BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 105

2010-07-13 11:17 PM
in reply to: #2770346

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: RE: Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!!
Robin & Jonathan- Loved the RRs. I left comments under your reports.

Dirk- 8:58? Haha, you're so awesome. If you're ever in Vegas you can come on a run with me if you want to truly experience sloooooow running. My usual pace is between 10-11 min/miles. A 9 min/mile is like my sprint pace. LOL.

My RR is done
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=217282

Edited by jpbis26 2010-07-14 12:23 AM

2010-07-14 8:13 AM
in reply to: #2979269

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
jpbis26 - 2010-07-13 11:17 PM Robin & Jonathan- Loved the RRs. I left comments under your reports.

Dirk- 8:58? Haha, you're so awesome. If you're ever in Vegas you can come on a run with me if you want to truly experience sloooooow running. My usual pace is between 10-11 min/miles. A 9 min/mile is like my sprint pace. LOL.

My RR is done

Jackie - great job with the race!  I left comments under your RR.  Yep, we should somehow work together to get that run under 30 minutes!
2010-07-14 11:05 AM
in reply to: #2979616

User image

Champion
agreed unless you are a runner and the bike is very hard for you, the bike HR should not be that much higher than the run.

maybe even, (which is still pretty high), but that much over seems like you pushed the bike too hard vs the run.
2010-07-14 12:57 PM

User image

Had another awesome interval session on the bike yesterday.

3 x 15 minutes @ 240 watts with 6 minute rest @ 120 watts

Then a 9 minute all out @ 288 watts

Can't say enough about the power meter...there is no way I could possibly structure or complete a workout of this intensity without it. 
2010-07-14 1:13 PM
in reply to: #2980274

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
newbz - 2010-07-14 12:05 PM agreed unless you are a runner and the bike is very hard for you, the bike HR should not be that much higher than the run. maybe even, (which is still pretty high), but that much over seems like you pushed the bike too hard vs the run.

Yeah....this very well may be the case.  I was pushing on the bike to the point that I wasn't having any pain in my legs at all.  In terms of level of effort, I felt fine.  Almost always breathing through my nose.  I was really surprised to see that heart rate to tell you the truth.

The weird thing is that when I got going on the run, I didn't have much problem breathing, I just couldn't get my body to do what I wanted.  Every time I would pick up the pace, I would start to feel sort of sick to my stomach and my legs would hurt.  Not that I mind my legs hurting....but something was definitely up.  What do I do about this? Am I just not used to running hard?  I feel like I've been only training easy, because when I hit it hard for a day, I am sore and messed up for a couple more days and it affects my training.  So I probably have no idea what it feels like to run hard for anything longer than a mile or so.  Could this be what's holding me up?  When I ran yesterday, I did a warmup for a couple miles and picked up the pace for about a half a mile, to about 8:00 pace and it was okay, but I couldn't hold it for very long.  I wasn't struggling, I just didn't have it.

Edited by jgerbodegrant 2010-07-14 1:17 PM
2010-07-14 1:39 PM
in reply to: #2980767

User image

Champion
what was the bike course like?

2010-07-14 3:10 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
A long gradual downhill to the turnaround and back up.  There was one steep hill...probably 100m long.  Looks like this:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/map.asp?routeid=136430 

Edited by jgerbodegrant 2010-07-14 3:15 PM
2010-07-14 5:41 PM
in reply to: #2979269

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
jpbis26 - 2010-07-14 12:17 AM Robin & Jonathan- Loved the RRs. I left comments under your reports.

My RR is done

Nice race Jackie!  Sounds like you have caught a pretty good bug with this tri thing.  In you RR you said you need to learn to push yourself harder and that means you have it bad in my opinion.

BTW, while my pace for that slow run seemed agonizing it took me several years to get to that point.  Stick with it and you'll put me to shame.  I'll be an old man an you'll still be in your youthful prime, climbing over my back on your way to a podium at some race somewhere.

2010-07-14 5:49 PM
in reply to: #2980767

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
jgerbodegrant - 2010-07-14 2:13 PM
newbz - 2010-07-14 12:05 PM agreed unless you are a runner and the bike is very hard for you, the bike HR should not be that much higher than the run. maybe even, (which is still pretty high), but that much over seems like you pushed the bike too hard vs the run.

Yeah....this very well may be the case.  I was pushing on the bike to the point that I wasn't having any pain in my legs at all.  In terms of level of effort, I felt fine.  Almost always breathing through my nose.  I was really surprised to see that heart rate to tell you the truth.

The weird thing is that when I got going on the run, I didn't have much problem breathing, I just couldn't get my body to do what I wanted.  Every time I would pick up the pace, I would start to feel sort of sick to my stomach and my legs would hurt.  Not that I mind my legs hurting....but something was definitely up.  What do I do about this? Am I just not used to running hard?  I feel like I've been only training easy, because when I hit it hard for a day, I am sore and messed up for a couple more days and it affects my training.  So I probably have no idea what it feels like to run hard for anything longer than a mile or so.  Could this be what's holding me up?  When I ran yesterday, I did a warmup for a couple miles and picked up the pace for about a half a mile, to about 8:00 pace and it was okay, but I couldn't hold it for very long.  I wasn't struggling, I just didn't have it.

I would suggest some speed work in your workout schedule.  I typically do a tempo run once a week that can kick my tail pretty hard.  When I started doing tempo's, they were about 1.5 miles now I have worked my way up to 3 miles.  These are def hard but you can really pick up some speed doing these.  2 years ago I was running 7:45 miles +/- for 2miles and now I am doing 3 miles at 7:10 (in good weather).

Again, I would listen to David on this.  He would be able to provide better detail and structure for some really good speed work.
2010-07-14 5:54 PM

Expert
Ann Arbor
I went out for a long run this morning intending to go 15miles, but I stopped after my 12.44mile loop ended.  I'm not sure if I went out too hard or what but my legs were feeling it throughout the entire run.  On my long runs, I'm usually not feeling much until about mile 8.  I knew something was wrong when I was really hurting before the 10 mile mark.  I could also be that it was my first long run in my new shoes.
2010-07-14 8:06 PM
in reply to: #2981599

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
DirkP - 2010-07-14 6:49 PM

I would suggest some speed work in your workout schedule.  I typically do a tempo run once a week that can kick my tail pretty hard.  When I started doing tempo's, they were about 1.5 miles now I have worked my way up to 3 miles.  These are def hard but you can really pick up some speed doing these.  2 years ago I was running 7:45 miles +/- for 2miles and now I am doing 3 miles at 7:10 (in good weather).

Again, I would listen to David on this.  He would be able to provide better detail and structure for some really good speed work.

Yeah, I would probably agree with you.  I'm not really sure how to approach the tempo run thing.  You actually started at 7:45 pace for your tempo runs?  That's awesome. 

2010-07-14 9:12 PM
in reply to: #2981772

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
jgerbodegrant - 2010-07-14 9:06 PM

Yeah, I would probably agree with you.  I'm not really sure how to approach the tempo run thing.  You actually started at 7:45 pace for your tempo runs?  That's awesome. 

The way I approached these type runs was have a good WU.  (I did about a half mile at an easy pace, then laid the hammer down.)  There are better ways to do these.  This is just how I did them to start.  I also injured myself when I was in my early training days.  Most of this I would attribute to not taking recovery weeks.  currently I am doing a runners world marathon training schedule that called for a 5 mile tempo tonight.  I did a walking WU on the mill, then a 1 mile easy progressing to moderate, then I hit the hard mile for 3, then a 1 mile CD.  My pace tonight was pretty slow but my HR was at a high avg. which is the target (high PE).

Anyway, early training was..........for a few months I did just 1 mile runs at a very hard pace.  Then I slowly progressed up in mileage and tempo.  Once I got to 2 miles I started just working on my speed.  This took some time to develop.  Like maybe a 2-3 of months for :10 gained.  Then I might have an exceptional gain all at once and get :20-:25 but then remain there for several months.  Now, there is hardly a time when I don't have speed work in my schedule.

Check out www.runnersworld.com they have  plenty of good info there.  I am currently thinking about adding some intervals into my workouts occasionally to.  These are different from the tempo's and it might add some other quality speed work to my repertoire.

2010-07-14 9:20 PM
in reply to: #2981611

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
carlwithac - 2010-07-14 6:54 PM I went out for a long run this morning intending to go 15miles, but I stopped after my 12.44mile loop ended.  I'm not sure if I went out too hard or what but my legs were feeling it throughout the entire run.  On my long runs, I'm usually not feeling much until about mile 8.  I knew something was wrong when I was really hurting before the 10 mile mark.  I could also be that it was my first long run in my new shoes.

Well the weather could have been a little warm and humid if it was like what it is here in northern Indiana. 

The shoes could have been part of it too.  I usually don't have any problems with new shoes bu t I do stay away from long runs in them until I get, maybe, 35-40 miles in them.  Although I doubt it would bother me much because the shoes I have seem to stay the same until about 350 miles, then I can start to feel the shock pretty good.  That's when I start doing only short runs in them.
2010-07-15 11:06 AM

User image

Master
Baltimore

hey all, I've been on limited BT for ahwile.  was at my parent's in NH for the week before my HIM then the race and then travel for work.  Just got my RR up (now that I'm back in my office and have time : http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=217474

Bottom line - didn't make 5 hours - I was 5:03.  I'm disappointed for sure.  However, it wasn't an epic failure, just a small one.  I'm over it, moved on, done sulking and feeling sorry for myself.  I'm pleased with some of the race, so I'm building on that.

Congrats to everyone else with races last weekend too.  I've read some stuff that's been going on, but missed some too, hence the generic statement.  Maybe I'll be bored this afternoon and read some of the reports.

2010-07-15 12:32 PM
in reply to: #2981772

User image

Champion
jgerbodegrant - 2010-07-14 7:06 PM

Yeah....this very well may be the case. I was pushing on the bike to the point that I wasn't having any pain in my legs at all. In terms of level of effort, I felt fine. Almost always breathing through my nose. I was really surprised to see that heart rate to tell you the truth.

The weird thing is that when I got going on the run, I didn't have much problem breathing, I just couldn't get my body to do what I wanted. Every time I would pick up the pace, I would start to feel sort of sick to my stomach and my legs would hurt. Not that I mind my legs hurting....but something was definitely up. What do I do about this? Am I just not used to running hard? I feel like I've been only training easy, because when I hit it hard for a day, I am sore and messed up for a couple more days and it affects my training. So I probably have no idea what it feels like to run hard for anything longer than a mile or so. Could this be what's holding me up? When I ran yesterday, I did a warmup for a couple miles and picked up the pace for about a half a mile, to about 8:00 pace and it was okay, but I couldn't hold it for very long. I wasn't struggling, I just didn't have it.

I would suggest some speed work in your workout schedule. I typically do a tempo run once a week that can kick my tail pretty hard. When I started doing tempo's, they were about 1.5 miles now I have worked my way up to 3 miles. These are def hard but you can really pick up some speed doing these. 2 years ago I was running 7:45 miles +/- for 2miles and now I am doing 3 miles at 7:10 (in good weather).

Again, I would listen to David on this. He would be able to provide better detail and structure for some really good speed work.

Yeah, I would probably agree with you. I'm not really sure how to approach the tempo run thing. You actually started at 7:45 pace for your tempo runs? That's awesome.

i'd say you may have biked a bit hard but the longer hill(s) would skew the HR up, more so the larger of a person you are (you were a rower so fairly tall yes?)
2010-07-15 12:35 PM
in reply to: #2982849

User image

Champion
jsiegs - 2010-07-15 10:06 AM

hey all, I've been on limited BT for ahwile. was at my parent's in NH for the week before my HIM then the race and then travel for work. Just got my RR up (now that I'm back in my office and have time : http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=217474

Bottom line - didn't make 5 hours - I was 5:03. I'm disappointed for sure. However, it wasn't an epic failure, just a small one. I'm over it, moved on, done sulking and feeling sorry for myself. I'm pleased with some of the race, so I'm building on that.

Congrats to everyone else with races last weekend too. I've read some stuff that's been going on, but missed some too, hence the generic statement. Maybe I'll be bored this afternoon and read some of the reports.

very nice job on the half, looks like a well played race

2010-07-15 2:34 PM
in reply to: #2983112

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
newbz - 2010-07-15 1:32 PM

Yeah....this very well may be the case. I was pushing on the bike to the point that I wasn't having any pain in my legs at all. In terms of level of effort, I felt fine. Almost always breathing through my nose. I was really surprised to see that heart rate to tell you the truth.

The weird thing is that when I got going on the run, I didn't have much problem breathing, I just couldn't get my body to do what I wanted. Every time I would pick up the pace, I would start to feel sort of sick to my stomach and my legs would hurt. Not that I mind my legs hurting....but something was definitely up. What do I do about this? Am I just not used to running hard? I feel like I've been only training easy, because when I hit it hard for a day, I am sore and messed up for a couple more days and it affects my training. So I probably have no idea what it feels like to run hard for anything longer than a mile or so. Could this be what's holding me up? When I ran yesterday, I did a warmup for a couple miles and picked up the pace for about a half a mile, to about 8:00 pace and it was okay, but I couldn't hold it for very long. I wasn't struggling, I just didn't have it.

I would suggest some speed work in your workout schedule. I typically do a tempo run once a week that can kick my tail pretty hard. When I started doing tempo's, they were about 1.5 miles now I have worked my way up to 3 miles. These are def hard but you can really pick up some speed doing these. 2 years ago I was running 7:45 miles +/- for 2miles and now I am doing 3 miles at 7:10 (in good weather).

Again, I would listen to David on this. He would be able to provide better detail and structure for some really good speed work.

Yeah, I would probably agree with you. I'm not really sure how to approach the tempo run thing. You actually started at 7:45 pace for your tempo runs? That's awesome.
i'd say you may have biked a bit hard but the longer hill(s) would skew the HR up, more so the larger of a person you are (you were a rower so fairly tall yes?)

Yeah, 6'-4".  It's frustrating.  I felt so good on the bike and my legs weren't hurting at all.  Maybe I need to do longer runs after biking for my brik workouts as well.

Newbz....how do I know if I am ready to start putting speed work/tempo runs into my run workouts?
2010-07-15 4:04 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Joe- Good job staying tough during the run. Left a comment under your RR

Went for a 5 mile run today. Masters swim tonight. I'm going to upstate NY for 2 weeks with the kids to see my parents. I'll be gone July 17-Aug 2. Trying to be proactive and still get in the training over the vacation. My parents have a decent size pool and it's 3 miles exactly around their block. My mom says my brother's old mt bike is in the garage, so that seems better than nothing.

My mom and I will be doing a 5K together (she will be fast walking it) not sure if my dad is going to do it also. My mom is trying to discourage him form doing another tri due to his recent surgery she thinks it's too much impact. His response is, "don't listen to your mother, I did 13 miles on the bike today. I'm going to eventually do another one." So, we'll see what comes of that, but I think he's smart enough to take it slow.

Right now, I'm just trying to psych myself up for the 5 hour plane ride. I'm going solo with all the kids, so wish us luck. I suppose it will be a good exercise in mental toughness

Edited by jpbis26 2010-07-15 4:05 PM
2010-07-15 6:55 PM
in reply to: #2982849

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
jsiegs - 2010-07-16 1:06 AM

hey all, I've been on limited BT for ahwile.  was at my parent's in NH for the week before my HIM then the race and then travel for work.  Just got my RR up (now that I'm back in my office and have time : http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=217474

Bottom line - didn't make 5 hours - I was 5:03.  I'm disappointed for sure.  However, it wasn't an epic failure, just a small one.  I'm over it, moved on, done sulking and feeling sorry for myself.  I'm pleased with some of the race, so I'm building on that.

Congrats to everyone else with races last weekend too.  I've read some stuff that's been going on, but missed some too, hence the generic statement.  Maybe I'll be bored this afternoon and read some of the reports.

Wow - nice job hanging in there.   Which Garmin did you use?  Do you always put it under your swim cap? 
2010-07-15 8:49 PM
in reply to: #2983497

User image

Champion
jgerbodegrant - 2010-07-15 1:34 PM

newbz - 2010-07-15 1:32 PM

Yeah, 6'-4". It's frustrating. I felt so good on the bike and my legs weren't hurting at all. Maybe I need to do longer runs after biking for my brik workouts as well.

Newbz....how do I know if I am ready to start putting speed work/tempo runs into my run workouts?

what has your weekly running looked like for the past 4 weeks or so?
2010-07-16 1:53 AM

User image

Ran for the first time in over a month today.  Just a brisk 2.4 miles after a 20 mile bike ride.  I actually felt really good.  Maybe the run portion of my tri next Sunday won't be so bad after all.

2010-07-16 9:43 AM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
J- I have a feeling this next tri is going to have some PRs for you. Good luck

Had a really, really good swim yesterday. Although I've still got a lot to work on, I feel like my stroke technique is a lot better. At first all the drills overwhelmed me and it all felt unnatural, but now, it's starting to come together a little bit. I was able to swim a hard 8x100 yesterday focusing on my stroke technique and keeping up with the pace of my lane. It felt good to swim hard again. I think that was my biggest frustration, being so slow while trying to concentrate on improving my bad technique.

After I get back from vacation, I need to figure out if I can continue the masters swim. There are a few different groups, so I'll have to see if any work into my schedule. Work will start up again and my son will be starting his swimming and soccer leagues again. So, I'm going to have to get organized.

I would love to continue the masters, but if I can't at least I've learned how to make my own swim workouts better. I'm definately going to do what I did last school year and sign my son up for the early swim class (right after school) so I can leave the younger 2 in daycare and lap swim for those 45 mins.
2010-07-16 9:46 AM
in reply to: #2983124

User image

Master
Baltimore
newbz - 2010-07-15 1:35 PM
jsiegs - 2010-07-15 10:06 AM

hey all, I've been on limited BT for ahwile. was at my parent's in NH for the week before my HIM then the race and then travel for work. Just got my RR up (now that I'm back in my office and have time : http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=217474

Bottom line - didn't make 5 hours - I was 5:03. I'm disappointed for sure. However, it wasn't an epic failure, just a small one. I'm over it, moved on, done sulking and feeling sorry for myself. I'm pleased with some of the race, so I'm building on that.

Congrats to everyone else with races last weekend too. I've read some stuff that's been going on, but missed some too, hence the generic statement. Maybe I'll be bored this afternoon and read some of the reports.

very nice job on the half, looks like a well played race

Really?  I thought I toally messed it up.  I guess on the bike it depends if you trust HR or RPE in a race more (can't trust speed, it was flat first, they hilly later).  Definitely slowed over the course of the run too...I thought negative splits were better?
2010-07-16 9:50 AM

User image

Master
Baltimore
Thanks to everyone who left me messages on my race, they were appreciated.  I was planning to drop out of my next planned HIM in Oct after the race finished.  2 days of no training and lots of encouragement have turned that around 100%.  With no workouts 3 of the last 4 days after the race, I'm super antsy to get out and get ready for it!
2010-07-16 10:05 AM
in reply to: #2985010

User image

Champion
jsiegs - 2010-07-16 8:50 AM

Thanks to everyone who left me messages on my race, they were appreciated. I was planning to drop out of my next planned HIM in Oct after the race finished. 2 days of no training and lots of encouragement have turned that around 100%. With no workouts 3 of the last 4 days after the race, I'm super antsy to get out and get ready for it!

didn't you say this was your first half? (if not forgive me).

I never think about my next longer race near the ned of a half, because if you asked me then my answer about doing another would be 100% HELL NO
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!! Rss Feed  

of 105