the weather is usually pretty mild. My parents live on a lake about 25 min North of us, so I can't wait to take what I've learned in the pool this winter and apply it to some distances in open water on the weekends. We have a really great park system too with tons of mountain biking and running trails. Again the only struggle is to brave this long cold winter.

Its great to know that everyone is still on track and meeting or exceeding their goals. You're all an inspiration. Keep up the good work.

2008-02-12 11:47 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Sounds like everyone had a pretty good week

Congratulations Ken, that is some great progress.

Bears

I suspect that they are not really compatible with good running form.

Take care everyone

2008-02-13 12:27 AM
in reply to: #1208694

User image

Veteran
Douglas County

WaterDog66 - 2008-02-12 11:47 PM

Bears

I suspect that they are not really compatible with good running form.

I think I might disagree with you here, Tim.....  If good form equals free speed, then I'd make darn sure while running away from a bear that I was using the best running form possible!<G>

Have seen them while camping, actually.  I ended up hyperventilating in a tent whilst they hit the campgrounds' trash cans in the middle of the night.  I think I prefer the mountain lions, to be honest. 

2008-02-13 11:30 AM
in reply to: #1208734

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
mtngirlincali - 2008-02-12 10:27 PM

I think I might disagree with you here, Tim.....  If good form equals free speed, then I'd make darn sure while running away from a bear that I was using the best running form possible!

Have seen them while camping, actually.  I ended up hyperventilating in a tent whilst they hit the campgrounds' trash cans in the middle of the night.  I think I prefer the mountain lions, to be honest. 

Yeah, I think you might have a point there. Better to get away then try and wrassle with him I suppose

We actually saw a few of them in Banff a few years ago while out hiking but they were more scared of us then we are of them. They told us to sing loudly along the trail and even hell out "Yo Bear" from time to time. (Better to let them know your coming then to startle them I guess)

I also learned that Bear Bells are worthless

2008-02-13 11:48 AM
in reply to: #1209536

Extreme Veteran
WaterDog66 - 2008-02-13 10:30 AM
They told us to sing loudly along the trail

Yeah i can feel for the bear... i would be scared also

2008-02-13 4:25 PM
in reply to: #1209586

User image

Extreme Veteran
Podunk County, MN

I wasn't going to tell this story, but it's too good to pass up since we're still talking about bears and I actually have a few minutes to type now. 

So we had this black bear that would get in the garbage.  I'd seen it a few times, walking on the road, etc.  We kept the garbage can right up near the house for a while, thinking that would keep him off it, but no... I heard noises one night and looked out the window and the bear was probably 3 feet away from me, digging in the bin.

So a day or two later (we hadn't gotten around to moving it yet), my husband was home and he heard the same sound.  Yeah, the bear again.  Well, my husband (who's really very mild mannered and normally a very smart man) sometimes acts before thinking, so he stepped out onto the porch and yelled at the bear "Hey, hey - get out of here!" (Kind of on the same theory as the singing to scare it off.)

The bear ran off down the driveway, and now we come to my husband's true moment of machismo stupidity (which he readily admits).  He ran after it.  He said that he was about half way down our driveway (the bear was at the end of the driveway... about 100 feet away), and the bear stopped and looked at him.

He said there was a moment where you could feel the power shift between him and the bear as my husband pulled a Wile.E Coyote-esque turnaround and high tailed it back to the house.  The imagery (for me, anyway) is priceless!

2008-02-13 4:58 PM
in reply to: #1210568

Extreme Veteran
that is too funny... I equate that with the time I smashed my head against the door when I turned around... got so pissed that i did that I hit the door with my fist promptly breaking my hand. Now what did i think i was going to do? hurt the door for hurting me???? WTF

That is so funny that he took off after "Ben".. the bear was like... "huh what does he think he is going to do other than be my morning snack?"
2008-02-13 5:39 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Thank was pretty funny

I was eating a fortune cookie as I was reading this and promptly dropped the fortune I was laughing so hard. (Still can't find it)

I guess the whole fear factor for the bear wore off pretty quickly

2008-02-14 8:56 AM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Happy Valentine's Day Everyone

Edited by WaterDog66 2008-02-14 8:57 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Waterdog's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 14