BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-10-22 7:13 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED
All this discussion about slow turnover in the swim is ringing very true with me. Like Suzy, I improved my technique significantly without really seeing any improvement in speed. I've been described as having a "lazy" stroke. It's very relaxed and great for long distance but it's hard to convince myself to move my arms any faster... I've got a Wetronome, which I've completely failed to use for ages, and really ought to get back out again (thanks for the reminder guys).

On the topic of HOW to increase turnover, the advice my coach gave me was to do a test session: Set the wetronome to my current cadence and swim 4x50s (plenty of rest on all of them), counting my strokes. Then increase the cadence by 1, do 4x50s counting strokes, and keep increasing the cadence until my stroke count falls off a cliff. At that point I know that I've taken it too far. Then drop down to the highest cadence where I can maintain my stroke count (which is a good indication of form). Train at that for a few weeks, then do the test again and hopefully I can increase it further. My usual stroke count is around 18/length and I remember when I last did the test I managed to increase the cadence by about 5-6 beats while keeping the count to 18-19, then on the next one it suddenly went up to 23. So it was noticeable when I'd reached my limit. I think the idea of doing it this way is that you get the benefits of the increased stroke count without demolishing technique.

2013-10-22 7:29 AM
in reply to: chapfallen

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
My training is still basically non-existent at the moment (although the house is starting to take shape - at this rate we might not want to move even if the other house is still available!), but on Sunday we took a little time out to go mountain biking, and I wanted to share a breakthrough with the group.

We got the mountain bikes about a year ago with the goal of improving bike handling, and also giving us something to train on in the winter. There's a forestry commission site near us that has some good mountain biking trails that are classified as blue, red and black (plus a downhill "park" for the insane). The blue trail is basically just a rough road, with no real skills required, but the first time we went up to try some red routes I was really nervous. We got up to the top and I was pretty much freaking out. I went down all the routes really slowly, got off and walked whenever there was anything remotely challenging, and literally cried my way down most of the technical sections. I was really embarrassed as my husband and the two friends that were with us obviously found it all quite easy, and I really didn't.

So I set myself two goals:
1) make it down a red route without crying(!)
2) make it down a red route without stopping and getting off at any point

We've been back a number of times and done a different set of red routes, and I've achieved my goal of getting down without crying on a number of occasions. On Sunday we went back up to the original set of trails for the first time since the first time. And I couldn't believe the difference! I was flying down the routes, hardly braking at all, hit all the more challenging stuff (there are some tabletop sections that have a bypass option) and when I was at the front of the group I never felt like I was slowing anyone down (usually I go at the back so I can take my time). The most surprising part for me was on the bottom section where there is a rock bridge with a drop on either side of about 9 inches. That's the sort of stuff that really scares me, so I said before we started that I'd be stopping and walking that section. When I got to it I looked at it and realised it was much wider than I remembered, and so decided to give it a go, and I MADE IT! So I've now achieved goal no.2!

There are still some other red routes that I haven't made it all the way down yet, but if I can maintain my confidence I have no doubt I can get down those as well. I think we're going to try to get up there once every 5 weeks over the winter (to fit in with my shifts) as the climbing will really help with leg strength and the downhill stuff is really building my confidence. It's only taken a year...
2013-10-22 7:36 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

New user

I absolutely feel your pain on this one. I used to ride 3-day event horses competitively, and I crashed and burned at a competition in Kentucky and was airlifted out. My mom saw someone leading my horse back to the barn and she asked about the rider. Their response was, "It didn't look good." Gee...thanks for that bit of information from someone that hadn't even seen me after the fall (I was coherant, I told them my arm hurt, I knew my name, where I lived, and also asked them to call my mom).

Alas, I broke my collarbone. That was it!!

And, they also took some big (and very sharp) scissors and cut my 6 month old custom fit leather riding boots (to the tune of $500) right down the front instead of slicing out the stitching in the back seams!!!

That is horrible! The comment made to your Mom was so flippant not to mention inaccurate!

I get the need to have clothing out of the way but Wow it sounds like they could have at least snipped through the seams!
2013-10-22 7:39 AM

User image

New user
Originally posted by Stuartap

I managed to do a 5k today, on crutches, for the American Diabetes Assn. The hip is a little sore but my arms are where I am really feeling it. Tomorrow I see my surgeon to schedule my hip replacement surgery.

Stuart I am beyond impressed you did a 5k on crutches! That is truly inspiring!
With that level of perseverance and motivation, you will curie through your rehab!

Mary
2013-10-22 7:48 AM
in reply to: Chunga

User image

New user
I saw my MD yesterday, she thinks my dizziness and confusion will improve and that they are a common response to concussion. I am relieved at her optimism.

Walking and stationary bike for a while but I am lucky I know!

Mary
2013-10-22 10:14 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Mary-thats good news. Glad it is nothing more serious.

Nothing too exciting happening here as I transition into the offseason. Unfortunately, I have a 10 min TT bike test this evening to determine current power. I hate those things and always dread them because I know how much it will hurt. Only good thing is they are typically 20 minutes.

With the talk about the off season and such I wanted to mention a book I got a couple of years ago. I really did not follow the workouts but it had alot of good info about bicycling and specific workouts. It was "The Time Crunched Cyclist" by Chris Carmichael. It is geared more toward a cyclist than a triathlete. Had some good info if someone was looking to do a bike focus for a couple of weeks with specific workoutsd laid out. I picked it up last night from my book bin by my night stand and read back through some of it.  Worth looking through if you see it at a bookstore. 

http://www.amazon.com/The-Time-Crunched-Cyclist-2nd-Ed/dp/193403083X

2013-10-22 10:15 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Mary glad it is nothing more serious.

Suzy I hope you don't take offense to my disagreeing with the notion of sacrificing form for speed. In the long run I don't believe that is a viable path to becoming a better swimmer. I understand the frustration for a slow swimmer wanting to do anything to be faster but that path will ultimately be more successful with form improvement. Let me be clear though, form is more than looking good in the water. It is also getting the most power (propulsion) from each stroke.

For those who took my tip and tried to swim with a tennis ball in each hand, did you see the difference in trying to get power from the entire arm and not just the hands?

I am not saying that tempo training can not be a valuable tool. I just think keeping it in the context of good form will yield better results. Rachel explained a process for her that allows for form to be maintained. Depending on your swimming fitness and form I might suggest backing off from the max you can do maybe a stroke or two but shorten the interval between each step up. Training at anything at your max all the time is very tough on the body and the mind.

One other idea for non-swimmers that may seem crazy but might help. I do active rest on my days off except right before a race where I will take a day off completely. Try getting in a pool and swimming slow but maintaining form. Just swim. Don't think about how far, don't count strokes, don't think about anything. When I used to teach adults to swim I found they gained not only a comfort level but a fondness for the water. The benefit may be more psychological than anything else but if you can think of yourself as a swimmer instead of thinking about how slow you swim, it could help. Not too many people like to do things they are not very good at.

Finally, thanks to all for the kind words about my 5k on crutches but the real heroes are people like my daughter. Diagnosed seven years ago when she was hospitalized in a diabetic coma. Today she just finished her third year as Captain of Team Red for our local ADA Chapter. She serves on the Step Out Walk committee. She fights the fight every day. Walking 3 miles on crutches seems insignificant in comparison.

Edited by Stuartap 2013-10-22 10:49 AM
2013-10-22 10:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

Finally, thanks to all for the kind words about my 5k on crutches but the real heroes are people like my daughter. Diagnosed seven years ago when she was hospitalized in a diabetic coma. Today she just finished her third year as Captain of Team Red for our local ADA Chapter. She serves on the Step Out Walk committee. She fights the fight every day. Walking 3 miles on crutches seems insignificant in comparison.

You're both inspiring! It really helps to put your day & life in perspective.
2013-10-22 2:01 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by Stuartap  Suzy I hope you don't take offense to my disagreeing with the notion of sacrificing form for speed. In the long run I don't believe that is a viable path to becoming a better swimmer. I understand the frustration for a slow swimmer wanting to do anything to be faster but that path will ultimately be more successful with form improvement. Let me be clear though, form is more than looking good in the water. It is also getting the most power (propulsion) from each stroke. For those who took my tip and tried to swim with a tennis ball in each hand, did you see the difference in trying to get power from the entire arm and not just the hands? .

No offense taken at all.  I appreciate you taking the time to provide your insight and believe there is validity to the advice. I especially keyed in on your comment regarding power. I've asked my coach to write my swim workouts to include the TT for specific sets.where he felt it was appropriate versus the whole workout.  He is the one who has given me the specific feedback on turn over after watching me swim quite frequently over the last two plus years.  We are swimming together next week so we'll be able to monitor progress.  I'm not sure if this will make sense to you given your talent in the water, but the TT has added a certain freshness to a frustrating process.  

2013-10-22 3:26 PM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by chapfallen All this discussion about slow turnover in the swim is ringing very true with me. Like Suzy, I improved my technique significantly without really seeing any improvement in speed. I've been described as having a "lazy" stroke. It's very relaxed and great for long distance but it's hard to convince myself to move my arms any faster... I've got a Wetronome, which I've completely failed to use for ages, and really ought to get back out again (thanks for the reminder guys). On the topic of HOW to increase turnover, the advice my coach gave me was to do a test session: Set the wetronome to my current cadence and swim 4x50s (plenty of rest on all of them), counting my strokes. Then increase the cadence by 1, do 4x50s counting strokes, and keep increasing the cadence until my stroke count falls off a cliff. At that point I know that I've taken it too far. Then drop down to the highest cadence where I can maintain my stroke count (which is a good indication of form). Train at that for a few weeks, then do the test again and hopefully I can increase it further. My usual stroke count is around 18/length and I remember when I last did the test I managed to increase the cadence by about 5-6 beats while keeping the count to 18-19, then on the next one it suddenly went up to 23. So it was noticeable when I'd reached my limit. I think the idea of doing it this way is that you get the benefits of the increased stroke count without demolishing technique.

Yep, you sound like me, lazy stroke!  I am going to give your 4x50 a test tomorrow.  So far, I've increased my turn over by about 6 strokes/minute and my stroke count for 25 yards is the same.    I did try taking it all the way up to 70 strokes/minute and was so far behind the beep I knew I couldn't start there, but needed to build it up more slowly.  THanks for the info!

2013-10-22 8:12 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I know that I have been saying that I have been sacrificing my form to pick up my tempo.....and I am willing to do that....... but I don't really think that I am. My form actually feels better than it ever has. I am really feeling the catch part of my stroke. I also think that I am keeping my elbow much higher than I used to. I do know that I am spending less time just sitting there with my arm stretched out in front of me. The second I reach full extension I am initiating my catch and pull.

It is like a game, trying to figure out what natural swimmers do without even thinking about it. I do feel like I am slipping through the water better than I ever have. We will see if the improvements continue and if they 'stick'.

2013-10-22 8:45 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I was thinking about this discussion on swimming proficiency as I read about the swim deaths posts in the Triathlon Talk forum. One of the links led to an article that had this paragraph:

"Open-water racing triggers a clash of two mechanisms of the involuntary nervous system, according to researchers at England’s University of Portsmouth. A “fight or flight” response activated by physical exertion, cold water temperature or anxiety tries to speed up the heart rate and causes hyperventilation, just as the body tries to slow the heart rate to conserve oxygen in response to facial wetting, water entering the mouth, nose and throat, and extended breath-holding, the scientists said."

My initial thought was the analysis left out three important words "in some people". I was talking with a guy who ran the 10K in the ADA event on Sunday. I was wearing a hat I got at a tri and he mentioned he wanted to do them but could not ride a bike on the road with cars going by. It triggers too much fear.

I guess I take for granted my comfort in the water yet at some level, especially now, I understand feeling apprehensive when cars race by my bike. For anyone who has ever been scuba certified they put you through a drill where they will rip off your mask or regulator to see if you panic. Once they turned off my regulator (unnoticed) and instead of shooting to the surface I simply took the tanks off underwater, saw what was the matter and turned it back on. No worries.

Now going downhill at IM Tahoe would completely freak me out.

So I am curious, assuming the run is fairly non-threatening, which sparks more fear in you: a mass start swim or flying downhill on your bike at say 40+ mph?
2013-10-23 6:42 AM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Stuartap I was thinking about this discussion on swimming proficiency as I read about the swim deaths posts in the Triathlon Talk forum. One of the links led to an article that had this paragraph: "Open-water racing triggers a clash of two mechanisms of the involuntary nervous system, according to researchers at England’s University of Portsmouth. A “fight or flight” response activated by physical exertion, cold water temperature or anxiety tries to speed up the heart rate and causes hyperventilation, just as the body tries to slow the heart rate to conserve oxygen in response to facial wetting, water entering the mouth, nose and throat, and extended breath-holding, the scientists said." My initial thought was the analysis left out three important words "in some people". I was talking with a guy who ran the 10K in the ADA event on Sunday. I was wearing a hat I got at a tri and he mentioned he wanted to do them but could not ride a bike on the road with cars going by. It triggers too much fear. I guess I take for granted my comfort in the water yet at some level, especially now, I understand feeling apprehensive when cars race by my bike. For anyone who has ever been scuba certified they put you through a drill where they will rip off your mask or regulator to see if you panic. Once they turned off my regulator (unnoticed) and instead of shooting to the surface I simply took the tanks off underwater, saw what was the matter and turned it back on. No worries. Now going downhill at IM Tahoe would completely freak me out. So I am curious, assuming the run is fairly non-threatening, which sparks more fear in you: a mass start swim or flying downhill on your bike at say 40+ mph?

Easy, OWS.  At the age of 5 at my first swim lesson, the teacher threw me in the pool to demonstrate that we wouldn't sink. Never went back to swim lessons, ever.   Flash forward to my honeymoon at Age 27 on the North Shore of Ohau where I nearly drowned-like saw my life flash before me while swirling in current drown.  Was saved by 3 marines.  Took me a  year to put my face in the water when I first decided to do triathlon at the age of 45.  I'm way better, but the start of every OWS race provides the same level of panic.  I hate it.

2013-10-23 9:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Suzy you had a very bad swim instructor. I did that job in my youth. I took the 'rocks'. Those were 5 & 6 year olds who, when put in the water, would sink. Over the course of a 10 day session of 45 minutes each I got every child to jump off a diving board (at least 75% off a 3 meter) into a deep water pool and get themselves out. That was my goal, to let them know how to get themselves safely out of the pool. That does not happen by scaring the crap out of them.

I am very sorry that was your experience but I have seen the approach.

BTW - if you want to know how I accomplished that it was really quite easy. I only needed to do two things:

1) I banned all parents from the pool. That meant nobody to enable the kids to be scared.
2) I got the majority of the kids to have fun. Peer pressure works great. Nobody wanted to be left out.
2013-10-23 9:53 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

For those who took my tip and tried to swim with a tennis ball in each hand, did you see the difference in trying to get power from the entire arm and not just the hands?

I did it a few times and I carry the tennis balls in my bag every day - but I didn't stick with it. Last year was a cluster and it was all I could do to keep a schedule let alone a real training schedule.

This off season will be different. I'm going in with a plan and this drill is in my workout. Thanks!!

Everyone in this forum has been a real inspiration to me. Really just about everyone on this website LOL! I mean really, all these people going out there and giving it their best shot whether they are out to win or have a good time. It's really cool!
2013-10-23 11:36 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
South Alabama

Stuart-interesting question about what we most fear. No doubt it was the swim with the increased/spiking HR and uncomfortable feeling that I always experienced at the beginning of a race. I'm much more comfortable now but I suspect that is due to more experience racing and more time in the pool. Still plenty to work on with the swim but pretty comfortable now in races.......although I suspect I was really meant to be a duathlete

Anyone got any running races or other races coming up? Almost forgot but hats off to Suzy for puking at the end of her race. I've come close a couple of times but never quite done it. That's leaving it all out there....literally!

2013-10-23 4:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

So I am curious, assuming the run is fairly non-threatening, which sparks more fear in you: a mass start swim or flying downhill on your bike at say 40+ mph?

Since I've started triathlon, OWS has definitely been scarier than cycling. I've always been a sort of reckless person, usually more willing to do the stupid "I dare you" thing than most other people, so cycling fast downhill seems to sort of fit that. On the other hand, OWS is about total loss of control and lack of comfort in an environment. I'm much more comfortable than I used to be in the open water, which has come about because of my increased confidence in swimming, but coming into this season, I could count on a crazy-high HR to start any OWS. Also, I did the tennis ball exercise, and then switched to just doing a drill with closed fists, and I sure am better at swimming at the end of this season than I was at the beginning!

I have a HM race this Saturday. This is a local race that's pretty popular, and hilly. I got 1:52 on it last year, and I'm looking at beating that this year. I'm going to really push it for the whole race to see what I've got in me. I've really backed off of tri-training since my HIM 1 1/2 weeks ago, other than running, because I want to see how I am with relatively fresh legs. Anything under 1:52 will make me happy, and the lower, the better.

Also, later this evening, I'm going to try a yoga class. It's a Yoga conditioning class at my local YMCA that seems worth a shot; I'm paying for my membership, and it seems worth trying once at least.
2013-10-23 7:13 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

New user
I am pretty cautious braking going downhill on the bike, usually no all out for me.

So far I haven't had any big fear issues in the water but the swim starts I have done haven't been mass ones.

I have three HM's between now and mid December, I hope to keep the run training where I need to in order to run them but walking is an option too if my dizziness doesn't improve enough.

I signed up today for a trail HM in March! Using my time off work wisely to plan events, trail shoe purchases, training on trails etc etc etc! need to plan an early retirement!!!
This is more fun than car buying, dealing with insurance, medical bills etc.
Got the ambulance bill today, over $1,000, WOW!
2013-10-23 7:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England

For me the fear is definitely on the bike. That's why I was so proud of my mountain biking at the weekend ;-)

I think I'm a little unusual because although I'm not a "swimmer" in the sense that I swam as a child (I was in the non-swimming group at school for ever), I've always loved being in the water. I don't actually enjoy OWS. I don't like being cold (which it always is here - I've never been in a race where wetsuits weren't required), and the first few times we did swimming in a group in practice I hated it. But I LOVE swimming, and so despite all the negatives that come with being in the open water I still think the swim is actually my best of the three sports.

For cycling my confidence very much waxes and wanes. I've had more than my share of crashes in the last two years, and while I've been lucky enough to walk away from all of them (well, nearly) they've definitely impacted on my confidence. And I was never confident on the bike as a child, so while my husband thinks nothing up bouncing up a curb, it takes a lot of concentration and bravery for me to even try it. While that's not really a road cycling skill, it's fairly representative of our relative abilities.

[BTW Stu, I hadn't heard about the exercise with the tennis balls, but we do something similar with just a fist. For me that was the breakthrough drill - for several months I started every swim session with a few lengths of that to get the feel for a full arm catch. Now I just do it without thinking]
2013-10-23 7:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Originally posted by SSMinnow

Easy, OWS.  At the age of 5 at my first swim lesson, the teacher threw me in the pool to demonstrate that we wouldn't sink. Never went back to swim lessons, ever.   Flash forward to my honeymoon at Age 27 on the North Shore of Ohau where I nearly drowned-like saw my life flash before me while swirling in current drown.  Was saved by 3 marines.  Took me a  year to put my face in the water when I first decided to do triathlon at the age of 45.  I'm way better, but the start of every OWS race provides the same level of panic.  I hate it.

Well, I'm impressed that you ever get in the water after all that! I've got no such excuse. My parents made sure that I always had fun in the water as a child, and I still thank them for it to this day. Respect to you for getting in and doing it, and for continuing to work at it to get better.
2013-10-23 7:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Originally posted by Chunga

I saw my MD yesterday, she thinks my dizziness and confusion will improve and that they are a common response to concussion. I am relieved at her optimism.

Walking and stationary bike for a while but I am lucky I know!

Mary

Mary - I hope you're continuing to improve and feeling better. Take it easy and good luck with the preparation for your HMs.

2013-10-24 10:05 AM

User image

Champion

Wanted to wish our racers good luck this weekend.  We're headed to our house in Northern WI where there is already snow on the ground!  Needless to say, my rides will be inside, but still plan to hit the trails for a run or two.

2013-10-24 3:26 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

I am pretty cautious braking going downhill on the bike, usually no all out for me.

So far I haven't had any big fear issues in the water but the swim starts I have done haven't been mass ones.

I have three HM's between now and mid December, I hope to keep the run training where I need to in order to run them but walking is an option too if my dizziness doesn't improve enough.

I signed up today for a trail HM in March! Using my time off work wisely to plan events, trail shoe purchases, training on trails etc etc etc! need to plan an early retirement!!!

You continue to impress me.

3 in the next 8 weeks?! YOU GO!!!
2013-10-24 4:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

If you get stuck in dealing with the insurance company just let me know. I am in the business in addition to dealing with my own accident. I know what buttons to push and what to say to get their attention. Happy to lend my expertise if it would be of value to you.

2013-10-24 10:42 PM

User image

New user
Stuart, thank you for the offer. I appreciate it and definitely will if I need some help. Thanks very much.

Mary
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88