Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 150

2011-04-28 3:22 PM
in reply to: #3471269

User image

Bronze member
Subject: RE: Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group
arkmann - 2011-04-28 11:03 AM

So.... hard... to... get... back... to.. training..... after... your... first... HIM......

Help.....  Hahaha!

Is your body not receptive to the workload, is it motivation or both?

Just remember that the plan helped you build your fitness to peak for your race. Your mind and/or body might not be ready to get back at it yet. Especially considering the bike accidents you also had to deal with. No need to stress too much about it yet. Your body can't stay at peak race fitness for the entire tri season.

2011-04-28 3:29 PM
in reply to: #3472049

User image

Extreme Veteran
Harbor City/Torrance/Carson
trigal38 - 2011-04-28 3:22 PM
arkmann - 2011-04-28 11:03 AM

So.... hard... to... get... back... to.. training..... after... your... first... HIM......

Help.....  Hahaha!

Is your body not receptive to the workload, is it motivation or both?

Just remember that the plan helped you build your fitness to peak for your race. Your mind and/or body might not be ready to get back at it yet. Especially considering the bike accidents you also had to deal with. No need to stress too much about it yet. Your body can't stay at peak race fitness for the entire tri season.

Thanks and I'm not really stressing about it.  Body is receptive to the work outs but I think it's just laziness.  Although I have done 4 work outs since the race.  I've done 3 swims of about 2600m or longer, and a 30min run.  I'm really glad I haven't lost any swim fitness 'coz I can still do 1:37-1:42/100m interval sets.  I'm so lazy to go run and ride.  The accidents did affect me wherein I'm now supper cautious on the bike and it showed on my HIM.  I also developed some loss of sensation down south thus waiting 2 weeks until I hit the saddle again.  I forgot to switch the saddles...   It prompted me to get the Adamo saddle as soon as possible hahaha!

My A race is not until the 2nd weekend of August so I think I'll be ok.  I'll take 1-2 weeks to slowly get back to training shape then about 11 weeks of hard training and a week for taper and travel since the race is overseas.  Short but intense work outs on the bike and run.

Seriously though, I have no urge to run or ride but I'll slowly force myself back into the habit.

Edited by arkmann 2011-04-28 3:34 PM
2011-04-29 5:13 AM
in reply to: #3470910

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
powerman - 2011-04-28 9:15 AM

OK... I guess what it throwing me is I keep thinking distance and most seem to speak in time. I'm not toally clueless... I have the "Tri Bible". Friel goes in depth of how to put a schedule together and concepts of volume and intensity.... but I just don't get where to start. I realize everyone is different, but I just don't see any sort of mile markers or benchmarks of where I'm at or where I should be.

Looking at periodization, I uderstand the concepts, but just don't know what numbers to "start plugging in". I am a tri newbie and I'm 44. Friels says if you are a rookie and a masters don't even worry about all the periods for first year just stay in base and build endurance... which is pretty much what I have been doing for the last 4 months.

So it does not seem like I am too far off. I think I will  look more at adapting this plan here. I have looked at it before but it did not seem to match what I wanted. Running is really my concern. How much do I need to be doing to get in a HIM?  In June I have a 100K bike event, a 10 mile hill run event and then my first Sprint. In July I have an Olimpic tri, and then the HIM in August. So while I'm not getting too fancy with my training and periodization, obviously I want to "peak" right and maximize my training.

I'm not worried about finishing (as long as I don't bonk which has happened to me), and my goal is to finish in 6 hours. Seems achievable but lofty.

Ok. I think I get where you are coming from. My advice would be to start a plan and see how you progress in terms of performance and distance. The half plan I am following mixes both speed and endurance workouts and I have noticed substantial improvement in my swim time, which needed the most amount of work. As for the run and bike, I was less concerned with speed and dialed backed the workouts as needed. The value of following a plan is that you can look back and gauge your performance overtime. Unless you get a coach, few plans will give you specific distance and time targets because everyone has a different pace.If you are looking for a run goal, if you can get to a distance of 10 miles, then you can do 13.1. Rather than focusing on time, gauge performance based on heart rate or RPE. If you can run 10 or miles and keep your heart rate between z2 and z3, you will be successful. Use effort as a gauge of performance rather than speed and you will gain comfort in your ability not only to complete the race but also that you have enough in the tank to push it if you want.
2011-04-29 10:28 AM
in reply to: #3472747

User image

Elite

JoePetto - 2011-04-29 4:13 AM
powerman - 2011-04-28 9:15 AM
Ok. I think I get where you are coming from. My advice would be to start a plan and see how you progress in terms of performance and distance. The half plan I am following mixes both speed and endurance workouts and I have noticed substantial improvement in my swim time, which needed the most amount of work. As for the run and bike, I was less concerned with speed and dialed backed the workouts as needed. The value of following a plan is that you can look back and gauge your performance overtime. Unless you get a coach, few plans will give you specific distance and time targets because everyone has a different pace.If you are looking for a run goal, if you can get to a distance of 10 miles, then you can do 13.1. Rather than focusing on time, gauge performance based on heart rate or RPE. If you can run 10 or miles and keep your heart rate between z2 and z3, you will be successful. Use effort as a gauge of performance rather than speed and you will gain comfort in your ability not only to complete the race but also that you have enough in the tank to push it if you want.

Uhg... that's twice now my post has been messed up. It totally skipped my whole post

Edited by powerman 2011-04-29 10:31 AM
2011-04-29 10:51 AM
in reply to: #3052895

User image

Elite

powerman - 2011-04-29 9:49 AM

How is that possible nothing posts???

Sooo... as I was saying... Thanks a bunch Joe for your help. I have a bit of confidence that I'm in the right place and that there is still some room for improvement. I did a 8mi race in Feb. all z4, could not go any slower, last in AG and only a few behind me. Did a 10K in Mar. Friend dragged me faster than I wanted. Still z4 but top 20 AG and finnished 55 min. On the 12 mi I did with my running friend he wanted to take it easy on me. Top of z3 steady and finished in 1:54. So I definitely see improvement.

I did a Tri group at my gym 1st of the year with ex-pro/coach leading it. Got a lot of swim instruction and drills from that. Can still work on mechanics but that has improved too and I'm doing 400s in 6 min. Biking I'm not worried about.... endurance/speed/power. I just need to get running faster.

I think I will count back from my race in Aug... that puts me in week 15 right now. My long ride this week is 2 hrs and I did 2:15 yesterday before a storm. I think I will just tack on a bit on long days... I like longer stuff. And then tweak what I need for speed/endurance. I have been doing recovery too and trying listen to my body. My coach kept harping on me I was doing too much too soon which seems to be a common mistake. So like everyone I want to get enough training in, but I also want to get enough rest in and not get injured. It is quite the balancing act.

Thanks again for the help. I think this will keep me going strong.

2011-04-29 5:49 PM
in reply to: #3473352

User image

Expert
Best run of the year!!!My 7 year old, me and the wife ran her first grade mile run and she was the first girl to finish and fourth overall. Finishing time was 8:21! She asked us whether she was old enough for a tri. A very proud papa.

Edited by JoePetto 2011-04-29 5:49 PM

2011-04-29 6:00 PM
in reply to: #3474143

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
JoePetto - 2011-04-29 5:49 PM

Best run of the year!!!My 7 year old, me and the wife ran her first grade mile run and she was the first girl to finish and fourth overall. Finishing time was 8:21! She asked us whether she was old enough for a tri. A very proud papa.

Wow. Thats pretty impressive. Good for her.

Having kids in tri's is great when they get older because as they need gear it is a great excuse to give them yours which than requires that you upgrade.

Had to edit this. It goes to the wife next, than the kids.

Edited by popsracer 2011-04-29 6:01 PM
2011-04-30 1:13 PM
in reply to: #3474143

User image

Regular
Toronto, ON

JoePetto - 2011-04-29 5:49 PM Best run of the year!!!My 7 year old, me and the wife ran her first grade mile run and she was the first girl to finish and fourth overall. Finishing time was 8:21! She asked us whether she was old enough for a tri. A very proud papa.

Awesome!  Good for her.  

I did my first group ride this morning.  I was terrified to go but the weather was great and it involved getting to know a lot of the lesser known bike paths and good loops in the city, PLUS today was long ride day anyway ... so I sucked up my fear and went.  I left my house (on my bike) at 9:01 and came back in the door at 12:31.   Holy.  It was awesome.  After 2 weeks of rain, it's sunny and (not really all that) warm and it was great to get outside.  My handling skills need quite a bit of work, as does my bike endurance in general.  But I had a great morning.  And now I'm done the first week of the training plan!  Yay!

2011-05-01 6:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX
I'm really getting worried about my training.  The sea is a mess again and unless I can sneak in a swim today I'll have been without a swim all week.  I've also been knocked down with a GI virus that seems to come and go (but is finally gone) and day before yesterday knocked out 120km on the bike.  This was a first for me (distance) and longer than the plan but I was trying to catch up with missed workouts.  I decided to do 2 loops of my medium ride (60km) as my IM (in November, no idea on the HIM in ACK! a MONTH bike route) has 3 60km loops and I figured this would be a good test of my mental fortitude.  I also wanted to check nutrition.  I took 4 scoops of Cytomax (360 cal), 2 gels and a banana and I know it wasn't enough but it got me to the run (20 min) and then I bonked but that was okay as I refueled while taking the kids to the pool directly off the run.  I also took in 4 L of water and while I got a bit bloated I was still dehydrated.  So I'm looking into Endurolytes.  Looking for a mule to bring them down.  Anyway, it was a huge mental hurdle do get that distance in and the nutrition check.  I also found I most likely have Morton's neuromas and now figuring out how to handle that (moving cleats to see what that does).  I've not had a problem at 90km so it might just be an issue of getting the feet used to the distance.  My legs were fine both ride and run and I was happy to find that out.
2011-05-01 8:37 AM
in reply to: #3475613

User image

Expert
kathy caribe - 2011-05-01 6:58 AMI'm really getting worried about my training.
KC - read your blog and checked out your logs and you are clearly pushing it very hard. Are you concerned that you may be jeopardizing IMCOZ with all your training? Sounds like you may need to prioritize and run the HIM for what it is.
2011-05-01 11:17 AM
in reply to: #3475705

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX

JoePetto - 2011-05-01 8:37 AM
KC - read your blog and checked out your logs and you are clearly pushing it very hard. Are you concerned that you may be jeopardizing IMCOZ with all your training? Sounds like you may need to prioritize and run the HIM for what it is.

Pushing hard?  I thought I've been slacking!  Seriously!    No I totally have been feeling like I won't be ready for Fuga (HIM).  What an amazing help you've been - now I'm feeling much better about the HIM.  THANKS!

2011-05-01 2:54 PM

User image

Expert
, Michigan

Back from a week camping with 6th graders! Got in lots of running, but no biking or swimming. Had my first 2 hour ride yesterday and it went great. Stayed mentally tough....broke the ride into chunks to match my nutrition needs, and before I knew it I was home! Good confidence builder.

Week fifteen started today :-) Where has the first quarter of the plan gone?

2011-05-01 8:42 PM
in reply to: #3474840

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
lamb_y2003 - 2011-04-30 1:13 PM

JoePetto - 2011-04-29 5:49 PM Best run of the year!!!My 7 year old, me and the wife ran her first grade mile run and she was the first girl to finish and fourth overall. Finishing time was 8:21! She asked us whether she was old enough for a tri. A very proud papa.

Awesome!  Good for her.  

I did my first group ride this morning.  I was terrified to go but the weather was great and it involved getting to know a lot of the lesser known bike paths and good loops in the city, PLUS today was long ride day anyway ... so I sucked up my fear and went.  I left my house (on my bike) at 9:01 and came back in the door at 12:31.   Holy.  It was awesome.  After 2 weeks of rain, it's sunny and (not really all that) warm and it was great to get outside.  My handling skills need quite a bit of work, as does my bike endurance in general.  But I had a great morning.  And now I'm done the first week of the training plan!  Yay!

Great job getting up the nerve to try something new!

2011-05-01 8:45 PM
in reply to: #3475837

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
kathy caribe - 2011-05-01 11:17 AM

Pushing hard?  I thought I've been slacking!  Seriously!    No I totally have been feeling like I won't be ready for Fuga (HIM).  What an amazing help you've been - now I'm feeling much better about the HIM.  THANKS!

Yes, you will be fine! You are really pushing the training and I think you really underestimate how much you are doing. You are training more than most people do for a HIM.

2011-05-01 8:50 PM
in reply to: #3473352

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
powerman - 2011-04-29 10:51 AM

powerman - 2011-04-29 9:49 AM

How is that possible nothing posts???

Sooo... as I was saying... Thanks a bunch Joe for your help. I have a bit of confidence that I'm in the right place and that there is still some room for improvement. I did a 8mi race in Feb. all z4, could not go any slower, last in AG and only a few behind me. Did a 10K in Mar. Friend dragged me faster than I wanted. Still z4 but top 20 AG and finnished 55 min. On the 12 mi I did with my running friend he wanted to take it easy on me. Top of z3 steady and finished in 1:54. So I definitely see improvement.

I did a Tri group at my gym 1st of the year with ex-pro/coach leading it. Got a lot of swim instruction and drills from that. Can still work on mechanics but that has improved too and I'm doing 400s in 6 min. Biking I'm not worried about.... endurance/speed/power. I just need to get running faster.

I think I will count back from my race in Aug... that puts me in week 15 right now. My long ride this week is 2 hrs and I did 2:15 yesterday before a storm. I think I will just tack on a bit on long days... I like longer stuff. And then tweak what I need for speed/endurance. I have been doing recovery too and trying listen to my body. My coach kept harping on me I was doing too much too soon which seems to be a common mistake. So like everyone I want to get enough training in, but I also want to get enough rest in and not get injured. It is quite the balancing act.

OK, deep breath. Yes, there are many people that get fired up and do way too much too soon. It sounds like you may be one of them. It's ok. That type of motivated personality is attracted to triathlons.

This thread is for people following the Beginner HIM plan here on BT. It is a solid plan. Many people modify it to fit their needs, but it is still a static training plan. Unless you want to hire a coach, you have to make some sacrifices and eventually choose a plan and TRUST IT. Too much information from too many sources can be overwhelming and prevent you from sticking with one thing for long enough to make it work.

There will always be other athletes and coaches suggesting you do things differently. You must choose a path and stick with it first. If it doesn't work well enough for you, then change it. But first you must stop over-analyzing and commit.

You are on the right path. You will be ready for the race as long as you stick to a plan. Best of luck to you! I know you have the triathlete spirit!

2011-05-01 9:38 PM
in reply to: #3476610

User image

Elite
Tri Take Me Away - 2011-05-01 7:50 PM
powerman - 2011-04-29 10:51 AM

OK, deep breath. Yes, there are many people that get fired up and do way too much too soon. It sounds like you may be one of them. It's ok. That type of motivated personality is attracted to triathlons.

This thread is for people following the Beginner HIM plan here on BT. It is a solid plan. Many people modify it to fit their needs, but it is still a static training plan. Unless you want to hire a coach, you have to make some sacrifices and eventually choose a plan and TRUST IT. Too much information from too many sources can be overwhelming and prevent you from sticking with one thing for long enough to make it work.

There will always be other athletes and coaches suggesting you do things differently. You must choose a path and stick with it first. If it doesn't work well enough for you, then change it. But first you must stop over-analyzing and commit.

You are on the right path. You will be ready for the race as long as you stick to a plan. Best of luck to you! I know you have the triathlete spirit!

Thank you TTMA for the advice. I have a friend at work that did her first HIM last year following this plan. I got good info from the coach I was with but her groups were geared more for... well... new to fitness....

"My plan" up till now was basically following the Bible's advice of just sticking to base and build since I am new to tris and have not been "training" for a while. I tend to "dive right in"... and actually have been doing pretty good at not getting too crazy and just putting in some work and enjoying it.

However, if I don't have a "plan" and just let things work themselves out, then I tend to not do anything. Soooo here I am. I think this will work fine for me to give me some structure. And I do trust it will work cause my co-worker had no trouble at all and she had pretty humble beginnings.

Now I'm off to see how I will schedule week 14!

Edited by powerman 2011-05-01 9:40 PM

2011-05-01 10:35 PM
in reply to: #3476600

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX
Tri Take Me Away - 2011-05-01 8:45 PM
kathy caribe - 2011-05-01 11:17 AM

Yes, you will be fine! You are really pushing the training and I think you really underestimate how much you are doing. You are training more than most people do for a HIM.

This is a huge relief to hear.  I have been padding the bike rides because everyone says that more time in the saddle is always a good thing but I really was feeling like I was slacking off.  So good to hear you agree with Joe that I'm doing okay.  Thank you SO MUCH!

2011-05-02 8:41 AM

User image

Expert
, Michigan

Some Advice Needed:

I'm getting my cycling legs under me after five weeks of the plan. I'm totally new to cycling but have been averaging around 19-20 mph on my "longer" rides (1:30 and 2:00).

I hear a lot about "put more time in the saddle," to build endurance, strength, position comfort, etc...

Question: Should I extend my training rides by 15, 30 or more minutes if I feel good during a ride, or should I STICK TO THE PLAN?

Yesterday, for instance, was a 45 minute ride. That was enough time to get my legs warmed up, and then I was done. Maybe I should just go harder?

I know to each his own....but what successes/failures have you all encountered when modifying the plan to include more time?

Gracias!

2011-05-02 11:44 AM
in reply to: #3477120

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
DV 1 - 2011-05-02 8:41 AM

Some Advice Needed:

I'm getting my cycling legs under me after five weeks of the plan. I'm totally new to cycling but have been averaging around 19-20 mph on my "longer" rides (1:30 and 2:00).

I hear a lot about "put more time in the saddle," to build endurance, strength, position comfort, etc...

Question: Should I extend my training rides by 15, 30 or more minutes if I feel good during a ride, or should I STICK TO THE PLAN?

Yesterday, for instance, was a 45 minute ride. That was enough time to get my legs warmed up, and then I was done. Maybe I should just go harder?

I know to each his own....but what successes/failures have you all encountered when modifying the plan to include more time?

Gracias!

My thoughts on extending any part of the plan is by all means do AS LONG AS you do not compromise any other aspects of the plan. You have to be careful with this though. If I want to do something longer I'll try to alter my weekly schedule to accommodate it. I try to limit the spur of the moment sessions like where I feel great on my 30 minute recovery run and decide to just go for an hour. You upset the balance of the plan this way. Recovery days set you up for the long days which in my opinion are the most important.
2011-05-02 12:34 PM

Expert

How is everyone doing? Happy to see the thread so lively and active!  I have been working hard on my running...logged 54 miles last week and expecting to do the same this week.  I also rode twice and swam once (can't get enough!)  I miss the biking and swimming a lot.  I'm definitely enjoying the running but will be coming back to triathlon.  I may even do the 5150 event in new orleans in 2 weeks...going to flip a coin on it.

Great job everyone and keep working hard...and enjoy!

2011-05-02 12:45 PM
in reply to: #3477708

User image

Bronze member
popsracer - 2011-05-02 11:44 AM

Some Advice Needed:

Gracias!

My thoughts on extending any part of the plan is by all means do AS LONG AS you do not compromise any other aspects of the plan. You have to be careful with this though. If I want to do something longer I'll try to alter my weekly schedule to accommodate it. I try to limit the spur of the moment sessions like where I feel great on my 30 minute recovery run and decide to just go for an hour. You upset the balance of the plan this way. Recovery days set you up for the long days which in my opinion are the most important.

Agree with popsracer 100%.

2011-05-02 1:02 PM

User image

Bronze member

So I did my first tri of the season yesterday. Local sprint that was my first triathlon ever 2 years ago.  The weather has always been awful for this race. 2 years ago we had 30 mph winds and 90 degrees (which we were not ready for). Last year we had 25 mph winds, rain and a high in the 50's. It was awful and my chain slipped off the gear. I had to get off my bike in the downpour to fix it.

This year we finally got a break! 65 degrees, sun and clouds, 10-20 mph winds. Not perfect but manageable. I was so excited to see the sun shining in the morning because the forecast had called for rain all week. I was just happy to be racing and ready to put all this training to work! The race went great. I finally put everything together and didn't make any major bonehead mistakes. Finished 1st in my age group and 4th woman overall out of 75. Really all of that doesn't matter. I'm just happy I had fun and put together a solid race. I smoked the transitions (more important in a sprint than a HIM I think) and PR'd the bike and run.

Sorry if I sound like I'm tooting my own horn. I just had a rough season last year with lots of races in bad weather, pacing issues, and a general feeling like I just wasn't making the progress I had hoped to see. Yesterdays race really helped me shake that monkey off my back!

2011-05-02 1:18 PM
in reply to: #3477120

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX

Some Advice Needed:

Gracias!

In my very limited experience (only training since November) I've been adding bike time to the plan constantly.  In the early weeks it was by hours and now it is by an hour or less.  The most I've ridden in a week was 9 hours and I was definitely overtraining then.  I only add to bike when I know I'll be hitting eveyrthign else OR if the sea is such a mess that I can't swim but I don't skimp the other workouts to add to bike.  This early in the plan I'd say is the perfect time for you to figure out if you can get away with it or now.  YMMV, of course.

2011-05-02 1:24 PM
in reply to: #3477824

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
JG_GreenCoast - 2011-05-02 12:34 PM

How is everyone doing? Happy to see the thread so lively and active!  I have been working hard on my running...logged 54 miles last week and expecting to do the same this week.  I also rode twice and swam once (can't get enough!)  I miss the biking and swimming a lot.  I'm definitely enjoying the running but will be coming back to triathlon.  I may even do the 5150 event in new orleans in 2 weeks...going to flip a coin on it.

Great job everyone and keep working hard...and enjoy!

Good to hear from you again. That is a lot of miles. You must be feeling pretty good. Also glad to hear that you still doing some bike/swim work. It is a nice compliment to all those running miles. If you do the 5150, let us know how you do.
2011-05-02 1:29 PM
in reply to: #3477920

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
trigal38 - 2011-05-02 1:02 PM

So I did my first tri of the season yesterday. Local sprint that was my first triathlon ever 2 years ago.  The weather has always been awful for this race. 2 years ago we had 30 mph winds and 90 degrees (which we were not ready for). Last year we had 25 mph winds, rain and a high in the 50's. It was awful and my chain slipped off the gear. I had to get off my bike in the downpour to fix it.

This year we finally got a break! 65 degrees, sun and clouds, 10-20 mph winds. Not perfect but manageable. I was so excited to see the sun shining in the morning because the forecast had called for rain all week. I was just happy to be racing and ready to put all this training to work! The race went great. I finally put everything together and didn't make any major bonehead mistakes. Finished 1st in my age group and 4th woman overall out of 75. Really all of that doesn't matter. I'm just happy I had fun and put together a solid race. I smoked the transitions (more important in a sprint than a HIM I think) and PR'd the bike and run.

Sorry if I sound like I'm tooting my own horn. I just had a rough season last year with lots of races in bad weather, pacing issues, and a general feeling like I just wasn't making the progress I had hoped to see. Yesterdays race really helped me shake that monkey off my back!

Congratulations on an awesome race. It is such a great feeling when everything comes together in a race. There are so many aspects of a tri race that it is tough to get it all right and sounds like you did.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 150