BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 105

2010-07-16 10:08 AM
in reply to: #2985066

User image

Master
Baltimore
Subject: RE: Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!!
newbz - 2010-07-16 11:05 AM
jsiegs - 2010-07-16 8:50 AM Thanks to everyone who left me messages on my race, they were appreciated. I was planning to drop out of my next planned HIM in Oct after the race finished. 2 days of no training and lots of encouragement have turned that around 100%. With no workouts 3 of the last 4 days after the race, I'm super antsy to get out and get ready for it!
didn't you say this was your first half? (if not forgive me). I never think about my next longer race near the ned of a half, because if you asked me then my answer about doing another would be 100% HELL NO

yeah, first half.

haha, and yeah, I agree on thinking about the next race.

2010-07-16 10:20 AM
in reply to: #2982849

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
jsiegs - 2010-07-15 12:06 PM

hey all, I've been on limited BT for ahwile.  was at my parent's in NH for the week before my HIM then the race and then travel for work.  Just got my RR up (now that I'm back in my office and have time : http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=217474

Bottom line - didn't make 5 hours - I was 5:03.  I'm disappointed for sure.  However, it wasn't an epic failure, just a small one.  I'm over it, moved on, done sulking and feeling sorry for myself.  I'm pleased with some of the race, so I'm building on that.

Congrats to everyone else with races last weekend too.  I've read some stuff that's been going on, but missed some too, hence the generic statement.  Maybe I'll be bored this afternoon and read some of the reports.

Just read the RR.  Looks like a pretty god race to me.   I would love to hit a HIM for right at 5 hours but I certainly won't be doing that this year.  The swim looks pretty stinkin good to me.  That's a some good averages in the water.  I would love to post a 21mph on a bike too.  I might get you on the for a HM but I doubt it would be for a HIM.  So basically you'd been smokin my tail!

It looked to me like you might have taken too many calories on the bike, judging from other information I have read, somewhere.  Do you think that might have been the problem with your stomach?  When I ran my PR in Indy this year for the HM, I think I took to many calories during the race.  I never got sick to my stomach but just felt a bit.........full, maybe?  I just felt weird, kinda.  Just something to think  over before your next race.  Maybe stretch your calorie intake through the whole race?  Just thinking, I guess.  Let those with more experience confirm or trash my thoughts.

Edit:  I am glad to hear you're not dropping out of your next HIM.  If you did you might scare away from doing one altogether. LOL

Edited by DirkP 2010-07-16 10:24 AM
2010-07-16 10:37 AM
in reply to: #2770346

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

Newbz - my logs are pretty much up to date.  Including racing, I would say I have been averaging 3 times a week.  Most of my efforts have been on the "relatively" easy side.  I will pick up the pace now and again, but nothing hard or all out.

2010-07-16 10:37 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
I just finished my long run for this week and I feel like a million bucks.  After last week's run I was about to die, this week was much better.  My pace was more in line with where it should have been.  I was going to go for 10 miles but felt so good at 5-6 miles I decided to hit one more mile for a total of 11 miles for the day.  I needed to take much less water on board this time but I had plenty just in case I had another bout like last week.  My avg. for this week was 8:24 miles over last week's 8:58.  My wife wanted me to take the dog to the vet early this AM but I said the run was going first.  I was not going thru what I did last week in the heat!  She didn't like it much I think but I am going to take the dog later today...problem solved.

Going to get a swim in later today but I am not going to kill it.  I have my tri relay tomorrow AM and I have the swim, so I am looking for a crushing 500 TT in the water tomorrow.  I am hoping it might be around 7:00-7:30 (500M), that should be challenging since I have never done a 500 meter swim for time.  Of course 7:00 minutes is probably a very aggressive goal but I don't have "the rest of the race" to pace myself for.

2010-07-16 10:39 AM
in reply to: #2985149

User image

Master
Baltimore
DirkP - 2010-07-16 11:20 AM
jsiegs - 2010-07-15 12:06 PM

hey all, I've been on limited BT for ahwile.  was at my parent's in NH for the week before my HIM then the race and then travel for work.  Just got my RR up (now that I'm back in my office and have time : http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=217474

Bottom line - didn't make 5 hours - I was 5:03.  I'm disappointed for sure.  However, it wasn't an epic failure, just a small one.  I'm over it, moved on, done sulking and feeling sorry for myself.  I'm pleased with some of the race, so I'm building on that.

Congrats to everyone else with races last weekend too.  I've read some stuff that's been going on, but missed some too, hence the generic statement.  Maybe I'll be bored this afternoon and read some of the reports.

Just read the RR.  Looks like a pretty god race to me.   I would love to hit a HIM for right at 5 hours but I certainly won't be doing that this year.  The swim looks pretty stinkin good to me.  That's a some good averages in the water.  I would love to post a 21mph on a bike too.  I might get you on the for a HM but I doubt it would be for a HIM.  So basically you'd been smokin my tail!

It looked to me like you might have taken too many calories on the bike, judging from other information I have read, somewhere.  Do you think that might have been the problem with your stomach?  When I ran my PR in Indy this year for the HM, I think I took to many calories during the race.  I never got sick to my stomach but just felt a bit.........full, maybe?  I just felt weird, kinda.  Just something to think  over before your next race.  Maybe stretch your calorie intake through the whole race?  Just thinking, I guess.  Let those with more experience confirm or trash my thoughts.

Edit:  I am glad to hear you're not dropping out of your next HIM.  If you did you might scare away from doing one altogether. LOL

Thanks. 

I've got a stand alone half marathon scheduled, so we'll see who'll win that one

For the calories, I used the formula of 1.5-2.0 cal/hour/lb on the bike.  Comes out to 624-832 calories.  Looking back at my report, I definitely said too high.  It was more like 700-800.  I think I had 850 total with me, and didn't quite finish it.  My bad.  But yeah, it still might have been too high.  I feel like I operate better on the lower range of calories, but erred high in the race for fear of going hungry.  Probably ate too many simply because I had them available, not because I needed them.
2010-07-16 12:04 PM
in reply to: #2985206

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
DirkP - 2010-07-16 11:37 AM I just finished my long run for this week and I feel like a million bucks.  After last week's run I was about to die, this week was much better.  My pace was more in line with where it should have been.  I was going to go for 10 miles but felt so good at 5-6 miles I decided to hit one more mile for a total of 11 miles for the day.  I needed to take much less water on board this time but I had plenty just in case I had another bout like last week.  My avg. for this week was 8:24 miles over last week's 8:58.  My wife wanted me to take the dog to the vet early this AM but I said the run was going first.  I was not going thru what I did last week in the heat!  She didn't like it much I think but I am going to take the dog later today...problem solved.

Going to get a swim in later today but I am not going to kill it.  I have my tri relay tomorrow AM and I have the swim, so I am looking for a crushing 500 TT in the water tomorrow.  I am hoping it might be around 7:00-7:30 (500M), that should be challenging since I have never done a 500 meter swim for time.  Of course 7:00 minutes is probably a very aggressive goal but I don't have "the rest of the race" to pace myself for.

Nice work on that run dude!  I love seeing major improvement in how I feel or perform in a weeks time!

As for the swim, that's about a 1:25-1:30 split.  Are you wearing a wesuit???  I think you can do it.  Just treat it like a 5K.  Go out hard, breath a lot and hang on.  I'm excited to see how you do.  good luck!

2010-07-16 1:54 PM
in reply to: #2985501

User image

Champion
i think right now then you would stand to gain a lot more from trying to get in another run or two, even if they are both only 15 min.

personally i dont think you'll get much/any benefit from faster running at under 20-25mpw for a long time, and on 3 runs per week you'll get more from a bit more frequency.
2010-07-16 3:02 PM
in reply to: #2984010

User image

Master
Baltimore
dcon - 2010-07-15 7:55 PM
jsiegs - 2010-07-16 1:06 AM

Wow - nice job hanging in there.   Which Garmin did you use?  Do you always put it under your swim cap? 

310xt.  yeah, for the races I do.  I like to have the running time on there for/after the race.  I do under the cap for 2 reasons - 1) to get swim distance and 2) I'm not sure I could get my wetsuit (a full) over it, so I'd have to take it off which would be a pain.  I have a non-wetsuit legal race coming up, and I'll probably wear it on my wrist for that, but man, its so big, it feel soooo slooooow in the water!
2010-07-16 6:41 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Have a great weekend everyone and good luck to anyone else who is racing.  I'm heading out in a couple hours for an Oly  tomorrow (Sunday).  Forecast says clear and 85 degrees.  I'm hoping the humidity drops off.
2010-07-16 7:19 PM
in reply to: #2985211

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

I've got a stand alone half marathon scheduled, so we'll see who'll win that one

For the calories, I used the formula of 1.5-2.0 cal/hour/lb on the bike.  Comes out to 624-832 calories.  Looking back at my report, I definitely said too high.  It was more like 700-800.  I think I had 850 total with me, and didn't quite finish it.  My bad.  But yeah, it still might have been too high.  I feel like I operate better on the lower range of calories, but erred high in the race for fear of going hungry.  Probably ate too many simply because I had them available, not because I needed them.

You have youth on your side so that should give me about a 10 minute cushion or something more.  I'll let you know if I need more of a handicap after you post your time for that HM. LOL  my PR for the HM is 1:38:00 done this past May in Indianapolis.  When s the HM?

Edited by DirkP 2010-07-16 7:20 PM
2010-07-16 7:29 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
I may have over done it today now that I am done with everything for the day.  Its not that I expect to be sore or that I am not feeling good from training today, but that I ran 11 miles, rode 20 miles (very easy) and then swam 1750 yds. (mostly easy the day before my relay.  The run was going to happen no matter what!!!!! the bike just kind of came up.  The guy riding the cycling leg tomorrow wanted to take a nice easy ride to loosen nerves up, I guess.  I was planning the swim since my scheduled swim for last night was very, very light because I talked to someone for almost all the lap time available.

I figure I'll be alright since I only have the swim leg but I am just a little nervous about it sice I had so much going on today.  Even if I do....not as good as I like....that will be fine since my target is really the Oly in a couple more weeks.

Dan and others good luck with the racing this weekend.  I hope to be crashing soon.  I have a 4:15 wake up call coming.

2010-07-16 8:39 PM

Expert
Ann Arbor
53miles this morning in just under 3hrs.  1800yds in the pool a little later in the day.  All in all, it was a good day off work.

I'm glad I rode this morning because I needed to see where my bike fitness was at for Steelhead.  I wanted to average around 150watts(which I did) and for a full 56, I would probably have been right at 3hrs.  My legs felt pretty tired though, so I think I might plan to stay around 145 watts come race day.  That should put me a few minutes over 3hrs, but I plan on killing the run since I'm very happy with my run fitness.

My goal is to swim 1:45/100, 5min t1/t2, 3ish on the bike, 8s on the run.

I've been listening to many Endurance Nation podcasts today, and I really like what those guys have to say regarding intensity vs volume for AGers. 

I've fully made up my mind that I plan on signing up for IMLP2011.  I think after Steelhead I'll set my priorities for a 3:30 at the Detroit Marathon.

I'm also planning on working towards raising my FTP as much as possible after Steelhead.  I won't be putting in the volume, but it will be hella intense.
2010-07-16 9:23 PM
in reply to: #2986476

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
carlwithac - 2010-07-16 9:39 PM 53miles this morning in just under 3hrs.  1800yds in the pool a little later in the day.  All in all, it was a good day off work.

I'm glad I rode this morning because I needed to see where my bike fitness was at for Steelhead.  I wanted to average around 150watts(which I did) and for a full 56, I would probably have been right at 3hrs.  My legs felt pretty tired though, so I think I might plan to stay around 145 watts come race day.  That should put me a few minutes over 3hrs, but I plan on killing the run since I'm very happy with my run fitness.

My goal is to swim 1:45/100, 5min t1/t2, 3ish on the bike, 8s on the run.

I've been listening to many Endurance Nation podcasts today, and I really like what those guys have to say regarding intensity vs volume for AGers. 

I've fully made up my mind that I plan on signing up for IMLP2011.  I think after Steelhead I'll set my priorities for a 3:30 at the Detroit Marathon.

I'm also planning on working towards raising my FTP as much as possible after Steelhead.  I won't be putting in the volume, but it will be hella intense.

Sounds like a good plan.

I also have been listening to endurance nation for a while now.  Their DVD tutorials are excellent also.  I have an extra copy if you're interested. 
2010-07-16 9:25 PM
in reply to: #2985813

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
newbz - 2010-07-16 2:54 PM i think right now then you would stand to gain a lot more from trying to get in another run or two, even if they are both only 15 min. personally i dont think you'll get much/any benefit from faster running at under 20-25mpw for a long time, and on 3 runs per week you'll get more from a bit more frequency.

Yeah man, that's kind of what I was thinking.  Thanks!  I am upping my frequency this week on out.  Need to get my long run up to at least 10 by my half at the end of August.  I resign myself to knowing that I will not be able to push the run portion at all, so my goal is to up my mileage/frequency and finish feeling "good". 
2010-07-16 9:47 PM
in reply to: #2986375

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
dcon - 2010-07-16 6:41 PM Have a great weekend everyone and good luck to anyone else who is racing.  I'm heading out in a couple hours for an Oly  tomorrow (Sunday).  Forecast says clear and 85 degrees.  I'm hoping the humidity drops off.

Good luck, Dan!
2010-07-16 10:46 PM

User image

I just found out I won a Larzen Genesis helmet from greenlightride.com.  They were having a TdF contest where they were giving away daily prizes during each day of the TdF.  All you had to do was sign up and log miles.  The contest actually started on Jan 1...and you have to had logged enough miles from Jan 1st to match what the TdF riders had done up to each stage.

So if today is stage 11...then have to had at least 1400 or so miles (that's just a guess at what the TdF mileage is now) logged this year to be eligible for the stage 11 prizes. 

You can still sign up...the PITA part is you have to log all your rides from Jan 1st.  It's honor system though...so I suppose you could just log a bunch of 100 mile rides till you get to your actual 2010 total.  I was diligent in actually recording each ride...so maybe that was good karma.

I requested though if I could get the Larzen TT helmet instead...since I already have a general road helmet.  The MSRP is the same ($180)...so we'll see what they say.

I'm stoked...just had to share.

2010-07-17 12:49 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Took Jamie out on her first bike ride. Some of you may remember that she is my running partner. I'm trying to convince her to do an Oct tri with me. At first she seems a little intimidated by the idea, but as we've progressed with the running she is starting to seriously consider it.

Glen, my friend who makes me do those long rides at Red Rock, let her borrow his old road bike which was her size and came out with us. We took her on a fairly easy 18 mile ride (just one big, pain in the butt hill, but mostly rolling hills). It was the same one I did my first time there. She did great and I was happy to see how short and easy it felt to me, reminded me that I have made some progress.

Glen let her keep the bike for now, so hopefully we can try and ride once a week. It would be really cool to have someone else (especially a good friend) do the tri with me.  
2010-07-17 4:08 PM
in reply to: #2987035

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
J, I would love to have your kind of luck.  I can't win anything.  The only thing  know about the helmet you won is that you wear it on your bike.

Jackie, Sounds like you are mentoring another triathlete to me.   A short ride may have been the trick to get her addicted to the tri-life that you are becomming addicted to as well.

I have good news from my team tri this morning.  We won the relay division.  It was nothing huge for us but it was a podium nonetheless.  The swim was a wave start, this was my leg, and there were only 4 waves.  There should have been more waves listening to some of the other competitors.  The legs went out this way......male under 40 years, male over 40 years, all women and then the relays.  I know I am good swimmer so I thought I might have some problems but I figured it couldn't be all that bad.  So I watched the legs take off and tried to learn something about the waves.  There were 3 minutes between waves so I also tried to stay loose and warm.  I watched more closely the 3rd wave as it left, that's when I saw the breast strokers, back strokers and floaters scattered all over the field and just before our wave launched a swimmer on his way back from the out and back swim was 20 feet into our side of the buoys.  I was growing concerned.  I had already placed myself by this time on the inside of the course and felt like it was to late to move.  Everything was smooth sailing until about halfway out and then it started getting rough.  I started to encounter "those swimmers" and several times had to adjust my course around these people.  This frustrated me but not because of the swimmers but because of the way the wave went out.  In the end I swam a decent time but I did not consider the increased difference in the distance of 500 yards to 500 meters that I swam for this race.  I ended up swimming and running the 150 yds to T1 in 9:23.  I am disappointed in the time and some of it could be because of the problems in the water.

The wave start was the only change I feel like needed to be made for this race.  Maybe asking the participants to estimate their swim abilities and launch accordingly.  All in all it was a very nice race and I had an awesome time competing and meeting other athletes I met at my first tri a month ago.
2010-07-18 7:38 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

Great job on your relay Dirk.  I understand the frustration of having to swim around people.  The pumpkinman sprint in September in Southern Maine, has waves of men 25-34 and 44-55 (or something like that) starting last out of 8 waves....it is a bit crazy.  Those are just the things you have to deal with.  You have to sight a lot more often.  Look ahead a couple times and make a memory of where the next slower swimmer is going.  If they are heading a bit to the left, you know to pass them just on the right....I know you are capable of a faster time, but all in all, you did well.

2010-07-18 12:28 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Anybody know where I can score a good deal on some xlab gorilla cages?  My rear hyd system launches bottles like nobody's business and I'm sick of it.

Here's another question for those of you with tall bikes:  I can't use my profile designs aero drink because it doesn't allow me to rack my bike from the front.  I obvisouly can't rack my bike from the back because my seat is always 5" taller than the rack itself.  Has anyone found a solution for this?  right now I have a cage zip-tied to my aero bars, which works, but I drink more often if the PD aero drink is there.

Edited by jgerbodegrant 2010-07-18 12:32 PM
2010-07-18 2:03 PM
in reply to: #2988049

User image

jgerbodegrant - 2010-07-18 8:28 AM Anybody know where I can score a good deal on some xlab gorilla cages?  My rear hyd system launches bottles like nobody's business and I'm sick of it.

Here's another question for those of you with tall bikes:  I can't use my profile designs aero drink because it doesn't allow me to rack my bike from the front.  I obvisouly can't rack my bike from the back because my seat is always 5" taller than the rack itself.  Has anyone found a solution for this?  right now I have a cage zip-tied to my aero bars, which works, but I drink more often if the PD aero drink is there.

I use the specialized rib cages and haven't even come close to launching a bottle.  But I think the angle you mount the bottles has more to do with it than anything.  Mount them at an angle so that the upward force of a bump does not flow in the same direction as the bottle comes out of the cage.

Not sure what to do about your racking problems.  If anything, I'm the opposite.  Sometimes when I rack on my saddle, my front wheel barely touches the ground.

2010-07-18 2:23 PM
in reply to: #2987786

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
jgerbodegrant - 2010-07-18 8:38 AM

Great job on your relay Dirk.  I understand the frustration of having to swim around people.  The pumpkinman sprint in September in Southern Maine, has waves of men 25-34 and 44-55 (or something like that) starting last out of 8 waves....it is a bit crazy.  Those are just the things you have to deal with.  You have to sight a lot more often.  Look ahead a couple times and make a memory of where the next slower swimmer is going.  If they are heading a bit to the left, you know to pass them just on the right....I know you are capable of a faster time, but all in all, you did well.

I wouldn't have minded the slower swimmers if they weren't all scattered throughout the course.  They were all toward the back of their wave but that made it more complicated for us in the 4th wave.  I actually ended up going wide on the way back because I had hit 3 or more floaters right after I made the turn around.  But I also decided to go wide after there were so many people and the glare of the sun was so bad that I couldn't find the buoys.  I was trying to swim such a straight line that I was trying to sight directly into the sun.  I couldn't see anything!  I had to go wide just to be able to find the markers in the water.  I might have ben able to do better if there had been less traffic but it was still a decent time I suppose.  I also am comparing my time yesterday to my first tri when I swam in a wetsuit and that's not a good comparison.

2010-07-18 8:02 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Well I just had what I would call and "Angry man ride."  I had a swim and 5k run on the schedule today but a storm kept me from the pool and my knee kept me from the run.  Oh, I tried the run but got a half mile into it and stopped because I was limping, stretched out a bit more and tried again.  I ran another half mile almost and stopped for the final time.  (Iknow the red font is technically the sarc font but right now it is serving as the "so angry I could explode font.)  I walked back to the house and contemplated whether I should rest or ride.  I chose the "angry man" ride to vent some major frustration.  I had a similar experience with my training last year getting ready for the same marathon and ended up not running at all for 2 months and giving up the opportunity to run a dream race.  I will rest my knee this week from running high mileage and will wait another day or so before I do anything for running at all. 

The good news is that I smashed the pedal on my bike and turned a 20 mile TT kind of.  I did a total of almost 21 miles including the first mile as kind of a WU with 2 stops to adjust my rear derailleur, then I started mashing.  I averaged the last 20 miles and got 20.42mph avg.  I also had a couple of stops/slows at stops signs and had to wait on 1 person as they stared at me at a stop sign.

I have ranted now I will cam down and begin to attempt to lower my BP.

2010-07-19 12:01 AM
in reply to: #2988564

User image

Champion
dirk nice job!~

I did my longest ride every tonight over a rolling course, 106 miles in 5:02.

legs are totally shot right now but after a nice recovery beer and some food, things are feeling awesome! (we'll see tomorrow though......).

hope everyone had a great weekend.
2010-07-19 1:06 AM

User image

David - nice ride...20+ mph avg too...not bad for a training ride.

Shoulder is really starting to feel better.  I would say it was at 50% three weeks ago, and now it's closer to 80%.  I barely even notice it during day to day activities.

I was planning on doing a road race this morning...but my rear derailur was giving me issues when I was testing out my bike.  Apparantly it got bent in when I tipped over yesterday when hitting a curb climbing a hill.  I suppose it was a good thing, because I'm pretty sure I underestimated how tough the race would be.  It's 3 laps of a 15 mile loop, and the only climbing is about a 3 mile stretch that ascends 900 feet.  If I was fresh, I think I could manage...but my legs were pretty tired from yesterday's ride.

So I slept in instead...and went for a ride late this afternoon after getting the derailur adjusted at my LBS.  Got in 32 miles with a lot of hill work thrown in...about 1800 total feet of climbing...so that's about the equivalent of 2 laps of the race.  I'm pretty sure I would have gotten dropped OTB like a bad habbit...but my hill climbing is getting much better. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!! Rss Feed  

of 105