BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-10-17 8:22 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Originally posted by WoodrowCall

Thanks for the input, Suzy and Jason!

I feel the same as you, Suzy, in that running is my favorite of the three tri-sports. As far as which is more important to me, IMChoo would still be my A-race without a doubt, but I definitely train a lot better with a race in mind. So, I figured that training for a marathon wouldn't hurt me over the off season, even if it didn't particularly help me. I think I can switch gears to IM come Spring without much problem; I was able to train for IM Louisville for 9 months, and I never felt that burnt out. It helps that I can be totally selfish with my time.

Jason-I'm pretty comfortable with eventual 50+ mile weeks; I topped out around 190 over the summer, and that was with 5-7 hour weekend bike sessions. To me, running is also the one sport out of the 3 that I find easiest to motivate myself for. I can get up early and run without much problem, but riding the trainer for hours, or going to the pool in the dark always seem to suck!

Thanks for the input; those little crazy-gears in my head are definitely turning pretty good.

DO IT!!

:D

Gotta love the enablers in this world.

Yep, you've got to love the positive energy!

2013-10-17 8:26 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
I'm looking around, and it seems like everyone in the world has a marathon plan...anyone have any personal recommendations?
2013-10-18 5:27 AM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

I'm looking around, and it seems like everyone in the world has a marathon plan...anyone have any personal recommendations?

my husband like the Pete Pfitzinger plans but they look really aggressive to me.
2013-10-18 7:59 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

I used one of the Runners World plans for two of my marathons and I was very happy with them.

http://www.runnersworld.com/training/marathon-training-plans

I think I used the intermediate plan for my first marathon and a combo of the intermediate and a RW custom plan for the second. Give them a look and see what you think.

ETA--I just looked at the plans and they all seem to cost $. When I used them in the past they were free. Bummer.

Edited by wannabefaster 2013-10-18 8:02 AM
2013-10-18 8:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Thanks for the suggestions. So far, I'm actually liking the Intermediate plan on the Boston Marathon website: http://www.baa.org/programs/training-programs/marathon-training/int...

It's definitely for someone running the Boston Marathon, but I figure I can use the 16-week program to train for the marathon in March. It also fits in well with my existing training schedule, with Mondays off.
2013-10-18 10:19 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by WoodrowCall Ok gang, before we all break up, I need one more piece of advice. I'm on the cusp of a terrible/great idea, inspired by the Bucket List...I need some input on training to Boston-qualify next year I've researched a few races, and there is a popular BQ race in Georgia on March 1st, which would be just enough time for a 16-week training plan...but what does everyone think about doing this during the off season? My thoughts are that this would be my chance to focus more on running, since I don't need to follow a tri-specific workout plan over the Winter months. However, I also don't want to risk injury, as I've already set up my A-race next year with IM Chattanooga. So, am I just crazy, or what? Don't hold back, give me some candid advice! P.S., I have a tendency to be like this. An idea hatches in my brain, and then I get a little focused/obsessed with it. It's how the first IM happened!
I think that it is an awesome idea. I think you will have to have an obviously run focused off-season and if you are using a run plan for a marathon it will have to be modified to allow some cycling. If I were doing this I would make all of my cycling short and super intense. Three one hour sessions (more or less) per week and 5-6 runs/week. Days that you do the bike workouts will be "easy" or recovery run days. You may have to adjust the plan so you aren't really hurting yourself the day before a key run so you will have to identify each week's key run(s) and plan accordingly. If it were me, I would be training seven days a week but the seventh day would be super easy running miles or swimming but I think it is imperative that you be running as much as possible. I used a Runners World, free, online plan for my two best marathons and would gladly use it again. There is no substitute for running mileage. Biking will help build your aerobic fitness but you will need to run! I personally don't think you need to be running 70-80- miles per week to BQ if you are bike training too, but you will need a few weeks of 50+ miles (IMO) to run as hard as you will need to for 26.2 miles. Suzy has BQd several times. Any input on this? (too late--I see she has already chimed in )

I do have a couple of thoughts on the above.  First, I agree that the bike workouts I did during marathon training were short, but very intense.  Given I live in the land of snow all of those intense workouts were on the CT and some sort of intervals, including HIITS.  I believe that this actually helped my running.  Second, I don't necessarily agree you need to run as much mileage as possible.  When I was just a runner, I logged upwards of 70m/week and did two marathons per year.  When I trained for Oakland ( hadn't done a marathon since '09), my weekly mileage was around 35-40 with two peak weeks of 60m.    Other than during recovery weeks, I did a long run every week with 10m+ of MP work.  Also included a fair amount of hill work.  Neither is easy in the dead of winter in WI, but I loved it.  I think that we are multisports athletes the B and the S (ha!) help the run.  At least it seems so for me.

I'm totally stoked to start training for an April marathon.  It's nice to work on something you really like and see tangible results!

2013-10-18 10:24 AM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Champion

New topic!  Swimming!!!  Who has used a tempo trainer before?  results?

One of the things that I've been told to work on repeatedly by my coach is turn over.  I've drilled myself to death on technique, made some reasonable progress, but am still like a sleepy turtle in the pool.  I invested in a Finis tempo trainer and took it for a spin today just to see where my stroke rate is and compare it to where my coach wants my stroke rate to be.  Holy Cow.  Big difference between the two--currently sitting at around 56 and need to get it to between 70-80.  The good news is I liked using the little metronome.  Gave me something to focus on other than the seven things I feel I am doing wrong!  

2013-10-18 5:02 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Funny you should ask about the tempo trainer.

Like you, I have an exceedingly slow stroke rate and I have been told by more than one person that my plodding stroke is holding me back. I have used the tempo trainer off and on for the last 18 months. I have a very hard time with shortness of breath when I increase my arm turnover so I seem to always default to my slower stroke when not using the tempo trainer.

After IM Tahoe I decided that something was going to have to be done to improve my swim. I am stuck. In my swimming since Tahoe I have been pushing tempo/arm turnover. I decided to bite the bullet and force myself to up the tempo no matter how short of breath I felt. I let my form slip a little bit with the thought that once I get more comfortable with the higher pace I can add the form work back in.

Well, this morning I had a little breakthrough. I did 10 x 100 on 2:00 (so lots of rest) and eight of the ten were under 1:20. That is crazy fast for me. In the past I have struggled to be under 1:30 for that kind of set. Very interesting.

The other thing I am doing is making sure that I am pushing every set. I want to finish my swim workouts out of breath the way I am after I finish an interval running session. No more plodding along and being happy with 3,200 yards in an hour.
2013-10-18 8:18 PM

User image

New user
Hey guys, I just read through and caught up! More great racing and fun to read the lofty goals!

I also wanted to thank everyone for the support, guidance and encouragement! I have really enjoyed being a part of this group.

My season has taken an unexpected bump. I was in a car wreck last Thursday, single car, by myself. I had just finished a run and was pretty empty, also had just started a new BP med a couple days prior. I don't know what caused the wreck and don't remember it. I was unconscious for a while and taken to the regional trauma ER in my area. After negative CT scans I went home. I am bruised up on the outside but mentally foggy on the cognitive side. I am seeing my internist Monday for further evaluation. It has been a very disturbing and unusual week.
I am however grateful as I know things could have been far graver.

(On a lighter silly note they cut my NEW $70 sports bra off in the ER). I mean really!!

2013-10-18 9:53 PM
in reply to: Chunga

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by Chunga Hey guys, I just read through and caught up! More great racing and fun to read the lofty goals! I also wanted to thank everyone for the support, guidance and encouragement! I have really enjoyed being a part of this group. My season has taken an unexpected bump. I was in a car wreck last Thursday, single car, by myself. I had just finished a run and was pretty empty, also had just started a new BP med a couple days prior. I don't know what caused the wreck and don't remember it. I was unconscious for a while and taken to the regional trauma ER in my area. After negative CT scans I went home. I am bruised up on the outside but mentally foggy on the cognitive side. I am seeing my internist Monday for further evaluation. It has been a very disturbing and unusual week. I am however grateful as I know things could have been far graver. (On a lighter silly note they cut my NEW $70 sports bra off in the ER). I mean really!!

Mary-glad you are "OK". Take plenty of time to get better...don't push yourself to workout too soon. Hope you will get a good report from the doctor.

I have a tempo trainer and my experience is exactly like Jason's. I have not used it in several months but think I will get it out and experiment a bit.

Jamie-Can't offer much help with the marathon...have not done one.

Just got back to the in laws after a day in Tuscaloosa visiting with our son, touring the athletic facilities and watching him race. He had a solid race as Bama's third finisher running 25:48 for a little over 8K/5 miles. Back home tomorrow for a run and bike on Sunday. 

2013-10-18 10:06 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Nancy-

Scary!

Glad that there is no major injury. Sorry you are having to go through this.

Get well soon.

2013-10-19 5:38 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by Chunga

Hey guys, I just read through and caught up! More great racing and fun to read the lofty goals!

I also wanted to thank everyone for the support, guidance and encouragement! I have really enjoyed being a part of this group.

My season has taken an unexpected bump. I was in a car wreck last Thursday, single car, by myself. I had just finished a run and was pretty empty, also had just started a new BP med a couple days prior. I don't know what caused the wreck and don't remember it. I was unconscious for a while and taken to the regional trauma ER in my area. After negative CT scans I went home. I am bruised up on the outside but mentally foggy on the cognitive side. I am seeing my internist Monday for further evaluation. It has been a very disturbing and unusual week.

(On a lighter silly note they cut my NEW $70 sports bra off in the ER). I mean really!!

Oh ma that sucks. Heal up!!
Of course you had to be wearing the NEW sports bra that day!!
2013-10-19 6:44 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

Nancy-

Scary!

Glad that there is no major injury. Sorry you are having to go through this.

Get well soon.

Nancy. Mary. Sorry about that
2013-10-19 8:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

So sorry to hear about the wreck...and the accompanying fogginess! I hope the doctor can clear things up; situations like that can put "sport" in perspective. Heal well!
2013-10-19 11:43 AM

User image

Champion

Please take care of yourself!!!  Very scary.

I did an impromptu10K today to kick off the Fall running season and to see where I stood after three weeks off post IM. I turned on my GPS, never looked at it and went as hard as I could.   I won!  Gotta love smaller races.  I took a 22 year old female 2 miles in and then 3 guys the final mile.  Puked at the end so I know I gave it all I had at this point.   Here's to more racing soon!

Edited by SSMinnow 2013-10-19 2:19 PM
2013-10-19 12:58 PM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Mary...SO happy to hear you came out the other end of that relatively unscathed. Please do follow up with your doctor, make sure the blood pressure is good, etc.

Finally got back in the saddle (literally) today for a 50 miler. My gal pal, Julie, is finally entering taper madness for IM Florida and needed a riding buddy for her 50/6 brick. I did the 50, NOT the 6.

Regarding training plans...I used the Beginner 2 plan on Hal Higdon's site with a bit of tweaking, and it certainly got the job done (and I only ran 4 days/week). He also has one that one of my tri friends used to train for a 50K run while still doing a considerably amount of cycling. You might take a peek there to see what the different plans entail (he's got a Boston Bound one, Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, Personal Best, Senior, etc).

2013-10-20 11:28 AM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by wannabefaster Funny you should ask about the tempo trainer. Like you, I have an exceedingly slow stroke rate and I have been told by more than one person that my plodding stroke is holding me back. I have used the tempo trainer off and on for the last 18 months. I have a very hard time with shortness of breath when I increase my arm turnover so I seem to always default to my slower stroke when not using the tempo trainer. After IM Tahoe I decided that something was going to have to be done to improve my swim. I am stuck. In my swimming since Tahoe I have been pushing tempo/arm turnover. I decided to bite the bullet and force myself to up the tempo no matter how short of breath I felt. I let my form slip a little bit with the thought that once I get more comfortable with the higher pace I can add the form work back in. Well, this morning I had a little breakthrough. I did 10 x 100 on 2:00 (so lots of rest) and eight of the ten were under 1:20. That is crazy fast for me. In the past I have struggled to be under 1:30 for that kind of set. Very interesting. The other thing I am doing is making sure that I am pushing every set. I want to finish my swim workouts out of breath the way I am after I finish an interval running session. No more plodding along and being happy with 3,200 yards in an hour.

I like it!  Two things that resonate, 1) form might slip a bit and 2) pushing every set.  For some reason, I can totally destroy myself accomplishing running or biking workouts, but I never seem to when it comes to swimming.  Part of it definitely has to do with worrying about form and I think the other is I don't like to be short of breathe in the H20.  Time to rethink both!  Thanks Jason.

2013-10-20 12:26 PM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina

I absolutely feel your pain on this one. I used to ride 3-day event horses competitively, and I crashed and burned at a competition in Kentucky and was airlifted out. My mom saw someone leading my horse back to the barn and she asked about the rider. Their response was, "It didn't look good." Gee...thanks for that bit of information from someone that hadn't even seen me after the fall (I was coherant, I told them my arm hurt, I knew my name, where I lived, and also asked them to call my mom).

Alas, I broke my collarbone. That was it!!

And, they also took some big (and very sharp) scissors and cut my 6 month old custom fit leather riding boots (to the tune of $500) right down the front instead of slicing out the stitching in the back seams!!!

2013-10-20 5:08 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Mary another vote for glad you are OK. New meds can be tricky so stay on top of that.

I managed to do a 5k today, on crutches, for the American Diabetes Assn. The hip is a little sore but my arms are where I am really feeling it. Tomorrow I see my surgeon to schedule my hip replacement surgery. As much as I am not looking forward to another surgery I can't live on crutches the rest of my life. Really looking forward to getting this all behind me and back to training.

In looking at all the things I missed, glad to see so much progress by the group. Just more motivation for me to join the world of the active again.

Everybody take care out there and be well.
2013-10-20 6:33 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Master
South Alabama

Stuart-great effort to do the race! Keep us updated on how things go with the hip surgery. Always nice to have you check in .

Finally got around to putting together my race report from last weekend:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=503492&posts=1#M4880867

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

2013-10-21 6:56 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by Stuartap

Mary another vote for glad you are OK. New meds can be tricky so stay on top of that.

I managed to do a 5k today, on crutches, for the American Diabetes Assn. The hip is a little sore but my arms are where I am really feeling it. Tomorrow I see my surgeon to schedule my hip replacement surgery. As much as I am not looking forward to another surgery I can't live on crutches the rest of my life. Really looking forward to getting this all behind me and back to training.

In looking at all the things I missed, glad to see so much progress by the group. Just more motivation for me to join the world of the active again.

Everybody take care out there and be well.

FWIW I have known several people who have had total hip replacement surgery and every one of them has recovered very quickly. To a person they all say, "why did I put this off so long?" I expect that a guy like you, who is going in to this in good shape with a positive attitude will have a very good experience.

There will be surgical pain of course but the other interesting thing is that total hip patients do not hurt nearly as much as total knee patients. Not sure why but they are universally more comfortable the day after surgery.

2013-10-21 9:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Thanks guys for the words of encouragement. Hopefully my results post surgery will be the same.

Nice race Randy. I always like to read the comments on the swim. It sounds like you got it right. Swim strong and in control. Good work. Your three mile run was just a bit faster than my 5k yesterday. I did the walk in about 1:20.

Although I didn't get to do much, I thought my schedule for 2013 with 4 tris, a 50k ride, 100k ride and yesterdays walk was a busy one. 11 races is nuts...but also sounds like fun. Great work.
2013-10-21 1:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Suzy & Jason, I am getting caught up on what I have missed and wanted to weigh in on the topic of tempo training to improve your swimming. At a high level, OK for training, not as effective as a ‘distance’ swimming strategy. I put the word distance in quotes because that will be different for everyone. Back in the day I didn’t consider anything less than 1000 yards a distance swim. For many a distance swim can be 400 yards.

The so what of that is, at least for me, moving from a 56 stroke count to 80 will certainly improve your cardio but maybe at the expense of technique and power. When I was swimming a 1650 (the longest race at the time), my stroke count might be 10% slower than in a short race. I was more interested in hitting a rhythm with a max power stroke than turn over. Absolutely quality over quantity.

As I worked to pick up my stroke count I was always cognizant about not breaking optimum form. What tends to happen is as you suffer from the shortness of breath you throw your head back to get oxygen and it can really screw up your form.

My suggestion would be to utilize tempo training at smaller marginal increases in tempo but over longer distances. I always found that to yield the best results. So instead of trying to pick up 4 or more strokes per length over short distances look to maintain 2 strokes over a longer distance. I was well into tempo training before I ever tried it on a distance of 200 yards or less. Most of my work was in 500 yard per swim sets even though I competed in shorter events.

Just a tip too when beginning tempo training. Think about increasing your kick rate and the stroke rate will automatically follow. Don’t know why but that was always the case with me and my teammates.

So now the disclaimer. I am a natural swimmer and from what I have learned, the sport with the biggest difference between naturals and not. At the levels I was competing at it was very unusual to find someone who was not a natural swimmer. So my advice is a good representation of what worked for me and swimmers like me. I hope it translates well.

Quick story: My best friend and best man at my wedding some four decades ago would always work harder than I did but could never beat me on his best day. Why, because he was not a natural swimmer. Now don’t feel sorry for him. He was a starter on USC’s water polo team and a two time Kona entrant back in the 80’s. He finished the first time when he didn’t really know what he was doing (his words). The second time while training specifically for the event he burned out on the bike and completed less than five miles of the run before dropping out.

Edited by Stuartap 2013-10-21 2:20 PM
2013-10-21 9:08 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Stuart

Awesome feedback. I may be working backwards on this by allowing my form to go a little bit while working on just improving my swim cardio but in the short term I have been doing it, it seems to be working. The tempo I have been swimming at for the last year is so slow that I think it is hard to be fast in the water. I am not really talking about going high tempo per se but rather just improving to what is probably a normal tempo for most swimmers. I would compare it to trying to run 7:00 miles while only taking 45 strides per minute. It would be hard to do.

I am most definitely not a natural when it comes to swimming but for the first time in awhile I am improving. I swam today and felt like I was sliding through the water almost effortlessly. And my times the last week have been really fast for me (really slow for even a mediocre high-school swimmer but we all have to start somewhere). I continue to be a work in progress but the increased tempo/stroke rate is hurting me less than it did last week so I must be adapting.........
2013-10-22 6:32 AM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by wannabefaster Stuart Awesome feedback. I may be working backwards on this by allowing my form to go a little bit while working on just improving my swim cardio but in the short term I have been doing it, it seems to be working. The tempo I have been swimming at for the last year is so slow that I think it is hard to be fast in the water. I am not really talking about going high tempo per se but rather just improving to what is probably a normal tempo for most swimmers. I would compare it to trying to run 7:00 miles while only taking 45 strides per minute. It would be hard to do. I am most definitely not a natural when it comes to swimming but for the first time in awhile I am improving. I swam today and felt like I was sliding through the water almost effortlessly. And my times the last week have been really fast for me (really slow for even a mediocre high-school swimmer but we all have to start somewhere). I continue to be a work in progress but the increased tempo/stroke rate is hurting me less than it did last week so I must be adapting.........

So much of what Jason says above describes me, except his definition of slow! If I was Jason fast, I would consider it a huge victory and be completely psyched for my '14 season.

Stuart, I have worked on technique for the last few years.  It is significantly better than where it was, but I am not a natural swimmer in the H20 either and my 100 pace is still north of 2:00.  I'm willing to sacrifice a little form, for speed.  The TT won't be used for every part of my swim, but only for a few sets to see if I can ingrain a TO closer to 70.   If I find at some period of time the TT is making me slower (God forbid!), then I will definitely reconsider the approach. Thanks for the advice and welcome back to the group!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88