BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's Tri-ing to get ready for an IM (and a sprint, and an olympic, and some running) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2012-06-21 11:05 AM
in reply to: #4129044

User image

Subject: RE: Eli's Tri-ing to get ready for an IM (and a sprint, and an olympic, and some running) OPEN

checking in...sounds like everyone has been busy. i just finished my second build cycle and rode my furthest distance to date...84 miles. after the ride i emailed my coach asking if you ever hit the point where you could even *imagine* running after these long rides. there was no way i had a marathon in me after that ride on saturday! i think this recovery week came at the right time. i'm moody and tired...signs i needed a little recovery. i better rest up though because july is a doozy.

it's so blazin hot here! hope it cools off for everyone before any races this wknd!!

2012-06-21 3:17 PM
in reply to: #4273468

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Eli's Tri-ing to get ready for an IM (and a sprint, and an olympic, and some running) OPEN
DCT76 - 2012-06-21 11:05 AM

checking in...sounds like everyone has been busy. i just finished my second build cycle and rode my furthest distance to date...84 miles. after the ride i emailed my coach asking if you ever hit the point where you could even *imagine* running after these long rides. there was no way i had a marathon in me after that ride on saturday! i think this recovery week came at the right time. i'm moody and tired...signs i needed a little recovery. i better rest up though because july is a doozy.

it's so blazin hot here! hope it cools off for everyone before any races this wknd!!

You do get to the point where you feel you can run. Not necessarily well, but you can run. I know that in one of my HIMs and both IM distance races I was SOOoooo happy to get off the bike that I ran too fast for the first mile or two.

2012-06-24 5:22 PM
in reply to: #4273408

Rochester

Well, that was a blast and a half!! :D  I'm a believer!!

Goals:

1. Have fun.  TOTALLY did!  I actually do-si-doed with someone on the run course! All smiles!

Swim: Less than 45:00.  Actually pulled a sub 42:00.   Was crazy tight in many spots.  Someone almost swam over top of me.  People can be stupid.

Bike: Less than 3:45.  Came in at 3:36-something

Run: Less than 3:00. Came in at (I think) 2:36.  I think this is my 3rd best half marathon time.

Had a blast!!  Ready for the next one (which I have yet to pick out and sign up for...).

Anne

2012-06-25 11:08 AM
in reply to: #4277812

User image

Master
annec - 2012-06-24 5:22 PM

Well, that was a blast and a half!! :D  I'm a believer!!

Goals:

1. Have fun.  TOTALLY did!  I actually do-si-doed with someone on the run course! All smiles!

Swim: Less than 45:00.  Actually pulled a sub 42:00.   Was crazy tight in many spots.  Someone almost swam over top of me.  People can be stupid.

Bike: Less than 3:45.  Came in at 3:36-something

Run: Less than 3:00. Came in at (I think) 2:36.  I think this is my 3rd best half marathon time.

Had a blast!!  Ready for the next one (which I have yet to pick out and sign up for...).

Anne

Anne,

Way to go!! That is awesome. Congratulations on a great race.

How are your muscles feeling today?

2012-06-25 4:33 PM
in reply to: #4278955

Rochester
Feel a little bit sore, but manageable.  In no way, shape, or form do I hurt as much as I do after a marathon!!Laughing
2012-06-26 7:05 AM
in reply to: #4279757

User image

Master

annec - 2012-06-25 4:33 PM Feel a little bit sore, but manageable.  In no way, shape, or form do I hurt as much as I do after a marathon!!Laughing

I know, isn't that crazy! I tell people that all the time. Although I have to say, a full marathon may be tougher on the body, but prepping for a half ironman is a much harder proposition, and running one is more mentally taxing, until you start running.

2012-06-26 12:57 PM

User image

Master

Whew,

Fatigue is setting in. 6 weeks in, I have been doing well, although I am not feeling that my biking is as strong as it should be.

Only minor customization to the plan based on life happening. Looking forward to a race rehersal ride (6 hours or 112 miles) on Saturday.

Swam a solid 2 miles in the pool today. Supposed to do 2.4 on Friday.

2012-06-28 10:52 AM

User image

Master

Hey Party People!!!

Hope everyone is well. I know some of you are struggling with injuries and life. Remember, every day is another chance to be healthy!!!

Got in my long run today. 2:17 minutes- 14 miles. 9:47 average pace. that makes me happy.....

I ran without eating first today, which I haven't done in a while. My run started out easy for 30 minutes, and I didn't have my first gel until about 45 minutes in.

Although I had some fatigue/heavy leg feelings, I did pretty well with my tempo miles in the middle, and never had that "foggy brain" feeling that I sometimes get on longer workouts.

Of course, I was HUNGRY, but I can usually cope with that.

Planning on riding a century on Saturday. it has been a while, so it should be interesting.

2012-07-01 8:22 AM

User image

Master

Hey All!!!

How is the weekend treating you?

I managed to get in my first century ride in a while. While it wasn't my fastest, it was probably the best I felt at the end of a ride in a while.

I ran 3 of the bike, which also felt great, although I needed to go a little slower than I did.

Overall, a great training day.

2012-07-05 9:45 AM

User image

Master

Whew,

How was your 4th?

I was convinced to do one of the local sprint tri's. It was actually a lot of fun. I wasn't quite as fast as I wanted to be. In fact, I was slower than I was on the same course two years ago, which is sort of a kick in the rear.

However, I felt pretty good with my performance, at least from a technical, how to run your race, perspective.

On the othe rside of the coin, I have been slacking this week with my training, although a lot of that relates to having sunday off, which was on my plan.

However, I haven't been swimming as much as I should, so I need to get back on track here in my last 5 weeks.

I did manage to get up and do my long run this morning. New record for me-I lost 14 lbs in 2 1/2 hours of running. That probably explains why I was so tired and not running well at the end.

2012-07-05 2:35 PM
in reply to: #4295215

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
eliwashere - 2012-07-04 10:45 AM

Whew,

I did manage to get up and do my long run this morning. New record for me-I lost 14 lbs in 2 1/2 hours of running. That probably explains why I was so tired and not running well at the end.

Holy cow Eli! That's some serious change.

How did the century go?

2012-07-07 2:40 PM

User image

Master

Century last week went really well.

Not much training this week, although I got a good long run and long bike, as well as a 2.4 mile swim since Thursday.

2012-07-08 11:38 AM

Hi guys! I noticed this forum still says "open" in the subject line? Is this true? I would like to join if possible. I just reviewed the 20 week beginners program for a full ironman on this site. My first ironman is exactly 20wks from now (IronMan Cozumel in November 2012) and am looking for guidance. I'm a 30yr old male in New York City and work as an registered nurse for our nation's veterans. I have no formal training in any of the triathlon disciplines but I have ran a few marathons and ultramarathons. I have also just comp,eyed my first sprint distance tri last weekend and look to do one Olympic size and one half ironman before IronMan Cozumel. Cheers to everyone and their training!!
2012-07-08 11:40 AM

Oh, and my name is Derek. I forgot to mention that in the above. I really do hope there is room for one more. I would to get some support on this journey and would love to share my experiences (past, present, and future) with you all.
-Derek
2012-07-09 8:25 AM
in reply to: #4299865

User image

Master

12emember - 2012-07-08 11:40 AM Oh, and my name is Derek. I forgot to mention that in the above. I really do hope there is room for one more. I would to get some support on this journey and would love to share my experiences (past, present, and future) with you all.
-Derek

Derek,

You are more than welcome to join. I didn't even realize it still said open!

I did Cozumel in 2010 as my first race and thought it was great. We also have another NYer in the group.

I am going to be in NY for IM NY/NJ in August as well.

2012-07-09 8:27 AM

User image

Master

Hey All,

How goes it? 

As I was reviewing my logs from last week, I was thinking I had been a slacker. I skipped a bunch of swims, a short run and didn't think I had trained that much.

Turns out I did 10 hours, which is plenty!!!

Also, rode on Sunday with my race wheels and they are WAY faster than my training wheels. I am thinking about going out to test them today with a powermeter just to see the differences.

Any updates?

2012-07-09 9:20 AM
in reply to: #4300860

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine

It's funny - 10 hours a week is A.L.O.T! But when you look at the individual components, it can seem smaller.

I finished my HIM mid June, and really enjoyed it. So much so that the following week, I signed up for another at the beginning of September - I'm hoping I'll be able to come in a bit faster the second time around now that I know I can complete the distance. I also have really enjoyed the volume of training - it's a lot, but not so much that I'm letting my personal life suffer (yet). That being said - I can't fathom a full distance event. I had originally planned to do sprints the first year, oly's the second, HIM's the third with IMs the fourth...I'm now on the third year and I think I'll need another year at this distance before I can consider the full distance.

One of the nice things about completing the distance is now I *know* I can...it's just a matter of improving my time. It's a good place for me to be. Now - to just get faster Smile.

Good luck Eli on the IMNY - it sounds great, I'll be looking forward to reading your race report!

2012-07-12 9:30 AM

User image

Master

Hey there motivators,

How goes the summer? I have been having some decent rides and runs and am getting MOTIVATED about my race on August 11th.

A little nervous about the hills, but planning on doing some hill work this week to help catch up a little. Won't be my fastest bike, but should be OK.

Any news for you all?

2012-07-13 8:20 AM
in reply to: #4307626

Rochester
Eeek...first century tomorrow! Wish me luck! Any advice?
2012-07-13 10:38 AM
in reply to: #4309492

User image

Master

annec - 2012-07-13 8:20 AM Eeek...first century tomorrow! Wish me luck! Any advice?

Anne, is it solo or with a group?

Ride easy for the first hour or two. Ease into it. Make sure you eat well, a little at a time, from the start. 

Will there be stops, or are you riding through?

2012-07-13 10:40 AM

User image

Master

Hey All,

So, as the weekend approaches, I am closing in on the tail end of my IM training.

This weekend and next are my last two "big" weekends.

I have to say, I woke up today feeling like an "Ironman" for the first time in a while.

What I mean is that now, about 4 weeks out, I am starting to feel comfortable with my training and fitness. I have a little more work to do, and then some maintenance, but I am in good shape-prep wise.

Are there things I wish I had done differently up to this point...yes. But at the same time, I have put in some strong training weeks, have been doing OK on my nutrition, and have had some solid training sessions.

So, with any luck, things will continue to go well and I will arrive at the start feeling good.

Of course, after a 4:30 ride on Saturday and 3 hours on Sunday, I may be crying for my mommy. We shall see.

2012-07-15 8:32 PM
in reply to: #4309830

Rochester

Rode with a friend.  Went REALLY well!! Maintained a pretty steady pace (although my Garmin had a low battery before the ride even started, so didn't use it - UGH!).  Think it took me about 7 hours, minus the stretch and eat breaks. Got REALLY thirsty right before the lunch stop at 63 miles...drank 7-8 cups of Gatorade at lunch. Have a 32 ounce Camelbak...may look into a 100 ouncer soon...

I woke up a teeny bit sore this morning, but swam a 2000m, and knocked out any remaining soreness this afternoon. 

LOVED the experience!!

2012-07-16 9:08 AM
in reply to: #4312745

User image

Master
annec - 2012-07-15 8:32 PM

Rode with a friend.  Went REALLY well!! Maintained a pretty steady pace (although my Garmin had a low battery before the ride even started, so didn't use it - UGH!).  Think it took me about 7 hours, minus the stretch and eat breaks. Got REALLY thirsty right before the lunch stop at 63 miles...drank 7-8 cups of Gatorade at lunch. Have a 32 ounce Camelbak...may look into a 100 ouncer soon...

I woke up a teeny bit sore this morning, but swam a 2000m, and knocked out any remaining soreness this afternoon. 

LOVED the experience!!

Anne, AWESOME!! Congrats on a great ride. 

2012-07-17 8:42 PM

User image

Master

Hey All,

How goes it?

2012-07-25 6:11 AM

User image

Master

So, another travel week is messing up my training!!

I had an OK training weekend, and a decent 100 mile ride. However, I ended up taking Monday off, and only ran 3 miles yesterday. I am hoping to step it back up later this week.

Maybe I will just take it as an early taper.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's Tri-ing to get ready for an IM (and a sprint, and an olympic, and some running) Rss Feed  

of 10