BT Development Mentor Program Archives » brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 108

2010-07-13 9:23 PM
in reply to: #2978732

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Subject: RE: brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now!
Meulen - 2010-07-13 4:58 PM
shmeeg - 2010-07-13 3:50 PM
Meulen - 2010-07-13 12:54 PM Looks like USAT rules!! It's a lake swim so I'm up in the air here. I'm sure I can finish the swim, this is just more opportunity for a disasterous start and a blow up in the water. Maybe I'm overthinking this. However, I've never swam this distance non stop even with a wetsuit. I've swam it in the pool with 3x30 breaks between 400's. I don't know, hopefully this is just mental.

You're good then unless you're trying to podium:

4.4 Wet suits. Each age group participant shall be permitted to wear a wet suit without penalty in any event sanctioned by USA Triathlon up to and including a water temperature of 78 degrees Fahrenheit. When the water temperature is greater than 78 degrees, but less than 84 degrees Fahrenheit, age group participants may wear a wet
suit at their own discretion, provided however that participants who wear a wet suit within this temperature range shall not be eligible for prizes or awards. Age group participants shall not wear wet suits in water temperatures equal to or greater than 84 degrees Fahrenheit.
"F" it!!! I'm doing it even if I can't wear the wetsuit. I just ran 6 miles of intervals and felt great, even though I've been slacking on the running because of my knees. My cycling is definitely at a peak avgeraging more than 20mph on most of my rides. I'm not wasting that because I can't use a wetsuit. I'll struggle my way through it and hammer the bike/run!!! goals: swim: 50 minutes T1: 3 minutes bike: 1hr 10 minutes T2: 2 minutes run: 1 hour 3 hours 5 minutes total Secretly, I'd like to break 3 hours though

With the new machine we're counting on 2:45!!!!!  Kidding aside, sure you'll do great and suspect the 3 hour mark will fall based on everything you've shared on your training.  Don't sweat the weatsuit -- like Tim said it would likely be really hot in it with the water temps where they are.  Good luck!

2010-07-14 8:30 AM
in reply to: #2770949

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
Nice race, David!

Hey everyone - haven't been on the internet much due to work being crazy, so I thought I'd stop by.

Joined Weight Watchers to lose some weight so my run will improve! I guess I was in denial thinking that I could just train to lose the weight. Not so - lost a few pounds, but plateaued and it took me a few months to wrap my head around the fact that I'd have to diet, also. I'm committed to training in triathlon, so I will also have to be committed to weight loss.  I can't wait to see how dropping the pounds helps! 

I think I'm going to nix the Oly in Austin. Unless I lose a significant amount of weight between now and then, I just don't see me doing it without possibly injuring myself on the run. We'll see. If I don't do the Oly, I'm going to do the Hotter 'N Hell Hundred in Wichita Falls, TX. Probably will do the 50 miler given that it is so effing hot. Speaking of which, the heat index in Oklahoma City has been in the 110s the past few days and will remain so for at least the next week. Looks like I have to break-out the trainer and hit the treadmill. Gah.

2010-07-14 10:27 AM
in reply to: #2979657

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
kickitinok - 2010-07-14 8:30 AM

Nice race, David!

Hey everyone - haven't been on the internet much due to work being crazy, so I thought I'd stop by.

Joined Weight Watchers to lose some weight so my run will improve! I guess I was in denial thinking that I could just train to lose the weight. Not so - lost a few pounds, but plateaued and it took me a few months to wrap my head around the fact that I'd have to diet, also. I'm committed to training in triathlon, so I will also have to be committed to weight loss.  I can't wait to see how dropping the pounds helps! 

I think I'm going to nix the Oly in Austin. Unless I lose a significant amount of weight between now and then, I just don't see me doing it without possibly injuring myself on the run. We'll see. If I don't do the Oly, I'm going to do the Hotter 'N Hell Hundred in Wichita Falls, TX. Probably will do the 50 miler given that it is so effing hot. Speaking of which, the heat index in Oklahoma City has been in the 110s the past few days and will remain so for at least the next week. Looks like I have to break-out the trainer and hit the treadmill. Gah.

Good luck Trina! Pick a weight loss plan and stick to it. Losing weight will help you cycling and running for sure. I'm now down 50lbs from my peak weight and I don't think I could of run at all before losing the weight. I get injured enough now. 50lbs ago was just a nightmare. Cycling is also highly dependeant on weight. Any % improvement to your power/weight ratio transfers straight to an increase in your avg speeds!!
2010-07-14 1:25 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
After this no wetsuit thing, I think a swimskin is next on my "want it" list!

http://trisports.com/tyr-male-sayonarashortjohnswimskin.html
2010-07-14 2:43 PM
in reply to: #2980138

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
Meulen - 2010-07-13 11:27 AM
kickitinok - 2010-07-14 8:30 AM Nice race, David!

Good luck Trina! Pick a weight loss plan and stick to it. Losing weight will help you cycling and running for sure. I'm now down 50lbs from my peak weight and I don't think I could of run at all before losing the weight. I get injured enough now. 50lbs ago was just a nightmare. Cycling is also highly dependeant on weight. Any % improvement to your power/weight ratio transfers straight to an increase in your avg speeds!!

Great job losing that much weight! How long did it take you, and what diet plan did you use? I chose WW because I've had success with it in the past as well as I like the meetings....I know, that's kind of strange, but I love learning and it's kind of like being in a classroom. So far I've been doing it 3 days and am not going hungry. Actually having trouble eating all I'm supposed to.

Today was a big day for me and my bike. I put the clipless pedals on my new Look bike. Nervous about crashing (as usual), but didn't! Woot! I'm thinking a few more rides with the pedals and I'll be back to normal.

So.....who's racing this weekend? 
2010-07-14 2:58 PM
in reply to: #2981085

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
kickitinok - 2010-07-14 2:43 PM

Great job losing that much weight! How long did it take you, and what diet plan did you use? I chose WW because I've had success with it in the past as well as I like the meetings....I know, that's kind of strange, but I love learning and it's kind of like being in a classroom. So far I've been doing it 3 days and am not going hungry. Actually having trouble eating all I'm supposed to.

Today was a big day for me and my bike. I put the clipless pedals on my new Look bike. Nervous about crashing (as usual), but didn't! Woot! I'm thinking a few more rides with the pedals and I'll be back to normal.

I did lots of different diet programs over the years. All of them ended up with me putting the weight back on. This time, I took the lifestyle change approach. It took me 3 years to lose 50lbs. I found sports I liked (MTB riding/cycling and now Tri's) and I changed my lifestyle in order to enhance performance in those sports. At first it was simply using livestrong.com to track cals and make sure I was in a proper deficite. After a while I got a good feel for what I should be eating every day. After a plateau I went to eating as much organic as I possibly could. Continued to work on speed and performance and stay focussed on treating food as "fuel".

I'm racing this weekd. First Oly

Edited by Meulen 2010-07-14 2:58 PM

2010-07-14 4:24 PM
in reply to: #2980805

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Meulen - 2010-07-14 11:25 AM After this no wetsuit thing, I think a swimskin is next on my "want it" list! :) http://trisports.com/tyr-male-sayonarashortjohnswimskin.html

I have a blue seventy swinskin that I refuse to wear after two times in the pool w/ it.  Does absolutely nothing except make me feel like I can't catch my breath.  You may have a different experience, just FYI.

Edited by shmeeg 2010-07-14 4:25 PM
2010-07-14 4:36 PM
in reply to: #2981085

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
kickitinok - 2010-07-14 12:43 PM

My SIL and her husband lost mad weight on WW and they said it was totally easy to follow.  GL!  I'm not racing, but doing a sweet trail run up in Joshua Tree Nat'l park on one of the hiking trails.
2010-07-14 11:45 PM

User image

Expert
Dave, I was thinking about you today.  It was the hottest day of the year up here, and it doesn't look like it's letting up till after the weekend.  Bring lots of water/salt/electrolyte stuff, it's gonna be HOT out there!
2010-07-15 9:41 AM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Got around to finally getting a race report done: 

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=217459

We been busy down here in San Diego.  Last two days consisted of LegoLand and Wild Animal Park.  I haven't been doing much training, but definately spent some time walking!
2010-07-15 9:45 AM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
As for this weekend, I decided to go with the 8 hour MTB endurance race.  Why you ask?  I haven't been on the MTB lately and want to get some time on the trails before my next XTERRA August 1st!

I'm still looking good for Nationals, but definately want to get some breathing room in the standings.

Who here thinks Jay should find a MTB and join me on August 1st?  Come on Jay, the race is in Running Springs; it's not that far for you!  I think you owe me since you already bailed on me once!

2010-07-15 10:14 AM
in reply to: #2982565

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
brick94513 - 2010-07-15 9:45 AM

As for this weekend, I decided to go with the 8 hour MTB endurance race.  Why you ask?  I haven't been on the MTB lately and want to get some time on the trails before my next XTERRA August 1st!

I'm still looking good for Nationals, but definately want to get some breathing room in the standings.

Who here thinks Jay should find a MTB and join me on August 1st?  Come on Jay, the race is in Running Springs; it's not that far for you!  I think you owe me since you already bailed on me once!

Nice Tim!!!

Do it Jay!!!.....If nothing else it's an excuse to buy a new toy!! LOL!!

Tim, I'm all set now to go to Vegas Sept. 4th. I should be there all week and am staying in North Vegas the first part of the trip. My wife wants to go a day earlier than we originally planned, which interferes with the HIM I had in the back of my mind (baring the Oly goes well). Theoretically, if I wanted to do some MTB'ing out there and could get it cleared with the boss, is there a place to go that has trails and bike rentals?

One more thing. I think my wife is going to sign up and do the sprint this weekend while I'm doin g the Oly in Hudson!!!

Edited by Meulen 2010-07-15 10:15 AM
2010-07-15 10:34 AM
in reply to: #2982012

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
norcal_SAHD - 2010-07-14 9:45 PM Dave, I was thinking about you today.  It was the hottest day of the year up here, and it doesn't look like it's letting up till after the weekend.  Bring lots of water/salt/electrolyte stuff, it's gonna be HOT out there!

Oh I know - it is really making me nervous about the run since I haven't done a great job of training with all the nutrition I'll likely need to take on race day. The forecast for Healdsburg is 91 for Sunday!

I tried taking some Hammer Sustained Energy on a run Tuesday. It was okay during my run but a couple hours later my stomach started doing funny things. Soooo, it looks like I'll just stick with gels/salt tabs/water/gatorade.
2010-07-15 10:36 AM
in reply to: #2982675

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Meulen - 2010-07-15 8:14 AM I think my wife is going to sign up and do the sprint this weekend while I'm doin g the Oly in Hudson!!!

I wish my lady would get into running or tris. It would give us so much more time together! She has no interest is doing these things.
2010-07-15 10:39 AM
in reply to: #2982565

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
brick94513 - 2010-07-15 7:45 AM

LOL!  I might consider it if I didn't have to race the following weekend.  As much as I love trail running, I'm sure I'd love riding off road as well.  I dont think I could even do 8 hours on my TT bike right meow.  Speaking of, I'm going to get another fitting, hopefully this weekend.  I'm all facked up on the bike right now.
2010-07-15 10:43 AM
in reply to: #2982748

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
dhopman - 2010-07-15 8:34 AM

Oh I know - it is really making me nervous about the run since I haven't done a great job of training with all the nutrition I'll likely need to take on race day. The forecast for Healdsburg is 91 for Sunday!

I tried taking some Hammer Sustained Energy on a run Tuesday. It was okay during my run but a couple hours later my stomach started doing funny things. Soooo, it looks like I'll just stick with gels/salt tabs/water/gatorade.

Only 91?  That's a COOL day here: Laughing  Can't change anything now, might as well not get yourself worried about it, just remember to have FUN out there, even if the conditions aren't optimal.  There are plenty of people who will never even toe the line of a triathlon.  We should remember how fortunate we are to be able to do so!

2010-07-15 11:08 AM

User image

Expert
I was all ready to register for the Marin County Tri (it's an Olympic length), which is close to me and on roads I'm on quite a bit.  Thought that would be fun to do the local tri.  When I went to register I found out it is $250!?!  WTF, does that seem totally out of line to anyone else?  I mean, I know things are more expensive here, but geez...  Anyway, it's off the race schedule now...

I'm now thinking about doing a 50 mile mtb race in the end of October.  Do you think 3 months would be enough to get ready for a 50 mile (figure 5 hours) bike race?  What sort of weekly bike mileage, and how long of a long ride would I want to be doing on a weekly basis to pull that off? 
2010-07-15 12:39 PM
in reply to: #2982853

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Hm, that sounds like HIM price range!  Are you sure it's not a charity event and part of the registration cost goes to an organization?  I was going to do an event in La Jolla like that, then I saw the $500 price at registration and decided against it.  If Tim can ride for 24 hours, I'm sure you can do 50 miles.  I'm sure he will have some good guidance for you whenever he gets on here again.
2010-07-15 12:41 PM
in reply to: #2982756

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
dhopman - 2010-07-15 8:36 AM

I wish my lady would get into running or tris. It would give us so much more time together! She has no interest is doing these things.

My wife and I run together when we get the chance.  Definitely makes it more fun to train w/ your SO.  Maybe you can bribe her w/ some spa treatment or something if she does a race with you! :D
2010-07-15 4:23 PM
in reply to: #2982748

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
dhopman - 2010-07-15 8:34 AM

OK!  Time for a deep breath here.  91 is not that hot.  I know you've been out in hotter weather than that being from San Jose.  Since you don't really have time to experiment with different fuels at this point, stick with what you know.  The most important thing will be hydration.  With the heat, I would try for the upper end of the hydration table and shoot for 24 ounces per hour on the bike.  I wouldn't try to consume more than this though.  Beyond this point, even in the heat, you could create hyponatremia, additional electrolyte imbalances, and even bloating.  If you have used HEED in the past, I would recommend HEED over Gatorade (complex versus simple sugars)!  Also, some Gel toward the end of the ride could be beneficial going into the run since you are not using protein.

As for the run, are you going self supported or relying on aid stations?  I prefer to be self supported then take water from the aid stations to dump on my head.

Relax and good luck.
2010-07-15 4:32 PM
in reply to: #2982853

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
norcal_SAHD - 2010-07-15 9:08 AM When I went to register I found out it is $250!?!  WTF, does that seem totally out of line to anyone else?

Thats high to me too.  Another reason for me not doing the Metro Triathlon this weekend was it was going to be $150 since I didn't pre-register.

I'm now thinking about doing a 50 mile mtb race in the end of October.  Do you think 3 months would be enough to get ready for a 50 mile (figure 5 hours) bike race?  What sort of weekly bike mileage, and how long of a long ride would I want to be doing on a weekly basis to pull that off? 

Dave you are looking at roughly 100-125 miles per week for these type of endurance events.  I ride a little under these numbers now since I know I can be comfortable in the saddle for extended periods of time at a lower heart rate.

Are you looking at the TBF 50 or the Knickerbocker 50?  Both are great races, the Knickerbocker definately has more climbing (roughly 1,000ft versus 5,500ft).  As I'm sure you already know, the TBF course at Folsom is a flat and fast four loops on a variation of their tri course.  For your first endurance MTB race, this would be a "can do" course for you.

2010-07-15 4:38 PM
in reply to: #2982675

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Meulen - 2010-07-15 8:14 AM  Theoretically, if I wanted to do some MTB'ing out there and could get it cleared with the boss, is there a place to go that has trails and bike rentals?

Not sure about bike rentals....

I would check into Bootleg Canyon Mountain Bike Trails.  I haven't been there, but heard there is some good riding.  The area is located toward Boulder City from Vegas.

You might be able to find some Garmin routes on www.motionbased.com

Good luck.
2010-07-15 6:21 PM
in reply to: #2983818

User image

Expert
brick94513 - 2010-07-15 2:32 PM
Dave you are looking at roughly 100-125 miles per week for these type of endurance events.  I ride a little under these numbers now since I know I can be comfortable in the saddle for extended periods of time at a lower heart rate.

Are you looking at the TBF 50 or the Knickerbocker 50?  Both are great races, the Knickerbocker definately has more climbing (roughly 1,000ft versus 5,500ft).  As I'm sure you already know, the TBF course at Folsom is a flat and fast four loops on a variation of their tri course.  For your first endurance MTB race, this would be a "can do" course for you.

Thanks Tim.  Wow, that's a lot of miles...  Not sure if I will be able to fit that level of training in.  It's the TBF 50 miler, roughly the same course I did at the Xterra earlier this year, not sure exactly whats different about the course, and whether it will be a little faster, slower, or the same.  Not much elevation, I figure 10mph (which is what I did in the Xterra) would be a good target for me (looking at last years results that would plant me solidly in the very back of the pack...). 

How's this sound for a 'plan'...  if I assume the race will take 5 hours, I'll aim for a long ride of 5 hours two weeks before the race, while having 3 weekly rides at (long ride)/3 which would put me at 10hrs/week biking at the peak.  Working backwards from there to today, I'd be starting this monday with three 50 minute rides, and a 2.5 hour long ride next weekend and increasing bi-weekly as I get closer.

Can you tell I had a bit of a slow day at home today?  Sealed

I'm done swimming until school starts up again this fall, and am going to take it easy on my running for a while, so I think I can at least try to hit these numbers for a while and see how it goes.
2010-07-15 8:06 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Dave, they will stretch the course to to the north and add a section to the south making each loop 12.5 hours. If you put in the training time, I bet you will average more than 10th mph. The course is fast. Last year, I finished just under 4 hours. Unless things change, I'm planning on riding this race again this year.However you decide to train for the race, the two things you want to accomplish is the distance and worst case saddle time about 2 weeks out from the event. So, you will want to have one 50 mile ride and one 5 hour ride.
2010-07-15 9:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Headed to the pool after work this PM for another 1000m non-stop routine.  This time finished with the last 575m free style / no back.  Time was 3:30 / 100m for the entire routine.  While I'm still struggling, it's definitely progress given that at the start of April 25m was a challenge.  10 days until the sprint with the OWS.  Will be shooting for 1000m non-stop free prior to then to give me the confidence to do the 500 yds in the event.  100% confident in the bike / run -- have a practice brick lined up for Saturday AM.

Again, appreciate the help and encouragement.  Tim's pushing on rotation and Brian's suggestion of pushing the distance have been a big help over the last couple of weeks.

Only negative this PM is that I've got a telecon with Asia in 10 minutes and won't be able to watch my son do a 5000m open race at the local track!

Take care

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now! Rss Feed  

of 108