BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jonathan22's mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2009-02-09 9:27 PM
in reply to: #1953239

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Jonathan22's mentor group - CLOSED
chris1214 - 2009-02-09 5:07 PM Swim question here....  So I am getting much more comfortable in the pool, but I do have a question that is not related to swim technique.  Should I be wearing a swim cap to train in or not?  

I think it's an individual choice.  Some use it to stay warm.  I never use one in a pool.  Gets me too hot and the sound of the water going over the cap kinda freaks me out (not in a race though).  

2009-02-10 11:18 AM
in reply to: #1953782

User image

New user

Las Vegas
jonathan22 - 2009-02-09 7:23 PM

Average speed = wrong question.  The real question is how fast can you go and still complete all your workouts for the week.  14 mph might be at your top end but if it whipes you out for 2 days, than that speed is too fast.  Don't be afraid to go a little faster as long as you can hold that speed (average) for the entire ride.  

The other thing that's worth considering is cadence.  Speed is great but being able to keep a consistent cadence through the gears is important too - usually 75-90 rpm is a good range to keep.

2009-02-10 11:12 PM
in reply to: #1879927

Valdosta, GA
Thinking about getting some Speedplay pedals, anyone use them... pro's and cons? 
2009-02-11 8:26 AM
in reply to: #1956025

User image

Peachtree City, GA

Crue4 - 2009-02-11 12:12 AM Thinking about getting some Speedplay pedals, anyone use them... pro's and cons? 

I use them. The only other one's I've used are SPD on a spin bike so I can't offer a comparison between others. I really like the Speedplays. The huge amount of float is for me a key point as it allows your knee to naturally fall into position. Also, since the pedals are double sided, you can get into them easily. There are some disadvantages of course. Compared to the SPD style (and I can image Look style), getting into them is a lttle harder since you more or less have to step into the exact correct position to get them engages versus being able to toe in the front of the cleat and feel for the right position. With time, this gets better but I still occasionally struggle getting clipped in (of course it's usually when trying to cross a high speed 4 lane with onocoming traffic!). The other disadvantage is that the cleat can get dirty and make it difficult (if not impossible) to get clipped in. This is just inherent with the design of the cleat but worth considering in the tri world since if you have a transition area in a muddy field for instance, those cleats are gonna get packed with dirt and not want to engage if you wear your shoes to the mount line. For me the adjustablility of the float far outweighs the inconveniences of maintaining clean cleats (a quick squirt from a water bottle or a stomp on the ground can clean them). Also, Speedplays do take a little getting used to because of the float. I've heard some describe the feeling as "walking on ice". It can be a little unnerving at first to be mashing up a hill and feel your feet slipping around but you will get used to it and actually I feel like I can crank out more torque in certain situations with a different foot position (purely subjective, I don't have a power meter). Hope this helps. maybe others can comment on other pedal styles.

2009-02-11 2:43 PM

User image

Master
Charlotte

I am also using the speedplay "X" series cleat.  So far (after a month of use) I love them.  I don't get any knee pain which is my main concern.

I agree with most of what Hacksaw says.  It really only took me one ride to get used to them but they do feel wierd the first time in.  I am not sure these cleats would be any harder to use in the mud than other road pedals.  They do take a little practice getting clipped in but I rarely have a problem.

If you have a history of knee pain, I would certainly try these out.

2009-02-11 6:16 PM

User image

New user

Las Vegas
Does anyone have any experience in swimming while wearing contacts?  I'm blind as a bat without my contacts (-12.0) and can't figure out how to adjust my goggles so that either the water stays out or my eyeballs feel like they're about to get sucked out of my head and not being able to blink!

2009-02-12 7:11 AM
in reply to: #1957593

User image

Master
Charlotte

TleahciM - 2009-02-11 7:16 PM Does anyone have any experience in swimming while wearing contacts?  I'm blind as a bat without my contacts (-12.0) and can't figure out how to adjust my goggles so that either the water stays out or my eyeballs feel like they're about to get sucked out of my head and not being able to blink!

First, I would try new googles.  The ones I am wearing now (Speedo Vanquisher goggles - $16 at Sports Authority) and I don't think I have ever gotten water in them unless I put them on upside down and they definately don't suck my eyeballs out.

And if that doesn't work...Lasik!  Best $3000 bucks I ever spent (10 years and counting now). 

Edited by bgraboski 2009-02-12 7:12 AM
2009-02-12 7:26 AM

User image

Regular
Middletown

TleahciM - 2009-02-11 7:16 PM Does anyone have any experience in swimming while wearing contacts?  I'm blind as a bat without my contacts (-12.0) and can't figure out how to adjust my goggles so that either the water stays out or my eyeballs feel like they're about to get sucked out of my head and not being able to blink!

I hear ya on being blind, I am a -8.0.  I have been wearing Speedo Air Seal XR and they have worked great.  No leaking at all.  I would say to try another pair out and see if they fit you better.

2009-02-12 9:58 AM
in reply to: #1958316

User image

New user

Las Vegas
I have a pair of Speedo Vanquishers and they do keep the water out but it feels like i might have them adjusted too tight or something because it's hard for me to blink.  Is there such a thing as too tight?  I'm just paranoid about losing a contact.
2009-02-12 12:21 PM

Valdosta, GA
Thanks for the info on the Speedplays...  been riding Look but knees do bother me and I think the increased float may help... 
2009-02-12 12:23 PM

Valdosta, GA

No contacts but I have tried a number of different googles b/c I had problems with fit/feel and leakage..  My favorites are the Aquasphere Kaimen.

2009-02-12 12:40 PM
in reply to: #1958980

User image

New user

Las Vegas
Crue,  what type of cleats are you using with your Looks?  If you're using the gray ones that came with your pedals, you may want to consider switching to the reds since they offer more float (9 degrees).  I've torn my ACL & MCL in the right knee and after I switched to the reds, my ride was way more comfortable.  Just a thought since a $20 pair of cleats is going to be way cheaper than getting all new pedals.
2009-02-13 6:08 PM

Valdosta, GA
Actually am using the red cleats and I did like the float it gave me...but still having pains, and problems getting out of in tight situation like the transition and red lights.....  Think I will go with the Speedplay to get the 15 degree float.. hope that will help... plus The Light Actions are "supposed" to be easier to get in and out of... which getting out of has always been a pain in the butt for me..

Edited by Crue4 2009-02-13 6:09 PM
2009-02-13 9:06 PM

I had a great swim this morning. I went 700 yards, worked on kick drills with fins and and freestyle swim with and without fins. My body just seemed to click today and it was nice. I still stopped a lot due to lack of endurance but if I can keep working on it, I should be fine by the race.

I officially registered for my sprint tri this week. It's April 4 and is at the YMCA where I'm swimming and working out right now, all in the town I live in. I think the familiarity will do me good.

I got a bike computer last week and I just ordered some clipless pedals and tri shoes on sale, so they should be here in a few days. I'm getting there. Now the only thing left to get is tri shorts. Eventually I'll get separate bike shorts and racing trunks, but for now, I'll swim mostly in my board shorts and do a few sessions in tri shorts (when I get them) to feel the difference and to get used to swimming with the chamois.

If this race goes well, I'll consider an Olympic tri in September, which is open water, another first for me.

2009-02-15 2:22 PM
in reply to: #1951161

User image

Austin, Tx

hey Bgraboski....I was thinking of you eating all those donuts last week!
Glad you made it through. That race sounds hilarious!!!

Glad you didn't get *too* sick from all the sugar

Holly

2009-02-15 2:26 PM

User image

Austin, Tx
Subject: RE: Jonathan22's mentor group - Question about races

Jonathan,

How do you know when you are ready to go from Sprint to Olympic distance race?

Should we concentrate on getting better and faster at sprint distance before taking on Olympic? or should we tackle an olympic if we think we can hang w/ the endurance and distance? Is it just preference?

Been pondering it for a few days.

Holly

2009-02-16 7:50 AM
in reply to: #1963207

Valdosta, GA

Holly

I think it really depends on what your goals are...  Are they to be somewhat competitive in your age group and continue to improve your times? Or ar they to simply complete the distance in the Olympic, HIM, or IM?

I have only done 1 race which was a Sprint.  For me I am going to spend the entire season seeing how I can improve, get faster, and see if I can work toward the the top half then top third of my age group.  Toward the end of the seaon I may do 1 Olympic just to test the waters.  After the season, I will decided what mix of races (Sprint/Olympic) that I will compete next year. 

2009-02-16 10:09 AM

Had a GREAT run yesterday. The pace wasn't as fast as I'd like (11:06), but my legs didn't burn at all, my breathing was steady, I didn't walk at all, didn't try to overdo it by pushing too hard so I could finish...

Anyway, if I had had the time, I would have tried to go a full five-mile run, but my initial intent was to get in a good 3-miler, which I did. So I'm pleased.

This morning I put on the clipless pedals and put the cleats on my shoes, so I sat in my room for a few minutes just clipping and unclipping, trying to see how much pressure it will take to unclip and clip in. I also did some one-legged strokes backward just to feel it. I'll either run or ride this afternoon, then I'll swim tomorrow morning and get in another run/ride or strength train tomorrow afternoon.

2009-02-17 8:32 PM

I went for a ride yesterday afternoon, 4.5 miles. It was cold, snow flurries, and pretty windy. I kept a steady 13 mph, but I was also doing some single-leg drills, practicing clipping and unclipping. Not my best ride, but it was my first clipless, so I'm cool with it.

I didn't get to swim this morning, but I wanted to run this afternoon on the triathlon course for the race I'm running in April. It was hilly for this area; and it was an out-and-back. I got back and checked my time and I couldn't believe it! It was 30:17. That's a 10:06 mile, which is good for me.

I haven't had a recovery day since last Wednesday and tomorrow's a long work day, so I won't do anything tomorrow.

Question about cleats: is there a trick to walking with cleats? Should I walk as normal as possible, more on my heels, more on my toes? I don't want to wear them down, but I also don't want to slip and fall during a transition in the race. Any help or tips would be appreciated.

Also, right now I'm pedaling consistently between 13-16 mph. Will that be humiliating in a race? What kind of speeds do people get up to and stay at consistently? I can't do much more than I am now consistently, but do people pedal into the upper-20s? Higher? Lower?

I'm not looking to compare, just don't want to kill myself for the impossible or not push harder when I could be.

2009-02-18 7:32 AM
in reply to: #1967431

User image

Peachtree City, GA
astafford - 2009-02-17 9:32 PM

Question about cleats: is there a trick to walking with cleats?

What kind of speeds do people get up to and stay at consistently? I can't do much more than I am now consistently, but do people pedal into the upper-20s? Higher? Lower?

No tricks I am aware of, just be careful and deliberate with your steps. Walking on ground is usually no problem as the cleat usually gives you more traction as it bites into the ground. On hard surfaces, it can be as slick as ice. Blacktop not as bad but something like stone (or indoors like tile) is a recipe for busting your butt. I try to walk as if I'm walking on ice, real flat footed.

Your 2nd question about speeds is totally dependant on the attendance at the race that day. You could look at past results to guage the competition if you want. In general, I think you would see speeds all over the board from maybe 13-14 mph up to something in the low 20s. I haven't seen anyone over 23-24 mph on avg but I haven't exhaustively looked either. Again though, it really depends on who shows up that day, weather conditions that day, and on the type of course.

2009-02-18 7:52 AM
in reply to: #1967431

Charlotte
astafford - 2009-02-16 9:32 PM

I went for a ride yesterday afternoon, 4.5 miles. It was cold, snow flurries, and pretty windy. I kept a steady 13 mph, but I was also doing some single-leg drills, practicing clipping and unclipping. Not my best ride, but it was my first clipless, so I'm cool with it.

I didn't get to swim this morning, but I wanted to run this afternoon on the triathlon course for the race I'm running in April. It was hilly for this area; and it was an out-and-back. I got back and checked my time and I couldn't believe it! It was 30:17. That's a 10:06 mile, which is good for me.

I haven't had a recovery day since last Wednesday and tomorrow's a long work day, so I won't do anything tomorrow.

Question about cleats: is there a trick to walking with cleats? Should I walk as normal as possible, more on my heels, more on my toes? I don't want to wear them down, but I also don't want to slip and fall during a transition in the race. Any help or tips would be appreciated.

Also, right now I'm pedaling consistently between 13-16 mph. Will that be humiliating in a race? What kind of speeds do people get up to and stay at consistently? I can't do much more than I am now consistently, but do people pedal into the upper-20s? Higher? Lower?

I'm not looking to compare, just don't want to kill myself for the impossible or not push harder when I could be.

Too late since you have shoes already but the store I got my shoes from suggested the recessed type cleats for me since I'm a beginner.  They thought I wouldn't really lose that much performance by using those and the benefit is they are like walking in regular shoes.

On another note I started a basic tri swimming class today, it's 2 days a week but I realized just how little I actually know about swimming.  I can already see there are going to be huge benefits from it.  I suggest the same to anyone that is a beginner and can find something in your area that is similar.

2009-02-18 10:37 AM

Yeah, I got my shoes and pedals on clearance online. I paid $75 for pedals and shoes and they are tri shoes so they only have one strap which won't come all the way out, and they have holes in the sole to drain the water. Someone at a bike shop mentioned them since I'll mostly be doing tri's and not just riding. I know the shoes are debatable, but the only way I'm going t be able to do this is to do what I can when I can, look for deals and get one thing I can hold onto for a while.

I looked at other shoes, too, but I know I can't get new stuff every year or two, so I have to look long term at whatever I get, then hunt down a bargain. I like the shoes. And I like how easily the cleats pop into the pedals. I have the release tension really loose, so I can get out of the pedal pretty easily, as long as I'm not pulling up at the same time. It will definitely take some practice.

And bike shoes + hardwood floor = ice skating

2009-02-18 1:17 PM

User image

Master

I agree with everyone's suggestions as to look to get new goggles.  I have both the Vanquish and the Air XR and both are great.  The Air XRs fog a little easier.  I love my Vanquish goggles.  

The other thing you might look into is a cheap pair of corrective goggles.  TYR makes some; not sure if it gets you to the right corrective number: http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/3465.htm

Years ago I had LASIX done.  Prior to that, I was blind as a bat and never swam because I couldn't get water in my eyes with contacts (hard contact lenses).  I feel your pain.  

2009-02-18 1:19 PM
in reply to: #1961729

User image

Master
astafford - 2009-02-13 10:06 PM

I had a great swim this morning. I went 700 yards, worked on kick drills with fins and and freestyle swim with and without fins. My body just seemed to click today and it was nice. I still stopped a lot due to lack of endurance but if I can keep working on it, I should be fine by the race.

I officially registered for my sprint tri this week. It's April 4 and is at the YMCA where I'm swimming and working out right now, all in the town I live in. I think the familiarity will do me good.

I got a bike computer last week and I just ordered some clipless pedals and tri shoes on sale, so they should be here in a few days. I'm getting there. Now the only thing left to get is tri shorts. Eventually I'll get separate bike shorts and racing trunks, but for now, I'll swim mostly in my board shorts and do a few sessions in tri shorts (when I get them) to feel the difference and to get used to swimming with the chamois.

If this race goes well, I'll consider an Olympic tri in September, which is open water, another first for me.

Sounds fantastic.  Sugoi makes some cheap tri shorts but DeSotos are the gold standard in my opinion. 
2009-02-18 1:24 PM
in reply to: #1963207

User image

Master
HOLKYLE - 2009-02-15 3:26 PM

Jonathan,

How do you know when you are ready to go from Sprint to Olympic distance race?

Should we concentrate on getting better and faster at sprint distance before taking on Olympic? or should we tackle an olympic if we think we can hang w/ the endurance and distance? Is it just preference?

Been pondering it for a few days.

Holly

You are ready when you WANT to do an Oly.  I don't think you need to "get good" at doing sprints before stepping up to an Oly.  Plenty of people do IMs as their first triathlon ever.  If you can swim 1 mile, bike 24 miles and run/walk 6 miles (as seperate activities), you can finish an Oly.  

My first year, I did an Oly a month after finishing my first sprint.  

You can absolutly do it (provided you put in the training).  
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jonathan22's mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 15