BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tri_sport19's Group - FULL (for now) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2009-02-24 9:42 AM
in reply to: #1869304

Subject: RE: tri_sport19's Group - FULL (for now)

I'm so bummed!  I just checked the website to try to register for the sprint tri I had planned to do in May.  Turns out they cancelled the race and replaced it with one in June, but my brother is getting married that same day. 

Looks like my first race will be in August.  I'll have to see if there are any other races sooner than that.  Has anyone traveled for a race?  Something farther than being able to drive to the race that morning? 

2009-02-24 10:24 PM
in reply to: #1978940

User image

Regular
Miami Fl
No really. My first tri was hour and a half from my house and I don't recommend you something like that for your first time. I had to wake up so early, eat something and be ready to drive.
You will be nervous & anxious. Try to find any race close to you the first time. You ca check here in BT or www.active.com (check the races in your area) or in your local bike shop (normally they have information).
hopefully this help you.
                               ANDRES

2009-02-25 8:29 AM
in reply to: #1978780

User image

Regular
Miami Fl

Hi Rymac:

Could you tell me more about your garmin 305 ( I'm planning to get one of those soon).You can use it during the swimming to calculate distance,speed,calories,etc? And for cycling you need the cadence kit ? or the GPS can show you the speed,distance,etc.

I would like to have any feedback before to buy it. Also I saw the 405 but I guess for the price and functions with the 305 is more than enough. Any information that you can give me will be very helpful.

Thank you in advance ANDRES

Edited by ampryler 2009-02-25 8:45 AM
2009-02-25 3:06 PM
in reply to: #1980836

User image

Veteran
ampryler - 2009-02-25 8:29 AM

Hi Rymac:

Could you tell me more about your garmin 305 ( I'm planning to get one of those soon).You can use it during the swimming to calculate distance,speed,calories,etc? And for cycling you need the cadence kit ? or the GPS can show you the speed,distance,etc.

I would like to have any feedback before to buy it. Also I saw the 405 but I guess for the price and functions with the 305 is more than enough. Any information that you can give me will be very helpful.

Andres:

I have the 305 and love it. For a training tool for biking and running, it is awesome. You cannot swim with the 305 but you can with the 405. You can get the cadence tool that tells you your cadence on your bike for around 50 i think it is. it is realy good for triathlons too because they make it easy to set it up and record your transitions, bike, and run data. The nice thing is the 305 is down to $150 online, and thats how i got mine, but it is a great training tool. hope that helps a little.

2009-02-25 3:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York

In regards to travelling for a race, I've seen my share of the road! Outside of local event (up to an hour drive time), I've made a 6 hour drive and a 10 hour flight to races, as well as some shorter drives (2-3 hours). I would recommend that any travel taking more than 1.5 hours be done at least the day before the event. If you're crossing timezones, give yourself a few days to "catch-up" with the time.

If I'm driving to an event I typically put my bike in the car which only involves removing the front wheel. Packing your bike in a bike box is fairly easy if someone shows you how to do it. Most bike shops will pack it for you, and you can usually find  local shop to reassemble your bike if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. Be sure to mark things like your seatpost, handlebars, etc if you take the bike apart so you can get them back to the exact spot they need to be.

Triathlon Technology - bike computers come in all shapes and sizes. I currently use a PowerTap on my TT bike and a Cateye V2 Wireless on my road bike.  I also wear a Polar HR monitor with wrist unit to track my HR while I race. 

2009-02-26 9:06 AM
in reply to: #1978940

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
kiknmo - 2009-02-24 7:42 AM

I'm so bummed!  I just checked the website to try to register for the sprint tri I had planned to do in May.  Turns out they cancelled the race and replaced it with one in June, but my brother is getting married that same day. 

Looks like my first race will be in August.  I'll have to see if there are any other races sooner than that.  Has anyone traveled for a race?  Something farther than being able to drive to the race that morning? 

That sucks.  My sprint tri on March 8th was moved up by a month which was a drag because I was hoping to have more time to train.  I only drove an hour to my first tri and will drive about the same for this next one (my second).  Good luck finding one that works for you.

2009-02-26 11:52 AM
in reply to: #1981749

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
jabraunski - 2009-02-25 4:06 PM
ampryler - 2009-02-25 8:29 AM

Hi Rymac:

Andres:

I have the 305 and love it. For a training tool for biking and running, it is awesome. You cannot swim with the 305 but you can with the 405. You can get the cadence tool that tells you your cadence on your bike for around 50 i think it is. it is realy good for triathlons too because they make it easy to set it up and record your transitions, bike, and run data. The nice thing is the 305 is down to $150 online, and thats how i got mine, but it is a great training tool. hope that helps a little.

I got my Garmin for $159 at Costco and the cadence kit for $38 at buy.com.  You can get really cheap cycling computers like the cateye and others for cheaper.  I got the 305 as I started to get more serious about training and using some of the training protocols based on HR.   It is a very addicting advice and gives you alot of useful information for both the bike and run.  The majority of people on the board prefer the 305 to the 405 and you can search the forums for that info on the pros/cons.  I am not planning to use the device in a race except for maybe on the bike.  I never look at my wristwatch during races and just go by RPE but everybody's different.  Good luck!

Ryan

2009-02-26 9:51 PM
in reply to: #1983600

User image

Regular
Miami Fl

Thank you jabraunski and Ryan for the advice.

I saw the 305 on ebay,amazon & also costco but I already have an TIMEX IRONMAN HR but anyway I want to update this one shortly that's why I'm asking about GPS. I'm also have a cateye cycle computer, the micro wireless model ( but with no cadence). I saw that everybody is training with RPM and I have no idea how calculate that when I'm training just with speed.

On March I will take the LT test and start training with HR zones. Thanks again it was helpful I'll check more about 305 & 405 models  in the forums to learn a little more.

ANDRES

Edited by ampryler 2009-03-02 9:37 PM
2009-02-26 9:53 PM
in reply to: #1983600

User image

Regular
Miami Fl

Thank you jabraunski and Ryan for the advice.

I saw the 305 on ebay,amazon & also costco but I already have an TIMEX IRONMAN HR but anyway I want to update this one shortly that's why I'm asking about GPS. I'm also have a cateye cycle computer, the micro wireless model ( but with no cadence). I saw that everybody is training with RPM and I have no idea how calculate that when I'm training just with speed.

On March I will take the LT test and start training with HR zones. Thanks again it was helpful I'll check more about 305 & 405 models  in the forums to learn a little more.

ANDRES

Edited by ampryler 2009-03-02 9:37 PM
2009-03-03 2:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Got in my first OWS over the weekend, holy cow that was wacky.  I struggled to breathe the whole time, kept getting all kinds of water in my nose, felt like the wetsuit was too constrictive on my arms, was thrown off by the wake and not being able to see the bottom.  But besides that I do feel more confident having been in a lake now and I think will have calmer nerves for this Sunday.  I am starting to get nervous/excited for race day.
2009-03-03 3:01 PM
in reply to: #1994666

It's a good thing you got a swim in before you race. Was this your first time swimming in the wetsuit? How about first time swimming in a lake/ocean? 

2009-03-03 6:00 PM
in reply to: #1994697

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
NYC_Meg - 2009-03-03 1:01 PM

It's a good thing you got a swim in before you race. Was this your first time swimming in the wetsuit? How about first time swimming in a lake/ocean?

For sure, I have read all over BT that it is a good idea to get in an OWS before the race and I am so glad that I did that now.  It was my first time in the suit, it is a rental so I kind of feel like it is too small.  I watched their video on how to put it on and I think I am doing it right, but my arms seemed to really be held back.  Yep, first time in the open water, this was in a lake, I cannot even fathom what the ocean would be like with the big surf.

2009-03-06 3:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York

sorry I haven't been around too much lately everyone, this is my first week with the new job so it's been a bit hectic. Please keep the questions coming!

As for OWS, my feeling is that there's no such thing as too much OWS practice!

2009-03-07 6:53 AM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Good luck and have fun with your triathlon on Sunday Justin!!

Is anybody else racing in the next couple weeks, tri's or running races?  I am going to do a half marathon in April before my Oly in May.  It was 65 degrees yesterday in MI, I got a good run in at lunch but really wanted to get outside on the bike and try to dodge the potholes - unfortunately work got in the way.

2009-03-09 2:48 PM

User image

Veteran

My first tri this year is May 7th. Its an olympic for my triathlon class, the swim is indoors which is nice cuz i think it would be too cold for an outdoor in Wisconsin.

Got the bike out on friday and then we had snow on sunday! Yay, the weather just keeps playing with me.

2009-03-09 6:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

I feel for you guys up there in the cold weather.  I have had just awesome training weather lately.  Unfortunately I do live in the desert, so pretty soon I will be complaining how it is too hot to train outside, especially in the middle of the day.

Thanks Ryan, I had an awesome time at my race yesterday.

If you guys have a chance, take a look at my race log for my report on the race.

I am going to start narrowing down my next couple of races now, thinking about a sprint on May 9th, a 10k on May 25th, and the Malibu oly on September 12th.

2009-03-09 9:35 PM

This is so exciting that races are starting!

I've got an Indoor tri championship this weekend. I am very excited to see how I do against the best of the best and to see if I've improved from the first indoor one I did in feb.

I'm also on track for a 1/2 marathon in April. I still can't believe I am doing any of this, last year I thought I was working hard by getting to the gym 3 days a week!

Looking forward to hearing more about all of your races!

2009-03-10 9:29 AM
in reply to: #2007568

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
NYC_Meg - 2009-03-09 7:35 PM

This is so exciting that races are starting!

I've got an Indoor tri championship this weekend. I am very excited to see how I do against the best of the best and to see if I've improved from the first indoor one I did in feb.

I'm also on track for a 1/2 marathon in April. I still can't believe I am doing any of this, last year I thought I was working hard by getting to the gym 3 days a week!

Looking forward to hearing more about all of your races!

Good luck this weekend!  I am sure you will do well.  I hear you on the excitement of getting involved in the races.  I think it is a very gratifying experience to push yourself and accomplish things you never thought possible.

2009-03-12 9:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Bueller.....Bueller.....Bueller........
2009-03-13 4:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

Here are my bikes.  What do you guys have?  Let's see some pics.

The Trek 3900 was my first bike.  Was not sure if I wanted to road or mountain.  Went with this and put the slicks on.  I did not care for the road too much when I started and ended up MTB a bunch and really liked that.  Spent $450 on this one including the slicks and pedals.

(3900 4x6.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
3900 4x6.jpg (93KB - 12 downloads)
2009-03-13 5:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Here is my Specialized FSRxc Comp.  Was doing a lot of MTB so I spent the $1500 to get this beauty.  Went out with only 50 miles on it and broke my collar bone.  My wife was thrilled.  Doc says I should wait another couple months to get back on the trails, can't wait. 

(fsr1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
fsr1.jpg (93KB - 11 downloads)

2009-03-13 5:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Here is my new fav.  Since I got into triathlon I have come to love road riding. 

(allez1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
allez1.jpg (88KB - 9 downloads)
2009-03-16 4:08 PM
in reply to: #2016703

User image

Regular
Miami Fl

cjhild - 2009-03-13 6:03 PM Here is my Specialized FSRxc Comp.  Was doing a lot of MTB so I spent the $1500 to get this beauty.  Went out with only 50 miles on it and broke my collar bone.  My wife was thrilled.  Doc says I should wait another couple months to get back on the trails, can't wait. 

Ohhhh man that hurts !!!!! a broken bone. I was doing mountain bike for almost 2 years and for this reason I don't do it anymore. I dont want to get out of triathlons. Here you have a pictures of my ex (mountain bike) I trade it for the road bike and I did some updates on this one before start racing.

(MOUNTAIN BIKE 007 COPY.jpg)

(SPECIALIZED ALLEZ.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
MOUNTAIN BIKE 007 COPY.jpg (95KB - 11 downloads)
SPECIALIZED ALLEZ.jpg (92KB - 13 downloads)
2009-03-16 4:29 PM
in reply to: #2021380

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

I dont want to get out of triathlons.

I know, I really want to get back out on the trails and use my MTB, but I am conflicted with my races coming up, I do not want to injure myself again.

I really like your Allez, what kind of wheels are those?

2009-03-16 5:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York

Hey everyone...I'm glad to see you're all doing well! I hope everyone is feeling well prepared for the start of their season (we've already seen some great races from our group!). As the season progresses we're going to learn a ton from the first hand experiences of our peers and we'll also stir up some more questions.

I apologize again for my recent absence from the board! I'm going to do my best to post between my morning workout and the start of my workday. Let me know if there are any burning questions out there!

p.s. NICE BIKES!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tri_sport19's Group - FULL (for now) Rss Feed  

of 9