Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2009-01-07 10:41 PM
in reply to: #1857070

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina
Subject: Basic Biking Question

I have a question about proper pedaling technique ... never noticed how I was pointing my feet riding my Diamondback hybrid, the Marvista model, back during the Summer... but did start to notice while using the stationary bikes at the YMCA that I'm pointing my toes toward the floor when I pedal.

It may just be because the pedals on this thing suk and you have to slip your shoe through a strap and I can't get my foot far enough in ... so maybe I don't do this on an actual bike ..

...but it got me to thinking, when you pedal and you extend you leg downward ... should your foot stay parallel to the ground ... or should the toes slightly point downwards ... or should the heel point more downward ...

I've noticed that since I'm pointing my toes downward that my calves are getting tight .... and to stretch them back out, I pointed my heel down in an exaggerated fashion for a few revolutions ...

So what is the proper position to keep the foot while pedaling?

2009-01-07 10:48 PM

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina
Subject: How to Work in a 22 Week HIM Training Plan

Got another question...

I'm about 99% sure I'm going to sign up for the Augusta 70.3 race on Sept 27th ...  I was thinking of using the free HIM plan here on BT.com ... or I may be buying a Bronze or Silver soon and find one of those HIM plans ...

....but, If I were to start this coming week, the end of 22 weeks would be June 13th ... what do I do between then and Sept 27th ??  Keep adding on distance and time at the same rate as the plan had been progressing, or just keep repeating Week 22 over and over until my Tapering time, or do I repeat some of the intermediate weeks .... or do I just wait and not start the 22 week plan until such time that it ends just before the race?

Also, how much taper time do you allow for a HIM race?

Finally, any guidelines on whether or not it is a good or bad idea to run a short Sprint race a couple of weeks before the big HIM? 

Thanks!

2009-01-08 7:26 AM
in reply to: #1894018

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Subject: RE: Basic Biking Question
klowman - 2009-01-07 11:41 PM

I have a question about proper pedaling technique ... never noticed how I was pointing my feet riding my Diamondback hybrid, the Marvista model, back during the Summer... but did start to notice while using the stationary bikes at the YMCA that I'm pointing my toes toward the floor when I pedal.

It may just be because the pedals on this thing suk and you have to slip your shoe through a strap and I can't get my foot far enough in ... so maybe I don't do this on an actual bike ..

...but it got me to thinking, when you pedal and you extend you leg downward ... should your foot stay parallel to the ground ... or should the toes slightly point downwards ... or should the heel point more downward ...

I've noticed that since I'm pointing my toes downward that my calves are getting tight .... and to stretch them back out, I pointed my heel down in an exaggerated fashion for a few revolutions ...

So what is the proper position to keep the foot while pedaling?

You push down with your foot as you move toward the bottom of the pedal stroke. Your foot should be flat or even slightly heels down at this point. As you start the upstroke, imagine that you are scraping mud off the bottom of your shoe. Your heel comes up slightly, but you maintain pressure on your pedal with the ball of the foot. As you start the downstroke again, it should feel as though your foot is sliding forward in your shoe. Hope that helps.
2009-01-08 7:40 AM
in reply to: #1894032

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Subject: RE: How to Work in a 22 Week HIM Training Plan
klowman - 2009-01-07 11:48 PM

Got another question...

I'm about 99% sure I'm going to sign up for the Augusta 70.3 race on Sept 27th ...  I was thinking of using the free HIM plan here on BT.com ... or I may be buying a Bronze or Silver soon and find one of those HIM plans ...

....but, If I were to start this coming week, the end of 22 weeks would be June 13th ... what do I do between then and Sept 27th ??  Keep adding on distance and time at the same rate as the plan had been progressing, or just keep repeating Week 22 over and over until my Tapering time, or do I repeat some of the intermediate weeks .... or do I just wait and not start the 22 week plan until such time that it ends just before the race?

Also, how much taper time do you allow for a HIM race?

Finally, any guidelines on whether or not it is a good or bad idea to run a short Sprint race a couple of weeks before the big HIM? 

Thanks!

Count backwards from race day 22 weeks and start the plan then. The plans here are written so that taper is included in the training plan which is why you don't want to repeat the end of the plan over and over. That would be like tapering for 3 months

In the meantime, you can focus on weight loss, technique and form, and working on your limiters. You can choose one of the winter maintenance plans or a plan that focuses on your weakest discipline between now and then.

I would definitely throw some races in there before the HIM. For my first HIM, I had a spring season of short course racing. I ran a half mary in January, a 10K in February, a sprint tri in March, two sprints in April, 2 sprints in May and an Oly in June. I took July as a "rebuild" month for training exclusively. Then I raced a sprint in August, an Oly three weeks before my half, then the HIM. 2 weeks after the HIM, I rode the bike leg in an oly relay. It was a lot of fun, but a little expensive.

My coach gives me about a 2 week taper before an HIM. You can race a sprint as part of a taper for a long event. Just take a complete rest day following the sprint. Then follow your normal taper schedule. Taper doesn't mean not do anything. You just cut back on your volume and your focus is more on recovery rather than building.

My planned early season schedule so far is a half mary and a 10K in February, a sprint in March, training exclusively in April, an HIM in May, possibly an Oly in early June and the full IM June 21. I would like to recover enough to race the Greenville sprint in August and the SC Half in October. And I love Hickory Knob, but I'll just have to wait and see how I come through summer first.

2009-01-08 10:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
Subject: RE: Barqhead's Group - FULL
I have a question as well!  I had a really intense spin class last night, we spent about half the hour long class out of the saddle at about 80 % (hill climb).  I noticed some cramping in my right calf, and a really bad "hot spot" on the ball of my right foot.  Afterwards I have some mild soreness in the joint on the big toe of my right foot.  Is this due to the crappy set up on the spin bikes, my technique or should I reposition the cleats a little farther back?
2009-01-08 12:18 PM
in reply to: #1894917

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
msfugitivehunter - 2009-01-08 11:58 AM

I have a question as well!  I had a really intense spin class last night, we spent about half the hour long class out of the saddle at about 80 % (hill climb).  I noticed some cramping in my right calf, and a really bad "hot spot" on the ball of my right foot.  Afterwards I have some mild soreness in the joint on the big toe of my right foot.  Is this due to the crappy set up on the spin bikes, my technique or should I reposition the cleats a little farther back?

Jesus, Mary and Joseph! I would say that is from spending 30 minutes out of the saddle in a climb. All you are doing is torquing the crap out of yourself. I'm amazed you don't have some serious knee issues after that.

I'm all about intensity and mixing it up, but some of the things that they do in class you would never in a million years do on a bike. Ice your toe this evening and take some ibuprofen for the inflammation. Hopefully you will be good to go tomorrow. If this happens again in a class, follow the instructor until you start to cramp. Then sit, spin and explain that you have knee issues. Once you've spun the lactic acid out and your cramping subsides, feel free to follow the instructor again. Seriously, that kind of "stand and jam" workout doesn't do much for triathletes. You are not wussing out on the work out. You are protecting yourself from injury!

2009-01-08 12:58 PM
in reply to: #1895161

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS

Thx for the advice... I have had some questions about some of the stuff we do anyway.  Such as the little popcorn game, hopping in and out of the saddle.  I read on Tri Newbies that you should never do that, nor should you push back really far with your but while out of the saddle.  There is a good article I will link if anyone else is interested.

I said we spent about half the class out of the saddle....we spent about 15 minutes, backed it off to 60% seated for one song (3-4 minutes) and then back up and climbing again at 80 % for three more song (12-15 minutes).  I never attend this class that I don't feel like throwing up.....it is way intense!

2009-01-08 1:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS

This is the link to the indoor cycling article I referred to, near the bottom there is a list of activities to avoid.

http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_cycling/tno_cyclearticle_09.asp

2009-01-08 1:52 PM
in reply to: #1895306

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
msfugitivehunter - 2009-01-08 2:02 PM

This is the link to the indoor cycling article I referred to, near the bottom there is a list of activities to avoid.

http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_cycling/tno_cyclearticle_09.asp

Good guidelines! I also don't see the benefit in these standing climbs with the resistance turned up so high that your cadence drops below 60 rpms. As a self-proclaimed "masher", I can assure you this is not how you want to climb a hill.
2009-01-08 3:19 PM
in reply to: #1894311

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina
Subject: RE: How to Work in a 22 Week HIM Training Plan
barqhead - 2009-01-08 8:40 AM
klowman - 2009-01-07 11:48 PM

Count backwards from race day 22 weeks and start the plan then. The plans here are written so that taper is included in the training plan which is why you don't want to repeat the end of the plan over and over. That would be like tapering for 3 months In the meantime, you can focus on weight loss, technique and form, and working on your limiters. You can choose one of the winter maintenance plans or a plan that focuses on your weakest discipline between now and then. I would definitely throw some races in there before the HIM. For my first HIM, I had a spring season of short course racing.

I ran a half mary in January, a 10K in February, a sprint tri in March, two sprints in April, 2 sprints in May and an Oly in June. I took July as a "rebuild" month for training exclusively. Then I raced a sprint in August, an Oly three weeks before my half, then the HIM. 2 weeks after the HIM, I rode the bike leg in an oly relay. It was a lot of fun, but a little expensive.

My coach gives me about a 2 week taper before an HIM. You can race a sprint as part of a taper for a long event. Just take a complete rest day following the sprint. Then follow your normal taper schedule. Taper doesn't mean not do anything. You just cut back on your volume and your focus is more on recovery rather than building.

My planned early season schedule so far is a half mary and a 10K in February, a sprint in March, training exclusively in April, an HIM in May, possibly an Oly in early June and the full IM June 21. I would like to recover enough to race the Greenville sprint in August and the SC Half in October. And I love Hickory Knob, but I'll just have to wait and see how I come through summer first.

Holy Smokes!!  Batman!!

I got tired just reading about all of the races you did ... so ... it really shouldn't matter much if I do several or more sprints during my training period ... good ... how do you account for that particular week though ... just maybe back off a tad bit on the training times for that week, so the short sprint on the weekend, take a FULL day of recovery, and just pick up with the next week of training plan?

Thanks for the great advice and ideas on Winter Maint. plan or focusing on weaknesses.  I'll think I'll choose one of the sport specific sprint plans .. probably bike-focused ... I think there is a 12 week plan for that ... and once that ends that should put me right about the right time frame to start the 22 week HIM plan.

I'll be getting registered Fri or Sat, just checked .. it was at 841 registered as of Dec 15th, now as of Jan 6th there are 955 registered ... only 2,000 slots ...

Thanks for the info on pedaling as well... that will help a lot.  I've been shopping like crazy last few days for a bike, new and used, tri-specific and roadie with aero's ... I think I'll be making a final decision by this weekend as well.

As far as my budget and means it would be more wise for me to keep waiting for something to pop up on Craigs list or some classified site ... but I want to hurry up and get started putting in some real biking miles ... so I think I have it narrowed down to a few choices...  

...see next post ...

2009-01-08 3:27 PM

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina
Subject: Bike Shopping
I've been shopping like crazy last few days for a bike, new and used, tri-specific and roadie with aero's ... I think I'll be making a final decision by this weekend as well.

As far as my budget and means it would be more wise for me to keep waiting for something to pop up on Craigs list or some classified site ... but I want to hurry up and get started putting in some real biking miles ... so I think I have it narrowed down to a few choices...  

What do you guys think/know about these:

Jamis Comet, the 2008 model.  It is a tri-specific bike and the LBS can get me one for around $1,000 to include professional bike fit, warranty and maintenance.

Scanttante, 2008 model.  Basically a Fuji bike but it is Performance Bicycle, Inc's branded version.  Can order online for $899, plus a 10% discount if I order by Friday, can be delivered to local Perf. Bike shop for fitting.

Felt S32, 2008 model (the one I'm leaning toward).  Can get from a LBS for around $989 to include warranty, maint, and professional fitting.

The Scattante and Felt have same or very similar components ... and will be almost $180 less unless I can get LBS to come down some on the Felt ... but there is just some about the Felt S32 I fell in love with ... in particular the style of aero bars and the fact it's very adjustable and can be adjusted from more beginner to more aggressive as my biking improves.

Anybody got input on any of these or of the Scattante is comparable enough that it's worth saving the money ... or if the Jamis is so much better than the other 2 that it is the better value?

(09_comet_sm.jpg)

(Scattante_T560.jpg)

(Felt_S32_small.png)

Attachments
----------------
09_comet_sm.jpg (70KB - 6 downloads)
Scattante_T560.jpg (51KB - 5 downloads)
Felt_S32_small.png (86KB - 8 downloads)

2009-01-08 3:38 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Out of what you listed, I would go with the Felt. Reason 1, you really like it. You will be spending many long, sweaty hours together. You'd better be in love! Reason 2, you get the professional bike fit. This is worth its weight in gold for making those long, sweaty hours as comfortable as possible. Reason 3, Felt makes a great machine. My first roadie was a Felt and my hubby and several friends have Felt tri bikes. You get a lot of bang for the buck with that brand. What kind of components?

2009-01-08 4:00 PM
in reply to: #1895751

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina

barqhead - 2009-01-08 4:38 PM Out of what you listed, I would go with the Felt. Reason 1, you really like it. You will be spending many long, sweaty hours together. You'd better be in love! Reason 2, you get the professional bike fit. This is worth its weight in gold for making those long, sweaty hours as comfortable as possible. Reason 3, Felt makes a great machine. My first roadie was a Felt and my hubby and several friends have Felt tri bikes. You get a lot of bang for the buck with that brand. What kind of components?

I would also get the prof. fitting with the Jamis (at one LBS), also with the Scattante (at Perf. Bike Shop), and with the Felt (at a Clemmons LBS) ...

The Felt has:

FRAME: FELT Tri Specific Custom Butted Super-light 7005 smooth welded Aluminum, FULL Aero Seat Tube with rear wheel recess & Down Tube, CNC Head Tube & BB Shell, Forged Horizontal Dropouts
FORK: NEW Felt 3.2 Airfoil Carbon Fiber Bladed with Aluminum 1" steerer
HEADSET: Cane Creek type 1" Integrated with 20mm Cone and 2 X 7.5mm Spacer Stack
HANDLEBAR: "Felt Tri Specific Design: 6061 Butted Aero Base Bar,  with Clip-On Adjustable Length 7075 Aluminum Bend extensions and ALLOY arm rests with High Density Foam Pads"
SHIFTERS: Shimano Dura-Ace SL-BS78 bar end, 20 speed
FRONT DERAILLEUR: Shimano 105 braze-on, double
REAR DERAILLEUR: Shimano 105 SS Short Cage
CRANKSET: Shimano FC-R550, Forged Aluminum, 53/39T
CHAIN: Shimano 10-Speed
FREEWHEEL: Shimano 10-Speed Cassette, 12-25T
BRAKE LEVERS: TRP Aero RX 4.1 Alloy
BRAKES: Dual Pivot with Cartridge Brake Shoes, Stainless Hardware and Teflon Bushings
SADDLE:: FELT 3.3 Tri/TT Saddle with Carbon Injected base, Gel Nose, Custom Waterproof Cover and Extended Length Hollow Chrome Moly rails
SEAT POST: FELT 3.3 6061 Aluminum with Dual Position Saddle Mount, �27.2mm, 300mm
F/HUB: Felt TTR-4 Sealed Bearing CNC Machined 7075 Aluminum 24H with Chrome Moly Quick Release Skewer
R/HUB: Felt TTR-4 Sealed Bearing CNC Machined 7075 Aluminum 28H with Chrome Moly Quick Release Skewer
RIMS: Felt TTR-4 700c 30mm Deep Aluminum with CNC Machined Braking Surface, 24H Front/28H Rear
TIRE: Vittoria Rubino Slick Folding 700c x 23c

The Scattante has:

Frame: 

6061 Butted Aluminum Frame
Wheelset: 
Alex ALX 320 Comp, Front: 20H; Rear: 24H
Grips/Tape: 
Black Velo Cork
Fork: 
Carbon Aero w/ Alloy steerer
Seatpost: 
Carbon/Alloy, 27.2 x 350mm
Bottom Bracket: 
FSA BBB 7420-ST
Crankset: 
FSA CK-8080CC, 53/39T, Double
Headset: 
FSA Integrated, 1 1/8”
Tires: 
Kenda K-191, 700c x 23
Chain: 
KMC DX-10SC
Pedals: 
NA
Rack Mounts: 
None
Handlebar: 
Scattante Bar/Stem Aero Combo, Black
Stem: 
Front Derailleur: 
Shimano 105 FD-5600-B, Double, Braze-on, 31.8mm clamp
Rear Derailleur: 
Shimano 105 RD-5600, 10-speed
Cassette: 
Shimano 105, 11/23T, 10-speed
Shifters: 
Shimano Dura-Ace SL-BS78 Bar End, Grey
Brakes: 
Tektro R570, Dual Pivot
Levers: 
Tektro RX4.1 TT
Saddle: 
Velo VL-2057

2009-01-08 4:06 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Kevin asked a great question about races prior to your Big Race. He wanted to know if you taper for these and how you can place them into your training plan.

Most of us have that Big Race on the books. We have either registered or will register soon. This is our A priority race. This is the one we want to be in absolute peak condition for. But what about those other races that we are doing with friends or because they are close to home or just sound like fun?

These "extra" races are B and C priority events.

Joe Friel explains this prioritization really well in the TTB so I'm gonna quote from him. He suggests no more than 3 "A" races per year. The next priority level are the "B" races, "races at which you want to do well, but aren't as critical as the "A" races. You'll rest a few days before them, but not to build a peak. Schedule up to 6 of these". Next are the C races "done for experience, as hard workouts, as tests of progress, for fun, or as tune-ups for "A" races. You will "train through" these races with no peaking and minimal rest."

This is my favorite paragraph regarding the different races. "Race priorities have nothing to do with how hard you push yourself... With few exceptions, effort is always high in races. You don't go all out in A races and loaf in C races. Rather, the difference between A,B, and C races is how you prepare...Due to the greater rest and the peaking process, A races usually yield better performances than C races."

I like to train through my lower priority races, especially if they are shorter in duration than my A race. I use the race as a high, intensity workout that is a lot more fun than a hard training day. By training through it, I usually don't take a rest day, and may be feeling fatigued on race day.

If you do want to rest a bit before a B race, you can take a complete day off two days before the race. All you workouts on race week should be either recovery paced or short but race-paced. Do not do any strength training on race week. Now is not the time to tear down your muscles. Also, another good rule of thumb to remember is it takes 10 days to see fitness benefits from a workout. So don't think that doing a long run less than 10 days before a race will help your endurance on race day. You don't want to lay around like a slug, either. Keep it easy or keep it short. Then have a great race
2009-01-08 4:11 PM
in reply to: #1895814

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
klowman - 2009-01-08 5:00 PM

barqhead - 2009-01-08 4:38 PM Out of what you listed, I would go with the Felt. Reason 1, you really like it. You will be spending many long, sweaty hours together. You'd better be in love! Reason 2, you get the professional bike fit. This is worth its weight in gold for making those long, sweaty hours as comfortable as possible. Reason 3, Felt makes a great machine. My first roadie was a Felt and my hubby and several friends have Felt tri bikes. You get a lot of bang for the buck with that brand. What kind of components?

I would also get the prof. fitting with the Jamis (at one LBS), also with the Scattante (at Perf. Bike Shop), and with the Felt (at a Clemmons LBS) ...

The Felt has:

FRAME: FELT Tri Specific Custom Butted Super-light 7005 smooth welded Aluminum, FULL Aero Seat Tube with rear wheel recess & Down Tube, CNC Head Tube & BB Shell, Forged Horizontal Dropouts
FORK: NEW Felt 3.2 Airfoil Carbon Fiber Bladed with Aluminum 1" steerer
HEADSET: Cane Creek type 1" Integrated with 20mm Cone and 2 X 7.5mm Spacer Stack
HANDLEBAR: "Felt Tri Specific Design: 6061 Butted Aero Base Bar,  with Clip-On Adjustable Length 7075 Aluminum Bend extensions and ALLOY arm rests with High Density Foam Pads"
SHIFTERS: Shimano Dura-Ace SL-BS78 bar end, 20 speed
FRONT DERAILLEUR: Shimano 105 braze-on, double
REAR DERAILLEUR: Shimano 105 SS Short Cage
CRANKSET: Shimano FC-R550, Forged Aluminum, 53/39T
CHAIN: Shimano 10-Speed
FREEWHEEL: Shimano 10-Speed Cassette, 12-25T
BRAKE LEVERS: TRP Aero RX 4.1 Alloy
BRAKES: Dual Pivot with Cartridge Brake Shoes, Stainless Hardware and Teflon Bushings
SADDLE:: FELT 3.3 Tri/TT Saddle with Carbon Injected base, Gel Nose, Custom Waterproof Cover and Extended Length Hollow Chrome Moly rails
SEAT POST: FELT 3.3 6061 Aluminum with Dual Position Saddle Mount, �27.2mm, 300mm
F/HUB: Felt TTR-4 Sealed Bearing CNC Machined 7075 Aluminum 24H with Chrome Moly Quick Release Skewer
R/HUB: Felt TTR-4 Sealed Bearing CNC Machined 7075 Aluminum 28H with Chrome Moly Quick Release Skewer
RIMS: Felt TTR-4 700c 30mm Deep Aluminum with CNC Machined Braking Surface, 24H Front/28H Rear
TIRE: Vittoria Rubino Slick Folding 700c x 23c

The Scattante has:

Frame: 

6061 Butted Aluminum Frame
Wheelset: 
Alex ALX 320 Comp, Front: 20H; Rear: 24H
Grips/Tape: 
Black Velo Cork
Fork: 
Carbon Aero w/ Alloy steerer
Seatpost: 
Carbon/Alloy, 27.2 x 350mm
Bottom Bracket: 
FSA BBB 7420-ST
Crankset: 
FSA CK-8080CC, 53/39T, Double
Headset: 
FSA Integrated, 1 1/8”
Tires: 
Kenda K-191, 700c x 23
Chain: 
KMC DX-10SC
Pedals: 
NA
Rack Mounts: 
None
Handlebar: 
Stem: 
Front Derailleur: 
Shimano 105 FD-5600-B, Double, Braze-on, 31.8mm clamp
Rear Derailleur: 
Shimano 105 RD-5600, 10-speed
Cassette: 
Shimano 105, 11/23T, 10-speed
Shifters: 
Shimano Dura-Ace SL-BS78 Bar End, Grey
Brakes: 
Tektro R570, Dual Pivot
Levers: 
Tektro RX4.1 TT
Saddle: 
Velo VL-2057

Those are both very similar in components. The Felt has a 12/25 cassette in the rear which gives you a few more climbing gears than the 11/23 on the Scattante, but changing out rear cassettes is not a big deal. Have you been able to test ride any of these?
2009-01-08 6:59 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Man, that Felt is pretty.  People keep posting pics of new bikes and it's making me want to go shopping!  I've pretty much resigned myself to getting aerobars and a pro fit rather than a new ride.  Maybe once I build myself a big engine I'll be able to justify a pricey steed.

2009-01-08 7:23 PM
in reply to: #1896227

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
esc - 2009-01-08 7:59 PM

Man, that Felt is pretty.  People keep posting pics of new bikes and it's making me want to go shopping!  I've pretty much resigned myself to getting aerobars and a pro fit rather than a new ride.  Maybe once I build myself a big engine I'll be able to justify a pricey steed.

That's a good way to look at it. My hubby made me a deal. He said if I rode my mtn. bike 500 miles, he would buy me a roadie. I didn't quite make the 500, but he took pity on me anyways. Ha ha on him cuz now we fight for riding time
2009-01-08 7:29 PM
in reply to: #1895842

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina

Wow,

Did not realize really what the difference was between a 12/25 and 11/23 rear ... they seemed close enough to me that I thought it was purely semantics ... just this piece of information itself may well save me hundreds in making the right decision ....

... I think I would definitely want more hill climbing power at this stage in my biking ... having more speed in the flats or downhill (I'm assuming the 11/23 would be a tad faster or have a higher gear then ...) is not nearly as important as being able to save my legs as much as possible on hills.

I think I'm more of a spinner than a masher .... so having that extra lower gear would work out great ... I have enough bodyweight that I get plenty of momentum on downhills ...

I've not been able to test ride the Scattante ... it is an online order ... but I did go by the Perf. Bike shop on the way home today to look at a similar road model in the Scattante ... I could definitely be happy with that bike I think ... plus if I order it by Friday evening I would get it for $809.91 .... plus tax .... and Perf. Bike gives you 10% toward future purchases ... so that would be about $80 and therefore my bike shoes or some cheap pedals right there ...

...but that Felt does look nice and is more customizable and adjustable.  I'll be visiting that store tomorrow and the LBS has some already built and told me over the phone today that I could  take one out for a test ride.

He told me it was $1,000 and I told him I saw one at Bike Sport Michigan for $989 and he said he would match or beat any price for a 2008 Felt S32 that I find ....

....anybody know of any shops that are selling a 2008 Felt S32 for less than $989 ????

I'm going to show him the ad for the Scattante at $899 plus 10% off.... and see if he will come closer to that vs. $989 .... won't hurt to ask ....esp. if I tell him that wherever I decide to buy the bike I will also be buying shoes, pedals, clips, etc ....

...I've never dealt with a hig-end LBS before ... any negotiating tips or info I should know that would help me in makng a purchase?

Thanks again for everyone's input ... this is really helpful.

Edited by klowman 2009-01-08 7:30 PM
2009-01-08 8:10 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Offer. The worst they can say is "no". Most shops would really like to move their 2008 inventory. A lot of shops don't have high profit margins on their bikes, though. They make their money through parts, repairs, nutritional stuff and apparel. So the owner may be limited on how much he can deal. But it never hurts to ask.

2009-01-08 8:43 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
It's also nice to support your LBS because they will support you.  Nothing better than knowing the guy that's working on your ride.  Or being able to pop in and ask a question.  You're less likely to be considered a nusiance if you've dropped some dough in the shop.
2009-01-08 10:37 PM
in reply to: #1896439

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina

esc - 2009-01-08 9:43 PM It's also nice to support your LBS because they will support you.  Nothing better than knowing the guy that's working on your ride.  Or being able to pop in and ask a question.  You're less likely to be considered a nusiance if you've dropped some dough in the shop.

That's very true ....  and actually .. whichever of these I decide on (if Ido ...) would all end up being thru a LBS. 

The Jamis Comet from Cycle Therapy in Lewisville, NC.

The Scattante T-560 (even though ordered online - cause this model not carried in-store) while be shipped to the Performance Bicycle, Inc. store in Greensboro, NC for final assembly and fitting.

The Felt S32 from Clemmons Bicycles in Clemmons, NC.

All 3 would provide maintenance, tuneups, and warranty service ...

It is tough to decide ... the Jamis shop gives 10% and 15% discounts on most items for local triathletes associated with Tricows (of which I will be) ...

The Scattante is the cheapest and I'd get 10% of purchase price credit ... that I could use to buy shoes or pedals with ...

The Felt is probably the best made bike and most customizable ... and has great reviews ... plus there's just something about saying "I'm a new proud owner of a Felt ..."

I'm still up searching all the bike shops I cn find online, any reviews, auctions, classified ads, etc ... to help me decide which is the best bike to get... or if there is a better choice .. or if at the last moment some gem pops up on eBay or Craigslist.

So, I am so conflicted right now ... it's worse than trying to decide on a name for your first-born child..    aaaaggggghhhhhh!!!!!!

Edited by klowman 2009-01-08 10:48 PM

2009-01-09 7:25 AM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC

Hey Pam~  Got a running question.  I am a little uncertain about form.  Unfortunately my brother was not able to make it down for Christmas to critique my form.  So let me ask you, what do you think is most important about running technique.  I try to mimic Craig Alexander during the WC- his upper body looks so relaxed and legs strong.  I feel I have the upper body in a good position, but my stride is a little short, so I will be working on that.  

To go with the bike discussion~ I am seriously contemplating getting a tri bike come late spring.  I'm going with what the guys at Carolina Tri recommend.  They suggested the Specialized Transition, but man do I want a Cervelo P2C so bad!!!!!  I'm still having trouble justifying spending $3K on a bike.  I might have to tell myself that in order to buy a bike, I have to commit to a full IM in late 2010.  That might be a little extreme, but oh well.  I don't know anything about any of the bikes other than the Felt and have heard very positive reviews.

Edited by Jeepguy2358 2009-01-09 8:41 AM
2009-01-09 8:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS

Kevin, if I had my choice I would go with the Felt everytime, just because I know they make a good machine and they stand behind them.  If I could have gotten that kind of deal at my LBS I would be riding a Felt right now.  Instead, I had to buy what was in my budget.... I bought a Motobecame Nemesis Pro.......It's a great machine, but I would have preferred the Felt.

Just my 2 cents

2009-01-09 8:51 AM
in reply to: #1896942

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Jeepguy2358 - 2009-01-09 8:25 AM

Hey Pam~  Got a running question.  I am a little uncertain about form.  Unfortunately my brother was not able to make it down for Christmas to critique my form.  So let me ask you, what do you think is most important about running technique.  I try to mimic Craig Alexander during the WC- his upper body looks so relaxed and legs strong.  I feel I have the upper body in a good position, but my stride is a little short, so I will be working on that.  

To go with the bike discussion~ I am seriously contemplating getting a tri bike come late spring.  I'm going with what the guys at Carolina Tri recommend.  They suggested the Specialized Transition, but man do I want a Cervelo P2C so bad!!!!!  I'm still having trouble justifying spending $3K on a bike.  I might have to tell myself that in order to buy a bike, I have to commit to a full IM in late 2010.  That might be a little extreme, but oh well.  I don't know anything about any of the bikes other than the Felt and have heard very positive reviews.

BRAG ON: I have the P2C. Talk about a smooth, buttery rideBRAG OFF.

My coach is really working with me on running form. Relaxed upper body, keep your shoulders down, make sure your hands pass your hips as you pump your arms. A short stride is good. Fast foot turnover is the key. When doing race-paced stuff, it is okay to lengthen your stride a little. Best kept short and fast. Bend your knees. Pick up your feet. I know this sounds basic, but I can't believe how many times I catch myself with my shoulders tense, hands at chest level, shuffling down the road. It ain't purty and I wonder why have injury issues
2009-01-09 1:38 PM
in reply to: #1897013

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina
msfugitivehunter - 2009-01-09 9:00 AM

Kevin, if I had my choice I would go with the Felt everytime, just because I know they make a good machine and they stand behind them.  If I could have gotten that kind of deal at my LBS I would be riding a Felt right now.  Instead, I had to buy what was in my budget.... I bought a Motobecame Nemesis Pro.......It's a great machine, but I would have preferred the Felt.

Just my 2 cents

Thanks for the input!

I also was looking at the Motobecane Nemesis and Memesis Pro ... at BikesDirect.com ... it is a really good deal for the components you get ...

... I was just a little nervous ordering my first real bike over the Internet without ever being fitted before ... so although I've seen some better deals online ... I'll probably go with a LBS this time around ...

To be truthful with myself, the Felt, Scattante ... and even the Motobecanes are all still a little high for me ... I've not really been in this sport long and not saved up money for a good bike ... but I'm going to go ahead and take the plunge and just re-arrange some other items in my budget (or eat more rice and beans for a while!! ) so that I can go ahead and get this.

I figure if I'm going to plunk down the money for Augusta, and then invest lots of time, emotion, and energy into HIM training ... that I might as well go ahead and spend the money now for a good bike rather than later ...

If I pull the trigger some time this weekend I'll try to post some pics!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Barqhead's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 22