BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2011-02-14 9:04 PM
in reply to: #2555906

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
Subject: RE: Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed.
hi everyone!

just wanted to say hello - I've been out of pocket the last week, was in vegas for a week long meeting and the weekend prior  was the fun weather havoc!

hope you are all doing well and getting some good training in.

warren - hope the first day was good!

2011-02-16 5:52 PM
in reply to: #3355317

User image

NH
barelfly - 2011-02-14 10:04 PM hi everyone!

just wanted to say hello - I've been out of pocket the last week, was in vegas for a week long meeting and the weekend prior  was the fun weather havoc!

First few days have been great, and I started to run again at lunch today.  There's a great loop nearby, though it's dangerous getting there by foot since the snow banks are into the streets down there.  I can't wait for spring!

Let's hear from some of our IMCdA folks - how is the training going?  And Aaron and Bob have tris coming up fairly soon.
2011-02-16 6:44 PM
in reply to: #3358896

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
wbayek - 2011-02-16 6:52 AM
barelfly - 2011-02-14 10:04 PM hi everyone!

First few days have been great, and I started to run again at lunch today.  There's a great loop nearby, though it's dangerous getting there by foot since the snow banks are into the streets down there.  I can't wait for spring!

Let's hear from some of our IMCdA folks - how is the training going?  And Aaron and Bob have tris coming up fairly soon.

Snow banks are truly treacherous...spring can't come soon enough for me!

How's the IM training going Rene? Aaron? Matt? Hard to believe it is a short 3 months away.

2011-02-17 5:38 PM
in reply to: #3347761

User image

Expert
WA
wbayek - 2011-02-09 2:56 AM So today was officially my last day of work at the startup I've been at for 9 years!  Feels really strange.  I start at my new job Monday, so really no time off.  I've been in a little motivational running funk lately, so I'm planning to at least use these 2 days to jump start my running.

I've signed up for a May 1st half marathon, so I have to get back on the running bandwagon right now.

Congrats on the new job!  Hope it is going well!
2011-02-18 9:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
quick question for the group - when training for an Oly distance, what type of distance were you swimming per workout?

I've hit 1500 the last two swims and know I need to build, but how how much more do I build.

thanks for your input.
2011-02-18 2:27 PM
in reply to: #3361536

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
Jeremy - The only advise I can give is to swim as much as you have time for.  I don't think you can spend to much time in the water unless it interferes with other things.  While training for my IM I was hitting between 2000 and 4500m and was able to set PR's at the sprint distance.  As to what a minimum is, I can't help you there.

Warren - Great news about the new job!

Hope all the training is going well for everyone.  There isn't much time for training here this year, but I wouldn't trade it.

2011-02-18 7:13 PM
in reply to: #3361536

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
barelfly - 2011-02-17 10:57 PM quick question for the group - when training for an Oly distance, what type of distance were you swimming per workout?

I've hit 1500 the last two swims and know I need to build, but how how much more do I build.

thanks for your input.

Based on my vast experience <snerk>, I just wanted to be sure I could complete the distance, plus a little more for comfort. By the time the race rolled around, I could swim 2000y pretty regularly and did two 4000y swims a couple of weeks before. I agree with Ray - I would let time be the limiting factor - train as much as time will allow.
2011-02-19 8:54 AM

User image

NH
Jeremy - I  would agree that you should swim as much as you can given the time you have.  I'll add my disclaimer though.  Once you have your form down pretty well and can swim around the 1:45/100 pace for long periods, the bang for the buck swimming goes down dramatically.  That said I love swimming and would do it all the time if there were a free pool nearby!

Ray - Definitely use your time this year on James and your wife.

Thanks all for the birthday wishes on facebook.  It's great to hear from all of you.  The job looks great so far though commuting is a big adjustment!
2011-02-22 8:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Warren - glad to hear you are settling into your new job and all is going well on that front (other than the commute).

Jeremy - I did an Olympic race last year, but it was towards the end of my HIM training program, but the swim was a big challenge and a good primer for my HIM.  I think the key is to swim as much as you need to do the distance comfortably in training.

IMCDA update - week 3 of 20 -we?ll, so far??? training is going good, I am following the BT Beg. program? ?a?n?d it starts out with low hrs comparatively to other plans (8 hrs per week).  So the real test will be ramping up? ?f?r?o?m? ?h?e?r?e.  ??I? ?a?m? ?i?n? ?t?i?m?e? ?t?r?i?a?l? ?w?e?e?k?,? ?????I? ?d?i?d?n?'?t? ?e?x?p?e?c?t? ?t?o? ?b?e? ?d?o?i?n?g? ?a?l?l? ?t?h?r?e?e? ?s?p?o?r?t?s? ?t?i?m?e? ?t?r?i?a?l?s? ?i?n? ?o?n?e? ?w?e?e?k?,? ?b?u?t? ?t?h?a?t? ?i?s? ?w?h?a?t? ?t?h?e? ?p?l?a?n? ?c?a?l?l?s? ?f?o?r?.? ? ??I? ?h?a?v?e? ?a? ?h?a???l?f?????? ??m?a?r?y? ?s?a?m?e? ?a?s? ??J?e?n? ?t?h?i?s? ?s?u?n?d?a?y?,? ?i?t? ?i?s? ?s?u?p?p?o?s?e?d? ?t?o? ?b?e? ?a? ?h?i?l?l?y? ?c?o?u?r?s?e?,? ?s?o? ?i?t? ?s?h?o?u?l?d? ???g?i?v?e? ?m?e? ?a? ?g?o?o?d? ?t?e?s?t? ?a?n?d? ?t?r?a?i?n?i?n?g? ?d?a?y?.? ????????
2011-02-22 8:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
last post was cut off...

all three sports have time trials this week, which is surprising to have them all in one week and I have a half mary on sunday just like Jennifer.  The half mary is hilly I hear, so it will be a good prep and training for IMCDA. 

AND I got a new Trek Speed Concept 7.2 from my company for a 10 yr anniversary present, we went over and paid for it today and now just waiting on new crankset and cockpit upgrades to get in and put on the bike and I'll bring the new baby home for a ride!

Can't believe we are kicking off the season this week already and Bob has the first tri of 2011!! GO BOB!!

And good luck Jennifer!

Have fun training and racing this week!! YeaHAA!!
2011-02-23 12:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
Sounds like a fun weekend of sweating (or freezing for you east coasters). Have fun everyone...this is supposed to be fun!

2011-02-23 2:03 PM

User image

NH
Good luck this weekend Bob and Jennifer.  I think the weather will be ok for Jennifer's half - it's supposed to be a little over freezing for the start.  No comment on Bob's weather since we hate him for living in So Cal.

Are any of you entered in the Kona lottery?  Just wondering.  I may start entering next year just to see.  Now that would be a crazy trip!
2011-02-24 4:06 PM
in reply to: #3348262

User image

Expert
WA
mdfahy - 2011-02-09 5:09 PM Question:  Looking at tt bikes and thinking of upgrading cranks.  My LBS said that is one of the best areas to spend $ if you have it, actually he said, crank, wheels and pedals (moving parts).  However, I don't know much about cranks, so thus my question.  Any recommendations on crank upgrades for a tt bike?  I see FSA alot.  Thanks!

Yes I have heard FSA also.  Folks doing CDA even suggest a compact crank so your legs are a little fresher off the bike. 
2011-02-24 4:12 PM
in reply to: #3362898

User image

Expert
WA
wbayek - 2011-02-18 6:54 PM Jeremy - I  would agree that you should swim as much as you can given the time you have.  I'll add my disclaimer though.  Once you have your form down pretty well and can swim around the 1:45/100 pace for long periods, the bang for the buck swimming goes down dramatically.  That said I love swimming and would do it all the time if there were a free pool nearby!

I agree with Warren, 1-1.5 hours or 2000-3000 yards, 2 or 3 days a week and drop to two once you get to the pace he mentions.   I swam masters all last year and did what ever their work out is. 
2011-02-24 4:23 PM
in reply to: #3358960

User image

Expert
WA
itsallrelative_Maine - 2011-02-16 4:44 AM

How's the IM training going Rene? Aaron? Matt? Hard to believe it is a short 3 months away.

For me, it actually has been a LIFESTYLE change.  Everyday I think about the race and the workout for the day.  It is VERY CONSUMING, because all the time that is needed for the long workouts.  Yesterday I rode the bike for an hour and then ran for 30 minutes and it felt good.   Of course there are days when I am tired and don't want to train, but I do anyway because I feel I have to.  For the most part I like training, I feel I am getting better at all disciplines and that my is ADAPTING to this madness. Smile

And finally, my foot has been doing A LOT better.  I have done multiple runs for an hour and it felt great, not 100% but getting better!  PROGRESS!

Hope everyone's training is going well! 
Good luck Jen, Bob and Bill this weekend! 

Rock it!!
2011-02-24 6:59 PM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
It sounds like everyone's year is going well so far - an improvement in injuries, time spent with loved ones, new jobs and great training. It's nice to hear.

Thanks so much for the kind words about the race on Sunday. Anyone here who knows I am racing has consistently asked the same question...why? It's freezing cold and supposed to rain/snow? Are you nuts? Forecast has a 60% chance (right now) of snow before 2pm...so it looks like cold wet feet for me. I'm looking at it as an opportunity to build some serious character (not that I need any of that). I'm pretty happy with my training coming up to the race and am hoping to beat my time from the half marathon I did last May (2:11).

Best of luck to Bob and his boys on Saturday - should be nice and warm for you all...sigh.

And finally - best of luck to Matt - running his first half marathon since the hip surgery! Woot!

2011-02-25 2:23 PM
in reply to: #3371513

User image

Expert
WA
itsallrelative_Maine - 2011-02-24 4:59 AM

And finally - best of luck to Matt - running his first half marathon since the hip surgery! Woot!

Wow Matt!  You're doing a half mary already???!!!  That is some quick recovery!

Best of luck on the half !!
2011-02-26 11:38 AM

User image

NH
Wow, busy weekend for us already.  Bob has already rocked his tri, hopefully it was great one.  Reverse events sounds tough.

It looks like Jennifer will be running in the snow tomorrow morning.  Good luck and at least you're prepared for that weather with the winter we've had!

And finally - Matt, you're an animal.  Take it easy on that hip.  I agree that you've had a remarkable recovery.
2011-02-28 7:08 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
It looks like both Matt and Bob had a great weekend! Good job!

The race in Hyannis was not my best performance and I came in well past my goal time...but the conditions were terrible. A friend of mine came down with me to run the full and her times were much slower than normal as well. Overall, it is a beautiful course but the snow/sleet/rain for the entire race were challenging at best.

Now, I've got a month until the next one - which is much more hilly...taking today off (I am wiped out, and as I have said a 5+ hour car ride after the run is not the ideal recovery plan), but back at it on Tuesday!
2011-02-28 10:21 AM
in reply to: #3375027

User image

Extreme Veteran
good job Jennifer! if anything - look at what you accomplished mentally. nothing can hold you back after what you went through yesterday. You know you can run - but now you can run and get through just about anything.

enjoy a few off days
2011-02-28 12:26 PM
in reply to: #3375407

User image

NH
barelfly - 2011-02-28 11:21 AM good job Jennifer! if anything - look at what you accomplished mentally. nothing can hold you back after what you went through yesterday. You know you can run - but now you can run and get through just about anything.

enjoy a few off days

Agreed.  I have to tell you guys that the weather Sunday was about as bad as it gets around here.   If it's just cold, you dress right and it's fine.  If it's snowing, again with the right clothes it's a minor annoyance.  But yesterday it was right at the freezing temp line and preciptiating all day, so it was raining/sleeting and cold enough that you chill through because you're wet.   It's just the nastiest stuff to be outside in.  Great job Jennifer.

2011-02-28 12:30 PM

User image

NH
Wow, Matt's race report doesn't have one mention of the hip.  That has to be the best feeling.  That's a great recovery.  On to IMCdA!
2011-02-28 3:12 PM
in reply to: #3375687

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
wbayek - 2011-02-28 1:30 AM Wow, Matt's race report doesn't have one mention of the hip.

You're right! That is fantastic!
2011-02-28 8:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Thanks guys, but Jennifer definitely took the day with that weather challenge, awesomeness!!

Great job Bob, kickin' a tri in February, that just rocks!

As I was complaining about my legs (calves mostly from the hills) hurting today I realized...I'm not complaining about my hip!  Thanks for everyone's support through my injury, hopefully I've learned an important lesson.  Also, I've been trying to do yoga once a week, and it is amazing how flexible and loose I feel after just 30 minutes. 

Have a great week, starting a new month tomorrow!
2011-02-28 8:36 PM
in reply to: #3369087

User image

Veteran
Richmond
wbayek - 2011-02-23 2:03 PM Good luck this weekend Bob and Jennifer.  I think the weather will be ok for Jennifer's half - it's supposed to be a little over freezing for the start.  No comment on Bob's weather since we hate him for living in So Cal.

Are any of you entered in the Kona lottery?  Just wondering.  I may start entering next year just to see.  Now that would be a crazy trip!

Ummmm....yes, I entered lottery.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  

of 76