BT Development Mentor Program Archives » brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 108

2010-07-23 5:53 AM
in reply to: #2999378

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Subject: RE: brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now!
GoGoGo - 2010-07-23 4:18 AM
croixfan - 2010-07-22 9:46 PM All right guys, I'm down to 3 days before my first "real" triathlon.  It's Sunday in Springfield, IL and consists of a 500 yard swim, 12 mile ride and 3 mile run.  Plan is to take it relatively easy and make sure that I finish without damaginf myself.  See it playing out as follows:

Swim - Will target 3:30 / 100m.  Worst case of 4, best of 3.  See a time of 17:30. 
Bike - Will target 18 mph.  Worst case of 17, best case of 19.5.  See a time of 40 minutes
Run - Will target 10 min / mile.  Worst case of 11, best of 9.  See a time of 30 minutes
Add in 2:30 for the transitions and the target time will be 1:30. 

Last year in the same even that would have placed me 147 out of 221.  To get to 110, would need a time of 1:22:45.  It's a bit of a stretch, but that's the result that would really put a smile on my face! 

I've managed to exceed all of the above target times during different training sessions so it's possible that I could do a bit better.  Biggest challenge will be staying calm and solid through the swim.  I'm super confident on the bike and run as my bricks have all gone very well.  Tomorrow and Saturday I'll be taking it really easy.  May do some very slow relaxed work on each discipline; however, no more pushing as it's time to let the body get ready for the race.  Hopefully competing on a well rested body will get me a few minutes on each discipline.

My 15 year old son's pretty excited as well.  He's targeting 2:00 / 100m, 23mph, and a 17 minute run for a total time of right at an hour.  Several guys from his old school / XC team will be there so he's got some extra motivation.  If he pulls off his goal, he should finish in the top 3.  Realistically, I see him coming in around 1:05 and finishing top 10.  Must be nice to be young and full of energy.

Welcome any last minute guidance or advice.

Again, appreciate all of the help over the last couple of months as it's made a big difference and kept me going more than once.

You have planned your race very nicely...good luck.

If your son can run a 17 minute 5k, off the bike, he definitely has a Tri future!!! Surprised

My only advice...don't try & keep up with your son!

No way I'm trying to stay with him!  I'm really curious to see what he can do this weekend.  I'm about 98% certain that he can hit the times he's targeting independently.  Back to back, they seem aggressive.  However, he's been working his backside off all summer with the run.  The school he'll be attending in the fall is the defending state champion in XC and the coach has a summer routine that is incredible -- while the distances are significant, the bigger thing is that he has all of the older boys coaching/encouraging the kids.  Result is that they're out there every day for significant miles at paces that seem crazy. 

2010-07-23 8:08 AM
in reply to: #2999403

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
croixfan - 2010-07-23 5:53 AM

GoGoGo - 2010-07-23 4:18 AM
croixfan - 2010-07-22 9:46 PM All right guys, I'm down to 3 days before my first "real" triathlon.  It's Sunday in Springfield, IL and consists of a 500 yard swim, 12 mile ride and 3 mile run.  Plan is to take it relatively easy and make sure that I finish without damaginf myself.  See it playing out as follows:

Swim - Will target 3:30 / 100m.  Worst case of 4, best of 3.  See a time of 17:30. 
Bike - Will target 18 mph.  Worst case of 17, best case of 19.5.  See a time of 40 minutes
Run - Will target 10 min / mile.  Worst case of 11, best of 9.  See a time of 30 minutes

Last year in the same even that would have placed me 147 out of 221.  To get to 110, would need a time of 1:22:45.  It's a bit of a stretch, but that's the result that would really put a smile on my face! 

I've managed to exceed all of the above target times during different training sessions so it's possible that I could do a bit better.  Biggest challenge will be staying calm and solid through the swim.  I'm super confident on the bike and run as my bricks have all gone very well.  Tomorrow and Saturday I'll be taking it really easy.  May do some very slow relaxed work on each discipline; however, no more pushing as it's time to let the body get ready for the race.  Hopefully competing on a well rested body will get me a few minutes on each discipline.

My 15 year old son's pretty excited as well.  He's targeting 2:00 / 100m, 23mph, and a 17 minute run for a total time of right at an hour.  Several guys from his old school / XC team will be there so he's got some extra motivation.  If he pulls off his goal, he should finish in the top 3.  Realistically, I see him coming in around 1:05 and finishing top 10.  Must be nice to be young and full of energy.

Again, appreciate all of the help over the last couple of months as it's made a big difference and kept me going more than once.

You have planned your race very nicely...good luck.

If your son can run a 17 minute 5k, off the bike, he definitely has a Tri future!!! Surprised

My only advice...don't try & keep up with your son!

No way I'm trying to stay with him!  I'm really curious to see what he can do this weekend.  I'm about 98% certain that he can hit the times he's targeting independently.  Back to back, they seem aggressive.  However, he's been working his backside off all summer with the run.  The school he'll be attending in the fall is the defending state champion in XC and the coach has a summer routine that is incredible -- while the distances are significant, the bigger thing is that he has all of the older boys coaching/encouraging the kids.  Result is that they're out there every day for significant miles at paces that seem crazy. 

that's incredible!!! Make sure you train with him. One thing I've learned is that training with people faster than you makes you faster quick!! Infact, bring me along with you too.
2010-07-23 9:20 AM
in reply to: #2998982

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
croixfan - 2010-07-22 5:46 PM

It looks like you're ready to me.  Now, just go have fun!
2010-07-23 10:54 AM
in reply to: #2999785

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
brick94513 - 2010-07-23 9:20 AM

Great advice which I will definitely follow!!!!
2010-07-23 10:56 AM
in reply to: #2998982

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
croixfan - 2010-07-21 8:46 PM All right guys, I'm down to 3 days before my first "real" triathlon.  It's Sunday in Springfield, IL and consists of a 500 yard swim, 12 mile ride and 3 mile run.  Plan is to take it relatively easy and make sure that I finish without damaginf myself.  See it playing out as follows:

Sounds like a realistic plan to me, Curt. You'll have a nice amount of adrenaline in your system especially since it's your first "real" triathlon so don't be surprised if you do a lot better than that. However, just make sure you don't blow-up during the swim due to that adrenaline...take it nice and easy. As everyone says, tris aren't won in the water. 

You'll do great! Can't wait to read your RR!  
2010-07-23 11:23 AM
in reply to: #2770949

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
Sorry guys, but I have to vent. I am so sad and disturbed right now. I had planned on doing 25 miles around the lake (3 laps) this morning....so I'm riding along on my first lap 2/3's of the way around the lake and these two adorable miniature dachshunds run out onto the side of the road from one of the houses that line the lake. Of course, when you're riding with clipless pedals you learn how to anticipate the possible need to slow down and get ready to clip out in case you have to stop. Same goes for if you're in a car. You look at the "big picture" in front of you and anticipate any hazards ahead. I could see the dogs roughly 75 yards ahead of me. Unfortunately the man in pickup in front of me didn't. He just plowed right into one of the dogs and didn't even brake until he'd already hit the poor little fella. 

The dog's owner was an elderly lady who obviously had problems with mobility and I heard her trying to call them back in as she was limping towards the street to corral them. She was trying to pick up her little dog who was screaming in agony and she just slumped to her knees and started crying the most heart-wrenching cry I'd ever heard. So of course I start crying. I ran over to her and a fisherman came over with a towel and we managed to gather the dog in the towel - it was still in agony.

Meanwhile the idiot who hit the dog was standing across the street just staring. My bike was laying next to his pickup (TOTALLY surprised he even stopped), so I went to fetch it. While I was doing so, I said "Aren't you going to go apologize for hitting that lady's dog?!" He was an elderly man - about 80 is my guess. His eyes were clouded up with cataracts and he could barely hear me speak.  He said that he wasn't going to apologize because he didn't want to pay any vet bills. So I look straight into his eyes and say "But Sir, it's the right thing to do!" Finally, after I shamed him into it, the old geezer did cross the street and went up to the owner. In the meantime the woman's family had come out of the house so I decided to finish my ride lap. Crying the entire way home. 

I know that this doesn't seem like something to get all bent out of shape about, but this past weekend TWO cyclists were killed in Oklahoma City by careless motorists. If *I* can see two dogs with more than enough time to guess what might happen (dogs may run onto road), anticipate the need to slow down or even stop, all with about 60 yards left in which to do so, then motorists should be required to have the same set of capabilities. The driver was an old man who couldn't see or hear. I've worked in hospital ERs so I know that he's probably on no less than 10 medications, some of which may greatly impair a person's ability to operate machinery, and he's has a good dose of senility to boot. The docs I worked with used to say that the bigger threat to public safety was elderly people vs. intoxicated drivers. This problem will only get worse as the elderly population is going to explode in the next 10 years. I don't know about you guys, but I'm freakin' SCARED OF ELDERLY DRIVERS!!! Shoot - I'll even go so far as to say I'm scared of ALL motorists here in OKC. They're all retarded rednecks.

The lake has a speed limit of 30mph, and 20mph in some places. If I can't ride around it without fear of old f*&kers hitting me, I don't know where the h3ll I'm supposed to ride!!!!!

/rant

2010-07-23 11:24 AM
in reply to: #3000099

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
croixfan - 2010-07-23 8:54 AM
brick94513 - 2010-07-23 9:20 AM

Great advice which I will definitely follow!!!!

x2 ^^

I remember how nervous I was for my first sprint tri. Take it all in, meet some cool people and kick some butt!
2010-07-23 1:02 PM
in reply to: #3000168

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
kickitinok - 2010-07-23 11:23 AM

Sorry guys, but I have to vent. I am so sad and disturbed right now. I had planned on doing 25 miles around the lake (3 laps) this morning....so I'm riding along on my first lap 2/3's of the way around the lake and these two adorable miniature dachshunds run out onto the side of the road from one of the houses that line the lake. Of course, when you're riding with clipless pedals you learn how to anticipate the possible need to slow down and get ready to clip out in case you have to stop. Same goes for if you're in a car. You look at the "big picture" in front of you and anticipate any hazards ahead. I could see the dogs roughly 75 yards ahead of me. Unfortunately the man in pickup in front of me didn't. He just plowed right into one of the dogs and didn't even brake until he'd already hit the poor little fella. 

The dog's owner was an elderly lady who obviously had problems with mobility and I heard her trying to call them back in as she was limping towards the street to corral them. She was trying to pick up her little dog who was screaming in agony and she just slumped to her knees and started crying the most heart-wrenching cry I'd ever heard. So of course I start crying. I ran over to her and a fisherman came over with a towel and we managed to gather the dog in the towel - it was still in agony.

Meanwhile the idiot who hit the dog was standing across the street just staring. My bike was laying next to his pickup (TOTALLY surprised he even stopped), so I went to fetch it. While I was doing so, I said "Aren't you going to go apologize for hitting that lady's dog?!" He was an elderly man - about 80 is my guess. His eyes were clouded up with cataracts and he could barely hear me speak.  He said that he wasn't going to apologize because he didn't want to pay any vet bills. So I look straight into his eyes and say "But Sir, it's the right thing to do!" Finally, after I shamed him into it, the old geezer did cross the street and went up to the owner. In the meantime the woman's family had come out of the house so I decided to finish my ride lap. Crying the entire way home. 

I know that this doesn't seem like something to get all bent out of shape about, but this past weekend TWO cyclists were killed in Oklahoma City by careless motorists. If *I* can see two dogs with more than enough time to guess what might happen (dogs may run onto road), anticipate the need to slow down or even stop, all with about 60 yards left in which to do so, then motorists should be required to have the same set of capabilities. The driver was an old man who couldn't see or hear. I've worked in hospital ERs so I know that he's probably on no less than 10 medications, some of which may greatly impair a person's ability to operate machinery, and he's has a good dose of senility to boot. The docs I worked with used to say that the bigger threat to public safety was elderly people vs. intoxicated drivers. This problem will only get worse as the elderly population is going to explode in the next 10 years. I don't know about you guys, but I'm freakin' SCARED OF ELDERLY DRIVERS!!! Shoot - I'll even go so far as to say I'm scared of ALL motorists here in OKC. They're all retarded rednecks.

The lake has a speed limit of 30mph, and 20mph in some places. If I can't ride around it without fear of old f*&kers hitting me, I don't know where the h3ll I'm supposed to ride!!!!!

/rant

I love my dogs more than most people! Heartbreaking!!
2010-07-23 1:29 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
weather looks a bit iffy this weekend here. Not sure what I'll get in. Hopefully, a long ride run/ a short ride run with the wife/ and a swim. Theres a MTB race I was going to do, but my wife is getting really into tri's right now and I'd hate to ruin that by leaving her to train on her own this weekend while I got MTB racing. My MTB has been sorely neglected lately!

Good luck to all you racers this weekend!
2010-07-23 4:28 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
kickitinok - 2010-07-23 9:23 AM Sorry guys, but I have to vent. I am so sad and disturbed right now. I had planned on doing 25 miles around the lake (3 laps) this morning....so I'm riding along on my first lap 2/3's of the way around the lake and these two adorable miniature dachshunds run out onto the side of the road from one of the houses that line the lake. Of course, when you're riding with clipless pedals you learn how to anticipate the possible need to slow down and get ready to clip out in case you have to stop. Same goes for if you're in a car. You look at the "big picture" in front of you and anticipate any hazards ahead. I could see the dogs roughly 75 yards ahead of me. Unfortunately the man in pickup in front of me didn't. He just plowed right into one of the dogs and didn't even brake until he'd already hit the poor little fella. 

Sad, sad situation!  That most of been horrible to see.

Drivers are just careless.  I've lost count how many times that I've had near misses with cars.  Just the other day, I had a driver make a U-turn in front of me then proceed to make a right turn into a parking lot.  Fortunately, I was able to skid to a stop before hitting the rear of her car.  Of course, it was an elderly driver.

This is just one of the reasons I prefer the trails over the roads.
2010-07-23 4:30 PM
in reply to: #3000502

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA

Meulen - 2010-07-23 11:02 AM

I love my dogs more than most people!

Yep.  I can agree with that statement!

2010-07-23 8:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
kickitinok - 2010-07-23 11:23 AM Sorry guys, but I have to vent. I am so sad and disturbed right now. I had planned on doing 25 miles around the lake (3 laps) this morning....so I'm riding along on my first lap 2/3's of the way around the lake and these two adorable miniature dachshunds run out onto the side of the road from one of the houses that line the lake. Of course, when you're riding with clipless pedals you learn how to anticipate the possible need to slow down and get ready to clip out in case you have to stop. Same goes for if you're in a car. You look at the "big picture" in front of you and anticipate any hazards ahead. I could see the dogs roughly 75 yards ahead of me. Unfortunately the man in pickup in front of me didn't. He just plowed right into one of the dogs and didn't even brake until he'd already hit the poor little fella. 

/rant

Sad that some folks won't admit it's time to turn in the license.  While I worry about my son getting a license in a few months, worry more about my grandfather who is still behind the wheel.

At least you helped the lady out -- that counts for quite a lot.
2010-07-23 8:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Getting excited now.  Arrived in town and went out for a quick drive over the course / check of the water temp.  Both the bike and run course are quite "gentle" in terms of hills + lots of shade.  Water just a shade warmer than the pool has been.  Only issue is the significant amount of gravel on the last section of the bike course / prior to turn around.  Seem to recall last year when my son did this they actually used a street sweeper to clean it up.  Hopefully they'll do the same tomorrow AM.

Optimistic that my times are attainable and may even be conservative if I relax and stick to the plan.....

UPDATE -- Alex and I headed over this AM for a very light run around the course.  Took it very easy / 41 minutes for the 3 miles.  Course is very friendly as hills are gentle and sun only is direct on about 1/2 mile total.  Should be fun!

Edited by croixfan 2010-07-24 9:38 AM
2010-07-24 12:03 PM

User image

Expert
Curt, have fun tomorrow!  Must be really cool to see your son out there doing so well too.

Trina, what a horrible thing to see.  People suck.  Dogs rock.  Good for you for getting involved in the situation!

I'm doing a local tri tomorrow, it will be my first ever swim in the Bay.  COLD water, and salt water, but I think it's a pretty protected swim in that we start and finish at a yacht club so it should be calm water.  800 (or so, they say it's not actually measured) yard swim, 9mi bike, 2mi run. 

I decided to train straight through, so I did a long(ish) bike yesterday, and am doing a long run today, we'll see how that works out for me...  Gonna try and get under 8 minute miles for the 2 mile run, I hear it's flat and paved so I should have a shot at it.
2010-07-25 12:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
IM Texas, here I come! Tongue out
2010-07-25 8:45 AM
in reply to: #3002677

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
dhopman - 2010-07-24 10:43 PM IM Texas, here I come! Tongue out

What made you pick Texas?

If I'm correct, this is a new venue added to the 2011 Ironman series.  I'm curious why they chose the Houston suburbs for the event though.  I would think something near Austin would be much more appealing to competitors.

Congrats on stepping up!  I'm delaying my Ironman commitment until 2012.  It will be my 40th birthday present to myself.  I'm planning on preparing with four HIMs in 2011 (Oceanside, Wildflower, Vineman, ????).

2010-07-25 10:50 AM
in reply to: #3002831

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
brick94513 - 2010-07-24 9:45 AM

What made you pick Texas?

If I'm correct, this is a new venue added to the 2011 Ironman series.  I'm curious why they chose the Houston suburbs for the event though.  I would think something near Austin would be much more appealing to competitors.

Congrats on stepping up!  I'm delaying my Ironman commitment until 2012.  It will be my 40th birthday present to myself.  I'm planning on preparing with four HIMs in 2011 (Oceanside, Wildflower, Vineman, ????).

Congrats on going for an IM!

Also curious as to why you picked Texas. It's HOT! I did Lonestar sprint in April and was too hot. However, Tim's right....Austin does rock. Houston.....not so much. 
2010-07-25 10:54 AM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
Speaking of good venues.....

I'd like some input as to which venues are best for HIM and IM?

For my first HIM (hopefully by the end of next year), I'd like a flat bike/run course and cool/mild weather. Beautiful scenery would be nice. Hardware is mandatory Wink 

Traveling is not a problem. I just want my experience to be a good one.

Anyone have input on IM venues? 
2010-07-25 11:35 AM
in reply to: #3002831

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
brick94513 - 2010-07-25 6:45 AM I'm planning on preparing with four HIMs in 2011 (Oceanside, Wildflower, Vineman, ????).

and Silverman.  Might as well finish w/ a tough one.
2010-07-25 11:36 AM
in reply to: #3002677

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri

Whoa! That is some commitment right there!  Very nice.
2010-07-25 12:14 PM
in reply to: #3002976

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
shmeeg - 2010-07-25 9:35 AM
brick94513 - 2010-07-25 6:45 AM I'm planning on preparing with four HIMs in 2011 (Oceanside, Wildflower, Vineman, ????).

and Silverman.  Might as well finish w/ a tough one.
I'm actually planning on Silverman this year. We will see how that goes. Bike course looks tough.

2010-07-25 1:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Quick update on the race -- full report to follow.  Crash and burn.  Almost 1/2 hour on the swim as I had to stop repeatedly.  Was totally gassed on the rest of the race and turned in a time about 1:50.  By the run was feeling better / only took be 30 minutes.  Very frustrating, but I did gut it out!

Son turned in 1:14 which was solid.

Driving back home now....

2010-07-25 4:08 PM
in reply to: #3003059

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
croixfan - 2010-07-25 11:01 AM

Quick update on the race -- full report to follow.  Crash and burn.  Almost 1/2 hour on the swim as I had to stop repeatedly.  Was totally gassed on the rest of the race and turned in a time about 1:50.  By the run was feeling better / only took be 30 minutes.  Very frustrating, but I did gut it out!

Son turned in 1:14 which was solid.

Driving back home now....

That's too bad.  While its hard not to do, don't beat yourself up over it.  Instead, use it as motivation to come back stronger for your next race.  On a positive note, you now have your first triathlon under your belt.

Remember, we all have those days.  God knows I have had my share this year.  
2010-07-25 4:21 PM
in reply to: #3002944

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
kickitinok - 2010-07-25 8:54 AM Speaking of good venues.....

I'd like some input as to which venues are best for HIM and IM?

For my first HIM (hopefully by the end of next year), I'd like a flat bike/run course and cool/mild weather. Beautiful scenery would be nice. Hardware is mandatory Wink 

Traveling is not a problem. I just want my experience to be a good one.

Anyone have input on IM venues? 

How about Kansas 70.3?  I have no idea about the scenery, but how many hills can there be in Kansas?
2010-07-25 6:10 PM
in reply to: #3001105

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
brick94513 - 2010-07-23 4:30 PM

Meulen - 2010-07-23 11:02 AM

I love my dogs more than most people!

Yep.  I can agree with that statement!

Well guys and gal...... I've got another sad situation to share. My ride was cut short today. I can really say I reaffirm this statement I made above and extend that to other dogs as well. Today someone thought it was responsible to allow a 1 year old golden puppy roam there yard without a leash. End result was a messy pile up in our group after the dog ran out and attacked us. Fotunately, my wife and I escaped completely unscathed. However, to other woman in our group went down hard. One broke two bones in her left arm. The other had multiple contusions and lacerations on her face. I really hope people someday learn the responsibility they take on with animals. I just can't believe someone would allow a 1 year old pup roam like that. That's not enough time to train a dog properly for being off lead. And if you know your dog chases things please keep them on lead. Be feign responsible dog owners. I'm sure the dog was hurt too but the people were quick to sweep him away before the police came and probably will blame the dog when they were the irresponsible party.

Be careful out there people!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now! Rss Feed  

of 108