of 150

2011-05-02 1:34 PM
in reply to: #3477920

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX
Subject: RE: Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group
trigal38 - 2011-05-02 1:02 PM

So I did my first tri of the season yesterday. Local sprint that was my first triathlon ever 2 years ago.  The weather has always been awful for this race. 2 years ago we had 30 mph winds and 90 degrees (which we were not ready for). Last year we had 25 mph winds, rain and a high in the 50's. It was awful and my chain slipped off the gear. I had to get off my bike in the downpour to fix it.

This year we finally got a break! 65 degrees, sun and clouds, 10-20 mph winds. Not perfect but manageable. I was so excited to see the sun shining in the morning because the forecast had called for rain all week. I was just happy to be racing and ready to put all this training to work! The race went great. I finally put everything together and didn't make any major bonehead mistakes. Finished 1st in my age group and 4th woman overall out of 75. Really all of that doesn't matter. I'm just happy I had fun and put together a solid race. I smoked the transitions (more important in a sprint than a HIM I think) and PR'd the bike and run.

Sorry if I sound like I'm tooting my own horn. I just had a rough season last year with lots of races in bad weather, pacing issues, and a general feeling like I just wasn't making the progress I had hoped to see. Yesterdays race really helped me shake that monkey off my back!

good for you!  I spent over 6 min in transition in my 1st triathlon but my 2nd will be an HIM so I'm not going to sweat it that much but yeah, you can totally lose the race in transition in a sprint!  Good job!

2011-05-02 4:05 PM
in reply to: #3052895

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Is there a way to make the training week in the logs start on Monday?

The plan starts each training week on Monday and that is how a structure weekly load. It really bugs me that the weekly totals in the logs do not reflect this since they have the week starting on Sunday. Seems odd to me as most other plans I've seen also start on Mondays.
2011-05-02 5:38 PM

User image

Expert
, Michigan

Not sure pops? 7 days is 7 days in my book.

Best brick to date today!!! 1 hour ride averaging 21 mph followed by a 30 minute 7:45 average run. Bike was easy, run was tough.

Thoughts:

1. Now I know I can run 4 miles at 7:45 pace......dammit.....now I have to keep that up :-)

2. Sure feels good to finish knowing you gave a real good effort.

3. I need to practice more yoga or something to keep more focus and affirmative thoughts during times of struggle. I had to keep reminding myself to think positive during the run. Positive thoughts should be the default.

4. I'm way faster on the bike than I thought I'd be at this point in my training. 

5. It was finally warm enough for me to wear my new tri suit and I felt like a badass triathlete! I love that thing!

Regarding my previous question about adding time to planned exercise......I think I'll stick to the planned times and just try to go a bit harder if I'm feeling so fresh. My run today was the fastest I've run yet.....and I survived. I think I need to start pushing myself a bit harder. I ran with some high school counselors while at camp last week and I held them back big time. They were running around 7:45 miles to humor me and it was all I could do to keep up.....but I did. I think I proved to myself that day that I wasn't running fast enough. At one point I said to them, "You all go ahead and I'll meet you back at camp." They got about ten feet ahead of me before I said to myself, "no way you're letting them run away from you." I cought up and we all finished together - minus the last 100 when they sprinted.

Sure feels good to have a successfull day training!!!

2011-05-02 7:03 PM
in reply to: #3478460

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
DV - don't fall in love with the speed. As tempting as it may be, speed alone won't get through 70.3 miles. If you are following the plan, you may want to consider minimizing speed workouts as they tend to deplete you most and require the greatest amount of recovery. Everyone has a tipping point and you need to find where that point where the miles you add are qualitative and not what they call "junk miles." For me, I have tended to add miles on the bike and tried to focus on more hills. As I see it, the payoff on hills are huge and no one is ever worse off because they opted for more hills. Plus you can get a lot out of a moderate amount of additional work.
2011-05-02 8:30 PM
in reply to: #3478313

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX

popsracer - 2011-05-02 4:05 PM Is there a way to make the training week in the logs start on Monday? The plan starts each training week on Monday and that is how a structure weekly load. It really bugs me that the weekly totals in the logs do not reflect this since they have the week starting on Sunday. Seems odd to me as most other plans I've seen also start on Mondays.

It is there somewhere.  that was bugging me too and I found a way.  I'll see if I can figure it out again and report back.

Got it.  Settings (the little tool above the big RACES box), training log settings tab, log defaut tab and bout 1/2 way down the page you should see it, "Weeks start on"

Edited by kathy caribe 2011-05-02 8:33 PM
2011-05-03 12:02 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Thanks Kathy. That was perfect.

Edited by popsracer 2011-05-03 12:05 AM

2011-05-03 9:47 AM

User image

New user
Gallatin, TN
Ok. 4 days to race! Definitley feeling the butterflies. Getting started on my packing has helped. Tapering makes me nervous, just because I barely get warmed up which is when I feel like I am too slow and I do not really have time to get into that rhythm that feels like I can go for a really long time. Just nerves I know.
I am working on my mental prep too, focusing on what I am going to do and when, so at least I will have a plan before the realities of the race set in. Getting to PCB on Thursday so I can scope out the course and get a couple of swims in the ocean before race day.
Looking forward to finding out how well I did with this training plan!

Thank you for your support!

Edited by bill2059 2011-05-03 10:14 AM
2011-05-03 11:17 AM

User image

Expert
, Michigan
GO BILL GO BILL HIP HIP HORRAY HIP HIP HORRAY NEED MORE COWBELL!!!!!
2011-05-03 11:22 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Dinga linga, dinga linga, dinga linga, dinga linga. (More cowbells for you)

Good luck Bill
2011-05-03 12:01 PM

User image

Regular
Toronto, ON

Very exciting, Bill.  I can't imagine the nerves.  All the best for a great race.  Make sure you have fun!

I'm on week 19 so just getting started but wowzers, are my legs tired.  I think I'm supposed to be going easy but I guess the cumulative effect is catching up.  This is just growing pains, right?  Or should I plan to be very sorry for the next 18 weeks?  Smile

2011-05-03 12:39 PM
in reply to: #3479539

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX

bill2059 - 2011-05-03 9:47 AM Ok. 4 days to race! Definitley feeling the butterflies. Getting started on my packing has helped. Tapering makes me nervous, just because I barely get warmed up which is when I feel like I am too slow and I do not really have time to get into that rhythm that feels like I can go for a really long time. Just nerves I know. I am working on my mental prep too, focusing on what I am going to do and when, so at least I will have a plan before the realities of the race set in. Getting to PCB on Thursday so I can scope out the course and get a couple of swims in the ocean before race day. Looking forward to finding out how well I did with this training plan! Thank you for your support!

Have a great race!

2011-05-03 1:45 PM
in reply to: #3479539

User image

Bronze member

bill2059 - 2011-05-03 9:47 AM Ok. 4 days to race! Definitley feeling the butterflies. Getting started on my packing has helped. Tapering makes me nervous, just because I barely get warmed up which is when I feel like I am too slow and I do not really have time to get into that rhythm that feels like I can go for a really long time. Just nerves I know. I am working on my mental prep too, focusing on what I am going to do and when, so at least I will have a plan before the realities of the race set in. Getting to PCB on Thursday so I can scope out the course and get a couple of swims in the ocean before race day. Looking forward to finding out how well I did with this training plan! Thank you for your support!

WOOT! Good luck Bill and enjoy your race!

2011-05-03 2:18 PM
in reply to: #3479870

User image

Bronze member
lamb_y2003 - 2011-05-03 12:01 PM

Very exciting, Bill.  I can't imagine the nerves.  All the best for a great race.  Make sure you have fun!

I'm on week 19 so just getting started but wowzers, are my legs tired.  I think I'm supposed to be going easy but I guess the cumulative effect is catching up.  This is just growing pains, right?  Or should I plan to be very sorry for the next 18 weeks?  Smile

Just growing pains. You'll be fine!

2011-05-03 4:11 PM

New user

Boulder, CO

Hi Everyone!

My first HIM (and my first official triathlon) is in Boulder, Colorado on August 7. I was using a training schedule to prepare for the Colfax Half Marathon on May 15 and adding as much biking and swimming as I could on the side. I'm pretty nervous about the swim though and just found this program. I counted back on my calendar and it looks like I should be at week 14 so I think I'm going to jump in there an give this a try. Good luck everyone!

Lindsay

www.reachingfor703.com

2011-05-03 5:02 PM

User image

Expert
, Michigan
Welcome Lindsey! We're pretty close to the same week on the plan as my HIM is also at the beginning of August. Check in with us often....share successes when you have them....and by all means thrown out as many questions as you have. Lots of really great people on here ready and willing to answer!
2011-05-03 7:12 PM

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
Welcome Lindsay. Best thing to do with the swim is to focus your time in the pool on technique and not think about swimming fast.

2011-05-03 8:26 PM
in reply to: #3480486

User image

Elite
LindsayBrust - 2011-05-03 3:11 PM

Hi Everyone!

My first HIM (and my first official triathlon) is in Boulder, Colorado on August 7. I was using a training schedule to prepare for the Colfax Half Marathon on May 15 and adding as much biking and swimming as I could on the side. I'm pretty nervous about the swim though and just found this program. I counted back on my calendar and it looks like I should be at week 14 so I think I'm going to jump in there an give this a try. Good luck everyone!

Lindsay

www.reachingfor703.com

We are in the same week because we are doing the same Tri.I'm pretty excited. Been waiting for warmer weather to get in some open swimming in Denver. Right now it's just pool work. Masters swim classes are everywhere. You could get some coaching.

2011-05-04 9:58 AM

User image

Regular
Knoxville, TN

Hello eveyone:

My HIM is Sept 25th...I'm on week 20 (just starting) or is that week one?  Hmmmm, anyway, I needed to do first training week twice to make up the time..... so i am....in week one of training and I felt like someone beat my legs with sticks after the first swim/run workout....its getting better now but my question is...yesterday was supposed to be a bike day and it was a torrential rain here all day....do you skip those workouts or make them up on your scheduled off day or do you hit the gym on a stationary bike or in a spin class??  Thanks.

Edited by rrobinette 2011-05-04 10:02 AM
2011-05-04 11:46 AM
in reply to: #3481506

User image

New user
Gallatin, TN

Hello eveyone:

My HIM is Sept 25th...I'm on week 20 (just starting) or is that week one?  Hmmmm, anyway, I needed to do first training week twice to make up the time..... so i am....in week one of training and I felt like someone beat my legs with sticks after the first swim/run workout....its getting better now but my question is...yesterday was supposed to be a bike day and it was a torrential rain here all day....do you skip those workouts or make them up on your scheduled off day or do you hit the gym on a stationary bike or in a spin class??  Thanks.

Spin Bike / Getting on the Trainer / Switch it around with swim / run or OFF day. To get the maximum benfit, it is not good idea to skip workouts altogether unless you just do not have another option.
2011-05-04 1:06 PM
in reply to: #3477920

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
trigal38 - 2011-05-02 1:02 PM

So I did my first tri of the season yesterday. Local sprint that was my first triathlon ever 2 years ago.  The weather has always been awful for this race. 2 years ago we had 30 mph winds and 90 degrees (which we were not ready for). Last year we had 25 mph winds, rain and a high in the 50's. It was awful and my chain slipped off the gear. I had to get off my bike in the downpour to fix it.

This year we finally got a break! 65 degrees, sun and clouds, 10-20 mph winds. Not perfect but manageable. I was so excited to see the sun shining in the morning because the forecast had called for rain all week. I was just happy to be racing and ready to put all this training to work! The race went great. I finally put everything together and didn't make any major bonehead mistakes. Finished 1st in my age group and 4th woman overall out of 75. Really all of that doesn't matter. I'm just happy I had fun and put together a solid race. I smoked the transitions (more important in a sprint than a HIM I think) and PR'd the bike and run.

Sorry if I sound like I'm tooting my own horn. I just had a rough season last year with lots of races in bad weather, pacing issues, and a general feeling like I just wasn't making the progress I had hoped to see. Yesterdays race really helped me shake that monkey off my back!

Congrats! That is so awesome!!!

2011-05-04 1:08 PM
in reply to: #3478313

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

popsracer - 2011-05-02 4:05 PM Is there a way to make the training week in the logs start on Monday? The plan starts each training week on Monday and that is how a structure weekly load. It really bugs me that the weekly totals in the logs do not reflect this since they have the week starting on Sunday. Seems odd to me as most other plans I've seen also start on Mondays.

Go to Settings, then click on Training Log Settings. You can change what day your week starts on there.

2011-05-04 1:11 PM
in reply to: #3480486

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
LindsayBrust - 2011-05-03 4:11 PM

Hi Everyone!

Lindsay

www.reachingfor703.com

Welcome! We are happy to have you here!

2011-05-04 1:13 PM
in reply to: #3481506

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
rrobinette - 2011-05-04 9:58 AM

Hello eveyone:

Of you can change your days around, do that. If you can get to spin class, sub that. If you can't do any of those, skip the workout and do not try to make it up. Just move on.

2011-05-04 1:20 PM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

I want to address something that I see a lot with new triathletes and in my own clients. When you are following a training plan like this HIM plan, it's very hard to not constantly try to be faster. However, the best way to improve fitness and gain speed as a new triathlete is by doing base work in heart rate zones 1-2. One of the MOST commom mistakes new athletes make is to do every workout at a moderately hard effort. This creates injuries, burnout, and fitness plateaus. It's like building a skyscraper on quicksand.

Endurance comes first, not speed. You WILL get faster if you train in Zone 1-2. Trying to do each run and bike workout faster than the last will just FRY you as an athlete and is a very short term solution to a long-term problem.

Please do not feel like every workout is a race against the last one. You should take each workout as an easy endurance effort that is building a strong engine. Over time, you will go faster and faster at that easy effort level but ONLY if you train at that level. Once you have a year or so of endurance work, then you can add speed to that solid foundation. That's not to say that you can NEVER have speed sessions now, just that speed sessions should be targeted efforts, and not what you do every time you go out training.

2011-05-04 2:58 PM
in reply to: #3481989

User image

Bronze member
Tri Take Me Away - 2011-05-04 1:20 PM

I want to address something that I see a lot with new triathletes and in my own clients. When you are following a training plan like this HIM plan, it's very hard to not constantly try to be faster. However, the best way to improve fitness and gain speed as a new triathlete is by doing base work in heart rate zones 1-2. One of the MOST commom mistakes new athletes make is to do every workout at a moderately hard effort. This creates injuries, burnout, and fitness plateaus. It's like building a skyscraper on quicksand.

Endurance comes first, not speed. You WILL get faster if you train in Zone 1-2. Trying to do each run and bike workout faster than the last will just FRY you as an athlete and is a very short term solution to a long-term problem.

Please do not feel like every workout is a race against the last one. You should take each workout as an easy endurance effort that is building a strong engine. Over time, you will go faster and faster at that easy effort level but ONLY if you train at that level. Once you have a year or so of endurance work, then you can add speed to that solid foundation. That's not to say that you can NEVER have speed sessions now, just that speed sessions should be targeted efforts, and not what you do every time you go out training.

Thanks for this reminder! I need to copy and paste this into my training log.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 150