Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 103

2011-06-14 8:26 PM
in reply to: #2776397

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: chichitao's group - FULL!

Sorry your new groups aren't working out as well for you guys.  I've been part of some really good ones and some not so good.  The nice thing is you can keep the good ones going for as long as everyone wants.  And the bad ones you usually only have to put up with it for 3-6mo.  This is just as much y'alls group as it is mine.  I enjoy just being able to bounce ideas off each other and keep each other accountable.

Erica, everyone has thrown out good ideas and like the others, that is pretty amazing you would do that for him.  Have you posted in the classifieds on here??  Although if Ryan is on here he might find out about it, but you might be able to find a used one for a very reasonable price.  Is there a specific one he wants b/c the basic ones start as low as $450 or so with the next step up around $750 new.

I'll keep my eye open for any sales or discounts.

2011-06-15 3:26 PM

User image

Veteran

Erica-Selling stuff on craigslist is great! We just sold our couches and foosball table so we could get new furniture in the basement! 

As far as MG go, the last one I was in went as long as it was supposed to and then stopped. I am so glad that you guys are still around because I WILL be doing a tri next summer. 

2011-06-15 10:32 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey

Hey guys!  Glad to see everyone is doing well. 

Debbie...so exciting you are having another girl!  I love having two boys.  It is so fun to watch them play together and I know it would be totally different if we had a boy and a girl! 

We had a fabulous weekend at the beach.  I was heading out the door to run with Logan on Saturday morning when a nasty storm came through.  With the storm came even more humidity which I never thought would happen because it was already really humid.  So my run was pushed to Sunday.  There is nothing like running and doing a good leg workout by the beach.  There is an old fishing pier that is no longer used for fishing about 3/4 of a mile from our house.  It is about .35 miles to get to the boardwalk at the end of our street and then less than a half mile to get to the pier.  So I ran past the pier, turned around at some point (I don't remember the mileage and I did not upload the run from my garmin) and then ran to the end of the pier.  I did a ton of lunges and squats at the end of the pier right by the ocean.  It can't get any better than that!

We have a busy busy weekend.  I took off of work on Friday with the plans of my mom still taking the boys in the morning so I could get some stuff done around the house but I don't want to leave the boys with her.  She is in bad shape right now.  She is having her better of her two knees scoped on Monday so she can't take her anti-inflammatory meds all week.  So now I am running around like crazy last night, tonight, and tomorrow night trying to get stuff done.  Saturday morning I am running a 5k and the boys are running their first kids fun run.  The run is about an hour away and we don't expect to get home until 1ish.  And then we are having Logan's birthday party at 3 with close family and a few friends at our house.  I am tired just thinking about everything I need to do still!

2011-06-16 12:03 AM
in reply to: #3551666

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

Tonight I opted for a run and watching SYTYCD instead of the Stanley Cup final.  Glad that I did.  Congrats to Boston, they earned it.  Now sadly I sit watching a riot that is not showing my city in a very good light.  These idiots are clearly not hockey fans, but people that are absolute morons that like to incite others to be the same.

2011-06-16 9:57 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

Meggan, the time at the beach/pier sounds like a good time and wish I was close enough to the beach to be able to do stuff like that.  I don't envy your busy-ness this weekend, but glad you were able to get a day off to help.  Good luck and try to stay sane!

Sorry about the Canucks, Sandra.  I really thought they would do it this year.  And I hate all the rioters too.  It happens in just about every town.  It is just a game people!  So what is SYTCHT (or whatever those letters were! :))?

And to cheer you all up, here is my weather for the week...UGH

Edited by chichitao 2011-06-16 10:00 AM
2011-06-16 10:02 AM
in reply to: #3552200

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
chichitao - 2011-06-16 10:57 AM

Meggan, the time at the beach/pier sounds like a good time and wish I was close enough to the beach to be able to do stuff like that.  I don't envy your busy-ness this weekend, but glad you were able to get a day off to help.  Good luck and try to stay sane!

Sorry about the Canucks, Sandra.  I really thought they would do it this year.  And I hate all the rioters too.  It happens in just about every town.  It is just a game people!  So what is SYTCHT (or whatever those letters were! )?

Don't lie, Tim, you watch So You Think You Can Dance. No fooling us

Sandra, crappy game, but Van didn't deserve to win the series at all. Sucks. The rioters are d-bags. Same thing always happens here. The sad thing is, it'd happen win or lose

2011-06-16 10:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC

Question: How much do you guys know about bikes? I am trying to learn more about mine so that I can hopefully do my own maintenance eventually. Basically, if it is anything worse than a flat, I'm in trouble. Do any of you have any suggestions on good books, websites, etc on how to learn???

2011-06-16 10:30 AM
in reply to: #3552229

User image

Expert
South Jersey
LockOut - 2011-06-16 10:04 AM

Question: How much do you guys know about bikes? I am trying to learn more about mine so that I can hopefully do my own maintenance eventually. Basically, if it is anything worse than a flat, I'm in trouble. Do any of you have any suggestions on good books, websites, etc on how to learn???

John and I were just talking about this last weekend.  If I get a flat, I will have to DQ.  I don't even know how to change a flat.  Embarassed

2011-06-16 10:32 AM
in reply to: #3552229

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
LockOut - 2011-06-16 10:04 AM

Ah, so that is what those letters stand for! Tongue out

I have slowly learned more and more over the years about my bike.  Unfortunately I haven't used any books, as I generally just look stuff up on youtube as it comes up.  I have found videos for just about any maintenance question that I have.  The other thing I do is every time my bike goes to the shop, I stick around and ask the guys questions and they let me come around the counter and show me anything I want to know.

I've gotten to the point now were I can deal with any brake issues, do some minor derailleur adjustments, and clean and lube most parts on my bike.  It's also a good sense of accomplishment being able to do all this stuff without taking it to the shop.

2011-06-16 11:21 AM
in reply to: #3552220

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

Regardless of the Canucks loss, they made it to game 7, it wasn't pretty, but they still made it.  In the end Boston played hard and earned that cup.  I wasn't all caught up in cup fever, but it still would have been nice to have won it. 

The riot was one night and because of the electronic age a lot of the people causing destruction will be caught, and hopefully somehow pay for their actions.  The rest of the city and fans are disgusted by the behaviour, still love their hockey team despite the loss and are doing what they can to help clean up the city and identify the hooligans.  I am despising the media, for instigating this mess in the first place and for continually looping the worst bit of footage in one location, in hopes of winning some news award.  Time to focus on the good.

Tim, if you don't watch SYTYCD, you should, it is athletisism at it's best...the pure, solid strength of the dancers is something to behold.

Pete, I have done a couple of workshops on bike repair through my tri club & LBS which taught me basic bike mainenance and both were free and the one at my LBS was also a wine tasting.  I have also seen workshops offered through continuing education at some of the high schools.  Have a look around the community and I'm sure you can find something hands on at minimal to no cost.  There are also some great manuals, you tube video's as Tim said. 

2011-06-16 2:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Hmmmm, how much do I want to play by the rules for my HIM??? Technically, wetsuits are legal, but you don't qualify for Vegas spots if you wear one (not that I'm holding my breathe, but with rolldown, who knows, right?) Do I look into a WTC legal option, or just go with my suit and kick myself if it rolls way down?

2011-06-16 2:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Nevermind... just looked at the rules again, I don't think it'll matter if I wear a wetsuit or not. Water temps should be cold enough.
2011-06-19 8:18 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey

My husband ran his first and most likely last 5k yesterday morning!  I had a tough weight workout Thursday and then did a spin class Friday morning.  I told him at 6:30 yesterday that my body was tired and I was not feeling the race.  I knew by 9:30 when it started I would be good to go though.  He jumped right in and said he would run it.  One of his best friends was also running it so I said ok.  I wanted to prove to him that 3 miles is no easy task.  He always tells me running is easy.  Our good friend ran it right around 24 minutes but John has no clue what his time was yet.  I keep checking for the results.  I hung with my two boys and our friend's son. 

Some quotes from the day...

"You are crazy"  said immediately when he finished.
"You runners are weird" posted on his facebook
"I don't know how Megg ran anothre 23 miles after that first 3."  Said to my father, not me.
And....
"I could not believe when I hit the first 1/2 mile.  I could have sworn I was halfway done."

2011-06-19 3:30 PM
in reply to: #3556232

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

That is awesome Meggan!  Some of the participants in my bootcamp used to get comments like that from their spouses, so I would challenge them to come take a class for free with the results usually being that they couldn't complete the class and being in awe of their wife or husband after.

I'm glad your husband now has a clear understanding of the mental and physical strength that it takes to run like you do! 

2011-06-20 7:20 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR

Happy Monday, MG!  How was everybody's weekend? 

Ours was insane, totally full, but a whole lot of fun!  The wedding was beautiful, and I only ate like 1.5 pieces of cake instead of 3!  But it was totally worth it.  I wasn't too worried about the calories though because we were all on the dance floor the entire night.  Literally.  However, I did weigh myself this morning, and I think I'm retaining water something awful because I'm up like 2.4 pounds, and I KNOW I didn't eat that much this weekend.  I was actually pretty good about my food intake outside of the wedding.  We'll find out next week, I guess!

Also, this is supposed to be my last week in PT, but I doubt it will be.  My knee has still been hurting consistently.  When will this crap go away?  I haven't been able to run since like March!  Ughhhh. 

Meggan - Super cool about the 5k!  My family thinks I'm crazy when I when more than 1.5-2 miles at a time. 

What else is happening today?

2011-06-20 7:30 AM
in reply to: #3557326

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC

I had a bad weekend, too I'm up to 181 again. Damn travelling and eating in the car. I got a bunch of good workouts in, though, so I am happy about that. 

Another big training week for me. Getting my bike tuned up, so I think I'll be doing a run tonight, bike tomorrow, and then start running to work, which will mean 2 4+km runs every day. I'm excited about that! Also, Friday is a holiday here (actually, I have a long weekend for the next 3 weekends), so I'll be getting a lot of training in this coming weekend!

2011-06-20 7:58 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Weekend was great here!  I was off on Friday and took a spin class in the morning.  Then hit the pool with the boys until naptime.  Nothing crazy the rest of the day.  Saturday was the 5k and kids run in the morning and then Logan's birthday party in the afternoon/evening.  We had a great time despite some minor issues with the party.  Sunday I did a brick workout and then just hung out the rest of the day.  I have a busy week with the start of vacation at the end of it now!!
2011-06-20 8:17 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

Lot of good stuff going on this weekend with everyone.  Meggan, glad your husband got a taste of what you can do. 

I too put on a little weight, but yesterday was my cheat day so I think that had something to do with it.  I was 208.2 last Mon and 208.8 this morning.  I had gotten down to 206 during the week so hopefully today was just a little blip on the radar.

2011-06-20 9:25 AM
in reply to: #3557443

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

Must have been something in the air, I too had a bad weekend.  I was craving bad stuff and did indulge a couple of times, but not so badly that I would be up 2.2lbs, so I think that there may be some water retention going on too.  I'll weigh myself again in a couple of days just to be sure I'm back down and on track.

I did my long run on Friday night with a girlfriend, 15KM run that ended at the pub, where we had a couple  of drinks and had someone pick us up and drive us home, it was fun.  Saturday was my first Grouse Grind of the year, it was a somewhat miserable day, but it made the trail up less crowded and we were mostly sheltered from the weather by the trees.  It was odd getting to the top and seeing people dressed in their snow gear and still skiing.  As it turned out that was the last day of skiing on the mountain. 

Sunday I spent standing around in the rain, getting very cold cheering on Ray in his first Triathlon.  I had been suggesting to him for a while that he should do at least one tri, so that he could have the experience before Ironman in August and I think he is now happy that he did as there were some lessons to be learned.  Now I need another weekend to recover from my weekend!

2011-06-21 11:29 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Wife and I forced each other out of bed this morning and were running by 510am.  Holy crap that was early and by far the earliest I had ever ran in my life.  Nice to be done with it but not sure it is something I could do regularly.  I did get to finally wear a head lamp I had bought months ago.
2011-06-21 11:56 AM
in reply to: #3560018

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

Good for you Tim! 

2011-06-21 8:06 PM

User image

Veteran

We had a super busy weekend, but fun. I weigh myself on Wed. and only every other week. I have a dr. appt. tomorrow. I got out pics from when I was pregnant before and wow am I carrying this one totally different! It is amazing!

Meggan-That is awesome about the 5k! I love when people realize what hard work it actually is!

2011-06-22 8:59 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR

So, weighed myself again this morning, and I was right about the water retention.  I'm right at 159 again!  We're going to my cousin's graduation party on Sunday, so my goal is NOT to go overboard on good food.

Went to PT on Monday, and I think even my PT is confused with how to fix me.  He basically thinks I should be done by now, and doesn't know why I'm not.  He's thinking there might be some rotational issue, too, so he gave me more stretches and nixed some others.  I'm getting JUST a bit frustrated, ya know?  It pretty much hurts now when I do anything, even swimming and biking (hence why my logs are totally empty).  I hate sitting around, doing nothing.  So boring.  And it's tough to lose weight when workouts are taken totally out of the mix.

On a bright note, Southwest has some awesome deals flying out to Portland, so Ryan booked his flights to come see me already!  Anybody else want to visit?

Tim, great early morning run!  You'll learn to love 'em!

2011-06-22 7:09 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Saturday is my first of three sprint tris over the next 6 weeks!
2011-06-23 7:51 AM
in reply to: #3562859

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Fun!  How do you feel?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » chichitao's group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 103