BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Come and play with aquagirl and mav ! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2010-03-29 10:43 AM
in reply to: #2559403

User image

Veteran
British Columbia
Subject: RE: Come and play with aquagirl and mav ! CLOSED

Wow...Rebecca, I am so sorry.  Take care of that shoulder. 

Enjoying my last day off.  Nice to have a short week ahead of me (with Friday off).  Have a good day everyone.

2010-03-29 10:59 AM
in reply to: #2754746

User image

Extreme Veteran
Not Quite DFL
aquagirl - 2010-03-29 8:57 AM
gomom_shell - 2010-03-28 11:16 PM QUOTE]

Only advice I can give you if you want a faster time - go out hard and fast and hang on.  Ever PR I've ever had was positive splits, not negative.  I know many others have the opposite experience.  5K is a short race, skip the watering hole, it only slows you down.  Now, having said that, don't go out so fast that you have to walk the last mile.  You have to know your limitations.

Thanks for the advice.  I  think that's what I'll do.  I do need to go out faster; my first part of a run is always the hardest/slowest.  I wonder why that is.  By positive splits, what do you mean? 
I just looked at the weather, and it will be around 80 F on Saturday.  Wow!

A positive split is when you run the first half of a race FASTER. A negative split is when you hold back a bit and then run the second half of the race faster.

There is debate about the best approach. But i think for a 5k a positive split is fine. Now if we were talking about a half mary distance i would have a different opinion........a negative split will usually be a better idea for a longer race. 

Ok, I'll bite...

why?
2010-03-29 4:16 PM
in reply to: #2754874

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
halfdome - 2010-03-29 10:37 AM races were a no go this weekend. friday night i fell down the stairs preliminary diagnosis is torn rotator cuff. lol. trying to get into orthopod asap. anyone have any experience or advice. i am keeping my sense of humor about it so far

Oh geez Rebecca........
OK...do not panic.
 I tore my rotator cuff a few years back...whilst skiing of course.......
I went to see an orthopod after having an MRI done, and since it was only a partial tear he did not recommend  surgery. I got lots of ART on my shoulder and was back at it in no time really. It does not bother me at all.

I would say that you first need some imaging done to see whats what.........
Please keep us posted ok?? 
2010-03-29 4:22 PM
in reply to: #2755202

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
crimefighter2 - 2010-03-29 11:59 AM
aquagirl - 2010-03-29 8:57 AM
gomom_shell - 2010-03-28 11:16 PM QUOTE]

Only advice I can give you if you want a faster time - go out hard and fast and hang on.  Ever PR I've ever had was positive splits, not negative.  I know many others have the opposite experience.  5K is a short race, skip the watering hole, it only slows you down.  Now, having said that, don't go out so fast that you have to walk the last mile.  You have to know your limitations.

Thanks for the advice.  I  think that's what I'll do.  I do need to go out faster; my first part of a run is always the hardest/slowest.  I wonder why that is.  By positive splits, what do you mean? 
I just looked at the weather, and it will be around 80 F on Saturday.  Wow!

A positive split is when you run the first half of a race FASTER. A negative split is when you hold back a bit and then run the second half of the race faster.

There is debate about the best approach. But i think for a 5k a positive split is fine. Now if we were talking about a half mary distance i would have a different opinion........a negative split will usually be a better idea for a longer race. 

Ok, I'll bite...

why?

Why? Cause its easier to save gas in the tank and pour it all on after........plus passing a bunch of people at the latter part of a race is psychologically easier than getting passed. It puts you in a good head space so you CAN pour it on. I am speaking from experience here.....I raced a negative split in my first half mary and it was a good strategy for me.

Now having said that "they" (who are they anyway??) say that actually an even paced run is still going to get you the fastest time............but its harder from an effort point of view. 

Does this make sense?

2010-03-29 6:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Just finished my first 75 min bike on the road and it went well.  I was definitely tired towards the end.  It's a work in progress.
2010-03-29 9:10 PM
in reply to: #2756340

User image

Extreme Veteran
Not Quite DFL

Why? Cause its easier to save gas in the tank and pour it all on after........plus passing a bunch of people at the latter part of a race is psychologically easier than getting passed. It puts you in a good head space so you CAN pour it on. I am speaking from experience here.....I raced a negative split in my first half mary and it was a good strategy for me.

Now having said that "they" (who are they anyway??) say that actually an even paced run is still going to get you the fastest time............but its harder from an effort point of view. 

Does this make sense?

Of course, but 1) wanted to give you a chance to sound smart and 2) I wasn't sure if there was more to it I wasn't thinking about. 
What I am "worried" about is saving too much gas and having my tank be too full at the end.  Probably not a real concern.  This race I'm going to do will be the biggest one I've ever been to by about 10,600, much less run in.  (half is full at 6500, then there is the marathon and 5k too yet - projected to be over 11,000 people running)  And yes, I fully expect to be "chicked" at least twice. 

2010-03-29 9:17 PM

Extreme Veteran
Wow, this group has definitely had its share of bumps and bruises.  Take care Rebecca. 

Had to cut my bike ride short tonight.  I was able to get in 13 miles instead of the planned 20.  Had to get my hair done.   A girl has to have her priorities straight. 

I wasn't sure how much of a difference my "recovery" week would make.  It didn't seem like too big of a drop at first but it shows quite a bit of a difference on the graph.  My body is feeling it.  I feel rested and ready to go.  I'm sure my 2 hour nap yesterday helped as well. 
Take care everyone,
Kelly
2010-03-29 10:12 PM
in reply to: #2756831

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-03-29 10:15 PM
in reply to: #2756846

2010-03-29 11:16 PM
in reply to: #2756326

Veteran
Mesa, Arizona
awesome helen just what i was hoping to hear. i am hoping that is all mine is too or maybe even something less serious it has been three days and i still cant lift my arm more than about 6 inches is that pretty standard

aquagirl - 2010-03-29 2:16 PM

halfdome - 2010-03-29 10:37 AM races were a no go this weekend. friday night i fell down the stairs preliminary diagnosis is torn rotator cuff. lol. trying to get into orthopod asap. anyone have any experience or advice. i am keeping my sense of humor about it so far

Oh geez Rebecca........
OK...do not panic.
I went to see an orthopod after having an MRI done, and since it was only a partial tear he did not recommend  surgery. I got lots of ART on my shoulder and was back at it in no time really. It does not bother me at all.

2010-03-30 9:22 AM
in reply to: #2756957

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
halfdome - 2010-03-30 12:16 AM awesome helen just what i was hoping to hear. i am hoping that is all mine is too or maybe even something less serious it has been three days and i still cant lift my arm more than about 6 inches is that pretty standard

Oh geez Rebecca........
OK...do not panic.

Yep. That is to be expected Rebecca. It was a while before I could really lift my arm pain free......I remember being at work and not being able to lift my arm to press the silence  button on the monitors .
Are you getting imaging done?

2010-03-30 7:48 PM
in reply to: #2757434

Veteran
Mesa, Arizona
have appt with orthopod tmrrw so i expect he will order unless he thinks it is something else i hope it is something less serious

aquagirl - 2010-03-30 7:22 AM

halfdome - 2010-03-30 12:16 AM awesome helen just what i was hoping to hear. i am hoping that is all mine is too or maybe even something less serious it has been three days and i still cant lift my arm more than about 6 inches is that pretty standard

Oh geez Rebecca........
OK...do not panic.

Yep. That is to be expected Rebecca. It was a while before I could really lift my arm pain free......I remember being at work and not being able to lift my arm to press the silence  button on the monitors .
Are you getting imaging done?

2010-03-30 9:05 PM
in reply to: #2759047

2010-03-30 9:36 PM

Veteran
British Columbia

Will be thinking of you Rebecca and will keep my fingers crossed.

2010-03-31 6:33 AM

Uxbridge
Hi kids!
Sorry I have been so absent...busy work week and training.

Rebecca, Soooooooooooooooo sorry about your shoulder. X2 what Helen and Kevin said. Rest and ice is all you can do for now. Be careful not to "test" it when its starts to feel a little better. Rotator cuffs can be tricky.

I have been crappy about keeping up with the bike challenge...and everyone has been sick or injured so I am officially extending it til April 7th ( cause I can).

The rain has finally stopped here. I have not seen this much rain in 30 years of living here. Flooding everywhere. I am going to try and bike around and check out the damage when things dry out later.

Have fun today. Be safe!!!
2010-03-31 8:28 AM
in reply to: #2733151

2010-03-31 9:23 AM

Extreme Veteran
Good Morning,

I vote no on the extension.  Just kidding.  I'm going on vacation next week.  I won't be biking at all.  I think snowboarding should count since it's still my leg muscles.  Oh well, good luck and stay injury free and healthy everyone. 

Ran 5.2 last night and swam 1500 yards this morning.  Will try to get a bike ride in later today.  The family is coming over for my dautghter's 10th birthday. 

Kelly
2010-03-31 5:08 PM

Veteran
Mesa, Arizona
ok. orthopod ordered mri. says either dislocation that went back in place and caused damage, torn labrum, or torn rotator cuff.

great news---i can put my bike on the trainer and ride woooohoooo that makes me happy
2010-03-31 6:24 PM
in reply to: #2761223

Veteran
Lakeland, FL
halfdome - 2010-03-31 5:08 PM ok. orthopod ordered mri. says either dislocation that went back in place and caused damage, torn labrum, or torn rotator cuff. great news---i can put my bike on the trainer and ride woooohoooo that makes me happy

Rebecca - at least you can get back on the bike - hopefully the damage is minimal and you'll be good as new in no time!!  Best of Luck!!
Mav - I may have missed a post due to my absence, but are you dealing with any of the flooding in your area??  I know the rain has been like never before, just not sure of your exact location. 
My first race in a wetsuit is in a couple weeks - any tips??  I've been told to get some Bodyglide to avoid chaffing and allow for easier exit from the suit - anything else I need to know?  I plan on a little practive in the pool to get use to it-
2010-03-31 6:53 PM
in reply to: #2761346

2010-04-01 6:33 AM
in reply to: #2761223

2010-04-01 8:01 AM
in reply to: #2762006

2010-04-01 8:29 AM

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Morning kids!
My azz is a bit sore........did a 4 1/2 hour ride yesteday. It was stellar!! Just an easy meander, never got out of zone 1! Just looked at the scenery and enjoyed the day. Man do I love to ride my bike......... 
2010-04-01 8:36 AM

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Mike you can use plastic grocery bags on your arms and legs to help slip the suit on more easily. To second what Kevin said make VERY sure that it is pulled up as far as it can go in the crotch. Just as important is making sure you have enough slack in the shoulders. There should be wrinkles around your shoulders if its on right. Do not worry about how far down it comes to your wrists....this matters not. I have long arms and my sleeve only comes down halfway to my wrist.

Also if a bit of time goes between the times when you use the suit giving it a REALLY good soak in the water  ( like laying it in the bathtub for an hour) will soften it a bit. They can dry out over time. This tip was from Emilio Desoto.....he recommends this at the beginning of the season. Just make sure its nice and dry before ya try and yank it on again.....cause a half damp suit can be hard to get into as well.

And above all just swim with it and get used to it.

2010-04-01 11:09 AM
in reply to: #2762266

Veteran
Lakeland, FL
aquagirl - 2010-04-01 8:36 AM Mike you can use plastic grocery bags on your arms and legs to help slip the suit on more easily. To second what Kevin said make VERY sure that it is pulled up as far as it can go in the crotch. Just as important is making sure you have enough slack in the shoulders. There should be wrinkles around your shoulders if its on right. Do not worry about how far down it comes to your wrists....this matters not. I have long arms and my sleeve only comes down halfway to my wrist.

Also if a bit of time goes between the times when you use the suit giving it a REALLY good soak in the water  ( like laying it in the bathtub for an hour) will soften it a bit. They can dry out over time. This tip was from Emilio Desoto.....he recommends this at the beginning of the season. Just make sure its nice and dry before ya try and yank it on again.....cause a half damp suit can be hard to get into as well.

And above all just swim with it and get used to it.

Thanks for the tips - not sure I understand the grocery bag thing and how that works but I'll experiment.  Its a borrowed suit, but the guys is the exact same size as me so I'm hoping for a decent fit. 
The weather has been absolutely beautiful the last few days and is forecasted to remain this way for at least a week.  78-80 degrees during the day and not a cloud in the sky!!  Had a nice tempo run this am and I'm planning to leave work early to get a ride in this evening at my favorite trail and enjoy the weather.   Tomorrow we're taking the kids canoeing on the west coast - last few days of Spring Break for my son!! 
Have a good day everyone

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Come and play with aquagirl and mav ! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 76