BT Development Mentor Program Archives » lkagop's Training Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2008-07-31 11:39 PM
in reply to: #1385359

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: So Fresh So Clean's Group - Closed (...ish, send me a pm)
OK, I guess this is dead. Keep in touch with the inspires and OM and I will do the same!

2008-08-01 12:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hi James,

It does seem like hard work to keep it going - will stay in touch via inspires and perhaps lets keep in mind co-creating a new mentor group next time round?

2008-08-01 1:31 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

I am still here too!  I really enjoy reading about everyone's accomplishments.  I hope we can continue what we've started here. 

Go Team Alex!!

2008-08-01 5:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Feeling pretty proud of myself tonight. It is Friday night FRIDAY NIGHT!!!!! and I have just finished a swim and a run (speedwork session).  Usually by Friday night I am done in with not even a passing thought of training but I missed my sessions today and had to make them up.

The pool was full of people - 5 of us in a lane - a first for me. In the past that would have been enough to make me change my mind. Even did a 100m lap (big for me).

The run started out tough going - no legs left after a reasonably big week. Found the 10 minute warm up hardest!! Just hung on till I could start my speed work.  Took me 6 x 1 minute intervals to feel ok so I did 14 intervals in all - shorter recovery than I was supposed to and the treadmill wouldn't go any faster than 18lm/h and it felt slow!!  Best session ever.

Now time for pizza, wine and a movie with hubby and the kids

2008-08-01 7:05 AM
in reply to: #1575182

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

Congratulations on the workout already, mmh.

Thanks to everyone for the recent inspires.  I really appreciate it and will be checking in with you all soon.

2008-08-01 10:52 AM
in reply to: #1575066

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta

jford2309 - 2008-08-01 12:39 AM OK, I guess this is dead. Keep in touch with the inspires and OM and I will do the same!

What are you talking about?  Becasue we're not all on here everyday?  I check this thread for updates all the time.  I just don't have too many interesting things going on.  I'm sort of just truckin along, hoping that all this time I'm putting in shows at the next race (next weekend).  I've also been doing a lot of thinking about my schedule for next year.  What is everyone's plans?  If you've thought about it, of course.  I'm planning a HIM for next fall.  That's the big one.  No IM plans as of right now.  Where do all of you see yourself going with tri?  I'd be interested to hear.

2008-08-01 11:23 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

Let's see...next year's goals.  Haven't put too much thought into it yet, but now would be a good time.  My next step is to do an Oly and eventually an HIM.  Don't really have the desire to get up to a full IM.  I'll need to look at races for next year and figure out whether I could do both in one year.  Or should I work on the Oly only next year then work up to the HIM the following year.  We'll see. 

My biggest weakness is working out over the winter months.  I always lose what I worked hard to gain that year.  I just really don't enjoy working out indoors, but then outdoors is too cold.  I need to find ahappy medium.  I really need to get me an indoor bike trainer.  I think I just get into the holiday mode and really just get super lazy.  I realize I don't need to push too hard over the winter...but just do enough to maintain my level of fitness.  Then come spring I can work on improving again.

I complain about winter, but in Texas we only have 3 seasons: cool, hot, and hotter. 

2008-08-01 11:43 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Wow, one post and we are rolling!!!

I still have 3 races left to do thise season, a tri, a duathlon and a dash and splash race. Then I know I will have surgery on both my feet, have Morton Neuroma's in both feet (so going to get that nerve cut out) So I hope to only be out for 4-6 weeks with that in late Oct or so. Then back to the trainig and having the new baby, then I am doing the same schedule this year becasue now I have a gauge or a mark to beat. So basically my goals are to do a lot better at the same races next year (I will add a race or two I am sure).

2008-08-01 12:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta

Tim - I have the same feelings about winter.  I'm a little worried.  Laziness is addicitive too.  And I've worked too hard this year to let it go downhill.  I'm going to try to use it as working on my skills, and gaining strength.  I think you could do both, its just a matter of how much time you want to put in.  A HIM is a lot more intense than an Oly.  I would start with an Oly in the spring and see how it goes.  If you feel confident after, consider the half.  But a friend of mine told me, the races will always be there.  You don't want to risk injury just to see what you "could" do.  You can probably do a lot, its more of a matter of if you should.  I think a half is a much bigger committment than an oly.

James - when is the baby due. ( I think I forgot).  That's a great plan for next year with all you'll have going on.  I'm going to do some of my same races too, just to see if I'm improving.  And to get revenge on that first one.  That course made me cry, so I have to return the favor. lol.

Glad neither of you are planning on letting it go anytime soon.

2008-08-01 7:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hi guys,

My plans are a bit sooner than next year and the tri season doesn't start here for a few months yet.  Plan for the rest of this year is to complete the Melbourne Marathon half marathon event in Oct and complete a sprint distance tri series.

April I will be running my first full marathon in Paris for my 40th birthday.

I also would like to do an Olympic Distance tri either 2009 or 2010 depending on how my training goes - I struggle to fit in all the training for sprint distance.

Winter training - well it is winter here now and I am proud to say I have been able to stick at it and we now only have 4 weeks left of winter!!.  I have found that if I have plan B's for bike and run I am ok and plan B consists of running on the treadmill when the weather is awful and using the stationary bike or my indoor traininer (don't like this much).

Winter has been particularly harsh this year and lot's of wind which I detest the most.

I have a nice range of skins and other tights along with long sleeve under armour wear and light jackets and this makes the difference because I know even if it is freezing when I start I know I will be warm pretty quick. My other purchase for winter is the best thing I ever bought and that is a pair of lycra type material gloves - my hands used to freeze on my runs and bike and now they are toasty warm

I have also been pretty well, think I have only had one cold this winter - being out in amongst the weather is good for the immune system I think.

Will be my turn to complain about the heat when you guys are suffering through winter

2008-08-05 10:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta

Not to sound like the mentor or anything, but I'm so glad to see you all pacing yourselves and not jumping into an ironman. lol.  I've already had to tell everyone that when I go down to volunteer and IMFL in November, I'm leaving my credit cards and checkbook at home.  I know it's going to try to suck me in. 

mmh- you've been doing great.  I'm so impressed with all you've been doing, especially given the weather.  That's committment. 

And I just had to share...I just average 16.3 mph on my bike yesterday!  I ride this same path all the time and have never been able to average over 16.  What a great feeling to see progress.

2008-08-05 1:04 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

Winter's going to be tough for me, too:  No Y membership!  I'll probably get an indoor trainer and I don't mind running in cold weather, so that takes care of two out of three sports.  I'm going to check into joining a swim team to get pool access that way.

I didn't start my season this year until the end of June.  I held out for a beginner-friendly tri to do as my first.  So, next year, I'll start earlier.  My plan is to do some sprints the first two-thirds of the season and finish with an Oly or 2.  Then, the year after that, do Olys the first two-thirds of the 2010 season and finish with a HIM or 2.  2011?  Ironman Louisville!

2008-08-05 4:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Well done on the bike Jess; it's pretty cool when you finally reach a milestone like that one.

Lora, you are going to be a busy girl next season, some pretty cool goals there.

Yesterday I decided to take a rest day because my body was tired, even sat out taekwondo and watched the kids train - this shocked most people who couldn't quite believe I was being so sensible - old age brings wisdom I told them

Wouldn't you know it I woke my daughter this morning and she is sick so she won't be going to school today which means I probably won't get my training in as I have a committee meeting tonight.  Should have trained yesterday!!

Times like this I have to remind myself that my first tri isn't till November so I don't need to panic if I don't get all of my bike and swim sessions done just yet.

2008-08-06 12:59 PM

User image

Regular
Studio City

Hey Everyone!

I apologize for not keeping up here. Thanks to those of you who have been checking in with me! I appreciate it. I've been extremely busy with work - working late nights and early mornings, so my training has gone to the wayside. Unfortunately, I don't think I've trained enough for my tri coming up in August. There are plenty more though in the season, so I'm no too worried about it.

I also have the bike ride I'll be doing in September. I've been riding more than anything. So, I'm not too concerned. 

I actually did one fun thing though this summer. For my b-day, my husband treated me to me a Yoga / Surf retreat. I had a blast and felt so good afterwards. Surfing is so much fun. I've always wanted to try and surf...I'm hooked!

All of you seem to be doing great! Good luck with everything!

2008-08-06 4:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hi Toni,

Good to see you pop up

Sounds like you have had your hands pretty full with work.

Your retreat sounds fantastic - I grew up near a surf beach and most the kids at school surfed. I did it for a summer and loved it.

2008-08-07 9:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta
Toni - That does sound fantastic!  I've only gotten to try surfing once and I loved it.  I wish I lived closer to the ocean.  Yea, you may want to pick another tri that will give you a little more time.  We wouldn't want you to get injured by taking on too much too fast.  Keep at it though!  You're in good shape, it shouldn't take you too much time.

2008-08-08 8:51 AM
in reply to: #1585588

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
tdemayo - 2008-08-06 1:59 PM

Hey Everyone!

I apologize for not keeping up here. Thanks to those of you who have been checking in with me! I appreciate it. I've been extremely busy with work - working late nights and early mornings, so my training has gone to the wayside. Unfortunately, I don't think I've trained enough for my tri coming up in August. There are plenty more though in the season, so I'm no too worried about it.

I also have the bike ride I'll be doing in September. I've been riding more than anything. So, I'm not too concerned. 

I actually did one fun thing though this summer. For my b-day, my husband treated me to me a Yoga / Surf retreat. I had a blast and felt so good afterwards. Surfing is so much fun. I've always wanted to try and surf...I'm hooked!

All of you seem to be doing great! Good luck with everything!

Hey, Toni.  Glad you're checking in.  If you're not ready for the triathlon, just don't do it.  Your registration is typically not refundable, but it's not worth the money if you're not ready.  See if you can pick up your race packet stuff, though.  A friend of mine couldn't do this tri back in June with me.  She called ahead of time and they let me pick it up for her. 

2008-08-08 11:59 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Alot of time a triathlon will let you push back a year instead of a refund. So you might check and see if you can delay entry a year!
2008-08-08 12:45 PM

User image

Regular
Studio City

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the good advice. I will try and see if I can use my payment for next year. I'm OK with not being able to do the tri this year. I know how much you need to train and I would rather not push it and wind up with an injury. I did that already and it set me back for a year! So, I will train hard now and look to the future!

Yes, the yoga and surfing were awesome. I'm totally hooked on the surfing now. I may go again in a few weeks...I'll fill you in!

In the meantime, I have a 50mile bike ride tomorrow. I'll let you know how that goes.

Have a great weekend everyone!

2008-08-08 1:05 PM

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
Worried about winter training???

Try the crummy-weather challenge in the challenge forum.

New to challenges? Try my battleship-abs challenge.

Or swim... it's easier to do in the winter.
2008-08-08 2:38 PM
in reply to: #1590300

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

Toni, have fun on your bike ride tomorrow!

2008-08-09 1:00 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
So what is everyones plans for the next few weeks/months? 

Thanks for all the msgs about my crash.  The knee and leg have finally closed up enough to begin the workouts again.  First workout today since "the incident" .  I have developed my own training plan.  Going to write down my workout schedule one week in advance.  This way it still gives me flexibility to change things without messing up a full 2-3 month schedule. 

My goal is to do 3 runs a week (2 regular runs and then 1 long one).  The regular ones will then be changed occasionally to include some speed work and/or intervals.  My goal on the long one is to increase it by 1mi every week. 

I will also try to do 3 bike and 3 swims per week.  Thats 9 workouts in 7 days.  Which means I only need to do double workouts 2 days a week.  Or if I take one day off per week that would mean 3 double workout days.  

I've got a race (my last Tri of the year) coming up in 3 weeks, so I really need to hit it hard if I want to improve.   

I also decided to sign up for some longer runs this winter since that is my weak area, and is why I am going to start increasing my distance now. 

Hope everyone has a good weekend! 

2008-08-10 4:29 PM
in reply to: #1592105

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
chichitao - 2008-08-09 2:00 PM So what is everyones plans for the next few weeks/months? 

Thanks for all the msgs about my crash.  The knee and leg have finally closed up enough to begin the workouts again.  First workout today since "the incident" .  I have developed my own training plan.  Going to write down my workout schedule one week in advance.  This way it still gives me flexibility to change things without messing up a full 2-3 month schedule. 

My goal is to do 3 runs a week (2 regular runs and then 1 long one).  The regular ones will then be changed occasionally to include some speed work and/or intervals.  My goal on the long one is to increase it by 1mi every week. 

I will also try to do 3 bike and 3 swims per week.  Thats 9 workouts in 7 days.  Which means I only need to do double workouts 2 days a week.  Or if I take one day off per week that would mean 3 double workout days.  

I've got a race (my last Tri of the year) coming up in 3 weeks, so I really need to hit it hard if I want to improve.   

I also decided to sign up for some longer runs this winter since that is my weak area, and is why I am going to start increasing my distance now. 

Hope everyone has a good weekend! 

Tim, that sounds like a great plan.  Obviously, I'm a novice's novice but I would definitely pick your plan which makes time for a rest day.

I think I'm going to sign up for some run races during the winter, too: 5Ks.

2008-08-10 4:32 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Snap, Jessica!  What an awesome time on your swim and on your bike, too!  That totally sucks about the 5K being more than a 5K and having to walk 30 minutes back to Transition.  I would have been livid.  Congratulations, though, on completing another triathlon!
2008-08-10 4:37 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

Any Total Immersion swimmers here?  I really need some advice.

OK, they say "chest down bottom up" and that, when you do, you feel like you're "swimming downhill."  I've been doing this and I do feel like I'm swimming downhill.  The problem is that it puts me deeper under water - about 6 inches and I have to come up that distance to get my breath.  Even though I'm swimming better, I know this is something that needs work.

So, I'm watching the swim events at the Olympics today and these swimmers have their heads above water and their shoulders appear to be right out of the water or underneath it.

Any ideas on what I'm missing?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » lkagop's Training Group Rss Feed  

of 33