BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-10-25 3:01 PM
in reply to: Chunga

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED
For me, I feel rather fortunate that I feel comfortable both on the bike and OWS. I do have a tendency, though, to have one hand on the rear break once I approach 40 mph, though I've gotten far more confident going downhill this summer. I notice that my friend ends just seems a little 'squirrely' once I get moving that fast.

I took swim lessons every summer from age 4 until I was 12 (only learned to breaststroke, crawl, sidestroke and some sort of modified backstroke), and I was a SCUBA diver in my 20s, and have logged 100s of dives in a variety of locations (Pacific Northwest where you couldn't see the Ling Cod until they were 12 inches from your face, Belize, Southern Cal with it's 'grab on to you' kelp, and hours and hours in freshwater lakes). I'm sure that that has helped my comfort level with regards to open water swimming.

I have yet to experience true madness at a swim start, though...so once I get kicked, shoved, and pushed under water by someone else, that may change for me. I hope not. When I get tired or start to question my confidence in the water, I regain my composure quickly with 30 seconds of breast stroke.

If I had to choose one over the other, right now I'd say that downhill speed on the bike is more uncomfortable than OWS.

2013-10-25 5:47 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
South Alabama

Well, my weekend training plan has changed. I'm running a local 5K in the morning. UGH! I have not done a running only race in almost 3 years. After breaking 20, barely, in my last 5K I swore I would never do another. The race is on a route I run all the time and for a good cause so what the hell. Since I just decided to do the race today I have not really tapered. Fortunately, this has been a low intensity week for the most part. I know it will hurt and am at a loss as to how to pace since all of my runs the last few years have been at the end of a tri. I have a pretty good idea what I should pace for 5K/10k/HIM in a tri. I'm thinking going out about 15 sec/mile slower than my goal pace for the first 1/2 to 3/4 mile then build to goal pace or a bit faster through 2 miles and let it all hang out over the last 1.1 mile. When I mentioned the race to my Coach his advice was: "Go for it.......just make sure you're puking at the end and it'll be a successful race"  With that kind of encouragement I'm sure to have a good day If I had to guess I'll be somewhere between 19:15 and 21:00. Looks like great running weather with morning temps around 50!

Good luck to everyone racing. Jamie, you will crush your time from last year. I'm predicting 1:43 

2013-10-26 7:58 AM
in reply to: #4724546

User image

I'm running a 10k tonight (Broad Street Ramble) with my sister. It's a 'fun' type run (though I'm pushing for a certain goal), and I will be the 'devil in a blue dress.' I'm not sure how much my pitchfork is going to slow me down.
2013-10-26 9:04 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Randy,

It wouldn't surprise me at all if you obliterate that 19:15 predicted time. You are crazy fast and not having to swim and bike before is going to leave you with some serious energy to burn up over 5K.

I have still been struggling a bit with my training. Still dragging and not feeling quite "right." I am getting on the trainer in a bit and going to try to bust through my doldrums. We will see how it goes.
2013-10-26 10:41 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
South Alabama

Well, 5K's still suck. Made it through with a 19:26. Probably could have been a bit better with better pacing but can't complain. First mile I was 6:05 but it was gradual downhill. Second mile was 6:20 with rolling hills. Third mile was mostly uphill and it hurt me. Beautiful morning. Probably the best thing was I won $125 as the "fastest" attorney. Clearly, that is a low bar but the race was sponsored by a local firm and they put up cash prizes for the top 3 attorneys/judges. I'm thinking that $125 needs to go directly in the "Randy wants a road bike fund". Suspect my wife will have other plans. 

Now, as we all do, I'm wondering if I can improve on that time. Does my creaky body have a sub 19 in it at some point?  Then I would retire, again, from 5k's.

2013-10-26 10:43 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by glfprncs I'm running a 10k tonight (Broad Street Ramble) with my sister. It's a 'fun' type run (though I'm pushing for a certain goal), and I will be the 'devil in a blue dress.' I'm not sure how much my pitchfork is going to slow me down.

Good stuff. Have fun and hope you hit your goal!

2013-10-26 12:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Randy-Great job on the 5K time, even though I know you wanted to do better. I'm still crazy impressed with that time; the 20-minute barrier is a magical thing!

My HM race went really this morning; I can't remember my official result, and they're not on the internet yet, but my Garmin put me at 1:39:11! That's a pretty big improvement from last year, and a time that I didn't even think was possible even 6 months ago. It was definitely an all-out effort, and my legs are hurting PRETTY badly right now, but just normal soreness, nothing torn or broken. Nate did really well, too; I think he beat me by about 30-40 secs. I actually saw him finish ahead of me. Oh, I almost forgot to mention...it was sooooo cold! I just want to lie around and be warm for a little while now!
Man, still can't believe I broke the 1:40 mark. I'll admit that I'm a little fast now Not world class, or anything, but not terribly slow. I'll post more details, RR, etc. later, now it's time to take the dog for a walk and then sit around with my legs up! I hope everyone is having a great weekend; it looks like nice weather once it warms up!
2013-10-26 12:59 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by WoodrowCall Randy-Great job on the 5K time, even though I know you wanted to do better. I'm still crazy impressed with that time; the 20-minute barrier is a magical thing! My HM race went really this morning; I can't remember my official result, and they're not on the internet yet, but my Garmin put me at 1:39:11! That's a pretty big improvement from last year, and a time that I didn't even think was possible even 6 months ago. It was definitely an all-out effort, and my legs are hurting PRETTY badly right now, but just normal soreness, nothing torn or broken. Nate did really well, too; I think he beat me by about 30-40 secs. I actually saw him finish ahead of me. Oh, I almost forgot to mention...it was sooooo cold! I just want to lie around and be warm for a little while now! Man, still can't believe I broke the 1:40 mark. I'll admit that I'm a little fast now Not world class, or anything, but not terribly slow. I'll post more details, RR, etc. later, now it's time to take the dog for a walk and then sit around with my legs up! I hope everyone is having a great weekend; it looks like nice weather once it warms up!

Jamie-you blew away my prediction! Excellent work.  May want to think about a little active recovery after a hard effort. I just did 30 min really easy on the trainer and the legs feel better.  Well on your way to that BQ!

2013-10-26 1:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
South Alabama

The link below is to a site where you can input a recent running race result and it will give you an "estimate" of your time for races at other distances. Also calculates different training paces for easy, tempo, threshold, intervals etc. Kind of fun to play with. I'm sure many of the long time runners are familar with this site but thought I would post it. Second link is the calculator.

http://www.runbayou.com/index.htmt

.http://www.runbayou.com/jackd.htm

Edited by slornow 2013-10-26 1:27 PM
2013-10-27 7:27 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by slornow

Well, 5K's still suck. Made it through with a 19:26. Probably could have been a bit better with better pacing but can't complain. First mile I was 6:05 but it was gradual downhill. Second mile was 6:20 with rolling hills. Third mile was mostly uphill and it hurt me. Beautiful morning. Probably the best thing was I won $125 as the "fastest" attorney. Clearly, that is a low bar but the race was sponsored by a local firm and they put up cash prizes for the top 3 attorneys/judges. I'm thinking that $125 needs to go directly in the "Randy wants a road bike fund". Suspect my wife will have other plans. 

Now, as we all do, I'm wondering if I can improve on that time. Does my creaky body have a sub 19 in it at some point?  Then I would retire, again, from 5k's.

Ha-Ha!  Great job!

Jamie--awesome job on the half!

2013-10-27 1:47 PM

User image

Went out too fast in my 10K last night...that coupled with the fact that it was at 5:30 and I was wearing a dress and carrying a devil's pitchfork slowed me down! Regardless, I still ran a 9:40 pace, which is a heck of a lot faster than I'd been running all summer. Not the run I wanted, but still under an hour, so I won't complain. Have another 10K the end of November and another beginning of December. Then it's time to start increasing miles for a late Feb. 1/2 marathon.

Look who I ran into last night at the race! Forest is fast...ran his race in 37 minutes (and came in 2nd). He said those shoes were NOT enjoyable to run in.

Edited by glfprncs 2013-10-27 1:48 PM

(Run forest.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Run forest.jpg (83KB - 6 downloads)

2013-10-27 2:05 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Wow! The great results from everyone in this group keep coming in You guys are rock stars.

Love the picture of Forest Gump running. I may have my Halloween costume figured out from that picture... Except I don't traditionally wear a costume.

I thought of another race to add to my bucket list:

Norseman Extreme.

That is one that my wife would really have to be on board for as she would likely be my support crew. If you have finished that race you are really among a select few.

Fears...... I literally was not sure that I would make it out if the water when I did my first triathlon. My confidence in my swim was that low. I noticed last year that my fear of the triathlon swim had disappeared. Nothing like swimming 400,000 yards a year for three consecutive years to build confidence. Now I am afraid of the pain and how I will react to it. I know that every race, no matter the distance, is going to get very uncomfortable at some point in time. I am not so much afraid of the pain as I am of how I might react to it. It goes along with trying to be mentally strong enough to keep going even if it hurts. That is truly what keeps me up at night, how to be mentally strong when I am feeling physically weak
2013-10-27 2:48 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
My wife read that last post and said, "nothing keeps you up at night."

I think that is a not so subtle dig at the fact that I have a hard time staying up past 9:30 when I am getting up at 4:30 AM to train. It is getting harder to burn the candle at both ends..... That is one of the few differences I see between being 26 and 42. The lack of rest/sleep is not as well tolerated (at least by me).
2013-10-27 3:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
I love that Forrest picture!
My RR is up, if you're interested in reading about the race: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

Legs are hurting today, but just normal aching. I'll probably take tomorrow off, and then start the BQ training on Tuesday or Wednesday!

Edited by WoodrowCall 2013-10-27 3:27 PM
2013-10-27 4:33 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
Great race results everyone, as far as fears go I'm typically very comfortable in the water and on the bike, but crashing during a descent is always in the back of my mind. I took advantage of the half off membership sale and am back on a plan, first long run in a while today and it felt good. I'm signed up for a 10K thanksgiving morning so that should be fun. Shoulder feels good so back to the pool this week with the docs blessing.
2013-10-28 8:22 AM
in reply to: mrajki

User image

Master
South Alabama

Mike-glad the neck is better. Sorry that means back to swimming

Well, just as it happened when I did my previous 5K almost three years ago I have felt like I've been hit by a truck the last 2 days. Quads are beyond sore and I'm just really sluggish. I feel so much more exhausted than I did after any of my triathlons this year including the HIMs and at Nationals where I raced back to back days. I warmed up really well before the 5K and did a cool down after but man I'm still dragging today. Swim and easy run scheduled today....maybe that will help with recovery.

On the www.runbayou.com site I mentioned earlier you can get an "age graded" comparison of a current race time to efforts at different ages and the "open" category. I was joking with my son that I might be "age graded" faster than he is. Looks like a 19:26 5K for a 51 year old male would calculate to a 17:13 in the open age bracket. Suffice it to say I am nowhere close to him. Does make my 30 year PR a little more meaningful to me. I ran a 19:20 30 years ago. At this point I'm looking for anything to make me think the 5K was worth it given how I currently feel.

Have a good week everyone.

2013-10-28 8:33 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by wannabefaster ..... I literally was not sure that I would make it out if the water when I did my first triathlon. My confidence in my swim was that low. I noticed last year that my fear of the triathlon swim had disappeared. Nothing like swimming 400,000 yards a year for three consecutive years to build confidence. Now I am afraid of the pain and how I will react to it. I know that every race, no matter the distance, is going to get very uncomfortable at some point in time. I am not so much afraid of the pain as I am of how I might react to it. It goes along with trying to be mentally strong enough to keep going even if it hurts. That is truly what keeps me up at night, how to be mentally strong when I am feeling physically weak

I think this is great! I have not thought about the "fear" of any one aspect of the race in those terms but I think it is exactly why I am so anxious/nervous heading into every race. Like you, my comfort level is better in the swim. The fear of how I will deal with the rough spots/pain when it comes, and it always comes, in a race is always the big question.  Well said. Definitely an eye opener for me as I think about this.

Edited by slornow 2013-10-28 8:34 AM
2013-10-28 2:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Great results from everyone...again. I am so jealous.

As a fishy it is nice to read that some of you are getting over your fear of the swim. Having been hit twice this year I think it will be a while before I am comfortable at high speeds on the bike. It won't stop me from training but on the downhills I may be little quicker on the brakes.

On the topic of getting hit, tomorrow morning bright and early I go back into the hospital to get my damaged hip replaced. At least I hope they replace that one. Should be in the hospital 3 days then 6-8 weeks before I can resume 'normal' activities. I can do light indoor riding and swimming in about two weeks if I feel up to it. Then somewhere around 16 weeks out I can begin training, cognizant of the fact that I may be starting further back then I would like.

I hope everyone has a great Halloween.
2013-10-28 2:17 PM

User image

Champion

I can't remember if I mentioned this or not, but I have a friend who's brother (Jeff Glasbrenner) did Norseman this year.  He is a below the knee amputee and the first challenged athlete to complete it.  She said the course was absolutely crazy hard, but gorgeous.  You have to bring your own sherpas since the course is completely unsupported.  Jeff had to make several leg changes based on terrain.  At one point, he fell off his bike and it took him an hour to get back on it given his disability  Now that's a challenge.  

2013-10-28 2:19 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Stuartap Great results from everyone...again. I am so jealous. As a fishy it is nice to read that some of you are getting over your fear of the swim. Having been hit twice this year I think it will be a while before I am comfortable at high speeds on the bike. It won't stop me from training but on the downhills I may be little quicker on the brakes. On the topic of getting hit, tomorrow morning bright and early I go back into the hospital to get my damaged hip replaced. At least I hope they replace that one. Should be in the hospital 3 days then 6-8 weeks before I can resume 'normal' activities. I can do light indoor riding and swimming in about two weeks if I feel up to it. Then somewhere around 16 weeks out I can begin training, cognizant of the fact that I may be starting further back then I would like. I hope everyone has a great Halloween.

I'll be sending positive thoughts your way tomorrow!

2013-10-28 2:46 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Master
South Alabama

Stuart-hope all goes well tomorrow.

2013-10-28 3:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Knowing I was going in to the hospital tomorrow my Dad sent me this. Thought you guys might enjoy it.

Kevin walked into a doctor's office and the receptionist asked him what he had. Kevin said: 'Shingles.' So she wrote down his name, address, medical insurance number and told him to have a seat.

Fifteen minutes later a nurse's aide came out and asked Kevin what he had....Kevin said, 'Shingles.' So she wrote down his height, weight, a complete medical history and told Kevin to wait in the examining room.

A half hour later a nurse came in and asked Kevin what he had. Kevin said, 'Shingles..' So the nurse gave Kevin a blood test, a blood pressure test, an electrocardiogram, and told Kevin to take off all his clothes and wait for the doctor.

An hour later the doctor came in and found Kevin sitting patiently in the nude and asked Kevin what he had. Kevin said, 'Shingles.' The doctor asked, 'Where?'

Kevin said, 'Outside on the truck. Where do you want me to unload 'em??'
2013-10-28 3:42 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by Stuartap

Knowing I was going in to the hospital tomorrow my Dad sent me this. Thought you guys might enjoy it.

Kevin walked into a doctor's office and the receptionist asked him what he had. Kevin said: 'Shingles.' So she wrote down his name, address, medical insurance number and told him to have a seat.

Fifteen minutes later a nurse's aide came out and asked Kevin what he had....Kevin said, 'Shingles.' So she wrote down his height, weight, a complete medical history and told Kevin to wait in the examining room.

A half hour later a nurse came in and asked Kevin what he had. Kevin said, 'Shingles..' So the nurse gave Kevin a blood test, a blood pressure test, an electrocardiogram, and told Kevin to take off all his clothes and wait for the doctor.

An hour later the doctor came in and found Kevin sitting patiently in the nude and asked Kevin what he had. Kevin said, 'Shingles.' The doctor asked, 'Where?'

Kevin said, 'Outside on the truck. Where do you want me to unload 'em??'

LOL!!

Good luck tomorrow. Maybe get a sharpie tonight and write on yourself "THIS HIP! NO SHINGLES!"
2013-10-28 4:53 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

Stuart

Good luck tomorrow.
2013-10-28 6:46 PM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Stuartap Knowing I was going in to the hospital tomorrow my Dad sent me this. Thought you guys might enjoy it. Kevin walked into a doctor's office and the receptionist asked him what he had. Kevin said: 'Shingles.' So she wrote down his name, address, medical insurance number and told him to have a seat. Fifteen minutes later a nurse's aide came out and asked Kevin what he had....Kevin said, 'Shingles.' So she wrote down his height, weight, a complete medical history and told Kevin to wait in the examining room. A half hour later a nurse came in and asked Kevin what he had. Kevin said, 'Shingles..' So the nurse gave Kevin a blood test, a blood pressure test, an electrocardiogram, and told Kevin to take off all his clothes and wait for the doctor. An hour later the doctor came in and found Kevin sitting patiently in the nude and asked Kevin what he had. Kevin said, 'Shingles.' The doctor asked, 'Where?' Kevin said, 'Outside on the truck. Where do you want me to unload 'em??'

Love the attitude!  Be well.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88