BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 115

2012-06-11 1:00 PM
in reply to: #3257002

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Gary's Mentor Group - Closed for Training
RR done. Feeling OK today. Easy run tommorrow.

2012-06-11 7:54 PM
in reply to: #4255679

User image

Expert
Hammond
leftrunner - 2012-06-11 1:00 PM

RR done. Feeling OK today. Easy run tommorrow.

Read the race report- great job! I think you did awesome for a HIM. And heat and hills to boot.
Sounds to me like you gave it your all and I think you did spectacular.

Shelly

Edited by fitmomma2010 2012-06-11 8:05 PM
2012-06-11 8:04 PM
in reply to: #4253962

User image

Expert
Hammond
Dorm57 - 2012-06-10 12:14 PM

Got on the bike early yesterday and rode 28.5 miles.  I decided to ride with a new pair of 2xU Tri-shorts instead of the usual bike shorts ... big mistake.  At about mile 20 that little 'patch' area (yeah ... you know the spot) was burning like fire and no amount of standing would bring relief.  I was fully prepared to go for 35 miles or so, but it was just not happening.

Regardless, I was disappointed with the avg speed ... 14.4 is turtle pacing.  However, once I looked at the changes in elevation, I understood.  Total of ~4,500 ft in elevation changes and the up-down elevation change profile looks worse than an EKG chart; i.e. hardly any flat at all. From that perspective - not too bad of a ride. 

Working to taper down a bit this week, but the race Saturday is just sprint distance so overall I'm ready.

Hate it when new shorts do that. Ouch.

I'm jealous though that you have elevation to train on- lol. We are having the hardest time doing any type of hill training. There's just not much near our home that would remotely qualify as a hill unless you want to chance your life and ride over the interstate overpasses. That's not for me.
Sounds like you managed a decent workout though despite the shorts issues.

Good luck Saturday!

Shelly
2012-06-11 8:25 PM

User image

Expert
Hammond
So finally got my first wetsuit. I am so excited to actually own one and I really like it. It was a pretty funny sight trying to get it on in the store to try it on. The sales guy helping me swears it'll be slightly easier with body glide. We'll see if he's right- hehe.

I got an awesome deal and now I just can't wait to try it out in the water. I don't even have a race scheduled that I need one, but I feel like a kid in a candy store now that I have one- lol.

Sounds like everyone's training is going very well.

Good luck to all this weekend's racers. I wish I were racing too. We (dh and I) were supposed to race this past Saturday but had our first DNS. I was pretty bummed but now just want to get another race on the books.

Gotta put all this s/b/r ing to use somewhere. I do have another race scheduled for August but really want to do one sooner.

Time to start looking- course with the heat- that may be crazy- hehe.

Shelly
2012-06-11 9:11 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Shelly - on the wetsuit, put it in the bathtub and let it soak for a few hours.  Makes a big difference when putting it on, body glide or Pam also helps.  As for races:  Tri New Roads is this weekend!  400m swim but probably won't be wetsuit legal.  10 mile ride and 2 mile run.  Unless weather freaks out the next wetsuit legal would probably be Big Cajun Oly in Oct.
2012-06-11 10:24 PM
in reply to: #4256749

User image

Expert
Hammond
GaryRM - 2012-06-11 9:11 PM

Shelly - on the wetsuit, put it in the bathtub and let it soak for a few hours.  Makes a big difference when putting it on, body glide or Pam also helps.  As for races:  Tri New Roads is this weekend!  400m swim but probably won't be wetsuit legal.  10 mile ride and 2 mile run.  Unless weather freaks out the next wetsuit legal would probably be Big Cajun Oly in Oct.

I really wanted to do Tri New Roads but unfortunately I have to work Saturday. Dh and I are looking at the Big Easy Sprint in New Orleans on June 24, it is with the 5150. I'm just worried the heat may kill us- lol.

Of course it can't be much worse than the one I'm doing in Shreveport in AUGUST- yes August. Was I crazy or what? I let a friend talk me into that one. WHAT was I thinking- lol.

Do you soak the wetsuit every time you are going to wear it? Like the night before? I just can't wait to try it out. But really for me I mostly wanted it to be able to do the OWS clinics. I will most likely not get tons of race use out of it because I pretty much race close to home and the water is usually warm. Can't say I won't ever need it for a race but not highly likely.

Shelly

2012-06-12 6:24 PM
in reply to: #4256624

User image

New user

fitmomma2010 - 2012-06-11 6:04 PM
Dorm57 - 2012-06-10 12:14 PM

Got on the bike early yesterday and rode 28.5 miles.  I decided to ride with a new pair of 2xU Tri-shorts instead of the usual bike shorts ... big mistake.  At about mile 20 that little 'patch' area (yeah ... you know the spot) was burning like fire and no amount of standing would bring relief.  I was fully prepared to go for 35 miles or so, but it was just not happening.

Regardless, I was disappointed with the avg speed ... 14.4 is turtle pacing.  However, once I looked at the changes in elevation, I understood.  Total of ~4,500 ft in elevation changes and the up-down elevation change profile looks worse than an EKG chart; i.e. hardly any flat at all. From that perspective - not too bad of a ride. 

Working to taper down a bit this week, but the race Saturday is just sprint distance so overall I'm ready.

Hate it when new shorts do that. Ouch. I'm jealous though that you have elevation to train on- lol. We are having the hardest time doing any type of hill training. There's just not much near our home that would remotely qualify as a hill unless you want to chance your life and ride over the interstate overpasses. That's not for me. Sounds like you managed a decent workout though despite the shorts issues. Good luck Saturday! Shelly

Shelly, That is funny that you are jealous of us who have so much elevation to train on.  There are times when I would love to go out and do 50 miles on the bike on nice flat terrain.  I cant even get out of my driveway without standing up and cranking.  Add all of the rain and only one day over 75 degrees so far this year and Seattle is a tough place to be a bicyclist.

Scotty

2012-06-12 7:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
Gary, is there an advantage to wearing a tri-top from the start during the swim?  Does this add drag or is it better to slip one on during T1 in lieu of swimming with a top?  Does it matter either way?
2012-06-12 8:53 PM
in reply to: #4258612

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Dorm57 - 2012-06-12 7:33 PM Gary, is there an advantage to wearing a tri-top from the start during the swim?  Does this add drag or is it better to slip one on during T1 in lieu of swimming with a top?  Does it matter either way?

Wear the top during the swim, what little drag it will add is minimal.  Putting a tri top on a wet body can lose you more time than the top adds in the water.

2012-06-12 8:56 PM
in reply to: #4256865

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

fitmomma2010 - 2012-06-11 10:24 PM  Do you soak the wetsuit every time you are going to wear it? Like the night before?

Basically if my wetsuit has been stored for more than a week I will soak it the night before.  This was a tip I picked up from a mentor group I was in and has worked for me. 

2012-06-13 8:17 AM

Hi everyone,
My second chile was born 2 weeks ago. It is a boy, named him Andrey after his gandfather.
Could not stick to my plan for the past 1,5 weeks because of that but i hope this will not have a significant impact on my firts sprint results.
Whish everyone a good race and training time.

2012-06-13 9:14 AM
in reply to: #4259144

User image

Expert
Hammond
Gregorysharkov - 2012-06-13 8:17 AM

Hi everyone,
My second chile was born 2 weeks ago. It is a boy, named him Andrey after his gandfather.
Could not stick to my plan for the past 1,5 weeks because of that but i hope this will not have a significant impact on my firts sprint results.
Whish everyone a good race and training time.

Congratulations on the new baby! What a wonderful reason to miss workouts. And even if it does make you a tad slower in your first sprint- what an awesome trade off. Enjoy that new baby- he'll only be a baby for the blink of an eye. Tri's will be around for as long as you want to do them.

Shelly
2012-06-13 1:49 PM

User image

Regular
Kansas City

Congrats Gregory!  That is awesome news.

Few days out from Tri #2.  Another sprint.  I'm in better shape on the bike and run, but about the same in the water.  This Tri is noticeably shorter than the last (500yd/9mi/2.4mi) so I'm going to try and go full throttle on the bike and hang on for the run.  Shooting for under an hour.  Optimistic I know, but let's just do it.

2012-06-13 9:39 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Hey all!
Same as Chris with only a couple of days out from my next race.  Wow, three of us racing this weekend, lots of RR's coming!  Took the bike out for a ride to double check the setup and had a great ride.  Run tomorrow and swim/ride Friday.

Chris - Wow, my race is a tad bit shorter (400m/10mi/2 mi) and I was shooting for under an hour which is a bit aggressive for me.  Good luck!

Gregory - Congrats!!! Like Shelly said, enjoy it!

Dorm - good luck this weekend also!

2012-06-14 12:40 AM

User image

Regular
Kansas City
I'm very naive Gary.
2012-06-14 8:12 PM
in reply to: #4260915

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

ccoffin - 2012-06-14 12:40 AM I'm very naive Gary.

or just faster than me!

Packet pickup is tomorrow and race is Saturday.  They sent out the typical pre-race info email.  They did the typical wetsuit legal if below 78 but also add "don't expect it to be wetsuit legal".  Will still bring mine but will also bring my swimskin, I will take every bit of help I can get.  Forecast is for a high of 89 with 40% chance of rain.  Race is at 7:30, my wave starts at 7:32 hoping to be done by 8:32 ish so temps shouldn't be bad.  I have pre-assigned rack (I signed up for the race series) so will plan on getting there closer to 7am, extra sleep is always nice.  Going out for a run, last workout and tomorrow is SRD.  Yeah for racing!

2012-06-14 9:55 PM

User image

Expert

Gregory-Congratulations!! You will be fine in your first sprint.  Just make Andrey proud!

Chris- Good luck on the 2nd race.  I always set 3 goals.  1st is my slowest where I will OK if I break it.  2nd is my middle time where I will have to have a very good day and do everything right. 3rd is my pie in the sky where I will need a significant current in the water and a killer tailwind.

For my HIM my goals were 6 hours, 5:45 and 5:30.  I ended up at 5:51 which was OK given the heat.  If I had only set 5:45 as my goal, I think I would have been disappointed with my finish.

Getting my legs back.  They haven't felt too bad.  The heat and dehydration were my main limiters, not my legs, so I think the muscle recovery was less than for my last one.  I had to travel for a funeral Monday and Tuesday, but got in a 20min run Tuesday and 25min today.  Thinking about a local 5k Saturday and going for under 19:59, but maybe too soon.  We'll see.

2012-06-15 6:00 AM
in reply to: #4260778

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
GaryRM - 2012-06-13 10:39 PM

Hey all!
Same as Chris with only a couple of days out from my next race.  Wow, three of us racing this weekend, lots of RR's coming!  Took the bike out for a ride to double check the setup and had a great ride.  Run tomorrow and swim/ride Friday.

Chris - Wow, my race is a tad bit shorter (400m/10mi/2 mi) and I was shooting for under an hour which is a bit aggressive for me.  Good luck!

Same here from me gents ... go fast, stay strong and finish strong!! 

I think distances for me are: 250m, ~14 miles and 5k run.  I will not be finishing in under an hour

With the daughter and SIL racing we're slotted way in the back and will sort of regroup at transition to at least go out together.  Need to do final checks and some adjustment (rear derailleur is killing me) to the bike and will get in an easy 10m or so ride early evening, but other than that I'm ready to go.

2012-06-15 10:46 AM

User image

Keller
Dorm, Gary, and to everybody racing---good luck. Can't wait to see your RR. Finish strong--it's really motivational to the newbie (me).

Gregory- congrats!!

A few of you have given me a small point of inspiration. I am going to sit down this weekend and hammer out my personal goals that I want to reach before race day. It might help push my training results a little. For those that have done this: thoughts, suggestions, opinions.

Oh yeah. Signed up for a sprint & olympic next month. No real goals attached --- want to use them as practice and strategy sessions for the longhorn.
2012-06-15 12:27 PM
in reply to: #4259916

User image

Expert
Hammond
ccoffin - 2012-06-13 1:49 PM

Congrats Gregory!  That is awesome news.

Few days out from Tri #2.  Another sprint.  I'm in better shape on the bike and run, but about the same in the water.  This Tri is noticeably shorter than the last (500yd/9mi/2.4mi) so I'm going to try and go full throttle on the bike and hang on for the run.  Shooting for under an hour.  Optimistic I know, but let's just do it.

Good luck this weekend! I'm sending speed vibes your way ;-).

Let us know how it goes,

Shelly

2012-06-15 12:31 PM
in reply to: #4262855

User image

Expert
Hammond
Dorm57 - 2012-06-15 6:00 AM

GaryRM - 2012-06-13 10:39 PM

Hey all!

Same here from me gents ... go fast, stay strong and finish strong!! 

I think distances for me are: 250m, ~14 miles and 5k run.  I will not be finishing in under an hour

With the daughter and SIL racing we're slotted way in the back and will sort of regroup at transition to at least go out together.  Need to do final checks and some adjustment (rear derailleur is killing me) to the bike and will get in an easy 10m or so ride early evening, but other than that I'm ready to go.

Good luck Dorm. That's awesome that your dd and sil are racing with you. I can't wait until the day that I can do a race with one of my children- hopefully that happens- hehe. I've begged sister, both sil's, aunts, cousins, friends, etc. I can't get anyone else to join me in this crazy sport as of yet. My 20 yo dd wants to though and my 9 yo dd has already done three kids tris, so there's hope on the horizon. I've got a couple nieces interested too so we'll see.

Sending speed vibes your way also,

Shelly

2012-06-15 1:54 PM

User image

Regular
Kansas City

Thanks Shelly.

And good luck to Dorm and Gary.  Go Get 'Em!

Left,  I usually do set a few goals, and I had two separate ones for my first tri.  This one happens to be quite a bit shorter (and much hillier from what I hear), and it was free.  While I worked hard in the first tri, when all was said and done I thought I could have given more on the bike and a lot more on the run.  I did some calculations based on last race and recent training and guestimated I should be able to complete this race around 1:07 - 1:09 if nothing unplanned happened.

I want to see what my body can actually do when pushed.  I want it to be humbled.  I want to know specifically where I need to get better mentally and physically.  Can I maintain 7 min/mile run at mile 2 when I'm tired and want to slow down?  Will I try to push 20mph when my body just wants to coast a bit?  Since there was no fee with this tri and I haven't had the pleasure of destroying my body yet, I figured this is the time to do it.  My next tri is scheduled for August.  Plenty of time to recover and tweak training.  This is why I want under an hour.  Not because I may get it, but because I know trying to get it will actually give me the stats I'm looking for.  Realistic goals with give me a side door when it gets too tough.

2012-06-15 2:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Sparta
Did an OWS on south beach then a run to the transition area. Also jogged a mile barefoot in the sand. Water was very warm and gentle today, no fear of the race in April next year, looks like the bike wil be the toughest event back and forth over 2 causeways.Good luck to all racers this weekend, back to reality for me on Sunday, looking forward to a ride!

Edited by dwpiggott 2012-06-15 2:28 PM
2012-06-15 2:31 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Hey all!
Picked up race packet, turns out the race is 400m/12 miles/2 mile not the 10 mile bike ride I thought.   Chris, good point.  i think I take the approach someone else mentioned of multiple goals.  The first being the stars align and I can hold max output for that distance, then a couple of lesser goals with the bottom being beating previous times.  I have a history of beating myself up too much when I am not happy with a result.  Different strokes. 

Either way with the change in distance 1 hr is out for me.  I am shooting for around an 8mm run pace and with my expected swim/ride time I would hit one hour if no transition time.  If I do break 1 hour it will be celebration time.  1:03 is my all out effort time with 1:08 being more realistic.

Tomorrow will be fun! 

2012-06-16 12:07 AM
in reply to: #4263916

User image

Expert
Hammond
GaryRM - 2012-06-15 2:31 PM

Hey all!
Picked up race packet, turns out the race is 400m/12 miles/2 mile not the 10 mile bike ride I thought.   Chris, good point.  i think I take the approach someone else mentioned of multiple goals.  The first being the stars align and I can hold max output for that distance, then a couple of lesser goals with the bottom being beating previous times.  I have a history of beating myself up too much when I am not happy with a result.  Different strokes. 

Either way with the change in distance 1 hr is out for me.  I am shooting for around an 8mm run pace and with my expected swim/ride time I would hit one hour if no transition time.  If I do break 1 hour it will be celebration time.  1:03 is my all out effort time with 1:08 being more realistic.

Tomorrow will be fun! 

Good Luck Gary!
Can't wait to read RR. I'm going to send 1 hour speed vibes your way. Wish I were racing with you.
Shelly
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  

of 115