BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gaarryy's Group now Closed for Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2009-01-26 1:00 PM
in reply to: #1929405

User image

Expert
Frisco TX (DFW area)
Subject: RE: Gaarryy's Group now Closed for Business
The way I saw it once was how many you could do in a fixed time limit - so many pull ups etc - but we could just do as many as you can do and put the number in - total up the end of  the week - either way I'm in.

2009-01-26 1:10 PM
in reply to: #1929418

User image

Regular

gleser - 2009-01-26 1:00 PM The way I saw it once was how many you could do in a fixed time limit - so many pull ups etc - but we could just do as many as you can do and put the number in - total up the end of  the week - either way I'm in.

My thinking was that the multiple set option might help level the playing field a bit. One of us might blow-through 30+ in a single set & be done...whereas another might consistently bang -out 3 sets of 15 and have a chance of winning through consistency.

2009-01-26 1:16 PM
in reply to: #1929441

User image

Expert
Frisco TX (DFW area)
Ok - 3 sets - pull ups / push ups / crunches - I threw that in for some core - (deal or no deal)
2009-01-26 1:37 PM
in reply to: #1929455

User image

Regular

gleser - 2009-01-26 1:16 PM Ok - 3 sets - pull ups / push ups / crunches - I threw that in for some core - (deal or no deal)

Sounds good...I like the crunches thrown-in. Let's see how many are up to it!

2009-01-26 1:48 PM
in reply to: #1929441

User image

Champion
the colony texas
vivmo - 2009-01-26 1:10 PM

gleser - 2009-01-26 1:00 PM The way I saw it once was how many you could do in a fixed time limit - so many pull ups etc - but we could just do as many as you can do and put the number in - total up the end of  the week - either way I'm in.

My thinking was that the multiple set option might help level the playing field a bit. One of us might blow-through 30+ in a single set & be done...whereas another might consistently bang -out 3 sets of 15 and have a chance of winning through consistency.

I'm in.. I can do push ups anywhere,, pull ups I'll either go to the gym or down the street to the park that has monkey bars... but what is a dead mans hang that you mention... I'll even go along with the crunches... I'm a plank type of guy myself, but why not

2009-01-26 2:24 PM
in reply to: #1929544

User image

Regular
Gaarryy - 2009-01-26 1:48 PM

I'm in.. I can do push ups anywhere,, pull ups I'll either go to the gym or down the street to the park that has monkey bars... but what is a dead mans hang that you mention... I'll even go along with the crunches... I'm a plank type of guy myself, but why not

Dead-hang pullups just refers to letting your weight "hang" from your FULLY-EXTENDED arms in the down-position. Many people keep their arms bent in the "down" position & then "swing" their weight back up to the "up" position. Wow, that's a gross overuse of quotations.

2009-01-26 4:31 PM
in reply to: #1929634

User image

Champion
the colony texas
vivmo - 2009-01-26 2:24 PM

Dead-hang pullups just refers to letting your weight "hang" from your FULLY-EXTENDED arms in the down-position. Many people keep their arms bent in the "down" position & then "swing" their weight back up to the "up" position. Wow, that's a gross overuse of quotations.

gotcha,, i thought it meant some palm forward/backward/sideways thing..   so what about the kipping that people doing cross fit talk about..  since I doubt I can do more than one pull up I know I'll lose this one

2009-01-26 7:34 PM
in reply to: #1866633

User image

Regular
, Oklahoma
Hey guys, thought I would check in. I've been kinda MIA lately, but I checked into everybody's logs and it looks like you guys are doing great!!

So, I've been looking for my first race of the year and thought I would get some opinions here. They are both duathlons in March. The first one is less than 5 miles from my house, but it is a first year event. It is a 2 mile run, 12 mile bike, 2 mile run. The other is a duathlon that has been around for a while, about an hour from my house but only 10min from a friend's that I can stay at overnight. It is a 2K run, 10mile bike, 2K run. Personally, the first one sounds better b/c/o the distances, but it's a first year event. I'll have to think about it a bit. Anybody have suggestions?
2009-01-26 7:44 PM
in reply to: #1930444

User image

Champion
the colony texas

btchance - 2009-01-26 7:34 PM Hey guys, thought I would check in. I've been kinda MIA lately, but I checked into everybody's logs and it looks like you guys are doing great!! So, I've been looking for my first race of the year and thought I would get some opinions here. They are both duathlons in March. The first one is less than 5 miles from my house, but it is a first year event. It is a 2 mile run, 12 mile bike, 2 mile run. The other is a duathlon that has been around for a while, about an hour from my house but only 10min from a friend's that I can stay at overnight. It is a 2K run, 10mile bike, 2K run. Personally, the first one sounds better b/c/o the distances, but it's a first year event. I'll have to think about it a bit. Anybody have suggestions?

do you know who the race director is for the first year event??  is it Ironhead??  they do very good races..  Oh of course my other thought would be to do both    that way if the first one is not that great or you don't do as well as you hoped.  you know there is another one, real quick to redeem yourself. 

2009-01-26 7:51 PM

User image

Expert
Frisco TX (DFW area)

btchance - 2009-01-26 7:34 PM Hey guys, thought I would check in. I've been kinda MIA lately, but I checked into everybody's logs and it looks like you guys are doing great!! So, I've been looking for my first race of the year and thought I would get some opinions here. They are both duathlons in March. The first one is less than 5 miles from my house, but it is a first year event. It is a 2 mile run, 12 mile bike, 2 mile run. The other is a duathlon that has been around for a while, about an hour from my house but only 10min from a friend's that I can stay at overnight. It is a 2K run, 10mile bike, 2K run. Personally, the first one sounds better b/c/o the distances, but it's a first year event. I'll have to think about it a bit. Anybody have suggestions?

do the first - good warm up - close to the house plus a longer ride but not much - that is my .02 cents 

2009-01-26 8:12 PM
in reply to: #1930076

User image

Regular
Gaarryy - 2009-01-26 4:31 PM
vivmo - 2009-01-26 2:24 PM

gotcha,, i thought it meant some palm forward/backward/sideways thing..   so what about the kipping that people doing cross fit talk about..  since I doubt I can do more than one pull up I know I'll lose this one

Yeah, kipping is like a body wave that allows you to use momentum to get to the top. It's like the antithesis of the dead-hang pull-up.

2009-01-26 9:25 PM

User image

Davenport, IA

Even though I will get absolutely smoked in the challenge, I'll join up.

And Keith - Are your logs set up to friends only or something?  I've tried to get into them to respond to your inspires and it sends me straight back to the BT homepage every time.

Edited by Sprint_DA 2009-01-26 9:26 PM
2009-01-26 9:59 PM
in reply to: #1930667

User image

Regular
Sprint_DA - 2009-01-26 9:25 PM

Even though I will get absolutely smoked in the challenge, I'll join up.

And Keith - Are your logs set up to friends only or something?  I've tried to get into them to respond to your inspires and it sends me straight back to the BT homepage every time.

Sorry Dan,

I didn't have the underscore in your username so I've never even had you listed as a "Friend." No wonder your pic didn't show up on my friends list. It's fixed.

Edited by vivmo 2009-01-26 9:59 PM
2009-01-26 9:59 PM
in reply to: #1930729

User image

Davenport, IA
Cool, no worries...something I really should have asked about sooner.
2009-01-26 10:20 PM
in reply to: #1929517

User image

Extreme Veteran
Corinth, Texas
vivmo - 2009-01-26 1:37 PM

gleser - 2009-01-26 1:16 PM Ok - 3 sets - pull ups / push ups / crunches - I threw that in for some core - (deal or no deal)

Sounds good...I like the crunches thrown-in. Let's see how many are up to it!

Alright.....  you guys got me.  I was looking for a way to get some core into my routine and now I have it.  I'm in.  I will start tomorrow.  Had I seen the posts earlier I would have done it already.

2009-01-26 10:28 PM
in reply to: #1930461

User image

Extreme Veteran
Corinth, Texas
Gaarryy - 2009-01-26 7:44 PM

do you know who the race director is for the first year event??  is it Ironhead??  they do very good races..  Oh of course my other thought would be to do both    that way if the first one is not that great or you don't do as well as you hoped.  you know there is another one, real quick to redeem yourself. 

2X ^, do both for sure, unless they are on the same day, in which case I would do the longer distance.  The only event management organization that I don't recommend is Seidel productions......  let's just say not so good.  Other than that I don't know of any bad ones.

2009-01-26 10:34 PM

User image

Davenport, IA

First year events are cool.  I had one last year, and will have another one or two this year.  I'd definitely do both if possible, but I really enjoy racing.

2009-01-27 7:08 AM

User image

Regular

Okay..the Pushups/Pull-Ups/Crunches Challenge kicks-off today: Tuesday, January 27. Try to do your maximum number of each exercise in a maximum of 3 sets daily. There is no time limit, but once you rest that set is over. Post your numbers in your blog.

Participants so far: Gary, Grady, Keith, Dan, Alex

I have messages out to Judy & Kim...we'll see. We're looking for some Woman Power in this thing!

Dave won't be able to participate...studying & births in the family.

2009-01-27 7:09 AM

User image

Regular
One more undecided thing: should the winner be declared for each exercise or should we have only one overall winner?
2009-01-27 1:00 PM

User image

Regular
, Oklahoma
I'm in, but only partially. I have no place to do any pull-ups, so it'll be mainly crunches, and we'll see about push-ups. I do them a few times a week, but I am horrible at them.

As far as the race goes, I'm really looking into the first one. They do a small triathlon every year, and if it is the same group, at least they will have some experience. We'll see about two, but I doubt it. I'm on nights that month and racing at 8am will be tough just from a body clock issue.

Edited by btchance 2009-01-27 6:56 PM
2009-01-27 5:41 PM

User image

Davenport, IA

Ok, so every year there is an event called RAGBRAI which is a really popular touring ride across Iowa.  It's ~462 miles in 7 days.  I'll be in Colorado for a Sprint tri with my sister the day before RAGBRAI starts.  It's at the very end of July, and I'm a bit worried that taking 7 days of nothing but biking will cook my legs for a few days (because I don't really have a speed between stopped and pushing hard) and could possibly hurt my training for the HIM I want to do Sept 6.  I would also have only one bike (probably my tri bike since I'll be racing in CO).  The only reason I really want to do RABRAI is because there is a group of BT'ers doing it. 

Summary: To make the whole ride I would literally have to pack my stuff up directly after the race and drive to the West side of Iowa and recover in time to start a 7 day 460 mile ride across Iowa at the end of July.  Is that a good idea or a bad idea?

2009-01-27 5:55 PM
in reply to: #1932382

User image

Expert
Frisco TX (DFW area)
do you have to do all 7 days - can you do only 5 - I know you want to try but I think you are pushing it (age showing) but you are young 
2009-01-27 9:55 PM
in reply to: #1932382

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Sprint_DA - 2009-01-27 5:41 PM

Ok, so every year there is an event called RAGBRAI which is a really popular touring ride across Iowa.  It's ~462 miles in 7 days.  I'll be in Colorado for a Sprint tri with my sister the day before RAGBRAI starts.  It's at the very end of July, and I'm a bit worried that taking 7 days of nothing but biking will cook my legs for a few days (because I don't really have a speed between stopped and pushing hard) and could possibly hurt my training for the HIM I want to do Sept 6.  I would also have only one bike (probably my tri bike since I'll be racing in CO).  The only reason I really want to do RABRAI is because there is a group of BT'ers doing it. 

Summary: To make the whole ride I would literally have to pack my stuff up directly after the race and drive to the West side of Iowa and recover in time to start a 7 day 460 mile ride across Iowa at the end of July.  Is that a good idea or a bad idea?

That ride is very cool.. I good friend of my sister that lives here does it every year with her sisters..   It's pretty frustrating though,, so many cool things to do, so little time...  I don't think it would hurt your HIM training that much.. I mean if you had to you could always do a little run every evening..(ha I'm joking I'd be fried).   But if you could swing it logistically, without adding so much stress to yourself, then.... I'd still say maybe.. leaving after one race to immediately go to a 7 day race is tough....  It'd definately make it cooler and get you more hardcore props though.. 

basically I"m no hope.. I almost always say,, if your trained for it.. and can work it out logistically then do it

2009-01-27 9:56 PM
in reply to: #1932409

User image

Champion
the colony texas

This weather sucks !!!!!!

which means it's normal weather for just about anyone that lives more than 300 miles north of me.. freezing rain has cancelled my masters swim already in the morning.. 

2009-01-28 4:44 PM
in reply to: #1932871

User image

Davenport, IA
Gaarryy - 2009-01-27 9:56 PM

This weather sucks !!!!!!

which means it's normal weather for just about anyone that lives more than 300 miles north of me.. freezing rain has cancelled my masters swim already in the morning.. 

If that continues for months on end I'll start feeling a bit bad for you.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gaarryy's Group now Closed for Business Rss Feed  

of 13