BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty RidiculoSnarky Almost Intelligent-Charming Manatees PART 4 - Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 85

2012-08-27 2:00 PM
in reply to: #4382432

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Yanti & Salty RidiculoSnarky Almost Intelligent-Charming Manatees PART 4 - Full
Asalzwed - 2012-08-28 2:20 AM

I survived my crazy weekend.

I went from Seattle to Mt. Hood to Seattle to Arlington to Seaside and  back to Seattle. That's like, 800 miles in 2.5 days or something!!! I was balancing working the Hood to Coast Relay with PowerBar and attending a really good friend's wedding.  

I managed to get in some running on the trails at Mt. Hood which was BEAUTIFUL BTW, drink lots of great micro-brew and make some amazing contacts. At one point I was driving the Race announcers car (he gave me the keys, no questions asked. Shame on him Wink) and then I got roped into doing a flexed arm hang competition at the Marines booth.

Here I am climbing the announcers tower returning the keys hahaha

Annnnd my big flexed arm hang win

I want to chew on your calves.

My "busy weekend" started today--businesses finally open again so doing 1x10^6 things for my folks in two days before I go back to my beloved Funny Farm, wheeeeeee!

Gotta schleep. 2am, I know, crazy early for me, but BUSHED. Just ... uh, as in tired.

2012-08-27 2:02 PM
in reply to: #4382572

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Yanti & Salty RidiculoSnarky Almost Intelligent-Charming Manatees PART 4 - Full
TriAya - 2012-08-27 2:00 PM

I went from Seattle to Mt. Hood to Seattle to Arlington to Seaside and  back to Seattle. That's like, 800 miles in 2.5 days or something!!! I was balancing working the Hood to Coast Relay with PowerBar and attending a really good friend's wedding.  

I managed to get in some running on the trails at Mt. Hood which was BEAUTIFUL BTW, drink lots of great micro-brew and make some amazing contacts. At one point I was driving the Race announcers car (he gave me the keys, no questions asked. Shame on him Wink) and then I got roped into doing a flexed arm hang competition at the Marines booth.

My "busy weekend" started today--businesses finally open again so doing 1x10^6 things for my folks in two days before I go back to my beloved Funny Farm, wheeeeeee!

Gotta schleep. 2am, I know, crazy early for me, but BUSHED. Just ... uh, as in tired.

You mean gumdrops!

Sweet dreams!

Also, two days! That means you have a lot of pop tarts to eat between now and then to lighten your load. 

Edited by Asalzwed 2012-08-27 2:20 PM
2012-08-27 2:47 PM
in reply to: #4382575

User image

Melon Presser
Asalzwed - 2012-08-28 3:02 AM

You mean gumdrops!

Sweet dreams!

Also, two days! That means you have a lot of pop tarts to eat between now and then to lighten your load. 

I bought suitcases today. Plural.

I'm spozed to be asleep, aren't I?

2012-08-27 2:52 PM
in reply to: #4382705

User image

Seattle
TriAya - 2012-08-27 2:47 PM

You mean gumdrops!

Sweet dreams!

Psshhh nah, sleep is for the weak. 

Besides. I need somebody to keep me company. Want to make some decisions for me as well? Smile

2012-08-27 2:57 PM
in reply to: #4382718

User image

Melon Presser
Asalzwed - 2012-08-28 3:52 AM
TriAya - 2012-08-27 2:47 PM

You mean gumdrops!

Sweet dreams!

Psshhh nah, sleep is for the weak. 

Besides. I need somebody to keep me company. Want to make some decisions for me as well? Smile

Okay. I got really bad heartburn eating a bunch of mini Milky Ways and beef jerky at once. Surely I can now make at least better decisions than that ...

Oh. I actually am still pretty weak right now. Not lots, but some.

Edited by TriAya 2012-08-27 3:00 PM
2012-08-27 3:02 PM
in reply to: #4332724

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oops, I was keeping the race report all the myself Embarassed  NOW it's UP

2012-08-27 3:11 PM

User image

Seattle

Ummm well, maybe I need to find someone else to make decisions for me. Someone who isn't eating jerky at 3 am Wink

I'm just trying to figure out how to prioritize XC and road racing. Also, sponsorship stuff. Pros and cons and whatnot. Ahhh I hate deciding this stuff. I'm bad at it.  

2012-08-27 3:14 PM
in reply to: #4381854

User image

Elite
reecealan - 2012-08-27 8:57 AM

Drive by posting as I've got a meeting in 10 minutes.  It was RAINING for yesterday's sprint tri so I went slow on the bike (we know what happened last time I rode in the rain).  But I had a great swim and run.  It was a small field for the "long" course tri, only 27 men, I cam in 4th and as Bob Uecker would say "just a bit outside" the podium.  It's a small fundraiser race but lots of run, great volunteers and great Lake community.   Was my best swim pace and best run pace in any tri thus far.  I got "teenaged" on the run by a H.S. XC boy that was running the relay.

The race is not on BT, can I log the race into BT or do I need to be the RD to do that?  I know the RD and he wouldn't mind me entering it in on his behalf, but I don't know how to do that?

I just log them if they don't exist already - sure they won't mind it's free publicity...oh and well done!

2012-08-27 3:14 PM
in reply to: #4382766

User image

Melon Presser
Asalzwed - 2012-08-28 4:11 AM

Ummm well, maybe I need to find someone else to make decisions for me. Someone who isn't eating jerky at 3 am Wink

I'm just trying to figure out how to prioritize XC and road racing. Also, sponsorship stuff. Pros and cons and whatnot. Ahhh I hate deciding this stuff. I'm bad at it.  

Worse yet, it isn't even my jerky. But it is in a resealable pouch.

Hm. Ask Scout. He knows everything. Except how to spell "all right" in the most all right fashion.

2012-08-27 3:17 PM
in reply to: #4382773

User image

Seattle
TriAya - 2012-08-27 3:14 PM

Hm. Ask Scout. He knows everything. Except how to spell "all right" in the most all right fashion.

Ohh man, where has he been btw? Um ok, I am also ashamed to say this but what is his username again so I can message him? I think I deleted all our old correspondence. 

2012-08-27 3:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

So, overall, my swim was 2:38 slower (booo!) but I hadn't been swimming and I definitely swam way to the outside and added some distance (more so than last race, for sure - but didn't get run over like I did last race).  The slower time is mostly lack of training.

My T1 was slower than last race, but it was much farther from lake to rack in this one, so overall I did just as well, if not better.  I actually ran to transition this time!

My bike was faster on what I felt was a notably harder - and 2 mile longer - course.  So I held my endurance well and improved my average speed from 16.74 to 17.2 and my mile average from 3:35 to 3:29.  Looks like bike is my strong suit!

T2 was slower by 19 seconds, again, as distances from dismount to rack to run are different, hard to make a meaningful assessment. 

My run improved as well, I shaved 25 second off my time and improved my average pace from 9:39 to 9:30.  This course had a tough hill while the last race had a very gradual incline for the first half.  Also, this felt like it went by fast and I wasn't struggling at all, so it was a happier run too!  Probably could have pushed the pace a little more (I always think that, but never push!) but overall, I'm pleased with my performance.

2012-08-27 3:18 PM

User image

Elite

Still basking in the glory of my 3.4km swim.  Today I get to sprint interval run at lunchtime and tonight 1 hour hill climbing on the drainer.  Love it.

In a bit of a better mood - a friend in California posted this on FB "time to get up and make it happen" I like that.  That's what life is about - you want something you gotta try and make it happen.

Feeling good - it's 6.20am not a bad start!

2012-08-27 3:22 PM
in reply to: #4382782

User image

Seattle
ArielLIlB - 2012-08-27 3:17 PM

So, overall, my swim was 2:38 slower (booo!) but I hadn't been swimming and I definitely swam way to the outside and added some distance (more so than last race, for sure - but didn't get run over like I did last race).  The slower time is mostly lack of training.

My T1 was slower than last race, but it was much farther from lake to rack in this one, so overall I did just as well, if not better.  I actually ran to transition this time!

My bike was faster on what I felt was a notably harder - and 2 mile longer - course.  So I held my endurance well and improved my average speed from 16.74 to 17.2 and my mile average from 3:35 to 3:29.  Looks like bike is my strong suit!

T2 was slower by 19 seconds, again, as distances from dismount to rack to run are different, hard to make a meaningful assessment. 

My run improved as well, I shaved 25 second off my time and improved my average pace from 9:39 to 9:30.  This course had a tough hill while the last race had a very gradual incline for the first half.  Also, this felt like it went by fast and I wasn't struggling at all, so it was a happier run too!  Probably could have pushed the pace a little more (I always think that, but never push!) but overall, I'm pleased with my performance.

I always think it's really difficult to compare different races, especially triathlon. Each course is so unique as well as different distances and transition set-ups. So, I wouldn't sweat being "slower" or anything.

You were pleased with your performance and THAT is what matters. That is great! It is always difficult to push the pace. But that is definitely something you can work on in training and the next race. 

Nice work!

2012-08-27 3:26 PM
in reply to: #4382432

User image

Extreme Veteran
Asalzwed - 2012-08-27 2:20 PM

salty, you are an animal!

2012-08-27 3:26 PM

User image

Seattle

In other jacked up news, a race official got killed by a Javelin to the neck! YIKES!

http://www.outsideonline.com/news-from-the-field/Javelin-Kills-German-Sports-Official.html

One time I was sitting on the edge of the vaulting mats minding my own business (probably doing something I wasn't supposed to) when someone yelled "LOOK OUT" just as a hammer (from hammer throw) hit the ground right next to the mat I was sitting on. 

2012-08-27 3:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
So that was my last triathlon of the season   The ocean swim one I was going to do Sept. 23 has been replaced by a horse show - fun!  The next item on my race calendar is a half mary Nov. 4.  I'd really like to improve my PR (2:12:10) and I think one of the best ways to do that is stay up on my bike training, because it feels like it really improves my leg strength, endurance and speed.  I'd love to make a 3 sport HM plan up, since they don't have that on BT - if I currently run only 2x per week max, any suggestions for balancing workouts?  I'd like to be running 3x a week - regular run, track workout with my running club, and long run - and then a bike and a swim, if not 2 of each.  Is that too much? Or should I be running more?  How should you balance the 2 other sports when you are training for run?

2012-08-27 3:39 PM
in reply to: #4382822

User image

Seattle

ArielLIlB - 2012-08-27 3:32 PM So that was my last triathlon of the season   The ocean swim one I was going to do Sept. 23 has been replaced by a horse show - fun!  The next item on my race calendar is a half mary Nov. 4.  I'd really like to improve my PR (2:12:10) and I think one of the best ways to do that is stay up on my bike training, because it feels like it really improves my leg strength, endurance and speed.  I'd love to make a 3 sport HM plan up, since they don't have that on BT - if I currently run only 2x per week max, any suggestions for balancing workouts?  I'd like to be running 3x a week - regular run, track workout with my running club, and long run - and then a bike and a swim, if not 2 of each.  Is that too much? Or should I be running more?  How should you balance the 2 other sports when you are training for run?

Well, you have 2 months to work on your run for the HM in November. That is a lot of time to improve! The best way to do that is to steadily increase your running frequency and distance. Biking helps to a certain extent but doesn't even compare to simply running more. In terms of a 3 sport HM plan? Look at my past month, haha. (The bike distance was lacking but frequency was good) I think since running is your priority right now, I would start with structuring workouts around that and then add in the bike and swim where you can. Just try not to stress out over the swim and bike and really put your emphasis on the run. 

I like what you stated about the 3x a week in terms of having variety in your workouts (track, group, long) but I guarantee you will see more significant improvement if you can bump that up to 4 or 5 times a week. Keep in mind, those additional running workouts can be done verrrrry easy. It's more about just getting out there frequently. 

2012-08-27 3:49 PM
in reply to: #4382844

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Asalzwed - 2012-08-27 3:39 PM

ArielLIlB - 2012-08-27 3:32 PM So that was my last triathlon of the season   The ocean swim one I was going to do Sept. 23 has been replaced by a horse show - fun!  The next item on my race calendar is a half mary Nov. 4.  I'd really like to improve my PR (2:12:10) and I think one of the best ways to do that is stay up on my bike training, because it feels like it really improves my leg strength, endurance and speed.  I'd love to make a 3 sport HM plan up, since they don't have that on BT - if I currently run only 2x per week max, any suggestions for balancing workouts?  I'd like to be running 3x a week - regular run, track workout with my running club, and long run - and then a bike and a swim, if not 2 of each.  Is that too much? Or should I be running more?  How should you balance the 2 other sports when you are training for run?

Well, you have 2 months to work on your run for the HM in November. That is a lot of time to improve! The best way to do that is to steadily increase your running frequency and distance. Biking helps to a certain extent but doesn't even compare to simply running more. In terms of a 3 sport HM plan? Look at my past month, haha. (The bike distance was lacking but frequency was good) I think since running is your priority right now, I would start with structuring workouts around that and then add in the bike and swim where you can. Just try not to stress out over the swim and bike and really put your emphasis on the run. 

I like what you stated about the 3x a week in terms of having variety in your workouts (track, group, long) but I guarantee you will see more significant improvement if you can bump that up to 4 or 5 times a week. Keep in mind, those additional running workouts can be done verrrrry easy. It's more about just getting out there frequently. 

Agree 100% here.  If you focus will be a 13.1 mile run in November, you need to run, mostly easy somethimes hard....where have I heard that before?  It really works.  I like variety so I like mixing in bike and swim etc.  On days where you need only run 3 miles or 30 minutes etc. just put that run at the end of a bike ride for a nice brick workout.  I think from now until then, you will see a great run happening if you run 4-5 times a week.  If you only run 3x a week you might still PR, but maybe not.  So how bad to you want to PR that run?????

2012-08-27 3:56 PM
in reply to: #4382781

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Asalzwed - 2012-08-27 4:17 PM

Ohh man, where has he been btw? Um ok, I am also ashamed to say this but what is his username again so I can message him? I think I deleted all our old correspondence. 

Scout7
2012-08-27 4:02 PM
in reply to: #4382878

User image

Seattle
cdban66 - 2012-08-27 3:56 PM
Asalzwed - 2012-08-27 4:17 PM

Scout7

Agh! Thanks Embarassed Don't rat me out Wink

Are you back from vacation? 

2012-08-27 4:07 PM
in reply to: #4382866

User image

Extreme Veteran
reecealan - 2012-08-27 4:49 PM

Agree 100% here.  If you focus will be a 13.1 mile run in November, you need to run, mostly easy somethimes hard....where have I heard that before?  It really works.  I like variety so I like mixing in bike and swim etc.  On days where you need only run 3 miles or 30 minutes etc. just put that run at the end of a bike ride for a nice brick workout.  I think from now until then, you will see a great run happening if you run 4-5 times a week.  If you only run 3x a week you might still PR, but maybe not.  So how bad to you want to PR that run?????

Thanks! Good to know (although yes, this advice seems so familiar for some reason...).  I would really like to PR and have the confidence, strength and endurance to psuh harder than I usually do throughout the 13.1.  It's hard for me to get motivated sometimes (I'll refer you to my earlier post where I swam 2 times in 5 weeks before this most recent tri) but I think this pod can provide the encouragement I need.  And honestly, there's basically no other sport that is easier to squeeze when time is short, or throw in when a window of time opens, than running. NO EXCUSES Laughing

2012-08-27 4:37 PM
in reply to: #4381854

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
reecealan - 2012-08-27 7:57 AM

Drive by posting as I've got a meeting in 10 minutes.  It was RAINING for yesterday's sprint tri so I went slow on the bike (we know what happened last time I rode in the rain).  But I had a great swim and run.  It was a small field for the "long" course tri, only 27 men, I cam in 4th and as Bob Uecker would say "just a bit outside" the podium.  It's a small fundraiser race but lots of run, great volunteers and great Lake community.   Was my best swim pace and best run pace in any tri thus far.  I got "teenaged" on the run by a H.S. XC boy that was running the relay.

The race is not on BT, can I log the race into BT or do I need to be the RD to do that?  I know the RD and he wouldn't mind me entering it in on his behalf, but I don't know how to do that?

I think I saw a RR for the S.W.A.T. race...

2012-08-27 4:44 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Well I went to an OWS with the Tri Coach from my Masters group and her Tri group.  It was good.  They all wore sleeveless wetsuits and because I don't have a sleeveless I went sans wetsuit.  I was the slowest one there (no surprise) but the 2 coaches each gave me feedback (kind of odd in the middle of a lake).  One told me to get my elbows up and the other (Coach Andie) told me to slow down and "glide". Well I took the glide comment as slow down to make sure I'm getting the full benefit of each stroke and the high elbow comment, well I appreciated the reminder.

Then this morning was masters and I hit some good times! At one point I even caught up to the girl in front of me!!!!!!!!! (Maybe she had a cramp or something Undecided). Anyway I am enjoying masters and am seeing improvements! We did A LOT of pull today but it gave me a chance to work on correct pull form and to translate that once we took the paddles off.

The OWS got me wondering if I should get a sleeveless wetsuit for warmer water.  I was fine without the wetsuit but sure could have used the buoyancy!Laughing

2012-08-27 4:56 PM
in reply to: #4382995

User image

Master
Orlando
rrrunner - 2012-08-27 4:44 PM

Well I went to an OWS with the Tri Coach from my Masters group and her Tri group.  It was good.  They all wore sleeveless wetsuits and because I don't have a sleeveless I went sans wetsuit.  I was the slowest one there (no surprise) but the 2 coaches each gave me feedback (kind of odd in the middle of a lake).  One told me to get my elbows up and the other (Coach Andie) told me to slow down and "glide". Well I took the glide comment as slow down to make sure I'm getting the full benefit of each stroke and the high elbow comment, well I appreciated the reminder.

Then this morning was masters and I hit some good times! At one point I even caught up to the girl in front of me!!!!!!!!! (Maybe she had a cramp or something Undecided). Anyway I am enjoying masters and am seeing improvements! We did A LOT of pull today but it gave me a chance to work on correct pull form and to translate that once we took the paddles off.

The OWS got me wondering if I should get a sleeveless wetsuit for warmer water.  I was fine without the wetsuit but sure could have used the buoyancy!Laughing

i just looked at your logs and it seems you went from about 2:47/100 to 1:42/100 in a couple days time!  I'd say those tips really paid off   Way to go.

2012-08-27 4:59 PM
in reply to: #4382905

User image

Master
Orlando
ArielLIlB - 2012-08-27 4:07 PM
reecealan - 2012-08-27 4:49 PM

Thanks! Good to know (although yes, this advice seems so familiar for some reason...).  I would really like to PR and have the confidence, strength and endurance to psuh harder than I usually do throughout the 13.1.  It's hard for me to get motivated sometimes (I'll refer you to my earlier post where I swam 2 times in 5 weeks before this most recent tri) but I think this pod can provide the encouragement I need.  And honestly, there's basically no other sport that is easier to squeeze when time is short, or throw in when a window of time opens, than running. NO EXCUSES Laughing

I haven't looked, but many times the challenge forum has a run challenge.  I did a couple of them during the off season when I was focusing on increasing my run mileage.  Maybe a challenge would keep your motivation level up and provide a bit of accountability.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty RidiculoSnarky Almost Intelligent-Charming Manatees PART 4 - Full Rss Feed  

of 85