BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Come and play with aquagirl and mav ! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2010-03-24 7:44 AM
in reply to: #2559403

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Subject: RE: Come and play with aquagirl and mav ! CLOSED
Morning all!

So. I am going to take a break from the pool.....COMPLETELY. It is frustrating me to no end to see no improvements so I am gonna walk away for a while. And research a good swim coach. Someone who really can make me into aqaugirl. 
But for now I am gonna be a land mammal........... 

2010-03-24 7:48 AM
in reply to: #2744559

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Mojo11 - 2010-03-24 8:14 AM
mav - 2010-03-23 5:38 PM
Mojo11 - 2010-03-22 6:24 PM Sorry I've been absent for a while and not competing in the challenge - a lot of work issues and family stuff going on - I hope everyone is doing well.  Still training regularly, but my mind has been consumed with other things during the down time.  This week I'm taking it slow, then 3 good hard weeks and a taper week before my first Olympic distance at St Anthonys April 25th. 
I believe Lisa is coming down for it - hopefully we'll have the chance to meet!!  Also found out I need a wetsuit for it - anyone ever rented one??  Probably not with this group of cold weather folks  Wetsuit warehouse has them for $40 - I cant see buying one living in FL.
Happy training all

Why is it that silly life gets in the way??? It happens to everyone!!!LOL Just make sure you come back when things settle!!!

Try looking in the Florida forums or on the race thread and ask other Floridians where they rent their wet suits. If you dont have any luck..Socks here on BT is from Fla...she is very kind and knows alot about triathlon, she will be able to point you in the right direction. I think she is also doing St A's.

Thanks Mav.  One of the guys in my running group offered to loan me his full suit - he's the same size as me.  I think I would like a sleeveless one to allow for more mobility, but I think I'll borrow his this week and try it out in the pool and see how it feels. 
I hope everyone has a great day-

Mike trying it out first is VERY wise. You really need to see if it fits right, and get used to how it feels to swim in a wetsuit if you are not used to it.
Be sure to get it on right as well........... this is not as silly as it sounds.  A newbie mistake is to not spend enough time pulling it up as far as possible in the crotch area and then having it tug down on your shoulders. Less of an issue with a sleeveless suit but still........
2010-03-24 10:04 AM
in reply to: #2744652

User image

Veteran
Lakeland, FL
aquagirl - 2010-03-24 7:48 AM
Mojo11 - 2010-03-24 8:14 AM
mav - 2010-03-23 5:38 PM
Mojo11 - 2010-03-22 6:24 PM Sorry I've been absent for a while and not competing in the challenge - a lot of work issues and family stuff going on - I hope everyone is doing well.  Still training regularly, but my mind has been consumed with other things during the down time.  This week I'm taking it slow, then 3 good hard weeks and a taper week before my first Olympic distance at St Anthonys April 25th. 
I believe Lisa is coming down for it - hopefully we'll have the chance to meet!!  Also found out I need a wetsuit for it - anyone ever rented one??  Probably not with this group of cold weather folks  Wetsuit warehouse has them for $40 - I cant see buying one living in FL.
Happy training all

Why is it that silly life gets in the way??? It happens to everyone!!!LOL Just make sure you come back when things settle!!!

Try looking in the Florida forums or on the race thread and ask other Floridians where they rent their wet suits. If you dont have any luck..Socks here on BT is from Fla...she is very kind and knows alot about triathlon, she will be able to point you in the right direction. I think she is also doing St A's.

Thanks Mav.  One of the guys in my running group offered to loan me his full suit - he's the same size as me.  I think I would like a sleeveless one to allow for more mobility, but I think I'll borrow his this week and try it out in the pool and see how it feels. 
I hope everyone has a great day-

Mike trying it out first is VERY wise. You really need to see if it fits right, and get used to how it feels to swim in a wetsuit if you are not used to it.
Be sure to get it on right as well........... this is not as silly as it sounds.  A newbie mistake is to not spend enough time pulling it up as far as possible in the crotch area and then having it tug down on your shoulders. Less of an issue with a sleeveless suit but still........

Thanks Helen - good advice.  My only experience in a wetsuit is surfing and its been years.  Never swam in one-
2010-03-24 11:01 AM
in reply to: #2744638

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
aquagirl - 2010-03-24 7:42 AM
1stTimeTri - 2010-03-23 9:06 PM BTW - I sense a new thread coming up soon - yes?

How come?
Is there a limit as to how many pages a thread can get??

Usually should start a new thread before 100 pages are reached.  Ask D001 about it and she can probably be more elaborate.
2010-03-25 3:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Polar Bear Alley
What do you think, should I make a road bike or a tri bike?  This year will be sprints and 1 Oly, next year will be 1 sprint, 2 Oly and 2 HIM.  I will definitely want a tri bike for my next season so should I just go with that off the start?  My biking experience is...well there isn't any lol, BUT I'm definitely a go-getter and willing to learn.  I know "how" to ride a bike but have not really been on one in about 10 years or so (except for an embarrassing 15min. episode last year).  Should I build a road bike then convert it to a tri-bike, can you even do that?  I'm going to be getting a few extra funds for this project so $$ is less of an issue now.  Thanks in advance for any info!
2010-03-25 4:05 PM
in reply to: #2748892

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2010-03-25 5:01 PM

Veteran
Polar Bear Alley
Thanks Bopper for the info, I'll be asking my LBS some questions now. 

Sorry to do this to you guys but here are some question that have been rolling around in my head lately:

Do I have to tape my handle bars?  Why?

How difficult is it to change gears?  I am reading a book "Triathlon: Start to Finish" and they seem to spend a lot of time saying "make sure you...before a corner", "becarefull of...going down a hill", etc. when it comes to switching gears otherwise you're chain jumps off.  Is there any rules that are easy to follow for biking beginners when it comes to switching gears?  Also, what is a big ring/little ring? 

I do have more questions but am going to try doing a bit of research first and if I'm still confused will be back asking more.
(Thanks for the patience)
2010-03-25 6:16 PM
in reply to: #2749093

Edited by Bopper 2010-03-25 6:17 PM
2010-03-25 6:34 PM
in reply to: #2749246

2010-03-25 9:11 PM

Regular
Thank you, Helen, for the invitation!  Had a great day running and I am feeling more positive now.  i can do this!
2010-03-26 7:18 AM
in reply to: #2748892

Uxbridge
tryin2tri - 2010-03-25 4:55 PM What do you think, should I make a road bike or a tri bike?  This year will be sprints and 1 Oly, next year will be 1 sprint, 2 Oly and 2 HIM.  I will definitely want a tri bike for my next season so should I just go with that off the start?  My biking experience is...well there isn't any lol, BUT I'm definitely a go-getter and willing to learn.  I know "how" to ride a bike but have not really been on one in about 10 years or so (except for an embarrassing 15min. episode last year).  Should I build a road bike then convert it to a tri-bike, can you even do that?  I'm going to be getting a few extra funds for this project so $$ is less of an issue now.  Thanks in advance for any info!

Kevin has given you GREAT.....REALLY great info...he is so wise!!! I will say though, that I would go with a tri bike right from the begining. I purchased a road bike first and adapted it with aerobars, a year later I bought a tri bike. I almost never ride my road bike. I do think this is a personal prefrence. Take the extra money ( not spent on 2 bikes) and spend it on other cool tri stuff. Shopping is the fourth sport of triathlon!!!

2010-03-26 7:18 AM
in reply to: #2749615

Uxbridge
gomom_shell - 2010-03-25 10:11 PM Thank you, Helen, for the invitation!  Had a great day running and I am feeling more positive now.  i can do this!

Welcome to the group!!!!
2010-03-26 7:19 AM

Uxbridge
Hows the biking going for everyone?????
2010-03-26 7:30 AM

Extreme Veteran
Good Morning Everyone,

Welcome to the group Shelly. 

The biking is going well, recovery week for me.  I have one more ride scheduled for sunday.  Will that still be in the competition?  I had to put the bike back on the trainer due to life and cold weather again.  I'm hoping to get back outside soon.  I hadn't realized what a difference indoor and outdoor rides were for me until this year.  I'm also waiting for a calm day to get a better comparison.  It's been so windy. 

The lanes were out of the pool this morning.  It was good to swim with a little turbulance. 

Helen, are you turning into a duathlete?  Land Mammal? 
Happy Friday!!!

Take care Kevin, hope you are back to full speed soon.
Kelly
2010-03-26 8:42 AM
in reply to: #2749958

2010-03-26 8:50 AM

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
gomom_shell - 2010-03-25 10:11 PM Thank you, Helen, for the invitation!  Had a great day running and I am feeling more positive now.  i can do this!

www.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.ws
Glittery texts by bigoo.ws

Edited by aquagirl 2010-03-26 8:50 AM

2010-03-26 8:52 AM

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow

YES YOU CAN!!! 
2010-03-26 8:56 AM
in reply to: #2749950

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
mav - 2010-03-26 8:18 AM
tryin2tri - 2010-03-25 4:55 PM What do you think, should I make a road bike or a tri bike?  This year will be sprints and 1 Oly, next year will be 1 sprint, 2 Oly and 2 HIM.  I will definitely want a tri bike for my next season so should I just go with that off the start?  My biking experience is...well there isn't any lol, BUT I'm definitely a go-getter and willing to learn.  I know "how" to ride a bike but have not really been on one in about 10 years or so (except for an embarrassing 15min. episode last year).  Should I build a road bike then convert it to a tri-bike, can you even do that?  I'm going to be getting a few extra funds for this project so $$ is less of an issue now.  Thanks in advance for any info!

Kevin has given you GREAT.....REALLY great info...he is so wise!!! I will say though, that I would go with a tri bike right from the begining. I purchased a road bike first and adapted it with aerobars, a year later I bought a tri bike. I almost never ride my road bike. I do think this is a personal prefrence. Take the extra money ( not spent on 2 bikes) and spend it on other cool tri stuff. Shopping is the fourth sport of triathlon!!!

x2
I wish I had never gotten a road bike. Bought my tri bike about 18 months after my road bike and now, same as Marianne I NEVER ever use the roadie.  
Now having said that because of my odd hours I am not into group riding. I ride either alone or with one friend who is also on a tri bike. 
I will probably sell the road bike and maybe use the $$ to get a Computrainer or a Powertap.......... 
2010-03-26 8:57 AM

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Its -20C here this morning. 
So effing ridiculous........my lungs ae NOT happy with the abrupt change in temperature.
I may ....gasp.......go run on the treadmill in the stoopid gym.

2010-03-26 8:59 AM
in reply to: #2749982

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
gojogo - 2010-03-26 8:30 AM Good Morning Everyone,

The biking is going well, recovery week for me.  I have one more ride scheduled for sunday.  Will that still be in the competition?  I had to put the bike back on the trainer due to life and cold weather again.  I'm hoping to get back outside soon.  I hadn't realized what a difference indoor and outdoor rides were for me until this year.  I'm also waiting for a calm day to get a better comparison.  It's been so windy. 

The lanes were out of the pool this morning.  It was good to swim with a little turbulance. 

Happy Friday!!!

Kelly

For a while I will be a land mammal. Need to walk away from the water for a while since its so frustrating for me. 
If it ain't fun I refuse to do it....this IS supposed to be a hobby after all right?? 
2010-03-26 9:46 AM
in reply to: #2750264

2010-03-26 8:25 PM
in reply to: #2750284

Veteran
Mesa, Arizona
Helen,

I think sometimes it is good to walk away for a little bit. When you come back, you will have a fresh perspective and more patience. Swimming is my strongest of the sports but I have learned so many things from my swim coach and I have only been seeing her for a couple of months. I highly recommend getting a coach!!!

aquagirl - 2010-03-26 6:59 AM

Happy Friday!!!

Kelly

For a while I will be a land mammal. Need to walk away from the water for a while since its so frustrating for me. 
If it ain't fun I refuse to do it....this IS supposed to be a hobby after all right?? 
2010-03-26 8:29 PM

Veteran
Mesa, Arizona
I got to come home early from work today!!!!! I sat down on the couch at 4p.m. and woke up 2.5 hours later!!!! Guess I needed a nap.

I have two races this weekend. Saturday is an Urban Dare. It's like the Amazing Race for a day. I did it a few months ago in Tucson, but tomorrow is in Phoenix. It's a blast.

Sunday is my first tri of the season!!!! I am just planning on finishing and having a good time as my training has been sporadic the last few months.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!
2010-03-27 12:24 AM
in reply to: #2751797

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
halfdome - 2010-03-26 9:25 PM Helen, I think sometimes it is good to walk away for a little bit. When you come back, you will have a fresh perspective and more patience. Swimming is my strongest of the sports but I have learned so many things from my swim coach and I have only been seeing her for a couple of months. I highly recommend getting a coach!!!
aquagirl - 2010-03-26 6:59 AM

Happy Friday!!!

Kelly

Umm..yeah....working with the fourth coach now............do you SEE why i am frustrated!!! i have been coached all along.
OK.......swim rant off........
2010-03-27 12:50 AM

Regular
Thanks for all the welcomes!  I am looking forward to a longer run tomorrow.  I have a 5K race in one week.  Any advice?  I did one on Jan. 1st to start me off and time was 31 minutes.  I'd like to be below 29 minutes this time.  I'm pretty sure I can.

and hey!  I bought myself a new pair of running shorts (shorts!!!  I feel somewhat ok showing my legs for the first time in years!) and I have moved down from xL to L.  Even tried on a medium.  They fit, but were just weren't as comfy as the Large.  I also have lost 2 pounds since starting to track my meals.

Have a great weekend!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Come and play with aquagirl and mav ! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 76