General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2009-04-07 1:41 PM
in reply to: #2068515

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread

c_cic - 2009-04-07 12:58 PM A couple of things I learned on my partial ride of the CdA course last weekend:

1.  If you can't see the end of a hill behind the trees, it's probably not a good idea to just let 'er rip.  There is one place with a really sharp right turn that is just out of sight behind the trees at the end of a great downhill.  I would expect volunteers telling racers to slow down right around there.
2.  If you can see the top of one of the nasty short steep hills on the course (maybe on English Point?), it's not necessarily the top.  It is entirely possible that once you crest that little rise that the hill continues for a bit. 

Sounds like a conspiracy!

Thanks for the heads up.  I'll be doing a course recon a couple of days before the race to memorize where those turns are. 

2009-04-08 3:43 PM
in reply to: #1785381

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
I'm sure this has been posted elsewhere, but does anybody know what kind of nutrition is going to be provided on course?  I'm currently training with InfinIT, but I'm going to look into training with whatever drink/gel combination I can get on race day so that I don't have as much to carry.  Thanks.
2009-04-08 3:59 PM
in reply to: #2071864

User image

Expert
Liberty Lake, WA

From IMCDA website:

• Aid stations are approximately a mile apart on the run and every 10 miles on the bike. Nutrition available can vary between years and races, depending upon who the sponsors are. The general offerings are as follows:

Bike Aid Station
    Gatorade Endurance
    Water
    PowerBar Gel
    PowerBar
    Bananas

Run Aid Stations
    Gatorade Endurance
    Water
    Cola
    PowerBar Gel
    Pretzels
    Chicken Soup Broth (Fulls only, after dark)
    Oranges
    Bananas
    PowerBar
  • 2009-04-08 4:57 PM

User image

Expert
    Portland, OR
    A quick note on the wetsuit question:

*Hopefully* you'll have warmer water than we had last year when race morning it was a balmy 59. As for whether or not to use a sleeveless I will say only what happened to me. I'm a 180lb female who had been swimming in Oregon all through May (brrrrrrrr!) in a sleeveless and thought I'd be able to suck it up when I got to CDA last year. After 1 loop of the course in my sleeveless left me slurring my words and unable to think straight, warm up for nearly 2 hours I promptly melted down, got a good shake from PNF and bought a new long sleeved wetsuit which I never swam in until race morning.

That wetsuit saved me because even with it I swam the last 1000yds without use of my hands because they had frozen open like claws. Soooooo the moral of the story is this. Yes, it sucks to buy a new wetsuit but it sucks WAY worse to pay expo prices and not have had the opportunity to train in the wetsuit or have your race end after 2.4 miles because you are so cold.

Here's a link we used last year to monitor the water temps:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/id/nwis/uv?cb_00010=on&format=gif_default...

Hope that helps CDA is a fantastic race and a beautiful challenging course with great spectators and awesome volunteers. I'm not doing the race this year however I'll be there to cheer you all on!!!!!
    2009-04-08 6:24 PM

User image

Veteran
    wow... thanks for that info on the water temp. that's definitely been one of my biggest concerns!
    2009-04-08 8:02 PM
    in reply to: #2063884

I'm getting back on track this week and feeling much better about things, though I'm pretty sore. Next week's plan includes a lot of cycling, so I'll finally be cranking out some mileage, even though a lot of it will be indoors.
    I'm still plenty stoked for my first IM! Thanks for the reassurance; I really appreciate it! Laughing

2009-04-08 8:31 PM
    in reply to: #2071913

User image

New user

Seattle
    For what it's worth, last year it was orange Gatorade on the bike and lemon/lime (yellow) Gatorade on the run.

If you're planning on living off the course, you've probably heard it a few hundred times... make sure you train w/ what they'll have on the course.  I made the rookie mistake last year and my gut suffered mightly during the second half of the marathon.  This year I've invested in Gatorade for my long rides and runs in training... even though I don't care for the stuff.

If you're not familiar w/ the bike course and won't have a chance to get familiar before you arrive, I'd suggest putting a couple hours in your schedule to drive the course when you get into CDA.  I did that last year -- it was great to know what to expect ahead of time, plus it was a big psych-up for the race.

Happy training!  I suspect everyone has some tough weeks ahead... Sherman Ave. makes it all worth it!
    2009-04-09 11:20 AM
    in reply to: #2072075

User image

New user

The Woodlands, Texas
    Yes, thank you for the water temp information.  The general information site states that the water temperature is typically around 70 degrees, but it looks like the last couple of years has been a lot colder.

I guess I will start surfing the web for a long sleeve suit while hoping the water continues to warm up...

Edited by DonJ 2009-04-09 11:21 AM
    2009-04-09 11:28 AM

User image

Expert
    Liberty Lake, WA

STOP IT!  It's way too early to be talking about water temps.  These are isses to obsess over during your taper.

2009-04-09 12:22 PM
    in reply to: #2073859

User image

Champion
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Bronze member
    T in Liberty Lake - 2009-04-09 11:28 AM

STOP IT!  It's way too early to be talking about water temps.  These are isses to obsess over during your taper.

Woot!  It'w warmed up to 3.6C (38.5F)!! 

Somehow, I'm guessing the surface water of the lake gets significantly warmer than the peak outlet temp shown in the chart. 

2009-04-09 12:24 PM
    in reply to: #2073838

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Champaign, Illinois

DonJ - 2009-04-09 9:20 AM Yes, thank you for the water temp information.  The general information site states that the water temperature is typically around 70 degrees, but it looks like the last couple of years has been a lot colder.

I guess I will start surfing the web for a long sleeve suit while hoping the water continues to warm up...

My open water swims are always in high 50 low 60 water, but I've only spent about an hour in that temp... gotta go soak my tail longer and see how I do.

2009-04-09 12:42 PM
    in reply to: #2074016

User image

Expert
    Liberty Lake, WA
    McFuzz - 2009-04-09 9:22 AM

Somehow, I'm guessing the surface water of the lake gets significantly warmer than the peak outlet temp shown in the chart. 

This temp station is at the wastewater treatment plant.  Did not say if it were upstream or down.

2009-04-11 11:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Raleigh

I haven't posted in here or my training log in a few wks... but, in short, I'm out.

It is with great devastation that I must withdraw from participation in Ironman C'DA 2009. I have a withdrawal request in to race officials and am waiting for a confirmation note (i guess?) at this point.

Why?
    Primarily, my support system failed, completely, even after pre-arrangements and agreements were made *10 MONTHS* in advance to "cover" all that would be needed to allow me the amount of time needed to properly train, once the higher intensity training weeks/rides/runs arrived. I work FT and I'm a mom to a young child, so support and coverage is critical for me. There's only so much you can do at home or within 2 hrs at the gym to train for a race of this magnitude...and for those of you with a preschooler in the house...you KNOW that you don't get much of anything accomplished at home, unless it's pre-6 AM or +9:30 PM.  Knowing this, I planned so that I would have childcare in place when needed and yet I have failed.  I am thoroughly ashamed and upset that "DNS" will appear next to my name in the participant list (if I was injured it would be a different kind of disappointment and far more acceptable/unavoidable in my book). If emotional injuries could count for a DNS classification, chalk 1 up for me.  I had prepared a backup plan to use a professional sitter service, if needed, however my co. took a (unexpected) hatchet to our sales earnings plans in 2009, thus the feasibility of the backup option went out the window. So there and here it is.

I'm not quitting or giving up on Tri and certainly not the dream of completing an Ironman. I love this sport way to much to let a few selfish and self-serving people get to the best of me or rather, in the way of my dreams.  I have had to learn a hard lesson about who is and is not reliable in my life. If your family/friends are helping you toward an IM goal, give them a big hug and thank you... for they are truly your "loved" ones who care for and wish the best for you. I cannot cry anymore over this than I have in the past week and a half, not only for the loss of an opportunity, but for the knowledge that someone more deserving may have missed out upon registration for this event due to my putting trust in the wrong people to back me up. I won't say... "all this hard work for nothing" because it has certainly NOT been "for nothing".  My life has improved immensely in this (yet incomplete) journey... and no regrets. Training has been phenomenally insightful, I've gained a lot physically, mentally, and emotionally thus far into my journey and will continue to train for local smaller distance races this year. I wish my BT peers the best of luck in this event and I'll be watching/cheering you on into the finish line (online I guessI guess). Don't forget to dish out those hugs and kisses now!

2009-04-11 11:22 AM
    in reply to: #2077985

User image

Expert
    Lansdale, PA.
    summergirl - 2009-04-11 12:03 PM

I haven't posted in here or my training log in a few wks... but, in short, I'm out.

It is with great devastation that I must withdraw from participation in Ironman C'DA 2009. I have a withdrawal request in to race officials and am waiting for a confirmation note (i guess?) at this point.

Why?
    Primarily, my support system failed, completely, even after pre-arrangements and agreements were made *10 MONTHS* in advance to "cover" all that would be needed to allow me the amount of time needed to properly train, once the higher intensity training weeks/rides/runs arrived. I work FT and I'm a mom to a young child, so support and coverage is critical for me. There's only so much you can do at home or within 2 hrs at the gym to train for a race of this magnitude...and for those of you with a preschooler in the house...you KNOW that you don't get much of anything accomplished at home, unless it's pre-6 AM or +9:30 PM.  Knowing this, I planned so that I would have childcare in place when needed and yet I have failed.  I am thoroughly ashamed and upset that "DNS" will appear next to my name in the participant list (if I was injured it would be a different kind of disappointment and far more acceptable/unavoidable in my book). If emotional injuries could count for a DNS classification, chalk 1 up for me.  I had prepared a backup plan to use a professional sitter service, if needed, however my co. took a (unexpected) hatchet to our sales earnings plans in 2009, thus the feasibility of the backup option went out the window. So there and here it is.

I'm not quitting or giving up on Tri and certainly not the dream of completing an Ironman. I love this sport way to much to let a few selfish and self-serving people get to the best of me or rather, in the way of my dreams.  I have had to learn a hard lesson about who is and is not reliable in my life. If your family/friends are helping you toward an IM goal, give them a big hug and thank you... for they are truly your "loved" ones who care for and wish the best for you. I cannot cry anymore over this than I have in the past week and a half, not only for the loss of an opportunity, but for the knowledge that someone more deserving may have missed out upon registration for this event due to my putting trust in the wrong people to back me up. I won't say... "all this hard work for nothing" because it has certainly NOT been "for nothing".  My life has improved immensely in this (yet incomplete) journey... and no regrets. Training has been phenomenally insightful, I've gained a lot physically, mentally, and emotionally thus far into my journey and will continue to train for local smaller distance races this year. I wish my BT peers the best of luck in this event and I'll be watching/cheering you on into the finish line (online I guessI guess). Don't forget to dish out those hugs and kisses now!

OH man that sucks! I feel for you! Keep the dream alive, train as much as you can and never regret the committment!!!

I was contemplating bailing out too due the having to care for my elderly ailing parents however I have been able to adjust things to muddle along. I wont be as prepared as I had hoped but. I'll be there. I am leaving my race schedule very thin this year so i don't have to spend as much time away or  training after CdA.

On a happier note, I booked the airfare today for my buddy Ed and I. We leave Philly at 4:15pm on the 17th and come back the 22nd.  
    2009-04-11 6:27 PM
    in reply to: #2077985

User image

Expert
    Liberty Lake, WA
    I am sorry to read this.  I had to DNS last year at IMCDA due to work problems and it really was emotionally hard.  I had some very dark days last year after I had to quit so I understand what you are going thru.  It sucks now but life will get better, hang in there.
    2009-04-13 7:49 AM

User image

Expert
    Spokane, Washington
    Aw Summergirl, I'm so sorry to hear that!  Kudos to you for making the decision, hard as it is!  It sounds like you did everything you could!

2009-04-13 12:53 PM

User image

Pro
    Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
    125 mile bike on Saturday but still needed the leg and arm warmers, 12 mile run @ 7:30 min/mi on Sunday in SHORTS AND T-SHIRT!!!!

Edited by Birkierunner 2009-04-13 12:53 PM
    2009-04-14 7:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Raleigh

Thank you for the words of encouragement guys, I'm hanging in although it has been emotionially rough. 

2009-04-15 5:03 AM
    in reply to: #2072542

User image

Expert
    Lansdale, PA.
    TriStotan - 2009-04-08 9:31 PM For what it's worth, last year it was orange Gatorade on the bike and lemon/lime (yellow) Gatorade on the run.

If you're planning on living off the course, you've probably heard it a few hundred times... make sure you train w/ what they'll have on the course.  I made the rookie mistake last year and my gut suffered mightly during the second half of the marathon.  This year I've invested in Gatorade for my long rides and runs in training... even though I don't care for the stuff.

If you're not familiar w/ the bike course and won't have a chance to get familiar before you arrive, I'd suggest putting a couple hours in your schedule to drive the course when you get into CDA.  I did that last year -- it was great to know what to expect ahead of time, plus it was a big psych-up for the race.

Happy training!  I suspect everyone has some tough weeks ahead... Sherman Ave. makes it all worth it!

I don't really care for Gatorade either but I decided to use what will be on the course for training not because I have any issues with Gatorade, i just dont want to carry 3 24oz bottles of Perpetum. That's a lot of weight. I plan on having a bottle to start the swim, one in each transition and a small one to start the run with. It gives me a small amt of variety.
    2009-04-16 9:20 PM
    in reply to: #2085235

User image

New user

Seattle
    I use Perpetum as well.

Have you ever tried making a multi-hour bottle?  There's a recommended "recipe" on the plastic container. 

For IM, I'll have one bottle on my bike w/ ~8 scoops and slowly consume it along w/ Gatorade and water from the course.  I've had success w/ this strategy and don't have to plan for or carry multiple bottles of Perpetum.  My one bottle won't last the whole ride, but it'll get me through most of it.  Freeze it ahead of time; let it start thawing when you go to bed the night before -- should be decently chilled still when you get out of the water.

Obviously, something to try during training if you plan to do it on race day.

Beautiful weekend in store for Seattle -- great riding weather!
    2009-04-18 8:33 AM

User image

Expert
    Spokane, Washington
    I know it's a little early, but is there a way for us to ID each other at the race?   I hope we can all meet up for a swim or something, but what about during the race?  What do BT-ers usually do?  I'd hate to miss the chance to cheer on any of you as you pass me!  Smile 

2009-04-18 9:53 AM
    in reply to: #2093628

User image

Champion
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Bronze member

c_cic - 2009-04-18 8:33 AM I know it's a little early, but is there a way for us to ID each other at the race?   I hope we can all meet up for a swim or something, but what about during the race?  What do BT-ers usually do?  I'd hate to miss the chance to cheer on any of you as you pass me!  Smile 

There will be a tracking thread with name, screen-name, bib #, and expected splits.  I think BT'ers usually try to meet up for a lunch/dinner before-hand too (anyone local want to try to find a place, BAMBAM66 and I will attend? ). 

2009-04-18 9:56 AM

User image

Master
    MidWest
    We are also planning a short sojourn into Spokane, for the locals.  Colleen, that would be you!!!!
    2009-04-18 5:25 PM
    in reply to: #2093727

User image

Master
    Chicago

McFuzz - 2009-04-18 9:53 AM

c_cic - 2009-04-18 8:33 AM I know it's a little early, but is there a way for us to ID each other at the race?   I hope we can all meet up for a swim or something, but what about during the race?  What do BT-ers usually do?  I'd hate to miss the chance to cheer on any of you as you pass me!  Smile 

There will be a tracking thread with name, screen-name, bib #, and expected splits.  I think BT'ers usually try to meet up for a lunch/dinner before-hand too (anyone local want to try to find a place, BAMBAM66 and I will attend? ). 

I'd be interested in meeting up for lunch\dinner before the race.  Last year at IMKY we all met up and went to the Athlete's dinner together on Friday night and then met up for the swim and a quick ride on Saturday morning.  As we get closer I can put together a contact sheet for everybody (name, email, phone, etc...) and pass it out to everybody and figure out a place to meet. 

2009-04-18 6:40 PM

User image

Veteran
    hey all... newer to this group but wanted to share. I was warming up for an oly tomorrow and got hit by a car this am....
    I was going 25 and this guy was making a left turn and tried to gun it and cut in front of me.  Luckily I laid the bike down hard on my left side and wound up under his truck.  My front chain ring was stuck under his bumper and my new kuota kfactor is now in about 4 pieces (actually there are 6 breaks: the downtube, both seat and chain stays and the seat post are completely severed).  All in all I'm pretty lucky so far.  just really sore and lots of road rash
    just got back from the er and hoping to heal up, get a new bike and get back out there. I'm so angry and disappointed right now. Hopefully its only a setback of a few days and I'll be ready for cda...   hope I will get to meet everyone out at the race still
    New Thread
    General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 24