I am curious about what your dietician prescribed as your diet

2009-02-12 8:21 PM
in reply to: #1958787

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon
Subject: RE: Jeff's Group - CLOSED
DblTall - 2009-02-12 8:50 AM

I like "attack one target at a time".  I used to get much more caught up on planning everything associated with my long term goals.  This was so bad that my goals eventually either seemed overwhelming, or if I missed a workout I would spiral downhill.  Both outcomes ultimately led me to abandon many attempts to accomplish what I wanted to do.

So, I completely agree...enjoy today's workout and don't worry about the rest for now.

Amen to that!

2009-02-12 8:30 PM
in reply to: #1959532

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon
swilburn - 2009-02-12 2:36 PM

Agreed...

My target right now is to get leaner. I will go faster without any more effort. I got a great plan from the dietitian and will put it in place. The workouts are easy for me to get done, but the fuel is where I am falling down.  I know that I will not get lean overnight (I have weighed the same thing my whole adult life), but as long as I am taking steps in the right direction, I am satisfied.

I had many problems with workout fuel. So many bars and gels, electrolites too but make sure you get protein, etc. Then I started using Infinit. Problem solved. You can tailor it to your specific needs; with caffeine, more or less flavor, adjust your electrolites, etc. You  can buy it through BT and get a little off. I suggest going to the web-site and at least checking things out. It's a liquid and easily assemilated, and best of all it's one thing not a handful. Very simple.

2009-02-12 9:39 PM
in reply to: #1878962

Cool, thanks for the tip!
2009-02-13 8:32 AM

Boulder
Hi Gang:
My quest for a comfortable running shoe is becoming an expensive trial and error exercise. I have undergone a gait analysis on a treadmill to discover that I am an over -pronater. I have purchased the selection of shoes recommend but still have blisters and numbness across the instep. ( both feet). The only thing left to consider are socks? I use medium weight wool blend socks, mainly for the warmth. Does anyone have any similar experiences or recommendations?

Thnx
2009-02-13 6:26 PM
in reply to: #1960332

I am no expert, but I like to run in biking socks. They are tall enough that they don't get sucked down into the backs of my shoes and they don't rub blisters on me because they are so thin. (I live in Louisiana, so we don't need warm socks). Sometimes I change my socks in the middle of a very long run if they are soaked. DryMax socks are supposed to not give blisters, but they are the only socks that GIVE me blisters. Hope this helps and good luck. I also over pronate and I like Saucony because I have a wide foot.

Stacy

2009-02-13 8:55 PM
in reply to: #1940668

Subject: RE: HELP! I've been sick - Upper Respiratory Infection
Bad news: Acute Ethmoidal Sinusitis with polyps as evident in CAT Scan Wed. I've been through 2 rounds of antibiotics already.

Good news: non-invasive remedy - Levaquin! Yea more drugs!

Bad news: Can not bike swim or run per doctor as side effect of Levaquin = ruptured tendons. I have NEVER heard of that before.

Good news: It works fast.

Bad news: Doctor recommends that I stop swimming altogether.

Good news: I say hell no! But at least it will get me out of the pool, yay! Can't stay in it for 1.5 hours anymore

Good news: Have diagnosis, stronger meds, expect faster results and now for a couple of weeks...pilates it is. So be it.
2009-02-13 9:04 PM
in reply to: #1961579

Socks with bamboo in them - those are awesome.
2009-02-14 10:08 AM
in reply to: #1960332

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon

jbeachman - 2009-02-13 6:32 AM Hi Gang: My quest for a comfortable running shoe is becoming an expensive trial and error exercise. I have undergone a gait analysis on a treadmill to discover that I am an over -pronater. I have purchased the selection of shoes recommend but still have blisters and numbness across the instep. ( both feet). The only thing left to consider are socks? I use medium weight wool blend socks, mainly for the warmth. Does anyone have any similar experiences or recommendations? Thnx

I'm an over-pronater too. I use the Brooks Adrenaline with the inner sole support. I also use Under Armor socks or bike socks and I've never had blisters. Lost toenails yes, blisters no. I'm not sure about your numbness though, perhaps your lacing too tight and it's having an effect on your circulation. Also, do your feet sweat a lot? Perhaos that's the root of your blisters and maybe powder in your shoes will help.

2009-02-14 10:10 AM
in reply to: #1961715

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon

butterfly1723 - 2009-02-13 6:55 PM Bad news: Acute Ethmoidal Sinusitis with polyps as evident in CAT Scan Wed. I've been through 2 rounds of antibiotics already. Good news: non-invasive remedy - Levaquin! Yea more drugs! Bad news: Can not bike swim or run per doctor as side effect of Levaquin = ruptured tendons. I have NEVER heard of that before. Good news: It works fast. Bad news: Doctor recommends that I stop swimming altogether. Good news: I say hell no! But at least it will get me out of the pool, yay! Can't stay in it for 1.5 hours anymore Good news: Have diagnosis, stronger meds, expect faster results and now for a couple of weeks...pilates it is. So be it.

That's quite a handful there. I've never heard of the ruptured tendon side-effect before either. The commercials for drugs run through the side-effects so quickly it's hard to catch them all. Here's to a speedy recovery.

2009-02-15 8:47 AM
in reply to: #1959606

Sorry I did not respond earlier, I just saw the question! I gave her my annual training plan and food diary for two weeks, she analyzed the macronutrients (carbs, fat, and protein) and gave me exchanges for each food group that would allow me to train and get leaner at the same time.  So.... my recommendations were pretty much close to the food guide pyramid, except a little more protein because I want to build muscle and lean out.  On my off day, I will eat a little less.

For races, I like nuun for electrolytes and Cliff Shot for carbs. I only do sprint distance, so I don't need a lot of nutrition during the race.

We will change my diet during the build phase of my training to rely more on carbs, hopefully by then I will have lost a few pounds.

I am eating three meals and three snacks per day, one of those snacks being recovery post workout (chocolate milk).

I know that this was not very specific, but WHAT I eat changes every day and pretty much follows the food guide pyramid. I have a wheat allergy so I don't eat anything made with flour, so that makes my diet a little weird.

Stacy

2009-02-15 10:17 AM

Boulder
Be careful with CLIFF products. I thought the peanut based products were totally recalled.
Joe
2009-02-19 1:00 PM
in reply to: #1962036

So here we are with the illness update:
Acute Ethmoidal Sinusitis
Difficulty breathing so went to the ER on Tuesday
No pneumonia as they originally suspected - Chest x-ray ok
Breathing treatment done in ER
Discharged with Acute Upper Respiratory Infection and follow up for Reactive Airways Disease
I pulled my right abd. oblique muscle from coughing too much
Going back to the internist tomorrow for follow up and blood tests.

SO.....

Don't come to Chicago, lol 50 degree temperature drop in 3 days
Don't wait 3 weeks for sinus congestion to go to a doctor
Don't bother with antibiotics; probiotics and acidophilus, vitamins.

Next week - intro session with personal trainer to get back on the road. I'm paying the $150 for the 3 sessions at this point because I CAN'T STAND THIS!!!!!

As Mayor Daley said about Blago: "Cuckoo!"
2009-02-19 5:59 PM
in reply to: #1970903

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon

butterfly1723 - 2009-02-19 11:00 AM So here we are with the illness update: Acute Ethmoidal Sinusitis Difficulty breathing so went to the ER on Tuesday No pneumonia as they originally suspected - Chest x-ray ok Breathing treatment done in ER Discharged with Acute Upper Respiratory Infection and follow up for Reactive Airways Disease I pulled my right abd. oblique muscle from coughing too much Going back to the internist tomorrow for follow up and blood tests. SO..... Don't come to Chicago, lol 50 degree temperature drop in 3 days Don't wait 3 weeks for sinus congestion to go to a doctor Don't bother with antibiotics; probiotics and acidophilus, vitamins. Next week - intro session with personal trainer to get back on the road. I'm paying the $150 for the 3 sessions at this point because I CAN'T STAND THIS!!!!! As Mayor Daley said about Blago: "Cuckoo!"

Wow, you have it rough, but it'll pass. You'll be swimming like a fish again in no time. Hang in there!

2009-02-19 6:50 PM

Here's to your speedy recovery!

Stacy

2009-02-19 6:57 PM
in reply to: #1963010

Thanks, salmonella is scary stuff! I was a little freaked out at first by the Cliff recall because I buy the Kids Z bars for my little guy's lunch box sometimes, but he had Chocolate Chip, not peanut butter flavor. Cliff Shot is just made with organic brown rice syrup, sea salt, and electrolytes. It's like Gu or PowerGel, but it does not taste so much like cake icing. I could eat it like candy, but I don't because it's $1.19 per ounce. I love it!

How goes the search for shoes? Have you thought about Newtons? www.newtonrunning.com

I have some and LOVE mine! (I don't work for them or anything, I just believe in their shoes)

2009-02-19 10:15 PM
in reply to: #1971849

Boulder
The shoe problem is solved - I took the Viking's advice and went with Brooks Adrenaline, replaced the foot bed and that really helped. Does anyone know who makes these elusive bamboo reinforced socks? Thanks for asking.
Joe
2009-02-20 6:28 PM
in reply to: #1972137

I don't have any bamboo socks, but here is an article about them. Great news about your shoes.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-320--12456-0,00.html

Stacy

2009-02-20 11:07 PM
in reply to: #1972137

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon

jbeachman - 2009-02-19 8:15 PM The shoe problem is solved - I took the Viking's advice and went with Brooks Adrenaline, replaced the foot bed and that really helped. Does anyone know who makes these elusive bamboo reinforced socks? Thanks for asking. Joe

Great choice. I hope they work for you like they do for me.

2009-02-23 3:03 PM

*blows dust off her log-in details*

Hi everyone,

I went AWOL. I'm struggling with a few things at the moment and my training has not been anywhere near as good as it needs to be. I won't be doing the first sprint tri in April now as I just can't see my swimming being good enough in time. I can run and ride the distances no problem but really need to get back into the pool three times a week to get back into the running. Gah!

I know I need to get back into the swing of things so here's my plan for the week:

Tuesday: Swim (want to try and do 400m to see how long it takes me) and ride to/from gym
Wednesday: Run 4 miles and strength
Thursday: Cycle 25 miles
Friday: Pilates and Swim
Saturday: Cycle 25 miles and run 2 miles
Sunday: Swim (exact plan tbc)

This is all definitely doable - it's just a matter of doing it.

2009-02-23 8:38 PM
in reply to: #1977737

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon
Lara C - 2009-02-23 1:03 PM

*blows dust off her log-in details*

Hi everyone,

I went AWOL. I'm struggling with a few things at the moment and my training has not been anywhere near as good as it needs to be. I won't be doing the first sprint tri in April now as I just can't see my swimming being good enough in time. I can run and ride the distances no problem but really need to get back into the pool three times a week to get back into the running. Gah!

I know I need to get back into the swing of things so here's my plan for the week:

Tuesday: Swim (want to try and do 400m to see how long it takes me) and ride to/from gym
Wednesday: Run 4 miles and strength
Thursday: Cycle 25 miles
Friday: Pilates and Swim
Saturday: Cycle 25 miles and run 2 miles
Sunday: Swim (exact plan tbc)

This is all definitely doable - it's just a matter of doing it.

That looks like a great week of training Lara, yeah now you just need to do it.

2009-02-24 6:37 AM

Shanghai, China
Go Laura!
2009-02-24 11:03 PM

Shanghai, China

I have a question around training intensity.

Is there a general rule of thumb for guaging whether or not you are training at the right overall level of intensity?  I've found that since I started working out regularly again starting from last July that I've had a number of minor injuries that I've had to nurse and work around.  I've conciously been patient because in the past a lack of patience derailed many of my attempts to re-establish some regular exercise.  And, although my body seems to recover a bit more slowly with a little more age, I think I'm smarter about being in this for the long run and setting reasonable goals.  Nonetheless, I've had a few issues crop up (knees, back and most recently a minor hamstring issue).  Nothing has been permanent, but these have caused me to curtail my training a bit from time-to-time.

It would be great to get some input on how other people know if they are pushing too hard or taking it too easy.  Do you judge off of a general feeling of recovery or by some other means.

Thanks!

2009-02-25 7:36 AM
in reply to: #1980562

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon
DblTall - 2009-02-24 9:03 PM

I have a question around training intensity.

Is there a general rule of thumb for guaging whether or not you are training at the right overall level of intensity?  I've found that since I started working out regularly again starting from last July that I've had a number of minor injuries that I've had to nurse and work around.  I've conciously been patient because in the past a lack of patience derailed many of my attempts to re-establish some regular exercise.  And, although my body seems to recover a bit more slowly with a little more age, I think I'm smarter about being in this for the long run and setting reasonable goals.  Nonetheless, I've had a few issues crop up (knees, back and most recently a minor hamstring issue).  Nothing has been permanent, but these have caused me to curtail my training a bit from time-to-time.

It would be great to get some input on how other people know if they are pushing too hard or taking it too easy.  Do you judge off of a general feeling of recovery or by some other means.

Thanks!

Hi Martin,

I may have said this before, but I learned last year it's better to be over-recovered then over-trained. In my training I go by my attitude and also listen to my body to judge whether I'm doing too much or need an extra day of recovery. Just last Saturday I was to run thirteen miles. At six miles I knew I was through; for some reason I just didn't have it. So I decided to stop running and accepted my decision as final. I think that's one of the keys to survival, meaning if you decide not to workout or to cut your workout short, accept it and move on. Don't keep beating yourself up over it. Next time you may feel like going above and beyond your scheduled workout because you've had a little more time to recover. It's all peaks and valleys. Some times injuries are a sign of overtraining but as you said-getting older means longer recovery time-so keep that in mind too.

2009-02-25 10:27 AM

Boulder
Hi Gang:
Does anyone have suggestions, ideas or routines that would help alleviate post swim shoulder/upper back soreness? Admittedly, I am not a "swimmer" so some of this might be technique. But I am thinking that I might need strength training that isolates the swimming muscle groups. Has anyone else experienced this?
thnx -Joe
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jeff's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 12